• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I have no clue why this final spirit event has been delayed so long. Maybe we should just gaslight ourselves into thinking it will never come at this point.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So what does anyone think the reason is behind this delay of the final spirit event?
We probably going have to wait till April, because it's probably tied to an announcement that hasn't been made yet

It might also be related to the reason Smash 64 isn't on NSO

This is the Last Spirit Event for the game for all time (and we might not even get Spirits in Next Smash). It might be something heavily tied to Smash History

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
We probably going have to wait till April, because it's probably tied to an announcement that hasn't been made yet

It might also be related to the reason Smash 64 isn't on NSO

This is the Last Spirit Event for the game for all time (and we might not even get Spirits in Next Smash). It might be something heavily tied to Smash History
If that's the case I think it would've been better to spread out the events to once a month

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
which one?
I speculated that the reason why the Noah and Mio, Zagreus, and 13 Sentinels spirits don't have their series listed with their spirits is because of some change in ESRB policy, since all of them come from T-rated games and Smash is rated E10+; I'm guessing they're referring to that.

(though I can't see Nintendo removing characters purely because of that; if that was the case, then they'd also have to cut Ness and all of the Xenoblade characters since those games are rated T, among other characters)

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Smash6Roster.V2.png

I did keep the roster size at 49 (plus the 10 DLC fighters) with the Echo Fighters as a bonus 7 characters. I took out Ness, Robin, Mr. Game & Watch, and Ryu from the veterans while bringing back Byleth, R.O.B., Isabelle, Min Min, and Terry. Regarding the newcomers Raven Beak, Meowscarada, Saki, and Bomberman got the axe and got replaced with Cynthia, Mike Jones, and Quote while Issac got moved to the base roster. I added Funky Kong, Shadow, and Curly as Echo Fighters of Donkey Kong, Sonic, and Quote respectively. Only Agumon, Diddy Kong (plus Dixie), Waluigi, and Doomslayer survived the cuts. Eggman got cut since Shadow was ready in the base game. Meta Knight got moved to DLC replacing Ike in the process. Phoenix Wright took Monokuma's spot due to there being no Capcom rep in the base game. 2B got Alear's slot since Fire Emblem already got Marth, Lucina, and Byleth in the base game (not to mention Alear likely would not be relevent once Smash 6 rolls around) and Square Enix deserved a rep. Yuri Lowell almost got in, but swapped out with Sol Badguy to avoid giving Bandai Namco three unique fighters while all the other 3rd parties got one.

I'm ready to hear your critiques!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I speculated that the reason why the Noah and Mio, Zagreus, and 13 Sentinels spirits don't have their series listed with their spirits is because of some change in ESRB policy; I'm guessing they're referring to that.

(though I can't see Nintendo removing characters purely because of that; if that was the case, then they'd also have to cut Ness and all of the Xenoblade characters since those games are rated T, among other characters)
it seems beyond unlikely, considering the fact that Nintendo keep throwing money at it

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
View attachment 386000

I did keep the roster size at 49 (plus the 10 DLC fighters) with the Echo Fighters as a bonus 7 characters. I took out Ness, Robin, Mr. Game & Watch, and Ryu from the veterans while bringing back Byleth, R.O.B., Isabelle, Min Min, and Terry. Regarding the newcomers Raven Beak, Meowscarada, Saki, and Bomberman got the axe and got replaced with Cynthia, Mike Jones, and Quote while Issac got moved to the base roster. I added Funky Kong, Shadow, and Curly as Echo Fighters of Donkey Kong, Sonic, and Quote respectively. Only Agumon, Diddy Kong (plus Dixie), Waluigi, and Doomslayer survived the cuts. Eggman got cut since Shadow was ready in the base game. Meta Knight got moved to DLC replacing Ike in the process. Phoenix Wright took Monokuma's spot due to there being no Capcom rep in the base game. 2B got Alear's slot since Fire Emblem already got Marth, Lucina, and Byleth in the base game (not to mention Alear likely would not be relevent once Smash 6 rolls around) and Square Enix deserved a rep. Yuri Lowell almost got in, but swapped out with Sol Badguy to avoid giving Bandai Namco three unique fighters while all the other 3rd parties got one.

Diddy as dlc is wrong, get rid of him and replace with Shantae also what the hell is the point in getting rid of all the third parties? They made the work to get em in, hell that's less than smash 4s amount.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think Bayonetta is the closest of getting Dante (exception of Mii Costume. Sorry Devil May Cry fans.). Her fighting style is similar to Dante since their game is literally made by the same creator.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If that's the case I think it would've been better to dpreesf out the events to once a month
Probably, though I wonder if there was an expectation that whatever needs to be revealed was supposed to be released earlier.
-----------

Kind of related, but I got a Crack theory about what's going on

So I think what might be happening is that We might be getting some sort of Re-Release of Both Smash 64, and Melee in the Same vain as F-Zero 99

F-Zero 99, despite looking like a SNES Game, was actually made on the Odyssey engine apparently, which is interesting. We know that this New Smash game is using a New engine that's crafted to Generate Assets akin to an Open world.

What I think could happen is Maybe we could see a Test of this New Engine in Online capacity through a Smash 64 99 Variant, and that would be the for the Regular Switch. For Melee, we could see that being exclusive to the Switch 2. A Melee 99

This would especially be useful if the Engine was also Re-Coded to allow Rollback, so we could see how it plays with the Older games

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Probably, though I wonder if there was an expectation that whatever needs to be revealed was supposed to be released earlier.
-----------

Kind of related, but I got a Crack theory about what's going on

So I think what might be happening is that We might be getting some sort of Re-Release of Both Smash 64, and Melee in the Same vain as F-Zero 99

F-Zero 99, despite looking like a SNES Game, was actually made on the Odyssey engine apparently, which is interesting. We know that this New Smash game is using a New engine that's crafted to Generate Assets akin to an Open world.

What I think could happen is Maybe we could see a Test of this New Engine in Online capacity through a Smash 64 99 Variant, and that would be the for the Regular Switch. For Melee, we could see that being exclusive to the Switch 2. A Melee 99

This would especially be useful if the Engine was also Re-Coded to allow Rollback, so we could see how it plays with the Older games
What in the actual **** would a "99" of smash look like lol?

KillerCage

Smash Master
All it took for Lucas and Roy to be "DLC worthy" is being playable in a previous Smash game, and outside the context of Smash both are more obscure than Diddy.
Thank you!
If Roy and Lucas could come back as DLC, then I didn't see a reason why Diddy couldn't be DLC.
Also Mewtwo was also DLC and he was a MUCH bigger character than either Roy or Lucas.
Diddy as dlc is wrong, get rid of him and replace with Shantae also what the hell is the point in getting rid of all the third parties? They made the work to get em in, hell that's less than smash 4s amount.
Are you asking for a Smash Ultimate Deluxe?
If that is the case, then you're ignoring the point of this exercise.
As for your point of "less 3rd parties than in Smash 4," you're flat out wrong.
Smash 4 had three 3rd party characters in the base game (Sonic, Megamanm and Pac-Man) plus 3 more picks (Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta.)
This roster has 5 (technically 7 if you include the Echo Fighters) in the base game plus 5 more as DLC,
I have doubled the number of 3rd party characters from 6 to 12 fighters and Ultimate had 17 characters.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Thank you!
If Roy and Lucas could come back as DLC, then I didn't see a reason why Diddy couldn't be DLC.
Also Mewtwo was also DLC and he was a MUCH bigger character than either Roy or Lucas.
Yeah but WHY even make Diddy dlc, what you think he be so low priority they wouldn't put him in base like with mewtwo in brawl and smash 4?

