• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What noble goals? In wind waker he talks about the difference between gerudo desert and hyrule and then says that he “coveted that wind”. He’s talking about how he’s jealous of the kingdom and that’s what spurred him to try a conqueror it. He doesn’t say anything about making anything better for anyone else he just says he wants hyrule. In fact this can be seen in the games cause the one in wind waker is the same one from ocarina of time who left his people in the desert. He has no noble goals

What demise says is “an incarnation of my hate” key word there being incarnation which means flesh and blood. He’s not talking about how his hate will take control of someone he’s saying his hate will take on a life of its own. He is the hatred

the triforce of power stuck with him cause as shiek told us the piece that remains with him was the bit he most believed in. If he was being controlled by an outside force it wouldn’t have been power would it? He’s power mad
Wanting the Gerudo to live in a place that isn't harsh and constantly brings death is absolutely noble. He just lost the nobility part along the way(no thanks to Koume and Kotake, who didn't have noble goals in comparison. They're the only Gerudo to never show one hint of potential goodness in them, only having pure evil motives). Yes, he chosen power later over his original motivation. ...The problem is he was never going to not be evil due to the curse. Hyrule Historia confirms that he broke off from the curse too, so we know he's 100% a different person from Demise.

Still not seeing it at all in WW Ganondorf. It's a Motive Decay. But he still reflected on a noble purpose he once had. He just chose a different path from it(both being influenced by Koume and Kotake, and moreso by Demise's Curse). Again, he can't have even a thought of good intentions at any point if he was "pure hatred". Your premise doesn't work in canon. Even if he was a direct reincarnation, he clearly had the ability to think of good stuff, which means Demise's Reincarnation tainted him, but isn't a carbon copy. He was always forced to be evil(at least till he removed himself from that influence at the end of WW).

And yes, it's a curse overall. "As long as Zelda and Link exist, evil will exist". It's not a straight reincarnation at all. This is also due to the JP and US versions being interpreted oddly. Ganondorf also does not want the destruction of Hyrule, and thought the Goddesses destroying all of Hyrule to stop him was taking it too far. A pure case of having a standard(that pure destruction is horrific). Notably, while he doesn't admit it's part of his fault at all, he does contemplate his motives over the course of the game. So definitely not "pure hatred" like you claim. His entire characterization proves otherwise. Notably the JP version treats it more "as long as there's evil", but US version tries to have him reincarnate into new forms. It's an awkward one. It becomes more notable when it's he who wanted the Triforce first. The second that Ganondorf stops coveting it, at the end of WW when he dies, is hard noted in Hyrule Historia, canonically, that Ganondorf no longer covets it and is no longer tied to Demise's Curse. Overall, they admit he was influenced hard by it. The fact he is no longer cursed is pretty hard evidence he's not a pure reincarnation. It is possible the Ganon form may be the true reincarnaton, though, but that's only because it's a pure monstrous being and cannot exist without the Triforce(and it's confirmed Demise has a clear connection the Triforce in itself).

As noted, TP Ganondorf isn't pure hatred either. It's revenge. He does not desire to destroy every tiny thing, but get revenge on those who defeated him. In fact, it's only Calamity Ganon at best that ever shows the concept of pure hatred among any form of Ganon, and that's the second Ganon to have no mind attached to him. He shows little to no malice in WW, having the goal of restoring the original better world(which it's noted that King Daphnes even outright says that Ganondorf has a clear point that flooding the world was a bad move and didn't actually help the races so much as split them apart, put them in a very harsh world, forced the Zora out temporarily, and outright killed all the other innocent Gerudo. Ganondorf isn't entirely at fault for the Goddesses' actions. They chose to kill a world and rebuild it. What Daphnes does is completely remake the world again so it's no longer a giant sea world, but much cleaner, and allowed as much as possible to flourish. His wish is to start over, with no Triforce, no Goddesses, and to remember the past as well.

