• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Sakurai pretty much went and said, "go buy an Xbox to play his game" when presenting Banjo and we have so many PS-focused characters in Smash that it became a meme.

I think some people are grossly overstating how much the nonexistent console wars affect Smash.
Same for Japan bias. Sora and Banjo proved that Sakurai and Nintendo didn't simply have enough time and resource to focus on more western characters. The fact that we got more western contents besides two playable characters proves that they are not that concerned about certain characters' popularity in Japan.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I can't help but think we're jumping to conclusions so far. Maybe we shouldn't speculate on what'd happen if Microsoft or Sony bought out a major Japanese publisher as if it's a done deal unless we see signs that it's actually going to happen?

I get that gaming news is slow right now otherwise, but showing restraint would be best here. Especially when we might be looking at a Nintendo Direct within the next two weeks.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I can't help but think we're jumping to conclusions so far. Maybe we shouldn't speculate on what'd happen if Microsoft or Sony bought out a major Japanese publisher as if it's a done deal unless we see signs that it's actually going to happen?

I get that gaming news is slow right now otherwise, but showing restraint would be best here. Especially when we might looking at a Nintendo Direct within the next two weeks.
I definitely don’t think anything is set in stone. I just think it’s something fun to talk about. The prospect of a Microsoft vs Nintendo Smash gives me a chance to talk about some of my most wanted characters like the Battletoads, Fulgore, Illidan, and Sarah Kerrigan that never really get brought up otherwise.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I don't think this whole acquisition extravagenza could affect the future of Smash as much as we think.

In Banjo's presentation, Sakurai outright said "Go buy an Xbox" to play the OG Banjo-Kazooie, and in Kazuya's and Sora's presentations, where we're shown gameplay from some of their respective games, you can see "PlayStation game footage" and "PC game footage", which means deals were made to show this and successfully came through.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't think this whole acquisition extravagenza could affect the future of Smash as much as we think.

In Banjo's presentation, Sakurai outright said "Go buy an Xbox" to play the OG Banjo-Kazooie, and in Kazuya's and Sora's presentations, where we're shown gameplay from some of their respective games, you can see "PlayStation game footage" and "PC game footage", which means deals were made to show this and successfully came through.
Yeah, I don’t think Sakurai has any issue with using characters from other companies. The only question for me is whether Sony wants to cooperate. I do think it is a possibility that we could still get Sony owned characters in future Smash games but they are the only real questionable ones for me.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Abe from the Oddworld series along with another character the Dart from The Legend of Dragoon would have come as downloadable characters in the PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, but for some reason it was canceled. But Abe could come in the next game of the Super Smash Bros. series. as a newcomer.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I actually do think that if sony bought a third party present in ultimate i still do think that they can still get that third party back in the next game since sony like microsoft wouldnt want to make everything interfere with the companies relation to any other company
Well if Sony buys one of the third-parties and Nintendo attempts to reacquire said company's character for Smash, it's not Sony interfering in the business of other companies at that point, it's Nintendo trying to add a Sony character. And I don't think Sony will be amenable to that.

It's not like you don't have to go through MS when working with Mojang or Rare. The difference between the companies is MS wants to collaborate and build bridges via making some concessions because their ultimate goal is to proliferate Game Pass everywhere, including on Nintendo's hardware, especially over Sony's eventual subscription competitor.

Sony, currently, is not as open to collaboration, and they're a few steps behind the on the streaming platform. If they both eventually turn to court Nintendo, aiming to get their service on Nintendo's OS, then things might look different. But that this juncture, Sony is a lot more closed off about this kind of thing than MS is, and Sony and Nintendo have a much more traditional competitor rivalry, wherein working together is rare.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I think that these hurdles might become less burdensome as time marches on as they've already have. I'm just presuming the future of mod accessibility on a precedent that they've already become easier to use than they were in decades past. I think it's an unfair summary when considering that the modding community have been routinely antagonized making their so-called inaccessibility a byproduct of their lack of access to mainstream avenues of implementation.

But the easiest platform to pirate games is the PC you and I both using right now and yet Steam still exists along with a host of other services similar to it. Steam and Epic themselves official platforms and assists the creation of mods. PC gaming is on the rise. This will increase accessibility.

Other than getting banned I guess. We deal with that already though so supporting antagonistic behavior from corporate companies like Nintendo does nothing in this regard so why would it be a reason to not support modding communities? It's really not a good reason and seems more like a flimsy justification.
I disagree,creating mods still isnt an easy thing to do

Still i dont think they would want mods on their console with especially with how big of a problem it was with the ds

It is much more better if hacking isnt accesible in the first place rather than have modding and having to look for players and then banning them

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I modded my Wii so I could use Brawl mods. Haven't modded since. I understand the issue Nintendo takes with things like pirating becoming very easy (at least on the Wii) and then there's the users who accidentally brick their consoles... But I'm not against the creativity that Smash modding has led to. I guess you just have to do it at your own risk. At the same time I can't really fault Nintendo for not supporting hacks and mods. From a corporate standpoint they have to denounce any activity that could potentially compromise their networks as well as having a legal obligation to uphold Warranty declarations which explicitly exclude any unsanctioned modifications to their hardware or software.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Yeah, I don’t think Sakurai has any issue with using characters from other companies. The only question for me is whether Sony wants to cooperate. I do think it is a possibility that we could still get Sony owned characters in future Smash games but they are the only real questionable ones for me.
Not gonna lie dude, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo themselves would be less willing that Sony.
I'm not sure at all if xenophobic practices are to blame, but in general, I just have a feeling that Sony wouldn't mind it.

I think I've partially developed this opinion because I couldn't help but notice that on Twitter, PlayStation follows Nintendo of America, but vice versa is not true. Also, while PlayStation's twitter congratulated Nintendo on the launch of the Switch, Nintendo of America's twitter didn't do the same for the PS5; rather, Doug Bowser himself said congratulations. I have no clue if Nintendo's JP page said anything, so if they did, definitely share it!
Even with the recent posts about MLB: The Show, there was a tweet PlayStation made where they tagged both Xbox and Nintendo's JP twitter page. Xbox responded with a fun little comment. Nintendo didn't respond at all.

Again, I'm just developing a theorized opinion that could definitely be wrong. But who knows.

Last edited:
From my perspective being pro-mods and pro-emulation is synonymous with being pro-video-games as an artistic medium. To be against it is not only a disservice to the creativity of the modding community but also the interests and imagination of the consumers and the development of future talent. I'm a fan of all reappropriating methodologies whether it's film re-edits, remixes, memes, mashups, covers, and abridging as well. I think creative culture depends on this principle to hell with antiquated business models that feel entitled to special legal protection. This attitude drags the arts down as a whole and needs to be more directly challenged by various fandoms collectively standing together in solidarity against these restrictive practices.
I know I'm late to the modding discussion, but I feel that there needs to be a distinction between being a creative space and being an artistic medium. Mods are excellent at the former and sometimes detrimental for the latter.

If you were to compare a video game to a painting, modding is the equivalent of painting over the work of the artist. That may be because the modder is trying to improve the painting, or it may be because they had their own ideas and simply wanted to use the painting as a springboard. One is saying that the art is flawed, that we can do it better than they can. It is saying that artistic integrity is unimportant. The other is more innocent and is the work of collage and transformation. If we were to say modding is good for creativity, that is hard to argue. If we are saying that modding makes video games more of an artistic medium, then we have to ask, "whose art?" because it isn't always respectful to the original artist who originally painted on the canvas.

Generally, I think mods are cool, but they can get into the "look how much better I can make this" category and that sort of spits on the art that goes into making a game in the first place.

The emulation thing is also complicated, but I feel that it comes down to whether art is worth paying for, how availability plays into that, and what kind of compensation the artists get paid for additional copies. I don't really have any good insight here, but that seems to be the sticking point in the argument.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd actually compare mods to something like fanfiction in that while it likely does go against the original intent of the artist/developer/writer, in a practical sense it doesn't really do that much damage because the original is still there and (provided one's not charging for it) there's no attempt to profit off it monetarily. Generationally, both are going to become less and controversial over time as well, with fan fiction stories about all kinds of media not only accepted but essentially expected; quite a contrast to decades ago when there were active fandom debates about even tolerating it.

