• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Luke Starkiller

Smash Cadet
While I don’t necessarily think Nintendo should buy RARE at this point, I do think it would be great if they worked out a deal with Microsoft to make all games based on RARE IP multiplatform between X-Box and Nintendo’s consoles. While most of the talent that made the amazing games from the SNES and N64 eras has left, they still have iconic IP that at least I have a lot of nostalgia for. If we can get RARE Replay on the Switch or it’s successor, it would go a long way in raising awareness and hopefully enjoyment and appreciation for their old games and by extension helping the chance that any new game from those IP does well. The Killer Instinct reboot was a huge success despite the lack of budget or marketing. I imagine the games would do even better with a stronger push.

I really don’t understand the hate that so many modern fans have for RARE. Many go so far as to say that their games were never any good. I’m not sure where that sentiment came from. When I was younger, I though their games had a generally positive reception and many were among the most fun experiences I’ve ever had in gaming. Maybe it’s not as many people as I think and it’s just a small group of haters that just post a lot but it’s a little disheartening. Kind of like I was transported to an alternate future reality. Maybe I just didn’t socialize with enough people back then and this was always the sentiment?
I agree with that sentiment, Rare makes good games in the past and their modern titles like Sea of Thieves are really good as well. Me and my young brother have had good times playing that before as a team.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i find it hard to believe two brothers worked as a team
I played tons of co-op games with my brother and we’re working as a team on our own original game (that may or may not ever actually come out. It turns out that making a game is really hard lol.)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I played tons of co-op games with my brother and we’re working as a team on our own original game (that may or may not ever actually come out. It turns out that making a game is really hard lol.)
my brother and I always have guns pointed at each other’s heads

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So from what ive Gathered some People seem really AGainst the Ideas of 6 or More Kirby Chars
Okay but lets be honest 4 characters are too little so i thought of this Rep:

BWD should be Obvious and Magolor is here because hes also a Giant Character (and i say that as a Dark Matter fan)
Kept Stages:
Green Greens with a Dreamland alt Version its also redesigned to look like Green gardens
Halberd Looks Less Brawly
New Stages:
Castle Dedede
and Bubbly Clouds with Kracko flying onto the Stage
In General add some non sakurai Kirby Remixes
Add the Original Zero two theme
Add Void Souls theme
Add tracks From Forgotten Land
add galacta Knights Theme
Add a Masked Dedede Theme
Kept Items and Ats:
Bomber
Food (is it a Kirby Item?)
Maxim Tomato
Warp Star

Chef Kawasaki

New Items and ATs:
Shield Horn (From RTDL)
Robobot Armour
I dunno just some ideas

Gooey
Elfilis
Adeline Sword Fighter Costume (Sword Becomes Brush)
Dark MAtter Sword Fighter Costume
Susie Gunner Costume
Knuckle Joe Brawler Mii
Headgear

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Amateurs. Back in my day, we used nothing but our fists and teeth to establish who's the better brother...
I guess the fists, or hands, are mightier than the sword or pen, especially in the sense that both require hands to use. :troll:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
My relationship with my brother consists of me walking home every day to find him in a group chat saying slurs

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I had fights with my only sister as a kid. Now, we really do get along, if you don’t mind me saying.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
My brother and I have a silly tradition of making each other small silly games as birthday gifts. Usually we'll just make a tiny rpgmaker game, FNAF clone or something like that. And like, the ones I make are nothing special. But you know what he did last year? He literally made an ENTIRE 3D PLATFORMER called "Super Togetic 64" as a birthday gift. He's the absolute best little brother ever lmao

Whimsicott-NEO for Smash pls
Alright, here's the moveset for the world famous Geno from Fortnite! That's who everyone was talking about right

For starters they completely redesign him (changing his design to a weird puppet thing), and none of his moves make sense. Why does he turn into a canon? I have to imagine none of these people have played Fortnite.
Honestly I think I'd prefer this over Jonesy, Geno Fortnite is a great idea lol.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Honestly I think I'd prefer this over Jonesy, Geno Fortnite is a great idea lol.
An important character in Fortnite sharing a name with the silly smash puppet is incredibly funny to me. What I think is even funnier is that he's a genuinely interesting character in his own right. Honest to god, and completely unironically, I think Geno Fortnite is in my top 10 MWs.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
An important character in Fortnite sharing a name with the silly smash puppet is incredibly funny to me. What I think is even funnier is that he's a genuinely interesting character in his own right. Honest to god, and completely unironically, I think Geno Fortnite is in my top 10 MWs.
Yeah, I don’t play Fortnite and your moveset shows that he’d be a really interesting Smash character. It would be amusing to see Smash fans reactions when we finally get a Geno, only for it to be a Fortnite character. Fortnite Geno also has a more interesting visual design than Jonesy so that addresses my only complaint with getting a Fortnite character.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The idea of Nintendo owning all of Capcom's IPs makes me want to die.
Ohhh, but the Smash roster we'd get...

I thought it was won't be satisfied without a Konami acquisition?
I love Konami's IP and all, but that's not nearly as impressive a portfolio. They could maybe make 10 or so Smash characters from Konami before they had to start reaching. They could probably do 30 Capcom characters without breaking a sweat.

Amateurs. Back in my day, we used nothing but our fists and teeth to establish who's the better brother...
The strongest weapons are...psychological...

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I love Konami's IP and all, but that's not nearly as impressive a portfolio. They could maybe make 10 or so Smash characters from Konami before they had to start reaching. They could probably do 30 Capcom characters without breaking a sweat.
Before going into the much less popular IPs, yeah. :emptysheep: Which is sad because bring in their other IPs and they'd have some good variety of characters. Bring in the Hudson IPs and they have a great variety of characters to choose from.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Before going into the much less popular IPs, yeah. :emptysheep: Which is sad because bring in their other IPs and they'd have some good variety of characters. Bring in the Hudson IPs and they have a great variety of characters to choose from.
Ever since I saw Thorgi's retrospective on the Bloody Roar series, I've been toying with the idea of that getting a rep. Haven't quite figured out how to balance the transformation aspect, though...

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Ohhh, but the Smash roster we'd get...

The strongest weapons are...psychological...
"Yeah, I want the gaming market to consolidate so that we could get more characters in Smash. How could you tell?"
ab10ee37-d4fb-4024-95a5-67326a27cfc8-1654183198080.jpg

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With a lot of big gaming companies in Japan there's complications even if their IP's are valuable. Square Enix and Capcom thrive off a multi-platform release model, Sega & Konami have big non traditional video game divisions which a company would also have to acquire, Bandai Namco (obviously) makes a lot of its money with various non gaming media/toys, etc. Koei Tecmo would probably make the most sense as a Nintendo purchase, but even that has its own complications, and there's no indication that the Big N's expressed any interest in such a move.

The thing with Nintendo specifically is that they are incredibly cash rich company with loads of money in the bank, but a lot of that was amassed by being conservative and money smart whenever they could be. Even if Nintendo didn't have constant big profits being brought in their portable divisions during the lean years of the Gamecube or Wii U, there was (and is) still so much untouched wealth in their possession that they were never in an real danger financially. A lot of their purchases seem to reflect that, being valuable, (but still not overtly costly) studios that they can make immediate use of and without much excess unwanted divisions that they have to deal with.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If they ever declone Dark Samus, could they replace them with whoever this stalker-looking fellow is?

Not really. SA-X is really cool and all, but it's a pretty far stretch for an echo. Dark Samus eclipses it in popularity due to having an actual character. SA-X are just kind of monsters.

Yes, there is more than one SA-X.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
On the topic of aquisition, I really doubt that Nintendo would go for any big names. That being said, I could see them buying studios that already have a strong relationships with them similar to Next level games. The obvious choice would be Intelligent systems and Hal laboratory, but I could also see them buying Grezzo or Mercury steam.

I really don’t understand the hate that so many modern fans have for RARE. Many go so far as to say that their games were never any good. I’m not sure where that sentiment came from. When I was younger, I though their games had a generally positive reception and many were among the most fun experiences I’ve ever had in gaming. Maybe it’s not as many people as I think and it’s just a small group of haters that just post a lot but it’s a little disheartening. Kind of like I was transported to an alternate future reality. Maybe I just didn’t socialize with enough people back then and this was always the sentiment?
People who say that Rare was never good are either trolling or genuinely stupid. The Donkey kong country trilogy alone is probably some of the most critically acclaimed games of all time.

That being said, their game quality really start dropping at the Gamecube/Xbox era. Many blames Microsoft for this, but I don't think this is their fault because most of Rare games for that era had very long development cycle and started has Gamecube games before switching for the Xbox 360 (Grabbed by the ghoulies, Kameo, Perfect dark zero and Viva pinata were all originally Gamecube games). While Viva pinata got fairly positive reviews, the others were mostly mixed or negative. After that, they're last big Xbox 360 games was Banjo Kazooie nuts and bolts, which actually got fairly good reviews from critics but fans hated it and it sold so poorly that at this moment Microsoft restructured them so they became a Kinect studios. It took them 10 years to do another big games, which was Sea of thieves.

You know, I wonder how different the Smash roster would have been today if Nintendo has bought Rare instead of Microsoft. I feel like Banjo would have been add for Brawl (assuming that Nuts and Bolts would have existed as a 2008 Wii game). Maybe Battletoads would have been added eventually as retro characters. Maybe Conker and Joanna Dark would have been considered for Brawl too.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
So from what ive Gathered some People seem really AGainst the Ideas of 6 or More Kirby Chars
Okay but lets be honest 4 characters are too little so i thought of this Rep:

BWD should be Obvious and Magolor is here because hes also a Giant Character (and i say that as a Dark Matter fan)
Kept Stages:
Green Greens with a Dreamland alt Version its also redesigned to look like Green gardens
Halberd Looks Less Brawly
New Stages:
Castle Dedede
and Bubbly Clouds with Kracko flying onto the Stage
In General add some non sakurai Kirby Remixes
Add the Original Zero two theme
Add Void Souls theme
Add tracks From Forgotten Land
add galacta Knights Theme
Add a Masked Dedede Theme
Kept Items and Ats:
Bomber
Food (is it a Kirby Item?)
Maxim Tomato
Warp Star

Chef Kawasaki

New Items and ATs:
Shield Horn (From RTDL)
Robobot Armour
I dunno just some ideas

Gooey
Elfilis
Adeline Sword Fighter Costume (Sword Becomes Brush)
Dark MAtter Sword Fighter Costume
Susie Gunner Costume
Knuckle Joe Brawler Mii
Headgear
It's always shocked me that Ultimate didn't at least throw Bandana Dee and Magalor as assist trophies to throw their very passionate and vocal fans a bone at least.

Also it's pretty surprising that Rhythm Heaven doesn't have much else besides spirits and music. You'd think a fairly beloved series would at least get an assist
Even

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not really. SA-X is really cool and all, but it's a pretty far stretch for an echo. Dark Samus eclipses it in popularity due to having an actual character. SA-X are just kind of monsters.

Yes, there is more than one SA-X.
Imagine if we do somehow get a follow-up in a new game as to why Quiet Robe X sacrificed itself for Samus and it includes new details for the SA-X, it's actions and more depth to it's behaviour.

I know it may not happen, but the final bit of the ending to Metroid Dread was very fascinating that I'd be sad if it doesn't get some sort of follow-up acknowledgement as to why the X did what it did. The idea that the X may have some sort of sentience or personality absorption/acknowledgement is a legitimately fun theory and how it could tie to some of the moments on the BSAA is also fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom