• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly, if they weren’t gonna do enough to make Chrom and Lucina stand out as Echo Fighters, I think they would’ve been better off appearing in Robin’s Final Smash (Chrom appearing alongside M!Robin, and Lucina appearing alongside F!Robin).
Nah, I’m happy I still get to play as them at all. Lucina’s one of my brother’s favorite Smash and Fire Emblem characters even if she does play very similarly to Marth. Chrom is fun too despite mostly just being Roy with Ike’s up special. That said, had Lucina just been a Marth alt, I would have been just as happy since the tipper mechanic is pretty far down on my list of why I like either Marth or Lucina.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think Lucina's ****talking in Smash Bros. was more a result of lost in translation or a lack of detail for voice acting. In the Japanese version of Smash Bros, Lucina says something very similar to Marth, but more in a "wonder and awe" sense, like she's surprised that she's fighting the Hero King in the first place. So her English line isn't mistranslated, but the tone is much different. And honestly, we'll likely never know why they let it be what it be, whether they didn't care much about how her voice actor said it and let her improvise or if they told her to say it like that.

Although sometimes it does come across as "American Kirby is hardcore", but with voice direction than with facial expression.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It was very good in my opinion. My favorites are still Ike’s games but Awakening and Three Houses aren’t too far behind.
I am very willing to try the other FE that everyone says is amazing. Although I do suspect it may make slightly more annoyed with how chrom is in smash. I feel there’s an air of condensation around it

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Moving onto another SRPG, how would everyone feel about a potential Disgaea rep? The series has been on Nintendo consoles for a while and just got a new game. The characters are fun and over the top and I feel like they could have very interesting Smash movesets. Laharl and Etna are probably the top two probably the top two contenders if I had to guess. Laharl makes a lot of sense being the first main protagonist but I personally prefer Etna as a character and she could easily incorporate the series mascots (Prinnies) into her moveset so that’s a plus for her.
I still think it'd be cool if they for some reason decided to put Super robot wars or Sakura wars in smash.
Maybe both at the same time since Sakura wars is part of the SRW series.

To give more context. This is what happened when the Fire Emblem writers actually had them meet.

Lucina is a strong character, but she's not even close to a **** talker and "tough girl," or a jerk. Lucina is hopeful, polite and honorable. She also doesn't get jokes, has a wacky side and is an absolute dork in anything that isn't ruling a kingdom or combat. This is the girl who tried to give Chrom clothes that had the face of his deceased sister on them, because she thought he'd like it (her mother stopped her).

Lucina is very much a dork protagonist and Smash has literally none of that.
I like Lucina's quirk of having weird fashion choices compared to the people around her. Like in Project X zone 2 when she meets characters like Morrigan and Maya fey and her response is something along the lines of "Ooooh, i love their attire! Simply ravishing."

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Just to think, Marth was my main in Melee that I was so curious what kind of series Fire Emblem was. I was wondering if it would be series I'd like to play.

Then I read it was an RPG series and was like "Dang it! Oh well." lol

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just to think, Marth was my main in Melee that I was so curious what kind of series Fire Emblem was. I was wondering if it would be series I'd like to play.

Then I read it was an RPG series and was like "Dang it! Oh well." lol
It's time to expand your taste.

Giving new things a try is the beauty of crossovers.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It's time to expand your taste.

Giving new things a try is the beauty of crossovers.
For some cases. Smash did make me want to play some Rayman games. I love Rayman Legends!

I've played a few RPGs but overall, they just never really been my thing. Tactical RPGs? Forget it.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just thinking about it. We all know Nintendo favored Japanese companies when it came to Smash Ultimate’s DLC and character choices for 3rd Parties in general. Konami, Atlus, Square got two, SNK, and Namco. I feel like the next two likely companies to get added are: Koei-Tecmo and Falcom. As a matter of fact I find them to be damn near a shoo-in.

So that begs the question: what western companies will get chosen next time. After all the only two western companies we got were Microsoft and, technically, Disney. I’m thinking maybe another dip into MS for an Activision character or maybe Ubisoft. What do y’all think?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just thinking about it. We all know Nintendo favored Japanese companies when it came to Smash Ultimate’s DLC and character choices for 3rd Parties in general. Konami, Atlus, Square got two, SNK, and Namco. I feel like the next two likely companies to get added are: Koei-Tecmo and Falcom. As a matter of fact I find them to be damn near a shoo-in.

So that begs the question: what western companies will get chosen next time. After all the only two western companies we got were Microsoft and, technically, Disney. I’m thinking maybe another dip into MS for an Activision character or maybe Ubisoft. What do y’all think?
The cynic in me says that due to Microsoft's acquisition streak, the next Western company to join Smash is already here.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I’d love to see another Microsoft character, primarily from RARE or Blizzard. Beyond that, I think Riot Games, NetherRealm Studios, and Embracer group are all solid options as well as they all own major western IP that is pretty iconic in gaming overall.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

I'd also put Bethesda in there with Elder Scrolls and Starfield, CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk, and Rockstar with GTA or Red Dead Redemption.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
On the subject of predictions (and some of the companies that NonSpecificGuy mentioned), let me go ahead and pull out this image I recently went back to and revised; my prediction roster for the next Smash (assuming EiH doesn't happen again and the game is a normal sequel)

Of course, I might consider changing up my template in the future--I didn't have enough space for it here, but I wanted to also mention one of the FE echoes coming back, though I don't know whether Chrom or Lucina would be higher priority in that regard.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

For the next Japanese companies, I also think Arc System Works is likely too.

As for Western companies, I can definitely picture another Microsoft rep. Maybe something from Bethesda like DOOM.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Calling Falcom inclusion a near shoo-in is an ambitious take.

I doubt most gamers can name a single one of their characters, let alone the more casual player. In the west, at least.

There's still a lot of globally higher-profile RPGs out there like Tales, Chrono, Nier, Dark Souls, SMT, and I guess Monster Hunter. And that's without any western ones, many of the most notable now under MS.

I don't see Falcom any more likely than ASW or Level-5, and potentially not even as likely as (though we'll see how all those new Level-5 games fare).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For the next Japanese companies, I also think Arc System Works is likely too.

As for Western companies, I can definitely picture another Microsoft rep. Maybe something Bethesda like DOOM.
I’ve only played one Guilty Gear game on the Wii but I think Sol Badguy could be pretty cool in Smash. He’s got a stylish design and a splashy moveset that would fit in really well. The series also has some pretty great music. I’d still put Fulgore, Sub-Zero, and Nightmare ahead of him as far as my most wanted fighting game reps go but I’d still be really happy to see Sol.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Alright folks, we've already got 2 Marios, 3 Links, etc. I'm gonna need a second (solo) Jr. moveset next game with this as an install.

1697773882432.png

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Well MS owns three of the four most requested western third-parties (excluding indies), so... fine with me if they get more.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
In a perfect world the next Japanese company to join Smash would be Data East
Pretty sure there are dozens of companies that owns their old portfolio: Paon DP (Glory of Heracles, Karnov, Windjammers), Arc System Works (Jake Hunter), CyGames (Metal Max), and Marvelous. Also, a few games are owned by a family.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Looking at past Smash games with third party, Brawl had 2 new companies (Sega and Konami), Smash 4 had 3 new (Capcom, Namco and Square) and Ultimate had 3 new (Microsoft, SNK and Disney). I wouldn't say this is a pattern that can't be broken, but I think having 2 or 3 new is fair considering that the more you add, the more licencing becomes hard. So I would say that the more likely to join would be Level-5, Koei Tecmo and either Falcolm or a indie rep (like Yacht club games, Brace yourself, Supergiant, Toby Fox, Team cherry to name a few).

That being said, tbh I could see having actually less new companies in the next game, because what we have right now have a huge library of characters to pull from. Esepcially Capcom, Sega and Microsoft it feels like we've barely scratch the surface of what can be add for them.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
nintendo has a colossal library of franchises rich with characters and potential. same is also true for many of the companies they work with. do we really need to worry about which company we should add next? unless it's level 5 with layton and yo-kai watch
No, we don't need to worry about it. But this is the speculation thread. Perhaps you're looking for the "next smash - actual necessary discussion thread", which currently has 0 posts. Including the OP.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, we don't need to worry about it. But this is the speculation thread. Perhaps you're looking for the "next smash - actual necessary discussion thread", which currently has 0 posts. Including the OP.
i have no idea what you’re on about

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I see it as more likely they'll pull from the already existing companies they already have access too instead of negotiating for ones they haven't contacted before

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

My guess is we'll get fewer and fewer new companies in Smash as time goes on, especially if third-party franchises already in Smash continue to get new, unique characters beyond Sephiroth. Most of the big requests from the Fighter's Pass era are owned by companies with characters already in Smash.

That being said, I do think Koei Tecmo and Ubisoft are probably the safest bets for new corporate partners for Smash due to their close partnership with Nintendo and the fact that they both own numerous iconic characters. Ezio in particular feels very slept on for Smash given Assassin's Creed's popularity.

Noipoi

Howdy!
On the subject of predictions (and some of the companies that NonSpecificGuy mentioned), let me go ahead and pull out this image I recently went back to and revised; my prediction roster for the next Smash (assuming EiH doesn't happen again and the game is a normal sequel)

Of course, I might consider changing up my template in the future--I didn't have enough space for it here, but I wanted to also mention one of the FE echoes coming back, though I don't know whether Chrom or Lucina would be higher priority in that regard.
Only four Fire Emblem characters? None of their echoes either?

This is reddit's wet dream :239:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
i have no idea what you’re on about
We don't need to worry about any of this: which company is next, which series is next, which character is next. The point of the thread is to speculate. For fun. We're probably gonna get most things wrong anyway.

And if the category we speculate on has a library rich with options, all the more to speculate on.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We don't need to worry about any of this: which company is next, which series is next, which character is next. The point of the thread is to speculate. For fun. We're probably gonna get most things wrong anyway.

And if the category we speculate on has a library rich with options, all the more to speculate on.
but i didn't say we needed to worry

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Looking at past Smash games with third party, Brawl had 2 new companies (Sega and Konami), Smash 4 had 3 new (Capcom, Namco and Square) and Ultimate had 3 new (Microsoft, SNK and Disney). I wouldn't say this is a pattern that can't be broken, but I think having 2 or 3 new is fair considering that the more you add, the more licencing becomes hard. So I would say that the more likely to join would be Level-5, Koei Tecmo and either Falcolm or a indie rep (like Yacht club games, Brace yourself, Supergiant, Toby Fox, Team cherry to name a few).

That being said, tbh I could see having actually less new companies in the next game, because what we have right now have a huge library of characters to pull from. Esepcially Capcom, Sega and Microsoft it feels like we've barely scratch the surface of what can be add for them.
I'm surprised at how people are sleeping on Arc System Works. They not only have Guilty Gear, their own long-running fighting game series, but they also own iconic beat'em up series like River City and Double Dragon. It's strange how some people seem to overlook them.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Can't really complain too much here. I'd be really hyped to see Dixie, Zero, Sol, and Crono as newcomers and the others are fun too. You also kept my favorite character in Sephiroth so while it doesn't exactly match my ideal roster, I'd be very happy with it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I dunno exactly how big the next game will be, but I feel like it's might be a bit smaller than Ultimate's. I also feel like Kirby and Fire Emblem would be likely to get a new rep in the base game, and that next game might not be as heavy on third-party characters.

I'm also not sure if they'd go with Adol over someone from Trails, given the latter is basically Falcom's darling now while Ys does its own thing on the side. However, I personally want Adol so I'm just gonna roll with it and say you're spot-on with him.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

Ubisoft
20231020_151940.jpg

And probably Activision via Microsoft association

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Only four Fire Emblem characters? None of their echoes either?

This is reddit's wet dream :239:
Well as I said, I literally didn't have enough space for a couple more echoes I wanted to factor in. Maybe later on I might "stack" the Echoes somehow to address that, but right now it's something I don't want to really toil over.
I dunno exactly how big the next game will be, but I feel like it's might be a bit smaller than Ultimate's. I also feel like Kirby and Fire Emblem would be likely to get a new rep in the base game, and that next game might not be as heavy on third-party characters.

I'm also not sure if they'd go with Adol over someone from Trails, given the latter is basically Falcom's darling now while Ys does its own thing on the side. However, I personally want Adol so I'm just gonna roll with it and say you're spot-on with him.
Did some re-combing over this real quick; discounting Echoes, in terms of base game, only 62 veterans return from Ultimate, though obviously with the base game newcomers the fighter total is in the 70s. I did want to reel back in a little but obviously I didn't do it too much, so that's on me I guess.
The non-DLC newcomer placeholder spot could potentially go to a Kirby character, but I don't have full confidence we'll get one just yet. Generally what I envisioned for those placeholders is that the one for the base game could be any Nintendo character past or present, while the one for the DLC would be from a new IP or game installment on whatever Nintendo's next system is.
I tried to go with a similar philosphy as Smash 4 and Ultimate when it came to third-parties, where only 1 or 2 base game newcomers are guests (in this case Bomberman and Zero), and only when the DLC happens is there going to be a lot more third-party newcomers. I have good confidence that most of the third-parties would return in some way, though I have Sephiroth and Kazuya in particular reintroduced as DLC since I feel they'll likely be held off with the promise of them coming with more than last time (Sephiroth with content from FF7 Remake and Rebirth, Kazuya with content from Tekken 8).

Geno Boost

Smash Master

I think Ubisoft and Tetris are most likely options when it comes to non Japanese companies and the fact they are already represented in smash in some way and have strong relationships with Nintendo in general
However Warner bros is close also because mortal kombat dev are interested in having mortal kombat characters in smash which would be a big deal

Last edited:
Top Bottom