• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Louie G.

Smash Hero
They atleast call him "captain America"
I don’t think this rumor was true, but even if it was that was said to be an endearing nickname.

Metroid isn’t as popular in Japan as it is here, that much is definitely true, but I don’t think there’s any reservations or confusion about Ridley since he’s been so physically prominent in Smash Bros all these years anyway.

I don’t know if there are any characters especially maligned in Japan - I remember a lot of skeptical comments when Little Mac was revealed, but I can’t imagine that negativity has held for a full decade.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
They atleast call him "captain America"
Japan doesn't hate Ridley, the JP community would simply occasionally meme on how requested he was in the west, especially by the US Smash community. Some folks in the JP com were annoyed by seeing Ridley so much (that's just normal for over exposure in some cases,) most just thought it was interesting/funny that he was so popular in the western space.

I do like to include ocs i mean Videospiel-Man for one (he has like the ideal moveset TBH)
Is it really necessary to mention your OC every other post? It's already in your signature.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
For my favourite Villains its these BTW:

Mario:
Fawful
King boo would be a neat choice (although im not hyped for him)

Zelda:
Skullkid/ Majora
Vaati although i doubt we ever see a capcom zelda character playable in smash!
2d Octorok I love these guys and they are much needed 2d Zelda rep!

Kirby:
My Personal choice would be dark matter but not as a swordsman or better not JUST!
He would transform but mostly be in his orb form

Magolor is the realistic (and a decent piock too) granted he is redeemed (atleast probably) but his by far most iconic appearence is as a villain
although he would fight in his "good guy" Form

Controversial pick but Whispy or Kracko would be cool and deserve some more attenention (okay atleast kracko) being the other main kirby bosses and comparable to bowser jr. in terms of "franchise importance"

And i would say either morpho or galacta Knight considering that galacta is dead in the present i would say morpho is a better choice!

Pokemon:
Giovanni just giovanni

Earthbound:
Either Gyiyg as a mewtwo echo or Porky both very deserving and diffrent from the two psychic boys!

Sonic:
Eggman

Undertale/deltarune:
I would love to see these Villains (im going to count every genocidal person as a villain)

Flowey Hes My Favourite UT/ DR Character he really deliously hams it up His "Final form" Wont be playble for spoiler reasons
Asriel seems to love acting evily i mean his oc is called god of hyperdeath and even post redemption hes still acting evily

And Half (or third or two thirds) of the MAin character the Human is a villain!
The Human is comprised of these parts:
Frisk (the Body and original owner and part), The Player and Chara other than Frisk every part can either be dfined as evil or villanous

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, if it's like Legends Arceus, it'll have new evolutions and regional forms for old Pokemon. No actual new Pokemon.
Legends Arceus added seven new Pokémon in total, six of which are evos of old Pokémon and one is a new member for an old Legendary group. I think that ZA could possibly introduce new Pokémon and new Mega Evolutions as well.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This may some tone-deaf but i don't get it. What is the appeal of Pokemon?

I've played S&M and it was alright but from what i've seen. The Switch Pokemon games are awful yet sell gangbusters. Games more broken than 06 yet breaking sales-records. People calling announcements a "social events/phenomenon". Weird.
In general there's plenty to be found appealing I suppose but my wife was just popping off because of hype though I had to ask her today who she was singing about, she was singing a made up song about Zygarde lol.

I'll admit I'm not as big a fan as some others, but I can't say I don't like Pokemon at all. I have managed to get through the first few seasons of the show (gotta do it in shifts or it's sloggy) and enjoy it (in moderation obv) and I really loved the actual card game, I had a killer water boosted deck, and ofc Smash led me to learn a lot of stuff and being exposed to franchises through Smash is generally a positive experience for me.

The only other thing I can think to mention is the appeal is aimed at children and it's very good at the kid-friendly family oriented formula, so it's really no surprise Pokemon is so huge, they really just nailed it 3 decades ago and never let go cause...

You gotta catch em all!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I don’t think this rumor was true, but even if it was that was said to be an endearing nickname.

Metroid isn’t as popular in Japan as it is here, that much is definitely true, but I don’t think there’s any reservations or confusion about Ridley since he’s been so physically prominent in Smash Bros all these years anyway.

