• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

dream1ng

Smash Lord
It's funny how the fanbase has collectively decided to ignore how Sakurai said Nintendo picked the DLC when it comes to Terry.

And yet no one will use it as proof of Sakurai lying, because it's not confirmed.

Schrodinger's Sakurai bias.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
It's funny how the fanbase has collectively decided to ignore how Sakurai said Nintendo picked the DLC when it comes to Terry.

And yet no one will use it as proof of Sakurai lying, because it's not confirmed.

Schrodinger's Sakurai bias.
oh. oh yeah that.

****. ****. my le epic post. Gone.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
every time people start listing off their top smash picks for a certain criteria, i feel the urge to stop what i'm doing and make an image since i like visualizing stuff more that way (and possibly ocd)

anyways here are my top 10 first-party wants

1706132615057.png

I don't really need any of these characters but I'd be happy if one of them made it, especially if they're from the top three. Trust me, the only thing I actually need for the next game is Olimar getting a rework, or him getting his personality at the very least lol. I would not want another Pikmin character before they fix Olimar.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
oh. oh yeah that.

*. *. my le epic post. Gone.
I mean I don't necessarily buy that Sakurai didn't have input in any of the DLC selections. I think Nintendo might've been the principle arbiter, but I suspect Sakurai might've downplayed his role to get twitter to leave him alone.

Of course this doesn't necessarily mean he actually was the one who chose Terry, but just... I believe there's reasonable doubt towards DLC being 100% Nintendo. I think Sakurai probably did get to make suggestions for at least a couple of the spots.

Having said that, I notice that whenever there's no self-evident reason for that specific character to have been selected (i.e. demand, promotion, etc.) people tend to ascribe it to "Sakurai likes x", and I don't think it's that simple either.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an Ace Attorney spirit for the 3rd or 4th spirit event of this year. Esp with the Apollo trilogy coming out this Friday and all that 0_o

ALSO IM 10 SPIRITS AWAY FROM GETTING EVERY SPIRIT YAYYYY

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
every time people start listing off their top smash picks for a certain criteria, i feel the urge to stop what i'm doing and make an image since i like visualizing stuff more that way (and possibly ocd)

anyways here are my top 10 first-party wants

View attachment 383425

I don't really need any of these characters but I'd be happy if one of them made it, especially if they're from the top three. Trust me, the only thing I actually need for the next game is Olimar getting a rework, or him getting his personality at the very least lol. I would not want another Pikmin character before they fix Olimar.
Nabbit is such a goated choice and it reminds me that I should update the moveset I made for him

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I mean, while I don't doubt that Nintendo has most of the say in choosing characters, I can think of some things:
  1. They're willing to throw a bone or two for who Sakurai would like and allow him to work his talent on some characters.
  2. The people who personally know him are open to give characters he would personally like a chance. After all, he didn't make it a secret that Smash Bros. was inspired by Fatal Fury.
  3. They don't force him to do characters that he doesn't have an idea for, how to implement, etc, as Sakurai was suggested characters like Pac-Man, Villager, Heihachi, but they didn't get in at the time because he didn't know how to implement them at the time.
Basically, while I do believe Nintendo has most of the say, I do also think that they are open to characters he would like to do under some conditions.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
so? i hardly singled you out
Yes but I can't respond as everyone to whom it may have referred. In regards to my post, it misrepresented what I had said.

Which wouldn't have been a problem if it truly wasn't in reference to my post, but I could tell it, at least partly, was. Which you've now confirmed.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an Ace Attorney spirit for the 3rd or 4th spirit event of this year. Esp with the Apollo trilogy coming out this Friday and all that 0_o

ALSO IM 10 SPIRITS AWAY FROM GETTING EVERY SPIRIT YAYYYY
Just in time for me to finally start playing the series.

For anybody wondering, yes: I did get to the part where you cross-examine a parrot.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
"They will never live up to Brawl so they won't see any point in adding any more first party newcomers"
"Animal Crossing will never get more than one unique moveset"
Now these are takes likely to age like milk~~
(I know these are exaggerated versions of what was actually said, please don't take it the wrong way)

Look, I'll go to bat for Smash 4's base game lineup, which had some fantastic additions. But I just don't get this whole acting like Smash 4 is impossible to live up to because...it's not really that hard to construct a lineup of a dozen or so newcomers whose resumes compare reasonably favorably with the Smash 4 newcomers'. Not like they'd need to anyway...don't tell me brand-new additions from series like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, etc. won't get fans' motors running.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Just in time for me to finally start playing the series.

