• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Dukefire

Smash Master
Hope they have more info on Splatoon 3 and BOTW 2. Any other games are welcome in my book as long the game appeals my interests.

Kirby is coming next month, so I can say that a new trailer is due. MP4 may have to wait until summer or fall to give a preview. Another trailer covering more on Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If I understand the current situation over prime 4 they will most likely not mention it at all simply because they don't to make any more promises they can't guarantee. But maybe they'll surprise me and have an actual update worth mentioning.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the new FE game tho.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If I understand the current situation over prime 4 they will most likely not mention it at all simply because they don't to make any more promises they can't guarantee. But maybe they'll surprise me and have an actual update worth mentioning.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the new FE game tho.
Is there actual confirmation of a new Fire Emblem game? I’ll probably get that since I’m a fan of the series. It’s been long enough since Three Houses that a new game seems plausible.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Is there actual confirmation of a new Fire Emblem game? I’ll probably get that since I’m a fan of the series. It’s been long enough since Three Houses that a new game seems plausible.
So far, only a rumor of three games in development; a remake, a new game and a spin-off. Nothing confirmed, though.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Lol no. Well nothing any more reliable than rumors. I just think a new FE is more plausible than prime 4 but I'm mainly being pessimistic.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's only rumors for now, alongside "Xenoblade 3" and "Mario Kart 9". Like those 3 have been on the "rumors" list for a while now. Considering the Directs this early year mainly focus on titles coming out within the first half, I wouldn't put high hopes into seeing all 3 of them, let alone have a big focus on games coming out at the later half of the year, unless they are very short teasers.

Cause if Mario Kart 9 were to come out this year, it would most definitely be during the holidays and Black Friday/etc.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I always hope for a dead IP to be brought back.

F-Zero with added guests Chibi Robo and Starfy.

Sukapon for ARMS 2!

For what it's worth, the biggest non-rumor tell that Fire Emblem will happen this year is that (in Japan) Fire Emblem has never gone more than three years without a new game since 1990. In that sense, a new game is primed to show up at any moment. Also, the FE team at IS hasn't released a game of their own since 2017 (Koei Tecmo did most of Three Houses), though if rumors are to be believed, that's because they had to scrap a 3DS game they were working on, and they restarted the project for the Switch. Koei Tecmo supposedly added personnel to their FE team, and as such should be able to get more done in less time. It would be plausible for either team to have something to show this year, so the odds are pretty high.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I just found out about the Direct...

Getting this out of the way: more info on Kirby (but not too much more), next Fire Emblem game, MAYBE Xenoblade 3 (it feels like I'm ALWAYS predicting that), possibly another Wii U port, and no Smash.

Because that's it. No Smash.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Although the Pokémon Legends: Arceus was released a bit recently, I think that in the summer we will also learn news about the 9th generation of Pokémon series.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For the first time in four years, a Direct is incoming with no potential for Smash news.

This is a weird feeling.

Looking forward to what we might see, though. Especially if the Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade rumors hold up.
Yeah, I’m definitely still looking forward to it but it’s hard to have the same amount of hype and excitement without the possibility of a new Smash character. That was always my favorite part of every Direct.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
If there aren't going to be any Smash game news, then I guess...maybe some Smash content in Kirby?

I always wonder why the Smash ability isn't in Kirby Fighters. Makes a heck of a lot of sense. I'd love to see more Smash content in Kirby games until we do get some news on the Smash series.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If there aren't going to be any Smash game news, then I guess...maybe some Smash content in Kirby?

I always wonder why the Smash ability isn't in Kirby Fighters. Makes a heck of a lot of sense. I'd love to see more Smash content in Kirby games until we do get some news on the Smash series.
Probably the SMASH ability may return. Though, I do not know if the dodge and guard mechanic have returned for this 3D title.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
But how much would you lose it if the Direct started with

anyway?
I think my whole body would be completely still if I saw that.

Probably the SMASH ability may return. Though, I do not know if the dodge and guard mechanic have returned for this 3D title.
It probably wouldn't but the moveset would be good enough for me.

I just like to look at some of the Kirby characters' moveset to get a good idea of how other characters would play in Smash. I'm still disappointed about the lack of Ryu Hayabusa but Ninja Kirby happens to have some of the same attacks he has in his own games, So I just imagine that Kirby used his Copy Ability on Hayabusa and gained his attacks.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion

anyway?
Then, the screen goes all-purple, and a little girl voice says: "Ha! do you we're expecting some lanky, purple guy whose name starts with W? well, think again."
NEPTUNE, BREAKS THE WALLS!
We will see some moveset footage, and Planeptune (her home stage. And like the KOF Stadium, there will be cameos from not only other Neptunia characters, but from other Idea Factory franchises).

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Hyperdimension Neptunia

© 2018 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / Mojang AB / Disney / Idea Factory

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Some release dates for amiibo would be nice. Spirit Events are in general on a Tuesday if any still are left, so the Direct wouldn't be the place for them.

I'm expecting a lot more non-Smash stuff in comparison.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For a long while, the next smash bros game won't be announced until the next console is completed. Seeing as A LOT of people will come flocking due to the series's reputation.

Also, what weapon would you be using in Splatoon 3? I may take either blaster or dualies (if they are coming back) depending on their fixed kit.

Dukefire

Smash Master

anyway?
Yeah, I would go bonkers if that happened. Still, the flames have died out after Sora, so I don't have any fuel left.

Also, bring up Silvagunner just makes me post one of his videos.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I won't lie; I'd love a cheap Echo Fighter's Pass. Obviously it can't be free outright, but being a single package deal would be neat. Shadow, Dixie Kong, Octolings, for a few examples.

Sadly it won't happen, but they didn't use Echo Fighters enough, imo. I do hope next game they take each Echo Fighter that's almost identical to the regular character and give them a few changes. They don't need to major either(like Lucina, Chrom, or Ken, who all have enough uniqueness in general), but enough that there's some tangible difference. Dark Samus is pretty close to this by having only electrical moves. Richter could use a bit more. Daisy's the most awkward one, as she'd need an entirely new set of aerial moves if she lost the float, which is a bit much to change. But getting rid of the Toads would be good, and just giving her a new neutral B is enough. Just having different hurtboxes are new taunts/slight animation changes isn't enough at that point.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Trust me, the mere announcement of a Direct made everybody forget...
Sure it helps, but I don't think a mere Direct has the exact same ability to distract people from Nintendo's scummery as the announcement of a Smash fighter.

I don't think GilvaSunner's takedown means there'll be FP3 or whatever. It'd just be funny if a new fighter got announced tomorrow anyway, given what's happen recently.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
On the 0.000001% chance that we get some kind of Smash announcement beyond amiibos, that'd definitely be at the end of the Direct.

I will also be setting up my Genealogy of the Holy War shrine to manifest an FE4 remake into reality.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
On the 0.000001% chance that we get some kind of Smash announcement beyond amiibos, that'd definitely be at the end of the Direct.

I will also be setting up my Genealogy of the Holy War shrine to manifest an FE4 remake into reality.
And receive an international release of the OG Genealogy in the NSO.
INB4 "Yeah, just like we got the Super NES Shin Megami Tensei games when Nocturne HD and SMTV we're released".

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Lots of talk about several titles I've never heard of (Triangle something?) or care about (Goldeneye lol no) but I'll agree with their pick of Kirby definitely gonna get some talk.
Triangle Strategy actually looks really cool to me. If you like Fire Emblem, it looks very similar to that but with graphics like Octopath Traveller (since it’s made by the same team). I’m sorry to hear that you don’t care about GoldenEye. I had such a blast playing that game with my brother and friends back on the N64. It was an amazing game for its time even if it may not have aged well. I’d be excited to play it again after all these years.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Goldeneye in reality may not hold up as well as people remember it from many years ago, but it will be noteworthy to get that game just because of its long and bumpy history of attempted re-releases and plans that fell through. Not to mention finally getting all the disparate license holders on the same page since that game is basically legal hell to work with.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Triangle Strategy actually looks really cool to me. If you like Fire Emblem, it looks very similar to that but with graphics like Octopath Traveller (since it’s made by the same team). I’m sorry to hear that you don’t care about GoldenEye. I had such a blast playing that game with my brother and friends back on the N64. It was an amazing game for its time even if it may not have aged well. I’d be excited to play it again after all these years.
I loved it back in the day but only for multiplayer and alas no one to play with.... Unless! They make it net playable in which case I'll do a total 180 and play the f out of it haha.

Top Bottom