• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think the necessity of remakes/remasters/reimagining's all depends on the nature of the individual title. I'd actually say Resident Evil has managed the rare feat of a perfect remake with Resident Evil 1 (2002) and a practically perfect reimagining with Resident Evil 2 (2019). Both go for different approaches in redoing their respective titles (with the latter more significantly changed than the former) but both fundamentally succeed at what they're going for.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Dang, what a time to not be super big on a lot of Capcom series lol

This could be wrong and I don't recall the source, but wasn't there something a while back about the Monster Hunter team or producer or something preferring for MH to be represented in crossovers by the monsters themselves? Again, could be wrong, but I could've sworn there was something about that at one time.

I also think Dante would be funny just to bring the "What the hell is this?!" meme of him in Minecraft full-circle.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I also think Dante would be funny just to bring the "What the hell is this?!" meme of him in Minecraft full-circle.
There's pretty much variants of that meme for every DLC fighter from Byleth onward, because during CP5 speculation there were people leaking that there was "big news" for DMC fans who own Switches.

It was that DMC3 HD on Switch would let you switch between styles in real-time.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Dang, what a time to not be super big on a lot of Capcom series lol

This could be wrong and I don't recall the source, but wasn't there something a while back about the Monster Hunter team or producer or something preferring for MH to be represented in crossovers by the monsters themselves? Again, could be wrong, but I could've sworn there was something about that at one time.
I remember hearing that too, but I don't know if it was actually said by them, since the most I've seen is people parroting that statement in response to Monster Hunter not being in some crossovers like Smash Bros or Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Even then, it's kinda moot with Smash Bros. with Rathalos being in Smash Bros. as a Boss and Assist Trophy, so I don't see why the Monster Hunter can't be in Smash Bros. with them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

toonito

Smash Ace
I’m curious if Guile has any shot to make it as a potential Street Fighter character. He’s always been my personal favorite SF character. Chun-Li is probably more popular and more likely but Guile was the one chosen for an assist trophy and was the main character of the original Street Fighter movie so that’s something at least. My brother’s favorite character is Vega (claw) but he sadly has an even lower chance than Guile. I’d be excited for either of these but Chun-Li is fine too.
IMO he has a very slim chance of making it in due to his AT status even though we dont know if a 3rd party AT will get promoted. not likely tho due to stiff competition from his company as well as his genre.

that being said i also endorsed him due to his different control scheme from Ryu despite also being a FG character. Not only that Smash fans have already had some familiarity with charge inputs due to Terry's Up Special. The issue with this scheme is since all FG characters auto turn in 1v1 how it would affect back-forward charge specials.

For SF in Smash
Ryu (motion), Chun-Li (hybrid), Guile (charge) and M. Bison could've been a good main set.

Sakura in Smash also grew on me over time.

boiling it down to the pure essence of SF in Smash then Ryu and Chun-Li are the main 2 reps.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, so I wanna preface this by saying I've never played his games and know next to nothing about him, okay? That seemed like something worth clarifying.

If by some miracle, we get Alan Wake in Smash, we NEED this song. It is NON-NEGOTIABLE:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It would be incredibly funny if it ended up that Meowth was initially planned for Melee after years of people falsely claiming he was planned for 64 lmao.
Oh, man... that's right! It's been SO long since anyone's brought up that rumor that I forgot it was incredibly common to hear that, pre-Smash 4!

Still, if this IS the case, this bums me out, as I've always Meowth playable in Smash, and it DOES strike me as INCREDIBLY odd that he wasn't playable from the beginning.

Okay, I kind of get Smash 64, what with its limited budget and having to reuse models and animations, but still.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Oh, man... that's right! It's been SO long since anyone's brought up that rumor that I forgot it was incredibly common to hear that, pre-Smash 4!

Still, if this IS the case, this bums me out, as I've always Meowth playable in Smash, and it DOES strike me as INCREDIBLY odd that he wasn't playable from the beginning.

Okay, I kind of get Smash 64, what with its limited budget and having to reuse models and animations, but still.
Hey, who knows: Wapeach was just revealed to the world. Maybe a former Smash team member will let something slip one day?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Okay, so I wanna preface this by saying I've never played his games and know next to nothing about him, okay? That seemed like something worth clarifying.

If by some miracle, we get Alan Wake in Smash, we NEED this song. It is NON-NEGOTIABLE:

That's creepy I just started playing his 360 game bc it was a dollar lol >.> Spy!

:094: I choose you! Shadow Ball, now!!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Crash has enough potential to make a Smash roster. And it's my dream of nearly 20 years for a Mario vs Sonic vs Crash in a game
I wish you the best of luck, I just don’t think he will be in the game. Whether or not he deserves it or has potential doesn’t always correlate directly to whether or not I think it’s going to happen - it would be stupid of me to pretend he doesn’t have “potential”, which is why I didn’t say that.

Not much more I can say, I realize he’s a popular character but I don’t think it will happen. What I think ultimately means nothing so don’t feel too pressed about it.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I wish you the best of luck, I just don’t think he will be in the game. Whether or not he deserves it or has potential doesn’t always correlate directly to whether or not I think it’s going to happen - it would be stupid of me to pretend he doesn’t have “potential”, which is why I didn’t say that.

Not much more I can say, I realize he’s a popular character but I don’t think it will happen. What I think ultimately means nothing so don’t feel too pressed about it.
Banjo and Sora says hi

Never say never in Smash

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Banjo and Sora says hi

Never say never in Smash
I didn’t say never, I said I personally don’t believe he will be in the game. You’re welcome to believe what you like, I’m not the kind of guy who tries to shut down other people’s wishes but I’m welcome to share my opinion too. And can admit that there’s plenty of room for me to be wrong.

The simple fact that other characters people wanted made it in is not evidence, though. There are dozens of popular characters and Crash is not entitled to a spot over any one of them. He could make it, but “Banjo and Sora are in” is not ample enough reason for me to change my stance on a character who really doesn’t have all that much in common with either of them.

Well sure Crash's future is in limbo but so is Castlevania, Metal Gear, Megaman, Banjo...

It doesnt really matter when you get right down to it.
I could explain individually why I feel these situations are not similar to Crash but I’ll subside by saying you’re right, a character’s future being in limbo is definitely not the be all end all. Not really sure why I brought that up, if Crash’s demand persists then that’s really all you need. It’s not always enough to make it, but it’s enough to justify it at least.

I think on a side note I’m just curious what Crash looks like in a few years. He had such a huge renaissance where he was getting a healthy stream of new games and it just… kinda stopped? That's probably the only reason I mentioned it - that wave of optimism around the IP felt like it was keeping the conversation alive, and now without that it’s just like “you guys know Crash, he could be good right?” If we see Crash 5 soon I’m sure the flame will reignite.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I guess I can't speak for everyone, but I was absolutely on the Master Chief train before Steve was revealed and was convinced he was going to be in the game as the second Microsoft character. If anything it feels like Master Chief started to get more buzz after FP2 was confirmed and Steve fell more by the wayside under an assumption that Minecraft content may come through other means.
Master Chief got more buzz for FP2 than FP1 because right at the beginning he was deconfirmed by Frank O'Connor, formerly of Bungie and 343.

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 7.55.11 PM.png

Hope renewed for the second pass because this was early enough that it predated FP2 being chosen (allegedly). Also at this point the gates for third-parties had pretty much been blown down, Microsoft was in the game, there were those rumors about Halo coming to Switch and iirc this was at the height of MS and Nintendo holding hands and passing each other notes in class. Plus there was that false leak from Vergeben and others, though that was later.

Conversely I think Steve died down a bit in part because Banjo was seen to have "won", making him seem less likely - which I guess Chief got to sidestep by leveraging the Halo & MS/Nintendo collaboration rumors connection, being seen as a likelier by-product of that.

You could argue that they had and then lost the rights, but...

1. This has never happened before, even with notorious characters like Steve and Sora
Tbf we don't know this.

If they had licensed the character and something later went awry, and they yanked all traces of that IP out of the game (or at least the role), including the data, and no one ever said anything about it, we wouldn't know.

This isn't about MH specifically, just in general.

IMO he has a very slim chance of making it in due to his AT status even though we dont know if a 3rd party AT will get promoted. not likely tho due to stiff competition from his company as well as his genre.
It's not because of the AT, it's because of Chun Li. Why would being an AT stop him? ATs have been promoted before. They haven't been third-party, but there's nothing about being a third-party that would conflict with being eligible to promote.

Mio is probably the closest we’re going to get to Rex
Good

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well sure Crash's future is in limbo but so is Castlevania, Metal Gear, Megaman, Banjo...

It doesnt really matter when you get right down to it.
I'm not going to argue the point of Crash, but saying Castlevania and Mega Man are in limbo is a little off considering one has a very successful show that's still ongoing (with Richter as a lead now) and Mega Man just released an offline version of its gacha game, which is very rare to see. They could be doing better in certain ways, but they still have a presence even as of this year.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I kinda doubt they were gauging recent popularity given how much the fanbase has receded since the characters stopped, but fwiw, they probably have chosen the base characters - or have narrowed it down to a certain selection (clones aside, possibly) of what's next. Maybe not that long ago.

And in the west the most popular third-parties did seem to be Crash, Chief, Doom Slayer and Dante. I'm not sure any of those make sense for base over DLC, but if they were looking, those are probably the most common names they saw.

However, the influx of third-party games we see during the Switch 2 launch will have people tying them to Smash - when, for base at least, they likely were too late to be relevant. Though in terms of first-parties, if the roster was decided this year, games up to next year could still potentially make base.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
One series I could see getting a character in Smash is Octopath Traveler. I'm not too big into the series (only played the first one and didn't finish it), but I know it's gotten some great reception and the second game was a big improvement over the first. If Squeenix is working on a third game for the Switch 2 I could see them wanting to push a character for Smash.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Then Nintendo vs. Capcom should exists.
A Nintendo/Capcom merger should exist. Then all Capcom characters become 1st Party, and Smash doesn't have to worry about justifying including minor ones, or giving some franchises several.

I think the necessity of remakes/remasters/reimagining's all depends on the nature of the individual title. I'd actually say Resident Evil has managed the rare feat of a perfe vct remake with Resident Evil 1 (2002) and a practically perfect reimagining with Resident Evil 2 (2019). Both go for different approaches in redoing their respective titles (with the latter more significantly changed than the former) but both fundamentally succeed at what they're going for.
RE2make is a better remake than RE1make because it turns RE2 into a much better GAME. Specifically, an RE2 game that plays like RE4.

Unfortunately, RE1make still plays like RE1...it's a better version of that game, but it's still that same*****y control scheme.

He could make it, but “Banjo and Sora are in” is not ample enough reason for me to change my stance on a character who really doesn’t have all that much in common with either of them.
Crash and his circumstances have a huge amount of overlap with Banjo.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Crash and his circumstances have a huge amount of overlap with Banjo.
At face value sure - they are both western platforming mascots. But Banjo's circumstances are some of the most unique in the game, and I don't like equating other characters to them because there is nobody who fills their shoes. The reason Banjo is here, the reason he was requested so heavily in the first place, is because Banjo is estranged FAMILY. Banjo-Kazooie was one synonymous with the Nintendo brand. Everyone knows this, so I don't have to explain it.

But yeah, this scenario that prioritized Banjo and brought us here is a result of a direct association with Nintendo and 20 years of consistent fan outcry. Crash Bandicoot is an iconic character, once upon a time he was kind of a rival to Mario, but he simply was not a prominent request until Smash Ultimate. Crash does not, nor does any other character, match the combination of unique history and longstanding fan demand that Banjo & Kazooie do, so it's not really correct to judge them the same way. A character of their standing would probably not be on the table without those special details.

What are the major requests Japan has at this point?
I wish we had a better clue about this. We can make educated guesses but I don't like speaking for a group that I have no direct contact with.

My kneejerk reaction though is to assume that some of the especially popular legacy IPs over there, namely Monster Hunter and Puyo Puyo, probably hold a similar status to how we view our own homegrown series like Halo or DOOM. Kirby is always a big deal in Japan too so I wouldn't be surprised if Bandana Dee holds a similar amount of weight as he does here. But I can cite no recent surveys or polls from Japan, unfortunately.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Uh... has anyone heard about this??? I have to admit, it WOULD explain quite a lot...

Huh. That's actually pretty damning evidence. Not as much as the forbidden seven, but enough to where I'm convinced Meowth was part of the original plan.

I wish we knew more about scrapped characters tbh. Especially for the newer games, because most of the already scant information we know comes from 64-Brawl. For one, I have zero doubt that there was at least one character planned for Ultimate that got scrapped due to time constraints (they only barely finished Plant, after all). I get why they're coy with the information, because people would probably get upset to find out their character was almost added, but I don't know. People will be immature either way.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I just realized something.

What are the major requests Japan has at this point? All the data I've seen was old, outdated and inaccurate.

Any data that's reliable and new?
I have no new data but I know characters like Dante, 2B, Arle and Monster Hunter are both generally popular and at least were pretty requested at one point. And given how those characters have all remained fairly relevant, I imagine they're still towards the top over there. Based on the general reception of the series I would assume Kiryu is overall popular, but Smash-wise I don't recall.

I also know that Crash is not as popular there as you sometimes hear. He was popular there. During the PS1 era. Since then he's fallen off significantly. However, at least they'd still be familiar with him, presumably. The adult gamers, at least.

First party wise BWD is probably the most consistently popular character. I would imagine FE/Xenoblade characters may cycle in and out, but are probably heavily timing-based.

I would posit that Dante is probably the most evenly highly requested character right now between regions.

But it's hard enough to get data with a decent sample size here, currently. Even if you found something from the Japanese side of the internet, it wouldn't necessarily be sizeable enough to be particularly admissible.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I just realized something.

What are the major requests Japan has at this point? All the data I've seen was old, outdated and inaccurate.