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

There are multiple theories On how I think this idea could work

-Much, Much Bigger stages. Perhaps there could be large Segments of stage separated from each other so There's more space for Individual clusters of Characters to battle each other

-When getting Launched into the Blastzone, instead of just Spawning from the Top of the Stage, you get Launched (but reset in percent) to a Different Arena of the Stage, or just a Different Stage altogether.

-There will be more expanded Zoom in Techniques to make sure Fighters are visible, but I could also see Split Screen being added. It would take getting used to, but that means you only have to worry about your part of the screen, and that means each individual screen could have more zoom in for clarity instead of having to do the whole area at once

It probably won't be 99 Players on the Screen at once, but It probably would be 99 Players in the rotation, With different Spawn in spots and such.

There's probably more going into it, But I think this could be a hook, or even just a part of the Hook for the Next Smash, and this could be a way to trial that aspect to players without actually revealing a New Smash, especially if this Engine can do Rollback.

Nintendo has been leaning into the Battle Royale medium, especially with the success of Games like Fortnite. They did it with Mario, and Recently with F-Zero 99. I want to think they are going to try and apply this to their Big Multiplayer Franchise in Mario Kart, Smash, and probably Splatoon also

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I see people bringing up the rating thing again so I do want to say that you should probably be looking at the JP side of things for that. Since the establishment of CERO, Smash has always been rated A, their equivalent to E. Other regions seem to jump around without issue, but Nintendo seemingly places greater importance on maintaining the lowest possible rating in their home region.

If Smash were given the okay to be a B (E10/PEGI12,) we likely wouldn't see changes to the other regions. Realistically, I think that's probably as high as Nintendo would ever be comfortable going for Smash. A C (T/PEGI15) is the best option for my personal wants but I don't think that's on the table.

As for the odd name omissions, I honestly don't think we should be that worried. I don't know if it's the same case in other regions mind you (anyone familiar with PAL/PEGI or how JP handles it please chime in.) If it's just an ESRB thing I don't think they're going to outright cut whole series over that.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
All it took for Lucas and Roy to be "DLC worthy" is being playable in a previous Smash game, and outside the context of Smash both are more obscure than Diddy.
This is a bit of a slippery slope because sure, people will pay for someone like Diddy Kong, Ike or Meta Knight as DLC because they are incredibly popular characters. They are "DLC worthy" because they would make money. But I feel like there's a certain cutoff point to whether a character is justified in being sold off like that, where it would be unfair to expect people to buy these characters who have been in three consecutive games for free without some major adjustment. I mean, Samus and Ganondorf would be "DLC worthy" too but it'd be ridiculous to sincerely suggest they do that.

Obviously, Diddy being paired with Dixie Kong is at least something. I don't think that'd be enough to convince me it's a good idea but at least it's breathing some new life into the character. Meta Knight doesn't really warrant that, in my opinion. And they're both high priority characters within their own series, and within the Nintendosphere where I have a difficult time justifying that decision in the first place. For what it's worth, this does boil down to a bit of a divide between me thinking the roster will be a fair amount bigger than 49 characters. But even in that instance I think Diddy and MK are flat out unreasonable cuts.

Mewtwo and Roy skipped a game so their return was an event and Lucas... I dunno. Lucas was a weird character to pull this for but he wasn't as much of a "given" so I suppose people were less surprised to see him go and more willing to purchase him as an extra. I think it's inevitable that next game needs to sell some veterans back but I think the approach mapped out on Cage's roster would just make a lot of people angry, assuming next game doesn't totally reinvent the wheel and this is still the same old Smash Bros. Everyone will wonder how we immediately went from Smash Ultimate to paying for Diddy Kong like that.

Also I love Terry, but there is no universe where Capcom gets cut full stop and then the only character they add is Phoenix Wright. They're consistently one of the most active contributors to Smash and Ace Attorney is begrudgingly just not a viable replacement for Street Fighter and Mega Man. And Capcom is frequently a strong third party support for Nintendo consoles, Monster Hunter Rise was a timed exclusive etc. The reasons for cutting them loose feel entirely arbitrary. I would just say round it up to 50 characters and add someone from Capcom...

...but you removed Ness? Come on man. I know I said the roster should account for some of the newer faces added in Ultimate last time but taking the reverse action and removing one of Smash's most fundamental and popular characters just because his series isn't getting new games (when, for the record, it's still receiving heavy promotion on NSO... that's about the extent of what's even possible to keep Mother relevant)... when that series has a multitude of stages, items, music and such a rich history within the series... it's really just not going to happen. It's unjustified and frankly if you're going to be reselling obvious veterans as DLC I can assue you that Ness is going to be the one everyone would want back immediately, before practically anyone else.

I understand the tightrope walk of keeping things fresh and pleasing old fans is difficult, but it's important to be taking Smash's core identity into account just as well. I'm glad Pit and Captain Falcon survived I guess. That should just absolutely extend to Ness too, he's just as deeply engrained in Smash's DNA.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I see people bringing up the rating thing again so I do want to say that you should probably be looking at the JP side of things for that. Since the establishment of CERO, Smash has always been rated A, their equivalent to E. Other regions seem to jump around without issue, but Nintendo seemingly places greater importance on maintaining the lowest possible rating in their home region.

If Smash were given the okay to be a B (E10/PEGI12,) we likely wouldn't see changes to the other regions. Realistically, I think that's probably as high as Nintendo would ever be comfortable going for Smash. A C (T/PEGI15) is the best option for my personal wants but I don't think that's on the table.

As for the odd name omissions, I honestly don't think we should be that worried. I don't know if it's the same case in other regions mind you (anyone familiar with PAL/PEGI or how JP handles it please chime in.) If it's just an ESRB thing I don't think they're going to outright cut whole series over that.
PAL version doesn't have the names either.
But yeah I don't think it's going to be something that makes or breaks keeping a character in or adding a new one.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
As someone who lives in Europe, yes. I can confirm the names are missing here too.

I cannot confirm if the same is true for Japan. If anyone knows, please chime in.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Maybe it's some sort of ESRB issue? I know that Fortnite had some sort of age restriction update that made it so you can't use certain skins in certain modes; maybe Smash has run into a similar issue where they can't advertise games that have a higher ESRB rating within an E10 rated game, and even mentioning the game's name is somehow considered to be advertising it. (I know that they removed the series logos from the Fighters Pass list around the time that Byleth was announced, and it led to silly Mii costume announcements like Smash Bros. x TRAVIS)

Xenoblade 3, Hades, and 13 Sentinels are rated T (and their spirits don't list their game of origin), whereas Tears of the Kingdom, Pikmin 4, Splatoon 3, and Pokemon Scarlet are rated E10 or under. (and their spirits do list their game of origin)

It's nonsensical if it's true, since it would mean that Nintendo couldn't mention the names of their own series like Xenoblade, Earthbound, or Fire Emblem, but I'm assuming that it wasn't a mistake. (since it would mean that it somehow got overlooked after multiple updates in the case of the Noah and Mio spirit)

Hopefully, whatever the problem is, it gets undone or sorted out by the time of the next Smash game.
I guess it's possible but I imagine if that were the case they'd have to remove the series titles from spirits that were already there too and that didn't happen, so I have no idea. Either way it's stupid, inconsistent, and it bothers my OCD

KillerCage

Smash Master
This is a bit of a slippery slope because sure, people will pay for someone like Diddy Kong, Ike or Meta Knight as DLC because they are incredibly popular characters. They are "DLC worthy" because they would make money. But I feel like there's a certain cutoff point where a character is justified in being sold off like that, where it would be unfair to expect people to buy these characters who have been in three consecutive games for free without some major adjustment. I mean, Samus and Ganondorf would be "DLC worthy" too but it'd be ridiculous to sincerely suggest they do that.

Obviously, Diddy being paired with Dixie Kong is at least something. I don't think that'd be enough to convince me it's a good idea but at least it's breathing some new life into the character. Meta Knight doesn't really warrant that, in my opinion. And they're both high priority characters within their own series, and within the Nintendosphere where I have a difficult time justifying that decision in the first place. For what it's worth, this does boil down to a bit of a divide between me thinking the roster will be a fair amount bigger than 49 characters. But even in that instance I think Diddy and MK are flat out unreasonable cuts.

Also I love Terry, but there is no universe where Capcom gets cut full stop and then the only character they add is Phoenix Wright. They're consistently one of the most active contributors to Smash and Ace Attorney is begrudgingly just not a viable replacement for Street Fighter and Mega Man. And Capcom is frequently a strong third party support for Nintendo consoles, Monster Hunter Rise was a timed exclusive etc. The reasons for cutting them loose feel entirely arbitrary. I would just say round it up to 50 characters and add someone from Capcom...

...but you removed Ness? Come on man. I know I said the roster should account for some of the newer faces added in Ultimate last time but taking the reverse action and removing one of Smash's most fundamental and popular characters just because his series isn't getting new games (when, for the record, it's still receiving heavy promotion on NSO... that's about the extent of what's even possible to keep Mother relevant)... when that series has a multitude of stages, items, music and such a rich history within the series... it's really just not going to happen. It's unjustified and frankly if you're going to be reselling obvious veterans as DLC I can assue you that Ness is going to be the one everyone would want back immediately, before practically anyone else.

I understand the tightrope walk of keeping things fresh and pleasing old fans is difficult, but it's important to be taking Smash's core identity into account just as well. I'm glad Pit and Captain Falcon survived I guess. That should just absolutely extend to Ness too, he's just as deeply engrained in Smash's DNA.
I'm trying to keep the returning 3rd party characters to three slots. If I kept Sonic and Terry, then I have to cut Pac-Man and that does not seem realistic. I could boost it to 4 slots to sneak in Megaman. I then could swap out Phoenix with Layton. As for Ness... you got me there. I could cut Min min to bring back Ness though I have a question. Which would be a better fit for DLC: Ness or Meta Knight?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm trying to keep the returning 3rd party characters to three slots. If I kept Sonic and Terry, then I have to cut Pac-Man and that does not seem realistic. I could boost it to 4 slots to sneak in Megaman. I then could swap out Phoenix with Layton. As for Ness... you got me there. I could cut Min min to bring back Ness though I have a question. Which would be a better fit for DLC: Ness or Meta Knight?
Truth be told, I would just make your roster bigger and have them both in base. I understand if you're trying to work under stricter limitations but I find it pretty unrealistic that the roster will take this heavy of a blow. Unless you're presenting a new gameplay approach, or a focus on some sort of dedicated narrative or something? There would need to be a MAJOR hook involved to justify cutting over half the existing characters. If the next game will play like Ultimate, and have largely similar gameplay modes to Ultimate, then I think 49 characters with newcomers included is going to be a difficult sell and not especially justified if the general framework is carried over again like it typically is.

I'd like to see what a 60-something character roster might look like from you. Because I think this limitation you've placed is forcing very odd decisions that don't make a lot of sense. Although to answer your question, I suppose Ness should be higher priority since Kirby would be getting three characters already. Bandana Dee over Meta Knight doesn't sit too well with me but it's a little better than Mother being cut entirely.

Also yes, cutting Pac-Man isn't realistic. Although cutting Capcom isn't either, so given how many third party characters we have by now we could sustain at LEAST four slots for guest characters. I'd expect more than that under normal conditions but with a roster this size that doesn't even have enough space for Diddy Kong I'm not sure.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Yeah but WHY even make Diddy dlc, what you think he be so low priority they wouldn't put him in base like with mewtwo in brawl and smash 4?
Because of space.
I had reserve spots for Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and the Miis.
Metroid got lucky with a rep as it got a new game and remaster since Ultimate's release.
The most recent new Donkey Kong content that isn't directed tied to Mario was the Tropical Freeze Switch port which added Funky mode.
Diddy is important but I didn't have enough room in the base roster so putting him in the DLC was a compromise.

Truth be told, I would just make your roster bigger and have them both in base. I understand if you're trying to work under stricter limitations but I find it pretty unrealistic that the roster will take this heavy of a blow. Unless you're presenting a new gameplay approach, or a focus on some sort of dedicated narrative or something? There would need to be a MAJOR hook involved to justify cutting over half the existing characters. If the next game will play like Ultimate, and have largely similar gameplay modes to Ultimate, then I think 49 characters with newcomers included is going to be a difficult sell and not especially justified if the general framework is carried over again like it typically is.

I'd like to see what a 60-something character roster might look like from you. Because I think this limitation you've placed is forcing very odd decisions that don't make a lot of sense. Although to answer your question, I suppose Ness should be higher priority since Kirby would be getting three characters already. Bandana Dee over Meta Knight doesn't sit too well with me but it's a little better than Mother being cut entirely.

Also yes, cutting Pac-Man isn't realistic. Although cutting Capcom isn't either, so given how many third party characters we have by now we could sustain at LEAST four slots for guest characters. I'd expect more than that under normal conditions but with a roster this size that doesn't even have enough space for Diddy Kong I'm not sure.
I did try a base roster of 48 characters with 30 1st party veteran, but the cuts were too hard to justify. Funnily enough, 49 is the same roster size of Smash 4's base roster (not counting Lucina and Dark Pit as retroactively became Echo Fighters.) I will considering the base roster to 55. 60 feels a little too close to Ultimate's base roster to my liking.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Any series you think could work well enough having their own smash bros but it's only that one series?

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I come back here after years, and people are still arguing about cuts...

Smash Bros., at its heart, is a fighter about platforming, so any one series that gets its own Smash Bros., should also be heavily associated with platforming. Like Mario or Kirby. And with how similar Smash 64 mechanics were to Kirby Super Star, I could see a world where Smash itself could've been a Kirby spin-off.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Any series you think could work well enough having their own smash bros but it's only that one series?
TMNT already had their own Smash Bros. style game. It was a little underwhelming to be honest but I think there’s a ton of potential for a more fleshed out game. The series has so many great characters with really unique designs that you could easily fill a roster of 50+ characters with their own gameplay styles and aesthetics. I’d love it if they pulled from the whole history of the franchise including the iconic Playmates toy designs from the late 80’s and early 90’s.

1709747236219.jpeg

Not sure if you were limiting it to just video game properties but I’ll take any chance to talk about the TMNT as I can get.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I come back here after years, and people are still arguing about cuts...

Smash Bros., at its heart, is a fighter about platforming, so any one series that gets its own Smash Bros., should also be heavily associated with platforming. Like Mario or Kirby. And with how similar Smash 64 mechanics were to Kirby Super Star, I could see a world where Smash itself could've been a Kirby spin-off.
No.
Even in the original game only 5 of the characters six of you really want to include Samus come from platformer backgrounds

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So what does anyone think the reason is behind this delay of the final spirit event?
Toldja. Waiting for Smash 6 on Super Switch to be announced.

Smash Run battle royale.

99 players drop into the Smash Run map. Run around killing mooks and gathering upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 players alive have a regular Smash match.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
No.
Even in the original game only 5 of the characters six of you really want to include Samus come from platformer backgrounds
What do you mean no? Smash Bros. is a fighting game that infuses platforming, not saying every franchise in Smash has to be a platformer, but if any one series on its own uses the gameplay of Smash, wouldn't it make sense if it was a series that involved platforming? Otherwise why not make it a different type of fighter? Like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear, which arguably makes more sense for series' like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.

Top Bottom