• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Actually I think the semi-abstract cosmic threat angle works pretty well for a Smash story mode; any flaws in SSE are more in execution than concept I feel. For something like Smash, you kind of have to take the perspective that the plot itself doesn't matter too much, it's mostly there to provide a string of excuses for interesting character interactions. Mysterious enemies cropping up around the game universe, forcing unlikely allies to team up against them, works totally fine for that. Like I said, you just have to execute well, limiting the cheesy moments and eventually coalescing the conflict into some final showdown with the big bad.

I don't expect a full-on SSE-style mode, and I understand the troubles of trying to afford it resource-wise and execute it with a bigger roster. So, I've accepted moving on from it but it would be a dream to see a fully polished and even more expansive version of SSE.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
"That's right! Smash 6's first Fighter Pass will consist of Heavy from Team Fortress, Gordon Freeman from Half-Life, a Goomba, Chell from Portal, and Coach from Left 4 Dead!"
"We didn't really include a story this time, but with the assistance of Valve we developed a new mode. SFM, or Smash Filmmaker. Make the cutscenes yourselves and never ask me for anything ever again."

1711121396212.png

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Okay, this took a long time to make lol. I thought I'd try my hand at a Smash roster since everyone else is. First off, I'd much rather keep all the existing veterans and just add onto it but I thought I'd challenge myself a bit and keep the roster the same size as Ultimate. I know I seem to have weird tastes as far as the Smash community is concerned so I don't really expect many people to agree with what I went with. I tried to be at least semi-realistic and didn't include some of my favorites like Zegram that can't really make any case to be added. I do admit that there is a lot of personal bias in here as well. Basically, I wanted to make a roster I'd be really happy with that at least had some chance of actually happening.

Smash 6 Roster.jpg

If I cut any of your favorites, I apologize. Like I said, I really didn't want to cut anyone but I thought it might be more interesting to see who I'd cut if I had to to make room.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think a metroidvania would absolutely kick ass. I even enjoyed MK Mythologies with Sub Zero, I love taking a FGC and sticking them in a platformer. Imagine beating Metroid as Alucard. Thing is I would probably expect a separate franchise because putting it IN Smash seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Okay, this took a long time to make lol. I thought I'd try my hand at a Smash roster since everyone else is. First off, I'd much rather keep all the existing veterans and just add onto it but I thought I'd challenge myself a bit and keep the roster the same size as Ultimate. I know I seem to have weird tastes as far as the Smash community is concerned so I don't really expect many people to agree with what I went with. I tried to be at least semi-realistic and didn't include some of my favorites like Zegram that can't really make any case to be added. I do admit that there is a lot of personal bias in here as well. Basically, I wanted to make a roster I'd be really happy with that at least had some chance of actually happening.

View attachment 386813

If I cut any of your favorites, I apologize. Like I said, I really didn't want to cut anyone but I thought it might be more interesting to see who I'd cut if I had to to make room.

What are your thoughts?
Not a fan of most of those choices to be honest. I'm not against the idea of EMMI, but I wouldn't go for it when Raven beak is right there. I'm also really not a big fan of having the Ouroboros as the Xenoblade 3 rep, this just feel ike a poor representation of the game tbh. Knuckles is a fairly good pick, but personally I'd much rather have Eggman or Tails. I think adding Lyn is good, but I don't think she's worth cutting Byleth. Also I don't get why you cut Olimar, especially after the huge succes of Pikmin 4, it feels like you could easily remove one of your third party to make room for him.

On the positive side, it's definitely nice to see a roster with more "out there" pick, and I really like Battletoads, Sub-Zero and Lyncaroc being here. Shionne and Alphen could be interesting and I definitely think that Tales of deserve a rep, but they don't do a lot for me since I really dislike their relationship and Tales of Arise overall tbh.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 386813

What are your thoughts?
Rosalina being cut instead of Bowser Jr. seems wrong, though they'd probably keep both. If one had to be cut, it would probably be the one who was stated to be low priority and also doesn't have a totally unique playstyle.

Toon Link being gone seems weird too, but I understand he's not a character who seems like they'd take priority. I've spoken on why Impa is a questionable choice (even though I want her) but the HW design is especially unlikely. That's a decade old game that never got Smash recognition.

I see you kept most echoes, which I like, but why are Dark Pit and Richter specifically cut? Seems odd, especially when Daisy who has less differences than them is kept.

EMMI as a Metroid newcomer doesn't excite me tbh, I'd argue Metroid doesn't need a new character in general. Certainly not over Splatoon or Animal Crossing. Even a Kirby newcomer would take priority over a Metroid one. Ridley felt more like an exception due to the overbearing fan demand.