For anybody wondering, yes: I did get to the part where you cross-examine a parrot.
There's a very clear split just like the Megaman X Compilations.

Phoenix wright Ace attorney trilogy has the good games

Apollo Justice Ace Attorney trilogy has the bad ones.

The great ace attorney has the goated ones but these games arent connected to Phoenix or Apollo

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I also don't agree with the argumentative strategy of "I'm discounting these first party picks that I concede have big pull because I don't personally think they'll happen." Like, if you admit there are strong choices remaining and Nintendo opts not to go for them, then that's their fault for misreading what the most exciting additions would be, not a comment on the quality and supply of possible choices.

Last edited:

chinkuru

Smash Cadet
Alright, I’m inspired to try something. Whenever I make a list here of my most wanted characters, I always either just have a few first party characters or leave them out altogether. I’ll try to make a most wanted list limited to first party with the requirement that I feel like they need to at least have a somewhat decent chance so I don’t just list all my favorites with no basis.

1) Zoroark/Hisuian Zoroark
2) Officer Howard
3) Noah and Mio (Ouroboros fusion)
4) Dixie Kong (with animal buddies)
5) Impa (Hyrule Warriors)
6) Rauru
7) Raven Beak or EMMI
8) Medusa
9) The Black Knight
10) Isaac

I know I left out a lot of the most popular picks as well as a lot of my favorite niche characters but I think this would be a good list of plausible characters I’d be happy to see.
My 1st party top ten:
1) Tingle
2) Takamaru
3) Isaac
4) Skull Kid
5) Meowth
6) Toad
7) Tom Nook
8) Dixie Kong
9) Porky Minch
10) Ring Fit Trainee

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes but I can't respond as everyone to whom it may have referred. In regards to my post, it misrepresented what I had said.

Which wouldn't have been a problem if it truly wasn't in reference to my post, but I could tell it, at least partly, was. Which you've now confirmed.
what? I did not follow that

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Now, I can't say that some characters aren't popular, but we did recently have a discussion regarding popularity outside of the West and noted the extreme lack of knowledge regarding the JP popularity of some characters. Which is still a factor to keep in mind for future games.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What are some western properties that are popular in Japan? I know StarCraft is really popular in South Korea but I’m not sure whether it’s popular in Japan as well. How popular is something like League of Legends or World of WarCraft compared to Halo or Crash?

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
What are some western properties that are popular in Japan? I know StarCraft is really popular in South Korea but I’m not sure whether it’s popular in Japan as well. How popular is something like League of Legends or World of WarCraft compared to Halo or Crash?
Crash actually got it's peak of popularity in said country. That's where the dance came from, and there are some ads featuring him with PaRappa.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think I’m the reverse, I’d be more hyped for chibi-robo and Ashley mizuki robins than a lot of the popular third party pics.

but then again do we need every character to be hype? a few low key inclusions might do us good
I really don’t like the notion that characters have to be iconic or big to be in smash. and I particularly dislike it when it’s used to suggest to are no more interesting first party characters. let’s face it what you probably mean is there’s no more first party characters that interest you personally. some of us have hundreds of first party characters we’d love to have more than some of the most popular third parties. as for likelihood that’s anyone guess, sakurai is not exactly a man of rigid patterns
My thoughts exactly. Not to discredit highly-desired characters or anything (especially as I've wanted Bandana Waddle Dee for the longest time now), but I've always been even MORE taken with the 'oddball' choices of Smash. It honestly bugs me when people say 'There's no more big 1st parties to add to Smash' or 'There's little value in Nintendo adding their own characters anymore'.

In addition to it being FAR more financially viable for Nintendo to do just that (adding more of their OWN stock into Smash), I honestly don't know if I'd be THAT excited for so many 3rd parties being added. I know it sounds crazy to say, but I feel like the hype I'd get from 3rd parties being added would become a little dulled over time. 1st parties, on the other hand?

Heck, give me Chibi-Robo, Ashley Mizuki Robbins, Kyle Hyde, Angelique Noir (Style Savvy 4), Lark, Mona, Goku (Yuyuki), Urban Champion, Bubbles, and the like, and I'd honestly find THAT more exciting.

At this point, I assume I'm at least well-known around here for being far-and-away more interested in Nintendo's own catalogue of characters than the 3rd party side of things.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
According to this, and not including Minecraft or DKC or Luigi's Mansion sequels,.... Not a whole lot lol. GTA5 and some indie game I never heard of, and Crash at number 10.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Crash actually got it's peak of popularity in said country. That's where the dance came from, and there are some ads featuring him with PaRappa.
Yeah I believe Crash 2 was the first western developed game to hit 1 million sales in Japan, or something along those lines. It’s a pretty impressive feat, but unfortunately Crash’s later endeavors haven’t been quite as fruitful over there.

To my knowledge he’s still got some JP Smash requests though, I imagine most people view him as more of a classic PS1 throwback than anything. Then again, lots of Americans probably still see him this way too.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
My thoughts exactly. Not to discredit highly-desired characters or anything (especially as I've wanted Bandana Waddle Dee for the longest time now), but I've always been even MORE taken with the 'oddball' choices of Smash. It honestly bugs me when people say 'There's no more big 1st parties to add to Smash' or 'There's little value in Nintendo adding their own characters anymore'.

In addition to it being FAR more financially viable for Nintendo to do just that (adding more of their OWN stock into Smash), I honestly don't know if I'd be THAT excited for so many 3rd parties being added. I know it sounds crazy to say, but I feel like the hype I'd get from 3rd parties being added would become a little dulled over time. 1st parties, on the other hand?

Heck, give me Chibi-Robo, Ashley Mizuki Robbins, Kyle Hyde, Angelique Noir (Style Savvy 4), Lark, Mona, Goku (Yuyuki), Urban Champion, Bubbles, and the like, and I'd honestly find THAT more exciting.

At this point, I assume I'm at least well-known around here for being far-and-away more interested in Nintendo's own catalogue of characters than the 3rd party side of things.
And if they added these characters they might actually get more attention put into them. Smash Bros can singlehandedly make an obscure franchise into a popular one overnight, as can be seen with Earthbound and Fire Emblem. The decision to add Ness in Smash 64 turned Earthbound from an obscure SNES RPG that bombed in the West to being a cult classic that sold like hotcakes on the Wii U VC, and it's because of Smash that Fire Emblem is the massive franchise it is today, as without Smash Fire Emblem might not ever make it out of Japan. If they add more obscure Nintendo characters they might end up becoming icons in their own right.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think I saw either Skyrim or The Witcher, but I can't remember which...

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

y'know I never really gave Bubbles a second look whenever people mention her being fighter potential, but now that I have, I think she'd actually make a really unique retro rep. the whole gimmick of grabbing poles to re-orient her direction could be translated into Smash by giving her a move where she can grab the edges of soft platforms during knockback to redirect her momentum, letting her fly at another angle of her choosing (assuming the move is timed and positioned right).

...wectoring, but as an intended mechanic!

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I mean he had four games and two spin-offs and still made Isabelle a semi-clone.
I've been sitting on this point a bit, and I don't really like it. It took Sakurai like 15 years to figure out how to make Ridley work, I don't see why it would be such a strain on Sakurai's imagination to resonate a little more on Tom Nook and then come to the conclusion that he could swing his tail around and whack you with a bag of bells or something. It seems likely to me he just hasn't thought about him very much yet, or maybe in the earliest planning stages he contemplated whether to add him or Villager. Not that there's any evidence for that, though. But with Animal Crossing's unprecedented boom in success I think he will be forced to confront this again, and I guess we'll see whether or not he has anything new to say.

Isabelle actually had quite a few new ideas. Her Fishing Rod, her Lloid Trap, a unique (and adorable) jab, unique up and side smashes, etc. She's a strange inverse scenario compared to someone like say, Lucas or Falco who are bound to their source character via special moves and have largely unique normals. While Isabelle's specials are partially derivative, in that she shares an animation for her Down B, they work to establish a different gameplan. Meanwhile, her air game is near identical to Villager's with the exception of a functionally similar but visually different nair. It is admittedly odd that Sakurai introduced so many new concepts only to fall back on these, but he did provide plenty of fresh concepts too.

This is speculation on my end too, as most of these points are going to be, but I want to say Isabelle was potentially a victim of time crunch. It feels incohesive to have a kit that dabbles in these game-changing unique ideas but then retreads ground for slingshot aerials and the butterfly net grab. At the very least, I'd like to see them shed this away next game when they can commit more time to her, and I expect they might. But there's something else worth acknowledging about Isabelle - her role and her attitude are much more similar to a standard aloof townie in Animal Crossing. At least compared to Tom Nook - the business mogul, the shopkeep, the mild mannered fellow. These inform his moveset in an entirely different way, and I'd say he has more to concretely work with than Isabelle does (but lacked the prevalence at the time of Ultimate's roster-crafting). I don't expect him to be frolicking around happy-go-lucky with a slingshot and a butterfly net. I feel like if I can recognize this, Sakurai is capable of doing so as well. But I digress, we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
WoW itself isn't popular from what I've gathered. Same for LOL. But, I've seen plenty of Japanese streamer playing Hearthstone.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
y'know I never really gave Bubbles a second look whenever people mention her being fighter potential, but now that I have, I think she'd actually make a really unique retro rep. the whole gimmick of grabbing poles to re-orient her direction could be translated into Smash by giving her a move where she can grab the edges of soft platforms during knockback to redirect her momentum, letting her fly at another angle of her choosing (assuming the move is timed and positioned right).

...wectoring, but as an intended mechanic!
Wait which Bubbles? The only one I can think of is PPG, and that's not a video game character.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
"Bubbles Brings it Around Town" is such a genius tagline for her, like bruh 😭

Read through it just now. It's good! My favorite moves are the edge attack, down B, and especially that Final Smash, it's seriously creative.
Thanks! And speaking of movesets, I just finished one for Athena Asamiya.
Intro: Athena takes off her school uniform and proclaims “あてぇな 行きま!” (Here comes Athena!)

Stance/Idle 1: Her idle stance from KOF 98.
Idle 2: Athena clasps her hands behind herself in a playful manner.
Idle 3: Athena waves to the camera before winking.

Notable Palette Swaps
  1. KOF XV design
    • Color A (default)
    • Color B (blue)
    • Color C (yellow)
    • Color D (purple)
    • Color E (white)
    • Color F (black/red)
    • Color G (green)
    • Color H (black/purple)
  2. KOF ‘98 design
    • Color A (default)
    • Color B (blue)
    • Color C (yellow)
    • Color D (white)
    • Color A+B (black)
    • Color C+D (beige)
    • Color A+D (magenta)
    • Color B+C (pink)
Walk: Her walk from XV. She always faces the opponent in 1v1 battles, which also gives her the backwards walk from XV.
Dash: Her run from XV.
Damage: Her damage animation from XV.
Jump: Her jump from XV, with an added twirl for the second jump.
Crouch: Her crouch from XV.

Normal Attacks
Jab: Her far LP from 98 (6%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Her close HK from 98 (7%, small knockback)
Up+A: Her close HK from XV (8%, small knockback)
Down+A: Her crouching LK from 98 (6%, small knockback), which can also trip opponents.
Dash Attack: Her far HK from 98 (11%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Her crouching HP from 98 (8%, small knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Her crouching HK from 98 (7%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Her neutral jumping LK from 98 (7%, small knockback)
Air Forward+A: Her jumping HK from XV (10%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Her aerial Blow Back from XV (13%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: An angled version of her moving jumping LK from 98 (9%, small knockback)
Air Down+A: Phoenix Bomb; Athena throws herself back-first at her opponent (11% with a meteor effect, OK knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: New Psycho Reflector; Athena extends her palms as two psychic orbs revolve around them (21%, medium knockback). Unlike regular Psycho Reflector, this attack cannot reflect projectiles.
Up+A: Renkantai; a jumping knee strike followed by a jumping high kick (8% each hit, OK knockback)
Down+A: Her crouching HK from XV (17%, OK knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Athena uses her Psycho Energy to grab the opponent.
Pummel: Athena knees the opponent (1%)
Forwards+Throw: Bit Throw; Athena uses her Psycho Energy to spin her opponent around, then toss them forward (7%, small knockback)
Back+Throw: Psychic Throw; Athena uses her Psycho Energy to throw the opponent behind her (7%, small knockback)
Up+Throw: Super Psychic Throw; Athena points a finger upward before throwing the opponent directly upwards (11%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Psychic Shoot; a frontflip followed by Athena kicking the opponent down (8% with a meteor effect, small knockback)

Special Moves
B : Psycho Ball
; Athena throws out a ball of Psycho Energy (9%, small knockback). The command input is ↓↘→ + attack/special; A travels faster while B hits three times (4% each hit, small knockback).
B + ← → : Psychic Teleport / Psycho Reflect
  • Tilting the control stick forward has Athena turn into light and teleport forwards. The command input is →↙→ + attack/special; you can perform Fake Psychic Teleport by pressing shield during Athena’s dash.
  • Titling the control stick backward has Athena create a barrier that can reflect projectiles. The command input is ←↘← + attack/special.
B + ↑ : Psycho Sword; Athena rises upwards with her hand enveloped in Psycho Energy (15%, OK knockback). The command input is →↓↘ + attack/special; the command input version travels higher and has full invincibility.
B + ↓ : Phoenix Arrow; Athena curls into a ball and dives downwards while covered in Psycho Energy (16%, OK knockback). The command input is ↓↙← + attack/special; the command input version follows up with an extra kick (8%, OK knockback)

Final Smash: Psycho Medley☆Remix!; Athena rushes towards a single opponent. If it connects, Athena rushes the opponent down with several quick strikes while briefly transforming into her designs from KOF 94 to KOF XIV (28%). The attack finishes with a powerful Psycho Sword in her KOF XV outfit (30%, devastating knockback).

Fighter Ability: Desperation Moves
  • Shining Crystal Bit (↓↙←↓↙← + attack/special): Two orbs of Psycho Energy revolve around Athena
  • Crystal Shoot (↓↙← + attack/special during Shining Crystal Bit): Athena fuses the two orbs into a singular projectile. Athena can delay it by holding B and aim it upward on the ground and downward in the air.

Taunts
Up: Her taunt from KOF XV
Side: Her round win animation from KOF XV
Down: Her intro animation from KOF ‘98

Winposes
1: Her victory animation from KOF XV, but in reverse; Athena flies across the screen while enveloped in Psycho Energy, before reappearing in front of the camera.
2: Her intro animation from KOF XV
3: Her victory animation from KOF XIV

Applause: Athena claps for the winner
Icon: This artwork of Athena's phoenix form
Boxing Ring Title: Psycho Soldier
Star K.O.: “Gaaaah…!”
Victory Music: Fire! Fire! Psycho Soldier!
Kirby Hat: Athena’s hair, which changes depending on the costume Athena’s wearing

(Moveset reference)

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Isabelle kinda needs the slingshot though. She has no Lloyd Rocket, she's slow and floaty and her attacks have very little range. Slingshot is the only way she has to put some pressure into her opponents.
That move in particular I believe has stayed because of gameplay considerations. You'd have to rework her whole kit a lot in order to get rid of it, and she'd probably have to become fast and aggressive like Mario or as hard-hitting as Incineroar... Unless they also change her neutral B to a projectile or something to compensate for the loss of the slingshot.
My two cents.

About 1st party characters, I love the weirdos as much as everyone else, but they're not going to fill the roster with the likes of Sukapon, Lolo, Chibi Robo or Saki. It's way more likely to just get a bunch of recent faces, which is fine but those don't really excite me that much personally.
I'd very much welcome the likes of Tom Nook, Waluigi, Dixie, Isaac, Toad, Zelda anything... But again, I can't see many of them actually get in with how many times they've all been skipped over.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Do you just say things like this to make people upset?
I said because it's true. If someone literally has "hundreds of first party characters" they want in Smash, then they clearly DO NOT CARE who gets in, and will agree with ANYTHING suggested.

That...or they're just really big Pokemon/FE fans.

There's nothing wrong with supporting a niche Nintendo character that you love and have a personal attachment
He didn't say "a character". Or "a few characters". Or even "a bunch of characters". He said "hundreds".

Nobody actually cares about that many characters. It's disingenuous.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I feel like third parties have to be iconic on some level to be in smash. The biggest outlier to this was Terry.
I think Terry is more iconic than Joker or Bayonetta.

Debating what counts as iconic is a losing battle.

Hey. Sometimes it's just fun to do some photoshop.

1706157537704.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom