• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Isn’t one of our retro characters, duck hunt duo, from the second best selling game on switch?
On Switch? You mean NES?

darhenderx was saying that these games were unpopular as they never got a sequel but I had an example of one such game that certainly was popular
Was it though? How do you know? Sales? It was a pack-in game that came with the system.

If it was so popular, why did it never get a sequel?

Duck Hunt was the game associated with the Zapper, so it make sense that Duck Hunt didn't get a sequel once the Zapper became obsolete
And it wouldn't made sense to make a sequel for...oh, I dunno...the system built around a wand you aim at the screen? That Nintendo even made a gun attachment for?

There are tons of retro characters I’d love to see but almost none of them are first party.
This. There are plenty of iconc NES/SNES characters left, but none of them are from Nintendo.

I only realized recently that there's a reason that Darth views retro reps differently than the rest of us. For most of us, the NES is entirely a product of the history. All games from back then have the same value, essentially zero. Darth actually lived through it, the NES actually registers as a part of gaming to him. Suggesting Balloon Fighter as a NES rep is like saying we need Sushi Striker as a Switch Rep. I don't really know what to make of this disparity, but it was a realization that kinda hit me like a brick.
I'M OLD!

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I wouldn't completely rule out getting another Melee-style NES retro slot someday, but yeah it's been a "surprise" pick in the more recent games that sometimes happens to get filled by a retro character. Anyway, I'd like the notion of "retro pick" to expand and be more of a thing for characters of all eras.
I would too, because what is retro constantly shifts. By some definitions Isaac would be retro now. That's not really how Smash sees it though. Which in itself is moot if the spot doesn't even exist anymore. And yeah, it might return if only on the basis of never saying never, but... there's no glaring reason to anticipate it.

Of course I'm aware that Excite has continued to get games...but there is a reason it is still perceived as "retro" by much of the fanbase. I don't think the later games would disqualify a heavily NES-based Excitebiker moveset from filling an NES retro quota, should there ever be one.
But then it's moving the goalposts of the definition to say these four modern games (by Smash standards) don't preclude it from being a retro just because the first had the biggest impact.

Should Takamaru get a new game, and that game bombs, it nevertheless removes him from the category that Mach Rider or Sukapon would sit in.

But, regardless, Excitebike honestly has more merit than people give it credit for and I wouldn't forget about it as a speculator.

Without the unlikely return of the NES retro spot, he's relegated pretty much just to surprise pick. But that's not a particularly limited pool if active and/or supporting characters like PP can qualify.

I could make an argument that Pac-Man is still considered a retro character to much of the general public, but he's clearly in as a third party rep which is a whole different ballgame anyway. Could probably say the same for Mega Man but again he's in for being basically the biggest 3rd party request after Sonic regardless of being retro or not.
In as far as how they get included, yeah, but not in as far as they're perceived. Maybe Pac-Man is seen as a retro character by the GP, but he's never really referred to as such in Smash circles. And he's not. The GP would also see everything up to the Wii as retro, though. The GP would probably still see Little Mac as retro. They might see Star Fox as retro. They may even see Donkey Kong as retro.

Though I think it's not complete coincidence that the base game third party newcomer choices have tended to be more "retro icon" types, since those picks appeal better to general audiences than most other 3rd parties we could possibly get.
I'm not sure that's true. Pac-Man got in because he was Namco's mascot, Snake got in because of Kojima, and the other base game third-parties got in due to being highly requested. The more common trend is fanbase popularity. The fanbase generally requests characters they grew up with, but most continued past being retro. Sonic and Mega Man did. Now it seems like MM is retro, but he certainly wasn't when he was actually being requested.

Even Pac-Man did, tbh. And it stands to reason that if you requested Pac-Man, there's a good chance you played something more recent than Pac-Land.

Meanwhile characters like Steve, Sora, Sephiroth, Hero (in Japan) appeal quite well to general audiences. As did Ryu and Cloud. As would characters who didn't get in, but if they did, probably would've been DLC, like Crash, Chief, Dante, Chun Li, more Sonic characters, etc.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Admittedly, I attributed the Kid Icarus Franchise's inclusion in Brawl as a sort of nod to North America's affinity for Captain N though the design is different I had always figured his "popularity" was due to the cartoon rather than the game (not a great game lol.)
Pit was seen as a classic retro character that fans wanted in Smash before he became a playable character in Brawl. It wasn't just because of Captain N. Fans remembered Kid Icarus (which was a successful game) and wanted Pit to be brought back just like the Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Weren’t the Zapper and ROB marketing tools to differentiate the NES as a toy and not just a video game console to survive after the video game crash in the early 1980s? Cool parts of history but not necessarily good products. I love their inclusion of peripherals/old Nintendo toys like the Super Scope.

What other amazing items could they make? The Wonder Hand? The Joycon Ring? The Wii Vitality Monitor that tracks your heart rate?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Even Sonic's inclusion wasn't due to the west for Brawl, and that's the region he's more popular in.

I don't think they even sampled western popularity for Brawl. The Brawl poll was Japan only. When Sakurai was asked about Ridley in a Brawl-era Nintendo Power interview, he seemed surprised at the suggestion. So to suggest Pit got in not just due to NA, when he was... popular, though certainly not at the top, but due in no small part to Captain N is pretty... US-centric and maybe letting your childhood cloud objectivity.

Back then there was less of a divide between Japanese and western popularity because so many big name first-parties that were popular in both still hadn't been included. So, unless the game didn't release outside Japan, just working off of their Japanese results would've still catered to both markets.

I'm skeptical western popularity got any character included in Brawl. I think the first inclusion primarily due to the west was Little Mac.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
But then it's moving the goalposts of the definition to say these four modern games (by Smash standards) don't preclude it from being a retro just because the first had the biggest impact.

Should Takamaru get a new game, and that game bombs, it nevertheless removes him from the category that Mach Rider or Sukapon would sit in.
Disagree with that. If it's moving goalposts, it's only because the goalposts are only loosely defined to begin with. There's no official criteria that designates a character as eligible for a hypothetical retro slot, as far as I'm aware (not like it couldn't change from game to game if there was, anyway). It's what makes the most sense in terms of categorizing characters, because pitting characters who would fill a similar niche on the roster more directly against each other can be useful in narrowing down choices; personally, I think it more optimal to not really deal with quotas/slots for "X type of character" so much, but Sakurai has used it before.

But that's not a particularly limited pool if active and/or supporting characters like PP can qualify.
"Surprise pick" is a rather wide category with a lot of competitors, yeah, but Excitebiker has the benefit of bringing in a new series with multimillion lifetime sales, which is one thing that could help it stand out. General recognizability is clearly not always the main point of emphasis for the surprise rep. It's too early to tell if a generic like PP is the new norm or an anomaly.

Maybe Pac-Man is seen as a retro character by the GP, but he's never really referred to as such in Smash circles. And he's not. The GP would also see everything up to the Wii as retro, though. The GP would probably still see Little Mac as retro. They might see Star Fox as retro. They may even see Donkey Kong as retro.
Ok, sure, the general public overall views lots of things as retro which wouldn't be considered as such for the purposes of Smash. Let me refine that to "audience more or less in tune to what's going on in the Nintendo world but still overwhelmingly casual." They might think of Pac-Man and, yeah, Little Mac as being retro (honestly I still think of Little Mac as a "retro" character even though I know his Wii game having sufficiently opportune timing helped him get over the hump). But not so much Star Fox or DK, although people are of course aware of the retro roots for those series. Pre-Wii era, yeah a lot of people would call that retro now and I think Smash should catch up to that shift in viewpoint.

--

I'm not sure that's true. Pac-Man got in because he was Namco's mascot, Snake got in because of Kojima, and the other base game third-parties got in due to being highly requested. The more common trend is fanbase popularity. The fanbase generally requests characters they grew up with, but most continued past being retro. Sonic and Mega Man did. Now it seems like MM is retro, but he certainly wasn't when he was actually being requested.

Even Pac-Man did, tbh. And it stands to reason that if you requested Pac-Man, there's a good chance you played something more recent than Pac-Land.

Meanwhile characters like Steve, Sora, Sephiroth, Hero (in Japan) appeal quite well to general audiences. As did Ryu and Cloud. As would characters who didn't get in, but if they did, probably would've been DLC, like Crash, Chief, Dante, Chun Li, more Sonic characters, etc.
Again, them being explicitly retro was never nominally or consciously a reason for the third parties getting in, but being a retro icon made the likes of Sonic and Pac-Man more likely to fit with what they're going for in third parties: mass public appeal. When you're only including a select few special guests and using them as back-of-the-box USPs, they need to have the best chance of catching a random person's attention. Yes, the overarching trend is popularity, but specifically general audience level of popularity. And how many characters are truly going to compete with retro icons like Pac-Man in that arena? So again, it's not directly why but not complete coincidence that it's happened to go that way since retro icons happen to have exactly the characteristics they're looking for in third parties.

It doesn't mean that a decidedly non-retro character like Steve couldn't also have mass public appeal and therefore get chosen. It's just that retro icons tend to be among those in a favorable position in terms of what they're looking for.

And Street Fighter is pretty retro. Also if we're talking about general audiences thinking of Star Fox and DK as retro...honestly FF7, Crash, more Sonic reps, and even DQ (so most of your examples) could be said to derive much of their current popularity from retro roots (just 90s instead of 80s in some cases). Just because they're still getting games and still popular now doesn't mean they don't draw much if not most of their general audience appeal from nostalgia.

Though I think I also specified base game newcomers, not the totally different ballgame that is DLC, and we have not yet mentioned Castlevania, which fits with the narrative of retro third parties having naturally favorable qualities...

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
...it was a lot because of Captain N.
But not the only reason. Captain N was brought up but Pit and Little Mac were also two of the most wanted NES retro characters fans wanted in Smash. I remember they were constantly brought up together because they were both seen as being in the same situation back then. Pit's appearance as a trophy in Melee kind of also help brought more attention to him too.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Disagree with that. If it's moving goalposts, it's only because the goalposts are only loosely defined to begin with. There's no official criteria that designates a character as eligible for a hypothetical retro slot, as far as I'm aware (not like it couldn't change from game to game if there was, anyway). It's what makes the most sense in terms of categorizing characters, because pitting characters who would fill a similar niche on the roster more directly against each other can be useful in narrowing down choices; personally, I think it more optimal to not really deal with quotas/slots for "X type of character" so much, but Sakurai has used it before.

"Surprise pick" is a rather wide category with a lot of competitors, yeah, but Excitebiker has the benefit of bringing in a new series with multimillion lifetime sales, which is one thing that could help it stand out. General recognizability is clearly not always the main point of emphasis for the surprise rep. It's too early to tell if a generic like PP is the new norm or an anomaly.

Ok, sure, the general public overall views lots of things as retro which wouldn't be considered as such for the purposes of Smash. Let me refine that to "audience more or less in tune to what's going on in the Nintendo world but still overwhelmingly casual." They might think of Pac-Man and, yeah, Little Mac as being retro (honestly I still think of Little Mac as a "retro" character even though I know his Wii game having sufficiently opportune timing helped him get over the hump). But not so much Star Fox or DK, although people are of course aware of the retro roots for those series. Pre-Wii era, yeah a lot of people would call that retro now and I think Smash should catch up to that shift in viewpoint.

--

Again, them being explicitly retro was never nominally or consciously a reason for the third parties getting in, but being a retro icon made the likes of Sonic and Pac-Man more likely to fit with what they're going for in third parties: mass public appeal. When you're only including a select few special guests and using them as back-of-the-box USPs, they need to have the best chance of catching a random person's attention. Yes, the overarching trend is popularity, but specifically general audience level of popularity. And how many characters are truly going to compete with retro icons like Pac-Man in that arena? So again, it's not directly why but not complete coincidence that it's happened to go that way since retro icons happen to have exactly the characteristics they're looking for in third parties.

It doesn't mean that a decidedly non-retro character like Steve couldn't also have mass public appeal and therefore get chosen. It's just that retro icons tend to be among those in a favorable position in terms of what they're looking for.

And, er, Street Fighter is pretty retro. Also if we're talking about general audiences thinking of Star Fox and DK as retro...honestly FF7, Crash, more Sonic reps, and even DQ (so most of your examples) could be said to derive much of their current popularity from retro roots (just 90s instead of 80s in some cases). Just because they're still getting games and still popular now doesn't mean they don't draw much if not most of their general audience appeal from nostalgia.

Though I think I also specified base game newcomers, not the totally different ballgame that is DLC, and we have not yet mentioned Castlevania, which fits with the narrative of retro third parties having naturally favorable qualities...
You're using retro interchangeably with longstanding if you're including series that simply began a while ago and still remain popular to this day like Sonic, Street Fighter, FF7, etc.

That's not retro. The specific games may be retro, but retro typically refers to something whose popularity is indicative of a past period. Sonic, Street Fighter, FF7, Crash, DQ, those series are all still very successful. The peak of their success being in the past doesn't mean they're retro if they're still very successful today. That just makes them longstanding in success. It means they could easily still be making countless new fans.

Is Pokemon retro? Gen 1 is still the best selling.

Banjo, Castlevania, Pac-Man, Terry. These are more fitting for retro. They still wouldn't qualify by how Smash defines it, but they are certainly weighed heavily in the past. Retro being the basis of base inclusion is indeed a coincidence. You have Pac-Man and Castlevania, but you also have Sonic and Metal Gear. Having a retro origin doesn't mean the series is retro as a whole. The original trilogy of Star Wars is retro. Star Wars as a whole isn't.

The commonality is popularity in some form. The older characters aren't chosen because they're old, they're chosen because they're popular. They're not popular because they're old, they're popular because they either maintained or at least had a lot of success. Popularity and success aren't gated to old characters. You could include Bill Rizer but more people are going to care about Master Chief. You could include Crono but more people will care about Sora. You could include Kunio but more people would care about Kiryu. You could include Arthur but more people would care about Dark Souls. You could include Prince of Persia but more people would care about Assassin's Creed. It's going to come down to the character.

It doesn't always tip towards the newer. Often, as proven, it doesn't. Most people would obviously prefer Banjo and Castlevania over Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained, I'm just saying being retro is a spurious correlation. There are plenty of "newer" characters who would have wide appeal in base. Being established longer can sometimes help snowball popularity, but there are a lot of newer characters people care more about than a lot of older characters.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
For fun, a list of retro fighters I think would've been fun to see in Ultimate/would be fun to see in HYPOTHETICAL NEXT SMASH GAME

TAKAMARU:
The classic go-to, retro star of Smash 4 speculation. Having played his game, there's a lot you can do with him.

MIKE JONES:
StarTropics is probably the best first party Nintendo game with absolutely nothing in Smash which is a shame IMO. Not being released in Japan is such a huge roadblock for him though

BALLOON FIGHTER:
Balloon Fighter would be fun, and would continue the blackbox representation like Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt. People will say VILLAGER UP B but they don't care if they wanted both they'd just do it lol

MUDDY MOLE:
My boy, who's still my number one pick. I think you could make a really interesting moveset with him.

PRO WRESTLING:
Because Incineroar's an asshole. Just kidding, I consider this the best of the blackbox NES games that's not named ''Super Mario Bros.'' and would love to see it get some love.

DONKEY KONG JR:
A bit of a weird pick, but he's synonymous with Nintendo's old days and could make use of their various arcade games.

A few others:
-Ayumi Tachibana (Don't consider her retro anymore after the remakes)
-Excitebike (This isn't the popular opinion but Excitebike isn't retro either, though it's been longer since the last game came out)
-Mach Rider
-Sable Prince
-Ice Hockey Team/Volleyball Girl
-Dion/Max/Jack
-Tin Star

Just a few options, there's a ton of possibilities
As someone who loves retro characters, and is just utterly fascinated by them, I'd take any and all of the folks from the list (and many, MANY more). Frankly, I'm a tad surprised you added the Ice Hockey trio and the Volleyball Girl (who I've noticed has been making a number of cameo appearances over the last few years).

