• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Get rid of the assist trophies, and replace them with a special mechanic (similar on how in DKC2/3 you turn into the animals) where the FS Meter is full, then push A, and you become the assist. Opinions?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Get rid of the assist trophies, and replace them with a special mechanic (similar on how in DKC2/3 tu run into the animals) where the FS Meter is full, then push A, and you become the assist. Opinions?
I think that's a pretty bad idea that outright wouldn't work with a lot of assist characters and feels both unnecessary and clunky at the same time.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Get rid of the assist trophies, and replace them with a special mechanic (similar on how in DKC2/3 you turn into the animals) where the FS Meter is full, then push A, and you become the assist. Opinions?
…Suddenly, the timeline where an AT was promoted in Vol. 2 doesn’t sound nearly as bad as I made it out to be. And that’s saying a lot, considering how controversial I am about that idea by itself.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't see why not on Ultimate DX. :bowsette: I'd buy it. So would millions of other people.
Because it'd make it more likely I'd get base game newcomers that aren't just the obligatory new Pokemon or FE rep if the whole roster doesn't come back?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And not only that Smash Ultimate's engine is reused from Smash 4. I don't know if they would want to keep working on a near decade old engine that at the time the next Smash is released would be 2 console gens behind. And not only that a lot of the models are also reused from Smash 4. I don't know if they would even want to just port Ultimate to the newest system and add more new characters, considering that of the 11 base game characters 6 were derived from another fighter, and there were only four new stages.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And not only that Smash Ultimate's engine is reused from Smash 4. I don't know if they would want to keep working on a near decade old engine that at the time the next Smash is released would be 2 console gens behind. And not only that a lot of the models are also reused from Smash 4. I don't know if they would even want to just port Ultimate to the newest system and add more new characters, considering that of the 11 base game characters 6 were derived from another fighter, and there were only four new stages.
True, the engine was build off from Smash 4. That's totally obvious, the models too. But if it's not broken, why fix it ? Ultimate has a great engine, a great speed that's great for both competitive and casual play, great balance amongst the cast too, and a huge and lovable cast, the only problem I see is the input delay and bad online. If those can be improved, graphics get a good upgrade, one player mode is improved upon or at least there's promise for a massive one player adventure mode which might be DLC, or the simple return of a mode like Smash Run, add a couple of newcomers half being Echoes (going from Ken like Echoes to Isabelle types of newcomers) and I think the game would be a massive succes.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Pokemon fandom is not mad about games being similar.

They're mad at the removal of features and characters...

Which is what you're suggesting.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
As someone who liked USUM since it's release, I can guarantee that this is false. The fanbase was whining very hard about how it's the same game without any differences unlike Platinum or Emerald (in spite of USUM changing far more than both, and really only losing to BW2 in the department of changing stuff the original did).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If I were in charge of an Ultimate DX, I’d add the following:
Features
-Rollback netcode.
-Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
-Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
-Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive play.
-Bring back remaining missing Stages
-Bring back the Smash Run map as a Battle Royal. (64 players teleport in. Players run around killing creeps and collecting upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 surviving players have a Smash match.)

Characters
-Conduct another Smash Ballot
-Add Mii Mages at launch
-Add DLC characters, alternating between Ballot winners and my personal most wanteds until the budget runs out.

Last edited:
Features
-Rollback netcode.
-Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
-Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
-Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive play.
-Kirby style Boss Rush mode.
-Bring back the Smash Run map as a Battle Royal. (64 players teleport in. Players run around killing creeps and collecting upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 surviving players have a Smash match.)

Characters
-Conduct another Smash Ballot
-Add Mii Mages at launch
-Add DLC characters, alternating between Ballot winners and my personal most wanteds until the budget runs out.
My are similar, but those things I could want:
Features:
  • Add Classic Mode creator
  • Toggle On/Off Assist Trophies/Pokemon you want.
  • Make a another story mode, but it's a prequel to World of Light.
  • Make your own Alternate costumes.
  • Add more modes like King of the Hill
  • Add more Assist Trophies and you can use them at competitive matches.
  • Add more Bosses like Aparoid Queen or Dragaux

