• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
Somebody else went into detail but on a lot but Nintendo also co-owns Fatal Frame. That game is all kinds of ****ed up.
Well, maybe. I mean, the latest Fatal Frame, which did only release for the Wii U at the time, did get a release for all systems. Unless Nintendo was somehow fine with it, I'm not sure what's their status regarding Fatal Frame is currently.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I legitimately forgot about Pikmin 4. Seems Metroid Prime 4 is also in a similar situation. Something about the number 4 and Nintendo doesn't seem to resonate.
but wait

why would Four Swords Adventures be a thing

and wario land 4

and mario party 4

and the nintendo 64 having 4 controller ports built in as opposed the PS1 and Saturn's two

:4pacman: if it's necessary

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, maybe. I mean, the latest Fatal Frame, which did only release for the Wii U at the time, did get a release for all systems. Unless Nintendo was somehow fine with it, I'm not sure what's their status regarding Fatal Frame is currently.
Yep, Fatal Frame V is technically Nintendo’s first ever multi platform game. Even if it didn’t publish it and are uncredited in game. They are still co owners of the IP!
A2832DB5-6236-46C0-82DF-41E485197368.jpeg

Note the Nintendo copyright in the corner.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
and wario land 4
I believe it is actually referred to as Wario Land Advance in Japan.

And to add to this, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards is a direct sequel to Dreamland 3, yet is not named with 4 anywhere. Well, unless you must count the obvious +60 joke.

But this does make sense, 4 is apparently a number of death in Japan.

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Rather than level completion themes, you know what I'd love to see more of in Smash? Peaceful village themes (and god knows there's a LOT of them among the represented franchises). I guess most of them aren't very fitting for battle outside of remixes, though they wouldn't seem very out of place if we had towns or something in an Adventure Mode. The facilities in World of Light were kinda like that, though I think it'd be awesome if we could get to walk around towns and other non-hostile areas (I imagine something like the towns in Castlevania II and other 2D action-RPG-ish games).

If Nintendo buys Konami wouldn’t they end up sensoring silent hill and castlevania? Nintendo doesn’t seems to like games with bloods and horror and religious elements
Why are you talking like this is 1993? Seriously, as others have pointed out, NIntendo have personally become co-owners of the Bayonetta sequels and the Fatal Frame series, and even going back to the GameCube days, I think they struck up an exclusivity deal (albeit a temporary one) for Resident Evil 4. Hell, I think they dropped the prudish act as early as having Mortal Kombat II on the SNES (after Mortal Kombat 1 was pretty much mocked and ridiculed as being the tame version on their system), plus it was mainly a Nintendo of America thing to begin with.

I could name countless. But I also think rotoscoped 3D models is a straight up bad art style.

I love Super Mario RPG, but that game looks like crap. Especially compared to everything else Square made on SNES.
Eh, different strokes, I guess. While pre-rendered sprites were more of a compromise due to the fact that the SNES couldn't handle true 3D (at least not without being extremely limited, as the FX games were), I found them nevertheless impressive for what they were, and think they still hold up pretty well today. Though, I would agree with you if you were talking about pre-rendered sprites on the Game Boy, and even the Game Boy Advance (I really don't think GBA did the Donkey Kong Country games justice, at least from all that I've seen of them).

I'd also agree with you comparing Super Mario RPG to Square's other SNES games, though mainly because the Square RPGs of those days were setting the bar pretty damn high on how 2D sprites could look. Final Fantasy IV seems like an exception, however (maybe it's because it was released VERY early in the SNES's life, but I swear, FF4 almost looks like an NES game with a mildly higher color palette.... and in fact, it might've began development as an NES game, if I recall correctly).

After Wonderful 101 and Fatal Frame, I guess Nintendo's loosening up a bit on exclusivity, at least when it comes to their co-owned properties made by third party developers.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Here is a question wouldnt Earthworm Jim regarded as gaming console mascot rep due to Intellivision Amico? just like how :ultgnw::ultmario::ult_terry::ultsonic:, Master Cheif, Crash and Alex Kidd were gaming console mascots
I wouldn't say so, given that:

A: There's no strong evidence that the announced EWJ game for Amico is being worked on.

B: In terms of games at the center of the marketing, various Intellivision throwback titles seem to have gotten that far more than Earthworm Jim.

C: If there's a somewhat cartoony, over the top figure that's embodied the Amico in the last three years, it's (the now former) Intellivision CEO Tommy Tallarico, and given his antics that's not really a positive.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Rather than level completion themes, you know what I'd love to see more of in Smash? Peaceful village themes (and god knows there's a LOT of them among the represented franchises). I guess most of them aren't very fitting for battle outside of remixes, though they wouldn't seem very out of place if we had towns or something in an Adventure Mode. The facilities in World of Light were kinda like that, though I think it'd be awesome if we could get to walk around towns and other non-hostile areas (I imagine something like the towns in Castlevania II and other 2D action-RPG-ish games).

Why are you talking like this is 1993? Seriously, as others have pointed out, NIntendo have personally become co-owners of the Bayonetta sequels and the Fatal Frame series, and even going back to the GameCube days, I think they struck up an exclusivity deal (albeit a temporary one) for Resident Evil 4. Hell, I think they dropped the prudish act as early as having Mortal Kombat II on the SNES (after Mortal Kombat 1 was pretty much mocked and ridiculed as being the tame version on their system), plus it was mainly a Nintendo of America thing to begin with.

Eh, different strokes, I guess. While pre-rendered sprites were more of a compromise due to the fact that the SNES couldn't handle true 3D (at least not without being extremely limited, as the FX games were), I found them nevertheless impressive for what they were, and think they still hold up pretty well today. Though, I would agree with you if you were talking about pre-rendered sprites on the Game Boy, and even the Game Boy Advance (I really don't think GBA did the Donkey Kong Country games justice, at least from all that I've seen of them).

I'd also agree with you comparing Super Mario RPG to Square's other SNES games, though mainly because the Square RPGs of those days were setting the bar pretty damn high on how 2D sprites could look. Final Fantasy IV seems like an exception, however (maybe it's because it was released VERY early in the SNES's life, but I swear, FF4 almost looks like an NES game with a mildly higher color palette.... and in fact, it might've began development as an NES game, if I recall correctly).

After Wonderful 101 and Fatal Frame, I guess Nintendo's loosening up a bit on exclusivity, at least when it comes to their co-owned properties made by third party developers.
I remember, as a kid, seeing magazine ads for Super Mario RPG and Super Mario 64 side by side and thinking how much better Super Mario RPG looked. I don’t think I really registered at the time that SMRPG wasn’t true 3D and didn’t really appreciate how great Super Mario 64 was until I actually played it. I remember making fun of the N64 at the time for looking worse than the SNES based on screenshots of each game. I ended up really enjoying both games but I was truly blown away by SM64. I guess it goes to show that you can’t always judge a book by its cover.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I believe it is actually referred to as Wario Land Advance in Japan.

And to add to this, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards is a direct sequel to Dreamland 3, yet is not named with 4 anywhere. Well, unless you must count the obvious +60 joke.

But this does make sense, 4 is apparently a number of death in Japan.
This is also why Donkey Kong Country 4 could never be. Rare even proposed to make it for the Nintendo DS, but Nintendo insisted on a remake of Diddy Kong Racing.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I actually think the level start music would work better than any of the level clear themes. Even though it's technically less applicable, it's one that get's used throughout the series.

Bloodborne Hunter would like to dispute this claim.
I mean...he CAN. But he'll lose. It's definitely Kratos.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like a claim could be made for Ratchet and Clank, but then again, my experience with Sony exclusives is limited. (though I've beaten the first God of War and Ratchet and Clank games, at least - the original God of War games seem very different compared to what I've heard about the new one)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I feel like a claim could be made for Ratchet and Clank, but then again, my experience with Sony exclusives is limited. (though I've beaten the first God of War and Ratchet and Clank games, at least - the original God of War games seem very different compared to what I've heard about the new one)
Yeah, during the PS4, Sony decided they wanted all their games to be "cinematic experiences", and put a LOT of franchises to rest as a result (hence the closure of their Japan Studio). As a result, Ratchet & Clank went dormant for many a year until the release of Rift Apart last year. God of War, meanwhile, was completely reworked to be more along the lines of games like Uncharted and The Last of Us, albeit still keeping certain "God of War" elements, if that makes any sense.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd give the nod to Kratos if only because (like Mario, Sonic, & Pac-Man) he'd probably be the Sony character that would come up most often if you asked the average person not in the gaming scene if they recognized them.

(Well besides the really outdated people that would pick Crash Bandicoot)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I would say that Sackboy could also be considered a big Playstation mascots. He's often heavily featured on Playstation marketing especially at the ps3 and ps4 era but he's stil getting some attention with the ps5. I also think that Sackboy design is better as a mascot than Kratos.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'd give the nod to Kratos if only because (like Mario, Sonic, & Pac-Man) he'd probably be the Sony character that would come up most often if you asked the average person not in the gaming scene if they recognized them.

(Well besides the really outdated people that would pick Crash Bandicoot)
Admittedly, Crash and Lara Croft are still the first two characters that come to my mind when I think “PlayStation character”.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And there it is.
If you want any more evidence of Platinum Games changing, and not for the better, you've got the fact that their CEO wants them to move away from tightly polished short games to the "Games as a Service" model.

Wishing the best for Bayonetta 3 and Project GG at least.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
And there it is.
If you want any more evidence of Platinum Games changing, and not for the better, you've got the fact that their CEO wants them to move away from tightly polished short games to the "Games as a Service" model.

I was going to share that, but I kept hearing conflicting stuff on Twitter about what this actually means, and I didn't wanna risk jumping the gun.

That being said... yeah, I got a bad feeling about this.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Kind of weird timing for this, given that Platinum style action games seem more popular than ever (with even Square Enix getting in on the act as of late).

Feels like a bit like an overreaction to the okayish sales of recent titles; perhaps Astral Chain wasn't enough of a sucess as they wanted?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Kind of weird timing for this, given that Platinum style action games seem more popular than ever (with even Square Enix getting in on the act as of late).

Feels like a bit like an overreaction to the okayish sales of recent titles; perhaps Astral Chain wasn't enough of a sucess as they wanted?
No, it sold above expectation.

I think this is just your average tale about a company chasing trends to maximize their potential profits.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Hey, I see we're talking about Sony stuff. I'll take this as a prompt to shill the newly revived Nintendo VS Sony thread game!

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The thing about Sony is at different times, different characters were positioned as the mascot. More often than not it probably has been Kratos, but at other times it's been Nathan Drake and Sackboy, and back in the day you'd see characters that Sony didn't even own like Crash, Lara Croft and Cloud assume that kind of role.

So they don't really have a de facto mascot as Nintendo and MS do, who have pretty much stuck by one character since basically their first foray into things. Sony more has a rotating platform of characters that they utilize when said character makes most sense.

And there it is.

Truly ominous when a company says it wants to move away from "well-designed" titles.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The only reason the Hunter from Bloodborne would be even considered is that Bloodborne is far more popular in Japan than God of War. Whereas God of War's popularity is mainly in the West, Bloodborne's popularity is worldwide, including Japan.

That said, Kratos and Rachet+Clank are definitely more the mascots though and if Sony wanted a character for Smash Bros., they'd more than likely want either Kratos or Rachet. The only reason the Hunter would get in over either of them is if:
A: Sakurai prefers the Hunter over Kratos or Rachet and Sony is somehow okay with that.
B: Possibly the right timing. With the rumors of Bluepoint doing Bloodborne 2 for PS5, if Bloodborne 2 were to be released around the time Sakurai is doing the new character roster, there could be a possible opportunity in that Sony would want to advertise Bloodborne 2 as much as possible during it's release and Sony would be good with Sakurai choosing the Hunter in that the Hunter in Smash Bros. would advertise the recently released Bloodborne 2(and any possible Bloodborne remaster or whatnot).

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Well, it’s iconic enough to be referenced in a crossover (skip to 1:29 of this video):
Sounds about right. But darn, it sounds more like a sound effect than a theme.

I guess the stage complete theme from Resurrection is good too since it's basically the same thing with an added part to it.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Gengar84

Smash Hero
New Nintendo Direct inbound.
We're gonna see Star Fox right??
Nice. Is anyone really expecting or hopeful for anything in particular? I wonder if it’s time to finally see a full reveal of Metroid Prime 4. It would also be nice to see what Monolith has been working on (presumably Xenoblade 3).

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Nice. Is anyone really expecting or hopeful for anything in particular? I wonder if it’s time to finally see a full reveal of Metroid Prime 4. It would also be nice to see what Monolith has been working on (presumably Xenoblade 3).
Only hoping for two things:
  1. FE4 remake
  2. Project X Zone 3

Top Bottom