• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Yeah, it’s pretty depressing to know how common prejudice and hatred still is today. I’d have hoped we would have made more progress in being more accepting by now. It’s hard to really enjoy any type of media with the knowledge that a lot of the people making it aren’t really the greatest people. I’m having the same problem trying to still enjoy the WWE with everything that’s been going on with them. That’s one reason I try not to think about the people behind the games so much and try to focus on the games and characters themselves.
There have always been bad apples everywhere since dawn of time.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
People love to forget how Square did pony up plenty of content at the end of the day. Post launch spirits, two content packed fighters passes, a solid amount of new Mii costumes. It’s just a lot more convenient to forget all that and just say Square is a greedy company to justify bad faith arguments.
I mean Square IS Greedy They cut up Final Fantasy 7 into a weird Remake/ Sequel Hybrid aswell as the Entire Kingdom Hearts Franchise!
Im not saying that this has anything to do with the smash handling but still!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They're very similar, actually. Both Notch and Doug Tennapel are transphobic, homophobic, sexist, and racist far right election-denying conspiracy theorists, with the major difference being that while Notch is a staunch atheist, Tennapel is instead a militant Christian fundamentalist who uses his religious views to attempt to justify his bigotry, all while also being a regular contributor to Breitbart.

And to add to it, while Notch has no ownership whatsoever over Minecraft any longer after it got purchased by Microsoft, Doug still seemingly has a stake in Earthworm Jim: the failed Intellivision Amico was going to have an Earthworm Jim game exclusively made for it, and made a point out of having Doug Tennapel be involved in it again.

So in many ways, he's very similar to Notch, but is arguably even worse, as he has all the same terrible qualities Notch has and then further expands the list, alongside still being involved in the property itself.

There's also the added issue that Doug has a history of letting his views be shown in the franchise itself. In Earthworm Jim, there's an antagonist known as Professor Monkey-for-a-Head who's meant to be a Take That at the concept of evolution, considering Doug himself is a hardcore new earth creationist who decries the concept of evolution as an attack on Christianity.

And as someone who really liked Catscratch as a kid when it aired on Nickelodeon, it sucks because guess who made that one lol.

So yeah, that's a quick rundown for anyone who might not be familiar with the guy. It sucks.
oh wow. that is pretty awful. I found professor monkey for a head rather humorous I had no idea it was attack on anyone. I come from a Christian background as well but I’ve lucky enough to come from a family of very nice people who by all accounts are tolerant of all peoples. Now I feel slightly bad for how funny we found the guy with a monkey for a head. and the woman with a beaver head.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
oh wow. that is pretty awful. I found professor monkey for a head rather humorous I had no idea it was attack on anyone. I come from a Christian background as well but I’ve lucky enough to come from a family of very nice people who by all accounts are tolerant of all peoples. Now I feel slightly bad for how funny we found the guy with a monkey for a head. and the woman with a beaver head.
In fairness it's absolutely one of those things that feels totally innocuous if you don't know what's going on behind the scenes, so nobody would fault you for finding it funny, especially when it's presented in a purposely absurd and cartoony way.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
idk about you guys but i dont think knowing what kind of person Earhtworm Jim creator will effect his chances to join smash because nintendo or sakurai would probably approach these kind of stuff more like business point of view than anything else or else evil companies like Disney and Konami wouldnt be part of smash in the first place
the thing is majority of consumers or players don't care about these stuff

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
idk about you guys but i dont think knowing what kind of person Earhtworm Jim creator will effect his chances to join smash because nintendo or sakurai would probably approach these kind of stuff more like business point of view than anything else or else evil companies like Disney and Konami wouldnt be part of smash in the first place
the thing is majority of consumers or players don't care about these stuff
I mean, to be frank, if we're looking at it purely from the lens of his Smash chances, then Jim likely still wouldn't get in since it's a long dead franchise that only had relevance in the west, that mostly only gets brought up in today's age as either a conversation point about Tennapel or talking about the ray gun cameo in DKC2.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean, to be frank, if we're looking at it purely from the lens of his Smash chances, then Jim likely still wouldn't get in since it's a long dead franchise that only had relevance in the west, that mostly only gets brought up in today's age as either a conversation point about Tennapel or talking about the ray gun cameo in DKC2.
In general, I think Smash could use more retro characters that were popular years ago. In Jim’s specific case, I wouldn’t blame anyone for not wanting him near Smash thanks to his creator. I kind of feel guilty for bringing him up because I completely forgot about his creator. It kind of sucks having to keep that in the back of my mind whenever I want to talk about a fun game character. I still don’t know how I feel about whether I should be trying to separate the art from the artist or not wanting to support anything that benefits people like that.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Seems like the issue with Doug is just people simply being the opposite of side of his political views. Nothing new.

inhales deeply

BRUH.

I knew TenNapel was bad, but now I have more reason to be ashamed that I'm a Christian. AND HE MADE CATSCRATCH TOO!?!? No wonder Nick never acknowledges it...
Wait, what do you mean be ashamed that you're a Christian? You didn't become one because of Doug, I'm sure of that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Seems like the issue with Doug is just people simply being the opposite of side of his political views. Nothing new.

Wait, what do you mean be ashamed that you're a Christian? You didn't become one because of Doug, I'm sure of that.
Bigotry isn't simply someone's "political views."

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why people are always say this **** for the vilest discriminating humans who are against marginalized people having human rights and never about actual political opinion differences over economic or social policy approaches?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think it’s probably a good time to drop the subject before it escalates. I apologize for starting this by bringing up Jim in the first place.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But then again, what's considered bigotry? Because that word gets thrown around a lot, even over mere disagreements.
You're not playing this game with me lmao. Tennapel's racist, sexist, homophobic, and transphobic PUBLIC remarks are absolutely bigoted. There's no discussion there.

Troykv

Smash Master
Why people are always say this **** for the vilest discriminating humans who are against marginalized people having human rights and never about actual political opinion differences over economic or social policy approaches?
Well, saying they have oppossing views is technically correct... but it's a HUGE understatement.

Edit: BTW, why are we even talking about Earthworm Jim? Is he even a viable choice?

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Trolling/Baiting
You're not playing this game with me lmao. Tennapel's racist, sexist, homophobic, and transphobic PUBLIC remarks are absolutely bigoted. There's no discussion there.
You see, that's the problem; you didn't tell me what he actually said. You're just saying that that's what they are. But what exactly did he say?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, saying they have oppossing views is technically correct... but it's a HUGE understatement.

Edit: BTW, why are we even talking about Earthworm Jim? Is he even a viable choice?
That’s my fault. I was just trying to bring up interesting game characters that don’t get talked about much. I’m quickly learning that there was a good reason for that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok perhaps its time we should move on, has anyone get any other suggestions for smash characters? i got the switch version of digimon world next order so i'll be suggesting that

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
That’s my fault. I was just trying to bring up interesting game characters that don’t get talked about much. I’m quickly learning that there was a good reason for that.
There's nothing wrong with talking about Earthworm Jim but yeah, you should have known that bringing up any kind of negative subjects with it was just going to cause a possible storm.

Just next time, stay focus on the positive. You're interested in talking about Earthworm Jim? Talk about him. You're not interested in talking about those...other subjects? Don't.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
There's nothing wrong with talking about Earthworm Jim but yeah, you should have known that bringing any kind of negative subjects with it was just going to raise some questions.

Just next time, stay focus on the positive.
In my defense, I had no idea about his creator when I brought it up. I just learned about Minecraft’s creator in this conversation too. I guess I should research a character before bringing them up again in case there’s any controversy attached to them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You see, that's the problem; you didn't tell me what he actually said. You're just saying that that's what they are. But what exactly did he say?
1. It's not my job to educate you.

2. Literally look at the links I put in my post about him earlier. It was even quoted on this page.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Will Dixie Kong ever be in a Smash game as a playable character?
I hope so. I’m not terribly interested in her as a Diddy echo but I’d love to see her as a unique character either utilizing the animal buddies or her partnership with Kiddy Kong as a tag pair.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
1. It's not my job to educate you.

2. Literally look at the links I put in my post about him earlier. It was even quoted on this page.
1. Then you shouldn't have bothered replying to me with all that.

2. I'd rather you just post the quotes themselves.

In my defense, I had no idea about his creator when I brought it up. I just learned about Minecraft’s creator in this conversation too. I guess I should research a character before bringing them up again in case there’s any controversy attached to them.
Well that's fair but there are others who do feel the need to bring up other things attached to the characters, even when it's negative, which I don't get.

Still, you gotta separate the character from the creator.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
1. Then you shouldn't have bothered replying to me with all that.

2. I'd rather you just post the quotes themselves.
We're done here lol. Your refusal to look into things that are linked on this page and your subsequent demands to be spoonfed information that might be potentially triggering for other people here shows that you're just looking to muddy the waters and justify bigoted views.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
We're done here lol. Your refusal to look into things that are linked on this page and your subsequent demands to be spoonfed information that might be potentially triggering for other people here shows that you're just looking to muddy the waters and justify bigoted views.
How am I trying to justify bigoted views when I don't even know exactly what the guy said?

Rather than go by articles that may see things from their perspective, I'd rather see more direct quotes that I thought you knew of. But from the looks of it, you're just going by what other people say. So yeah...I guess we are done here.

This is not the place to do that.
This is not the place to do a lot of things that just happened.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
They're very similar, actually. Both Notch and Doug Tennapel are transphobic, homophobic, sexist, and racist far right election-denying conspiracy theorists, with the major difference being that while Notch is a staunch atheist, Tennapel is instead a militant Christian fundamentalist who uses his religious views to attempt to justify his bigotry, all while also being a regular contributor to Breitbart.

And to add to it, while Notch has no ownership whatsoever over Minecraft any longer after it got purchased by Microsoft, Doug still seemingly has a stake in Earthworm Jim: the failed Intellivision Amico was going to have an Earthworm Jim game exclusively made for it, and made a point out of having Doug Tennapel be involved in it again.

So in many ways, he's very similar to Notch, but is arguably even worse, as he has all the same terrible qualities Notch has and then further expands the list, alongside still being involved in the property itself.

There's also the added issue that Doug has a history of letting his views be shown in the franchise itself. In Earthworm Jim, there's an antagonist known as Professor Monkey-for-a-Head who's meant to be a Take That at the concept of evolution, considering Doug himself is a hardcore new earth creationist who decries the concept of evolution as an attack on Christianity.

And as someone who really liked Catscratch as a kid when it aired on Nickelodeon, it sucks because guess who made that one lol.

So yeah, that's a quick rundown for anyone who might not be familiar with the guy. It sucks.
If you want to get into the unfortunate implications of Doug’s work, Earthworm Jim 3D is the worst offender in my opinion. Dude is a piece of crap and has been for a long time. Like, that game is super transphobic.

At least the new Earthworm Jim show has ran as far from him as possible.

Top Bottom