• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nice Point Mafia Day 6 (5/8 to Lynch, Deadline: Saturday the 19th at Midnight)

D

Deleted member

@Clownbot: In that case, I'll rephrase that post:

Super Smash Bros. Fan said:
@Nicholas1024: No offense, but that was an OMGUS reply. Anytime you vote for a person because they voted for you and without giving legimate reason why (AKA random stuffs) is considered an OMGUS reply.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
First clues we want to look for: How many mafia members and independents in relation to town.
First off, Dragon Ball Z characters:
Wikipedia said:
2 Main characters
o 2.1 Goku
o 2.2 Bulma
o 2.3 Krillin
o 2.4 Piccolo
o 2.5 Gohan
o 2.6 Vegeta
o 2.7 Trunks
o 2.8 Frieza
o 2.9 Cell
o 2.10 Majin Buu
3 Secondary characters
o 3.1 Android #18
o 3.2 Baby
o 3.3 Chiaotzu
o 3.4 Chi Chi
o 3.5 Goten
o 3.6 Hercule
o 3.7 Master Roshi
o 3.8 Pan
o 3.9 Piccolo Daimao
o 3.10 Tien Shinhan
o 3.11 Videl
o 3.12 Yamcha
4 Other characters
o 4.1 Android #16
o 4.2 Android #17
o 4.3 Babidi
o 4.4 Dende
o 4.5 Doctor Gero
o 4.6 Emperor Pilaf
o 4.7 Evil Dragons
o 4.8 Garlic Jr.
o 4.9 Ginyu Force
o 4.10 Grandpa Gohan
o 4.11 Kami
o 4.12 King Kai
o 4.13 Oolong
o 4.14 Puar
o 4.15 Red Ribbon Army
o 4.16 Shenron
o 4.17 Uub
o 4.18 Yajirobe
o 4.19 Zarbon
This brings us with a slight problem in that there are so freaking many and we have no idea currently how close to the series our mod is following. With a 15 man game there shouldn’t be anymore than 5 non-town players is my own personal guess. This includes mafia, independents, and the jester (totally possible; Hercule, anyone?). With the large variety of baddies, it’s not unlikely there are two groups of mafia. Most of the baddies in DBZ show up in groups of 2 or 3 anyway!

Don’t role claim or anything, but as people die you should come back and look at this list and see what kind of characters are being used. This will allow us to see some trends that might give us a hint as to who the baddies are, how many groups of mafia there are, how many mafia there are, how many independents, etc., etc.

Keep in mind this is flavor, and nothing is guaranteed from it. Just keep this in mind as the game goes on, so if you see "Android 17" shows up as Co-Independent you can easily see that "Android 16" would be the "co" part of that group.

D

Deleted member

@SwordsRbroken: It was a joke during the RVS stage. Sorry for not clarifying that.

And I will read through Overswarm's long post since it's the first real post with much contents provided and will give my thoughts on it.

Cello_Marl

Smash Rookie
@Overswarm: Some characters in that list are from Grand Tour or feature primarily in the original series (like the Evil Dragons and the Red Ribbon army, respectively). Also, Mr. Satan/Hercule is probably vanilla (or psychologist looking for a serial killer Buu [that would be awesome]). Before the game began, I thought about potential bad guy combinations like Frieza-Guldo-Ginyu, Vegeta-Nappa-Saibamen, and Cell-Cell Jrs., but after the little introductory bit, I'm more inclined to think that the bad guy group consists of major villains (of their arcs) banded together. Raditz, Vegeta, Frieza, Gero, either 17 and 18 or Cell (they wouldn't be working together, and really, 16 was a good guy), Babidi (as a recruiter for Buu or Vegeta) or Buu. That also makes me think that certain character relationships could be present, but I doubt that we are at a given arc.

I'm interested in a Mirai Trunks name-claim. Under no circumstances should a town Vegeta claim, I think.

Cello_Marl

Smash Rookie
Actually, the opening flavor also says that personalities were changed from that time-space rip. We might not be able to use flavor at all, but that doesn't seem right to me. Ronike put a lot of effort into this game, and seemed very proud of it, and having someone like, say, Gokuu be mafia just seems haphazard.

Also, was anyone interested in a mass Dragon Ball search? Or a mass power up? I think it's probably best to go all-in one way or the other.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Actually, the opening flavor also says that personalities were changed from that time-space rip. We might not be able to use flavor at all, but that doesn't seem right to me. Ronike put a lot of effort into this game, and seemed very proud of it, and having someone like, say, Gokuu be mafia just seems haphazard.
Pretty sure what he meant was that people don't recognize that others are good or evil. Each character would still have the alignment that they naturally would (i.e Goku is town, Frieza is scum, etc.)

But all this discussion isn't really benefiting us now. We might want to get back to this after we actually learn more from flips but until then we should pass the time by other means.

Also, was anyone interested in a mass Dragon Ball search? Or a mass power up? I think it's probably best to go all-in one way or the other.
How so?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
?

I think you have a definite misunderstanding as to how dragon ball searching / powering up works. Or I do.

Cello_Marl

Smash Rookie
Mass Dragonball search would probably get all the balls in one Night. It's also possible that Bulma or someone with a dragon radar could act as a cop of sorts (if she doesn't guarantee an increased or 100% chance to find a Dragonball), if she found that someone was holding out on giving up a ball. This is speculative, but I think it's likely. Further, any scum that deviated wouldn't find/get any balls.

Mass power-up means that we're gaining a lot more total strength than scum, and means that any scum that deviate may still be detected in the same manner. Further, it ensures that scum can't take any Dragonballs when they gank someone (since we won't have them).

Cello_Marl

Smash Rookie
Each night we can either train or search. There are 15 of us. If we each had a 50% shot of finding a Dragon Ball on a search (probably at least that much or else we'd never find them all), it's likely that we'd find all 7 in one Night. We'd have to choose someone to trust with our wish, but I don't see how that choice matters (if you don't, just think about it).

Well, there would be a problem if we didn't have a doctor-like role, but that's not likely.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Vote: Cello Marl

I'm going to need a better explanation as to why you think everyone in town should do the same thing, why you think its a good idea WITHOUT saying "well he PROBABLY designed the game this way even though I have no guarantee", and WHICH one you'd choose.

So how about it?

Why should we all search for dragon balls?
Why should we all train simultaneously?
Which one do you think we should do?

Don't include "what ifs" and "probably"; that's relying on flavor without a single flip yet. Unless your role has been given a lot of extra special information, I doubt you'd have any sort of gruond to stand on with this. This idea of everyone in the game acting unanimously seems inherently flawed on a basic level. I'll explain why later, but I'd like to hear your (real) defense first, Cello.

Joke phase is over, people.

D

Deleted member

@Overswarm: Really good post there. You have officially earned the first town point in this game (Based off my opinion).

This is what we know:

1. The name is called Dragonball Z Mafia. Therefore, we can assume that it's based around Dragonball Z. If Empire Pilaf and Grandpa Gohan appeared anywhere in Dragonball Z, let me know. Otherwise, let's automatically ruled them out as I've only seen them in Dragonball and in the very beginning of Dragonball GT. Anyone not in Dragonball Z can go as well. I'm sure Baby isn't there as well, as he wasn't even mentioned in Dragonball Z, so he can go. We can also ignore mention of the Red Ribbon Army as well, since I've only heard them in active force in Dragonball.

2. There are fifteen players in the game. Therefore, most of the characters in the anime will not be present in this Mafia.

3. Shenron grants wishes. Therefore, he can be ruled out immediately.

4. There are four major sagas in the anime (There are a lot of minor sagas, but let's group them together). They are the Sayian Saga, Namekian Saga, Android Saga, and Majin Buu Saga in that order.

5. Large set-ups usually have independents.

6. Jesters are frowned upon in Mafia games. The only major thing I disagree with in Overswarm's post.

Now we should try to fit the puzzle (If we want to):

I'm thinking that we're using the characters as of the Majin Buu Saga. I believe there are three Mafia's and 1-2 Independents with the rest being townies.