The thing about WW is that people forgot the world was in a much more healthy environment than scattered waters full of immense monsters back then. This is a bit fixed up in PH, and ST allows the world to evolve. The big thing that happened with the flood is the entire Gerudo race is completely extinct, and there's zero hints they could ever revive. It's a downer timeline intentionally, with Ganondorf clearly showing he had some noble intentions overall, regardless of the motive decay, that the world was unnecessarily killed despite his poor actions, that even the King of Hyrule thought the flooding was not the right answer, and that only one person finally freed himself from evil at best. It is at least somewhat nice that they were able to restart anew, the King's final wish, but it doesn't say that much when it requires a ton of tragedy to get there, from both villains and heroic entities overall. The villains we see in PH and ST are also fairly unique. And more as part of Demise's overall curse upon the land. Malladus even resembles Ganon, showing that the whole Ganon thing isn't entirely tied to Ganondorf as a whole so much as being a demon is part of the curse instead. I mean, are you suggesting Demise reincarnated into every possible evil being, not just Ganondorf? If so, fair enough. But the JP version still treats it like a curse, which actually makes more sense with how many new evil beings that exist(and there's more than one being to resemble Ganon that isn't even tied to Ganondorf. Hell, who knows what Lorule's version of Demise is. They have a Triforce but also have their own Ganondorf counterpart. It's a bit weird. It understandably wouldn't have any relation to the world of Termina, as that doesn't even have a known Triforce in itself, so it has no ties to the SS' respective lore).

This is why I actually like Ganondorf. He can have noble goals. He's just forced unto evil. He mildly dies as himself as WW, and while not redeeming himself, is no longer forced to be evil by the curse. He could be revived and do his own thing. It makes sense why it doesn't work in FSA. He was still tied to said Triforce piece, as the curse was never broken, so they couldn't raise him to be a good person. Destiny shot that in the face because Demise is a jerk.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wanting the Gerudo to live in a place that isn't harsh and constantly brings death is absolutely noble. He just lost the nobility part along the way(no thanks to Koume and Kotake, who didn't have noble goals in comparison. They're the only Gerudo to never show one hint of potential goodness in them, only having pure evil motives). Yes, he chosen power later over his original motivation. ...The problem is he was never going to not be evil due to the curse. Hyrule Historia confirms that he broke off from the curse too, so we know he's 100% a different person from Demise.

Still not seeing it at all in WW Ganondorf. It's a Motive Decay. But he still reflected on a noble purpose he once had. He just chose a different path from it(both being influenced by Koume and Kotake, and moreso by Demise's Curse). Again, he can't have even a thought of good intentions at any point if he was "pure hatred". Your premise doesn't work in canon. Even if he was a direct reincarnation, he clearly had the ability to think of good stuff, which means Demise's Reincarnation tainted him, but isn't a carbon copy. He was always forced to be evil(at least till he removed himself from that influence at the end of WW).

And yes, it's a curse overall. "As long as Zelda and Link exist, evil will exist". It's not a straight reincarnation at all. This is also due to the JP and US versions being interpreted oddly. Ganondorf also does not want the destruction of Hyrule, and thought the Goddesses destroying all of Hyrule to stop him was taking it too far. A pure case of having a standard(that pure destruction is horrific). Notably, while he doesn't admit it's part of his fault at all, he does contemplate his motives over the course of the game. So definitely not "pure hatred" like you claim. His entire characterization proves otherwise. Notably the JP version treats it more "as long as there's evil", but US version tries to have him reincarnate into new forms. It's an awkward one. It becomes more notable when it's he who wanted the Triforce first. The second that Ganondorf stops coveting it, at the end of WW when he dies, is hard noted in Hyrule Historia, canonically, that Ganondorf no longer covets it and is no longer tied to Demise's Curse. Overall, they admit he was influenced hard by it. The fact he is no longer cursed is pretty hard evidence he's not a pure reincarnation. It is possible the Ganon form may be the true reincarnaton, though, but that's only because it's a pure monstrous being and cannot exist without the Triforce(and it's confirmed Demise has a clear connection the Triforce in itself).

