• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Lol I have no idea what kind of conversation we’re having here. It’s definitely a weird one.

Here’s a fun game, if you could add one character that specializes in each major element (for example, ice, fire, lightning, dark, light, wind, and water), who would you choose for each element (or just the ones you feel like naming). Here’s some of my favorites:

Ice: Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
Fire: Illidan Stormrage (WarCraft)
Lightning: Xemnas (Kingdom Hearts)
Dark: Magus (Chrono Trigger)
Light: Shionne (Tales of Arise)
Wind: Air Man (Mega Man)
Water: Mako (Brawlhala)

I’ll leave Pokémon off the list for now since they would be a bit too easy.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Lol I have no idea what kind of conversation we’re having here. It’s definitely a weird one.

Here’s a fun game, if you could add one character that specializes in each major element (for example, ice, fire, lightning, dark, light, wind, and water), who would you choose for each element (or just the ones you feel like naming). Here’s some of my favorites:

Fire: Diablo (Diablo)

Ice: Ganyu (Genshin Impact)
Fire: Amber (Genshin Impact)
Lightning: Raiden (Mortal Kombat)
Dark: Darkrai (Pokémon)
Light: Kefka (Final Fantasy)
Wind: Jet-Vac (Skylanders)
Water: Mipha (The Legend of Zelda)

I want to add two more:
Earth: Daruk (The Legend of Zelda)
Plant: Crazy Dave (Plants vs. Zombies)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Except Game Freak doesn't count those games as mainline. They do count Let's Go. Because they made Let's Go. They didn't make the Orre titles or Go. The only non-GameFreak game they consider mainline is BDSP, which was ILCA.

At this point you really just need to admit you were wrong for once. Catch some Pokémon instead of constantly catching L's.
I'm actually going to fight game freak on this one, there's no reason the Orre games shouldn't be counted as mainline. Every factor that made it an outlier has now been adopted by unquestionably mainline games. Main series games release on home consoles now, BDSP was made out of house, and Legends Arceus changes the gameplay to an even greater extent than the Orre games did.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Gengar, by what criteria are you classing them as the main elements? Cause it feels a bit random
As long as the character has an iconic attack of that element, I’ll count them. Ideally, they’d specialize only in that element but it’s hard to come up with many characters that only specialize in one particular element.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As long as the character has an iconic attack of that element, I’ll count them. Ideally, they’d specialize only in that element but it’s hard to come up with many characters that only specialize in one particular element.
no i meant why those specific ones, i'm perfectly happy to play the game i just wanted to know what lead to this selection

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm actually going to fight game freak on this one, there's no reason the Orre games shouldn't be counted as mainline. Every factor that made it an outlier has now been adopted by unquestionably mainline games. Main series games release on home consoles now, BDSP was made out of house, and Legends Arceus changes the gameplay to an even greater extent than the Orre games did.
The Orre duology is mainline in my heart. : (

Gengar84

Smash Hero
no i meant why those specific ones, i'm perfectly happy to play the game i just wanted to know what lead to this selection
Oh okay then.

Sub-Zero is obvious for his ice element so I don't need to explain that one.
Illidan has a ton of fire based attacks in his boss fight in World of Warcraft (most of his attacks are flame related)
One of Xemnas' most iconic attacks are his huge black and white lightning bolts
Magus is a Dark Element character in Chrono Trigger despite learning every element
Shionne is a healer and has light based attacks as well as shadow based attacks
Air Man is obvious for wind, being the only special he really does
Mako is a shark and has a lot of water based attacks in Brawlhala