Inkling looks lonely. Not even an Octoling echo? Also why is Olimar cut, especially after Pikmin 4's success and the series' general Smash history... it just seems wrong. I don't like Olimar in Smash, he's very annoying and forgettable, but let's be objective here.

There's surely a lot of third parties. This is more of a wishlist than a prediction it seems, but damn. That's way too many third parties. And I can't say I'm a fan especially because I can't recognize most of the characters.

Rauru and Dixie Kong are okay. Waluigi is also cool and would finally put the crazy fans to rest. Knuckles is a solid choice if we had to have a Sonic newcomer, though I mostly like him because of P+ lol

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

View attachment 386813

What are your thoughts?
Thanks for not cutting Wolf.

That said, like superprincess superprincess said, I'd still keep Rosalina and Luma, though.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Not a fan of most of those choices to be honest. I'm not against the idea of EMMI, but I wouldn't go for it when Raven beak is right there. I'm also really not a big fan of having the Ouroboros as the Xenoblade 3 rep, this just feel ike a poor representation of the game tbh. Knuckles is a fairly good pick, but personally I'd much rather have Eggman or Tails. I think adding Lyn is good, but I don't think she's worth cutting Byleth. Also I don't get why you cut Olimar, especially after the huge succes of Pikmin 4, it feels like you could easily remove one of your third party to make room for him.

On the positive side, it's definitely nice to see a roster with more "out there" pick, and I really like Battletoads, Sub-Zero and Lyncaroc being here. Shionne and Alphen could be interesting and I definitely think that Tales of deserve a rep, but they don't do a lot for me since I really dislike their relationship and Tales of Arise overall tbh.
I didn’t mean to cut Olimar, I just completely forgot to add him. My bad. I’d cut Lu Bu for Olimar. I’ll have to change that.

This definitely leans more towards the wishlist side but I wanted it to be a bit of a mix between a pure wishlist and something semi realistic.

For my specific choices:

I kept Bowser Jr. over Rosalina because of the Koopa Kids. I actually prefer Rosalina to Jr. himself by a good amount but I’ve always loved the Koopa Kids as characters.

I went with Lynn over Byleth because I’m not a big fan of silent avatar characters. We also don’t really have a samurai style character and a lot of Lynn’s moves remind me of that. She’s also voiced by my favorite voice actress which gives her bonus points.

Octoling realistically should be here if it was a pure prediction list but I’ve never played Splatoon so they don’t mean anything to me. I think they’re actually the most likely character of all newcomers. They were actually on here for a long time until I realized that I didn’t give myself much room for many of my own personal wishlist characters so I ended up trimming a few prediction list characters for wish list characters.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I must be the only person on the planet that prefers the CSS sorted by Smash debut instead of franchise.
The sorting by Smash debut kind of grew with me overtime, especially because a lot of my most played characters are the newcomers so it's nice to have them all in the same spot, but I think that having the echo characters next to the original characters confuses things a lot and it make it feels inconsistent. I also think that the display by series makes way more sense for a casual perspective because with series growing bigger and older, people will know less which character was introduced when.

If anything I do think that Ultimate CSS is better than Smash 4 having the clones on their own spot randomly and having the dlc adding up at the bottom so Corrin isn't next to the FE characters.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Probably late for the cutscenes talk, but anyway. I'm fine with both SSE and World of Light. They have their faults, but still have their cool moments. Sadly, they only feel fun the first time around and it's not really fun when replaying a 2nd time, aside from the bosses.

While I don't mind the lack of extra interactions between characters in the games, I do understand the points from both sides of the argument. Could it change? Who knows?

If I had to consider both sides of the argument in what could be something that could satisfy both, it probably be something like Tatsunoko vs Capcom's endings for Classic Mode.
After the credits and congratulations screen, it plays a very short ending involved around the character you beat Classic Mode with interacting with different characters, enemies, etc. Hardly any talking involved and hardly 20 seconds long and sometimes even less. Heck, they could even reference some fan practices from other games.

Basically,
  1. Nothing spoiler worthy, especially if they are mentioned before release.
  2. Something that can easily inspire people to not spoil themselves since most people will more than likely complete Classic Mode with all characters.
  3. On a more fun and more easily repeatable mode.
The only thing against it is the job of doing one for every character, which there are around 90 of. Even if they were on average 20 seconds for each character, for 90 characters, that would be around 30 minutes altogether. And that's not counting alternate character costumes or genderswaps.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

View attachment 386813

What are your thoughts?
Who's the dude between Hero and Sora

Also the pair between Kazuya and Cloud

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Make a better roster.
Do it then.

In all seriousness, I’ve explained my Magus choice a few times here. First, I’m not big on silent avatar characters. Second, Magus was at least planned to have a major role in all three Chrono games and did in two where Crono only has a major appearance in Trigger. Because of this, I think Magus/Guile is at least a good a rep for the series as a whole as Crono. Third, Magus is one of my personal favorite video game characters ever and is more visually distinct from Hero. This is partially a wish list so the main reason for his inclusion is because he’s one of my favorites but I don’t think he’s without merit otherwise.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
My problem with World of Light is that it does nothing with half of Smash's identity: the platforming aspect of it. Yes, Smash is a fighting game, but what makes it special is that it also has heavy platforming elements that just aren't taken full advantage of. There is that Classic Mode bonus game that gets boring after the 3rd time, but that's it.

SSE's platforming wasn't very well executed (although that's mostly due to Brawl's awful controls) but I think there's a lot of value in the idea. The combination of fighting hoards of enemies while platforming through side-scrolling levels perfectly encapsulates what makes SSB so special. Smash pioneered the "platform fighting game" genre that we see so many companies try to replicate nowadays.

Even without the grand narrative, Melee's admittedly limited platforming levels (I think there was like 3?) were infinitely more fun than most of WOL's randomized battles. Even for 3DS's Smash Run was so popular and beloved because of its platforming elements. Exploring a large area while platforming through it and fighting enemies is just fun in Smash's engine, and that's exactly because it's not a traditional fighting game. And they should really embrace that in the Adventure Mode next time.

Honestly, the most fun and interesting thing WOL had to offer was the rare instances of the interactive map minigames. Stuff like the Zelda forest puzzle, the Gourmet Race, and driving that F-Zero vehicle. So why not combine the good things all these modes had to offer in order to make the best possible Adventure Mode?

Sprinkle in a few (meaningful) cutscenes, text dialogue, in-engine (AKA much cheaper) cutscenes with character interactions and you have a winning formula.
Honestly, I feel as though ever since the Wii U version of Smash 4, Smash has been straying away from the platforming stuff (outside of VS. mode and the like), and I can't help but wonder if Bandai-Namco might have something to do with it. Not saying that they're solely responsible or that they don't want to work on such things (I mean, they DID work on Smash Run), but it feels odd that they've been downplaying this more and more...

You know, the funny thing is that even WOL's lame cutscenes got leaked before release.

Not including movies due to leaks is such a dumb excuse. But I feel like SSB4 and Ultimate wouldn't have had story cutscenes either way, so it doesn't really matter after all.

If it's not just a coverup excuse, I really don't like the idea of punishing players with less content just because retailers were irresponsible and broke street date. Or in Brawl's case, because the game was delayed and released so much earlier launch in Japan that its content was well known by the time it released internationally.

I won't be disappointed if there's no meaningful cutscenes because I've come to expect it, but let's be honest. They won't be absent due to leaks. They'll be absent because Nintendo would rather allocate resources to the newcomer trailers that offer nothing to the game itself, instead just garnering Internet hype.
Thank goodness someone else feels the same way. It's such a bummer to see EVERYONE get 'punished' because of this. Although, there's something that's been on my mind regarding this whole situation. If I'm being honest, I think Sakurai's reason as to why we haven't gotten something like Subspace for all of this time simply boils down to time.

There was something I read a few folks on Twitter discuss in regards to this very issue some time ago, and it feels more like Sakurai is simply covering for Nintendo, as the real issue might just be that Nintendo (currently) isn't willing to provide the time necessary to get something like Subspace to happen for Smash yet again.

That said, maybe Ultimate's success might change their tune...?

Actually I think the semi-abstract cosmic threat angle works pretty well for a Smash story mode; any flaws in SSE are more in execution than concept I feel. For something like Smash, you kind of have to take the perspective that the plot itself doesn't matter too much, it's mostly there to provide a string of excuses for interesting character interactions. Mysterious enemies cropping up around the game universe, forcing unlikely allies to team up against them, works totally fine for that. Like I said, you just have to execute well, limiting the cheesy moments and eventually coalescing the conflict into some final showdown with the big bad.

I don't expect a full-on SSE-style mode, and I understand the troubles of trying to afford it resource-wise and execute it with a bigger roster. So, I've accepted moving on from it but it would be a dream to see a fully polished and even more expansive version of SSE.
Honestly, I've NEVER had a problem with Smash using abstract cosmic entities as threats for its stories. Heck, I would think more people would be fine with this, because it doesn't run the risk of heavily promoting one/some established franchise(s) over others (And let's all be totally real here, you all KNOW that would how that would go down. Like, many folks would be screaming bloody murder over Mario and Kirby having more enemies than Fire Emblem or whatever).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Do you guys think that making Yoshi it's own franchise was a mistake?

Should Yoshi just be counted as a Mario character?

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman

I think it’s possible Yoshi and Wario could get reclassified as part of the Mario series. But at least they have their own series to justify that.

Not Donkey Kong, though. I think he’s good with his own series.

And I don’t agree with people classing Luigi as his own franchise. He’s a bit TOO closely tied to the core Mario brand.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Rosalina being cut instead of Bowser Jr. seems wrong, though they'd probably keep both. If one had to be cut, it would probably be the one who was stated to be low priority and also doesn't have a totally unique playstyle.

Toon Link being gone seems weird too, but I understand he's not a character who seems like they'd take priority. I've spoken on why Impa is a questionable choice (even though I want her) but the HW design is especially unlikely. That's a decade old game that never got Smash recognition.

I see you kept most echoes, which I like, but why are Dark Pit and Richter specifically cut? Seems odd, especially when Daisy who has less differences than them is kept.

EMMI as a Metroid newcomer doesn't excite me tbh, I'd argue Metroid doesn't need a new character in general. Certainly not over Splatoon or Animal Crossing. Even a Kirby newcomer would take priority over a Metroid one. Ridley felt more like an exception due to the overbearing fan demand.

Inkling looks lonely. Not even an Octoling echo? Also why is Olimar cut, especially after Pikmin 4's success and the series' general Smash history... it just seems wrong. I don't like Olimar in Smash, he's very annoying and forgettable, but let's be objective here.

There's surely a lot of third parties. This is more of a wishlist than a prediction it seems, but damn. That's way too many third parties. And I can't say I'm a fan especially because I can't recognize most of the characters.

Rauru and Dixie Kong are okay. Waluigi is also cool and would finally put the crazy fans to rest. Knuckles is a solid choice if we had to have a Sonic newcomer, though I mostly like him because of P+ lol
I kept Daisy over Dark Pit and Richter for a few reasons. First, I think Daisy is a lot more relevant than Dark Pit as a character. I’d argue the same is true for Richter. In Richter’s case, I dropped him because he was a third party and wasn’t as relevant as Ken. I also liked that Daisy gave us another playable female character and I didn’t want to cut that down too much, especially since I cut Rosalina. Another reason for keeping Jr. over Rosalina is he’s been around longer and has appeared in more games where Rosalina was mostly in the Galaxy games, 3D World, and spin-offs.

The main reason I went with EMMI is because I really like the concept of a Smash fighter being able to crawl on walls and ceilings. It just has a creepiness to it that personifies Dread better than Raven Beak in my opinion. It was also more heavily featured in promotional material. Raven Beak would be cool too though so I’d be happy either way.

As I mentioned earlier, the Olimar omission was an error on my part. If I was being completely biased, I’d probably leave him out because I’m not into Pikmin but he deserves to be here and I didn’t mean to cut him.

On third parties, I love Nintendo but pretty much all my realistic wants are covered with this roster so a lot of my other most wanted characters fall into third party. Which characters specifically are you not familiar with? I’d be happy to explain my choices and give a little background on characters people are unfamiliar with.

Finally, I think this roster ended up being about 70% wish list and 30% semi predictions (though some fall into both categories). I was trying to make a roster that I’d be excited for that I could at least justify the inclusion for each character I added or cut. I still want “Everyone is here” again but leaving the roster the same size is probably more realistic.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

No. He has his own sub-series of games like DK and Wario. Enough said.

And I don’t agree with people classing Luigi as his own franchise. He’s a bit TOO closely tied to the core Mario brand.
Luigi should not be classified as a Luigi's Mansion character, but Luigi's Mansion SHOULD be recognized as its own franchise in Smash, with the series symbol of a Boo or something being given to any Luigi's Mansion stages and characters (if E. Gadd or King Boo were to ever make it in). Luigi's Mansion is too big of a name to stay tied to Mario's series and it still bugs me that it's under the Mario umbrella in Smash, even though its gameplay is more distinct than all three of Mario's current sub-series that are classified as their own things in Smash.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Honestly, I feel as though ever since the Wii U version of Smash 4, Smash has been straying away from the platforming stuff (outside of VS. mode and the like), and I can't help but wonder if Bandai-Namco might have something to do with it. Not saying that they're solely responsible or that they don't want to work on such things (I mean, they DID work on Smash Run), but it feels odd that they've been downplaying this more and more...

Thank goodness someone else feels the same way. It's such a bummer to see EVERYONE get 'punished' because of this. Although, there's something that's been on my mind regarding this whole situation. If I'm being honest, I think Sakurai's reason as to why we haven't gotten something like Subspace for all of this time simply boils down to time.

There was something I read a few folks on Twitter discuss in regards to this very issue some time ago, and it feels more like Sakurai is simply covering for Nintendo, as the real issue might just be that Nintendo (currently) isn't willing to provide the time necessary to get something like Subspace to happen for Smash yet again.

That said, maybe Ultimate's success might change their tune...?

Honestly, I've NEVER had a problem with Smash using abstract cosmic entities as threats for its stories. Heck, I would think more people would be fine with this, because it doesn't run the risk of heavily promoting one/some established franchise(s) over others (And let's all be totally real here, you all KNOW that would how that would go down. Like, many folks would be screaming bloody murder over Mario and Kirby having more enemies than Fire Emblem or whatever).
If I'm being perfectly honest, I don't see how that would be a net negative. People already argue over just about anything as is. The Smash original bosses to me at least are serviceable if rather bland. I'd be all on board for using existing villains even if the focus wound up being a little skewed. Gives more opportunities to villains that might otherwise not be considered for a playable role as well. Just give me more bosses and mini bosses in general really.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They might as well reclassify Mario Kart as its own thing at this point, if for nothing else but to give it its own icon in the sound test menu if they really want to separate it from the rest of the Mario series, their already basically halfway there...

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Nah, he’s been that way because clearly they’ve wanted him that way for 25 years.

If people really think it’s a problem, find a second Yoshi character for them to add to the game. :p

Laniv

Smash Champion

Ehhh, I don't really see the point in lumping him in with the Mario cast. He still gets games semi-regularly, and while his series is the most closely tied to Mario, I still say it's distinct enough to warrant being separate.

Luigi should not be classified as a Luigi's Mansion character, but Luigi's Mansion SHOULD be recognized as its own franchise in Smash, with the series symbol of a Boo or something being given to any Luigi's Mansion stages and characters (if E. Gadd or King Boo were to ever make it in). Luigi's Mansion is too big of a name to stay tied to Mario's series and it still bugs me that it's under the Mario umbrella in Smash, even though its gameplay is more distinct than all three of Mario's current sub-series that are classified as their own things in Smash.
I say King Boo should make it in as a fighter regardless of whether or not Luigi's Mansion is stamped as its own series

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I say King Boo should make it in as a fighter regardless of whether or not Luigi's Mansion is stamped as its own series
I agree, I just brought King Boo up for the sake of example.

Nah, he’s been that way because clearly they’ve wanted him that way for 25 years.

If people really think it’s a problem, find a second Yoshi character for them to add to the game. :p
If it were up to me we'd be up to three Yoshi characters.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It doesn’t really matter much to me one way or the other how they classify Yoshi. At the very least, they should allow Super Mario World and Yoshi’s Island music to play on both Yoshi and Mario stages. It’s really annoying how the SMW stage can’t play SMW music.

I think Kamek is just as much a Mario character as he is a Yoshi character. I still consider SMW to be a Mario game and he debuted there. He was also a major part of the Mario movie and Yoshi didn’t appear
until the post credits teaser.

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet

I think the Yoshi situation is mostly 'cause of 64 weirdness, 'cause they wanted everyone in the original 8 to be their own series. Maybe technically that wasn't the best choice, but I don't think there's much of a point in changing it now since it's pretty established with its own unique Smash content. So y'know, it's forgivable.

EDIT: Oh yeah I just remembered. Yoshi's Story came around that time and it seems like he was mostly representing that game in 64. Maybe that's part of why they made the decision.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
It doesn’t really matter much to me one way or the other how they classify Yoshi. At the very least, they should allow Super Mario World and Yoshi’s Island music to play on both Yoshi and Mario stages. It’s really annoying how the SMW stage can’t play SMW music.

I think Kamek is just as much a Mario character as he is a Yoshi character. I still consider SMW to be a Mario game and he debuted there. He was also a major part of the Mario movie and Yoshi didn’t appear
until the post credits teaser.
The generic Magikoopa enemy debuted in Super Mario World. The Magikoopa specifically refereed to as Kamek, clarified to be Yoshi's nemesis, debuted in Yoshi's Island. I know they're literally identical in appearance but it's a "Toad the species vs Toad the character" type situation.

That being said, I do wish the generic Mario species had a tell for when they're the "Main Character" member of their species, like an indicator that says "Yeah, this yoshi is THE yoshi".

Credit to DoweeSig for the art below, which better explains what I mean.

1711144842206.png

1711144731026.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom