• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Stratos

Smash Ace
For the next Nintendo console we will have to wait for 2024, but I want to hope that it will be mentioned this coming summer.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
If there was anyone I would WANT Nintendo to buy it’s Konami but honestly I would be happy with literally any of the big three buying that **** fiesta of a company.
It says alot when no other major companies have really said anything at all, let alone anything noteworthy, about Konami nowadays.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Konami would be a loaded purchase anyway, because their collective endeavors include a lot of heath clubs in addition to their gambling machines, and video game divisions. That stuff (on top of moving away from AAA titles, consistently putting out Yu-Gi-Oh releases, and generally going all in on the Switch in Japan) is what's allowed to be more profitable now than they were pre-2015.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Man, I keep forgetting that Konami owns the Yu-Gi-Oh OCG/TCG and that a company buying Konami would potentially mean getting the Yugioh OCG/TCG. It's weird enough thinking of Sony or Microsoft owning the Yugioh Card game, but Nintendo owning it would bring out so many questions and thoughts.

Like if people arguing about Anime and Movies in Smash Bros when it comes to certain franchises and aspects like Pokemon, Digimon, Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, etc was polarising enough, not to mention the Goku fans and whatnot, Yugioh would be the Giant Eldritch Abomination overshadowing Earth in comparison if Nintendo ended up getting it. Doesn't even include the fact that Yugioh would be a copyright nightmare in comparison to Pokemon.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If there was anyone I would WANT Nintendo to buy it’s Konami but honestly I would be happy with literally any of the big three buying that **** fiesta of a company.
So basically this?

Though for what it's worth, Platinum would also be a good one. Apparently they've been having financial problems recently? I don't have a source, though, so don't quote me.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So basically this?

Though for what it's worth, Platinum would also be a good one. Apparently they've been having financial problems recently? I don't have a source, though, so don't quote me.
Platinum HAD financial troubles. Crazy enough NieR: Automata practically saved the company. A Square game. I don’t think Platinum really needs to be bought by anyone.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Platinum HAD financial troubles. Crazy enough NieR: Automata practically saved the company. A Square game. I don’t think Platinum really needs to be bought by anyone.
Really? I'd been hearing they were on another financial situation after Astral Chain released.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't see why Sony would buy Capcom or Square Enix when they could do what they've done throughout the entirety of the PS4's lifecycle and just fund development for games they want to be Playstation exclusives. Sony may be interested in Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and Final Fantasy, but I can't see 2022 Sony wanting much to do with Mega Man or Dragon Quest.

Buying Bungie made sense because they basically work on one IP, Destiny. Sony sees a lot of value in Destiny, so they see a lot of value in buying Bungie.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Really? I'd been hearing they were on another financial situation after Astral Chain released.
Astral Chain did above their expectations. Why would they be in financial trouble after that? It’s one of the few Platinum games that’s broken 1 million.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't see why Sony would buy Capcom or Square Enix when they could do what they've done throughout the entirety of the PS4's lifecycle and just fund development for games they want to be Playstation exclusives. Sony may be interested in Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and Final Fantasy, but I can't see 2022 Sony wanting much to do with Mega Man or Dragon Quest.

Buying Bungie made sense because they basically work on one IP, Destiny. Sony sees a lot of value in Destiny, so they see a lot of value in buying Bungie.
Moreover, the Bungie purchase was more about improving their own infrastructure for future live service games than Destiny itself.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm positive Sony would want Dragon Quest for those JP sales. Like Final Fantasy is nowhere near as popular as Dragon Quest in Japan. And if Sony does want to keep getting sales in Japan, ignoring Dragon Quest would be the last thing they want to do.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Astral Chain did above their expectations. Why would they be in financial trouble after that? It’s one of the few Platinum games that’s broken 1 million.
Okay, I looked into it, and I THINK people were referring to more general problems with Platinum. Their games keep getting delayed, often going overbudget, usually underperforming, stuff like that. Which I'm pretty sure have always been problems with Platinum, so... take that as you will.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Okay, I looked into it, and I THINK people were referring to more general problems with Platinum. Their games keep getting delayed, often going overbudget, usually underperforming, stuff like that. Which I'm pretty sure have always been problems with Platinum, so... take that as you will.
yeah I love Platinum Games and especially love Astral Chain AND Nier Automata, but despite that gaming performing greater than they expected, that was 3 years ago.
Since then, they've released a very poor port of Wonderful 101 (one they had to use kickstarter to even do), and a little mobile game which hasn't made many waves.

Their plans as of right now include Babylon's Fall, a game which people have largely given up any hope on after the last trailer, Sol Cresta, a shmup which isn't exactly their primary fanbase, and of course Bayonetta 3, which is pretty much their last hope. Also there's Project G.G. but we know next to nothing about it. They also used to work with a Granblue Fantasy tie-in Action RPG, but it seems they've been entirely kicked out of the game's development.

tl;dr bayo or bust

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
yeah I love Platinum Games and especially love Astral Chain AND Nier Automata, but despite that gaming performing greater than they expected, that was 3 years ago.
Since then, they've released a very poor port of Wonderful 101 (one they had to use kickstarter to even do), and a little mobile game which hasn't made many waves.

Their plans as of right now include Babylon's Fall, a game which people have largely given up any hope on after the last trailer, Sol Cresta, a shmup which isn't exactly their primary fanbase, and of course Bayonetta 3, which is pretty much their last hope. Also there's Project G.G. but we know next to nothing about it. They also used to work with a Granblue Fantasy tie-in Action RPG, but it seems they've been entirely kicked out of the game's development.

tl;dr bayo or bust
Ayup.

Tbh, the game looks better now than the build Platinum threw together so, maybe it was for the best in the end? Especially since it's actually coming out now. From what I've seen, Platinum held that game up considerably.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What I feel is sort of missing in this generation is the Switch's version of a game that graphically jumps out with it's uniqueness and beauty, as games as Donkey Kong Country and it's sequels

I just read on a website that Nintendo is going to buy either Capcom or Sega. Although I do not believe this, if it is true I would say that it will buy Sega, because old games that were released on Sega consoles, have also been released on Nintendo Online from the Wii U to the Nintendo Switch.
**** Sega! Buy Capcooooom!!

Agreed. Just...anyone that can do ANYTHING with Contra, Castlevania and Metal Gear.

Konami would be a loaded purchase anyway, because their collective endeavors include a lot of heath clubs in addition to their gambling machines, and video game divisions.
They don't have to buy ALL of Konami. Just the games division.

The issue for them there is, if someone ELSE buys them, then Sony loses Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, etc.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Then name one game from the SNES era that looks as good as the DKC trilogy.
I’m going to agree with you here. The original DKC games looked amazing former the time. DKC 2 has one of the best soundtracks on the console, right up there with Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X in my opinion.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I’m going to agree with you here. The original DKC games looked amazing former the time. DKC 2 has one of the best soundtracks on the console, right up there with Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X in my opinion.
I'll admit I still have to play Chrono Trigger, am actually sort of surprised that with all the classic SNES RPGs Square is remaking on Switch, Chrono Trigger wasn't yet one of them.
I think the DKC games do still look great (more specifically on a CRT or on Switch handheld oddly enough), but I have to give credit to Yoshi's Island for also having fantastic art design and Mario RPG for still standing out visually to this day (albeit looking best on a CRT that the game was meant to be seen on ).
I agree with those games too, more specifically Yoshi's Island for what it tried to do with it's color book texture style. This game comes closest to what Wind Waker did, before Wind Waker came out. SMRPG is beautiful indeed, but not exactly on the same level as DKC. I do get what you mean though, the game is gorgeous looking. Super Metroid also deserves a mention here.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think he meant there's no chance the switch could render a game as sexy looking as DKC. But I could be wrong....

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I think he meant there's no chance the switch could render a game as sexy looking as DKC. But I could be wrong....
I think the argument is that there is no game on the Switch that is drastically better looking than everything else on the Switch. I’m entirely sure how one would set about accomplishing that nowadays, though.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If Nintendo buys Konami wouldn’t they end up sensoring silent hill and castlevania? Nintendo doesn’t seems to like games with bloods and horror and religious elements

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the argument is that there is no game on the Switch that is drastically better looking than everything else on the Switch. I’m entirely sure how one would set about accomplishing that nowadays, though.
This was my argument yes. A game is lacking that really pops out for the Switch, that pushes the hardware like DKC did for the SNES. Even DK64 did it with the expansion pack for the N64. Looking back, DK64 really was in many ways also the best looking game on N64.

So that's sort of what am hoping for for this rumored Donkey Kong game, to do exactly this, to push the limits of the hardware yet again. But I also mentioned Metroid Prime 4 being a prime candidate, or even Golden Sun as GS was also graphically ahead of other games in it's era.

Then again, I will use any excuse to talk about Donkey Kong Country any chance I get. No cap.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Then name one game from the SNES era that looks as good as the DKC trilogy.
I could name countless. But I also think rotoscoped 3D models is a straight up bad art style.

I love Super Mario RPG, but that game looks like crap. Especially compared to everything else Square made on SNES.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If Nintendo buys Konami wouldn’t they end up sensoring silent hill and castlevania? Nintendo doesn’t seems to like games with bloods and horror and religious elements
They published Bayonetta 2 and 3 (there are other examples that I could point to as well - they own Eternal Darkness, and they have no problem with games like Binding of Isaac being on their system), so that stopped being an issue a long time ago.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I'm waiting for Pikmin 4 and I wonder if it will be mentioned for the Nintendo Switch or for the next console. In 2021 the mobile game of Pikmin series appeared as we all know, the Pikmin Bloom. Does this mean that Pikmin 4 will be delayed even more?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I legitimately forgot about Pikmin 4. Seems Metroid Prime 4 is also in a similar situation. Something about the number 4 and Nintendo doesn't seem to resonate.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
In 2021 the mobile game of Pikmin series appeared as we all know, the Pikmin Bloom. Does this mean that Pikmin 4 will be delayed even more?
I doubt the mobile game would have any real effect on a Pikmin 4, if it exists.

I legitimately forgot about Pikmin 4. Seems Metroid Prime 4 is also in a similar situation.
At least with MP4 we got recent confirmation that it is still actively being worked on via the Retro Studios job postings.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If Nintendo buys Konami wouldn’t they end up censoring silent hill and castlevania? Nintendo doesn’t seems to like games with bloods and horror and religious elements
Bayonetta 2 and 3 say hi. I can understand Silent Hill, but Castlevania is quite tame in comparison to Silent Hill.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
We have all been waiting for Metroid Prime 4 for 4.5 years, I want to hope that this year we will have news about it.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Somebody else went into detail but on a lot but Nintendo also co-owns Fatal Frame. That game is all kinds of ****ed up.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Isn't he a non-video game character?
I prefer Vectorman over him.
He seems similar to ROB - part of the marketing for Sega's consoles, and one with playable appearances in the games of their company. (in ROB's case, Mario Kart DS; in Segata's case, Project X Zone 2)

Plus, I think he got his own tie-in video game towards the end of the Sega Saturn's life-span, if I remember one of the commercials correctly.

EDIT: found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDz3WtwskTY&ab_channel=SaturnMemories Won't embed it because the video's nearly an hour long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom