• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Namco-Bandai also has Soul Calibur, Dark Souls, Dig Dug, Katamari Damacy, Taiko Drum Master, Xenosaga, and maybe Galaga or Klonoa as being somewhat likely other options. And admittedly, I'd be more interested in these and Digimon than Tales of.
They also have SRW but that only went international in recent years most of its earlier titles are stuck in Japan for licensing issues.

The only reason I bring that point up is because Lloyd is always the assumed Tales character if we get one. I do think he’s still the most likely but I don’t think it’s a sure thing. Add that to the fact that Lloyd is probably my least favorite Tales protagonist and that some of the others are among my favorite characters in gaming and that’s why I like to talk about alternatives.
It's mostly because Lloyd was one of the big third party requests back during the Brawl era.

I think him and Geno are the only ones who haven't been made playable.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean, it wouldn't be the first time Smash speculation drove itself into a corner for no reason.

Prior to Joker and Cloud's addition, neither of them was taken seriously in the slightest because everyone thought we would get more Nintendo-centric or mascot-y characters instead of them. Lloyd is likely due to his popularity among Smash fans but there's always a good chance that Sakurai/Nintendo would want to go with a different choice - possibly someone who's more popular in the Tales fandom.
How popular is Lloyd within the general Tales fandom? I know I definitely don’t speak for everyone and I tend to have unusual tastes in characters. I think my current favorite main protagonist is Velvet followed by Yuri. Shionne might be my favorite character overall but she’s technically a supporting character to Alphen.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
How popular is Lloyd within the general Tales fandom? I know I definitely don’t speak for everyone and I tend to have unusual tastes in characters. I think my current favorite main protagonist is Velvet followed by Yuri. Shionne might be my favorite character overall but she’s technically a supporting character to Alphen.
Im pretty sure velvet and Yuri are the most "normie" favorites for tales of protagonists

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Why wouldn't Steve get nerfed in a new game?
Well hence the "unless they do" but why wouldn't they? Inunno...I don't want to assume they will bc anything goes this time around. I don't even think we can use past speculation to inform new speculation, right dream1ng dream1ng ? (: I don't want to assume that any 3rd parties are necessarily coming back. So yeah though I have always had a reputation for stating the obvious, it's because I hate Steve and want him to disappear. I didn't feel that way about meta knight. That's incredibly biased of me, but that's okay bc F Microsoft. Nintendo!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Im pretty sure velvet and Yuri are the most "normie" favorites for tales of protagonists
I knew about Yuri but wasn’t sure on Velvet. That’s cool to hear. I feel like I spend so much time on here and never on any Tales specific forums that I probably get a skewed view on what’s actually popular on a larger scale beyond just with Smash fans. I’m hoping that Alphen and Shionne are decently popular too because I’d love to see Shionne in Smash.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
That was a general sentiment back in the Smash 4 days, when there was a huge anti-third party sentiment among the fanbase and it was usually only the more cartoon mascot-like characters that were even talked about, especially once it was officially confirmed that Snake was cut.
It’s interesting how that sentiment flipped when Ultimate’s DLC came out. There was a big anti-first party sentiment then, and people wanted out of left picks to one up the previous one (aka keep building more and more hype). The cartoon mascots were still most wanted, more so with Ultimate’s DLC.

I wonder how public perception will change once Smash 6 gets announced. The roster would likely shrink… Will it continue Ultimate’s leanings towards third-parties? Or will we see a return to the Smash 4 days where only a few third-parties are legitimate choices?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m personally not anti first or third party. I’m just pro characters I like. Admittedly, most of the characters I’m most excited for at this point are third party just because all the first party characters I really like that have a decent chance are already in. There’s still a few popular first party characters I’d love to see but they are a lot fewer in number than for third parties.

I feel like the same is true for western characters vs Japanese characters. I play way more games made in Japan than the west but my most wanted Japanese characters aren’t particularly likely and I already got one of my dream picks in Sephiroth. Many of the more realistic Japanese characters I like are already in so my focus shifts more to western characters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It’s interesting how that sentiment flipped when Ultimate’s DLC came out. There was a big anti-first party sentiment then, and people wanted out of left picks to one up the previous one (aka keep building more and more hype). The cartoon mascots were still most wanted, more so with Ultimate’s DLC.