There are probably a lot of characters more fitting to those particular elements that would be great to include but those are the ones I came up with from the top of my head. If you can think of characters that fit better that you also want a lot, feel free to share.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I myself also consider the Orre titles as main series games. There really isn't anything anymore that separates these two from the actual main series.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I myself also consider the Orre titles as main series games. There really isn't anything anymore that separates these two from the actual main series.
The biggest thing is that there aren’t really any brand new Pokémon in the Orre games. All other mainline Pokémon games in a new region have a ton of brand new Pokémon.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The biggest thing is that there aren’t really any brand new Pokémon in the Orre games. All other mainline Pokémon games in a new region have a ton of brand new Pokémon.
Although that's justified due to Orre's geography. Orre is essentially a barren desert with hardly any areas where Pokémon are even found. Just about every barrier to Colosseum and XD's placement in the main series have been broken. We've had main series games in 3D. We have had main series games on home consoles. And now, the last barrier was broken with BDSP, that being them not being developed by Game Freak.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh okay then.

Sub-Zero is obvious for his ice element so I don't need to explain that one.
Illidan has a ton of fire based attacks in his boss fight in World of Warcraft (most of his attacks are flame related)
One of Xemnas' most iconic attacks are his huge black and white lightning bolts
Magus is a Dark Element character in Chrono Trigger despite learning every element
Shionne is a healer and has light based attacks as well as shadow based attacks
Air Man is obvious for wind, being the only special he really does
Mako is a shark and has a lot of water based attacks in Brawlhala

There are probably a lot of characters more fitting to those particular elements that would be great to include but those are the ones I came up with from the top of my head. If you can think of characters that fit better that you also want a lot, feel free to share.
no not the characters the elements. Am I explaining it wrong?

Also xemnas element is nothing the bolts you describe are nothingness

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Dunno about Gengar84 Gengar84 but I typically use the alchemical list of fire earth water and air then branch from there into other lists.
Well you could make up any list of elements and select characters based on those, the Pokémon types, organisation xiiis elements etc. just wanted to know if something like that was happening here

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice

Ice: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Fire: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Lightning: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Dark: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Light: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Wind: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Water: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)

CureParfait

Smash Ace

Ice: Londrekia (Under Night In Birth)
Fire: Hu Tao(Genshin Impact)
Lightning: Raiden Shogun (Genshin Impact)
Dark: Darkrai (Pokemon)
Light: Luminous (MapleStory)
Wind: Wind Archer (MapleStory)
Water: Mona Megistus (Genshin Impact)

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Sure but it's hardly overly prohibitive. Unless the system mandates some crazy revamp by virtue of its design, if most of the game is already there, it's within the realm of an upscaled port that you then finish up on the next system. For a company who has spent the gen making deluxe versions of previous games, it's not that foreign. And I don't think what's next will deviate much from the Switch's more or less standard control scheme.

And sure that comes with additional costs and dev time, but it's not that uncommon. I mean Pikmin 4 has been in some stage of development for like ten years, considering it was originally "nearing completion" in 2015. Changing a game that many times, whether across systems or conceptually, will come with a number of costs as well. And that was for Pikmin. If MP4 does end up on the next thing, it will have had quite the ride.
In the Wii-U-to-Switch transition porting has been easier because going to the hybrid model prevented a more normal leap in performance firepower. Ports and deluxe editions will still happen of course, but might not be quite as economical this time around. As for the control scheme, I also expect the new one to be similar to the Switch's, but of course Nintendo has a penchant for innovation in that department, so I wouldn't rule out something more different than expected.

Also delays and reworks related to potential quality issues are a completely different cost/payoff dynamic. It's not that comparable to delaying/reworking a game simply for the purposes of making it fit better with the strategic planning.

Tennis and Golf aren't necessarily killer apps (there have been consoles without one or both before), and timing-wise it still seems feasible they'd be able to fit all three on the next system if the first arrives in its first year.

There are also other options for Mario sports, such as Strikers, Sluggers, and heading back to the Olympics with that blue fella
True, true. I would hope that one of those could be the thing that gives GS its opportunity.

There was also DLC for the Golf game.
Right, so yeah the timeline for the next Camelot game ought to be roughly in line with the gap between Tennis and Golf (assuming no other extenuating circumstances), and bringing up the DLC for Aces was a moot point (sorry for not thinking that one through).