Characters:
  • Conduct another Ballot, but you can't vote for 4th Parties.
  • Add Mii Ninja and Mii Athlete class to Smash!
  • Add DLC Characters, altering between Ballot, Personal Most Wanteds and Character, who are important for history of Nintendo Allstars/Celebration of Gaming (ExciteBiker and Kratos for example)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think instead a better system would be:
-At character select, choose your Fighter, then choose an Assist Trophy.
-When FS Meter is full, you can summon your Assist instead of using your FS.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As someone who liked USUM since it's release, I can guarantee that this is false. The fanbase was whining very hard about how it's the same game without any differences unlike Platinum or Emerald (in spite of USUM changing far more than both, and really only losing to BW2 in the department of changing stuff the original did).
Swamp was mostly referring to the basic gameplay of Pokemon being very similar across generations, not how similar SM and USM were.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If those can be improved, graphics get a good upgrade, one player mode is improved upon or at least there's promise for a massive one player adventure mode which might be DLC, or the simple return of a mode like Smash Run, add a couple of newcomers half being Echoes (going from Ken like Echoes to Isabelle types of newcomers) and I think the game would be a massive succes.
But the problem there is...ports don't get enough funding to do all that. At best they'd only receive enough funds to relicense every fighter and base game spirit that needs relicensing, nothing more.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I’m glad you made this comparison to MK8. I was actually waiting on it because, an Ultimate Deluxe likely wouldn’t follow that pattern because there’s another deluxe game that everyone forgot about.

Pokken.

Pokken DX not only brought all the stuff over from the Wii U version but also all the stuff from the arcade version and THEN had two dlc packs featuring two brand new, made for the version, newcomers. And who made Pokken? Yep, Bamco.
I'm not sure if Pokken DX is the best example as the four of the five newcomers added at base not only already existed in the arcade version (as you said) but were intentionally locked out of the Wii U version as they had code in the game for their inclusion, but they were saved for the next game. Unless they scrapped some newcomers very late in their development an Ultimate DX is not going to have those completed assets ready and waiting for use upon making the next game and would have to be made from scratch like Decidueye, of which we only had it as a newcomer going into base DX.

Another thing is that DX's DLC cycle was rather short as it was announced and released within a very short timeframe (IIRC, it was at best six months) and then done with six months more of support. An Ultimate DX with that similar limitation would hypothetically give around two to three characters, which would even be lower then Smash 4.

In the end it's not the most applicable example nor does it really add a lot when you break down what was truly made from scratch in the transition from the Wii U/Arcade versions to the DX one. You'd still get a limited amount of new content out of the game, and while it's better than the Mario Karth 8 situation it's not by leaps and bounds either.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
given another AAA budget (maybe even bigger than the first go-around) and having all these years available until a Switch successor in the interim just feels like an absolutely stellar opportunity worth taking the series in hence the passion for a project that might not ever exist.
It seems pretty unlikely they'd do a port with a big AAA budget like that. It's a huge business risk to put a ton of money into trying to resell something that is fundamentally the same game as before.

"All these years available until a Switch successor in the interim": time is not on your side if you're wanting a port. More time just means the engine and graphics of Ult will look even more dated and less likely to carry over well to a new game.

the Breath of the Wild team is making use of the same philosophy and by the time BOTW2 is released it'll have been 5 years since they started with BOTW's openworld, models and physics as their base so suffice to say people's expectations are high. Same would be true for an Ultimate DX
BOTW is not a good comparison because in the RPG genre you can use the same engine to deliver an entirely new full-length story experience and it is much easier in that genre to add significant new gameplay mechanics on top of the engine. For a fighting game like Smash, any new story/adventure mode they could add would be side-content at best and it is hard to introduce significant new core mechanics without creating a workload and balancing nightmare. But mainly it's that RPGs are much more story-centric and so two games on the same console with the same engine is much more desirable to do.

--

BTW, here's an idea to really have an "all-inclusive" Smash game: engine settings. Some of the Darkstalkers compilations have it so you could set the game to play like some of the older entries (including specific version updates), so I wonder if Smash could do something similar. Maybe that could finally please the Melee crowd
Nice idea, but probably not worth it from the developer's perspective. Most likely this would take too much work to balance properly and would come at a risk of alienating casuals. Like, imagine going to someone else's place to play the game only to find out that it's at a completely different pace and mechanical feel. Homogeneity of gameplay is more conducive to people actually getting together to compete against each other.

--

True, the engine was build off from Smash 4. That's totally obvious, the models too. But if it's not broken, why fix it ?
As has already been stated, it might not even be workable on the next console. But even if it is workable, maybe they still want to do something new and quite possibly better. "Not broken, why fix" is not really a great attitude to have for developing any new game anyway.

