• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If the next game, by some miracle, is an Ultimate Deluxe, besides characters, what other new content would y’all like to see?
Character Changes
-Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset based on Hyrule Warriors Trident Ganondorf. Make Black Shadow Captain Falcon's echo and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
-Replace Mario's FLUDD with Cappy.
-Make each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon a separate Fighter, give every Pokemon except Mewtwo a trainer.
-Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his Echo. Make Roy Marth's Echo.
-Make Mythra into Pyra’s Echo.
-Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.
-Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
-Expand the definition of Echo to include Dr. Mario and Pichu.

Gameplay Features
-Rollback netcode.
-Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
-Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
-Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive play.
-Kirby style Boss Rush mode.
-Bring back the Smash Run map as a Battle Royal. (64 players teleport in. Players run around killing creeps and collecting upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 surviving players have a Smash match.)

Additional Content
-More Characters, Echoes, Bosses, obviously. Preferably from my wishlist.
-Mii Mages.
-Bring back any missing Stages and Assist Trophies that didn't already return.

There is a question, if there is Adventure Mode in the next Super Smash Bros., after Galeem and Dharkon who will be the final boss? None of us can know that.
I just want them to stop making up new OC bosses for each game...

Either reuse the ones they already have, or make the story about the actual video game bosses instead. Make a story where the actual villains and bosses from other series have actually teamed up to try and conquer the worlds of Smash.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Character Changes
-Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset based on Hyrule Warriors Trident Ganondorf. Make Black Shadow Captain Falcon's echo and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
-Replace Mario's FLUDD with Cappy.
-Make each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon a separate Fighter, give every Pokemon except Mewtwo a trainer.
-Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his Echo. Make Roy Marth's Echo.
-Make Mythra into Pyra’s Echo.
-Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.
-Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
-Expand the definition of Echo to include Dr. Mario and Pichu.

Gameplay Features
-Rollback netcode.
-Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
-Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
-Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive play.
-Kirby style Boss Rush mode.
-Bring back the Smash Run map as a Battle Royal. (64 players teleport in. Players run around killing creeps and collecting upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 surviving players have a Smash match.)

Additional Content
-More Characters, Echoes, Bosses, obviously. Preferably from my wishlist.
-Mii Mages.
-Bring back any missing Stages and Assist Trophies that didn't already return.

I just want them to stop making up new OC bosses for each game...

Either reuse the ones they already have, or make the story about the actual video game bosses instead. Make a story where the actual villains and bosses from other series have actually teamed up to try and conquer the worlds of Smash.
I personally think Senator Armstrong works better for Falcondorf but this is basically a sequel… and I like it! Though one question, is there some way to get like two characters in one like Capcom Vs SNK, where you can swap between two characters at the cost of a Down Special. Because that could be fascinating if Transformations were to be removed entirely.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
PT works well for people who have learned to use say, Squirtle to rack damage, saur to ko zard for disrespect/aiding recovery... I also acknowledge that some players just stick to one which works now since they removed fatigue. I'd be okay with having them individually but I'd kinda like to keep the tri-mon thing for those players who have learned to use PT like that. So on the css you toggle through each one or select trainer to play as all 3 kinda thing.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know, in hindsight, it really is funny how adamant people were that Lucario would be cut. Anyone with an average knowledge of Pokemon now, would know he's way too iconic and popular to be seriously considered for a cut.

Ike too really. Quite literally the most popular Fire Emblem character in existence.

Just goes to show how little Smash speculators play the games they talk about.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
it really is funny how adamant people were that Lucario would be cut. Anyone with an average knowledge of Pokemon now, would know he's way too iconic and popular to be seriously considered for a cut.
In their defense, many such people probably also felt that Mewtwo was one of the most iconic and popular mons and yet it was cut in Brawl. But, yeah, there was a lot of trying to draw patterns from a pretty short history.

Ike too really. Quite literally the most popular Fire Emblem character in existence.
At the time I think people were fully expecting an Awakening rep and not expecting at all for FE to have more than a few reps. Given that cuts happened in Brawl, it seemed logical that Ike might get axed. To add to it, Ike's games didn't sell well and weren't recent anymore in a selection cycle where those things quite clearly mattered. And maybe also a lot of people who don't play FE also thought Ike was only popular due to Smash.

--

Plus, on both counts, IIRC a lot of people didn't think 4's roster size was gonna happen and a lot of common thinking was likely (erroneously) being based on a 40ish-character mindset.

--

Hindsight 20/20. Both characters were fortunate to be the big hits that they were, not only in Smash but also in their own respective series. I don't expect either to be cut going forward, as Lucario is the most iconic Sinnoh mon, consistently popular and recurring, while Ike is a landmark figure in the FE fandom (plus his games have aged quite well in terms of reputation, arguably achieving "cult classic" status in the FE and even overall Nintendo communities).

--

I'll agree that the average speculator could benefit greatly from being more informed about the games they're talking about.

And I don't have a problem with people liking certain characters or having favorites, but it's important not to let it bleed too much into your ability to be objective when objectivity is called for.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to play every game or even necessarily every series, though, especially if they just don't like a certain genre. But the more you can familiarize yourself with, well, typically the better.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I do have a question.

How likely do you think a Genshin character is, and how would you feel about one hypothetically getting in?
Again, purely hypothetical. I'd personally think it's not super likely, but definently possible, and I'd be cool with it, though that's just me, heh.
It depends on how popular Genshin continues to be in the future but I feel like a Mihoyo character in general is not implausible. They really became a prominent developer worldwide lately.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know, in hindsight, it really is funny how adamant people were that Lucario would be cut. Anyone with an average knowledge of Pokemon now, would know he's way too iconic and popular to be seriously considered for a cut.

Mewtwo is one of the most iconic and popular Pokemon and he got cut in Brawl.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I feel like we should be getting some news soon, like either this month or next, considering how close to E3-timing we are. I know it's cancelled and all, but June always seems to be the big month for mid-year game announcements regardless, so I doubt Nintendo will be quiet for much longer.

One idea I had for a new Smash game is an idea that would NEVER happen just because of the amount of dev time it would take, but would be fun overall I think: Legacy Smash!

Imagine having an offline mode (or also online, but only in lobbies) where you could play as versions of characters with all their frame data and and hitboxes and moves from previous titles! Mario would have Mario Tornado as his Down-B again, for example. It would have the older models for them as well, and you could even maybe customize things to a limited extend, like having the most updated model for Captain Falcon but he plays like Melee Falcon.

I think this would be a very good thing to advertise and would help market a franchise that already does well, because all the young players who have never touched older Smash titles would have a fun mode to experience what it was like and goof around in it while older players can remind themselves how goofy and wack Smash was in earlier installments with having to rig up the older systems. You could potentially take this even into single player modes if you wanted to.

One of the benefits of this is that you could make MASSIVE changes to older characters on the roster and still have that be the way to play them competitively, but if casuals don't want to play that version of the characters, they can still play the most recent title and get the experience they wants. DarthEnderX DarthEnderX is talking about massive changes to Ganondorf and a big mechanic change to Mario that casuals from earlier installments may absolutely despise, but they would have a mode to go back and play these characters as if the changes never happened.

My belief on why this would be so successful is because competitive players are much less likely to complain about character changes in move sets from game to game as that is par for the course, and it's not very often that a character will be completely reworked without having anything that carries over from the previous title to preserve their identity. If your character gets changes, you either adapt to them and continue on or move to a new character that fits your playstyle better: Thus there is much less of an attachment to individual characters as there is to the competitive grind when it comes to pro players. This idea of Legacy Smash Mode is mostly for casuals who despise anything that makes their favorite character less recognizable or just would like to have a fun nostalgia-ridden romp.

The one issue this would have outside of massive dev time and funds/resources it would take to make such a massive undertaking happen would be that Melee players would be pissed off for sure. This is because the team would almost assuredly use the final versions from the PAL release of Melee that is less broken and more balanced, which would upset the hardcore Melee players who act like the version of Melee they play is superior despite all the jank they have to deal with (or mod out) and rules they have to impose to make it more viable...though I suppose that with current times and signs from Nintendo, they very well COULD go with the versions Melee players herald.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If the next game, by some miracle, is an Ultimate Deluxe, besides characters, what other new content would y’all like to see?
-Smash Run
-The return of Custom Moves , and additional movesets / play styles of existing characters (example say, Mario using Cappy, Samus using Ice Beam, Ganondorf as mage or swordfighter, different versions of Link / Zelda with tweaks)
-Sequel to World of Light or some new adventure mode
-Proper Boss Battle mode

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
"Fair" representation is just coded language for "I dislike that insert new FE character and Pokemon made it in". New stuff getting represented in Smash is inevitable. With almost every first party addition since Melee or at least in Brawl and onward, the characters that get in tend to be ones with stuff going on in their franchises. Sure, you have fan favorites who defy this, but outside of them and your occasional surprise/retro pick, the lions share of characters have been the new hotness at the time. Whining about "outdated" picks being "unfair" is also just ridiculous. Incineroar and Corrin got in the game. Who cares? I would have preferred plenty of Gen 7 pokemon such as Mimikyu or Lycanroc to Incineroar, and you do not see me wishing for him being cut. I would have preferred someone like Elma or another promotional rep to Corrin, but you do not see me whining about Corrin being in the game either. If you are that hurt that Smash's representation is not beholden to your views, you almost certainly have bigger concerns to worry yourself about.

Odds are, the next game, even if it has cuts, will probably have cuts in the single digits at worst. You will not see a vast swath of characters get thanos snapped out of the roster. You will not see Nintendo revert to a glory era of "Nintendo All Stars only" that never really existed. The next Smash game will likely end up being similar to Ultimate in the sense that it has a large amount of re used content. They revamped almost half the stages from the ground up in HD, a good chunk of those will be ported at least. They probably won't end up drastically revamping too many characters at the end of the day either. Most likely, we will probably get ~12-14 newcomers at the end of the day now that they do not have to make anyone from the ground up again like they did for the cut vets, a few new stages pushing titles from the Switch era, and almost certainly more DLC in the future. But at the end of the day, Smash is most likely not going to rock the boat. Ultimate's sales were huge, why rock the boat with a total reboot?

Here are a few things I would want.
  • Improved online. While being able to make lobbies is certainly a step in the right direction, the netcode leaves a lot to be desired. While idk if rollback will be the industry staple still when the next smash comes out, something needs to improve.
  • Better Patch Notes. The patch notes in Ult were a step in the right direction from Smash 4's, but I would prefer if the language was more concise and easier to approach.
  • Individual Break the Targets returns. One of my favorite parts of Melee is that Target Test felt like each one was designed around your char's strengths and weaknesses. I would love to see that come back.
  • Beefed up Race to the Finish. We kind of got this back, but I would love for it to get the variety in routes it had in Melee. Make it longer and not just one tunnel.
  • Proper Boss Battles mode.
  • WoL sequel, but perhaps with a few more Boss Battles mixed in. The boss fights were great to help break up the onslaught of Spirit Battles. I was fine that the story was not SSE 2, but having more Boss Fights would be awesome, especially to show off more of gaming's history
  • A proper All Star Mode. I hated how All Star became reduced to just another survival gauntlet like 100 Man Smash. I would prefer something similar to the methods we have seen in the past. You can do it by fighter number, age of the character, franchise, or random, just give me that classic all star with a rest area.
  • Hazard Toggle on the stage select screen. I want to be able to swap stages hazards on or off without needing a new ruleset.
  • And finally, diversify the final bosses at the end of Classic routes. With more boss fights it could help so you do not fight the hands almost 80%+ of the time. Not everyone should get a Giga Bowser or Ganon, but more characters getting not the hands at the end of their classic mode would be a nice touch. I love the fact that classic modes are character themed, flavor wise its on point.
I do have a question.

How likely do you think a Genshin character is, and how would you feel about one hypothetically getting in?
Again, purely hypothetical. I'd personally think it's not super likely, but definently possible, and I'd be cool with it, though that's just me, heh.
I actually think Genshin is quite likely for the next game so long as it does not die. The game is huge in Japan. The switch port is coming soon and that will only make it more popular. I may not like Genshin much at all, but its already massive and if it does not get smaller I can easily see it being in the next Smash. Its on my short list of predictions along with a League char showing up.

The reactions if a Genshin character gets in though will be hella toxic though.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Odds are, the next game, even if it has cuts, will probably have cuts in the single digits at worst.
If anything, at most I’d see about 10-15 out of the 89 characters getting cut, not something like 30.

I imagine that was more so because of time constraints; there’s evidence he was meant to be come back.
Yup, that is true.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I’m going to go over my cut predictions if the next game isn’t a reboot:
Cloud
Sephiroth
Incineroar
Zero Suit Samus
Every Konami Character
Sora
Corrin
Roy
Lucina and Chrom.
Pichu
Pokémon Trainer
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Toon Link
Falco
Palutena
Thanks basically it.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Cloud
Sephiroth
Incineroar
Zero Suit Samus
Every Konami Character
Sora
Corrin
Roy
Lucina and Chrom.
Pichu
Pokémon Trainer
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Toon Link
Falco
Palutena
Thanks basically it.
might I ask your thinking behind, palutena and jr?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Cloud
Sephiroth
Incineroar
Zero Suit Samus
Every Konami Character
Sora
Corrin
Roy
Lucina and Chrom.
Pichu
Pokémon Trainer
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Toon Link
Falco
Palutena
Thanks basically it.
I can live with all of those other than Cloud and Sephiroth. I’m really hoping they stay because Sephiroth is my favorite character in Smash.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Cloud
Sephiroth
Incineroar
Zero Suit Samus
Every Konami Character
Sora
Corrin
Roy
Lucina and Chrom.
Pichu
Pokémon Trainer
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Toon Link
Falco
Palutena
Thanks basically it.
I know that in order for new characters to come, some veteran characters have to leave because the next Super Smash Bros. game can not fit so many, but I'm okay with any character.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
"Fair" representation is just coded language for "I dislike that insert new FE character and Pokemon made it in".
Sorry that my comment about "fairness" happened to be made in the context of a Pokemon discussion, but no, it's not just about Pokemon and FE. Attempting to reduce it to just that would be a disservice to all the other series like Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, etc. that could use different and/or more representation also. We could even talk about whether or not it is fair to treat WarioWare the way they have so far, for example. Pokemon and FE just generate the most discussion when it comes their process for choosing characters.

I hope you know that PKMN and FE are among my most-played series (and yes, I have played and enjoyed the newer ones), so this isn't just some elaborate way to bring everything back to those two in particular.

I asked you not to characterize arguments like that, at least for myself, but it also goes for others. If you want to accuse anyone of "whining" or losing their cool, then please actually be specific and quote them. At least then it can be defended or potentially owned up to. Simply attacking what you perceive from somebody's tone, especially in written writing, is not really an effective way to discredit the actual content of what's being said, anyway; it's a cheap way to undermine the argument without actually facing it head-on.

New stuff getting represented in Smash is inevitable. With almost every first party addition since Melee or at least in Brawl and onward, the characters that get in tend to be ones with stuff going on in their franchises. Sure, you have fan favorites who defy this, but outside of them and your occasional surprise/retro pick, the lions share of characters have been the new hotness at the time.
I mean, yeah, recent games have naturally always been favored. It will very likely continue that way to a fairly large extent.
I've just done my best to explain what I don't like about certain aspects or outcomes of it, what could have or can be done better in my opinion, and there's no reason to try to shut down that valid discussion.
Asking for older Pokemon/FE/Zelda/whatever characters and giving arguments for their merits, particularly in comparison to the alternatives from their respective series, is not "whining," nor is it being unrealistic when aspects of likelihood aren't even major parts of those arguments/discussions. Not all discussion is going to revolve around likelihood.

Odds are, the next game, even if it has cuts, will probably have cuts in the single digits at worst. You will not see a vast swath of characters get thanos snapped out of the roster. You will not see Nintendo revert to a glory era of "Nintendo All Stars only" that never really existed. The next Smash game will likely end up being similar to Ultimate in the sense that it has a large amount of re used content. They revamped almost half the stages from the ground up in HD, a good chunk of those will be ported at least. They probably won't end up drastically revamping too many characters at the end of the day either. Most likely, we will probably get ~12-14 newcomers at the end of the day now that they do not have to make anyone from the ground up again like they did for the cut vets, a few new stages pushing titles from the Switch era, and almost certainly more DLC in the future. But at the end of the day, Smash is most likely not going to rock the boat. Ultimate's sales were huge, why rock the boat with a total reboot?
You've said all of this before; is there anything you'd add in response to recent discussions? Point it out if I'm wrong, but I don't see any substantial new arguments here.

I presume you're basing most of this on historical precedent or patterns, namely not having a ton of cut content in the past, not having too many revamped movesets in the past, or Sakurai considering third parties in games before they actually got in. I get it that you think the most likely next game is a port of Ultimate, which may end up being the case, but what about after that, when a port is no longer a viable option? Even if we end up getting a port, the discussed issues over cuts is not going to go away and will simply apply to the next game after said port. What happens when you have a ground-up game after Ultimate with absolutely no precedent for carrying over a content pool so large? Clearly, Ultimate was a special and likely unrepeatable situation beyond the potential for a short-term, get-me-over port; I don't think the history of cuts and moveset revamps is going to be entirely applicable once we get far enough away from Ultimate's original release. Maybe Sakurai's tendencies would carry over, but we don't even know the extent to which he'll be involved and even he would potentially have to make some tough decisions.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

This. And it's annoying. Especially the Fire Emblem part. It's a huge franchise now and if you actually actively hate it because of Smash, you're missing out first of all and second you're just a bitter sorry piece of buttocks.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This. And it's annoying. Especially the Fire Emblem part. It's a huge franchise now and if you actually actively hate it because of Smash, you're missing out first of all and second you're just a bitter sorry piece of buttocks.
what about those of us who’ve been enjoying FE games but aren’t happy with the character selection in smash?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Cloud
Sephiroth
Incineroar
Zero Suit Samus
Every Konami Character
Sora
Corrin
Roy
Lucina and Chrom.
Pichu
Pokémon Trainer
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Toon Link
Falco
Palutena
Thanks basically it.
It's hard to imagine Toon Link being cut only for Young Link to stay, considering how the former is a significantly more prominent and popular design. Actually, cut clones in general feel too random. Daisy and every single FE clone gone without any reason?

I also consider Bowser Jr., Palutena, and Falco as mainstays at this point but that's just me.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Cloud
Sephiroth
Incineroar
Zero Suit Samus
Every Konami Character
Sora
Corrin
Roy
Lucina and Chrom.
Pichu
Pokémon Trainer
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Toon Link
Falco
Palutena
I could see every single one of these getting cut. If PT is cut, then I would guess Charizard would still have a good chance to come back as a standalone, as he did in 4.

And, really, I think basically all of these are at least justifiable cuts, besides Charizard if he didn't come back solo. Personally I would also keep Bowser Jr. and Daisy if it was up to me. The rest I actually...would be basically fine with being cut.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
what about those of us who’ve been enjoying FE games but aren’t happy with the character selection in smash?
I would fit into that group. I’m a big Fire Emblem fan but I find most of the lords after Awakening to be pretty boring, especially for Smash characters. It’s just hard for me to get excited about silent avatar #XX when there are so many more interesting characters to choose from. That’s one reason I don’t support Crono more than I do despite Chrono Trigger possibly being my favorite game ever. Not that I wouldn’t still be happy but any other CT character would be much cooler to me, especially Magus, Frog, or Ayla.

That being said, I’m not really upset with the FE roster we have and it’s understandable how we ended up with what we did. A lot of the characters were easy clones, which is perfectly fine. The others are the main protagonists, which make logical sense to add, I just find them a bit boring personally. They’re still fun to play at least.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
It's hard to imagine Toon Link being cut only for Young Link to stay, considering how the former is a significantly more prominent and popular design. Actually, cut clones in general feel too random. Daisy and every single FE clone gone without any reason?

I also consider Bowser Jr., Palutena, and Falco as mainstays at this point but that's just me.
I’m thinking that the ones who stay would be upgraded like Falco and Ganondorf did. As for Young Link over Toon Link, I feel like Toon Link has been retired, while Young Link is from Ocarina. I mostly cut the clones to free up space. As for Jr, Palutena, and Falco, I feel like they’ll just be caught in the crossfire lol. That and they seem easy enough to sell as DLC. Also forgot to add that I think Sheik’s Gone too lol.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would fit into that group. I’m a big Fire Emblem fan but I find most of the lords after Awakening to be pretty boring, especially for Smash characters. It’s just hard for me to get excited about silent avatar #XX when there are so many more interesting characters to choose from. That’s one reason I don’t support Crono more than I do despite Chrono Trigger possibly being my favorite game ever. Not that I wouldn’t still be happy but any other CT character would be much cooler to me, especially Magus, Frog, or Ayla.

That being said, I’m not really upset with the FE roster we have and it’s understandable how we ended up with what we did. A lot of the characters were easy clones, which is perfectly fine. The others are the main protagonists, which make logical sense to add, I just find them a bit boring personally. They’re still fun to play at least.
i just find them boring and i just cant enjoy playing as characters i find boring. i used to think hero was quite interesting but then i tried DQ8 and couldnt bring myself to play him anymore. im certainly of the thinking that corrin and byleth are among the least interesting characters in their games

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m thinking that the ones who stay would be upgraded like Falco and Ganondorf did. As for Young Link over Toon Link, I feel like Toon Link has been retired, while Young Link is from Ocarina. I mostly cut the clones to free up space. As for Jr, Palutena, and Falco, I feel like they’ll just be caught in the crossfire lol. That and they seem easy enough to sell as DLC. Also forgot to add that I think Sheik’s Gone too lol.
Aww, Sheik was another favorite of mine but I guess it’s understandable since she’s not exactly relevant to the series. That’s one more reason I wish she was never separated from Zelda though. I’d accept losing Sheik if I could get Hyrule Warriors Impa in her place.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Characters I predict to not make the cut next game:

The Square gang, with sole exception of maybe Hero
The Konami gang
Sora (belongs to the Square gang I feel but needed to explicitly say this)
Corrin
Lucas
Sheik
Young Link
Maybe even Ganondorf , big maybe though
Maybe Toon Link even (my ideal version of Link is an amalgamation of all 3 Links we've had, basically adult BotW Link with more speed less weight)
Robin, maybe
Wii Fit Trainer
Incineroar
Piranha Plant
Pichu
Pokemon Trainer except for Charizard
Maybe Jigglypuff even, but doubtful
Echoes that are not relevant as Dark Samus and Dark Pit

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Why is everyone predicting the Square characters are getting cut? They seemed like very popular inclusions and I feel like Square could really use the publicity with how infrequently they release huge mainstream games. I feel like people might be exaggerating how difficult they are to work with.

I can’t imagine Ganondorf being cut. He’s the main antagonist of one of Nintendo’s most iconic series. It would really suck to lose both of my mains in Ganondorf and Sephiroth so I hope that doesn’t happen.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why is everyone predicting the Square characters are getting cut? They seemed like very popular inclusions and I feel like Square could really use the publicity with how infrequently they release huge mainstream games. I feel like people might be exaggerating how difficult they are to work with.

I can’t imagine Ganondorf being cut. He’s the main antagonist of one of Nintendo’s most iconic series. It would really suck to lose both of my mains in Ganondorf and Sephiroth so I hope that doesn’t happen.
Mostly because of the rumors that Sony is gonna buy Square Enix.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Characters I predict to not make the cut next game:

The Square gang, with sole exception of maybe Hero
The Konami gang
Sora (belongs to the Square gang I feel but needed to explicitly say this)
Corrin
Lucas
Sheik
Young Link
Maybe even Ganondorf , big maybe though
Maybe Toon Link even (my ideal version of Link is an amalgamation of all 3 Links we've had, basically adult BotW Link with more speed less weight)
Robin, maybe
Wii Fit Trainer
Incineroar
Piranha Plant
Pichu
Pokemon Trainer except for Charizard
Maybe Jigglypuff even, but doubtful
Echoes that are not relevant as Dark Samus and Dark Pit
I could see almost all of these being cut as well.

Maybe it would be odd to cut the rest of the Square reps but keep Hero? They did market DQ on Switch quite a bit tho IIRC. Could see that one going either way, unless of course Square pulls out completely for whatever reason.
Ganondorf I think would only be cut if we actually got some sort of revamped Ganon/Ganondorf moveset in place of it. But he was barely in Melee and only revealed fairly late for 4 IIRC, which could have been evidence of lower priority.
I don't think Robin or Wii Fit Trainer will be cut. I can elaborate more if you want.
Jigglypuff has a history of low priority. Could be finally cut despite getting grandfathered thus far.
Being a "cloneable ballot character" could help Dark Samus stay, but it could also be viewed as superfluous. I think it is more likely than Chrom to return, given the relative states of the Metroid/FE rosters and the fact that cutting Roy could spell doom for Chrom.

Laniv

Smash Lord
The characters I think are in danger of getting cut

Pichu
Young Link
Snake
Greninja
Cloud
Corrin
Incineroar
Piranha Plant
Joker
Byleth
Sephiroth
Sora

and then maybe Simon and Richter, and Roy and Chrom

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

Rumors of Sony buying Square and the fact that Final Fantasy is a copyright nightmare to begin with.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I could see almost all of these being cut as well.

Maybe it would be odd to cut the rest of the Square reps but keep Hero? They did market DQ on Switch quite a bit tho IIRC. Could see that one going either way, unless of course Square pulls out completely for whatever reason.
Ganondorf I think would only be cut if we actually got some sort of revamped Ganon/Ganondorf moveset in place of it. But he was barely in Melee and only revealed fairly late for 4 IIRC, which could have been evidence of lower priority.
I don't think Robin or Wii Fit Trainer will be cut. I can elaborate more if you want.
Jigglypuff has a history of low priority. Could be finally cut despite getting grandfathered thus far.
Being a "cloneable ballot character" could help Dark Samus stay, but it could also be viewed as superfluous. I think it is more likely than Chrom to return, given the relative states of the Metroid/FE rosters and the fact that cutting Roy could spell doom for Chrom.
Robin was a big maybe, he's actually a big deal in Awakening but not a low effort Echo with huge popularity as Lucina and Chrom, who are more the poster children (or poster father and daughter HAR HAR HAR) of Awakening.

There was also the comment Sakurai made in the past about Robin being a character choice because of perfect timing, and if Awakening didn't come out around the time of Smash 4's roster being decided, Robin might not have made it.

Wii Fit Trainer is not a very popular character, and we haven't had a Wii Fit on Switch, where you'd think the massive succes would've secured a new one, also all the games being based of it.

Ganondorf is a very big maybe, and I could see him being replaced with a potential humanoid Calamity Ganon, something we've seen in Age of Calamity for example. Would be the ideal way to finally have a unique Ganon on the roster.

I'm thinking Roy will stay because of massive popularity and because I could see Fire Emblem 6 being remade some day.

Another character I think will be cut are Ice Climbers. They weren't in Smash 4, and they're very technical to program, not too popular and thus could be seen as not worth all the hassle.

Joker too by the way, I just forgot him completely

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
The characters I think are in danger of getting cut

Pichu
Young Link
Snake
Greninja
Cloud
Corrin
Incineroar
Piranha Plant
Joker
Byleth
Sephiroth
Sora

and then maybe Simon and Richter, and Roy and Chrom
Yeah basically all of these are in danger, though I think Greninja's lasting popularity makes it more likely to come back and I also think Three Houses' performance will keep Byleth around (though we'll have to see how it ages compared to Awakening and Fates).

Also, points for mentioning Joker as a potential cut.

Robin was a big maybe, he's actually a big deal in Awakening but not a low effort Echo with huge popularity as Lucina and Chrom, who are more the poster children (or poster father and daughter HAR HAR HAR) of Awakening.

There was also the comment Sakurai made in the past about Robin being a character choice because of perfect timing, and if Awakening didn't come out around the time of Smash 4's roster being decided, Robin might not have made it.

Wii Fit Trainer is not a very popular character, and we haven't had a Wii Fit on Switch, where you'd think the massive succes would've secured a new one, also all the games being based of it.

Ganondorf is a very big maybe, and I could see him being replaced with a potential humanoid Calamity Ganon, something we've seen in Age of Calamity for example. Would be the ideal way to finally have a unique Ganon on the roster.

I'm thinking Roy will stay because of massive popularity and because I could see Fire Emblem 6 being remade some day.
It is fair to say that before Robin was revealed for Smash, Chrom and Lucina were the bigger characters. That should be considered. I think there's just been a general attitude change towards avatar-type characters, though, since the likes of Villager, the FE avatars, and (to a lesser extent) Inkling have made it in. I also remember the Sakurai comment about timing; but I don't know how seriously we should take that at this point, and Awakening's legacy has held up very well, so I think at least one of the trio of Robin/Lucina/Chrom will stay. I guess there could be a scenario where representing Awakening with only one rep becomes necessary and Lucina is just the easier deal. You make fair arguments overall on this front, however.

Wii Fit originally got in due to sales and relevancy; it also represents the overall "casual gaming" fad in the Wii/DS era. So it is fair to say that it would probably be lower priority now than it was when it was first chosen. It's kind of weird to think of it as a "legacy" character now, but I think it will stay due to that legacy and the fact that it is a fighter unlike any other on the roster who expanded people's ideas of what can be added to Smash. Plus removing the sole rep for an entire first party series that had mega sales in its heyday will probably not be taken too lightly.
But you're right that it's not 100% safe.

Ganondorf, well, that's a tricky situation in general and I could see it going so many ways that it almost seems most likely that he would just return as a clone again, as disappointing as that would be for many...

Roy is pretty popular but not quite in the Lyn/Ike tier and has a history of, well, actually being cut. I know he was seemingly worked on for Brawl and eventually made it into 4, but things are only going to get more difficult to stay from here on out. I could also see FE6 getting remade, which would help him some, but just the one remake might not be enough given that remakes rarely seem to put people on the PC roster (plus said remake is definitely not a sure thing at this point).

Top Bottom