I wonder how public perception will change once Smash 6 gets announced. The roster would likely shrink… Will it continue Ultimate’s leanings towards third-parties? Or will we see a return to the Smash 4 days where only a few third-parties are legitimate choices?
It will probably be based on what fighters actually get revealed early on, as that will largely shape the fandom's perception on what characters get talked about in the community.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Off topic:

I am gonna miss the days of the “E3 character reveal”
With E3 not being a thing anymore, do you all still think we'd get a "newcomer blowout" of multiple character reveals in, say, a general Nintendo Direct, or will that kind of thing now be confined to Smash-specific Directs?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm sorry :ultsteve: that was mean. I have no I'll will towards Steve fans. I ... Must go and repent or :ultenderman: will haunt my quick play for a week.

osby

Smash Obsessed
From what I can tell, he's pretty popular but characters like Luke and Sorey usually place higher than him on popularity polls and that's without going into Yuri and Leon - who are outright omitted from those polls because they win all the time - and recency favor that Arise characters have.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm sorry :ultsteve: that was mean. I have no I'll will towards Steve fans. I ... Must go and repent or :ultenderman: will haunt my quick play for a week.
Steve was literally my least wanted character for Smash but I think it’s important to try to see things from other people’s point of view and be happy for the fans that love the character. It’s good to take a step back and realize that no game is catered specifically to our own personal taste. That’s probably a good thing anyways because it can introduce you to characters you never gave much thought to before or even give you a new appreciation of characters you didn’t care for previously.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Ultimate actually followed pretty much the same format for third parties as previous games if you think about it; 1-2 unique third party newcomers in base and then more focus on third parties in DLC. Only difference was Ultimate had more DLC, and I guess also put third party Echoes/clones on the table, which made the same general format seem like a more tangible change in direction. Also EiH being a priority meant no third parties got cut, further enlarging the third party roster, but again I don't think that's indicative of a change in approach, just a byproduct rolled into EiH itself.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I mean, it wouldn't be the first time Smash speculation drove itself into a corner for no reason.
Sure. Unless it's correct. Then that reason is because it was the right reason.

Guess we'll wait for hindsight.

Prior to Joker and Cloud's addition, neither of them was taken seriously in the slightest because everyone thought we would get more Nintendo-centric or mascot-y characters instead of them. Lloyd is likely due to his popularity among Smash fans but there's always a good chance that Sakurai/Nintendo would want to go with a different choice - possibly someone who's more popular in the Tales fandom.
That's true, they might go the Joker or Cloud route, look past who is the most Nintendo-centric, and choose the most generally, globally prolific option.

I think... that's Lloyd.

But yes, you never know until you know. Let's see how it shakes out.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Lloyd is an interesting case because he's been universally accepted as the go-to guy for Smash, even though that doesn't necessarily correlate to his in-series popularity as a Tales protagonist. I don't really say this as a negative though, I think it probably would just be him at this point - I recall Sakurai even saying something along the lines of "it had to be Lloyd" when deciding who to make a Mii Costume in Smash 4. I think it'd be interesting to see a shake-up where we get someone different, but at this point I've come around to Lloyd and think from a sheer moveset perspective a dual-wielder is kind of overdue.

Outside of Tales, Dark Souls is always one that I've propped up and I still consider it fairly plausible. We neglect the series that have grown big in the "modern" era sometimes, and I feel like Dark Souls and the rise of "soulslike" titles in general are a phenomenon that ought to be given some acknowledgement. I'll echo the sentiment that if they didn't go for Tales, it'd probably be Dark Souls. I also saw someone mention Taiko earlier and personally I would be thrilled about that. If I can't get Rhythm Heaven, I'd just like something to represent the rhythm genre on the roster. And hey, Don-Chan has crossed over with Mario a few times already! Not counting on it but yeah probably worth a bit more discussion than it's gotten so far.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Well hence the "unless they do" but why wouldn't they? Inunno...I don't want to assume they will bc anything goes this time around. I don't even think we can use past speculation to inform new speculation, right dream1ng dream1ng ? (: I don't want to assume that any 3rd parties are necessarily coming back. So yeah though I have always had a reputation for stating the obvious, it's because I hate Steve and want him to disappear. I didn't feel that way about meta knight. That's incredibly biased of me, but that's okay bc F Microsoft. Nintendo!
Well I think we're in for an unprecedented amount of cuts (or basically none - depends on reusing of Ultimate), but a character being busted is a very simple solution that doesn't require axing them to fix.

And Steve is Steve. Minecraft is monumental and I'm sure he was one of the most profitable characters. I doubt he's among the likelier to be cut. But if, somehow, he was, I can't imagine it would be for balance reasons. Because they can just fix those.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Has Bomberman gone forgotten? All this discussion of third party reminded me he's a clear contender with strong Nintendo ties, just to throw a bone.
Yeah, Bomberman would be a fun choice. I enjoyed playing Super Bomberman on the SNES. My number one most wanted Konami character is Bill Rizer from Contra but I’d still be happy to see Bomberman get in as well.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Has Bomberman gone forgotten? All this discussion of third party reminded me he's a clear contender with strong Nintendo ties, just to throw a bone.
Bomberman would be a much bigger part of discussion if he hadn't been deconfirmed so early, because for a long time he would've been the main choice for the next "Konami rep" (a classification I disagree with, but happens). Now it's either him or Alucard, imo.

But he got both an AT and a Mii costume, and that might've been owing to the popularity he's had in the past. I hope he can pick himself back up again, demand-wise. For whatever it's worth, he's the third-party with the most Brawl-era popularity to not be in yet.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Not forgotten. I think Bomberman is a solid choice, probably the next in line from Konami with a fair bit of acknowledgement in the game already. So it's clear that Sakurai and the team consider him to be fairly popular and important. Unfortunately I'm not convinced that he'll transcend this role just yet but he's got a pretty fair shot at it.

That's the thing with Bomberman, I feel like there just isn't a ton to say about him. He makes enough sense, he's got the receipts in Smash itself. Hell, Konami has proven themselves to be pretty generous and easy to work with so I could see them going back to them. I don't think I'd put Bomberman on my prediction roster but I wouldn't argue with anyone who puts him on their own.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Bomberman would be a much bigger part of discussion if he hadn't been deconfirmed so early, because for a long time he would've been the main choice for the next "Konami rep" (a classification I disagree with, but happens). Now it's either him or Alucard, imo.

But he got both an AT and a Mii costume, and that might've been owing to the popularity he's had in the past. I hope he can pick himself back up again, demand-wise. For whatever it's worth, he's the third-party with the most Brawl-era popularity to not be in yet.
Do you think they’d go with a third CastleVania character before Bill Rizer? Contra is getting a new Switch game by Wayforward that actually looks really good. I would think that would help his chances quite a bit, especially if it performs well. Fingers crossed on that one.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Steve was literally my least wanted character for Smash but I think it’s important to try to see things from other people’s point of view and be happy for the fans that love the character. It’s good to take a step back and realize that no game is catered specifically to our own personal taste. That’s probably a good thing anyways because it can introduce you to characters you never gave much thought to before or even give you a new appreciation of characters you didn’t care for previously.
I did not even know MS had games beyond Halo and then like..Flight Simulator... Solitaire... Minesweeper! Like , there's this crazy game where you fight as a car I think it's Sega but anything is possible I just never thought of Minecraft cause I lump world building and sims together so imagine Sid Meyers Civ lol I'll be the dude that holds up the plaque "you've discovered pottery!"

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Do you think they’d go with a third CastleVania character before Bill Rizer? Contra is getting a new Switch game by Wayforward that actually looks really good. I would think that would help his chances quite a bit, especially if it performs well. Fingers crossed on that one.
Personally yes, just because Sakurai seemed to be remiss that Alucard couldn't make it. If they choose to expand on a few mainstay third party series like I anticipate they might then Alucard belongs in the same conversation as Tails / Eggman / Knuckles and Chun-Li. So I think by default the odds of this are pretty decent whereas Contra is kind of a fringe pick as is.

Contra is one of those games where I have a lot of love for it in a vacuum but I don't really need that to be validated in Smash. I wouldn't be mad about it, probably would be pretty happy, but it's also not the most compelling option in my eyes and I'm uncertain how much incentive there would be for Sakurai and Co either. Particularly when a character like Bomberman already exists and has that same retro appeal on top of having stronger popularity.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say Contra's popularity is probably also pretty skewed toward us in the west? The new game being developed by Wayforward, which if the Advance Wars remake is any indication has me skeptical of a proper Japanese release. Do we have any word on that for Operation Galuga? I'm really curious to know that now.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Yes, probably. Castlevania is bigger and a lot more popular overall than Contra, Alucard is a lot more popular than any of the Contra characters, and while it would be three characters, it would only be two original characters.

I mean Contra had all of DLC where it was unfettered by other Konami characters - even Goemon was out of the way - and it gained no real momentum. Yes we didn't know about the new game, but a budget title, fun as it looks, shouldn't be what makes or breaks popularity for a third-party series that would ostensibly be on the path to inclusion. Third-parties don't need to be recent. I'm not sure Contra is at the level where playability seems particularly likely.

That said, I don't find Alucard super likely himself - I think other existing third-parties are likelier to expand than Castlevania, but I still think he's got a better shot than any other Konami character, Bomberman aside.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say Contra's popularity is probably also pretty skewed toward us in the west? The new game being developed by Wayforward, which if the Advance Wars remake is any indication has me skeptical of a proper Japanese release. Do we have any word on that for Operation Galuga? I'm really curious to know that now.
Yes Contra is a lot more popular in the west than in Japan.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What does everyone think of Haohmaru from Samurai Showdown as a potential second SNK character? I’ve personally never played the series but I feel like Smash could really use a samurai character. I think that would be a really fun fighting style. Other options are Takamaru, Yasuo (League of Legends), Mitsurugi (Soul Calibur), Ryoma (Fire Emblem Fates), Oda Nobunaga (Samurai Warriors), and Masamune Date (Sengoku Basara).

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Although due to how SNK is repped in Smash right now I don't really think that we'll get another one unless they heavily change how the company is repped.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Off topic:

Next Smash cycle Nintendo will probably reguarly bring a reveal to TGA whenever they have the opportunity.

At least I hope they do if it meant those snoozefests being worth it to catch live.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Lloyd is an interesting case because he's been universally accepted as the go-to guy for Smash, even though that doesn't necessarily correlate to his in-series popularity as a Tales protagonist. I don't really say this as a negative though, I think it probably would just be him at this point - I recall Sakurai even saying something along the lines of "it had to be Lloyd" when deciding who to make a Mii Costume in Smash 4. I think it'd be interesting to see a shake-up where we get someone different, but at this point I've come around to Lloyd and think from a sheer moveset perspective a dual-wielder is kind of overdue.

Outside of Tales, Dark Souls is always one that I've propped up and I still consider it fairly plausible. We neglect the series that have grown big in the "modern" era sometimes, and I feel like Dark Souls and the rise of "soulslike" titles in general are a phenomenon that ought to be given some acknowledgement. I'll echo the sentiment that if they didn't go for Tales, it'd probably be Dark Souls. I also saw someone mention Taiko earlier and personally I would be thrilled about that. If I can't get Rhythm Heaven, I'd just like something to represent the rhythm genre on the roster. And hey, Don-Chan has crossed over with Mario a few times already! Not counting on it but yeah probably worth a bit more discussion than it's gotten so far.
I think that Dark souls is easily the most influential japanese games of the 2010's with no representation in Smash. I'm not a fan of those games, but it would really deserve it.

What does everyone think of Haohmaru from Samurai Showdown as a potential second SNK character? I’ve personally never played the series but I feel like Smash could really use a samurai character. I think that would be a really fun fighting style. Other options are Takamaru, Yasuo (League of Legends), Mitsurugi (Soul Calibur), Ryoma (Fire Emblem Fates), Oda Nobunaga (Samurai Warriors), and Masamune Date (Sengoku Basara).
I feel like Nakoruru is way more likely for how prominent she was in the Terry reveal trailer and she was the one chosen for the Samurai shodown mii costume, and I'm pretty sure she's just more popular overall. I think as a next SNK rep it would be either her or Iori Yagami, or maybe Kyo Kusanagi.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, I’m not overly familiar with SNK games so I don’t have a ton of stock in whether we get another character. I just thought Haohmaru has a cool design and I’d love to see a playable samurai in Smash. He seemed like one of the most likely options if we did get one.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
It would be cool to get a samurai. Looking at that list, I have realized this is the likeliest one:
:/

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If we get a second SNK character I think it's going to be Iori.

Because Sakurai loves Iori and mained him in his fighting game player days.

AlRex

Smash Lord
If there’s another SNK character, I’d love to see Metal Slug get in with the PF Squad all under the same slot. But again, that’s potentially personal bias, but it also makes sense to me given Terry’s representation was heavily focused on SNK’s fighters already.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Off topic:

That means every major gaming event is now run by Geoff Keighley. Yay...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'd prefer Nakoruru.
I think she's the more likely pick. She's something of an SNK mascot, and the bird gives her built-in recovery moves.

If there’s another SNK character, I’d love to see Metal Slug get in with the PF Squad all under the same slot.
The Metal Slug character should be the SV-001 Metal Slug itself. With various squad members driving it. Like Bowser Jr.

1702401278197.png

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Huh. That's actually pretty damning evidence. Not as much as the forbidden seven, but enough to where I'm convinced Meowth was part of the original plan.

I wish we knew more about scrapped characters tbh. Especially for the newer games, because most of the already scant information we know comes from 64-Brawl. For one, I have zero doubt that there was at least one character planned for Ultimate that got scrapped due to time constraints (they only barely finished Plant, after all). I get why they're coy with the information, because people would probably get upset to find out their character was almost added, but I don't know. People will be immature either way.
Would it be accurate to say Meowth is the most screwed character in Smash history? As in like, I don't know if he will ever get a serious chance again. Characters miss the boat all the time but for many of them there's always tomorrow. But the Pokemon train never slows down.

I love the little guy and while this is an exciting theory, it also depresses me a bit to know that he really missed the boat. For a character so significant at the time, and so important to the anime, he simultaneously feels like one of the biggest absences and also a relic of what could have been.

It's hard to justify adding Meowth now when marketing does not favor him and the series trucks onwards with a few dozen new Pokemon every generation to further snub out all the old candidates. So I wish we did get Meowth back then, taking advantage of his last real chance at joining the fray and probably sitting pretty cozy as Pikachu's direct rival and a legacy character by now. I really just feel bad for him.
As someone who's supported Meowth for a LONG time, seeing this kind of hurts a bit as I had always believed Meowth to be a given for a Smash Bros. game. Given his recurring status throughout the anime (which Smash draws heavy inspiration from to pick their Pokémon characters), the idea that the little guy might have actually missed the boat is unbelievable to think about right now...

Which bandai namco rep do you guys see fitst? Personally, lloyd Irving due to the franchise sales and already being a mii costume like king k rool, Chrom and isabelle were before.
I guess going forward (now that we have Pac-Man and A Tekken character), it'd be Lloyd for me.

...Though I wouldn't be opposed to the following:
Reiji and Xiaomu
Taizo Hori
Tobi Masuyo
Susumu Hori
Valkyrie
Bravoman
Wonder Momo
Tarosuke
Taira no Kagekiyo
Pino and Acha
Namuko (Namco Heroine)
Hiromi Tengenji
Mappy
Reiko Nagase/Ai Fukami
Leila
Metro-Cross Runner
The Prince
Klonoa
Wagan
Gil
Ki
KOS-MOS
Waya-Hime
Red Baron and Blue Max
Richard Miller
Dr. Don and Dr. Dan
Albatross
Taki
Mitsurugi
Clovis
Rick Taylor!

Off topic:

Next Smash cycle Nintendo will probably reguarly bring a reveal to TGA whenever they have the opportunity.

At least I hope they do if it meant those snoozefests being worth it to catch live.
My God... I kid you all not, me and my brother were JUST talking about E3 and whether or not it'll even still be a thing going forward JUST LAST NIGHT.

What's more, after the trainwreck that was this year's Game Awards, I'm REALLY not looking forward to having Smash reveals be a thing there for the foreseeable future... :(

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Yuri as well, he's a popular request mostly competing with Lloyd for a Tales of rep.
The only thing I think Lloyd has over Yuri is that he has double swords and we haven’t had a rep who specializes in it

Yuri has swords, axes, and punching. Yet, he seem to be more popular. But it’s possible Yuri may have an ace in his sleeve. Either would be good Tales rep

Last edited:
Top Bottom