• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Sure it helps, but I don't think a mere Direct has the exact same ability to distract people from Nintendo's scummery as the announcement of a Smash fighter.

I don't think GilvaSunner's takedown means there'll be FP3 or whatever. It'd just be funny if a new fighter got announced tomorrow anyway, given what's happen recently.
Really because it seems that everyone has already forgotten

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I know it's almost definitely not happening, but I'd love it if we got Virtual Console again. Or if they don't call it that, just some method of being able to BUY games that've been released on NSO and download them for offline use. Also, Game Boy games with Super Game Boy function included.

Not gonna get my hopes up for any major Smash news, though maybe we can hope to see more Amiibo announcements. Though I wonder if the announcement of new Spirit Board events is within possibility..... not that they've ever used a Direct to point to them before (at least not to my recollection), but at this point in time, it would make for a nice way of reassuring people that new content is still coming to Ultimate (as relatively minor as new Spirits may be).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I loved it back in the day but only for multiplayer and alas no one to play with.... Unless! They make it net playable in which case I'll do a total 180 and play the f out of it haha.
One thing I think goes under appreciated these days is how great GoldenEye’s soundtrack was. Pretty much every RARE game from back in the day had amazing music, from Battletoads, DKC, Killer Instinct, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, and more.

That’s one thing I feel is lacking in FPS games since then. Most other FPS games I’ve played mostly use ambience rather than catchy songs. GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, and Turok 2 are great examples of really good soundtracks in FPS games.

Here’s my favorite GoldenEye song and one of my favorite N64 songs in general:

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
One thing I think goes under appreciated these days is how great GoldenEye’s soundtrack was. Pretty much every RARE game from back in the day had amazing music, from Battletoads, DKC, Killer Instinct, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, and more.

That’s one thing I feel is lacking in FPS games since then. Most other FPS games I’ve played mostly use ambience rather than catchy songs. GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, and Turok 2 are great examples of really good soundtracks in FPS games.

OMG yes haha now I'm remembering the chase-alec-trevelyan-forever part god that is a hard game. My buddy was the one to unlock all the insane accomplishments cause I just couldn't... But thanks to him we got to play as oddjob with Golden Guns lol or Jaws with moonrakers

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

You will love Halo music if you are looking for uniqueness.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You will love Halo music if you are looking for uniqueness.
I’ve never owned an X-Box other than a 360 for a short time to play JRPG’s so I never got the chance to play Halo. For some reason, after the N64, I kind of fell out of FPS games as a whole. I’ve played a few here and there with friends but didn’t really get fully invested in any until Borderlands 2. It’s weird because I played and enjoyed so many on the N64 like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Turok 1 and 2, Hexen, Doom 64, and Duke Nukem 64. It’s weird to me that I mostly just dropped the genre after that.

With Sony’s recent abandonment of Japanese games, I might actually buy a Series X over a PS5 this Gen. I’m still waiting to see how all these acquisitions play out before I make a decision. If I end up getting an X-Box, I wouldn’t mind trying Halo for the campaign (I suck at competitive online games). I hear a lot of praise for Halo’s soundtrack but I’ve never actually listened to any of it. I’d be excited to play and judge for myself how it stacks up to the great N64 OSTs.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

This is a good list of Sony development teams. Alas only 2 Japanese ones. I'm guessing their Japanese fanbase will have to rely on third party developers for games they prefer though I don't exactly know what that is.

On another note anyone watch the direct? I am at work and would like a tldr version cause I'm lazy.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

This is a good list of Sony development teams. Alas only 2 Japanese ones. I'm guessing their Japanese fanbase will have to rely on third party developers for games they prefer though I don't exactly know what that is.

On another note anyone watch the direct? I am at work and would like a tldr version cause I'm lazy.
I don’t think it starts until 5 PM here but I plan to watch it if I get back home in time.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Apparently, Sony is among the top 6 when it comes to video game companies that own multiple teams, though I don't remember exactly what that meant. The other five were Embracer Group, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Take-Two, and I believe Tencent? Honestly, I don't remember the last one...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Apparently, Sony is among the top 6 when it comes to video game companies that own multiple teams, though I don't remember exactly what that meant. The other five were Embracer Group, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Take-Two, and I believe Tencent? Honestly, I don't remember the last one...
Yeah Tencent's pretty massive... Ubisoft! Here I am thinking they're next on the acquisition rollercoaster.

Edit

Oooo maybe we'll get an NSO announcement tonight.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Yeah Tencent's pretty massive... Ubisoft! Here I am thinking they're next on the acquisition rollercoaster.

Edit

Oooo maybe we'll get an NSO announcement tonight.
Given the rumors, we might just get Earthbound and Earthbound Zero on the online service.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't someone earlier in the thread talking about having Every Course Is Here in Mario Kart? Not sure if 48 will cover all of them (especially with Tour thrown into the mix), but it sure is making strides to get there. Also, I wonder if the fact that they decided to update 8DX after all instead of just releasing 9 is a telling sign of what could eventually come to Smash.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still not interested in Mario Kart unless they add Diddy as a driver.

XenoBlade 3 looks amazing though. Am also glad with the new Mario Strikers , had tons of fun with that game in the past. Fire Emblem Warriors also is something I really should've expected, and I wanna play it badly too! Shame no new mainline game, but this will do.

It was a good Direct.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah well the Mario Kart 8 DX expansion is very cool and makes way more sense than the Mario Kart 9 spec. I'm looking forward to that and the return of Strikers. I think Kirby's going to get paid DLC so I'm going to wait until that comes out before going in on that.

I think it was kind of funny how obviously desperate Nintendo is for that Wii Sports money haha. It's not like they definitely won't necessarily get it either.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay, the MK8 news was by far the most hype announcement for me.

48 more tracks ****ing RULES. But also, a Nintendo game suddenly getting huge DLC FOUR YEARS after it's release is a big deal for...well...us.

Also...legit kinda pissed Live A Live is getting an HD-2D remake before Chrono Trigger.

Wasn't someone earlier in the thread talking about having Every Course Is Here in Mario Kart?
Me me me!

Not sure if 48 will cover all of them
Not quite. 48 is 3 games worth of courses(MK 2-7 had 16 new courses each).

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Given the rumors, we might just get Earthbound and Earthbound Zero on the online service.
And we did, of course. We're getting those games.
Something I honestly can't get excited about. Both those games AND Mother 3 are already on the WiiU (Japanese WiiU in Mother 3's case, which I imported). Just seems like another desperate ploy to divert attention from the fact that their legacy release strategy is still poor, and in many ways, is actually a downgrade from previous generations.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, we are getting another Nintendo Warriors game. Though much like Age of Calamity, I am kinda irked by the fact that we went from a series-wide celebration (albeit a pretty half-assed one in Fire Emblem's case), to a game devoted to a single entry which happens to be the latest in the series. Even so, Four Houses has a lot of good characters, so it'll be nice to use them in the Musou format.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, the MK8 news was by far the most hype announcement for me.

48 more tracks ****ing RULES. But also, a Nintendo game suddenly getting huge DLC FOUR YEARS after it's release is a big deal for...well...us.

Also...legit kinda pissed Live A Live is getting an HD-2D remake before Chrono Trigger.
About that last part, Chrono Cross got a remake , is that anywhere related to Chrono Trigger in lore ? If so, I would expect a Chrono Trigger remake next.

Also, your right about Mario Kart getting DLC so long after it's release being a good thing for us. I don't necessarily expect Smash news soon, but it could always happen. Which makes an eventual Ultimate Deluxe even more likely.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I honestly have mixed feelings of the precedent that MK8's new DLC is going to set.

On one hand, Nintendo making dlc plans this late has some implications for Smash I am a fan of. I do think that much like how MK8 is a comfortable point to keep the series at, Smash Ultimate is also at a point where gameplay wise I am pretty content. There really is no need to outright re invent the wheel for smash. I have always been an advocate of no cuts, and long standing DLC, whether done by Sakurai or not, would help keep Smash Ultimate the ultimate smash game for even longer. It also gives me hope that balance wise, Nintendo might walk back their stance that 13.0.1 was the final balance patch if they have to fix some things.

On the other hand, I do not like the precedent this direct set. Both this and Nintendo Sports feel to me very much as the shareholders and investors kind of pushing for the path of least resistance for profits. I could see DLC like this come to other games in the future besides Smash, especially with Nintendo moving in such a shareholder friendly direction. This also makes me concerned that some legitimate criticisms people have with Nintendo and their marketing practices will be outvoted essentially by the massive influx of cash to the shareholders. Nintendo Online Expansion pass is still a mess, their rollout of retro games has been a massive disappointment, there are plenty of legitimate things to be upset with Nintendo about that likely won't change when Nintendo Sports sells 20 million units. This also leads me to worry that Nintendo might be playing things a lot safer franchise wise. Obviously, I would love for franchises like Golden Sun or Rhythm Heaven to get a nice shiny new game, since most nintendo first party titles will end up doing well for themselves on the switch even if they were never huge sellers like Pikmin or WarioWare. But there is this nagging feeling that right now, Nintendo is going to be playing things as safe as possible. I am probably reading too much into that.

In the end, I am torn. I have been one of the biggest advocates for an Ultimate Delxue. The thought of seeing some of my most wanteds make it into this complete celebration of gaming is tantalizing. Seeing dream picks like Crash Bandicoot or Isaac square up with Sora and Joker would be amazing for me. I think that from that perspective, I would be elated. But some of my misgivings about Nintendo as a whole lately make me cautious outside of Smash. Hopefully Nintendo continues their upward trajectory they have been on on the switch, but I can not say for sure.

------------------------

As for the rest of the direct, ehh. I like Chrono Cross and Klonoa getting some love. I think Xenoblade 3 looks great as expected. Was nice seeing Earthbound actually come to switch online, since that gives a ton more people legitimate access to the game. New Kirby also is shaping up well. That being said, Splatoon still is something I could care less about. Nintendo Sports left me lukewarm. The DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe already brought back Coconut Mall so if we get Maple Treeway and Koopa Cape I will be satiated. Also, tucking a golden route into the warriors game was a good move. People that want their three houses golden route get it, while we do not have to risk it weighing down the other three routes. Shame it is in a warriors game since tbh I have not cared for them much, the only one I really digged was Persona 5 Strikers.

Last edited:
Wow, this summer is packed. I don't recall seeing anything first party for May, but June has something like 4 Nintendo games.

Oh yeah, we are getting another Nintendo Warriors game. Though much like Age of Calamity, I am kinda irked by the fact that we went from a series-wide celebration (albeit a pretty half-assed one in Fire Emblem's case), to a game devoted to a single entry which happens to be the latest in the series. Even so, Four Houses has a lot of good characters, so it'll be nice to use them in the Musou format.
Honestly, the first FE Warriors game tried to have both and failed at both, so I'm glad that this one is just sticking to one game's roster. Though I have no idea where the story's going to go, since it seems to imply that Byleth is involved in the time-skip era, but the factions are still fighting each other.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
About that last part, Chrono Cross got a remake , is that anywhere related to Chrono Trigger in lore ? If so, I would expect a Chrono Trigger remake next.
Kinda?

The connections to Chrono Trigger in the final game are not too great. If you are expecting a ton of callbacks you will not get that. There are some important details you get from Trigger, but it is not really required going in. Think of XC1 and XC2 and XCX where while you get some extra context and info, you do not really need to play all three games to understand what is going on.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Kinda?

The connections to Chrono Trigger in the final game are not too great. If you are expecting a ton of callbacks you will not get that. There are some important details you get from Trigger, but it is not really required going in. Think of XC1 and XC2 and XCX where while you get some extra context and info, you do not really need to play all three games to understand what is going on.
For what it's worth, Radical Dreamers IS a more explicit continuation of Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross just kinda ended up being loosely based off of that.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
While I like many others have my ideas for how MK9 could progress the series after MK8DX on a Switch successor but once MK8DX is complete it's going to be a tough act to follow. I do agree with Diddy that a couple of extra characters is a missed opportunity. I'd pay for a separate Racers Pass if Nintendo were offering it.

I think backwards compatibility is almost a necessity with this. This seems like the swan song for the traditional Mario Kart formula. Not only are they making this the most massive entry in the series but altogether it's a literal trip down memory lane of the series' generational history going so far as to include tracks from the new mobile game with this DLC. I think a Nintendo Cart is the obvious next step for the franchise after this.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Solid Direct. Had some stretches that were pretty lacking and a few misses like not showing any Zelda or mainline FE, but quite a few good announcements and new trailers for games we already know about. Seems like Nintendo is gonna have a pretty strong year, with still plenty of possibilities for the latter half of 2022. Actually quite a few hilarities also like no-eyepatch Dimitri, "What's an airport?" meme, Kirby engulfing a car, and Mother 3 being spit on again.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
For what it's worth, Radical Dreamers IS a more explicit continuation of Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross just kinda ended up being loosely based off of that.
Fair, but Radical Dreamers is not really canon so I did not count it. It was at best a super rough early pitch for the story.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've realized something about Square Enix and Nintendo; the more obscure the game or franchise, the more SE seems to do something with it on Switch. The Mana series, Live A Live, Chocobo Racing, Saga Frontier. Chrono Cross, all are getting spotlighted or have gotten solid remakes. Meanwhile, the first six Final Fantasies still aren't on Switch, Kingdom Hearts has awful Cloud versions, & Tomb Raider is getting a couple of spin-offs rather than any of the mainline games. Dragon Quest is about the only exception, largely because it's too valuable for even SE to half ass given the Japanese audience.

At this rate, we'll get a fantastic remake of Terranigma before we see FFVI on the system.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Meanwhile, the first six Final Fantasies still aren't on Switch
And it's only got the original FFVII, not the remake.

To be fair at least it's the full game and not split into parts.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've realized something about Square Enix and Nintendo; the more obscure the game or franchise, the more SE seems to do something with it on Switch. The Mana series, Live A Live, Chocobo Racing, Saga Frontier. Chrono Cross, all are getting spotlighted or have gotten solid remakes. Meanwhile, the first six Final Fantasies still aren't on Switch, Kingdom Hearts has awful Cloud versions, & Tomb Raider is getting a couple of spin-offs rather than any of the mainline games. Dragon Quest is about the only exception, largely because it's too valuable for even SE to half ass given the Japanese audience.

At this rate, we'll get a fantastic remake of Terranigma before we see FFVI on the system.
puts on tinfoil hat

What if... this is an elaborate plan to make these IPs more mainstream, thus giving them an excuse to allocate more of a budget to them, eventually reaching a point where they're on par with the big names in terms of scope and ambition?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
MK8 DLC does basically nothing to answer what will happen with games like Kart and Smash when we get new hardware, though. It's probably just their way of pushing things off until the end of the Switch's lifetime (and in quite a profitable manner, seemingly). MK8 is way older than Ultimate and doesn't suffer from its director potentially not wanting to work on it right now, so I still doubt we'll see something like this for Smash in the near future.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
MK8 DLC does basically nothing to answer what will happen with games like Kart and Smash when we get new hardware, though. It's probably just their way of pushing things off until the end of the Switch's lifetime (and in quite a profitable manner, seemingly). MK8 is way older than Ultimate and doesn't suffer from its director potentially not wanting to work on it right now, so I still doubt we'll see something like this for Smash in the near future.
MK8D's probably getting all this DLC in the first place because MK Tour means there's tons of track models to port. SSBU can't do this level of asset reuse.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
puts on tinfoil hat

What if... this is an elaborate plan to make these IPs more mainstream, thus giving them an excuse to allocate more of a budget to them, eventually reaching a point where they're on par with the big names in terms of scope and ambition?
If only they gave NEO TWEWY that same love…

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So pre-ordered Chrono Cross yay! One of my favorite games of all time and now I can try Radical Dreamers! Double YAY!!

Oh yeah and now I can finally see what all the buzz is about Earthbound. yay

Last edited:
Top Bottom