--

They're mad at the removal of features and characters...
I don't want to go too far down this road as it risks being off-topic, but (1) I know several Pokemon fans that are discontent or even stopped buying the games in part because they haven't changed much from gen to gen; and (2) just because people are angry about removals doesn't mean the anger is justified or that adding back the removed content would actually make the game any better, especially from a game design perspective. Having 800+ playable characters in almost any game is just a gimmick more than it is actually good design. And if anything, Game Freak put themselves into a corner much faster than was necessary by not reigning in the number of new Mons in each gen. EiH could end up being a parallel, where fans focus so much on everyone getting their single most favorite character back that they stop caring about actually making a well-designed game with a roster selection that is as fair as is practically possible.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And if anything, Game Freak put themselves into a corner much faster than was necessary by not reigning in the number of new Mons in each gen
Haven't they kind of been doing that since Gen 6? Less than 100 mons per gen, with alternate forms for older mons taking priority over reaching triple digits when it comes to all-new pocket monsters.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Haven't they kind of been doing that since Gen 6? Less than 100 mons per gen, with alternate forms for older mons taking priority over reaching triple digits when it comes to all-new pocket monsters.
Yeah but I think it was too little too late. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that Gen 6 is also when they had to switch to 3D models instead of sprites.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah but I think it was too little too late. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that Gen 6 is also when they had to switch to 3D models instead of sprites.
To be fair it wouldn't have been Gen 5 that started the trend anyway. With one of its premises being that all the Pokemon you encounter are new, they really needed to make over 100 mons to make that more interesting.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
To be fair it wouldn't have been Gen 5 that started the trend anyway. With one of its premises being that all the Pokemon you encounter are new, they really needed to make over 100 mons to make that more interesting.
Yeah Gen 5 was a bit weird in that it tried to hit the soft reboot button but they still left the ability to obtain the mons from previous gens thru transfer. IMO what Gen 5 tried to do wasn't gonna work because many of the early-gen Mons are too iconic for them all to be ditched completely. In hindsight Gen 5 just made the whole situation even harder to deal with and was probably not the best way to go about dealing with a rising number of Pokémon.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Man, remember when everybody hated Gen 5? And now Pokemon has been doing everything it can to avoid doing that again? We didn't realise what we had until it was gone...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah Gen 5 was a bit weird in that it tried to hit the soft reboot button but they still left the ability to obtain the mons from previous gens thru transfer. IMO what Gen 5 tried to do wasn't gonna work because many of the early-gen Mons are too iconic for them all to be ditched completely. In hindsight Gen 5 just made the whole situation even harder to deal with and was probably not the best way to go about dealing with a rising number of Pokémon.
I’m completely fine with Gen 5’s way of handling things. As long as all the Pokémon are transferrable, I thought it was actually fun to play through the game with completely new Pokémon. Gen 8 bothers me because there is no way to use a lot of my favorites at all. I understand why they did it but their PR couldn’t have been much worse the way they revealed that.

In contrast, I really appreciate Sakurai letting us know in advance that he might not be able to bring everyone back next time. I’ll still be disappointed if that happens but I can’t really be too upset. I’d be more forgiving with GameFreak if they let us know in the beginning of Gen 7 that it would be the last time we’d see all the Pokémon in one game. The way they did it makes them seem like they don’t care.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I’m completely fine with Gen 5’s way of handling things. As long as all the Pokémon are transferrable, I thought it was actually fun to play through the game with completely new Pokémon. Gen 8 bothers me because there is no way to use a lot of my favorites at all. I understand why they did it but their PR couldn’t have been much worse the way they revealed that.
Gen 5 was fine on its own, but my point was that it exacerbated the already-apparent issue of continuing to add exorbitant amounts of new Pokémon.
A little more on-topic, could you imagine if Smash did something like this lol? Like if the base roster was all newcomers and you could only unlock Mario by (1) completing WoL or whatever other story mode they decide to implement and (2) also owning a copy of the previous Smash game.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Gen 5 was fine on its own, but my point was that it exacerbated the already-apparent issue of continuing to add exorbitant amounts of new Pokémon.
A little more on-topic, could you imagine if Smash did something like this lol? Like if the base roster was all newcomers and you could only unlock Mario by (1) completing WoL or whatever other story mode they decide to implement and (2) also owning a copy of the previous Smash game.
That would honestly be fine with me as well. As long as the end result is having all the characters, I’m okay with having to unlock them. A starting roster of all newcomers would be fun as long as the others are fun and not too hard to unlock.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
But...wasn't Ultimate their opportunity to make a new game with a ton of recycled assets? And why do you keep saying it'd be a "waste" when you can always go back to Ultimate if you want certain characters?