3 Mafia's, 1 Independent, and 11 Townies:

Mafioso: Freiza, Cell, Majin Buu (In Super Buu/Kid Buu form)

These are considered one of the most major enemies in the anime and most of the saga they were present in was dedicated to them. Therefore, we can establish them as the three villans.

Independent: Vegata

Vegata was one of the prominent villans during the Sayian Saga. Later on, he becomes an anti-hero and remains so throughout the rest of the series. If we're using the Sayian Saga, Vegata would be one of the villans, but let's not go into details.

11 Townie's: Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Trunks/Kid Trunks, Goten, Bulma, Chi-Chi, Tien, Yamcha, Chiaotzu

But let's break them down further:

Town Masons: Goten & Kid Trunks

Both characters have a strong friendships with each other. They have different personalities, but there strengths are similar. Plus they are the only people aside from Goku and Vegata who I have witnessed fused with the Fusion Dance in the anime. However, given that Kid Trunks is not mentioned in the game, we can automatically rule Town Masons out.

Vinalla Townie: Krillin, Bulma, Chi-Chi, Yamcha, Tien, and Chiatzu

They appear a fair amount of times in at least one saga but they never make any significant contributions to the series aside from possibly Sayian Saga, but even then, I've only seen that happen with the battle against Nappa.

Other Power Roles: Goku, Gohan, Piccolo

These are signficant characters in the anime. Each one have done a lot in the series, especially Goku and Gohan. They are the most likely people with power roles.

Now if there's 10 Townies, 2 Independents, and 3 Mafia's, here are the possible secario's:

Mafia: Same as above.

Independents: Really anything that were in groups of two. The most famous of this is Android 17/18. They were one of the villans during the Android Saga. However, Android 18 is at least a neutral character during the Majin Buu Saga, further hinting them as independents instead of villans.

Townies: Above plus Vegata.

Same secnario apply except for one thing. Vegata, while an anti-hero, is still an hero. That means while he doesn't want to, he does help save the world on numerous occasions. He would fit under the Power Role section.

Basically my thoughts on the game. Now before you got after me for trying to guess the set-ups, just want to you people to know that even Mafia members don't know how many townies and Independent players there are.

M.K

Level 55
SSBF, I'd have to disagree with Bulma being a Vanilla Townie role. In the series, she was the first person to actually go search for the DragonBalls AND had a radar, so....well, I don't know what role that would fill, but I don't think she'd be a townie.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
@Overswarm: Really good post there. You have officially earned the first town point in this game (Based off my opinion).

This is what we know:

1. The name is called Dragonball Z Mafia. Therefore, we can assume that it's based around Dragonball Z. If Empire Pilaf and Grandpa Gohan appeared anywhere in Dragonball Z, let me know. Otherwise, let's automatically ruled them out as I've only seen them in Dragonball and in the very beginning of Dragonball GT. Anyone not in Dragonball Z can go as well. I'm sure Baby isn't there as well, as he wasn't even mentioned in Dragonball Z, so he can go. We can also ignore mention of the Red Ribbon Army as well, since I've only heard them in active force in Dragonball.

2. There are fifteen players in the game. Therefore, most of the characters in the anime will not be present in this Mafia.

4. There are four major sagas in the anime (There are a lot of minor sagas, but let's group them together). They are the Sayian Saga, Namekian Saga, Android Saga, and Majin Buu Saga in that order.

6. Jesters are frowned upon in Mafia games. The only major thing I disagree with in Overswarm's post.

I'm thinking that we're using the characters as of the Majin Buu Saga. I believe there are three Mafia's and 1-2 Independents with the rest being townies.

These are considered one of the most major enemies in the anime and most of the saga they were present in was dedicated to them. Therefore, we can establish them as the three villans.

Vegata was one of the prominent villans during the Sayian Saga. Later on, he becomes an anti-hero and remains so throughout the rest of the series. If we're using the Sayian Saga, Vegata would be one of the villans, but let's not go into details.

11 Townie's: Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Trunks/Kid Trunks, Goten, Bulma, Chi-Chi, Tien, Yamcha, Chiaotzu

Both characters have a strong friendships with each other. They have different personalities, but there strengths are similar. Plus they are the only people aside from Goku and Vegata who I have witnessed fused with the Fusion Dance in the anime. However, given that Kid Trunks is not mentioned in the game, we can automatically rule Town Masons out.

They appear a fair amount of times in at least one saga but they never make any significant contributions to the series aside from possibly Sayian Saga, but even then, I've only seen that happen with the battle against Nappa.

These are signficant characters in the anime. Each one have done a lot in the series, especially Goku and Gohan. They are the most likely people with power roles.

Now if there's 10 Townies, 2 Independents, and 3 Mafia's, here are the possible secario's:

Independents: Really anything that were in groups of two. The most famous of this is Android 17/18. They were one of the villans during the Android Saga. However, Android 18 is at least a neutral character during the Majin Buu Saga, further hinting them as independents instead of villans.

Same secnario apply except for one thing. Vegata, while an anti-hero, is still an hero. That means while he doesn't want to, he does help save the world on numerous occasions. He would fit under the Power Role section.

Basically my thoughts on the game. Now before you got after me for trying to guess the set-ups, just want to you people to know that even Mafia members don't know how many townies and Independent players there are.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm seriously starting to wonder if people have extra information posted in their PMs that relates to other characters.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
First clues we want to look for: How many mafia members and independents in relation to town.
First off, Dragon Ball Z characters:

This brings us with a slight problem in that there are so freaking many and we have no idea currently how close to the series our mod is following. With a 15 man game there shouldn’t be anymore than 5 non-town players is my own personal guess. This includes mafia, independents, and the jester (totally possible; Hercule, anyone?). With the large variety of baddies, it’s not unlikely there are two groups of mafia. Most of the baddies in DBZ show up in groups of 2 or 3 anyway!

Don’t role claim or anything, but as people die you should come back and look at this list and see what kind of characters are being used. This will allow us to see some trends that might give us a hint as to who the baddies are, how many groups of mafia there are, how many mafia there are, how many independents, etc., etc.

Keep in mind this is flavor, and nothing is guaranteed from it. Just keep this in mind as the game goes on, so if you see "Android 17" shows up as Co-Independent you can easily see that "Android 16" would be the "co" part of that group.
while the flavor is nice and all, I feel it's way too early to even talk about stuff like this. Like Cello suggested, I rather wait and see what flips before I even try to put two and two together (but even then, there's like an effing load of characters to look/piece together)

This is what we know:

...err...kay. I'm going to ask you a simple question to all of this. What benefit is there in sharing us this...? Especially since mafia can use this in their night kills? The last thing anyone should do is give more information

Way to contribute SSBFail.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
while the flavor is nice and all, i feel it's way too early to even talk about stuff like this. Like cello suggested, i rather wait and see what flips before i even try to put two and two together (but even then, there's like an effing load of characters to look/piece together)
.. .?

Cello_Marl

Smash Rookie
@OS: In essence, you asked me to not speculate...on speculation.

My propositions were entirely based on what I perceive as likely. Further, what I referred to as likely is based not on the flavor, but on the game specific mechanics. Could you see there being less than a 50% chance that we each have to find a Dragonball? There are two actions we can take, train or search, in addition to any other actions. We can assume that under normal circumstances about half could be expected to do each action, so 7 or 8. If there was a 25% chance, that would be an expected 2 balls each night (or about 3 if Bulma has an increased search rate, as she'd be sure to search [yes, this is based off of flavor, but this is a themed game], or Day 5 before all the balls are even in play (or Day 4 if Bulma is a searcher instead of a Ball-cop), much less able to be consolidated. This is still certainly possible, but I don't think it's likely.

OS said:
This idea of everyone in the game acting unanimously seems inherently flawed on a basic level. I'll explain why later, but I'd like to hear your (real) defense first, Cello.
Why are you unable to say so now? It should just be your opinion.

SSBF said:
However, given that Kid Trunks is not mentioned in the game, we can automatically rule Town Masons out.
What do you mean by "not mentioned" in the game?

Also, nitpicking, Android and Cell Sagas are both separate and major. Android saga includes 19 and 20 as well as 16, 17 and 18.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
WTF is everyone talking about Bulma?

Also, I like you Clownbot.

*hugs*

Overswarm

is laughing at you
@OS: In essence, you asked me to not speculate...on speculation.

My propositions were entirely based on what I perceive as likely. Further, what I referred to as likely is based not on the flavor, but on the game specific mechanics. Could you see there being less than a 50% chance that we each have to find a Dragonball? There are two actions we can take, train or search, in addition to any other actions. We can assume that under normal circumstances about half could be expected to do each action, so 7 or 8. If there was a 25% chance, that would be an expected 2 balls each night (or about 3 if Bulma has an increased search rate, as she'd be sure to search [yes, this is based off of flavor, but this is a themed game], or Day 5 before all the balls are even in play (or Day 4 if Bulma is a searcher instead of a Ball-cop), much less able to be consolidated. This is still certainly possible, but I don't think it's likely.
I'd like you to answer the questions as stated. No wiggle room for anyone.

m going to need a better explanation as to why you think everyone in town should do the same thing, ", and WHICH one you'd choose.

So how about it?

Why should we all search for dragon balls?
Why should we all train simultaneously?
Which one do you think we should do?
Were you able to type "Bulma's a Ball-Cop" without laughing?

Explain why you think its a good idea WITHOUT saying "well he PROBABLY designed the game this way even though I have no guarantee that this is the case"

Why are you unable to say so now? It should just be your opinion.
Saying "I'd like to hear why you said X Y and Z, because I don't like where they could be coming from" followed by "I think it's bad because of A B and C" before your response kind of makes questions useless.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Bah, you all started before I got here. I hate Ryker for getting replaced.

Rockin's so right lol. Don't talk about what characters could be what role, SSBF (and everyone else, for that matter). Some may have post restrictions or maybe will have to character claim later on and we don't want to tell mafia who to kill obviously. Or mafia detective who only got character names could exist... and you get the point.

@Cello. I was under the impression that we had a 100% chance to get a dragonball if we went to search for one. I was thinking that the real challenge of collecting all 7 is getting the other dragonballs from the other players. I think we should get a solid understanding of the game mechanics before we make plans for our night actions/training/etc.

@OS, I hope that when you explain later, you explain why you believe Cello is scum because of his plan, and not just why you think his plan is flawed. You seem VERY confident in yourself and I can't see it personally. Very odd, imo. Also I lol'd at ball-cop.

Ronike

Smash Ace
I will not answer questions on how the dragonballs will be found or how searching works. Pre-emptively answering that question.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
@OS, I hope that when you explain later, you explain why you believe Cello is scum because of his plan, and not just why you think his plan is flawed. You seem VERY confident in yourself and I can't see it personally. Very odd, imo. Also I lol'd at ball-cop.
You seem very confident that I think he's scum.

Care to explain?

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer

This is what we know:

In this post: Lots and lots of fluff. Everyone, stop talking about what characters can be mafia, and in SSBF in particulars case here, speculating what roles characters may have. How does any of this help us? If alignments aren't switched, scum will have safe claims. It's not like someone would actually claim Cell if they were mafia.

So far most of what has gone on is fluff. Mafia numbers, flavor mechanics, these things are nothing that will help us, and are, quite simply, feigned contribution. These conversations do nothing but do not invoke any scumtells, and simply makes those talking about it look like they're trying to contribute when the discussion leads to a dead end anyway.

The topic of whether to all search or train is pointless. None of us knows how this game works, so why try to limit people. Everyone needs to make their own decisions on what will be the best path for them to focus on.

Nice early look at those who have been discussing flavor/mafia numbers/potential roles, and I'll be keeping my eye on them.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
lol@OS. Pre-emptive clarification. When I said "you think he's scum", I meant "you think he's scummy." Same concept, but you might interpret it differently.

Vote: Cello Marl
Don't include "what ifs" and "probably"; that's relying on flavor without a single flip yet. Unless your role has been given a lot of extra special information, I doubt you'd have any sort of gruond to stand on with this. This idea of everyone in the game acting unanimously seems inherently flawed on a basic level. I'll explain why later, but I'd like to hear your (real) defense first, Cello.

Joke phase is over, people.
You don't make an offense on someone you think is town, obviously. You voted him. You ask him for a defense. You say that RVS is over, meaning you're entirely serious with this accusation. Also, just speculation, but your tone is interrogative. To me it feels like your post is directed at someone you believe, at this point, to be scum.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
lol@OS. Pre-emptive clarification. When I said "you think he's scum", I meant "you think he's scummy." Same concept, but you might interpret it differently.
Different words have different meanings, yes.

Still, I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

You don't make an offense on someone you think is town, obviously. You voted him. You ask him for a defense. You say that RVS is over, meaning you're entirely serious with this accusation. Also, just speculation, but your tone is interrogative. To me it feels like your post is directed at someone you believe, at this point, to be scum.
That's not necessarily true. If I knew they were scum I'd say "this guy is scum, vote for him". What I do know is that he gave us a very, very bad idea. So, I voted for him. This is known as "pressure"; welcome to Mafia 101.

Had I hammered him or been asking for others to vote, then sure, that's a big deal. But consider a one-on vote with a bunch of questions as a giant FoS.

It's entirely possible he's a townie that just had a really bad idea, but I don't think there's any reason to softly explain to him why his idea is wrong and then let him go back to skipping through wildflowers. He can explain himself.

People mess up; it'll happen all game for town and mafia both. But when town messes up, they're either making an "oops, I didn't know this" mistake or a mistake that could actually cost town dearly. After inactives, those that make big mistakes are generally the ones you want to give the boot to.

So no, I'm not coming in shooting my pistols and trying to kill Cello, but I would like answers to see why he posted what he did.

Cello_Marl

Smash Rookie
@Overswarm: By enforcing a town-only division from scum, then we may be able to give ourselves an additional advantage that we otherwise would not have. I already explained what I think the advantages of each decision would be. Those are my reasons for wanting to do all of one or the other. I have no preference for either action, as I can think of various reasons (that shouldn't be said, because they are traps [I like traps]) to go for either. That's why I asked what other people thought, but if I change my mind, I'll say so.

However, even if people would prefer to test mechanics, I think it would be best if he have accountability from people and have them declare what actions (of search and train) they took the Night before. No secrets. If people are worried about getting killed for saying that they have a ball, then I'll hold onto them.

@Mod: If we make a wish, can we regather the balls to make another?

So, why is my idea so terrible?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
@Overswarm: By enforcing a town-only division from scum, then we may be able to give ourselves an additional advantage that we otherwise would not have. I already explained what I think the advantages of each decision would be. Those are my reasons for wanting to do all of one or the other. I have no preference for either action, as I can think of various reasons (that shouldn't be said, because they are traps [I like traps]) to go for either. That's why I asked what other people thought, but if I change my mind, I'll say so.

However, even if people would prefer to test mechanics, I think it would be best if he have accountability from people and have them declare what actions (of search and train) they took the Night before. No secrets. If people are worried about getting killed for saying that they have a ball, then I'll hold onto them.

@Mod: If we make a wish, can we regather the balls to make another?

So, why is my idea so terrible?
Haha, wow. I'll get to this when I'm at work tomorrow.

"Don't worry guys, we should let everyone know exactly what we did despite there being no way to see if we're being honest. Also let me hold onto the dragon balls."

D

Deleted member

Since a few people got after me for theorizing on what the characters could be, I'm going to lay off on that. However, I'd like to respond to Overswarm about something.

Overswarm, Cello Marl has defindently not commited a scum tell on his behalf. All he was doing was speculating on how we can figure the game out, you, me, and to a lesser extend, Meta-Kirby, are doing the same thing.

Since most people don't like our way of playing, we might as well start scum hunting and stop guessing.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to make an more content filled post after I get home from school but I just want to say that the reactions we've been getting are really interesting and activity is strong.

See you at 5:00PM.

Top Bottom