I'd actually compare mods to something like fanfiction in that while it likely does go against the original intent of the artist/developer/writer, in a practical sense it doesn't really do that much damage because the original is still there and (provided one's not charging for it) there's no attempt to profit off it monetarily. Generationally, both are going to become less and controversial over time as well, with fan fiction stories about all kinds of media not only accepted but essentially expected; quite a contrast to decades ago when there were active fandom debates about even tolerating it.
Yeah, most of the time that's probably a better analogy. Especially since a lot of the time video game problems are due to limited time and manpower, and not artistic vision. It's just that there's an argument to be made that pro-mod is not one-to-one with being pro-art. I will admit it's a super nitpicky argument that only really applies to a subsection of mods (and probably a subsection of people who use them), but I didn't want to leave the idea of artistic integrity vs. the value of iteration untouched when that's probably the biggest ethical question for mods outside the business side of things.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of the compromise in that might be promoting/presenting one's mods in the sense of being an alternative rather than a fix, and a more consistent acknowledgement that any changes are potentially a deviation from what the developers intended. Like I love the non-linear radar mod for Sonic Adventure 2, but I have no problem admitting the Emerald hunting levels are not designed around that feature and its use is in some small way a rejection of what the game was envisioned to be.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Can’t believe it’s been 5 years…I still remember when the game was first announced.

I’m surprised we never got a Spirit Event, considering we have FEH music in Ultimate.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My favorite thing about mods is that they extend the life of the game indefinitely. If your favorite character didn’t make the cut, someone might eventually mod them into the game. If you’re ambitious enough, you can even learn to do it yourself. I loved that my brother and I got to play with models that we created in one of our favorite games. Nothing really beats the feeling of creating something that you can see others enjoying. We still have a bit of that with Stage Builder but it’s so easy to get lost in the shuffle and there isn’t really a good search feature.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think I've partially developed this opinion because I couldn't help but notice that on Twitter, PlayStation follows Nintendo of America, but vice versa is not true. Also, while PlayStation's twitter congratulated Nintendo on the launch of the Switch, Nintendo of America's twitter didn't do the same for the PS5; rather, Doug Bowser himself said congratulations. I have no clue if Nintendo's JP page said anything, so if they did, definitely share it!
Even with the recent posts about MLB: The Show, there was a tweet PlayStation made where they tagged both Xbox and Nintendo's JP twitter page. Xbox responded with a fun little comment. Nintendo didn't respond at all.
I mean, follows and such could simply be a matter of the tastes of whichever employees are managing these social media accounts. The extent to which these accounts are regulated by execs I would guess is pretty minimal unless they were to do something blatantly bad.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Can’t believe it’s been 5 years…I still remember when the game was first announced.

I’m surprised we never got a Spirit Event, considering we have FEH music in Ultimate.
Mobile gaming music/general representation in Ultimate, ya love to see it
We got the Minecraft Earth theme too.

Kinda wish we got 3rd party mobile stuff but I'm happy with what Ultimate gave us mobile-wise

I mean, follows and such could simply be a matter of the tastes of whichever employees are managing these social media accounts. The extent to which these accounts are regulated by execs I would guess is pretty minimal unless they were to do something blatantly bad.
That's true. It could simply be whoever runs the Twitter accounts that tends to choose how expressive/active the account is relative to itself, its host company's fans, journalists, and other companies.
For Nintendo, let's say what we're discussing is the real deal. Maybe the Twitter account runner is someone on the more conservative side.

If this isn't true, maybe the company has a strict law placed that describes limited interaction, particularly with other companies in the same console development industry or something.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I fully support modding in video games as long as it’s free. The one aspect that I have an issue with is that some people are charging money for their mods these days, often up to $500 per mod. That’s a line that I don’t think should be crossed. It’s my belief that you shouldn’t be able to profit off of someone else’s work but it seems like I’m in the minority with that opinion from who I’ve spoken to.
I mean, you could argue that it's the modder's work that you're paying for. And you already paid the original creators for the game.

But yes, $500 is ridiculous, I don't care what the mod does.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hello everyone, I felt like sharing one of my latest moveset ideas, this time for you-know-who.

In Dixie's case I've been breaking down the types of attacks she could theoretically do into categories. This is a brand new category that I'm gonna call Tandem; these are instances in which Dixie attacks with both her hair and at least one limb. So, without further ado here it is:

Dixie balances on one hand and then simultaneously kicks out a leg while swinging her ponytail in a brisk yet broad stroke. It’s a bit misleading while you charge the move, as the foot she’s gonna kick with starts opposite from where she swings her leg and the same applies to her ponytail, which the trajectory shows. She hits with her leg and hair in tandem, effectively performing a lopsided split that has different properties due to what she’s attacking with. Foes hit by her leg will receive more hitstun while those hit by her hair will suffer more knockback. As you can see, Dixie’s ponytail has more reach, so it’s usually better to catch enemies with her hair instead of her foot, but said foot can still cause problems for fighters who rolled around her to avoid the hair as they’ll still catch a kick.

The nature of this move makes it best suited as a potential Down Smash, since she's performing a lopsided yet hard-hitting split regardless of the side that connects. It's well within the range of potential moves Dixie can utilize to make for an interesting moveset. Her hair is the key to making her stand out as it's highly versatile, and for more ideas I have a whole database of potential moves in one document. Have a look:
It's updated....occasionally but it can go a long way to inspire others.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hello everyone, I felt like sharing one of my latest moveset ideas, this time for you-know-who.

In Dixie's case I've been breaking down the types of attacks she could theoretically do into categories. This is a brand new category that I'm gonna call Tandem; these are instances in which Dixie attacks with both her hair and at least one limb. So, without further ado here it is:

Dixie balances on one hand and then simultaneously kicks out a leg while swinging her ponytail in a brisk yet broad stroke. It’s a bit misleading while you charge the move, as the foot she’s gonna kick with starts opposite from where she swings her leg and the same applies to her ponytail, which the trajectory shows. She hits with her leg and hair in tandem, effectively performing a lopsided split that has different properties due to what she’s attacking with. Foes hit by her leg will receive more hitstun while those hit by her hair will suffer more knockback. As you can see, Dixie’s ponytail has more reach, so it’s usually better to catch enemies with her hair instead of her foot, but said foot can still cause problems for fighters who rolled around her to avoid the hair as they’ll still catch a kick.

The nature of this move makes it best suited as a potential Down Smash, since she's performing a lopsided yet hard-hitting split regardless of the side that connects. It's well within the range of potential moves Dixie can utilize to make for an interesting moveset. Her hair is the key to making her stand out as it's highly versatile, and for more ideas I have a whole database of potential moves in one document. Have a look:
It's updated....occasionally but it can go a long way to inspire others.
Not a big fan of Dixie Kong but great job on the illustrations and such.
Really puts it above just a text only moveset.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Lots of great and well-argued contributions to the discussion around mods. I just don't see why we'd want to shackle the medium in what I consider a misguided attempt at appeasing the preferences of giant corporations that'll have a primary motivation of monetization versus making art. Mods extend the games we love ranging from Skyrim for over the past decade to Mario Kart Wii with CTGP Revolution. Mods make new games out of the games we love like Project M. Hell sometimes mods even restore the games we love to their original state as was the case with Pinnacle Station mods for Mass Effect Legendary edition. Mods can even revive the games we love as is the case with Smash 64 Remix and the Banjo Kazooie mod scene. Sometimes mods can make something completely different out of the games we love like what DOTA did with Warcraft 3. I think first we have to acknowledge the objective benefit ardent, uncompromising support and defense of mods brings to the gaming landscape.

Personally, I can't reconcile the arguments that Nintendo and any corporation for that matter, does this to protect their IP and mods are this esoteric inaccessible thing that aren't even that important. I don't understand why we as gamers wouldn't want a world where both AM2R and Nintendo's official remake both co-exist together because 2 games to learn from and play are literally more in the interest of the players and creators than 1 game. Like I said there's no better competition than the community itself and as I've already stated literally all other artistic mediums depend on the reappropriation disciplines to progress their respective fields forward because it gives the newer generation a higher platform than previous ones to springboard from and a new take on pre-established works to open the creative minds of the consumers.

As far as emulation goes it's about preservation. It's starting to catch on with the respective lost media and game preservation movement but emulation also allows for future developers to learn from the developers from the past. It's not about profit and we shouldn't think about it like that. Some of those developers aren't with us anymore but their work lives on and inspires others to continue their work in spirit by learning from it and keeping that work available to the players to enjoy. IP rights are what hold back that accessibility because we're all so accustomed to bending to the whimsy of profit-parasites squeezing everything they can out of 20 to 30-year-old games at this point.

This doesn't just apply to old games though. Everybody talks about a Mario Odyssey 2 but I bet if we have more protections around the modding community as a whole then passionate gamers would have already created something worthy of the moniker much earlier than what we could ever expect from a corporation like Nintendo. Sure they gave us the platform to make something like that work in the first place and that's not nothing but advocating for the free creative expression of community is even more important than acknowledging the original creator's initial contribution. Prioritizing the financial interests of the initial contribution only serves to quite literally hold us back. As far as dedicated AAA 3D Mario platformers go we're still collectively living in 2017 in the year 2022. I know for a fact that passionate fans of Nintendo could have made something just as good in this time and Nintendo could have even monetized it let alone give the community the tools to realize it.

I just can't find the financial interests of the rights holders motivating or compelling enough for me to defend and I don't even think they're doing a good job at that. IP owners have taken great works away from the public through their greed and unwillingness to cooperate with the creative community for literally nothing in return the overwhelming majority of the time and even in the small cases where they do (AM2R for instance being replaced by Samus Returns), there's still no good reason they both couldn't have co-existed in an official capacity together.

I stand by my position that in order to support gaming as an artistic medium you have to stand in solidarity with the modding/emulation scenes. I think the donation model works well enough and should the works ever get officially released an official credit is expected for the dedicated members of the team for their work. Maybe even well-paying jobs working for the official companies? I even believe we gamers not modding could donate more to great teams doing great work to help keep them going. I hope someday we organize around this issue more politically and socially.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Lots of great and well-argued contributions to the discussion around mods. I just don't see why we'd want to shackle the medium in what I consider a misguided attempt at appeasing the preferences of giant corporations that'll have a primary motivation of monetization versus making art. Mods extend the games we love ranging from Skyrim for over the past decade to Mario Kart Wii with CTGP Revolution. Mods make new games out of the games we love like Project M. Hell sometimes mods even restore the games we love to their original state as was the case with Pinnacle Station mods for Mass Effect Legendary edition. Mods can even revive the games we love as is the case with Smash 64 Remix and the Banjo Kazooie mod scene. Sometimes mods can make something completely different out of the games we love like what DOTA did with Warcraft 3. I think first we have to acknowledge the objective benefit ardent, uncompromising support and defense of mods brings to the gaming landscape.

Personally, I can't reconcile the arguments that Nintendo and any corporation for that matter, does this to protect their IP and mods are this esoteric inaccessible thing that aren't even that important. I don't understand why we as gamers wouldn't want a world where both AM2R and Nintendo's official remake both co-exist together because 2 games to learn from and play are literally more in the interest of the players and creators than 1 game. Like I said there's no better competition than the community itself and as I've already stated literally all other artistic mediums depend on the reappropriation disciplines to progress their respective fields forward because it gives the newer generation a higher platform than previous ones to springboard from and a new take on pre-established works to open the creative minds of the consumers.

As far as emulation goes it's about preservation. It's starting to catch on with the respective lost media and game preservation movement but emulation also allows for future developers to learn from the developers from the past. It's not about profit and we shouldn't think about it like that. Some of those developers aren't with us anymore but their work lives on and inspires others to continue their work in spirit by learning from it and keeping that work available to the players to enjoy. IP rights are what hold back that accessibility because we're all so accustomed to bending to the whimsy of profit-parasites squeezing everything they can out of 20 to 30-year-old games at this point.

This doesn't just apply to old games though. Everybody talks about a Mario Odyssey 2 but I bet if we have more protections around the modding community as a whole then passionate gamers would have already created something worthy of the moniker much earlier than what we could ever expect from a corporation like Nintendo. Sure they gave us the platform to make something like that work in the first place and that's not nothing but advocating for the free creative expression of community is even more important than acknowledging the original creator's initial contribution. Prioritizing the financial interests of the initial contribution only serves to quite literally hold us back. As far as dedicated AAA 3D Mario platformers go we're still collectively living in 2017 in the year 2022. I know for a fact that passionate fans of Nintendo could have made something just as good in this time and Nintendo could have even monetized it let alone give the community the tools to realize it.

I just can't find the financial interests of the rights holders motivating or compelling enough for me to defend and I don't even think they're doing a good job at that. IP owners have taken great works away from the public through their greed and unwillingness to cooperate with the creative community for literally nothing in return the overwhelming majority of the time and even in the small cases where they do (AM2R for instance being replaced by Samus Returns), there's still no good reason they both couldn't have co-existed in an official capacity together.

I stand by my position that in order to support gaming as an artistic medium you have to stand in solidarity with the modding/emulation scenes. I think the donation model works well enough and should the works ever get officially released an official credit is expected for the dedicated members of the team for their work. Maybe even well-paying jobs working for the official companies? I even believe we gamers not modding could donate more to great teams doing great work to help keep them going. I hope someday we organize around this issue more politically and socially.
I agree with pretty much all of this. My biggest concern is that bringing too much attention in support of mods and fan games could potentially have the opposite desired effect and push Nintendo to go after them even more than they are now. I honestly don’t know what the solution is other than to hope Nintendo changes their stance, which doesn’t seem very likely at this point.

Here’s something that I’ve never shared with anyone before while we’re on the subject: Back when I was an active Brawl modder, the modding team I was a part of was contacted by IGN because they wanted to interview us and write an article about us. What initially got their attention was my K. Rool vertex edit over King Dedede. After a long discussion, we decided it would be best to pass on that opportunity in order to preserve the modding scene. We feared that a big spotlight from IGN would result in Nintendo shutting down the Brawl modding scene altogether. Did we make the right choice? I don’t know but I’m curious if things would be different today if we had taken the interview.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Quick update on the recent acquisition discussion:

The way I see it, Nintendo's not gonna respond unless they feel threatened (namely if Sony and/or Microsoft try to buy a Japanese company).

SKX31

Smash Master

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I agree with pretty much all of this. My biggest concern is that bringing too much attention in support of mods and fan games could potentially have the opposite desired effect and push Nintendo to go after them even more than they are now. I honestly don’t know what the solution is other than to hope Nintendo changes their stance, which doesn’t seem very likely at this point.

Here’s something that I’ve never shared with anyone before while we’re on the subject: Back when I was an active Brawl modder, the modding team I was a part of was contacted by IGN because they wanted to interview us and write an article about us. What initially got their attention was my K. Rool vertex edit over King Dedede. After a long discussion, we decided it would be best to pass on that opportunity in order to preserve the modding scene. We feared that a big spotlight from IGN would result in Nintendo shutting down the Brawl modding scene altogether. Did we make the right choice? I don’t know but I’m curious if things would be different today if we had taken the interview.
As things stand today (and obviously back then) your decision was probably the best call. I guess it's just a matter of slowly building support until people can be more vocal about it. If we don't start someday then we'll never get there though so while things take time and it's best we don't just loudly challenge the corporate beast in order to avoid unnecessary spotlight leading to harm done to the community but overall I think it's best to at least be open about generalized support for the modding and emulation communities or at least highlighting the value these practices brings to the medium as a whole and how it stems from an artistic tradition found across all categories of art.

The way I see it, Nintendo's not gonna respond unless they feel threatened (namely if Sony and/or Microsoft try to buy a Japanese company).
First and foremost I've never hitched any expectations to a Switch Pro even when everybody was acting like it was a guarantee because of notable sources like Bloomberg were banging the hype drum. Not that I think there was anything wrong with any of that but I've been predicting the successor to the Switch will be around 2025 because riding the Switch out for as long as they possibly can because that makes the most financial sense and I also think the company has the ambition to overthrow the PS2 as the best selling console. Sort of a pseudo reinstating of Nintendo as the top video company. I also think Nintendo much prefers to be in their own release window years away from Sony and Microsoft releases. I think the PRO models for Sony and Microsoft will show up around the end of 2024 at the latest.

Anyways, after this though, I'm slowly starting to believe they were serious about the 10-year thing... 2027... HOLY **** the Switch will be so tragically out of date by then oh my gosh can you imagine it trying to play modern games at that point? It'd be so pathetic. I know it's just a generic shareholders meeting Q & A where they give vague generalized answers on purpose but damn I don't even want to imagine the Switch trying to run Witcher 4 hahaha.

I don't want a pro model but if they wait THAT long I think they're going to have to release one next year-ish when the chip shortage is predicted to improve.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

Yeah, I can see Nintendo stepping in if it were Capcom, Square Enix or Namco.
  • Capcom has Monster Hunter, which is frickin' huge on portable Nintendo systems. Capcom also has alot of it's own games and franchises on the Nintendo Switch, including Megaman, Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Okami, etc.
  • Square Enix has Dragon Quest, as well as the Bravely series and the old-school RPGs they've been giving Nintendo, like Octopath Traveller and Triangle Strategy.
  • Namco may not have a lot of it's own franchises on Nintendo, but it's a big developer partner for Nintendo, having helped develop games like Star Fox Assault, Pokken Tournament, New Pokemon Snap and most famously, Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. And both Nintendo and Namco are on very good terms.
Out of these three, Nintendo would most certainly step in for Namco Bandai, due to Namco and Nintendo working together for alot of big games. But I can also see Nintendo stepping in regarding Capcom and Square Enix.
Aside from these three, the only other one I'm quite positive that Nintendo would step in for would be Koei Tecmo, with them also being a notable developer for Nintendo games like Hyrule Warriors, Age of Calamity, Fire Emblem Warriors and Fire Emblem Three Houses, as well as Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and Metroid Other M(but they weren't the issue with the game). Koei Tecmo also puts alot of it's developed games on Nintendo systems, like the Warriors series(like Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors and Warriors Orochi), Ninja Gaiden 3, Persona 5 Strikers, and the Atelier series, like Atelier Ryza.

That said, Sega is probably the only one I don't know what Nintendo would do. Like I would like to think Nintendo would step in with Sega, since Sonic is treated as a big deal by Nintendo, Nintendo requires Sega regarding Bayonetta since Sega still owns Bayonetta, despite Bayonetta 2 and 3 being fully funded and somewhat owned by Nintendo, and Atlus is a notable developer for Nintendo systems, with the Shin Megami Tensei series. But at the same time, I don't know how Nintendo views Sega as an entirety.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don’t know what would happen to FFVII Remake if Square-Enix we’re acquired by Nintendo. There’s no way those games could run on Nintendo hardware. Same goes for other games like Final Fantasy XVI.
I'm sure those would still be released on their initial platforms, what with contracts and all. After that? Who can say?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It'd be fine. Part 2 won't be ready till after Switch 2 comes out anyway.
Lol yeah that’s probably true. It might actually do the company some good to have some restrictions on hardware so they don’t end up spending 10+ years on one game. I’d love to go back to the glory days of FFVI-X.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The FF7 remake(s) could all come to Nintendo at a later moment , if their hardware can finally handle it. 5 more years with the Switch seems kinda long though, I'd probably say we're around 3/4th of it's lifespan. There definitely are big titles still coming, and it's not like Nintendo is prioritizing hardware and graphics anyway, and they shouldn't... It's not their trademark or one of their unique selling points.

Let Microsoft and Sony have their "beauty contests" with each other. I believe Nintendo will stay strong in what they've been doing so far, but potentially losing Capcom, Square, Sega, Koei Tecmo and Namco will hurt a lot.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The FF7 remake(s) could all come to Nintendo at a later moment , if their hardware can finally handle it.
Aside from a later system possibly having it if the next hardware is much better, if there's anything I'm imagining FFVII-related that could come to the Switch, it's that Compilation of FFVII thing they are doing for mobile phones. Ever Crisis I think it was called.

I'm starting to think buying a newer Switch than my old launch model is going to be worth it in a year or two. The longer Nintendo waits to release a new system, the less likely it seems that it will be backwards compatible with the old one. We could see physical games work on the new system, especially since the Switch is the only system since the GameCube to not do that, but I have doubts that Nintendo of all companies would transfer a decade of digital titles to the new system.

Aside from a later system possibly having it if the next hardware is much better, if there's anything I'm imagining FFVII-related that could come to the Switch, it's that Compilation of FFVII thing they are doing for mobile phones. Ever Crisis I think it was called.
I could definitely see Ever Crisis coming over when it's all complete. They also recently mentioned that there are more FFVII related projects coming beyond what's been announced. It would be funny if one of them was a pixel remaster version.

Top Bottom