• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Actually SF is big enough to not be the Capcom rep too just the SF rep so Chun Li has been what I assume will be the new fgc ... C. But I forgotten Dante was Capcom **** so yeah actually I'd probably not only agree it's 50/50 between Hunter and Dante but now I want Dante again agony! (Jill Valentine sitting over here like wtf man)

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I am not one to be like "yarrgh these games should not be remade!!" Like, I generally like FF7R, even with the changes made. I liked Rebuild of Evangelion despite the changes that were made. I know I am being heavily biased and hypocritical but, to borrow your line...

I don't want anyone anywhere near it so he can ruin it some ****.

Chrono Trigger isn't only a game to me but it was an experience that is tied to so many things in my life. The game is one game I will revisit consistently and still get the same emotions and feelings. To me, this version of CT is timeless and what I most identify with. While a more modern rendition of the CT soundtrack would be awesome, the original soundtrack will always be the best no matter what. Again, I know I am being biased here but I highly doubt I would play a remake save for curiosity.

And before people say "Oh, you are one of thooooose people", seriously, this is the only game that evokes such feelings and dedication for me. Like, I would be beyond excited to see another game I am deeply connected to get remakes such as the Mega Man X series, Tales of Symphonia, and so on.

As for Chrono is Smash, that is a huge yes for me if not just for the music. Then I remember supporting Sora just for the chance of getting Utada in Smash and then, well, we know what happened. Granted, it would be easier to get the CT music in Smash but that left me a bit butthurt. Still, a time-traveling stage, Frog as an Assist, Lucca, and Magus Mii Costumes. Chrono doing the Prehistoric Rock dance as a taunt. It would be spectacular.
I have nothing against remakes but changing everything than slapping an old title and a couple of memberries into it is a waste of development time!
Case in point people saying that links awekening or Ocarina of time should be remade in Botws Open world style are dumb!
why throw away games that are masterpieces just to recreate them diffrently Make a new Game (like they did with TOTk) that actually makes sense!
But one thing a oot remake can do is include some small caves and new dungeons, a good fotomode, all classic/ Champion Link Tunics for oot link! and heck a new and improved refighting bosses mode from 3d (also masterquest obviously)

Ivander

Smash Legend
Actually SF is big enough to not be the Capcom rep too just the SF rep so Chun Li has been what I assume will be the new fgc ... C. But I forgotten Dante was Capcom **** so yeah actually I'd probably not only agree it's 50/50 between Hunter and Dante but now I want Dante again agony! (Jill Valentine sitting over here like wtf man)
I think Chun-Li deserves to get in as much as anyone not just to rep Capcom, but because of her significance to gaming as a whole. Same with Dr. Eggman.
Broke: Dante and Leon are Capcom reps
Woke: Dante and Leon are Hideki Kamiya reps :4bayonetta:
The Capcom rep should be Princess Devilotte de Deathsatan IX
It just goes to show....Capcom has too many characters that should be in Smash Bros.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m curious if Guile has any shot to make it as a potential Street Fighter character. He’s always been my personal favorite SF character. Chun-Li is probably more popular and more likely but Guile was the one chosen for an assist trophy and was the main character of the original Street Fighter movie so that’s something at least. My brother’s favorite character is Vega (claw) but he sadly has an even lower chance than Guile. I’d be excited for either of these but Chun-Li is fine too.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I’m curious if Guile has any shot to make it as a potential Street Fighter character. He’s always been my personal favorite SF character. Chun-Li is probably more popular and more likely but Guile was the one chosen for an assist trophy and was the main character of the original Street Fighter movie so that’s something at least. My brother’s favorite character is Vega (claw) but he sadly has an even lower chance than Guile. I’d be excited for either of these but Chun-Li is fine too.
Theoretically I feel like Guile could slot in as an eventual fourth Street Fighter character, but I'm pretty certain that nobody is getting in over Chun-Li. Ken beat her out for Ultimate because, naturally, he's easier to develop and is a good use of the echo fighter label. But beyond this, Chun-Li is quite literally the co-protagonist of the series and is treated equal to Ryu in most promotional material and pretty much every crossover that isn't Smash Bros (for now).

My mentality has always been that the motivation to add Chun-Li is not because we need another Street Fighter character, it's because we need Chun-Li. Guile is cool, but he just doesn't carry the same individual weight as the first lady of fighting games and Street Fighter's co-lead.

As an aside though, how cool would M. Bison be? Personally that'd be my pick if we continued to expand on Street Fighter after Ryu / Chun-Li are accounted for.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Theoretically I feel like Guile could slot in as an eventual fourth Street Fighter character, but I'm pretty certain that nobody is getting in over Chun-Li. Ken beat her out for Ultimate because, naturally, he's easier to develop and is a good use of the echo fighter label. But beyond this, Chun-Li is quite literally the co-protagonist of the series and is treated equal to Ryu in most promotional material and pretty much every crossover that isn't Smash Bros (for now).

My mentality has always been that the motivation to add Chun-Li is not because we need another Street Fighter character, it's because we need Chun-Li. Guile is cool, but he just doesn't carry the same individual weight as the first lady of fighting games and Street Fighter's co-lead.

As an aside though, how cool would M. Bison be? Personally that'd be my pick if we continued to expand on Street Fighter after Ryu / Chun-Li are accounted for.
M. Bison would be a lot of fun too. I’ll take as many villains in Smash as we can get. Maybe I’m weird but I still enjoy creating heroes vs villains matchups in Smash and I generally just like being able to play as villains.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I could se that but than make it actually NINTENDO VS Capcom nintendo has so much more iconic characters and vs games are equal that i think having no pokemon and kirby would help the roster!
Kirby is Nintendo. I recognize that Pokemon is a strange case but Kirby is unabashedly treated as a Nintendo brand. Look, there he is.

I don't see how it would help the roster at all to leave Kirby off when at most it would have like two characters, and both of them would be fun and interesting. I can understand thinking Pokemon may be more difficult to secure or disruptive to roster balance if you anticipate they would need a whole bunch of characters - which really, is not needed anyway a crossover roster with Capcom would be balanced much differently than Smash Bros.

But that's just unnecessary shade toward Kirby for the sake of what, genuine purebreed Nintendo? Do we not get anyone from Xenoblade because Xenoblade is developed under Monolith Soft? Intelligent Systems? This is a snowball effect that would lead to very undesirable exclusions.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Kirby is Nintendo. I recognize that Pokemon is a strange case but Kirby is unabashedly treated as a Nintendo brand. Look, there he is.

I don't see how it would help the roster at all to leave Kirby off when at most it would have like two characters, and both of them would be fun and interesting. I can understand thinking Pokemon may be more difficult to secure or disruptive to roster balance if you anticipate they would need a whole bunch of characters - which really, is not needed anyway a crossover roster with Capcom would be balanced much differently than Smash Bros.

But that's just unnecessary shade toward Kirby for the sake of what, genuine purebreed Nintendo? Do we not get anyone from Xenoblade because Xenoblade is developed under Monolith Soft? Intelligent Systems? This is a snowball effect that would lead to very undesirable exclusions.
Honestly, I feel like it would be a bit weird to leave out Pokemon from a Nintendo crossover too. At the very least, I think they would try to get Pikachu and Charizard (or Lucario). We don’t need 8 characters like we have now but it would feel wrong to drop them entirely.

Oracle Link

Smash Master

I dont know i just wanna have toon link! and considering that smash is STRUGGELINg to juggle its ip doing the same with only 20 characters seems impossible!
Also i do like Kirby i just dont wanna see some bad cuts for Zelda!
Aslo kirby with eyelashes is super cursed same with makeup kirby plushies! Makeup and kirby should be only brought up together when its an ability!

also do you have notice the "FUN" fact that it say utilize nintendo ip with link clearly visible yet zelda isnt in the themepark, hasnt had a movie yet (alrhough obvioulsy that changes soon), doesnt have a mobile game and Zelda getting character based merch HAHAHAHAHa yeah no that doesnt happen either (im gonna cry now)

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I feel like if it were up to you half the Nintendo side of this roster would be Zelda characters for some reason
True! Although i would probably say a unique zelda roster/ Fighting game is preferable! In the VS Case i say 4 is the best number:
Toon Link (with classic weapons), Zelda (with light bow), Ganondorf (trident maybe) and champion link (with his new abiltys)
But yeah if you give me the choice i would slap 20 more in there!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I dont know i just wanna have toon link! and considering that smash is STRUGGELINg to juggle its ip doing the same with only 20 characters seems impossible!
Also i do like Kirby i just dont wanna see some bad cuts for Zelda!
Aslo kirby with eyelashes is super cursed same with makeup kirby plushies! Makeup and kirby should be only brought up together when its an ability!
I'm sorry to say, but if we narrowed the roster down to 20 characters... even if we kept it exclusive to in house, Nintendo EAD franchises I highly doubt that Toon Link would make the cut. You need the main four Mario characters, you'll get the main three Zelda characters, Yoshi, Wario, DK... Isabelle, Inkling, Olimar, Samus... probably Fox and Captain Falcon. That's like four remaining slots, probably better served getting dished out to new series rather than stacking up on an already fulfilling Zelda lineup, let alone another version of a character we already have.

Not to mention, in a theoretical vs Capcom fighter it's not a matter of "cuts". Nobody gets cut, the roster is built from the ground up with a different team.

Honestly, I feel like it would be a bit weird to leave out Pokemon from a Nintendo crossover too. At the very least, I think they would try to get Pikachu and Charizard (or Lucario). We don’t need 8 characters like we have now but it would feel wrong to drop them entirely.
Mewtwo would be unbelievably cool in a traditional fighter, so I'd advocate for him. The characters I'd be most eager to see in a game like this are definitely the big powerful guys like Mewtwo, Ganondorf and Palutena. If there's something I feel like Smash can serve to improve on it's making these characters feel like the titans they're supposed to be, something that 2D fighters and especially Capcom games are always great at.

I don't get how Crash qualifies as a mascot of their parent company and Master Chief doesn't. I feel like Master Chief trumps Crash on both of these fronts.
That's what I was saying! My statement was in support of Master Chief over Crash. So you agree with me completely.

See: Brand new genre. Master Chief is the face of FPS, and Crash is another platforming mascot. We got a ton of those guys already. I mean, I go on to explain why Master Chief has a lot more scope and crossover appeal than Crash and that the latter is a largely unnecessary inclusion in the very same sentence.

And yes, Crash isn't really the mascot of any major company right now. Maybe Naughty Dog? Activision has bigger things going on and Xbox has Master Chief.

Last edited:

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
That's what I was saying! My statement was in support of Master Chief over Crash. So you agree with me completely.

See: Brand new genre. Master Chief is the face of FPS, and Crash is another platforming mascot. We got a ton of those guys already. I mean, I go on to explain why Master Chief has a lot more scope than Crash and that he's a largely unnecessary inclusion. I feel like you didn't read my entire post.
I got what you were saying perfectly fine. I was just harping on the point you made about Crash being a mascot, because I'm pretty sure that Master Chief is far more emblematic of Xbox, than Crash is of Activision.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I got what you were saying perfectly fine. I was just harping on the point you made about Crash being a mascot, because I'm pretty sure that Master Chief is far more emblematic of Xbox, than Crash is of Activision.
That's what I said, Master Chief is the mascot of a major company and Crash Bandicoot currently is not.

Wait nevermind, you're using my post as a springboard. Glad we agree then! Lmao sorry I'm running on not a whole lot of sleep right now.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think they’re both still strong contenders but I believe Crash and Master Chief’s chances are a bit overestimated. Neither one is as popular as they once were and I feel like other western characters have since surpassed them in popularity. Master Chief has never had a true appearance on a Nintendo console either whatever that counts for. I do still think Crash and Chief have a decent chance but I don’t think they’re the runaway favorites for western picks that many make them out to be.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
crash and chief must be the characters we talk about the most. well you guys talk about i just wait for the topic to change

Gengar84

Smash Hero
crash and chief must be the characters we talk about the most. well you guys talk about i just wait for the topic to change
I have my own set of characters I probably talk about too much but I often feel like I’m in my own little world and no one else seems to care about them lol.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
how do you think I feel with toad and chibi?
I hear you. I think Toad is very deserving of a spot in Smash as he’s been the player 4 character in several Mario games. His only minor hurdle is his inclusion in Peach’s and Daisy’s movesets but that can be worked around. I’ve never played Chibi Robo but Ray MK II has a pretty cool design and would be a fun surprise pick.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:
That should be an interesting one. I had a ton of fun with Xenoblade 3 and I’m still in the middle of the DLC story. I’d personally prefer a Noah/Mio Ouroboros fusion form as a playable character than either one individually but I certainly won’t complain about any representation from that game. I just need the Chain Attack theme and Mobius boss battle theme and I’m happy.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's definitely highly likely, but honestly it's probably a coinflip between MH and Dante for the next Capcom character, because of the huge demand for him during the DLC season
I dunno man...this has been the generation of Leon.

Case in point people saying that links awekening or Ocarina of time should be remade in Botws Open world style are dumb!
why throw away games that are masterpieces just to recreate them diffrently Make a new Game (like they did with TOTk) that actually makes sense!
Why remake a game to be exactly the same when the original version of the game already exists?

Resident Evil 2 is an example of a perfect remake. Modernizes everything. Steamlines and fleshes things out. Tons of quality of life improvements. Basically just take the general plot of the original, and just make a better game.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Why remake a game to be EXACTLY the same when the original version of the game already exists?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
well it’s strongly implied that that mio is Rex and nia’s daughter
Huh, somehow I missed that connection. Maybe I haven’t gotten that far in the DLC.

I always assumed Rex ended up with Pyra/Mythra over Nia so it’s weird that wasn’t the case.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have nothing against remakes but changing everything than slapping an old title and a couple of memberries into it is a waste of development time!
But one thing a oot remake can do is include some small caves and new dungeons, a good fotomode, all classic/ Champion Link Tunics for oot link! and heck a new and improved refighting bosses mode from 3d (also masterquest obviously)
I know this isn’t the thread for this but literally who is talking about open-world OoT or Link’s Awakening? I highly doubt there is an effort to push these games into open-world format and, if there are, they are a very small minority of people who should be ignored and using them for a basis of, well, whatever you are trying to achieve in your post. Your post was a huge swing and a miss in regards what the aim of my post was.

Seriously, people could be talking about favorite breakfast cereals and Oracle comes in like “The fact that Zelda does not have acereal brand makes me mad!!”

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Huh, somehow I missed that connection. Maybe I haven’t gotten that far in the DLC.

I always assumed Rex ended up with Pyra/Mythra over Nia so it’s weird that wasn’t the case.
all three actually , he ended up with all three.

Top Bottom