• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
True, but I think trying to save funds helped out too.
What funds? They were still suffering from the Wii U's flop. :4pacman:

Joking aside, I really think it's just the limitations more than actually wanting to save funds. Like I said, too much power on something so small is just a bad idea. Just because Nintendo is a business doesn't mean every decision has to be about money.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Being fair, if I recall, the GameCube actually had the best graphical power out of its generation since it was the one time Nintendo said "**** it, we'll play their game"

So of course GameCube games would look a lot better.
Ironically, it was also the one time nobody wanted to buy a Nintendo console. Man, how times change...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Ironically, it was also the one time nobody wanted to buy a Nintendo console. Man, how times change...
Shows that we once were in an era where graphics weren't everything.

The lack of third-party support, the PS2's year-long early lead and the Xbox managing to release only days before the GameCube with actual online play ultimately made it really hard for the GameCube to really stand on its own.

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Being fair, if I recall, the GameCube actually had the best graphical power out of its generation since it was the one time Nintendo said "**** it, we'll play their game"

So of course GameCube games would look a lot better.
Nah, I think Nintendo was always going for power up until the Wii. The N64 was certainly no slouch in terms of performance, but its major issue was foregoing the use of discs, which ended up backfiring bigtime. If Nintendo decided to "play their game" with the GameCube, it'd only be in that the GameCube was their first time adopting such media, and even then, they compromised on using half-sized discs.

Or maybe it's because the idea of a full console the size of a tablet is still a concept that has a lot more limitations due to the smaller size?

I bet if it was powerful enough to keep up with the competition, there'd be so much energy/heat covering so little space that you'd either not be able to hold it without burning your fingers or it would outright melt.
Come to think of it, I wonder what you could get if you put something on the level of the Switch's tech inside of something the size of the original GameBoy (which, nowadays, gets compared to carrying around a brick).

The biggest challenge Nintendo faces in their next hardware endeavor is going to depend greatly on whether or not they continue the hybrid model. If it's a handheld again we're going to see it use another mobile chipset to avoid overheating though 4k is definitely on the table with Nvidia DLSS. Buut if it's a standalone console then there's no reason why it couldn't compete with the PS5. Thing is the hybrid model has done so well it seems foolish not to keep it.
Yeah, I really do want them to keep moving forward with the hybrid concept. As I mentioned earlier, Nintendo's division of console and portable development was absolutely awful for the WiiU, so I don't want them to go back to such a de-centralized model when it's really no longer necessary. For that matter, now that they finally found something that works, it'd be nice if they stopped chasing after control gimmicks and just went back to doing console upgrades like the NES to SNES, or N64 to GameCube. Just simply having the same thing as before but more powerful.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
For that matter, now that they finally found something that works, it'd be nice if they stopped chasing after control gimmicks and just went back to doing console upgrades like the NES to SNES, or N64 to GameCube. Just simply having the same thing as before but more powerful.
They're probably going to have to do that to really secure their relationship with AAA third-parties. A lot of them don't wanna do Switch ports because of just how much better the PS5 and Series X hardware is, and since the Switch is two generations behind them as opposed to the Wii being one gen behind the PS360, that's potentially an even bigger power gap.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
They're probably going to have to do that to really secure their relationship with AAA third-parties. A lot of them don't wanna do Switch ports because of just how much better the PS5 and Series X hardware is, and since the Switch is two generations behind them as opposed to the Wii being one gen behind the PS360, that's potentially an even bigger power gap.
Counterpoint: Nintendo doesn't need AAA 3rd party titles because that's not their target audience.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

THE RIDE NEVER ENDS

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

THE RIDE NEVER ENDS
No, they deconfirmed Evil Ryu! WWWWHHHHYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

THE RIDE NEVER ENDS
I can't believe they deconfirmed Evil Ryu for Ultimate.

2022 is starting terribly.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

THE RIDE NEVER ENDS
It's weird that they're only just patching in a spirit which isn't just for upcoming releases like every other spirit event, especially when this one coulda and daresay shoulda been in since base game lol... I'm surprised it's new especially given it's a pretty important version of an already represented character owned by Capcom of all companies... Is odd they're doing it at the tail end of development of all times, but better late than never I guess...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Excuse me NEW SPIRIT?! no this is not a drill

I legit thought Dread was the last new spirit event

:ultgreninja: ‘d

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman

THE RIDE NEVER ENDS
Wow..... so, I'm not gonna get my hopes up that this is a sign of bigger updates to come, or even a Fighter's Pass 3, but I wonder if I'd be right in assuming that there will be more Spirit Board events to come after this.

It's weird that they're only just patching in a spirit which isn't just for upcoming releases like every other spirit event, especially when this one coulda and daresay shoulda been in since base game lol... I'm surprised it's new especially given it's a pretty important version of an already represented character owned by Capcom of all companies... Is odd they're doing it at the tail end of development of all times, but better late than never I guess...
Exactly. 35th anniversary or not, they already said that Spirit Boards are done. And the supposed end to Ultimate updates didn't keep the LONG anticipated release of Shin Megami Tensei 5 from getting Spirits, so why should this one Spirit that could've been in base game be the only exception?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
No, not Ryu Who Woke Up To The Wave Of Murderousness! Why would they kill his chances?
He woke up to the wave of characters' chances getting murdered.

Or tried to, but he's a late sleeper.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wow..... so, I'm not gonna get my hopes up that this is a sign of bigger updates to come, or even a Fighter's Pass 3, but I wonder if I'd be right in assuming that there will be more Spirit Board events to come after this.

Exactly. 35th anniversary or not, they already said that Spirit Boards are done. And the supposed end to Ultimate updates didn't keep the LONG anticipated release of Shin Megami Tensei 5 from getting Spirits, so why should this one Spirit that could've been in base game be the only exception?
At LEAST give us the Undertale spirit event we’ve wanted for so long…

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I have some doubts.

The very fact that they didn't even do a 3rd anniversary event for Ultimate itself and that this new event is specifically for Street Fighter's 35th anniversary, meaning doing it in 2021 would be too early, tells me that we're not really gonna see a lot of this. This event was likely just held off until it made sense.

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
No, not Ryu Who Woke Up To The Wave Of Murderousness! Why would they kill his chances?
LOL! Machine translations. This is why I prefer the old-fashioned way: just my own knowledge of Japanese and a dictionary to assist with any unknown vocabulary.

At LEAST give us the Undertale spirit event we’ve wanted for so long…
At this point, I wouldn't expect it. Nevertheless, it is a damn shame how many Mii costumes have absolutely nothing of representation outside of the costume itself (though Sans did get a BGM too).

KillerCage

Smash Master
Excuse me NEW SPIRIT?! no this is not a drill

I legit thought Dread was the last new spirit event

:ultgreninja: ‘d
I'M SORRY!
WHAT!?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway if Jet Force Gemini and/or Blast Corps are among however many more new spirit events they plan to do y’all owe me $100 collectively /hj

context: those two and Devil’s Third are dummied out strings in the code of Ultimate, most likely for scrapped spirits

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Evil Ryu spirit is rather random, but at least it means we're still getting new spirits. I wonder what else we could get; I wouldn't be surprised if we got some new Persona spirits once Persona 4 Arena Ultimax launches on Switch, though I'm not sure who. (I haven't played much of Persona 3 yet, but maybe Aigis? Yu and Teddie seem like safe bets, if we get any)

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The Evil Ryu spirit is rather random, but at least it means we're still getting new spirits. I wonder what else we could get; I wouldn't be surprised if we got some new Persona spirits once Persona 4 Arena Ultimax launches on Switch, though I'm not sure who. (I haven't played much of Persona 3 yet, but maybe Aigis? Yu and Teddie seem like safe bets, if we get any)
THERE’S STILL HOPE FOR NEO TWEWY!!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I literally came back to go "huh?"

Like, I thought all support for the game was done already, even the skeleton crew of the skeleton crew was done.

As for why I've been gone so long, I couldn't think of a future for Smash. I tried so hard, but in the end, nothing really felt like a satisfying next time, it was either a repeat of Ultimate or a tough sell post-Ultimate.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
This also may be part of the deal struck back when they decided to add Arthur and MH spirits, potentially at Capcom's behest. Not like a new game is being promoted, or its new key art, so this could've been planned a long time ago.

But it's cool support has extended in 2022. Not going to expect anything else, which leaves any future additions a nice surprise like this.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Just remember to keep your expectations low.

There's a chance this could be the only new event.
Damn, straight still with the pessimism. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of ten people in the world who can get my hopes up and not act like my world is melting when it doesn't work out. Even the latest Spider-Man movie has a message against this world view, like damn folks.

I find this hilarious because it's just another case of lies being told. Even if we get no more spirit events after this, saying everything was done was a lie, and somehow I can't help but laugh that people fall for the lies of Smash all the time...even tiny ones that don't mean much like this.

I think my friend group even joked about them still doing spirits even after they said they were done as a 'gotcha moment', but as it turns out we were right.

Shroob

Sup?
Damn, straight still with the pessimism. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of ten people in the world who can get my hopes up and not act like my world is melting when it doesn't work out. Even the latest Spider-Man movie has a message against this world view, like damn folks.

I find this hilarious because it's just another case of lies being told. Even if we get no more spirit events after this, saying everything was done was a lie, and somehow I can't help but laugh that people fall for the lies of Smash all the time...even tiny ones that don't mean much like this.

I think my friend group even joked about them still doing spirits even after they said they were done as a 'gotcha moment', but as it turns out we were right.
What lie?

That Spirit Events were "ending"? Because if so, that's not even remotely what Sakurai said in the first place, but everyone, as the Smash community does, took what he said out of context and ran with it.

If you look at any article pushing the narrative that Spirit events were "done", they'll all point to this tweet in particular:

And if you actually read it, nowhere does it say that new Spirit Events are done, just that going forward, they'll repeat the prior events; notice that there's zero mention of new events being impossible. It's sites that report on every little thing that Sakurai says that said the events were 'done', and all because Sakurai said that old events would start being re-ran.

So no, there's no "lies of Smash" here, because the only lie here is news sites taking a Tweet completely out of context. New spirit events were always on the table, Sakurai never said they were finished. Step down from your soapbox, put away your "I WAS RIGHT" spiel, because you're having an "AHA!" moment over something that never was even said in the first place, something even you didn't fact check.

tl;dr

The narrative of "Spirit Events are done" isn't from Sakurai or any Nintendo source, it's entirely from news sites taking this tweet and taking it out of context. The only lie is what the news sites said, NOT Sakurai/Nintendo.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Man, my OCD is going to really bother me with Evil Ryu jumping onto the next row after the KH spirits.

As a solution, I require at least a whole row of new spirits. Thank you.

Cool to see a new spirit though.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just out of fun, I tried coming up with which series could warrant a new Spirit Event this year.

The Legend of Zelda: BotW2
Kirby: and the Forgotten Land
Pokemon: Legends Arceus
Splatoon: Splatoon 3
Sonic the Hedgehog: Frontiers
Bayonetta: Bayo 3
Persona: 25th anniversary

dream1ng

Smash Lord

It's wild how often you find fault with others for things you also, memorably, do. You must have a very dim opinion of others' recollection of your past posts.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Can't believe Smash Speculation is still back on the table.

New spirits. Who wouldve thunk'd?
Come to think of it, should we still be using this one thread for all speculation? Even though it's still NOT the "next Smash"?

Granted, I guess Spirit Board events are decidedly different from speculation of new characters. But on the slim chance that they do announce something in that regard (be it Fighter's Pass 3, a stand-alone DLC release, or whatever), there'll be no reason not to give us our friggin' newcomer threads again.

Top Bottom