Side note about Volleyball Girl, but I actually envisioned her using a moveset similar to that of Natsu Ayuhara from Capcom's Rival Schools series of games.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
You're using retro interchangeably with longstanding if you're including series that simply began a while ago and still remain popular to this day like Sonic, Street Fighter, FF7, etc.
Sonic, Street Fighter, and FF7 are easily era-specific icons (speaking in a general gaming sense, not in terms of Nintendo importance). Them having continued success or not has little to do with it. No matter what happened to them after it, Sonic is still a 90s platformer mascot icon, and Street Fighter is still remembered as a big-time arcade hit. Their attachment to those origins in the public eye is so overwhelming that they are worthy of the label "retro icon" (again in a general gaming sense) and are unlikely to ever shake it.

retro typically refers to something whose popularity is indicative of a past period. Sonic, Street Fighter, FF7, Crash, DQ, those series are all still very successful. The peak of their success being in the past doesn't mean they're retro if they're still very successful today.
Again the explosions of success they had in their early days is so overwhelming that it's hard to think of them without association to that era. Even if they are still successful today, their peak of success in the past could be so great that it dwarfs the current success, or at least makes it apparent that much or most of the current success is completely owed to that initial performance. It goes back to Excite still being classified as a retro by much of the community despite having a release as recent as the Wii era.

Is Pokemon retro? Gen 1 is still the best selling.
I'd say Gen 1 is definitely retro; Pokemon itself is simultaneously retro icon and current multimedia giant on a scale that few IPs can match. Pokemon itself may be considered retro by general audiences who only know about Gen 1 for the most part, but probably not so much by your average in-tune Nintendo fan, sure. But again there are no hard-and-fast rules here, and everything is on a scale, not necessarily dichotomous. I'll add that Pokemon's current success is vastly huger than that of Sonic, Street Fighter, or FF; it's not even in the same category.

Not to mention that the notion of retroness depends heavily on what audience you're a part of. We've already gone over how it changes depending on who you talk to when it comes to things like DK, Star Fox, and now Pokemon. As I'm writing now I realize that part of this difference in perception might be because I frankly don't play or care much about many third party games, so the way I think about something like Street Fighter might be closer to the way the total non-gamer thinks about it than someone who's more invested in that series and its current releases. Kind of like how someone who stopped paying attention after Gen 1 would more likely still think of Pokemon as clearly retro. Then again, I still think of Excitebike as being retro despite paying very good attention to Nintendo history, though in that case the current success is fairly negligible compared to the NES success.

The older characters aren't chosen because they're old, they're chosen because they're popular. They're not popular because they're old, they're popular because they either maintained or at least had a lot of success. Popularity and success aren't gated to old characters.
I basically already said that, I think. It's just that if you want people who don't play a lot of video games (or maybe just not a lot of non-Nintendo games) to recognize and care about the big crossover character you're adding, then a retro icon like Pac-Man is probably the best bet. That said, the number of true retro icons (on the level of Sonic or Pac-Man) not in Smash is dwindling at best, completely gone at worst. So even if you accept the non-causal correlation between base game third party choices and retro iconicness, we could still see the picks move more modern.

Anyway, this is getting to be quite a lot. I'm questioning how important this argument is tbh...especially because I'm not even claiming that the relationship between third party reps and retro status is anything more than "not a total accident."

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They still wouldn't qualify by how Smash defines it
"Smash" doesn't define it at all. The "retro pick" is purely a fan term.

And the fans generally define it as "NES character that hasn't made an appearance since". Which, personally, I think is a dumb thing to have a dedicated slot for in the first place. That description is the description of a bad character choice, and is not a thing they should be adding a new one of in every game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On Switch? You mean NES?
can't believe you're the only person who noticed

Was it though? How do you know? Sales? It was a pack-in game that came with the system.

If it was so popular, why did it never get a sequel?
well let's see, there's fan reviews, that rather long list of supporters i recall the old support thread, the love for the arcade version of the game, it's not uncommon use in pop culture, you know the usual things

cause it was the days of gaming when being popular didn't guarantee you another game the way it does now

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Sonic, Street Fighter, and FF7 are easily era-specific icons (speaking in a general gaming sense, not in terms of Nintendo importance). Them having continued success or not has little to do with it. No matter what happened to them after it, Sonic is still a 90s platformer mascot icon, and Street Fighter is still remembered as a big-time arcade hit. Their attachment to those origins in the public eye is so overwhelming that they are worthy of the label "retro icon" (again in a general gaming sense) and are unlikely to ever shake it.
So is Donkey Kong. So is Pokemon. So is Star Fox. So did Animal Crossing three years ago. If NH is never matched in ubiquity again but the series continues to get successful games, in fifteen years time, it's not going to be "retro". It will just have had a strong peak.