Tbh I would be surprised if we got the next Camelot game this year. It's possible we find out what it is, though.
That's my thinking as well. Could be in play for like a September Direct.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Alright then let’s do it

Fire: Agumon
Water: Dewott
Air: Tails
Ice: Alolan Sandslash
Lightning: Chibi-Robo
Light: Euden (Dragalia lost)
Dark: Riku. Yes I know he doesn’t belong in the dark anymore but still

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ice: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Fire: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Lightning: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Dark: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Light: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Wind: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
Water: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne)
This guy gets it.

No bias, of course.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Even assuming they have two teams, I highly doubt NGL is already on another Strikers game. My guess is that they're probably already on Luigi's mansion 4 considering how big the third game was (12 million sales), and it could maybe be a first year title for the next gen Nintendo console. If they do have a second project, my guess is that it would be either a Punch-out game, or simply a new IP. I don't see the point of doing another Strikers this early to be honest.
If they only have one team, I agree with you. If they're up to two, the reason would be because it's a new system. The original Strikers and Strikers Charged came out back-to-back, less than two years apart, because one was for the Gamecube and the other the Wii.

Camelot also did Tennis to Tennis before going back to Golf, because it was across systems.

I also doubt we get a new Punch-Out so long as that cast remains what it is and the internet remains what it currently is. I don't think Nintendo wants the headache.

If a new Mario sluggers do actually exist, I actually think it could release on Switch. It would probably be developped by Bandai Namco like past titles in the franchise, and I could see it being announced this summer and released early this fall, as one of the last "big" Switch exclusives. I don't think Sluggers is the type of game that really need to be held off for next gen.
By this logic the next Camelot game kind of has to be Golden Sun, because why would Sluggers not be the kind of game made for next gen but something like Tennis or Golf would? And any logic that assumes we'd get GS is questionable, because it's GS.

Though, I agree Sluggers doesn't have to be for the next thing if it exists, but it's not so much "holding games off" for next gen rather than us being at the point where games are now just being developed for that system from the get-go. So whether Sluggers or something else, it just depends on when game development started, and what their intention was. Development of some of those games has to start before the system is actually out.

Also, my point was in response to SPEN18's suggestion that Mario Sports could be a priority for Nintendo (therefore Tennis/Golf over GS), and my response was that Mario Sports doesn't just have to be Tennis or Golf. Under the hypothetical that some Mario Sport is a priority for Nintendo, that would be the motivation to get Sluggers on the next thing rather than the current thing. Or having NLG return to Strikers. I'm not saying Mario Sports will be a priority (in fact I said it doesn't usually seem to be for the first year), I was just going with that possible scenario.

I think Nintendo could have a strong first year for their next console. Looking at their studios, here's what team I could easily see having a game ready for launch:
-EPD 4: This is the team that make smaller scale family game. They released a game almost every year on Switch (2017 was 1-2 switch, 2018 was Nintendo labo, 2019 was Ring fit, 2021 was Game builder garage and 2022 Switch sports). With how fast they release game, they could have a party game ready for the next console, or maybe a Ring fit sequel considering how huge Ring fit was.
-EPD 8: This is the 3d Mario team. Their last game is Bowser's fury, and their last big title is actually Odyssey. Rumors is that they're working on a 3d DK game, which I can see launching with their next console.
-EPD 9: This is the Mario kart team, and they also made Arms. They made nothing since Arms and they're just working on the MK8DX DLC, so I could easily see them having a MK9 at launch.
-NDCube: They usually have a very fast release schedule and Mario party game are actually a fairly big deal, I could see them having another party games ready for the next console already.
-Intelligent systems: Like NDCube, they have a very fast release schedule. Rumors is that they're working on some FE remake, and this could maybe be moved for the next console.
-Retro studios: They're still on Metroid prime 4, but at this point I could see it being a cross gen title.
-Platinum games: Not a Nintendo studios, but they work often with Nintendo and we know that they had some idea for Astral chain 2, so maybe it could happen for the next console.
-Koei tecmo: Again, not a Nintendo studios, but they often work together on Warriors game, and those games have very fast release schedule too, so maybe they could have a Mario warriors or something ready for the next console similar to Fire emblem warriors who released on the Switch first year.

There's others studios but I'm not going to mention them because I doubt they would have a game ready if they very recently released a big game (such as Monolith with Xeno 3, EPD 3 with TOTK and EPD 10 with Pikmin 4). But I still have 8 potential games that I could think of (a party game by EPD 4, a 3d DK, Mario kart 9, a Mario party, Fire emblem, Prime 4 as cross gen, Astral chain 2 and a new Nintendo warriors). Of course I'm just speculating and I could be totally wrong, but even assuming only 5 of my prediction acually happen and they have only, say 3d DK, Mario kart 9, Prime 4 as a cross gen title, an EPD 4 party game and a Fire emblem remake, I think it would be a solid line up for a first year. I mean, Mario kart 9 alone would be huge enough imo to sell the console like hot cakes.
Yeah, for the most part I agree these titles could show up early in the game's lifespan, and I even mentioned most of them in a previous post.

I think DK and MP4 have both been moved to the next thing, though it's feasible Metroid cross-releases. FE could've moved as well, I think it's been in development for a long time at this point. But it is presumably a remake, which are more often system twilight fodder than original titles. Look at Echoes. Also FE is frequent enough that if this one isn't for the next system, within a few years one will be on there regardless. So that one could go either way.

I do think we'll get a follow-up to Ring Fit, because of how crazy successful it was, though it being in the first year I'm skeptical about, just because that team usually makes the tech-demo-esque supercasual launch title, don't they?

And I'm not expecting a Pokémon main series entry on the next system in its first two years. Pokémon has always been the last major Nintendo franchise to get a mainline game on the newest console and GF has a reputation for continuing to support older hardware.
First year fair enough. I don't think GF is going to spend a second year on Switch after the next thing is already out. Two years into the next system is probably when Gen X is set to arrive, and putting that on the Switch seems counterproductive.

Yeah, that seems logical. I’m kind of hoping that Smash releases at a time where Gen 9 is kind of old news but Gen 10 hasn’t been revealed yet. I feel like that’s the best chance an older Pokémon like Gengar has. It has the advantage of being promoted in every generation and usually gets represented in whatever current gimmick is of each Gen like a Mega and a Gigantimax. There are plenty of cool Gen 9 Pokémon too so it’s not the end of the world if we don’t get Gengar.
That's going to be next year, assuming the 3-year Gens hold.

Sadly it's not going to give an older Pokemon much of a shot, it's just going to mean the promo Pokemon isn't even that current anymore. Look at Incineroar being in Ultimate the year before the next gen came out, when they had already moved from Alola back to the Kanto remakes.

I guess the upside is is that it seems pretty unlikely we get Smash next year, as that wouldn't really be congruent with the dev team having disbanded after Sora. So when the new Smash does happen... it's possible they take from Gen X instead of someone who is very old news. Though, again, sadly, that will likely preclude any old Pokemon, from any old gen. The Pokemon-Smash cycle is a bummer.

Those were quick cash grabs to promote a mobile game and lack the traditional Pokémon gameplay.
FFXI and XIV are MMORPGs, but it's kind of difficult to argue that a numbered Final Fantasy game isn't mainline.

These are Gen 1 remakes made by GF. They're mainline titles, even with some Go mechanics. But even if they weren't, Sword and Shield still predate New Horizons. And Dread.

The problem with saying it's the last major franchise to get a title is that Nintendo is Nintendo so some major series just have bad attendance (like Metroid, if it counts as major, or Star Fox, when it did) and can skip entire consoles. E.g. potentially Donkey Kong.

I feel like you guys are being a bit too harsh on someone just for using a term incorrectly. I’m pretty sure by mainline, they meant the first game in a generation. Anyways, it’s all just semantics and it seems kind of silly to tell someone to “take an L” just for having a different view on what makes a game mainline to them.
Well, it's not just semantics if he wants to then predicate when GF will start supporting the next console on those terms, which is how this started.

It seems to me that GameFreak classifies mainline as all new games of a generation as well as any updated versions (like Emerald) and remakes (like Fire Red). Let’s Go would fall into that second category. I do think it’s reasonable for a casual fan to just go by the base intro game (like Red or Blue) as their definition of mainline, even if it isn’t entirely accurate according to GameFreak since that’s how the term is used in most other long running series like Final Fantasy, Dynasty Warriors, Dragon Quest, or Disgaea. I’m curious if Square-Enix or their fans consider FFVII Remake a mainline Final Fantasy game as that seems to be a good analogy to Let’s Go.
If it's a remake or an updated version of a mainline title, presumably it's a mainline title. Just not an original mainline title. Like, FF7R is mainline because FF7 is mainline. But it's not new, it's not FF16, it's a remake.

To that end I think something like FE is weird for giving remakes their own (informal) numbers, since while they're distinct releases, they're not distinct games. In theory something like FE11 should be Awakening, as FE11 and 12 are just FE1 and 3 again, but... that's not how they do it there.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
if you could add one character that specializes in each major element (for example, ice, fire, lightning, dark, light, wind, and water), who would you choose for each element (or just the ones you feel like naming).
Ice: Sub-Zero [Mortal Kombat]
Fire: Firebrand [Gargoyle’s Quest]
Lightning: Crono [Chrono Trigger]
Dark: Artorias [Dark Souls]
Wind: Haohmaru [Samurai Shodown]
Water: Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
Earth: Isaac [Golden Sun]

Gengar, by what criteria are you classing them as the main elements? Cause it feels a bit random
Well, for games that have elemental attacks, those are the elements that show up in, like, 90% of those games.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Finally someone agrees with me lol

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What graphical style would you guys like to see in the next Smash? I think Ultimate’s style looks great but I think it could be a lot of fun to see Smash in a cel shaded style similar to Guilty Gear and Dragon Ball Fighter Z. That style just looks so awesome, especially for 2D fighting games. I think it would be a lot of fun to see what various characters look like with that style. Some mods in Ultimate have given characters a similar look such as Sonic, Pikachu, Mega Man, Toon Link, Kirby, Yoshi, and newer characters like Zeraora and they all look great.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What graphical style would you guys like to see in the next Smash? I think Ultimate’s style looks great but I think it could be a lot of fun to see Smash in a cel shaded style similar to Guilty Gear and Dragon Ball Fighter Z. That style just looks so awesome, especially for 2D fighting games.
But then what makes Young Link look different from Toon Link? :troll:

Joking aside, that could be interesting. A nice take on its roots. The cutscenes could also be more realistic to make it funnier, for whatever story mode is done. And of course, the trailers as usual don't stick to one artstyle(which makes them best, imo).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
But then what makes Young Link look different from Toon Link? :troll:

Joking aside, that could be interesting. A nice take on its roots. The cutscenes could also be more realistic to make it funnier, for whatever story mode is done. And of course, the trailers as usual don't stick to one artstyle(which makes them best, imo).
Lol. The funny thing is Toon Link isn’t even cel shaded right now so he’s already not much different than Young Link by that metric. I feel like they should have at least given Toon Link the cel shader in Ultimate. The mod makes him look a lot closer to the HD Wind Waker games. I’d say it’s because they wanted everything to fit in a uniform style but then we have characters like Steve and Mr. Game and Watch that do their own thing.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Lol. The funny thing is Toon Link isn’t even cel shaded right now so he’s already not much different than Young Link by that metric. I feel like they should have at least given Toon Link the cel shader in Ultimate. The mod makes him look a lot closer to the HD Wind Waker games. I’d say it’s because they wanted everything to fit in a uniform style but then we have characters like Steve and Mr. Game and Watch that do their own thing.
It makes sense too. The factor is he's intentionally cartoony, based upon the design(which I think Wind Waker did first?), but overall encompasses multiple games. Though for Smash's purposes, it was only "3D" games at the time. So WW, PH, and ST are all Toon Link's games. But it's pretty much the same design from FSA(somewhat also in FS) and MC. Sadly Toon Link doesn't see much use. Though at least Toon Zelda is an official crossover name in the same way, thanks to HW. First technically used for what would've been a Smash appearance if Brawl went better(and by proxy, who knows what they would've done with Toon Sheik if that wasn't later on changed to Tetra. It's a matter of which was easier, a new moveset or a new model. Both are not remotely easy).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It makes sense too. The factor is he's intentionally cartoony, based upon the design(which I think Wind Waker did first?), but overall encompasses multiple games. Though for Smash's purposes, it was only "3D" games at the time. So WW, PH, and ST are all Toon Link's games. But it's pretty much the same design from FSA(somewhat also in FS) and MC. Sadly Toon Link doesn't see much use. Though at least Toon Zelda is an official crossover name in the same way, thanks to HW. First technically used for what would've been a Smash appearance if Brawl went better(and by proxy, who knows what they would've done with Toon Sheik if that wasn't later on changed to Tetra. It's a matter of which was easier, a new moveset or a new model. Both are not remotely easy).
I used to strongly dislike Toon Link’s design but he’s grown on me a bit. My favorite Link design will probably always be adult Link from Ocarina of Time. I think my least favorite of his designs right now is Skyward Sword. His face just looks so derpy in that game. Toon Link works for what they were going for at least.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Oh this is neat.

Ice: Sub-Zero...probably the only one here who isn't a weirdish pick, mostly because there aren't a ton of ice users lol
Fire: A lot of Edelgard's attacks have fire flourishes, especially in spinoffs, so I'll slot her in here
Lightning: Cole MacGrath could be cool
Dark: Chandelure, as its Ghost moves would likely translate to the Darkness element in Smash
Light: Angemon
Wind: Merric
Water: Eddy from Fluidity

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Oh this is neat.

Ice: Sub-Zero...probably the only one here who isn't a weirdish pick, mostly because there aren't a ton of ice users lol
Fire: A lot of Edelgard's attacks have fire flourishes, especially in spinoffs, so I'll slot her in here
Lightning: Cole MacGrath could be cool
Dark: Chandelure, as its Ghost moves would likely translate to the Darkness element in Smash
Light: Angemon
Wind: Merric
Water: Eddy from Fluidity
The other ice user that could make sense for Smash is the Lich King/Arthas from WarCraft. Other ice users like Sneasel and Glacius are awesome but they have too much competition to have a realistic chance.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I used to strongly dislike Toon Link’s design but he’s grown on me a bit. My favorite Link design will probably always be adult Link from Ocarina of Time. I think my least favorite of his designs right now is Skyward Sword. His face just looks so derpy in that game. Toon Link works for what they were going for at least.
SS is a "toon-like" Link too, heh. But yeah, I felt it looked better with the younger designs overall. That, and trying to re-emulate the concept of a toon Link just doesn't seem to work well outside of the WW-style. Like, it's not that they're outright bad for any design, but it never flowed that well?

BOTW feels a bit like it has both realism and toonish, though does flow better. Not sure why, though.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
SS is a "toon-like" Link too, heh. But yeah, I felt it looked better with the younger designs overall. That, and trying to re-emulate the concept of a toon Link just doesn't seem to work well outside of the WW-style. Like, it's not that they're outright bad for any design, but it never flowed that well?

BOTW feels a bit like it has both realism and toonish, though does flow better. Not sure why, though.
I feel like OoT adult Link’s design would look great with a Guilty Gear style shader. He’s already kind of anime looking and has a relatively simple design with bright colors that could translate well.

Other characters like Mario, Cloud, and Sephiroth could also work really well if they based their designs on their early official artwork. Namely, Yoichi Kotabe’s art from early Mario titles and Tetsuya Nomura’s design for the initial full body character portraits from the original Final Fantasy VII. Pokémon would look really cool with cel shaded designs based on the official Ken Sugimori art from the games. I particularly love his style from the first two generations. Hero would also look great based on what Toriyama’s characters look like in Fighter Z.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel like OoT adult Link’s design would look great with a Guilty Gear style shader. He’s already kind of anime looking and has a relatively simple design with bright colors that could translate well.

Other characters like Mario, Cloud, and Sephiroth could also work really well if they based their designs on their early official artwork. Namely, Yoichi Kotabe’s art from early Mario titles and Tetsuya Nomura’s design for the initial full body character portraits from the original Final Fantasy VII. Pokémon would look really cool with cel shaded designs based on the official Ken Sugimori art from the games. I particularly love his style from the first two generations. Hero would also look great based on what Toriyama’s characters look like in Fighter Z.
Now I want to see Eleven cosplay as Trunks. ...Wait, that's kind of redundant, isn't it? :p

But yeah, there's a lot of neat styles to go with. Though hopefully our alts will be a bit more variable. I also wouldn't mind if they gave more than 8 for some characters. As long as all have 8 for 8-Player Smash, the rest wouldn't matter. Seriously, the lack of Fire Mario is dumb.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Now I want to see Eleven cosplay as Trunks. ...Wait, that's kind of redundant, isn't it? :p

But yeah, there's a lot of neat styles to go with. Though hopefully our alts will be a bit more variable. I also wouldn't mind if they gave more than 8 for some characters. As long as all have 8 for 8-Player Smash, the rest wouldn't matter. Seriously, the lack of Fire Mario is dumb.
Yeah some characters have so many great options for alts that it’s a shame to limit it to just 8. A lot of them are still just palate swaps when they don’t need to be. Samus getting her actual suits rather than simply just referencing their colors is one example. I’d also love to see various characters get their designs from various games in their series as alts. For example, we could get ALTTP, OoT, TP, SS, and BotW outfits for Link. That’s one great thing about Smash modding. They just figured out a while ago how to give each character up to 250 outfit slots and even create entirely new character slots.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah some characters have so many great options for alts that it’s a shame to limit it to just 8. A lot of them are still just palate swaps when they don’t need to be. Samus getting her actual suits rather than simply just referencing their colors is one example. I’d also love to see various characters get their designs from various games in their series as alts. For example, we could get ALTTP, OoT, TP, SS, and BotW outfits for Link. That’s one great thing about Smash modding. They just figured out a while ago how to give each character up to 250 outfit slots and even create entirely new character slots.
The fact that they got rid of some of Wario and Little Mac's alts to get them down to eight alts like everyone else makes this even worse.

KingofFools

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3456-3835-9202
The fact that they got rid of some of Wario and Little Mac's alts to get them down to eight alts like everyone else makes this even worse.
I wonder if Bayonetta will get alts of clothing from her 3rd entry.

I really hate that game though, so I don't know how I'd feel if it actually happened.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Besides Mario, FE and Pokemon which franchises are most likely to get a new character?
I feel like Splatoon is almost a sure thing with how much the series has caught on. I can also see a new Donkey Kong character thanks to DK’s big role in the Mario movie and rumored new game. Xenoblade seems relatively likely as well since XBC3 is the best selling game in the franchise and I imagine Nintendo would want to keep that momentum going.

For third parties, I feel like Sonic and Mega Man are the most likely. Sonic had two very successful movies and a generally well received new game in Frontiers. Zero from Mega Man X has been both an Assist Trophy and Mii outfit and has been highly requested so I can see that as well.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Besides Mario, FE and Pokemon which franchises are most likely to get a new character?
I think if I had to bet on anything besides those three, I would bet on Kirby, Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon for unique characters. As much as I would personally love Zelda or Wario to get another unique character I am not super confident in it.

Top Bottom