• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I’m playing Legend of Dragoon for the first time.

Yeah… Dart would be cool in Smash. I don’t care if whomever from whatever company is statistically better and the “better” candidate. I am on an RPG nerd kick. :jojo:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I’m playing Legend of Dragoon for the first time.

Yeah… Dart would be cool in Smash. I don’t care if whomever from whatever company is statistically better and the “better” candidate. I am on an RPG nerd kick. :jojo:
I am still bitter that Dart got screwed and was not in PSABR. Yeah PSABR was not that good, but knowing Dart was planned and if the game just did a tiny bit better we would have gotten him as DLC makes me sad.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
My biggest never-ever dream for an hypothetical PSASBR 2 is Noire from Neptunia.
While Neptune is the go-to choice, i'll find funny that one i want represents the PlayStation brand in-universe.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Worms has insane moveset potential and would be fun. It's a shame that for the latest game they decide to go for industry trends and do a bad Battle royale instead of focusing on what makes the franchise fun. Hopefully we have a proper game sometimes soon.
This video summarizes your wishes.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Every since knowing about Dreams, I was really hoping that maybe a group of fans that were good at creating games would use Dreams to make a new PlayStation All-Stars game. But heck, even that hasn't happened yet.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Every since knowing about Dreams, I was really hoping that maybe a group of fans that were good at creating games would use Dreams to make a new PlayStation All-Stars game. But heck, even that hasn't happened yet.
Man, I keep forgetting Dreams is even a THING. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I never anybody talk about it...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m kind of surprised no one ever really talks about Earthworm Jim for Smash. That was a fun and wacky game and he’d fit right in a game like Smash. Earthworm Jim even got a cartoon that was pretty entertaining back in the day.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I’m kind of surprised no one ever really talks about Earthworm Jim for Smash. That was a fun and wacky game and he’d fit right in a game like Smash. Earthworm Jim even got a cartoon that was pretty entertaining back in the day.
Sadly, I think that's partly to do with his creator being such an asshat.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That’s fair. I had completely forgotten about that. It sucks when the creators or owners of great characters end up being crappy people. I’m not sure where I stand on separating the art from the artist argument. I try not to think too much about that kind of thing and just focus on the games or characters themselves but it can be tough sometimes. Blizzard is another example of a company that I love their characters but it’s hard to fully support thanks to what they’ve done.

Bad Mr. Frosty from ClayFighter would be another fun throwback from the same era but I don’t know if its creator has any controversy. The clay aesthetic could be fun to see with modern HD graphics.

1679279577870.jpeg

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
That’s fair. I had completely forgotten about that. It sucks when the creators or owners of great characters end up being crappy people. I’m not sure where I stand on separating the art from the artist argument. I try not to think too much about that kind of thing and just focus on the games or characters themselves but it can be tough sometimes. Blizzard is another example of a company that I love their characters but it’s hard to fully support thanks to what they’ve done.

Bad Mr. Frosty from Clayfighter would be another fun throwback from the same era but I don’t know if it’s creator has any controversy.
That runs into the problem of ''barely anybody knows what Clayfighter is'', but i'm all for it I love that ****.

''I'm cool!''

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Man, I keep forgetting Dreams is even a THING. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I never anybody talk about it...
It's been out for quite a while, so maybe that's why at this point.

But every since I've heard about it, I always thought that if Sony doesn't make new one, then maybe the fans would. Or at least create PSAS versions of characters, complete with movesets and everything.

I see Smash fans do things like Super Smash Flash and Project M, all for a series that really doesn't need it because it's still ongoing and going strong too. PlayStation fans has a game from Sony themselves that allows them to do something kind of like that and not a single person has done it. I just don't get it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
As much as I'd like Jim in Smash, it's a little hard for me to think about him without being reminded of a certain... incident on this site. Won't go into details, because it was awhile ago (though I'm sure most here already know about it), but uh... kinda makes things awkward for me.