Those aren't retro series. They are series that have had peaks in certain eras, as has Sonic, SF, and FF7.

Sonic just got two Hollywood movies. It's had like five different tv shows. The series has existed for thirty years and has many fans half that age. It's not "retro", it's a consistency prevalent series. The old games and the content therein or thereof are retro. One of Sonic's most popular characters didn't even exist until ~ten years after its peak.

SFV has sold seven million copies. That's less than II, and the zeitgeist around the series is less, but it's not insignificant enough to not make it still a very successful current thing.

I mean the proof is in the pudding. Pokemon isn't retro. Like you said, Gen 1 is retro. As are probably the next couple. Which is my point. That doesn't make the whole series retro.

Again the explosions of success they had in their early days is so overwhelming that it's hard to think of them without association to that era. Even if they are still successful today, their peak of success in the past could be so great that it dwarfs the current success, or at least makes it apparent that much or most of the current success is completely owed to that initial performance. It goes back to Excite still being classified as a retro by much of the community despite having a release as recent as the Wii era.
Association with an era doesn't preclude disassociation with another era.

If you think about Batman movies, you might think about Burton, Nolan, and the new one. If you look at Michael Jackson's discography, just because Thriller was Thriller that doesn't eliminate the Jackson 5 or Bad or any of the other ones. David Bowie had success across like six decades even if the 70s was his peak. Doesn't cast Space Oddity or Let's Dance or Blackstar into nicheness.

Excite isn't a suitable parallel because those new games all sold poorly while series like SF and FF7 have put up millions of units and stay in the public mind.
You're acting like the peak of the series renders the rest forgettable. These are active, triple-A series that you're calling retro. That makes no sense.

I'd say Gen 1 is definitely retro; Pokemon itself is simultaneously retro icon and current multimedia giant on a scale that few IPs can match. Pokemon itself may be considered retro by general audiences who only know about Gen 1 for the most part, but probably not so much by your average in-tune Nintendo fan, sure. But again there are no hard-and-fast rules here, and everything is on a scale, not necessarily dichotomous. I'll add that Pokemon's current success is vastly huger than that of Sonic, Street Fighter, or FF; it's not even in the same category.
And if something is a current multimedia giant then calling it a retro icon is deliberately only looking at part of its output, which isn't the point when judging the whole of the series.

Not to mention that the notion of retroness depends heavily on what audience you're a part of. We've already gone over how it changes depending on who you talk to when it comes to things like DK, Star Fox, and now Pokemon. As I'm writing now I realize that part of this difference in perception might be because I frankly don't play or care much about many third party games, so the way I think about something like Street Fighter might be closer to the way the total non-gamer thinks about it than someone who's more invested in that series and its current releases. Kind of like how someone who stopped paying attention after Gen 1 would more likely still think of Pokemon as clearly retro. Then again, I still think of Excitebike as being retro despite paying very good attention to Nintendo history, though in that case the current success is fairly negligible compared to the NES success.
I mean to some Nintendo is retro, because you only play it when you're a kid.

If you come at things from your personal level of familiarity, that's a bit disingenuous, because that will vary based on the individual. We would have to look at all of them from the same vantage, whether distanced, wherein maybe Street Fighter would seem retro, but then again so would Donkey Kong, or with more familiarity, where... for example, ever since FF7R was revealed, it was one of the most high-profile games coming, and that may have been fuelled by nostalgia, but it also kept it in the zeitgeist and translated to success. So it's not just a vestige of the 90s, even if the original is what kicked it off.

Anyone could brush something off as retro if they didn't stay informed about it, but that may not be treating every subject the same, so it's not a reliable measure. I mean, to me, Dragon Ball is retro, because I stopped paying attention after the DBZ anime. But I know the series has continued and still has a big fanbase. So calling the whole series retro wouldn't be apt.

I basically already said that, I think. It's just that if you want people who don't play a lot of video games (or maybe just not a lot of non-Nintendo games) to recognize and care about the big crossover character you're adding, then a retro icon like Pac-Man is probably the best bet. That said, the number of true retro icons (on the level of Sonic or Pac-Man) not in Smash is dwindling at best, completely gone at worst. So even if you accept the non-causal correlation between base game third party choices and retro iconicness, we could still see the picks move more modern.
Pac-Man is a good bet. But not for the retro part, for the icon part. And a character doesn't have to be old to be big.

Pac-Man is an icon that happens to be retro. Steve is an icon that isn't retro. Both would be good draws. Master Chief is somewhere in the middle. He is a good draw. But then again, even some Among Us crewmate would be a good draw, because the character has become big.

Someone from Fortnite, someone from LoL. They might not be who we want, but they would be good draws, because these are huge games. Frankly they'd probably be more effective lures at this point than whoever is left from the 80s.

Anyway, this is getting to be quite a lot. I'm questioning how important this argument is tbh...especially because I'm not even claiming that the relationship between third party reps and retro status is anything more than "not a total accident."
I suspect we're at an impasse anyway, so feel no obligation to continue if you don't want.

"Smash" doesn't define it at all. The "retro pick" is purely a fan term.

And the fans generally define it as "NES character that hasn't made an appearance since". Which, personally, I think is a dumb thing to have a dedicated slot for in the first place. That description is the description of a bad character choice, and is not a thing they should be adding a new one of in every game.
Well, by Smash, I mean Sakurai. And we used his parameters of NES era. And no, it's not purely a fan term. It's how ICs got in. It might be how Pit got in. It doesn't exist currently, so there is no real point in speculating how it would be filled, but... it was a thing. There once was indeed a spot specifically carved out for an NES character. I mean, we call it retro, I think Sakurai called it "classic", but it's referring to the same thing.

If it was purely a fan term predicated on nothing, it would actually coincide with how people generally think of "retro", as in, something that shifts with time, not something that doesn't extend past like the Game Boy. Many characters would fall under that umbrella now... Saki, Alexandra Roivas, Ray MK, Lip, Jill... and if the DS starts counting then Barbara, Starfy, Isaac, etc.

But that's not how Smash has treated it, so it's not how we treat it.

Luke Starkiller

Smash Cadet
Here's another bit of gaming movie news. Universal Pictures will release Blumhouse Pictures live action adaption of Five Nights at Freddy's on October 27th 2023. So Universal will end up releasing two different movies based on game franchises this year.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's another bit of gaming movie news. Universal Pictures will release Blumhouse Pictures live action adaption of Five Nights at Freddy's on October 27th 2023. So Universal will end up releasing two different movies based on game franchises this year.
theres a lot of game based movies in the works

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It's hilarious that it would be easier for them to put Freddy Fazbear in a Smash movie than Sonic or Pikachu, assuming it'd be done at Universal. It's also kinda interesting to think about - a Smash movie isn't under an obligation to only have characters already in Smash. It might even be weird to not have any newcomers - that is the most exciting part of Smash. I don't think a Smash movie is happening, but it would be fascinating to see how it would go.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
It's hilarious that it would be easier for them to put Freddy Fazbear in a Smash movie than Sonic or Pikachu, assuming it'd be done at Universal. It's also kinda interesting to think about - a Smash movie isn't under an obligation to only have characters already in Smash. It might even be weird to not have any newcomers - that is the most exciting part of Smash. I don't think a Smash movie is happening, but it would be fascinating to see how it would go.
Or the villain from the original Doom movie played by The Rock, which was distributed by Universal as well.

Luke Starkiller

Smash Cadet
I feel like that Nintendo and Universal are planning out these animated movies one at a time. I feel like a Smash Bros movie could work, but they would need to introduce more properties into a film-based format first.

So for Nintendo, they'd need to make a bunch of animated films based on their most famous and popular franchises.

As for third-party characters in a Smash Bros movie, they'd have to ask other film studios and developers for permission to use other gaming characters in the Smash Bros animated movie.

So Universal would have to negotiate a deal with Paramount to use movie verse Sonic in the Smash Bros Movie since Nintendo and Sega already get along fine.