I don’t know if there are any characters especially maligned in Japan - I remember a lot of skeptical comments when Little Mac was revealed, but I can’t imagine that negativity has held for a full decade.
I also want to add, not refuting any of what you say but moreso jumping off of it, that "less popular in Japan" doesn't always mean "completely unknown in Japan". Metroid isn't as popular over there certainly, but at the end of the day it's still a long-running series from the most celebrated domestic developer that had internally-made games on two of the biggest mammoth success consoles in the country - by default, it's going to have a decent amount of exposure. In fact, I believe the original game did manage to sell a million copies - it doesn't have the same devoted fanbase that it has over here, but I would wager there's still a lot of people who at least know of it, especially if they're actively following speculation for a Nintendo crossover. With that in mind, I don't think reaction to a character like Ridley would be one of shock or confusion so much as it'd probably just be more muted.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My Personal choice would be dark matter but not as a swordsman or better not JUST!
He would transform but mostly be in his orb form
This Rivals mod moveset is a pretty good compromise that doesn't shy away from rooting the swordsman in some general Dark Matter-isms too. I like it a lot, although he's never quite been anywhere near my top choice for Kirby. I'm just not that pressed for Kirby to have a "real" main villain or anything, many of his came-and-went friends and foes are more compelling characters and Dark Matter is more of an idea than a character usually.

Honestly, I think I'd rather just add Gooey if this was the direction we were gonna go with it.

And i would say either morpho or galacta Knight considering that galacta is dead in the present i would say morpho is a better choice!
I still think Galacta Knight is a better choice. I really like Morpho Knight but I dunno, I think Galacta Knight is more firmly rooted in the series and works as a better foil and rival for Meta Knight specifically. I don't think there's any particular drive to add him right now, unless he ends up being sort of a late stage addition using assets from MK like Wolf and Fox, but still. We don't even really know what Morpho's deal is yet.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
The recent Pokemon games do have issues. There's no denying that. But often we do tend to overblow things out of proportion. After all, just because a game has issues, whether bugs or the gameplay elements, doesn't mean it's not or can't be fun and that's really all that matters, on whether you are having fun, not whether other people are or aren't. If somebody else is having fun, regardless on if they are having fun with the game or having fun with the bugs and issues, good on them.
There's no need for fans and haters to suddenly get up in arms about somebody having fun with a game with issues, like what happened with a Palworld player after they decided to try out Pokemon S/V after playing Palworld and found themselves having fun with it.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 385631

Thoughts on this roster for Smash 6?
The base roster would have 49 characters (not counting Echo Fighters).
32 1st party veterans plus three 3rd party veterans will be joined by 12 1st party newcomers and 2 3rd party newcomers.
The DLC would consist of 2 1st party veterans (though Diddy Kong would paired with Dixie Kong as a tag team character like they were originally planned in Brawl), 3 1st party newcomers, and 5 3rd party newcomers.
I don't have much to say about the veterans, there's pretty much no way you can do everyone justice with such a small amount.

The newcomers are painfully predictable and safe, which is a shortcoming that a lot of fan rosters have. Even mine had that issue, I admit.

The DLC is also kind of questionable. Diddy and Ike are just... no. Those are base game characters. This would be the equivalent of Daisy being DLC in Mario Strikers, except you'd have to pay for Diddy and Ike.

There's also pretty much no way Alear is gonna be DLC. They presumably missed the boat for base game already, so their chances of being DLC are even lower. Seems like a quota pick.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
View attachment 385631

32 1st party veterans plus three 3rd party veterans will be joined by 12 1st party newcomers and 2 3rd party newcomers.
The DLC would consist of 2 1st party veterans (though Diddy Kong would paired with Dixie Kong as a tag team character like they were originally planned in Brawl), 3 1st party newcomers, and 5 3rd party newcomers.
No offence but this might be the blandest roster i've seen yet.

The Typical Safe Nintendo Reps who are all most likely

Falco, Plant, Isabelle, RoB, Wolf, Cloud, Hero, Sephiroth etc all cut for Paper Mario, Ring Fit, Meowscarda and Xenoblade Protagonists? Diddy, Ike, and Alear Paid for? Absolute PASS and the not the fighting kind either.

Only interesting picks are Shantae, Agumon, Raven Beak, Bomberman and probably Dee and Waluigi. Rest are all just really uninteresting or indifference.

A good question here is would you pay $70 for this roster?

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
everyone seems to be forgetting that diddy and dixie are a tag team fighter in Killercage's roster, I wouldn't mind Diddy as DLC because it's not just him, it's him AND Dixie as a 2-in-1 package which makes it fine for me

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
everyone seems to be forgetting that diddy and dixie are a tag team fighter in Killercage's roster, I wouldn't mind Diddy as DLC because it's not just him, it's him AND Dixie as a 2-in-1 package which makes it fine for me
I don't think Dixie really comes into the equation for most people, it's the fact that Diddy is DLC to begin with. Dixie or no Dixie, I think most would expect Diddy to be a base roster character. Swap Diddy/Dixie to base and move one of the newcomers (like Raven Beak or Impa) to DLC and I think you'd wind up pleasing a lot more people.

7NATOR

Smash Master
View attachment 385631

I just want to say Respect for putting your thoughts out there, Making a Smash 6 Roster with Cuts I don't think has ever garnared a postive response since I would say it's impossible to not cut out Important Popular characters

With that being said, This roster is not exciting though, at least for me, and I would actually doubt buying the next Smash if this was the roster. There's not enough Base game Newcomers. Takamaru and Saki are kind of questionable in a Roster like this. Paper Mario even more so in my honest opinion.

The 3rd party selection is like if you were making the roster under the Assumption that Nintendo was Broke or something. That's not to say that characters like Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy, Agumon, Monokuma, Shantae, Eggman and Bomberman are bad in a vaccum, but you do really need to go further, especially in DLC. There's no way that Nintendo will stop with expanding it's horizons with it's connections after it just got Steve and Sora in Ultimate among others

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Dixie and Diddy vs solo Diddy and No Dixie

I choose Solo Diddy tbh

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I know with third parties there's negotiations on how character inspired stuff can look, but I'd love for Mii Costumes in the future to have stuff like color variations when possible. Getting all the numerous colored Bomberman options really fit the character and it'd be great to see that for other ones.

Call it cheesy but getting a classic Scorpion costume... that you can then change to look like classic Sub-Zero, Rain, Ermac, Reptile, & Smoke? That would just be cool.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Anyways, thoughts on my list of potential newcomers (and two reworks) in the next game?
View attachment 385662
No Doom Slayer...

I feel like he's a lock.

Since we're doing newcomer selections, I'll post my own:

A mix of realism and out-there ideas just to spice things up. Tried to keep it one per company (outside of Nintendo of course) for the most part, but made exceptions with Square Enix and Microsoft due to how requested those particular characters are.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Anyways, thoughts on my list of potential newcomers (and two reworks) in the next game?
Are these moreso the characters you want to see, or the characters you think might happen? Or a bit of both? It's hard to share many thoughts without knowing where your head is at, but I can chime in on a couple things that stand out.

Big ups for Arle, Chun-Li and Jill. Those are all characters I really want to see next time and also think have a pretty solid chance at it. With Arle and Jill in particular, I think it's valuable to expand the reach of Smash's roster and tap into new genres worth of content to fulfill brand new gameplay opportunities. I can see Jill playing into a mechanic we've already tackled a bit, being resource management, but I think it can be vastly improved upon. And I just really love Puyo and think it's pretty nuts that it has no semblance of representation in Smash yet, not even a costume or spirits.

Porky and King Hippo are among my Most Wanted characters that I don't think have a very strong chance. Mother and Punch-Out are two of my favorite Nintendo series and I'd love to get some more rival characters in here, but it doesn't feel like there's a particularly strong incentive right now. I wish the support for Porky was more vocal right now, I think we could make it happen if we pushed for it hard enough.

I see KK and Pauline on here, I like KK Slider but I could do without Pauline. Would be a little burnt if they decided to opt for her as a music oriented character over someone from Rhythm Heaven or Splatoon. If you're interested in the potential of characters centered around music or performing music, I'd suggest looking deeper into those options. I just consider them much more enticing, and Pauline really only has the one big scene in Odyssey going for her. As for KK, I'd gladly welcome him but I do think Tom Nook's chances are way higher and I'm quite satisfied with his little Saturday night easter egg.

Cool to see someone giving some credibility to SNK characters, although I'd throw Metal Slug in the ring for something a little more fresh and independently quite popular and influential to boot. I'm not sure if they would out-prioritize Iori, who according to Sakurai is like the coolest guy ever, but I don't see Nakoruru / Samurai Shodown being much of a priority. I'd love to see the way they handle the expressive designs from the Metal Slug games into Smash especially.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Gotta ask, but why?

Just curious, as I've got the point of view that no one is a "lock," last time I think we had a lock was Inkling (and kinda Dark Samus, but she had her own reasons)
One of the most requested characters. I feel like they added his Mii Costume because they saw that and while it was too late to add him as a DLC character, making him the final big Mii Costume (and a great-looking one too) was the next best thing. Sakurai even addressed his Mii Costume too.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Gotta ask, but why?

Just curious, as I've got the point of view that no one is a "lock," last time I think we had a lock was Inkling (and kinda Dark Samus, but she had her own reasons)
I agree. I don't think there is such thing as a lock. I mean, the roster is already per-decided before the actual Smash Bros. game is made, anyway. We just don't know the full roster ourselves before the game releases.

But yeah, I don't think locks should be a thing. Treating characters as locks can sometimes lead to disappointment if they are not in.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
One of the most requested characters. I feel like they added his Mii Costume because they saw that and while it was too late to add him as a DLC character, making him the final big Mii Costume (and a great-looking one too) was the next best thing. Sakurai even addressed his Mii Costume too.
A fair point, as far as Third Party characters go, Doom is IP that I think has a decent shot. I'm not gonna argue his legacy, and the Mii Costume is nice

But 100% chance? I feel it's setting yourself up for disappointment. I mean lots of characters got a Mii Costume. From Bethesda alone we got Skyrim and Fallout before Doom. And being third party means you have other hurdles to deal with.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A fair point, as far as Third Party characters go, Doom is IP that I think has a decent shot. I'm not gonna argue his legacy, and the Mii Costume is nice

But 100% chance? I feel it's setting yourself up for disappointment. I mean lots of characters got a Mii Costume. From Bethesda alone we got Skyrim and Fallout before Doom. And being third party means you have other hurdles to deal with.
I said something like that in my last post. I mean, we are uncertain on who gets into Smash as playable characters. Why treat such characters as locks if we don't know if they are in or not?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I won't contest Doom Slayer's odds too hard, but I don't think anyone with as many hurdles as him can ever be a lock. He's from a tremendously violent video game, he's from a western studio and he has steep competition from Master Chief (refuse to get into this one again - but it's at least a factor). I don't think any of these specific factors bar him entry, but they're elements that need to be weighed out accordingly and may provide any number of concerns, language / regional barriers and conflicts of interest. Just too much going on there to be that blindly confident IMO.

His acknowledgement as a Mii Costume is nice, but there's hardly any reason to believe they just up and forgot about him or neglected him until it was too late. If you've watched one of Sakurai's recent videos, he details how much discussion there was between parties to make it look faithful. So the process was not an overnight job to subdue the masses, at least no less than Dante, Dovahkiin or Shantae were. If we want to weigh Mii Costumes with that amount of significance then we have to extend that out toward pretty much all of the crossovers added in FP2. I guess it's a little odd he was the only third party costume saved for the final showcase but I don't think I'd put too much weight on that.

I do think there's a "lock" character going into next game though - Octoling. We just don't know in what form they'll be playable, it could be as simple as being an Alph-esque alternate costume option for the Inklings but they will without a doubt be playable. Or else Splatoon is being seriously mishandled.

Genuinely asking, when was the last time a "lock" actually got in?
Inkling and, at least in my opinion at the time, Isabelle. Nobody was really a surefire thing for DLC and expectations were tainted by discussion of leaks.

And for whatever it's worth, it was obvious they were going to go with Min Min from the moment they posed that mystery ARMS reveal.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Dark Samus and Inkling.

An argument could be made "Erdrick" and Banjo. But they may be more "They're popular so they're a lock"
Dark Samus wasn't even brought up until the E3 trailer, when the concept of Echo Fighters was introduced, her AT was completely absent, and Samus's 8th alt (which in Smash 4 was designed after Dark Samus) was completely removed and replaced with a new alt. The only characters that were considered locks for Ultimate that actually got in were Inkling and Isabelle.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Genuinely asking, when was the last time a "lock" actually got in?
Probably Inklings, as many saw them as a lock for Smash Ultimate.

To some extent, a Fire Emblem Awakening rep was considered a lock. Many thought Chrom, but some were hoping for Lucina or Robin. And when Byleth and Min-Min got in, people certainly looked at Xenoblade 2 getting a rep, whether it was Rex, Pyra and/or Mythra. It's a more 'wider gap' lock, but people did correctly predict those 2 games getting reps.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I agree. I don't think there is such thing as a lock. I mean, the roster is already per-decided before the actual Smash Bros. game is made, anyway. We just don't know the full roster ourselves before the game releases.

But yeah, I don't think locks should be a thing. Treating characters as locks can sometimes lead to disappointment if they are not in.
I don't feel like anything's a guarantee, it's just fun to say things are lock, lol. What I really mean is I feel Doom Slayer is incredibly likely.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't feel like anything's a guarantee, it's just fun to say things are lock, lol. What I really mean is I feel Doom Slayer is incredibly likely.
I don't think so due to the extreme violence in his games, massive competition with other characters, and lack of appeal to Japanese gamers.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, he may be likely, but I am not sure how likely. It is surely not a lock, but there are some hurdles, being western and thus the language barrier thing. I have seen some characters from violent games though in Smash. I am not sure how Doom Slayer compares to them in terms of violence, but it can't be that bad, right?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
How the ** are you still on this ** when everyone has already told you that you are wrong?
There's still a lot of competition for more Microsoft reps, especially with Activision Blizzard now under their umbrella. And even among Bethesda reps, there's also the Dragonborn from Skyrim as well, as Skyrim is a far more popular game among Japanese players and also has massive significance to Nintendo, with it being the very first third party title announced to be on the Switch. And also in that Switch port, it has a Nintendo-related bonus as the Dragonborn can wear Link's default outfit from Breath of the Wild.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Dark Samus wasn't even brought up until the E3 trailer, when the concept of Echo Fighters was introduced, her AT was completely absent, and Samus's 8th alt (which in Smash 4 was designed after Dark Samus) was completely removed and replaced with a new alt. The only characters that were considered locks for Ultimate that actually got in were Inkling and Isabelle.
That's what I'm talking about. That period of time between E3 and the Smash Direct, Dark Samus was considered the single most expected and predicted newcomer for the game.

Which is honestly weird to say

Also I don't think Isabelle was considered a lock. At least not widespread, people were generally dismissive of Animal Crossing getting additional characters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That's what I'm talking about. That period of time between E3 and the Smash Direct, Dark Samus was considered the single most expected and predicted newcomer for the game.

Which is honestly weird to say

Also I don't think Isabelle was considered a lock. At least not widespread, people were generally dismissive of Animal Crossing getting additional characters.
Isabelle was decently expected due to her massive popularity, but most people believed that she would be nothing more than an Echo Fighter for Villager. She turned out to actually be a semiclone.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Seriously, Dark Samus still wows me that she's playable, even if she's an echo.

What did she really have going for? She was the baddie of two Metroid games, technically 3 if you count Metroid Prime 1. She's almost like the Vaati of the Metroid series, and you don't want to be the Vaati of anything.

The Metroid series was in a pretty bad state when Sakurai was choosing the roster for Ultimate, it's a miracle we got Ridley. And while Dark Samus did have fair bit of popularity, Ridley was heads and shoulders above her, to the point that some of Dark Samus's popularity was born from being seen as an alternative since Ridley was too big. Not all of it, obviously, but certainly some of it.

So when Ridley got in, that should've been the end of it. Except people started to notice a few things. Firstly and most importantly, Samus had lost her Dark Samus alt for no reason. I think that alone was enough to convince people she was coming. To reaffirm this though, she survived the assist trophy slaughter at E3, and Ridley had an unusual victory theme, a twisted dark version of Samus's victory theme rather than something using his own iconic theme. Dark Samus went from consolation prize to most expected character in the game.

Dark Samus. A character who was killed off a decade prior. She's honestly a beacon of hope for some of who are fans of characters who are generally viewed as lesser.

Top Bottom