• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Quillion

Smash Hero
I get you're joking, but considering all the hoops Microsoft is going through just to get ActiBlizz, I wouldn't bet on them making any "big" acquisitions for awhile once that goes through. Especially not Epic: I think they might be even BIGGER than MS...
GOOD. That means the acquisition war can be arrested before it gets out of hand.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm working on a Geno moveset. I have to say, most Geno moveset I see are incredibly inaccurate to how he normally acts. Have they ever played his original game?

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I'm working on a Geno moveset. I have to say, most Geno moveset I see are incredibly inaccurate to how he normally acts. Have they ever played his original game?
And there comes a common joke in the Smash community. Most of the people who want their dream characters haven't played their video games, so "Smash fan" is now a perojative term to refer a person who haven't touched video games in their lives.
It's just an obnoxious slang like Scrimblo Bimblo.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Don't be so hard on them, maybe they're European.

...Okay, jokes aside, it can be tricky to translate turn-based combat to Smash without taking some liberties. What's your problem with how Geno movesets tend to depict him?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
And there comes a common joke in the Smash community. Most of the people who want their dream characters haven't played their video games, so "Smash fan" is now a perojative term to refer a person who haven't touched video games in their lives.
It's just an obnoxious slang like Scrimblo Bimblo.
I guess I almost qualify for that. I really want the Battletoads but the only games I’ve beaten are Battletoads & Double Dragon and the arcade game. I never made it past stage 4 in any other game. The first three stages are always a lot of fun though. There’s tons of other characters I’d love that I never got too far in their game but I’ve at least played a little from each.

On a related note, I did beat and really enjoyed Super Mario RPG but I barely ever used Geno or Mallow. Mario was mandatory to be in your party and Peach’s healing seemed too good to leave out. That only left me with one option and being able to play as Bowser was just too cool to pass up on. That’s probably why I don’t really have the same affinity for Geno as a lot of Smash fans despite really liking his game.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero

...Okay, jokes aside, it can be tricky to translate turn-based combat to Smash without taking some liberties. What's your problem with how Geno movesets tend to depict him?
Speaking for myself playing Crusade a lot, I have a problem with how they stick an Action Command mechanic on him solely for the sake of representing the RPGs.

It's like making most of his moves need to be L-canceled.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking for myself playing Crusade a lot, I have a problem with how they stick an Action Command mechanic on him solely for the sake of representing the RPGs.

It's like making most of his moves need to be L-canceled.
That sounds like a fun idea for an attack or two but it would probably get kind of annoying if it was overused. I’ve always liked the idea of incorporating the mechanics of a game into one attack but not for the whole moveset unless it leads to fun gameplay that isn’t overly complex. For example, a League of Legends character could have a cooldown on one special but their others would function normally. This way, you have a cool reference without making the character too complicated to play.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

hey we got it. eventually

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I just Played Smash Remix 1.31
and if i got to add Updates its these:

My 1.4
Adds Peach and Zelda (OOT) as Playable Characters
Adds Young links original Smash Remix Appearnce as a costume
adds a Bowsers CAstle Stage

My 1.41
Gives Peach a Daisy Alt and Zelda an ALLTTP (SSBU) Alt

MY 1.5
Adds Pichu (Cause Echo and Meele) and Rob (Cause hes probably the easiest Retro to implement)
adds Bell sprout tower as a stage and a Gyromite stage

My 1.6
Adds Meta Knight and K64 Waddle Dee with a BWD Alt
adds Halberd

My 1.61
Adds 1-2 and the Metroid 2 Planet

My 1.7
Adds a 64 era Fire Emblem Echo Fighter (With a Roy Colour)
Adds a Links Awekening Switch Styled Link alt for Young Link and A Impa Alt For Sheik
Adds a Fire Emblem Stage and A Goron city from OOT

These are some ideas i have iu generally think the N64 era Meele and Brawl chars (the easy to implement ones) should be in Smash remix
Dont take these orders as word of god Execept for Peach, Zelda and the return of OOT Link being first!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I thought it was won't be satisfied without a Konami acquisition? Since that's the one most people don't object to getting acquired.
Oh, trust me: lots of people are okay with lots of companies getting bought out if it means their favorite gets to be at the top. Heck, ecen I'm open to the idea of Nintendo making a buyout or two (as long as they stay reasonable, of course)...

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
Oh, trust me: lots of people are okay with lots of companies getting bought out if it means their favorite gets to be at the top. Heck, ecen I'm open to the idea of Nintendo making a buyout or two (as long as they stay reasonable, of course)...
I don't like the idea of Nintendo buying out other companies because of the implications. Nintendo buying out a developer means that any future game they'd make would be a Nintendo exclusive, which of course screws over their consumer base because they have to buy a Nintendo console if they wanna play those games, but it also means that any new game would have to adhere to Nintendo's dated hardware.

But worse than that, any fan game using that IP would be susceptible to getting C&D'd by Nintendo. Could you imagine what would happen to the Sonic fandom if Nintendo brought the IP and started enforcing the fangame scene?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't like the idea of Nintendo buying out other companies because of the implications. Nintendo buying out a developer means that any future game they'd make would be a Nintendo exclusive, which of course screws over their consumer base because they have to buy a Nintendo console if they wanna play those games, but it also means that any new game would have to adhere to Nintendo's dated hardware.

But worse than that, any fan game using that IP would be susceptible to getting C&D'd by Nintendo. Could you imagine what would happen to the Sonic fandom if Nintendo brought the IP and started enforcing the fangame scene?
Relax, buddy, that's what I meant by "reasonable": companies where the chances of that happening are slim to none. Really, I'm mostly thinking of the likes of IntSys, Hal Labratory, and maybe Game Freak if they can work something out with TPC. Those guys already work with Nintendo a bunch, so them getting bought out wouldn't make THAT big of an impact, would it?

Heck, remember when Nintendo bought Next Level Games? Those guys were already working exclusively for Nintendo, so nothing bad happened when they decided to put a ring on it and make it official. Those kinds of deals are the ones I'm thinking of here.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Funny enough, Capcom and Sega are basically the only two big Japanese game companies that Nintendo doesn't have shares in. They do have shares in Namco Bandai, Square Enix, Konami, and Koei Tecmo though.

I'd rather see Capcom remain independent, but if someone had to buy them out, I'll take anyone but Sony. I don't want to live in a world where Capcom's entire existence is devoted to pumping out Street Fighter DLC and Resident Evil games that follow the "movie game" formula Sony seems to be unable to break with their first party offerings. At least Nintendo would likely give Mega Man a little more love.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Funny enough, Capcom and Sega are basically the only two big Japanese game companies that Nintendo doesn't have shares in. They do have shares in Namco Bandai, Square Enix, Konami, and Koei Tecmo though.
Nintendo has a stake on Kadokawa as well, and that means Daimajin will come to Smash. :4pacman:

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Nintendo is the best video game maker on the face of the Earth.

They could handle anybody's IP if they wanted to, but also they don't really need anybody else's IP since they have more than enough with their own.

That's all for now, thanks.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

They could handle anybody's IP if they wanted to, but also they don't really need anybody else's IP since they have more than enough with their own.

Heck, Nintendo themselves are even aware of that: that's why in the rare cases when they DO buy somebody, they do it for the company itself, rather than whatever IP they may have.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
That's the same way I feel when I see some movesets on Kunio.

Yeah, one of the easiest characters to make a moveset for and there's actually been a few times where somebody made some terrible ideas for a moveset for him.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

It's amazing how many successful and iconic franchises they've built or was built up on their systems.

Aaayei

Smash Cadet
Given past examples, I'd expect Nintendo to sooner acquire someone they've consistently worked in-house with (eg. HAL, Intelligent Systems)than say Sega or Capcom or whatever, but even then acquisitions for them in a general are fairly rare.

And when they do acquisitions, they can get quite weird. Shout-out to one of their more recents being an animation studio.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I still think Nintendo should buck the demand and let Monolith go independent as a flex.

Keep a working relationship with Monolith (like still holding Xenoblade), but let them be free to develop on any platform and for any company they want.

DynamicSmasher

Smash Cadet
Aren't Monolith pretty integrated into Nintendo at this point? I know they helped out with BoTW(which caused Xenoblade 2 to be done with a skeleton crew...), and I think they helped out with Splatoon and Animal Crossing as well. At this point, I'd argue they're less like Platinum or even Gamefreak(who still make games like Tembo the Badass Elephant avaliable on Playstation) and more like one of Nintendo's own internal teams. So I can't really see them letting Monolith just sort of do their own thing.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Aren't Monolith pretty integrated into Nintendo at this point? I know they helped out with BoTW(which caused Xenoblade 2 to be done with a skeleton crew...), and I think they helped out with Splatoon and Animal Crossing as well. At this point, I'd argue they're less like Platinum or even Gamefreak(who still make games like Tembo the Badass Elephant avaliable on Playstation) and more like one of Nintendo's own internal teams. So I can't really see them letting Monolith just sort of do their own thing.
Hey, they started out being under Namco and later Bamco. Maybe they'd relish the opportunity to work with other companies. They'd certainly be in high demand since their technical expertise is among the best in the industry.

And still, letting Monolith go independent as a power move isn't going to stop them from working with Nintendo anyway, especially when Nintendo treated Monolith better than even Namco did back then.

DynamicSmasher

Smash Cadet
Hey, they started out being under Namco and later Bamco. Maybe they'd relish the opportunity to work with other companies. They'd certainly be in high demand since their technical expertise is among the best in the industry.

And still, letting Monolith go independent as a power move isn't going to stop them from working with Nintendo anyway, especially when Nintendo treated Monolith better than even Namco did back then.
That they did. I guess if they somehow found a way to split their teams and still get everything finished, it could potentially work out.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How exactly is letting one of your development studios go independent a power move?

If anything, it implies the opposite.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Alright, here's the moveset for the world famous Geno from Fortnite! That's who everyone was talking about right

For starters they completely redesign him (changing his design to a weird puppet thing), and none of his moves make sense. Why does he turn into a canon? I have to imagine none of these people have played Fortnite.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Alright, here's the moveset for the world famous Geno from Fortnite! That's who everyone was talking about right

For starters they completely redesign him (changing his design to a weird puppet thing), and none of his moves make sense. Why does he turn into a canon? I have to imagine none of these people have played Fortnite.
Not gonna lie as a Fortnite player i didnt see this coming.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

As somebody who unironically wants Fortnite in Smash, you just won Smashboards today.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It would be legit awesome if a future Smash brothers game brings back Kingdom hearts, and then includes Fortnite and SRW.

That way we would have the four biggest gaming crossovers crossing over with themselves.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Alright. Take your like. You earned it. Lmao

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Is there a musical item in BotW? Never played it but I like the Ocarina or the Magic Flute, etc. I awoke this morning humming tunes from WW ... Maybe they could implement music instruments into Link's moveset.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Is there a musical item in BotW? Never played it but I like the Ocarina or the Magic Flute, etc. I awoke this morning humming tunes from WW ... Maybe they could implement music instruments into Link's moveset.
There is a character in the game called Kass. He’s a Rito who plays songs on an accordion that gives Link riddles and hints about the world in the form of songs.

1677763632871.png

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I used to say that Nintendo should buy Rare from the point of view that these two companies had a lot of good cooperation and that when Microsoft bought Rare it brought it down a bit. But when I found out that even though Microsoft bought Rare it had nothing to do with its downfall then it made me think that maybe Nintendo made the right choice NOT to buy Rare.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I used to say that Nintendo should buy Rare from the point of view that these two companies had a lot of good cooperation and that when Microsoft bought Rare it brought it down a bit. But when I found out that even though Microsoft bought Rare it had nothing to do with its downfall then it made me think that maybe Nintendo made the right choice NOT to buy Rare.
While I don’t necessarily think Nintendo should buy RARE at this point, I do think it would be great if they worked out a deal with Microsoft to make all games based on RARE IP multiplatform between X-Box and Nintendo’s consoles. While most of the talent that made the amazing games from the SNES and N64 eras has left, they still have iconic IP that at least I have a lot of nostalgia for. If we can get RARE Replay on the Switch or it’s successor, it would go a long way in raising awareness and hopefully enjoyment and appreciation for their old games and by extension helping the chance that any new game from those IP does well. The Killer Instinct reboot was a huge success despite the lack of budget or marketing. I imagine the games would do even better with a stronger push.

I really don’t understand the hate that so many modern fans have for RARE. Many go so far as to say that their games were never any good. I’m not sure where that sentiment came from. When I was younger, I though their games had a generally positive reception and many were among the most fun experiences I’ve ever had in gaming. Maybe it’s not as many people as I think and it’s just a small group of haters that just post a lot but it’s a little disheartening. Kind of like I was transported to an alternate future reality. Maybe I just didn’t socialize with enough people back then and this was always the sentiment?

Last edited:
Top Bottom