Honestly I'm wishing more and more that they went with the "Special" subtitle everywhere. At least then people would understand this game is just a special occasion, and not TEH ULTIMATEST GAEM THAT MUST BE PORTED FOREVAR!!!!1111ONE
Well first it wasn't always treated like the reused asset game it is today thanks to Sakurai's own admission of such. At the beginning it was absolutely NOT marketed like a port and the fandom at-large had a very negative reaction to anybody that believed (and rightfully they've been vindicated) as such. Only after the game was a success and in the middle of its DLC was Sakurai more willing to admit this. Second it's because it's significantly more realized than Smash 4 was while also still having plenty of room to expand. Actually because of its marketing and success, it's seen as an even bigger opportunity than Smash 4 ever could have been. Smash 4 wasn't like a dozen or so stages away from having Everywhere is Here. Smash 4 didn't have Everyone is Here. Nobody cared about the Wii U so the netcode didn't matter. Reworks weren't talked about. The separated modes between the Wii U/3DS were seen as a feature not a bug and so on and so forth.

To address your other point about it not being a waste because we can play Ultimate I believe that's a non-sequitur. It makes no difference whether we can play Ultimate in regards to arguments in favor of an "enhanced port" of Ultimate.

While you're entitled to your opinion and I respect that we differ I still don't appreciate the insinuation that I've some spastic, crazed, and/or entitled person simply because I think wanting to retain EiH for another entry is preferable to cuts. In the post you quoted I admitted that they can't just port Ultimate forever. I don't see the harm in one more go-around is all. I think I've explained multiple times the strengths in that design philosophy and I've maintained my position quite respectfully.

I enjoy reading opinions that differ as long as they're detailed. I appreciate the chance to argue my side against the other to the best of both of our abilities.

It seems pretty unlikely they'd do a port with a big AAA budget like that. It's a huge business risk to put a ton of money into trying to resell something that is fundamentally the same game as before.

"All these years available until a Switch successor in the interim": time is not on your side if you're wanting a port. More time just means the engine and graphics of Ult will look even more dated and less likely to carry over well to a new game.
Ideally it would fundamentally not be the same game anymore. Stage Builder would be a massive buff with the additions of the likes of BTT and BTP to that mode plus new tools. Rollback netcode, an arsenal of new characters. You could even change the name away from the Ultimate DX we all use to talk about it. It doesn't have to be called Ultimate DX. If it was such a huge business risk then I guess Nintendo likes to take huge business risks because not only have they done it for Smash 4 to Ultimate but they did for MK8 DX, Pokken Tournament DX, New Super Mario Bros DX and yes BOTW2.

Nintendo doesn't really compete in graphics though either. I'd imagine the developers would do whatever they did from 4 to Ultimate. One issue I've had is with most of the cast's fur and hair. They could all use a bit of an improvement in that area specifically. It's not that important though. What they have if functional. If that improvement was possible I'd welcome it as a great addition to the "graphics" of the game. I'm guessing a Switch successor console could theoretically be powerful enough to usher in these improvements.

Also Smash isn't about cutting-edge graphics. They kind of went for that with Brawl and they haven't really tried it again since. Actually the developers have stated publicly that because of the inclusion of "cartoony" characters that the entire cast has to be sort of cartoonified to look natural among them.

BOTW is not a good comparison because in the RPG genre you can use the same engine to deliver an entirely new full-length story experience and it is much easier in that genre to add significant new gameplay mechanics on top of the engine. For a fighting game like Smash, any new story/adventure mode they could add would be side-content at best and it is hard to introduce significant new core mechanics without creating a workload and balancing nightmare. But mainly it's that RPGs are much more story-centric and so two games on the same console with the same engine is much more desirable to do.
I don't see how it's any different really. After all the point at which they're starting is supposedly the most balanced Smash yet. Just maintain the philosophy they used going into Ultimate in regards to balancing if it's working so well. What they could add to an Ultimate DX isn't limited to modes either. Costumes, new characters, new stages, rollback netcode, new attacks, reworks, new special Smash, advanced rules and so on. The sky is the limit hence Sora Unlimited haha have to.

It's a given that games of different genres have different hurdles in development but that doesn't mean they're impossible or not worth the work. I think I've shown that Nintendo has used this design philosophy before and they're potential solutions to any developmental/marketing obstacle. You just have to plan it out.

I could see Nintendo not wanting to use the Ultimate DX moniker for the reasons you've stated. So give it a brand new name. You say there's hurdles in development well give Sakurai a bigger team/budget like he's kind of implying he wants. EiH would be impossible to do with a new engine/game started from the ground up? Then port it again but give the team more time this time (Ultimate was in development for like 2 and half years) with the aforementioned bigger team and budget. Is it worth it to put money into this game again and what about the licensing issues? Do a double-release strategy like you did in Smash 4 except this time it's one super game on one platform instead of the same game on two different platforms.

Nice idea, but probably not worth it from the developer's perspective. Most likely this would take too much work to balance properly and would come at a risk of alienating casuals. Like, imagine going to someone else's place to play the game only to find out that it's at a completely different pace and mechanical feel. Homogeneity of gameplay is more conducive to people actually getting together to compete against each other.
I mostly agree with this but for anybody still interested in this idea look at this! THIS is what's still possible with Ultimate as it exists today and this was just done by passionate modders. I'd love to have these all introduced as toggleable options in an Ultimate DX's advanced rules settings.

As has already been stated, it might not even be workable on the next console. But even if it is workable, maybe they still want to do something new and quite possibly better. "Not broken, why fix" is not really a great attitude to have for developing any new game anyway.
I think an Ultimate DX can do borderline anything a new ground up entry could and there as some major things like retaining EiH that only an Ultimate DX can do. I think it's fair to believe an Ultimate DX can be just as new and better.

EiH could end up being a parallel, where fans focus so much on everyone getting their single most favorite character back that they stop caring about actually making a well-designed game with a roster selection that is as fair as is practically possible.
I think the fact that Ultimate didn't live up to all of its potential leaves the room for a more well-designed game. That's what myself and most others on here are advocating for. A more fully-realized Ultimate. If we're being honest the Ultimate Smash has some major pitfalls holding it back. I simply hope a new game could allow for the developers to open up the game to these possibilities.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also Smash isn't about cutting-edge graphics. They kind of went for that with Brawl and they haven't really tried it again since. Actually the developers have stated publicly that because of the inclusion of "cartoony" characters that the entire cast has to be sort of cartoonified to look natural among them.
Smash IS about pushing whatever console it's on to its limit regardless. That's why they did 8-Player Smash as soon as it was viable, and why there can now be 2 ATs active on the Switch instead of one.
I think the fact that Ultimate didn't live up to all of its potential
It didn't live up to its potential because of the resources that had to be spent on third-party licensing and the roster being huge as-is. Even if the passes weren't about abusing the everliving hell out of third-party hype I'm sure we'd only get 11 more fighters from them so as to not stress out the devs too much.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Smash IS about pushing whatever console it's on to its limit regardless. That's why they did 8-Player Smash as soon as it was viable, and why there can now be 2 ATs active on the Switch instead of one.

It didn't live up to its potential because of the resources that had to be spent on third-party licensing and the roster being huge as-is. Even if the passes weren't about abusing the everliving hell out of third-party hype I'm sure we'd only get 11 more fighters from them so as to not stress out the devs too much.
That doesn't negate that Nintendo isn't chasing graphics and that Smash 4 to Ultimate did see improvements to the graphics and engine while still reusing assets. If Nintendo keeps the hybrid model like they should they literally just can't chase graphics in the same way as the other two.

How Ultimate didn't live up to its potential is a matter of personal preference. I was mostly implying the online held it back significantly.

Well given how well-received Smash was this cycle, being thatSmash 4 was in no way treated as glowingly as Ultimate is (Smash 4 was treated more like a solid entry into the series) Ultimate really solidified Smash's legacy and I think that's in part due to the Switch's hybrid nature allowing for the transition from 4's split release better (side note is the best thing Nintendo's ever done for their business getting rid of the split developmental divisions) but also I think it's not a coincidence that the title that brought forth the concept of "Everyone is Here!" has established the franchise so affirmatively as it has in the gaming zeitgeist.

Top Bottom