• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
at this point there's no easier or ease, its literally if Nintendo wants it or not.

nobody will say no we don't want out character in smash

when smash ultimate the game has outsold most series's total sales.

also if krystal is to come shes gonna need a star fox revival shes a main character in pretty much.
That is interesting, and perhaps too. If it means even more money that can be made, I can see Nintendo accepting Crash and Spyro if Microsoft offered to have them in as characters.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I remember those days. I also remember being pissed at first that Wolf got in instead of Krystal just because it felt like a disservice because she was talked about so often.

And then I started to think for myself instead of just going by what people were hyping up the most (this was before I was a member and I was a teen that didn't do any real research yet and followed the crowds) and then was glad for Wolf a lot more.
I was kind of in the same boat.

I used to support Krystal a lot simply on the merit of her being a major and popular Star Fox character, but the Star Fox not getting any new games (plus learning how hated Command was) made me drop some of my support for her.

That said, I still think both she and Wolf still have their own merits. It'd be cool to see them both as playable characters in the same SSB game along with Fox and Falco someday.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I still want a Warriors character for Smash. In fact, the one I want the most may have to be Nobunaga, although the most likely Warriors pick would probably be Lu Bu, which I’d also love.

But of course, we all know Hayabusa would have a much better chance.
koei tecmo would def want warriors over ninja gaiden, its basically their genre

but they are all historical so ehh.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Man, do y'all remember when Masked Man (from Mother 3) of all characters was requested?

That was a trip.
YES. That request died so fast, so hard and I can’t say I’m surprised. I wonder if even a Mother 3 remake would get people talking about him again, or if he would still be too obscure.

Getting Masked Man over Lucas is definitely high up on my list of “time travel changes.” Such a sick design.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Remember when Captain Crunch had a support thread?

...Yes, that's a real meme support thread that was here back in the Brawl era. I wasn't a member here at the time either, but I eventually found it while going back through old Brawl support threads out of curiosity.

Cereal mascot fighting game when, video game companies?

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Remember when Captain Crunch had a support thread?

...Yes, that's a real meme support thread that was here back in the Brawl era. I wasn't a member here at the time either, but I eventually found it while going back through old Brawl support threads out of curiosity.

Cereal mascot fighting game when, video game companies?
JESUS ****ING CHRIST I THOUGHT THAT WAS A FEVER DREAM FOR A MOMENT

-clear throat-
Yeah, I remember the propaganda being pushed that Cap'n Crunch was "Sakurai's favorite cereal".
To this day, I don't remember where that started.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wasn't the big selling point that he got "more votes" (read: had more mentions) on "Sakurai's poll" (read: email responses) than Lucas?
Honestly I don't know. I never gave Masked Man much thought.

YES. That request died so fast, so hard and I can’t say I’m surprised. I wonder if even a Mother 3 remake would get people talking about him again, or if he would still be too obscure.

Getting Masked Man over Lucas is definitely high up on my list of “time travel changes.” Such a sick design.
Earthbound is perhaps the single most overvalued franchise Nintendo owns. A Mother 3 remake would flood the boards with half the main cast being deemed necessary somehow.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Man, do y'all remember when Masked Man (from Mother 3) of all characters was requested?

That was a trip.
Yeah, would have been cool. Man I kind of miss the days where more obscure secondary Nintendo characters like Masked Man, Krystal and Samurai Goroh were brought up as serious contenders. Now they are dead in the water, and it’s all about what hot new 3rd party series can be added next, damn kids don’t know what they’re missing out on I tell ya.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Retro or not, I am of the opinion that Kaboom Clown is nothing more than meme pick for the Cereal Mascot Fighting Game and I will not apologize for that.
As a dedicated Count Chocula main, you really need to stop insulting more obscure cereals like this. Kaboom Clown would have fantastic moveset potential.

His up B could be his famous balloon. His down B could be tasting bad.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
koei tecmo would def want warriors over ninja gaiden, its basically their genre

but they are all historical so ehh.
I wouldn’t say definitely but I do think there’s a solid argument for a Warriors character. Hyabusa is probably generally more recognizable than any particular Musou character due to the ensemble nature of their casts and Ryu Hyabusa is featured in both Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive. That said, I think Warriors as a series is a lot bigger than either Ninja Gaiden or DoA and has inspired several similar games like Sengoku Basara as well as spin-offs from established franchises like Hyrule Warriors.

I think the biggest hurdle for a Warriors character is the fact that the characters are based on actual historical figures. Either way, there’s nothing stopping us from getting both Hyabusa and Lu Bu since other companies have already gotten multiple characters in one game. If the historical aspect is an issue, they could always go with one of their original characters like Orochi (X) from Warriors Orochi instead.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't know. I never gave Masked Man much thought.

Earthbound is perhaps the single most overvalued franchise Nintendo owns. A Mother 3 remake would flood the boards with half the main cast being deemed necessary somehow.
it already has 2/3 of the mc's

more than fire emblem.

its one of the best series repped for its small size.

if smash started today i dont even know if it would be mentioned at all.

or if it would be as popular, or if undertale would exist.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
My memory of pre-Brawl is a bit fuzzy; was Fierce Deity Link really as requested as I remember him being?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My memory of pre-Brawl is a bit fuzzy; was Fierce Deity Link really as requested as I remember him being?
I don't think so?

I remember Toon Link, ( called Celda Link or WW Link), Midna and Skull Kid being really requested.

I remember people thinking Fierce Diety should be a final smash. But I don't remember a lot of people requesting him. It wouldn't shock me though. The mid 2000s were the height of his popularity in the Zelda fandom.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I remember one person saying they wanted Fierce Deity Link in what would be the next game after Melee during the Melee days.

This was in the early 2000s at GameFAQs, probably long before it became the place it is today.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Guys...

I think I just remembered a Brawl era request that aged worse than Masked Man.

Do you guys remmeber when Vaati was a big request?

Do half of you guys even remember Vaati exists? (He's so cool!)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Guys...

In a few words...

Oh yes I do!

I still would like to see him, but I know that is very unlikely.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Guys...

Yes I do. While he wasn't high on my list for Smash reps I wanted, he was one of my most wanted characters for Hyrule Warriors.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I remember a lot of people (including myself) being against one off Zelda characters being added to Smash, only wanting focus of recurring main characters. I wonder how many people oppose this line of thinking now that it’s led to no new unique Zelda character in over 20 years.

I certainly don’t care anymore, especially considering characters like Skull Kid and Midna are still some of the best and most memorable characters in the series. Playable Midna riding Wolf Link would ****ing rock, I don’t care how old Twilight Princess is, do it cowards!

I feel like Vaati was brought up mainly because he was in multiple games which is a rarity for the Zelda series. His games being the worst selling in the series definitely didn’t help though.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Guys...

Absolutely. I remember some various stuff. Poor guy didn't keep the popularity like others did, but he's really damn cool as a choice. It also helps he has more than one canon form that could work in some way(besides just the Final Smash)~

Laniv

Smash Champion
Guys...

metal gear aging.gif

Poor, poor old Vaati. Outpaced by Toon Link, Midna and Skull Kid in Smash speculation, disappears from the series after Minish Cap, a no-show for Hyrule Warriors like the rest of his Capcom Zelda pals despite appearing more than them... probably the unluckiest Zelda character since Tingle.

With that said, the old Brawl veteran in me still wants the guy. Goodness knows we could use more pure magic users and wind-themed characters in this.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
hmmm.

im gonna see what the 10 best selling Japanese series are that aren't in smash with a character not counting games that would not fit via smashes rules

1 resident evil (154mil)
2 monster hunter(97mil)
3 dark souls (35mil)
4 Frogger (33mil)
5 devil may cry (30mil)
6 tales (29mil)
7 nintendogs (27mil)
8 Puyo Puyo (25mil)
9 Like a dragon (21mil)
10 Super robot wars (20mil)

skipped Efootball and power pros cause sports players
skipped brain age cause it features a real life neuroscientist
skipped simple cause i dont think it has characters
skipped warriors cause thats been mentioned to have historicle characters

this list is mostly outdated muck.
with some being more up to date

bomberman probably is up there but digital is not reported but that series has like 70 games im sure its hit 20mil.

layton, yo kai watch and inazuma eleven might be up there.

but in terms of big series left its mostly western ones at this point.

who keeps on buying frogger games

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Guys...

I can do better tying back to EarthBound.

Poo.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Oh man, you all think Masked Man and Krystal fell off? Allow me to remind you of Knuckle Joe. He used to have one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) Kirby supportbases pre-Bandana Dee. Yes, really, Knuckle Joe, that guy. Some of it had to be from the anime, but... I'm like 80% sure most of it came from him being an assist trophy in Brawl and Smashers just being very unfamiliar with Kirby at the time. When was the last time you heard anyone ask for him? Probably eons ago. You can still see some vague traces of it in smash rosters on deviantart and google images, every once in a while he still pops up. Yet you never see anyone ask for him. He was never as big as say, Krystal/Lyn/Skull Kid etc, but I can't think of anyone else who vanished from all speculation that hard.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
D3 publisher is owned by Bandai Namco. I can see one of the games with actual characters representing the Simple series.
srry i missed the new ones i looked back and re researched, i saw the old ones and then called i it a day my fault

its kind of heard to research simple though, either way i dont think its likely.

smash already hit most of the big Japanese series so a lot of future 3rd parties will probably be western.

Top Bottom