As noted, TP Ganondorf isn't pure hatred either. It's revenge. He does not desire to destroy every tiny thing, but get revenge on those who defeated him. In fact, it's only Calamity Ganon at best that ever shows the concept of pure hatred among any form of Ganon, and that's the second Ganon to have no mind attached to him. He shows little to no malice in WW, having the goal of restoring the original better world(which it's noted that King Daphnes even outright says that Ganondorf has a clear point that flooding the world was a bad move and didn't actually help the races so much as split them apart, put them in a very harsh world, forced the Zora out temporarily, and outright killed all the other innocent Gerudo. Ganondorf isn't entirely at fault for the Goddesses' actions. They chose to kill a world and rebuild it. What Daphnes does is completely remake the world again so it's no longer a giant sea world, but much cleaner, and allowed as much as possible to flourish. His wish is to start over, with no Triforce, no Goddesses, and to remember the past as well.

The thing about WW is that people forgot the world was in a much more healthy environment than scattered waters full of immense monsters back then. This is a bit fixed up in PH, and ST allows the world to evolve. The big thing that happened with the flood is the entire Gerudo race is completely extinct, and there's zero hints they could ever revive. It's a downer timeline intentionally, with Ganondorf clearly showing he had some noble intentions overall, regardless of the motive decay, that the world was unnecessarily killed despite his poor actions, that even the King of Hyrule thought the flooding was not the right answer, and that only one person finally freed himself from evil at best. It is at least somewhat nice that they were able to restart anew, the King's final wish, but it doesn't say that much when it requires a ton of tragedy to get there, from both villains and heroic entities overall. The villains we see in PH and ST are also fairly unique. And more as part of Demise's overall curse upon the land. Malladus even resembles Ganon, showing that the whole Ganon thing isn't entirely tied to Ganondorf as a whole so much as being a demon is part of the curse instead. I mean, are you suggesting Demise reincarnated into every possible evil being, not just Ganondorf? If so, fair enough. But the JP version still treats it like a curse, which actually makes more sense with how many new evil beings that exist(and there's more than one being to resemble Ganon that isn't even tied to Ganondorf. Hell, who knows what Lorule's version of Demise is. They have a Triforce but also have their own Ganondorf counterpart. It's a bit weird. It understandably wouldn't have any relation to the world of Termina, as that doesn't even have a known Triforce in itself, so it has no ties to the SS' respective lore).

This is why I actually like Ganondorf. He can have noble goals. He's just forced unto evil. He mildly dies as himself as WW, and while not redeeming himself, is no longer forced to be evil by the curse. He could be revived and do his own thing. It makes sense why it doesn't work in FSA. He was still tied to said Triforce piece, as the curse was never broken, so they couldn't raise him to be a good person. Destiny shot that in the face because Demise is a jerk.
you can't tell me my premise doesn't work with the canon when your isn't even based on it. at no pint in any of the games does he ever say he wanted to help his people. what he says is
" My country lay within a vast desert. When the sun rose into the sky, a burning wind punished my lands, searing the world. And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death. But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin. I coveted that wind, I suppose"
there's nothing in there about helping people. ganondorf doesn't have noble thoughts or ideas all he ever talks about is conquest, revenge and power. nothing he ever says in any game in any piece of media suggests there even the slightest piece of goodness in him. we know this by his own words and his own actions.
hyrule historia describes it as reincarnation not as a curse taking control of him.
what have the other villains got to do with this? they can't be part of the curse cause the curse is on hyrule link and zelda, meaning the evil returns to plague them. malldalus was there before tetra and link arrived and before the land became hyrule, can't be related. yuga, only in the sense that anyone is related to their alternate universe counterpart. the nightmares, they went after the wind fish. lady maude, not in hyrule. majora's mask, made to curse people. also termina is a figment of skull kid's imagination according to one of the later books. the only one who comes close is vaati whose obsession with power is quite similar to ganon's yet we can still rule him out as he exsists at the same time as another version of ganondorf who went after the mirror of darkness cause he wanted power. again. ganon isn't corrupted. he's just evil

you can still like the guy even if he has no goodness in him he's a fictional character it doesn't matter

edit: wait a second, have we had this debate before? Oh blimey we’ve gone in a giant circle

