• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't see why Incineroar looking masculine is a problem, especially when there are no gender differences with male and female Incineroar, compared to Pikachu. Same with Greninja, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Jigglypuff and Pichu. Only Lucario has a confirmed gender due to being based on movie Lucario and having a male voice. In Pikachu's case, you can literally choose which gender they are by their alternate costume, whereas with all the others, you can pretty much decide which gender they are.

And I don't see an issue with masculine-looking women if you ask me.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I think we could use something different for a change. Incineroar is pretty masculine looking. How about an Ultra Beast like Buzzwole?

lol jk but Buzzwole would still be pretty cool.
i would have preferred any of the ultra beats over inceneroar

actually id preferred any other gen 7 pokemon but an ultra beast would still have been cool

Stratos

Smash Ace
If Ring Fit Trainee comes as a newcomer to the next Super Smash Bros. game, I want to believe it will not be the end for the Wii Fit Trainer.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Maybe coming in next Super Smash Bros. game the M. Bison or Akuma as newcomer? Of course if Ryu and Ken they coming again.
Chun Li is right there though.
If Ring Fit Trainee comes as a newcomer to the next Super Smash Bros. game, I want to believe it will not be the end for the Wii Fit Trainer.
They would not since Ring Fit combat would automatically make the Trainee a Charge Character, so both would still have a niche.

Stratos

Smash Ace
If Ivan from Devil's Third comes as a newcomer to the next Super Smash Bros. game even though I don't see it happening, would he be considered a 1st, 2nd or 3rd party character? I am writing this because the publisher for Devil's Third at the time was Nintendo, but after a while they released an online version for Microsoft Windows with another publisher the Nexon, therefore a 3rd party character.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i would have preferred any of the ultra beats over inceneroar

actually id preferred any other gen 7 pokemon but an ultra beast would still have been cool
I really wanted Golisopod for a Gen 7 rep. Golisopod is in in my top three favorite Pokémon ever with Gengar and Cofagrigus and would have made an awesome Smash fighter. We don’t have any Bug types yet and very few Water elemental characters. Lycanroc would have been another cool choice. I’m not mad at Incineroar though. Starters are kind of boring in general but I’m a big pro wrestling fan and Smash did a lot to showcase its personality.

As for Street Fighter, I’m personally pulling for Guile or Vega (Claw) but I know they’re both extreme long shots, especially Vega. Those two have always been my favorite characters in the series so it would be awesome to see them in Smash. I was very thankful that Guile at least got an assist trophy and both he and Vega got new remixes for Ultimate.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If Ivan from Devil's Third comes as a newcomer to the next Super Smash Bros. game even though I don't see it happening, would he be considered a 1st, 2nd or 3rd party character? I am writing this because the publisher for Devil's Third at the time was Nintendo, but after a while they released an online version for Microsoft Windows with another publisher the Nexon, therefore a 3rd party character.
3rd party. The Windows thing should've clued you in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really wanted Golisopod for a Gen 7 rep. Golisopod is in in my top three favorite Pokémon ever with Gengar and Cofagrigus and would have made an awesome Smash fighter. We don’t have any Bug types yet and very few Water elemental characters. Lycanroc would have been another cool choice. I’m not mad at Incineroar though. Starters are kind of boring in general but I’m a big pro wrestling fan and Smash did a lot to showcase its personality.
yeah theres a few types missing in smash, and enough pokemon in the game to cover them all

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Garchomp, Froslass and Kleavor would give us Dragon, Ground, Ice, Ghost, Rock and Bug. All our missing types.
And they’re all at least pretty cool Pokémon. Garchomp is one of my favorites from Gen 4 and I’ve always liked Froslass, even if I do still prefer Glalie. Kleavor I’m a bit mixed on but I’d say I still like it overall.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I don't see why Incineroar looking masculine is a problem, especially when there are no gender differences with male and female Incineroar, compared to Pikachu. Same with Greninja, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Jigglypuff and Pichu. Only Lucario has a confirmed gender due to being based on movie Lucario and having a male voice. In Pikachu's case, you can literally choose which gender they are by their alternate costume, whereas with all the others, you can pretty much decide which gender they are.
I think Spiky Ear Pichu (an alt in this game) is a confirmed female Pokémon.

Also I’m not sure if this counts but the Greninja obtained from the Sun and Moon demo is always Male and has the ability to become Ash-Greninja.

That said we don’t know what Gender Ash’s Greninja actually is so the second point could vary.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm actually heavily behind Garchomp. It's a Pokemon that has everlasting popularity, and would make for an awesome Smash fighter too.
Same here. I think it’s probably my favorite of all of the pseudo legendaries (Dragonite, Tyranitar, etc…). The only ones that come close are Metagross and Dragapault but I think I slightly prefer Garchomp to both.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I never got the desire to represent all PKMN types on the playable roster...just pick the best ones and don't worry about the types. Besides, for example, Lucario is Steel-type but doesn't represent at all what a prototypical Steel-type would do. I could understand not wanting like everything to be Fire-type or something, but I don't think having Charizard and Lucario should stop Blaziken from happening, for example.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Garchomp, Froslass and Kleavor would give us Dragon, Ground, Ice, Ghost, Rock and Bug. All our missing types.
To be fair, Ivysaur barely represents the Poison type, Lucario barely represents Steel, and Jigglypuff literally doesn't represent the fairy type (it's been basically unchanged since the type was added). Those three could arguably be counted as needing more "proper" representation.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I never got the desire to represent all PKMN types on the playable roster...just pick the best ones and don't worry about the types. Besides, for example, Lucario is Steel-type but doesn't represent at all what a prototypical Steel-type would do. I could understand not wanting like everything to be Fire-type or something, but I don't think having Charizard and Lucario should stop Blaziken from happening, for example.
well there’s no harm in wanting a bit more variety

To be fair, Ivysaur barely represents the Poison type, Lucario barely represents Steel, and Jigglypuff literally doesn't represent the fairy type (it's been basically unchanged since the type was added). Those three could arguably be counted as needing more "proper" representation.
doesn’t ivysaurs pollen count as poison?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mostly just want to see Pokémon that I like. It’s just a nice bonus if those Pokémon happen to be an unrepresented type. Bringing an underrepresented element among Smash characters in general is nice too. We don’t have any ice characters beyond Ice Climbers, for example.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think Pokemon types need representatives anyway. If the next generation has the Fire starter as the most iconic and popular Pokemon, bring it in yet again. I wouldn't mind. It's also why I always felt the Decidueye support was very forced.
decidueye was genuinely the most popular starter of then gen

Stratos

Smash Ace
You mean like how Chrom and Greninja were the ends for Ike and Lucario?
I mean if they remove the Wii Fit Trainer completely and replace him/her with the Ring Fit Trainee.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Besides being popular, recurring, and marketed, Garchomp is also fairly important in-game (relative to most mons at least), being the signature PKMN of one of the most iconic Champions (which makes it a "final boss" of sorts, or at least gives it an explicit role in the game more than just being a random encounter). Maybe you might consider that a minor point, but it's something.

Gardevoir was almost surely explicitly chosen to be Diantha's main in XY to simultaneously market the Fairy-type and Mega Evolutions, which adds another fairly prominent appearance to being Wally's main in RSE.

You can look at mons like Dragonite, Metagross, or Haxorus as also benefitting from this (again, for however much it is worth).

The bigger thing anyway is that certain mons just get clear marketing and continued relevance favoritism, which makes them better candidates for Smash.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Speaking of Nexon, who do you (personally) think will be the rep for Dungeon Fighter Online in Smash.
For me? No one, because i prefer a MapleStory rep.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Also I’m not sure if this counts but the Greninja obtained from the Sun and Moon demo is always Male and has the ability to become Ash-Greninja.

That said we don’t know what Gender Ash’s Greninja actually is so the second point could vary.
That's true. I forgot about the Ash-Greninja transformation that Greninja does now, considering it didn't use that form for it's Final Smash in 3DS/Wii U.
3 Pokemon from Sinnoh, with Hisui being an older Sinnoh, is not bias how? Like I'm perfectly good with Garchomp, and I'd be okay with Froslass, but like, considering how much complaints there are about Gen 1 bias, how is 3 Pokemon from the same region not also biased?

And while Kleavor is an okay Pokemon, Scizor is my preferred Scyther evolution by far, especially as a big fan of Gen 2 that wants a Pokemon from Johto that isn't related to Pikachu.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ash's is implied to be male due to a couple things (mostly it getting a little ship tease with Serena's Fennekin as a Froakie, who's female), but it's not outright confirmed. That said, it should also be noted that TCPi gave out a Greninja based on Smash's and it always male, so it's a very safe assumption that the one in Smash is meant to be male.

You mean like how Chrom and Greninja were the ends for Ike and Lucario?
In retrospect, it's very funny how that turned out. People were adamant that Ike and Lucario would be cut because Roy and Mewtwo were and there had to be a pattern, but in the end both stayed while their newer counterparts (and even then not quite as Chrom had to wait for Ultimate and Zoroark was passed over for Greninja) were added alongside them. Lucario in particular really stands out as even as early as B2W2 it was clear GF and TCPi weren't anywhere near done with it, yet you had people swear up and down that it was nothing more then a flavor of the month to be tossed aside.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
well there’s no harm in wanting a bit more variety
But more types is not necessarily more variety: there are plenty of mons with the same types as those with PCs Smash that would still bring very unique movesets.
Plus it would just be a straight quota, and not even one that has to do with historical importance or iconicness of the series/games themselves.

--

Also, yeah, Decidueye was the most popular starter of its gen but I think Diddy Kong Diddy Kong was talking about its Smash popularity specifically (how people latched onto the idea just due to wanting a Grass type). I suppose it's a cautionary tale about what can go wrong when choosing characters from unreleased games, though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Exactly. Decidueye might've been popular, but there where lots of people rallying behind it purely cause it was a Grass type. And support also waned quickly afterwards, even if there is a new variation of the Pokemon through the Hissuan version.

Compare that to Garchomp, who's just about as popular now as it was back then.

This is why I'd prefer a new Pokemon as Garchomp over just any 'flavor of the month'. Probably won't happen, as Sakurai stated he always saves up a spot for a new Pokemon basically, but yeah.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
3 Pokemon from Sinnoh, with Hisui being an older Sinnoh, is not bias how? Like I'm perfectly good with Garchomp, and I'd be okay with Froslass, but like, considering how much complaints there are about Gen 1 bias, how is 3 Pokemon from the same region not also biased?
I BARELY give a **** about type coverage since Ultimate spoiled 4's perfection. I give absolutely ZERO ****s about gen coverage.

I don't think Pokemon types need representatives anyway. If the next generation has the Fire starter as the most iconic and popular Pokemon, bring it in yet again. I wouldn't mind. It's also why I always felt the Decidueye support was very forced.
Decidueye WAS more popular and iconic. By your own methods, it should have been chosen over Incineroar.

And support also waned quickly afterwards
Because most people don't want to support a lost cause, which Decidueye became the moment Incineroar was revealed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom