• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Those are some pretty cool ones! Here are some others I thought of:
  • Donkey Kong: Comedy road trip kind of scenario
  • Cloud: Trying to rest somewhere to handle his motion sickness, only to encounter Sephiroth...again
Here some more:

Mario: Going one of his adventures like usual does after "waking up" from being a trophies and is exploring the Smash Verse

Kirby: He's hungry and looking for food to eat

Pikachu: Competing at different gym and stadium to become strong enough for him and trainer to catch Mewtwo

Luigi: Exploring the night to conquer his fears

Dark Samus: Her plan of corrupting the Smash Fighters to join her side

Ryu: Him travelling the word for a worthy challenger

Joker: His mission to free the Smash fighters from the shadows.

Ness: Him returning home after Onett

The problem with this is about half of the Smash cast has pretty much no real dialogue, and several of the ones that do would need to be re-dubbed in multiple languages. Hell, it's funny that you use Wii Fit Trainer as an example, considering she's one of the only characters to have a separate American and British English voice (and then just to make it even more complicated, there's also a female and male variant).

Still, I don't think it'd be too difficult to implement something along the lines of Melee's Adventure cutscenes.
I think using suitable voice clips & textboxes should be fine

I know people are bringing up Pokemon having Pokedex entries as proof that trophies could be possible, but it's actually the opposite.

Pokemon stopped having Pokedex entries for every Pokemon years ago. And the reason for it was that it was too much work and cost too much money.

The amount of trophies that there would probably be would be similar to the amount of Pokemon there are currently. If even a JRPG is like, "no that's too much," what makes you think a fighting game would say yes?
No offense but Pokémon isn't exactly the benchmark for effort or putting their hardest when it comes to games. More for cutting corners for cheapest sake

Plus as mentioned, other JRPGs like DQ11 were able to do the same

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
All right. What about the Metroid Prime trilogy and all the scanning ?
First off, Metroid Prime was done in the US and released there first. To localize it for Japan and all of Europe, it took them much longer. It took 3 months to localize the game for Japan, and another 4 for Europe. Most games that might have heavy text, even from Nintendo, take time to localize. Wind Waker took an extra three months to get to the states. Perhaps the perfect example of how localization holds a game up is Brawl. Brawl took almost five months to come the Europe and Australia, and ~6 weeks to come to the US. It's not just JRPGs: The more text your game has, the harder localization becomes. If you have more text in your game, it becomes more expensive and harder to localize. Trophies as a result end up a massive drain on resources and make it harder for the game to reach its global release window.
I know people are bringing up Pokemon having Pokedex entries as proof that trophies could be possible, but it's actually the opposite.

Pokemon stopped having Pokedex entries for every Pokemon years ago. And the reason for it was that it was too much work and cost too much money.

The amount of trophies that there would probably be would be similar to the amount of Pokemon there are currently. If even a JRPG is like, "no that's too much," what makes you think a fighting game would say yes?
Very good point, with Pokemon even stepping further away from doing this with their dex cuts and many dex entries being recycled for what is almost unarguably a more important addition than trophies are to smash, why should smash spend so much time and resources on trophies?

In order to steer discussion away from this, I wanted to bring up one other aspect I think would be interesting to see them tackle for the next game, and that is stages. I think it is no secret that with how many stages they had to do from the ground up, such as any of the Melee and Brawl stages not in the Wii U version as well as all the 3DS stages that came over, we did not get that many new stages. Combine that with the only stages in the basegame being either from new series or from the only other two games predating Ultimate in terms of switch development, there is plenty of room for new stages to show off the Switch era or Nintendo history as a whole. What kind of stages would you all like? Here are a few I think would be reasonably likely or cool to see.
  • Zone 36 (Astral Chain)
  • Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
  • Remix (Rhythm Heaven)
  • Splatsville (Spatoon 3)
  • Forgotten Lands (Kirby)
  • The Last Resort (Luigi's Mansion 3)
  • The Wild Area (Sword and Shield)
  • Kamura Village (MH Rise)
  • Tal Tal Heights (Link's Awakening)
  • Frozen Fruits (Tropical Freeze)
  • Da'At (Shin Megami Tensei V)
  • Lake Lapcat (Mario 3D World Bowser's Fury)
  • Beginnia (Ring Fit Adventure)
  • Something from Get it Together!, I am struggling to think of an easy stage to do.
That's just going over big Switch releases of note. You could throw on more third party games, but I wanted to solely focus on big Switch releases this time, hence why there are only two third party games on there.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
First off, Metroid Prime was done in the US and released there first. To localize it for Japan and all of Europe, it took them much longer. It took 3 months to localize the game for Japan, and another 4 for Europe. Most games that might have heavy text, even from Nintendo, take time to localize. Wind Waker took an extra three months to get to the states. Perhaps the perfect example of how localization holds a game up is Brawl. Brawl took almost five months to come the Europe and Australia, and ~6 weeks to come to the US. It's not just JRPGs: The more text your game has, the harder localization becomes. If you have more text in your game, it becomes more expensive and harder to localize. Trophies as a result end up a massive drain on resources and make it harder for the game to reach its global release window.