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah it's ... Well I guess so lol. It's "realistic" setting is definitely evocative of the more cinematic types of games that are in the genre. The gameplay is really smooth and easy to get used to.
i believe i watched a friend of mine play the opening to it and thought the way it was mimicking opening credits for a film to be quite odd

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice
Who do you guys think is the most undertalked pick for the next Smash Bros character ? In my case i think that it's between shin megami tensei protagonist and Bill rizer from contra

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Octoling
Spring Man
Shadow or Tails
Jack Frost
Magolor
Mach Rider

are few undertalked about picks from my head

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Who do you guys think is the most undertalked pick for the next Smash Bros character ? In my case i think that it's between shin megami tensei protagonist and Bill rizer from contra
Adol Christin from Ys.
Lolo and Lala from Eggerland.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Octoling
Spring Man
Shadow or Tails
Jack Frost
Magolor
Mach Rider

are few undertalked about picks from my head
I wouldn’t call Octolings under discussed. They are one of the most obvious picks out there. Splatoon is getting a second rep, and they are front and shoulders the front runner.
Here are a few imo that are underrated/under discussed.
  • Pauline
  • Ashley
  • Tom Nook
  • Officer Howard
  • Excitebiker
  • Alis Landale (Phantasy Star)
  • Adol (Ys)
  • Resident Evil (Chris, Leon, Jill, take your pick)
  • The Traveller (Genshin)
  • A league of legends character

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Who do you guys think is the most undertalked pick for the next Smash Bros character ?
You already know the franchise i want for Smash (look at my pfp for pete's sake).
But i don't necesarilly want Blanc, when there are better options to choose.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wouldn’t call Octolings under discussed. They are one of the most obvious picks out there. Splatoon is getting a second rep, and they are front and shoulders the front runner.

Here are a few imo that are underrated/under discussed.
  • Pauline
  • Ashley
  • Tom Nook
  • Officer Howard
  • Excitebiker
  • Alis Landale (Phantasy Star)
  • Adol (Ys)
  • Resident Evil (Chris, Leon, Jill, take your pick)
  • The Traveller (Genshin)
  • A league of legends character
As I’ve mentioned here before, I think the Octolings (or at least another Splatoon character) are the number one most likely newcomer for the next Smash. That series caught on so much I’d be shocked if it didn’t get another character.

I’d love to see Akira/Officer Howard as well. Astral Chain was a lot of fun and had a great soundtrack with unique combat. If I had my choice, I’d take Jena Anderson as well since she was such a cool antagonist.

I’ve only played two Ys games (6 and 8) and never completed either of them but Adol would be cool for Smash. I particularly like his CastleVania like design in 9. That’s another series with great music that would fit really well in Smash.

Hey, I try to do my part as far as League of Legends characters go. I don’t really have much interest in playing the main game but Arcane, Forgotten King, and Runeterra are all fun. I like pretty much every character design I’ve seen so I’d be happy with any of them.

I’ll add a few more under discussed characters:

• Anyone from RARE (Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Perfect Dark)
  • Anyone from Blizzard (WarCraft, StarCraft, Diablo)
  • A Tales of character (I’d love Velvet or Shionne)
  • Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
  • A Borderlands character
  • Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  • A Disgaea character (I’d go with Etna)
  • A Warriors character (Lu Bu)
  • Zero (Mega Man X)
  • Bill Rizer (Contra)
  • A Chrono character (likely Crono but I’d pick Magus)

Okay, so the ActiBlizz deal may not be as dead as we initially thought:

Still have to deal with the UK, but it's something at least.
I normally don’t cheer on big company acquisitions like this but Activision/Blizzard is in desperate need of new management. I love the world and characters of WarCraft, StarCraft, and Diablo and I’d be hyped to see any of them in Smash, especially if the company actually addresses its internal issues, which I’m hoping Microsoft will force them to.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I never got into Splatoon but I suppose they're due for another rep? I dunno about front runner but I guess if not Splatoon what else? What if Mario doesn't actually get anything new?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Lara Croft
Jonesy
Aether/Lumine from Genshin Impact
Blizzard characters like Tracer, Diablo
Agumon

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I never got into Splatoon but I suppose they're due for another rep? I dunno about front runner but I guess if not Splatoon what else? What if Mario doesn't actually get anything new?
I’ve never played Splatoon either. I’m not really into strictly competitive online games. These do seem to have fun story modes as well so I wouldn’t mind playing one at some point in the future. I’m just seeing that there’s already been three games in a relatively short time and they’re all selling really well with generally very positive reception. Add that to the fact that we only have one character at the moment, Octolings are an easy semiclone (like Isabelle) and the fact that Xenoblade followed the same pattern of getting a rep two games in a row despite the series selling notably less than Splatoon and it just makes sense. Nothing is ever guaranteed in Smash though so I don’t like to rule out any possibilities.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think Splatoon getting a second character is out and out one of the safest bets you can make for something in the next game. The only thing I would say is even safer is a new Pokemon. Even if they do a hard reboot (they won't), Splatoon is just too much of a huge success to be limited to Inkling. Splatoon 3 did crazy numbers. It's at least right now one of Nintendo's biggest franchises.

I do not even like Splatoon much, I never got into it. But Octolings are such a safe bet. At worst, you could make them an Inkling echo or semi clone. They have the same body shape and they can feasibly use all the Splatoon 1 weapons that Inkling uses. I think you can just as easily make them a distinct character. Splatoon 2 and 3 have tons of weapons that you could use to make Octolings feel very distinct from Inkling.

Some other safe bets imo are Officer Howard from Astral Chain, a Xenoblade 3 character (Noah and/or Mio), and Bandana Dee for first parties. I would say Pauline is a bit of a sleeper pick for the next Mario rep as well; I could see us getting both her and a second one such as Waluigi. For third parties, a few of the safer bets to me are Crash Bandicoot, Ryu Hayabusa, Lloyd Irving, and Shadow as an echo fighter.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Splatoon getting a second character is out and out one of the safest bets you can make for something in the next game. The only thing I would say is even safer is a new Pokemon. Even if they do a hard reboot (they won't), Splatoon is just too much of a huge success to be limited to Inkling. Splatoon 3 did crazy numbers. It's at least right now one of Nintendo's biggest franchises.

I do not even like Splatoon much, I never got into it. But Octolings are such a safe bet. At worst, you could make them an Inkling echo or semi clone. They have the same body shape and they can feasibly use all the Splatoon 1 weapons that Inkling uses. I think you can just as easily make them a distinct character. Splatoon 2 and 3 have tons of weapons that you could use to make Octolings feel very distinct from Inkling.

Some other safe bets imo are Officer Howard from Astral Chain, a Xenoblade 3 character (Noah and/or Mio), and Bandana Dee for first parties. I would say Pauline is a bit of a sleeper pick for the next Mario rep as well; I could see us getting both her and a second one such as Waluigi. For third parties, a few of the safer bets to me are Crash Bandicoot, Ryu Hayabusa, Lloyd Irving, and Shadow as an echo fighter.
As much as I’d love to see an Astral Chain character in Smash, I don’t know if I’d go as far as calling it a safe pick. I think the game was relatively niche so most Smash fans would probably be unfamiliar with it. It’s definitely possible that Officer Howard could make it but Astral Chain’s relative obscurity and Officer Howard’s complex gameplay might prove to be hurdles big enough to cause Sakurai to focus on other characters. Of course, if there are plans to make another game, that would help their chances. As is, I’m about 50/50 on their odds.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
As much as I’d love to see an Astral Chain character in Smash, I don’t know if I’d go as far as calling it a safe pick. I think the game was relatively niche so most Smash fans would probably be unfamiliar with it. It’s definitely possible that Officer Howard could make it but Astral Chain’s relative obscurity and Officer Howard’s complex gameplay might prove to be hurdles big enough to cause Sakurai to focus on other characters. Of course, if there are plans to make another game, that would help their chances. As is, I’m about 50/50 on their odds.
I mean, its a pretty safe bet that the next game is going to pull heavily from the Switch era unless its a hard reboot. Brawl pulled overwhelmingly from the GC/GBA era. Smash 4 pulled from the Wii/DS/3DS. Even Smash Ultimate's base roster, as constrained as the newcomers were, made sure to pull a few heavy hitters from the late 3DS/Wii U era. There is no way when they have access to such a successful wide library that they are not going to pull from the Switch's library. As such, I think anyone with a big success story on the Switch, such as Officer Howard, has a leg up already.

Nintendo also purchased the full rights to the Astral Chain IP, showing that they have faith in the IP going forward. The IP being successful on the switch also gave companies like Square the confidence to port some of their games over. I think the game was successful enough to at least be on the radar when it comes to Smash choices. The hurdle of incorporating the legions into combat might be a hurdle, but that also could just as easily be the spark that draws the development team to making the character.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Octoling. Which is funny because they're probably one of if not the most guaranteed picks possible (maybe that's why, it's like Alear, we all just kind of expect it at this point so why bother arguing).

Even if they're brought up its solely as an echo for the Inkling, despite many new weapon types and options being available to them.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Octoling is definitely talked about a lot in general. Though I could see the argument that they are undertalked as a potential unique rep, as some have dismissed them as definite clone fodder when it's not a guarantee that's how they'd be implemented.

And on Astral Chain real fast: even if you assume most of the newcomer slots are going to Switch-era reps, there's still bigger fish to fry there and it's easy to see it getting squeezed out. Remember we're talking Ice-Climber-level sales for a (so far at least) one-off franchise on a console among the deepest ever in multimil sellers.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Just now a while ago I thought of another character for the sequel to The Super Mario Bros. Movie and he is Wart. Although I still want Wario, Waluigi, Daisy and Rosalina.
I forgot to mention the Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings as well.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly Splatoon is so huge that I wouldn't be shocked it it have 2 newcomers in the next Smash. I mean, if Fire emblem and Kid icarus of all thing could have 2 newcomers in Smash 4, I think Splatoon could do it too. I could see something like Octoling as a clone or semi-clone and DJ Ocatvio or the Squid sisters as a more unique newcomers.

Well Mario had no newcomer in Brawl so there's some precedent to it. Personally for the Mario universe I think it could really go either way. Obviously Mario is always going to be a frontrunner for newcomers considering how huge the franchise is, but on the other hand, there wasn't really any new standout Mario characters in the Switch era in the same way that Rosalina and Bowser Jr. was in the Wii era, so I could see the next Smash having no Mario newcomers.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Undertalked? Overlooked? I got a few

• Toad (in a sense. hopefully that changes)
  • King Boo
  • Pauline
  • Mona
  • Magolor
  • Susie
  • Meowth
  • Tiki
  • Tom Nook (but you probably saw that coming from me...)
  • Lip
  • Tails
  • Bomberman (or maybe I'm not looking in the right places...)
  • Lara Croft
  • Professor Layton

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think a third Animal Crossing rep (mostly leaning towards Tom Nook) and Ashley have a decent chance of happening next game. AC sold a ridiculous amount of copies while WW resurged with a million seller entry after a decade long slump. If we're picking franchises that exceeded their respective expectations in the Switch era then I'd give it to these two.

Last edited:

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice
Undertalked? Overlooked? I got a few

• Toad (in a sense. hopefully that changes)
  • King Boo
  • Pauline
  • Mona
  • Magolor
  • Susie
  • Meowth
  • Tiki
  • Tom Nook (but you probably saw that coming from me...)
  • Lip
  • Tails
  • Bomberman (or maybe I'm not looking in the right places...)
  • Lara Croft
  • Professor Layton
I think that toad could be our next mario character in Smash Bros alongside paper mario or waluigi.

As I’ve mentioned here before, I think the Octolings (or at least another Splatoon character) are the number one most likely newcomer for the next Smash. That series caught on so much I’d be shocked if it didn’t get another character.

I’d love to see Akira/Officer Howard as well. Astral Chain was a lot of fun and had a great soundtrack with unique combat. If I had my choice, I’d take Jena Anderson as well since she was such a cool antagonist.

I’ve only played two Ys games (6 and 8) and never completed either of them but Adol would be cool for Smash. I particularly like his CastleVania like design in 9. That’s another series with great music that would fit really well in Smash.

Hey, I try to do my part as far as League of Legends characters go. I don’t really have much interest in playing the main game but Arcane, Forgotten King, and Runeterra are all fun. I like pretty much every character design I’ve seen so I’d be happy with any of them.

I’ll add a few more under discussed characters:

• Anyone from RARE (Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Perfect Dark)
  • Anyone from Blizzard (WarCraft, StarCraft, Diablo)
  • A Tales of character (I’d love Velvet or Shionne)
  • Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
  • A Borderlands character
  • Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  • A Disgaea character (I’d go with Etna)
  • A Warriors character (Lu Bu)
  • Zero (Mega Man X)
  • Bill Rizer (Contra)
  • A Chrono character (likely Crono but I’d pick Magus)

I normally don’t cheer on big company acquisitions like this but Activision/Blizzard is in desperate need of new management. I love the world and characters of WarCraft, StarCraft, and Diablo and I’d be hyped to see any of them in Smash, especially if the company actually addresses its internal issues, which I’m hoping Microsoft will force them to.
I think that, at least, lloyd irving is a very, very likely pick for the next Smash Bros

Last edited by a moderator:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Some people are saying Magolor.

IMO, anyone from Kirby who isn't Bandana Dee gets virtually no attention. I don't hear the likes of Gooey, Adeleine, Daroach, or even entirely new characters compete anymore. It's kind of a problem to me, because it's built on predetermined assumptions, usually of two extremes, that limit the immediate options. Which is not why I'm here at all.

Yes, I am aware that Kirby doesn't use much of its non-featured characters, but I cannot understand how that justifies the speculative restrictions. I must have mentioned this before, but I'll do it again: Mario often does the same thing with its cast, yet Toad is not the usual choice for a new Mario character despite having high prominence overall.

...although in particular, Magolor does indeed seem a tad overlooked. I will admit, he strikes me as much likelier than his fellow castings, potentially including Bandana Dee.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

IMO, anyone from Kirby who isn't Bandana Dee gets virtually no attention. I don't hear the likes of Gooey, Adeleine, Daroach, or even entirely new characters compete anymore. It's kind of a problem to me, because it's built on predetermined assumptions, usually of two extremes, that limit the immediate options. Which is not why I'm here at all.

Yes, I am aware that Kirby doesn't use much of its non-featured characters, but I cannot understand how that justifies the speculative restrictions. I must have mentioned this before, but I'll do it again: Mario often does the same thing with its cast, yet Toad is not the usual choice for a new Mario character despite having high prominence overall.

...although in particular, Magolor does indeed seem a tad overlooked. I will admit, he strikes me as much likelier than his fellow castings, potentially including Bandana Dee.
Yeah, I can definitely see Magolor as a possibility with his recent return to relevancy. I’ve always loved the idea of playable mooks in Smash like Piranha Plant. A lot of basic enemies have really fun designs that could make for fun Smash characters. Bugzzy would be my long shot dream pick if I got to choose another Kirby character. I’ve always really liked it’s design and it is really fun to play as in the Kirby games.

Last edited:

BirkBoy

Smash Rookie
So I guess we know what Ganondorf will look like in Smash 6, right?
I don't at all think this is a confirmation of anything Smash related. However Ganon's TotK design is one of my favorite designs his had in the entire Zelda franchise so I would absolutely love to see it in Smash 6.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't at all think this is a confirmation of anything Smash related. However Ganon's TotK design is one of my favorite designs his had in the entire Zelda franchise so I would absolutely love to see it in Smash 6.
I think mine is his Ultimate design followed by Hyrule Warriors but his TotK design is cool too. I’d love it if the Zelda characters got all of their different portrayals as alt outfits.

BirkBoy

Smash Rookie
For me:
  • Waluigi
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Dr. Eggman
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Estelle Bright
For me, I'd have to go with:
Paper Mario
Crash Bandicoot
Frisk (Undertale)
Bandana Waddle Dee
Knuckles The Echidna

I think mine is his Ultimate design followed by Hyrule Warriors but his TotK design is cool too. I’d love it if the Zelda characters got all of their different portrayals as alt outfits.
Agreed.

Do y'all think you'll be able to jump in da next Smash Bro Brothers
i sure hope so

King K. Rool in Ultimate was the first time a character truly felt like they clicked with me, I’m hoping I can continue to main him in any future games. It will be fun to look back on the early pages of this thread, and see what will come out of a new Smash game in several years from now.
I wonder what they'll actually name the next Smash, since they seem to be done with the "synonym for fight" thing they were doing in Melee and Brawl.
I like the idea of Super Smash Bros. Smackdown

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
  • Small Brain: Super Smash Bros. Unleashed
  • Galactic Brain: Super Smash Bros. Generations
  • Universal Brain: Super Smash Bros. Colors
  • Multiversal Brain: Super Smash Bros. (2006)
  • Omniversal Brain: Super Smash Bros. 3D Blast

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

Heck, I'm surprised there aren't any talks about Lololo and Lalala, or that it hasn't led to talks about Lolo and Lala from Eggerland.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Up until Return to Dreamland Deluxe, I would have been skeptical of Magalor, but the prominence he had in that and the general attempt to build upon the characteristics they gave him in Star Allies has me thinking he might have the best chance of a new Kirby character outside BWD. Doubly so if the vendor role they've set up for him in Clash Deluxe and the campaign in RtDL port makes him recurring.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I know this is a pretty tired discussion, but heck with it. If they were to do a Smash Ultimate Deluxe and they had 11 newcomers to reach 100 fighters, who would you guys pick? Keep in mind, I’m counting Fighters #1-#82 plus the seven Echo Fighters, totalling up to about 89 fighters. As for my 11 newcomers:
  • #83. Waluigi
  • #84. Raven Beak
  • #85. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • #86. Noah
  • #87. Mio
  • #88. Ring Fit Trainee
  • #89. Dr. Eggman
  • #90. 2B
  • #36ε. Dixie Kong
  • #40ε. Alph
  • #64ε. Octoling

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I know this is a pretty tired discussion, but heck with it. If they were to do a Smash Ultimate Deluxe and they had 11 newcomers to reach 100 fighters, who would you guys pick? Keep in mind, I’m counting Fighters #1-#82 plus the seven Echo Fighters, totalling up to about 89 fighters. As for my 11 newcomers:
  • #83. Waluigi
  • #84. Raven Beak
  • #86. Noah
  • #87. Mio
  • #88. Ring Fit Trainee
  • #89. Dr. Eggman
  • #90. 2B
  • #36ε. Dixie Kong
  • #40ε. Alph
  • #64ε. Octoling
Can't remember if I ever posted my Ultimate DX roster, but I'll partially cite from it anyways:
  • #83. Toadette
  • #84. Iron Valiant
  • #85. Conductor (Rhythm Heaven)
  • #86. Raven Beak
  • #87. Mio
  • #88. Diskun
  • #89. Zero
  • #90. Arle Nadja
  • #02ε. Funky Kong
  • #64ε. Octoling
  • #74ε. Rock Howard

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
  • #83. Waluigi
  • #84. Raven Beak
  • #86. Noah
  • #87. Mio
  • #88. Ring Fit Trainee
  • #89. Dr. Eggman
  • #90. 2B
  • #36ε. Dixie Kong
  • #40ε. Alph
  • #64ε. Octoling
well probably