It would be like Sony and Disney sharing Spider Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe where they share the profits off the movie 50/50.

An animated version of movie verse Sonic does exist in a short animated film set after Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022). So you could easily use that existing model.

As for animating Freddy Fazbear, they'd need to make his character model more kid friendly but realistic similar to Mario and Sonic if he were to appear in the Smash Bros animated movie.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I'm skeptical western popularity got any character included in Brawl. I think the first inclusion primarily due to the west was Little Mac.
Was there actually all that much of a Western buzz for Little Mac? I know it confused Japan, but IIRC the West mostly just accepted Little Mac's inclusion because it made sense to them, not because there was a big push for his inclusion. It could be that playable Little Mac was less driven by Western appeal, but more by moveset potential.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Was there actually all that much of a Western buzz for Little Mac? I know it confused Japan, but IIRC the West mostly just accepted Little Mac's inclusion because it made sense to them, not because there was a big push for his inclusion. It could be that playable Little Mac was less driven by Western appeal, but more by moveset potential.
Nah Little Mac was like, one of the early Smash 4 requests

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I suspect we're at an impasse anyway, so feel no obligation to continue if you don't want.
Yeah, there are more points I could make, but I think it's best to drop it for now. It was an interesting argument, though, so thanks for that :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Little Mac was one of the most popular requests for Smash 4. He was VERY popular. He topped most polls he was in.

For the record, the top dogs of Smash 4 requests were Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man, Little Mac and Palutena. Other popular requests like Shulk, Isaac, Chrom and Pac-Man were a step down.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
only one, i fear anymore may be over complicating it. though you should have another as a final smash
So Agumon will digivolve into Greymon as a gimmick. When he's koed, he'll turn back into Agumon. And for his final smash, he'll become Wargreymon and use Terra Force.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I remember me and Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei talked about what the general speculation buzz around the Smash 4 characters was back in the day, as well as the Ultimate ones. Only thing I might push back on that Swamp mentioned was Chrom as a fan favorite. He always gave off more of the vibe that he was expected more than he was wanted if that makes sense. It’s part of why Robin had a solid cult following during Smash 4: they were a viable option that was more interesting moveset wise to many.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I remember me and Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei talked about what the general speculation buzz around the Smash 4 characters was back in the day, as well as the Ultimate ones. Only thing I might push back on that Swamp mentioned was Chrom as a fan favorite. He always gave off more of the vibe that he was expected more than he was wanted if that makes sense. It’s part of why Robin had a solid cult following during Smash 4: they were a viable option that was more interesting moveset wise to many.
Chrom was often seen as an expected inclusion and did have a fair amount of naysayers and apathy. But despite all that, he still ranked highly on Smash polls. He was far and away the most popular Fire Emblem request with only Roy coming close (for a time). He certainly did better than Robin at least. It's as you said, Robin had a cult following. People liked the idea of Robin, but he wasn't a popular request. Lucina also had middling results until her inclusion. Pac-Man also had lots of apathy, but I'd still consider him a really popular request. We have proof Chrom was popular, he was included due to being a request in the Smash ballot. Chrom's fanbase didn't just skyrocket during 2015. It was always there.

:ultrobin:Really freaking glad we got Robin though. :ultrobinf:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I only realized recently that there's a reason that Darth views retro reps differently than the rest of us. For most of us, the NES is entirely a product of the history. All games from back then have the same value, essentially zero. Darth actually lived through it, the NES actually registers as a part of gaming to him. Suggesting Balloon Fighter as a NES rep is like saying we need Sushi Striker as a Switch Rep. I don't really know what to make of this disparity, but it was a realization that kinda hit me like a brick.
Didn't at least most of us experience the NES era back then? So we should see things the same way.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
That was the 80's dude. I'm willing to bet most of us were born in the 90's or early 2000's.
Well, as many people may have noticed by now, I'm all for some NES retro, so you get a good idea of which era I was born in. lol

That being said, I don't accept just any character from the NES era. That's why I said in my post about the list that only picked one character from the NES era and it's from a game I haven't played but one that makes way more since than...Ice Hockey Team/Volleyball Girl for example.

Top Bottom