And that's without taking into account thr whole "awful creator" thing.

Bad Mr. Frosty from ClayFighter would be another fun throwback from the same era but I don’t know if its creator has any controversy. The clay aesthetic could be fun to see with modern HD graphics.

View attachment 369591
This, though? This I can DEFINETLY get behind (minus the racist stereotyping, of course). Unrelated, but give RebelTaxi's video on Clayfighters a watch.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
That runs into the problem of ''barely anybody knows what Clayfighter is'', but i'm all for it I love that ****.

''I'm cool!''
Maybe i'm remember wrong, but was Clayfighter on the Japanese Wii Virtual Console?
What baffles me is that Ballz 3D managed to get a release on that country, yet the Clay games weren't.
images (1).jpeg

Well, if Vectorman could be re-relesed digitally there, then let's wait until the plasticine warriors come to the Japanese NSO.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
As much as I'd like Jim in Smash, it's a little hard for me to think about him without being reminded of a certain... incident on this site. Won't go into details, because it was awhile ago (though I'm sure most here already know about it), but uh... kinda makes things awkward for me.
And here I am completely clueless about both of those things. :laugh:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Does Worms have any notability in Japan? I do think Worm (or “Boggy B” if you want it to be a specific Worm) could be quite fun in Smash.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Does Worms have any notability in Japan? I do think Worm (or “Boggy B” if you want it to be a specific Worm) could be quite fun in Smash.
Sadly, no.
This is even worse when you consider that Lemmings even got ported to TurboGrafx-16 only there (a console that has more Japanese appeal).
images (2).jpeg

Granted, this version is exclusive there.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Again, this was awhile ago so try not to be... extensice about it, but look up the Earthworm Jim support thread for Ultimate.
Just read about it.

Seems like it cleared up pretty fast. You just need to forget about all that and stay focused on the character. Besides, as bad as that incident may have been, it's nowhere near as bad as how that other person acted after Steve was revealed. I mean, my gosh!

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Sadly, no.
This is even worse when you consider that Lemmings even got ported to TurboGrafx-16 only there (a console that has more Japanese appeal).
View attachment 369595
Granted, this version is exclusive there.
Lemmings was on everything, to be fair. I think every console from the early 90's got it.

Just read about it.

Seems like it cleared up pretty fast. You just need to forget about all that and stay focused on the character. Besides, as bad as that incident may have been, it's nowhere near as bad as how that other person acted after Steve was revealed. I mean, my gosh!
The Steve hate was on a whole other level for some people, like ''worse than goku getting in'' levels.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Let's talk about Star Fox.

While Fox staying is a given, what do you think about the state of the franchise's representation in Smash? Can it keep all three characters? Are Falco and/or Wolf safe? Could you see them getting a fourth character? Who would that be? The popular choice is Krystal.

What stages do you think we could see? We've had Sector Z, Corneria, Venom, Lylat Cruise and Orbital Gate Assault. What makes for a good and interesting Star Fox stage?

What tracks should be included?

Just kind of in a Star Fox mood lately.
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Also, they mention Pushmo quite a bit near the end. Is that a series that could get a Smash rep? Never played it, so I wouldn't know.
Its a fun little puzzle platformer where you pull and push blocks around to reach the flag/kid/bird on top. Later games where a bit more elaborate but the overal premise is the same.

I can see him getting a pretty interesting moveset in Smash, but if not, Sakurai could always just pull an Incineroar and use Mallo as an exuse to have a sumo wrestler moveset in Smash, since that's what he is too...

To this day it still baffles me why he never got a stage at least in smash 3DS, it was like, the most obvious thing ever...
Putting outside influences aside and just focusing on the character and his world itself for a moment...

Earthworm Jim would be a fun inclusion, he's practically set as far as moveset potential goes and his series got a banger soundtrack too.
Also if they go the cartoon route, he'd be the closest thing in getting Homer Simpson (and Krusty the Clown if he gets an Evil Jim alt) in smash, which is a funny thought to have, especially if Dan Castellaneta keeps his screams...

Another character I'd like to see but isn't discussed much is Metabee from the Medabots franchise, the games where fun and the show was pretty great too.
Its still ongoing in Japan, even having some crossovers with Digimon and Megaman Battle Network. Only a real shame the series dropped off from the west, and the current legal battle with this crypto guy isn't making things any easier when it comes to bringing the series back to the west..

A shame since Metabee would have made for a pretty cool inclusion too had the series stuck around in the west like it did in Japan.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i know a guy who loves jim and would probably main him. also my circle of friends has quite strong nostalgia for the N64 game despite its horrendous reception. so i'm onboard, espcially if they bring that boss battle theme from the aforementioned game

worse than the guy who made minecraft? I don’t mean that to sound disingenuous, I literally don’t know what they’ve done. The Jim maker not the minecraft maker

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i know a guy who loves jim and would probably main him. also my circle of friends has quite strong nostalgia for the N64 game despite its horrendous reception. so i'm onboard, espcially if they bring that boss battle theme from the aforementioned game

worse than the guy who made minecraft?
Huh, I didn’t realize Minecraft’s creator was the same way until I just looked it up. I’m not sure if he made those comments before or after Steve got in Smash but that’s pretty messed up. From what I’ve read, Jim’s creator is in the same ballpark as Minecraft’s as they’ve both made very prejudice statements about minorities.

Sonic’s creator was arrested and the Dragon Quest composer had a lot of not so great beliefs himself so maybe outside influences like that don’t affect Smash much.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Huh, I didn’t realize Minecraft’s creator was the same way until I just looked it up. I’m not sure if he made those comments before or after Steve got in Smash but that’s pretty messed up. Sonic’s creator was arrested and the Dragon Quest composer had a lot of not so great beliefs himself so maybe outside influences like that don’t affect Smash much.
its one of the sad truths about the gaming industry, or the creative industry as a whole, it’s virtually impossible to get something that wasn’t connected in some way to someone unpleasant

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Huh, I didn’t realize Minecraft’s creator was the same way until I just looked it up. I’m not sure if he made those comments before or after Steve got in Smash but that’s pretty messed up. From what I’ve read, Jim’s creator is in the same ballpark as Minecraft’s as they’ve both made very prejudice statements about minorities.

Sonic’s creator was arrested and the Dragon Quest composer had a lot of not so great beliefs himself so maybe outside influences like that don’t affect Smash much.
The gaming industry in general has some skeletons in their closets, including Nintendo themselves.

Its just a sad reality you cant really get around with, especially with larger corporations.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Its a fun little puzzle platformer where you pull and push blocks around to reach the flag/kid/bird on top. Later games where a bit more elaborate but the overal premise is the same.

I can see him getting a pretty interesting moveset in Smash, but if not, Sakurai could always just pull an Incineroar and use Mallo as an exuse to have a sumo wrestler moveset in Smash, since that's what he is too...

To this day it still baffles me why he never got a stage at least in smash 3DS, it was like, the most obvious thing ever...

Putting outside influences aside and just focusing on the character and his world itself for a moment...

Earthworm Jim would be a fun inclusion, he's practically set as far as moveset potential goes and his series got a banger soundtrack too.
Also if they go the cartoon route, he'd be the closest thing in getting Homer Simpson (and Krusty the Clown if he gets an Evil Jim alt) in smash, which is a funny thought to have, especially if Dan Catellaneta keeps his screams...

Another character I'd like to see but isn't discussed much is Metabee from the Medabots franchise, the games where fun and the show was pretty great too.
Its still ongoing in Japan, even having some crossovers with Digimon and Megaman Battle Network. Only a real shame the series dropped off from the west, and the current legal battle with this crypto guy isn't making things any easier when it comes to bringing the series back to the west..

A shame since Metabee would have made for a pretty cool inclusion too had the series stuck around in the west like it did in Japan.
Medabots in a legal battle with a crypto guy? Great, now I'M the one who's curious here!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The gaming industry in general has some skeletons in their closets, including Nintendo themselves.

Its just a sad reality you cant really get around with, especially with larger corporations.
Yeah, it’s pretty depressing to know how common prejudice and hatred still is today. I’d have hoped we would have made more progress in being more accepting by now. It’s hard to really enjoy any type of media with the knowledge that a lot of the people making it aren’t really the greatest people. I’m having the same problem trying to still enjoy the WWE with everything that’s been going on with them. That’s one reason I try not to think about the people behind the games so much and try to focus on the games and characters themselves.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I have been summoned.

While Fox staying is a given, what do you think about the state of the franchise's representation in Smash? Can it keep all three characters? Are Falco and/or Wolf safe? Could you see them getting a fourth character? Who would that be? The popular choice is Krystal.

What stages do you think we could see? We've had Sector Z, Corneria, Venom, Lylat Cruise and Orbital Gate Assault. What makes for a good and interesting Star Fox stage?

Fox will remain a permanent member of the Smash roster. Even if the next game has a rebooted roster the same size as Smash 64's, Fox would be a part of that roster. No doubt. If the next game has a roster between Brawl's and Smash 4's size (40-50 fighters), I can see at least one of Falco or Wolf staying, if not both. Falco has been in more Smash and Star Fox games than Wolf, whereas Wolf is a more unique fighter and has "evidence" of fan-demand thanks to the Ballot.

If Star Fox remains in its current state, the only way I see it getting a 4th character would be if Ultimate gets ported onto the next console, and they start pulling from Assist Trophies to turn into new fighters since they already have a lot of work done on them. Krystal obviously did well enough on the Ballot to warrant getting in as an AT, and honestly she's been treated very well for an AT in Ultimate. I can genuinely see her getting in under those circumstances.

If Star Fox finally sees a Fire Emblem: Awakening or Metroid Dread-like revival, I can easily see one new fighter. Krystal's the obvious front-runner, but if she happens to be omitted from the next game again, I wouldn't discount Slippy's chances. He did star in his own spin-off, Star Fox Guard after all. Plus his body type is close enough to Peppy's you could bring him in too as a clone like a two-for-one deal and get the entire original Star Fox team.

And if anyone is interested, I've made movesets for Krystal and Slippy/Peppy. Krystal's takes heavy inspiration from Super Smash Flash 2 (Where her moveset is nearly flawless) and Slippy/Peppy's is partially inspired by the Smash 64 Remix mod. You can find Google Doc links to Krystal's here and Slippy/Peppy's here.

As far as stages go, Smash likes to stick with spacecraft, so I'm unsure of them doing something different. If Krystal got it, something from Sauria would be nice to see. Again, SSF2's Krazoa Palace stage is a ton of fun, though not competitively viable. More likely than anything the next stage would take place in an area from the next game, whatever locations it may have. Still disappointed Orbital Gate Assault never returned, but my theory is that is wouldn't cooperate with the Stage Morph mechanic.

Music-wise Star Fox is very under-represented. Star Fox Zero getting only three tracks is shocking, Adventures having nothing is criminal, and with Star Fox 2 having seen an official release it should get some love too. And that's not counting the other games with tons of fitting tracks. I could make a huge list, but not to overwhelm, I'll share two from the three games I mentioned. From Adventures: LightFoot Test of Strength and Boss Drakor; From Zero: Titania and Sector Beta; And from SF2: Eladard and of course Surprise Attack.

In the end, Star Fox is in a decent spot as far as reputation goes given its current state. There is so much more it can offer to Smash, but its got to compete with other, unfortunately more successful series to get any more love. Star Fox as a series has so much untapped potential, and I still pray that one day Star Fox will get its "Awakening" or "Dread" moment and make a huge comeback.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I think at this point the Melee vets that are not Young Link and Pichu (maybe Doc too) are safe beyond a nuclear tier reboot. Mewtwo and Roy are extremely popular characters despite being cut at one point and ICs were only cut due to tech issues. I think it says a lot that for over 20 years and multiple games, this cast has managed to stick around Even if we got a roster with around 50 characters, which I will stress is extremely unlikely, I think Falco is in a very safe spot. The Melee cast is iconic for a reason. It also helps that Falco being a semi clone is an easier character to make. After the ballot era, I am confident in Wolf as well. Even if cuts were going to be in the double digits going forward, I would say Wolf is a safer bet to say than go.

In terms of new content though, I highly doubt we would get anything substantial. Unless they decide to do a Star Fox stage for the sake of doing a Star Fox stage, there is no real reason to do a Star Fox stage, let alone character. Zero was an attempt to bring back the series and it did not do well. The only non Smash thing that we have gotten since then was Starlink: Battle for Atlas, a game I am pretty sure everyone already forgot about them cameoing in. If they want to do a Star Fox stage they will probably pull from an older game or make something up loosely with Lylat Cruise. If they went with a stage not completely made up, I would go with something like a Zoness. They take plenty of liberties with Star Fox stages but I think Zoness would be a fun contrast to Corneria and Venom.

As for characters, I would not bet on Krystal right now. If you wanted to make people upsetti spaghetti you could make her a last minute echo of Fox and steal a few staff moves from Palu, but as a full on unique character that is a hard sell. She is popular, but nowadays I would not say shes in the top 5 big first party requests. If they went with a fan favorite pick, which Krystal would be unless Star Fox comes back at some point, then I have a hard time seeing us get Krystal over fan favorite picks like Waluigi or Isaac.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I have been summoned.

Fox will remain a permanent member of the Smash roster. Even if the next game has a rebooted roster the same size as Smash 64's, Fox would be a part of that roster. No doubt. If the next game has a roster between Brawl's and Smash 4's size (40-50 fighters), I can see at least one of Falco or Wolf staying, if not both. Falco has been in more Smash and Star Fox games than Wolf, whereas Wolf is a more unique fighter and has "evidence" of fan-demand thanks to the Ballot.

If Star Fox remains in its current state, the only way I see it getting a 4th character would be if Ultimate gets ported onto the next console, and they start pulling from Assist Trophies to turn into new fighters since they already have a lot of work done on them. Krystal obviously did well enough on the Ballot to warrant getting in as an AT, and honestly she's been treated very well for an AT in Ultimate. I can genuinely see her getting in under those circumstances.

If Star Fox finally sees a Fire Emblem: Awakening or Metroid Dread-like revival, I can easily see one new fighter. Krystal's the obvious front-runner, but if she happens to be omitted from the next game again, I wouldn't discount Slippy's chances. He did star in his own spin-off, Star Fox Guard after all. Plus his body type is close enough to Peppy's you could bring him in too as a clone like a two-for-one deal and get the entire original Star Fox team.

And if anyone is interested, I've made movesets for Krystal and Slippy/Peppy. Krystal's takes heavy inspiration from Super Smash Flash 2 (Where her moveset is nearly flawless) and Slippy/Peppy's is partially inspired by the Smash 64 Remix mod. You can find Google Doc links to Krystal's here and Slippy/Peppy's here.

As far as stages go, Smash likes to stick with spacecraft, so I'm unsure of them doing something different. If Krystal got it, something from Sauria would be nice to see. Again, SSF2's Krazoa Palace stage is a ton of fun, though not competitively viable. More likely than anything the next stage would take place in an area from the next game, whatever locations it may have. Still disappointed Orbital Gate Assault never returned, but my theory is that is wouldn't cooperate with the Stage Morph mechanic.

Music-wise Star Fox is very under-represented. Star Fox Zero getting only three tracks is shocking, Adventures having nothing is criminal, and with Star Fox 2 having seen an official release it should get some love too. And that's not counting the other games with tons of fitting tracks. I could make a huge list, but not to overwhelm, I'll share two from the three games I mentioned. From Adventures: LightFoot Test of Strength and Boss Drakor; From Zero: Titania and Sector Beta; And from SF2: Eladard and of course Surprise Attack.

In the end, Star Fox is in a decent spot as far as reputation goes given its current state. There is so much more it can offer to Smash, but its got to compete with other, unfortunately more successful series to get any more love. Star Fox as a series has so much untapped potential, and I still pray that one day Star Fox will get its "Awakening" or "Dread" moment and make a huge comeback.
I kinda agree with everything you said, except your certainty that Fox would come back even in the (very hypothetical) case of a Smash 64-size roster. I think there are several "new" franchises who would take priority over Star Fox, like Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Pikmin, even ARMS, maybe. Fox, Falcon, and Ness are really not safe, given the current state of their franchise (and Puff would most probably by replaced by another Pokémon).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
worse than the guy who made minecraft? I don’t mean that to sound disingenuous, I literally don’t know what they’ve done. The Jim maker not the minecraft maker
They're very similar, actually. Both Notch and Doug Tennapel are transphobic, homophobic, sexist, and racist far right election-denying conspiracy theorists, with the major difference being that while Notch is a staunch atheist, Tennapel is instead a militant Christian fundamentalist who uses his religious views to attempt to justify his bigotry, all while also being a regular contributor to Breitbart.

And to add to it, while Notch has no ownership whatsoever over Minecraft any longer after it got purchased by Microsoft, Doug still seemingly has a stake in Earthworm Jim: the failed Intellivision Amico was going to have an Earthworm Jim game exclusively made for it, and made a point out of having Doug Tennapel be involved in it again.

So in many ways, he's very similar to Notch, but is arguably even worse, as he has all the same terrible qualities Notch has and then further expands the list, alongside still being involved in the property itself.

There's also the added issue that Doug has a history of letting his views be shown in the franchise itself. In Earthworm Jim, there's an antagonist known as Professor Monkey-for-a-Head who's meant to be a Take That at the concept of evolution, considering Doug himself is a hardcore new earth creationist who decries the concept of evolution as an attack on Christianity.

And as someone who really liked Catscratch as a kid when it aired on Nickelodeon, it sucks because guess who made that one lol.

So yeah, that's a quick rundown for anyone who might not be familiar with the guy. It sucks.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
They're very similar, actually. Both Notch and Doug Tennapel are transphobic, homophobic, sexist, and racist far right election-denying conspiracy theorists, with the major difference being that while Notch is a staunch atheist, Tennapel is instead a militant Christian fundamentalist who uses his religious views to attempt to justify his bigotry, all while also being a regular contributor to Breitbart.

And to add to it, while Notch has no ownership whatsoever over Minecraft any longer after it got purchased by Microsoft, Doug still seemingly has a stake in Earthworm Jim: the failed Intellivision Amico was going to have an Earthworm Jim game exclusively made for it, and made a point out of having Doug Tennapel be involved in it again.

So in many ways, he's very similar to Notch, but is arguably even worse, as he has all the same terrible qualities Notch has and then further expands the list, alongside still being involved in the property itself.

There's also the added issue that Doug has a history of letting his views be shown in the franchise itself. In Earthworm Jim, there's an antagonist known as Professor Monkey-for-a-Head who's meant to be a Take That at the concept of evolution, considering Doug himself is a hardcore new earth creationist who decries the concept of evolution as an attack on Christianity.

And as someone who really liked Catscratch as a kid when it aired on Nickelodeon, it sucks because guess who made that one lol.

So yeah, that's a quick rundown for anyone who might not be familiar with the guy. It sucks.
inhales deeply

BRUH.

I knew TenNapel was bad, but now I have more reason to be ashamed that I'm a Christian. AND HE MADE CATSCRATCH TOO!?!? No wonder Nick never acknowledges it...

Top Bottom