Any data that's reliable and new?
At the least, we know Sora, Banjo and Dragon Quest were wanted if taking the Smash Ballot into account.

As of now?....Hard to tell when there isn't a concrete number. There was a Japanese magazine that did their own poll, but they only got around 986 people. There was another Japanese poll by Inside Games that had about 3000 people. There was that one Reddit user who made the Top 10s regarding the different regions based on replies to Nintendo's Twitter. Can't find any other ones, probably due to lack of info.

They happened before all the DLC came out and Sora and Sephiroth was pretty consistent among them. Some other ones who appeared multiple times were Bandana Dee, Crash Bandicoot, Monster Hunter, Arle Nadja, 2B and Dante.

But really, aside from those ones, I have not found any other mentions/articles/etc of Japanese polls or replies, so there may be alot of inconsistency regarding what they want.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Uh... has anyone heard about this??? I have to admit, it WOULD explain quite a lot...

Would it be accurate to say Meowth is the most screwed character in Smash history? As in like, I don't know if he will ever get a serious chance again. Characters miss the boat all the time but for many of them there's always tomorrow. But the Pokemon train never slows down.

I love the little guy and while this is an exciting theory, it also depresses me a bit to know that he really missed the boat. For a character so significant at the time, and so important to the anime, he simultaneously feels like one of the biggest absences and also a relic of what could have been.

It's hard to justify adding Meowth now when marketing does not favor him and the series trucks onwards with a few dozen new Pokemon every generation to further snub out all the old candidates. So I wish we did get Meowth back then, taking advantage of his last real chance at joining the fray and probably sitting pretty cozy as Pikachu's direct rival and a legacy character by now. I really just feel bad for him.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
At the least, we know Sora, Banjo and Dragon Quest were wanted if taking the Smash Ballot into account.

As of now?....Hard to tell when there isn't a concrete number. There was a Japanese magazine that did their own poll, but they only got around 986 people. There was another Japanese poll by Inside Games that had about 3000 people. There was that one Reddit user who made the Top 10s regarding the different regions based on replies to Nintendo's Twitter. Can't find any other ones, probably due to lack of info.

They happened before all the DLC came out and Sora and Sephiroth was pretty consistent among them all. Some other ones who appeared multiple times were Bandana Dee, Crash Bandicoot, Monster Hunter, Arle Nadja, 2B and Dante.

But really, aside from those ones, I have not found any other mentions/articles/etc of Japanese polls or replies, so there may be alot of inconsistency regarding what they want.
I would discard the last reference; those results were compiled from a very, very small sample size just taken from twitter comments. Which is why you see things like Agumon and Heavy in the top ten.

And just overall it's unfortunate that even those other polls, the biggest one has a sample size which would still be considered... ok in the west. I know the demographics are highly skewed where it's basically Japan on one end, and then basically the west on the other, but still. The bigger of those polls only has one character with votes in the triple digits.

So yeah, given that, the best way to go about it is I guess just look at the most common faces. I underestimated Crash's performance given his overall performance in Japan these days, but it's... more or less what I remembered.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I didn’t say never, I said I personally don’t believe he will be in the game. You’re welcome to believe what you like, I’m not the kind of guy who tries to shut down other people’s wishes but I’m welcome to share my opinion too. And can admit that there’s plenty of room for me to be wrong.

The simple fact that other characters people wanted made it in is not evidence, though. There are dozens of popular characters and Crash is not entitled to a spot over any one of them. He could make it, but “Banjo and Sora are in” is not ample enough reason for me to change my stance on a character who really doesn’t have all that much in common with either of them.
You gave me the impression that Crash will never be in the game based on how you worded it. His time will come. Eventually. It's a matter of when.

Characters like Ridley, K Rool, Banjo, Steve, and even Sora were heavily requested throughout the past 15 years and took them until 2018-2020 timeline to get them all in.

Sora not being ample enough is somewhat surprising. Not counting that he was heavily requested, he pretty much got in by luck. If I recall correctly, Sakurai bumped into a Disney rep to get things started and that led to many discussions. Think about it: Sora is pretty much the definition of "unlikely" due to his connections to Disney. But he broke that barrier thanks to Sakurai.

Crash does not, nor does any other character, match the combination of unique history and longstanding fan demand that Banjo & Kazooie do, so it's not really correct to judge them the same way.

Last time I checked, Crash does have fan demand during the Wii U/3DS era. Let's not forget that unlike Banjo, Crash was pretty much one of the main faces of the Playstation/Sony era during the PS1/PS2 and was considered a "rival" to Mario. Outside of Sonic, very few characters get that recognition. All the games were very solid and well received throughout the PS1 and most of PS2 era.

Last edited:
Top Bottom