• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
All this talk about collectable critters reminds me of how little Mametchi (or any Tamagotchi content) is brought up when it comes to Smash discussion, for some reason.

I think it's a sleeper Namco pick. I feel like people underestimate how big of an impact this series has had.
There’s an easy explanation. Morons disqualify tamagotchi as video games.

There will now be a heated debate that lasts five pages about if what I’ve just said is correct or not.:pcfire:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
All this talk about collectable critters reminds me of how little Mametchi (or any Tamagotchi content) is brought up when it comes to Smash discussion, for some reason.

I think it's a sleeper Namco pick. I feel like people underestimate how big of an impact this series has had.
that's cause they then made digimon which is better

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

He's perfect! ...for a Namco Roulette sprite.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Out of Paldea's starters I think that Quaquaval is actually the best fit for Smash.
Right, because Blaziken is a great fit for Smash and Quaquaval is the wet discount version.

Serious answer, though, is that I do agree that Quaquaval is pretty easy to envision in a fighting game. Though so are many other Pokemon, starters or otherwise, old or new. In this case, Quaquaval is decidedly less popular and promoted than several others, and Sakurai presumably won't be looking at gen 9 mons this time without knowing that.

What if we got another Fighting-type Pokémon?
Isn't that just Incineroar? I mean, just look at him. He's a Fighting-type. Him not actually being Fighting-type just makes it seem like they were afraid of getting complaints again about too many Fire/Fighting starters.

Serious answer, though, is Blaziken again. I like Machamp and Heracross, but they're probably a bit far down the list within their respective gens. Though Machamp got some marketing spotlight in Pokken and Heracross is one of the most popular Bug-types ever next to Scizor, which is something.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
There’s an easy explanation. Morons disqualify tamagotchi as video games.

There will now be a heated debate that lasts five pages about if what I’ve just said is correct or not.:pcfire:
Do those same people prop up Digimon as the next rep? Because if so, I feel like I might have dealt with something similar...

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Do those same people prop up Digimon as the next rep? Because if so, I feel like I might have dealt with something similar...
Not once have I seen people say one counts and not the other. If anything, one never gets mentioned at all (Tamagatchi) while the other has people arguing the other doesn't count because "virtual pets aren't video games" or using the anime-focused aspect to disregard it (Digimon).

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Anyway, back to Eevee, my opinion is that a lot of people seem to hold it to an unreasonably high standard. It's not like anyone thinks Eevee isn't feasible; some people just claim it'd automatically be boring just based on its design, which I think is false.
Eevee has a lot of personality and can take that cuteness in a very expressive direction, arguably even further than the likes of Jiggs and Squirtle do. It has the learnset to execute that in Smash, with everything from Sand Attacks and Swifts to Charms and adorable Tackles. It's a true quadruped for those who are into that. It has latent multi-elemental powers which could be another direction to take it in.
Add in that Eevee is already massively popular and naturally mascot-y, with massively popular evos who could at the least cameo in the FS, and the burden of proof I feel is more on those trying to argue it's not interesting than its proponents. Like, you already have a character who is 100% feasible, highly popular, very recognizable and iconic, and has personality/theming that is easy to build around...it would have to be an extremely dull moveset for that not to be a good choice.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You're not getting that sponsorship, so no need to oversell.
You'll still get your precious fursuit starter in the event we get Eevee too, no need to whine that someone wants Pokemon reps to be visually diverse.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Anyway, back to Eevee, my opinion is that a lot of people seem to hold it to an unreasonably high standard. It's not like anyone thinks Eevee isn't feasible; some people just claim it'd automatically be boring just based on its design, which I think is false.
Eevee has a lot of personality and can take that cuteness in a very expressive direction, arguably even further than the likes of Jiggs and Squirtle do. It has the learnset to execute that in Smash, with everything from Sand Attacks and Swifts to Charms and adorable Tackles. It's a true quadruped for those who are into that. It has latent multi-elemental powers which could be another direction to take it in.
Add in that Eevee is already massively popular and naturally mascot-y, with massively popular evos who could at the least cameo in the FS, and the burden of proof I feel is more on those trying to argue it's not interesting than its proponents. Like, you already have a character who is 100% feasible, highly popular, very recognizable and iconic, and has personality/theming that is easy to build around...it would have to be an extremely dull moveset for that not to be a good choice.
This is very similar to how I feel towards Meowth. He doesn't really have the same issue of "feasibility and being held to a high standard" but in being seen as a somehow dull choice due it's typing and being from Gen 1. Maybe it's dull in comparison to some other choices, but there's no shortage of interesting directions to take his moveset. Even if they go the simplest possible route with his moveset, which would probably be a scrappy, combo heavy, close range brawler, I still have no doubt that that would ultimately be received really well and would give him a nice place on the roster.

If I'm being honest though, I personally would want them to go hard with Eevee. It's popular enough that I truly wouldn't mind them giving it the most complicated moveset we've ever seen in order to incorporate all 8 evolutions. I always liked the idea of starting out as Eevee - who would be intentionally weak and uninteresting. Then once you reach like 100% or get a KO you evolve into one of the eeveelutions, with it being dependent on your playstyle (i.e. you get Umbreon if you shield a lot, Jolteon if you overuse dash attacks, Espeon if you use a lot of projectiles, etc.) and then you stay as that evolution for the rest of the match. They wouldn't need to be totally unique, but with enough differences in special moves and stats to make each of them feel special. I feel like the pseudo-randomness of evolving would be fun because 1. Players would have to discover themselves how to get the different evolutions and 2. If there is a specific evo that you prefer, then you have an added challenge during the first few minutes of the match.

This might not be the best idea, but I'd want something to that effect if they were to incorporate Eevee. Go big, or go home.
I just want Tinkaton. It earned it's popularity and wasn't given free promotion by TPC by virtue of being a starter like Meowscarada.
Big agree. I've been on the Meowth/Eevee train for a while because I like honoring the classics, but Tinkaton speaks to me. Also kinda funny because everyone was just talking about type representation and I was like "yeah that's why Tinkaton would be awesome because that way we get two new types!" But I'm actually dumb because I somehow forgot that we already have both of those types represented with Jigglypuff and Lucario. Definitely goes to show how little typing actually plays a factor in making a character unique.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I don't know how it would really function, but all this Namco talk really has me wanting a Time Crisis stage of some sort in Smash...
If that were to happen, we’d need a Time Crisis Medley remix:

And a remix of Wild Dog's Theme:

And maybe a remix of Sunrise/Sunset

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
This is very similar to how I feel towards Meowth. He doesn't really have the same issue of "feasibility and being held to a high standard" but in being seen as a somehow dull choice due it's typing and being from Gen 1. Maybe it's dull in comparison to some other choices, but there's no shortage of interesting directions to take his moveset. Even if they go the simplest possible route with his moveset, which would probably be a scrappy, combo heavy, close range brawler, I still have no doubt that that would ultimately be received really well and would give him a nice place on the roster.

If I'm being honest though, I personally would want them to go hard with Eevee. It's popular enough that I truly wouldn't mind them giving it the most complicated moveset we've ever seen in order to incorporate all 8 evolutions. I always liked the idea of starting out as Eevee - who would be intentionally weak and uninteresting. Then once you reach like 100% or get a KO you evolve into one of the eeveelutions, with it being dependent on your playstyle (i.e. you get Umbreon if you shield a lot, Jolteon if you overuse dash attacks, Espeon if you use a lot of projectiles, etc.) and then you stay as that evolution for the rest of the match. They wouldn't need to be totally unique, but with enough differences in special moves and stats to make each of them feel special. I feel like the pseudo-randomness of evolving would be fun because 1. Players would have to discover themselves how to get the different evolutions and 2. If there is a specific evo that you prefer, then you have an added challenge during the first few minutes of the match.

This might not be the best idea, but I'd want something to that effect if they were to incorporate Eevee. Go big, or go home.
The issue is the Eevolutions' body types are dissimilar enough that it would be difficult to incorporate them all into a fighter. It would be a lot of work. When people say Eevee is boring, they're doing so under the assumption that mid-battle evolution is off the table. But I think even under that paradigm, Eevee still can be made interesting if you look beyond the surface-level "gen 1 Normal-type" descriptors.

I don't think Meowth would be boring either, as he also exudes personality and a focus on claw swipes and playing dirty would be unlike anything else we have, but how you value him depends a lot on how you value roles in the anime.

But yeah typing is largely immaterial when it comes to Smash. It's better to look at how they behave in canon, and how those actions and abilities translate into Smash gameplay.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
When people say Eevee is boring
I think it's more like "stop wanting Pokemon reps to be repetitive, now excuse me while I hope for Pokemon reps to be repetitive in a different way"

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think it's more like "stop wanting Pokemon reps to be repetitive, now excuse me while I hope for Pokemon reps to be repetitive in a different way"
With the exception of Pikachu and Pichu, obviously, do any of the Pokemon play the same? They all feel pretty unique to me. And I don’t see anyone wanting the next Pokemon to be a Greninja clone or something.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
The best thing to do for Eevee is to enhance its Poké Ball summon by having it able to randomly evolve into one of its evolutions and do an attack including the chance it doesn't evolve and just does its tackle thing from For and Ultimate.

Then you got what literally defines Eevee in a feasible manner.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Is this in reference to people not wanting more gen 1 reps?
Because yeah there is definitely some of that, too, in addition to people claiming that Eevee has no moveset potential.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
My ultra-biased pick for a Pokémon character would probably be Iron Valiant. That being said, literally anything that is not a starter would probably make me pog. I don't even dislike the Paldea starters - they're certainly better than the criminally boring Galar ones - but like, come on.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really like the idea of Eevee. It's a cute ever green Pokemon that can make a fun moveset, even without the developmental impossibilities of including it's evolutions.

But the constant Incineroar bashing that's included with it is pretty obnoxious. I can like both Eevee and Incineroar guys.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really like the idea of Eevee. It's a cute ever green Pokemon that can make a fun moveset, even without the developmental impossibilities of including it's evolutions.

But the constant Incineroar bashing that's included with it is pretty obnoxious. I can like both Eevee and Incineroar guys.
Same. Hell, Incineroar wasn't my preferred choice, but it's very awesome regardless. I liked Mimikyu the most.

As for Eevee, I don't see a moveset potential issue. I just agree it's hard to make the Eeveelutions work well. Especially as there's no feasible way to have multiple movesets(to the point of 4 or more, since you can't just have two of the original Eeveelutions either).

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
My personal dream Pokémon is Pinsir.
Did you know that Pinsir has a pair of massive horns. Protruding from the surface of these horns are thorns. These thorns are driven deeply into the foe’s body when the pincer closes, making it tough for the foe to escape?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
When Incineroar was first revealed I was pretty down on them. Like "Ugh, really? What a downer way to end things."

Then I played the character and was forced to take back every mean thing I ever said or thought.
What a ridiculously fun fighter to play as. Easily the Pokémon rep I enjoy the most. I hope they never get cut.

Last edited:
Top Bottom