Very good point, with Pokemon even stepping further away from doing this with their dex cuts and many dex entries being recycled for what is almost unarguably a more important addition than trophies are to smash, why should smash spend so much time and resources on trophies?

In order to steer discussion away from this, I wanted to bring up one other aspect I think would be interesting to see them tackle for the next game, and that is stages. I think it is no secret that with how many stages they had to do from the ground up, such as any of the Melee and Brawl stages not in the Wii U version as well as all the 3DS stages that came over, we did not get that many new stages. Combine that with the only stages in the basegame being either from new series or from the only other two games predating Ultimate in terms of switch development, there is plenty of room for new stages to show off the Switch era or Nintendo history as a whole. What kind of stages would you all like? Here are a few I think would be reasonably likely or cool to see.
  • Zone 36 (Astral Chain)
  • Remix (Rhythm Heaven)
  • Something from Get it Together!, I am struggling to think of an easy stage to do.
That's just going over big Switch releases of note. You could throw on more third party games, but I wanted to solely focus on big Switch releases this time, hence why there are only two third party games on there.
Thank you for your patience and all the explanations !

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai did say the smash games in total have costed like some ridiculous amount of cash. I don't know exactly but it was probably at least like 10 million yen, which, even when split between the 5 smash games, is still pretty ridiculous in regards to any game, especially one like smash. Still though, chances are it was way more..
Isn't 10 million yen just a bit over 100,000 US dollars? That actually sounds pretty cheap if true. I mean, I know Nintendo doesn't bloat their budget the way AAA games do (AAA being notorious for burning money in a way that could make Hollywood blush), but I would have expect their more high-profile releases to at least have a production cost in the millions.

In order to steer discussion away from this, I wanted to bring up one other aspect I think would be interesting to see them tackle for the next game, and that is stages. I think it is no secret that with how many stages they had to do from the ground up, such as any of the Melee and Brawl stages not in the Wii U version as well as all the 3DS stages that came over, we did not get that many new stages. Combine that with the only stages in the basegame being either from new series or from the only other two games predating Ultimate in terms of switch development, there is plenty of room for new stages to show off the Switch era or Nintendo history as a whole. What kind of stages would you all like?
I'd say that Splatoon is absolutely rife in stage potential (and it could certainly warrant more content, being Nintendo's most major new IP). Of course, there're plenty of multiplayer stages besides Moray Towers, though the single-player modes have their share of potential as well. In fact, any of the lobbies from Octo Valley/Octo Canyon or the subway station from Octo Expansion could make for interesting environs. There's also the NILS Statue, and a Salmon Run stage might be interesting if they could just allow for more stages with hazards (or just have the salmon running around in the background).

If they give more stages to the existing third parties, then for god's sake, give Sonic ANYTHING that isn't a grassy first level. Death Egg might be a good pick, though I suppose Lylat Cruise gives us a good space-themed stage as is. Or maybe Stardust Speedway.

Also, it'd be nice to have stages themed around characters who don't already have one. Namely ROB, maybe Dr. Mario and Bowser.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I really hope the next Smash has a similar hype cycle to Brawl and Smash 4

I understand why Ultimate was promoted the way it was since they pretty much blew their load with Everyone is Here in the initial trailer. But there's a certain magic and excitement of waking up every weekday to check on the Dojo or Miiverse for new information, from items to stages to modes to the holy grail of characters, that just... wasn't met here. Like yeah we got daily blogs that covered much the same information but we knew almost everything they showed beforehand thanks to the directs.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Isn't 10 million yen just a bit over 100,000 US dollars? That actually sounds pretty cheap if true. I mean, I know Nintendo doesn't bloat their budget the way AAA games do (AAA being notorious for burning money in a way that could make Hollywood blush), but I would have expect their more high-profile releases to at least have a production cost in the millions.
No, that's too low. Licensing fees would've gotten in the way of remodeling all those stages or bringing back every single veteran if that was the case. I don't know if that user knows one yen is closer to a coin than paper currency.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I really hope the next Smash has a similar hype cycle to Brawl and Smash 4

I understand why Ultimate was promoted the way it was since they pretty much blew their load with Everyone is Here in the initial trailer. But there's a certain magic and excitement of waking up every weekday to check on the Dojo or Miiverse for new information, from items to stages to modes to the holy grail of characters, that just... wasn't met here. Like yeah we got daily blogs that covered much the same information but we knew almost everything they showed beforehand thanks to the directs.
The problem with that is that there was too much focus over who'd be returning, which is why I'm glad that Ultimate just laid it all out to us from the start. I also think it was wise to reveal the entire roster before release (given the pattern of previous Smash installments, they probably knew that all the new additions would've been leaked before the street date broke anyway..... hell, even if that hadn't been the case, it is a bit awkward to have a trailer for Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt after Smash 3DS had already been available globally for a month). Still, I do agree that the blog could've been handled WAY better. Sadly, I doubt we can go back to the Smash Bros. Dojo days since all the major news comes from Directs now, but maybe they could've put more emphasis on the returning stages and items (something which fans were already left to piece together from whatever could be glimpsed of pre-release footage). Actually, even the returning character introductions probably could've still worked if they just didn't make all of their videos available on the site from the start.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The problem with that is that there was too much focus over who'd be returning, which is why I'm glad that Ultimate just laid it all out to us from the start. I also think it was wise to reveal the entire roster before release (given the pattern of previous Smash installments, they probably knew that all the new additions would've been leaked before the street date broke anyway..... hell, even if that hadn't been the case, it is a bit awkward to have a trailer for Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt after Smash 3DS had already been available globally for a month). Still, I do agree that the blog could've been handled WAY better. Sadly, I doubt we can go back to the Smash Bros. Dojo days since all the major news comes from Directs now, but maybe they could've put more emphasis on the returning stages and items (something which fans were already left to piece together from whatever could be glimpsed of pre-release footage). Actually, even the returning character introductions probably could've still worked if they just didn't make all of their videos available on the site from the start.
What ideas do you have for running the blog better were Everyone Is Here 2.0 to happen?

Trevenant

Smash Lord

I'd say that Splatoon is absolutely rife in stage potential (and it could certainly warrant more content, being Nintendo's most major new IP). Of course, there're plenty of multiplayer stages besides Moray Towers, though the single-player modes have their share of potential as well. In fact, any of the lobbies from Octo Valley/Octo Canyon or the subway station from Octo Expansion could make for interesting environs. There's also the NILS Statue, and a Salmon Run stage might be interesting if they could just allow for more stages with hazards (or just have the salmon running around in the background).

If they give more stages to the existing third parties, then for god's sake, give Sonic ANYTHING that isn't a grassy first level. Death Egg might be a good pick, though I suppose Lylat Cruise gives us a good space-themed stage as is. Or maybe Stardust Speedway.

Also, it'd be nice to have stages themed around characters who don't already have one. Namely ROB, maybe Dr. Mario and Bowser.
Yeah, I don't remember the exact numbers but it was probably more like between 10-100 billion etc. I did say that it was probably more but I struggle to find an exact quote lol. Million and billion are exactly the same grammatically minus one letter I guess lol. Divide that by 5 and that's like 20 billion per game on average, with that being less or more depending on how early the entry was.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
No, that's too low. Licensing fees would've gotten in the way of remodeling all those stages or bringing back every single veteran if that was the case. I don't know if that user knows one yen is closer to a coin than paper currency.
No, I'm not too proficient in currencies and all the different transversions and whatnot lol, I was repeating info which I'm pretty sure is public.. As said, someone may have access to an actual source but it sounded like 1 million verbally at the very least. May have been 10 billion for all I know, but the info is definitely public... That and I literally said it was probably way more since I couldn't fully remember.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
  • Zone 36 (Astral Chain)
  • Remix (Rhythm Heaven)
There's also Yoshi's crafted world who could make a great stage for first party switch titles. I think Yoshi really needs a new stages because the Woolly world stage disappeared so now he only have older game representation.

For Wario ware, there's no really any unique location as far as I'm aware. I could see them just doing a "Wario ware inc. 2" with new mini games. Something from Wario land would be neat, but I don't really see them doing it if the franchise stay dormant.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Didn't even realize we were coming up on the third anniversary of Smash Ultimate. Time really flies huh? Since Smash development is over and done with there's a 0% chance we'll be seeing anything Smash related at the game awards. Which is good because the TGA every year felt worse than the last one, with Joker's and Sephiroth's reveals being the only things I remembered from the last 3 years.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Didn't even realize we were coming up on the third anniversary of Smash Ultimate. Time really flies huh? Since Smash development is over and done with there's a 0% chance we'll be seeing anything Smash related at the game awards. Which is good because the TGA every year felt worse than the last one, with Joker's and Sephiroth's reveals being the only things I remembered from the last 3 years.
I hope Nintendo at least has SOMETHING to announce this year. I get that the Game Awards are heavily biased towards Western gaming (just look at the nominations), but I always felt they had some of the better reveals at TGA; not just Smash, but also Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and the intro animation to No More Heroes 3. I honestly remember those announcements more than anything else there...

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Oh god, don't remind me. Because they just suddenly dropped Joker's surprise reveal in a place that I missed, I forced myself to sit through that awful award show in 2019 hoping for something similar, only to get nothing out of it aside from Muppets playing Untitled Goose Game.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Thunder_Jolt#Customization

Thunder Jolt is no more next Smash, and you have to choose between its 2 variations from Smash 4 to replace :ultpikachu:'s and :ultpichu:'s former neutral special.

Which would you pick for who?
Shock maybe... I dunno I like jolt cause of its specific properties but if they changed it I wouldn't be heavily moved either way, mostly because I don't use Pikachu except in friendlies.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, I don't remember the exact numbers but it was probably more like between 10-100 billion etc. I did say that it was probably more but I struggle to find an exact quote lol. Million and billion are exactly the same grammatically minus one letter I guess lol. Divide that by 5 and that's like 20 billion per game on average, with that being less or more depending on how early the entry was.
You know, I think I remember hearing somewhere that NetherRealm's fighters are the only fighting games to have a budget comparable to AAA titles in other genres. Given that MK11 was able to have several guests who'd just be as expensive as Sora, if not more given they needed to bring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone into their studio to do 3D scans of their heads and do voice lines in Stallone's case, and still have enough room to bring back Friendships and make an extra story mode, I can see that being the case.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Chun-li for smash!

Or Hikaru Shida for smash cause she in video game an cosplays as Chun-li and is awesome.
Hikaru’s previous ring attire really reminded me of Tifa from Final Fantasy VII. I’m not sure if that was the intent or it was just a coincidence. Seeing this makes me believe it was intentional.

I still think that Becky Lynch’s look in NXT was a reference to Chandra Nalaar from Magic the Gathering with the fiery orange hair and her goggles. Her outfit even resembled someof Chandra’s. I’ve never seen anyone else bring that up though. Probably because there isn’t much overlap between MtG and WWE fanbases.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Hikaru’s previous ring attire really reminded me of Tifa from Final Fantasy VII. I’m not sure if that was the intent or it was just a coincidence. Seeing this makes me believe it was intentional.

I still think that Becky Lynch’s look in NXT was a reference to Chandra Nalaar from Magic the Gathering with the fiery orange hair and her goggles. Her outfit even resembled someof Chandra’s. I’ve never seen anyone else bring that up though. Probably because there isn’t much overlap between MtG and WWE fanbases.
Tru cause they all Elite :4pacman:

I get incineroar is the wrestler now but man I'd even go for that purple dude in the nes game

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Tru cause they all Elite :4pacman:

I get incineroar is the wrestler now but man I'd even go for that purple dude in the nes game
I remember playing that game as a kid. The only names wrestler I remember was Star Man (I think he’s the purple guy you’re referring to). I know there was a fish monster guy as well. Speaking of purple wrestlers owned by Nintendo, I’d love to see Bugzzy from Kirby in Smash. We still don’t have any bug characters and I’ve always been a big fan of Bugzzy.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I remember playing that game as a kid. The only names wrestler I remember was Star Man. I know there was a fish monster guy as well. Speaking of purple wrestlers owned by Nintendo, I’d love to see Bugzzy from Kirby in Smash. We still don’t have any bug characters and I’ve always been a big fan of Bugzzy.

Dude! The Amazon should have been Blanka's dad or pet or... something.

Actually that games was crazy if you had an nesMax controller haha turbos made many games winnable like track and field 2.

What kirby game is Bugzzy in?

What other wrestlers could smash have........

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Dude! The Amazon should have been Blanka's dad or pet or... something.

Actually that games was crazy if you had an nesMax controller haha turbos made many games winnable like track and field 2.

What kirby game is Bugzzy in?

What other wrestlers could smash have........
I think Bugzzy debuted in Kirby Super Star on the SNES but it’s also in Star Allies for the Switch.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
had a conversation with some friends earlier debating this and thought it was fun enough to bring up here

Would you be okay with "Through the Fire and Flames" by DragonForce being officially put into Smash as a representation of Guitar Hero? Even though it's a mainstream rock song made by a real non-video game band?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Bugzzy debuted in Kirby's Adventure on the NES, actually.
Wow, you learn something new every day. I never played Kirby much until the SNES so I always assumed Bugzzy started in that game for some reason.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
had a conversation with some friends earlier debating this and thought it was fun enough to bring up here

Would you be okay with "Through the Fire and Flames" by DragonForce being officially put into Smash as a representation of Guitar Hero? Even though it's a mainstream rock song made by a real non-video game band?
I'd rather it not, as I'd rather 4th party content not be in Smash, and would worry this might open the door to it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Licensed real music in a video game, no.
Music from real artists commissioned for the game specifically, sure. (That's basically Kingdom Hearts's theme song already)

Licensed music also has the big problem of copyright strikes, which is already a massive problem with video game music from Square Enix. Big Time Music companies are much more trigger happy with that type of stuff.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/article/af687dbc-892d-43a0-9186-ed9e7e373bd5 Sakurai giving his thoughts on all smash trailers up to Sora. Highlight for me is it shows smash trailers aren't like all those fanmade trailers where you see Waluigi recreating some emotional scene in some drama cos he didn't get an invite etc, and illustrates how it's more so how they come to participate in smash. If smash trailers started to become like those trailers even by just a tiny bit, they'd become way less interesting and almost become soap operas lmao.

Who knows what would have happened to Sephiroth's trailer if they started to go more with this approach lol, which is the best trailer, not only in terms of actual character, but also what actually goes on in it. Perfect way to tie it into WoL without showing Cloud get approached by him in some lame location vaguely inspired by FF7 which is what would have happened if they did take more of a characterized approach.

And it's in Japanese btw...

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you learn something new every day. I never played Kirby much until the SNES so I always assumed Bugzzy started in that game for some reason.
Oh yeah, a lot of things in Super Star were actually introduced in Kirby's Adventure. In fact, Kirby's Adventure was the first game to introduce Kirby's signature copy ability (the original Kirby's Dream Land on Game Boy was barebones as hell and only had him being able to swallow enemies or hit them with an air puff, though there were also a few power-up items such as the curry, which has also found its way into Smash).

I mean..... why? Putting aside the issue with non-game content, the Guitar Hero series has been kinda dead for a while. Not only that, but while it was a pretty major fad in America for a while, its presence in Japan is rather similar to Mortal Kombat, with a good majority of the titles never being localized.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Here's some things I see happening:

1. Samus Aran being Overhauled with being based on her appearence & Abilities from Metroid Dread(Including Her Final Smash) similar to how SSBU! Link is based off of Breath Of The Wild

2. Raven Beak being added as a new fighter

3. Ring Fit Trainee as a Playable Fighter

4. Cinderace as a playable fighter

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here's some things I see happening:

1. Samus Aran being Overhauled with being based on her appearence & Abilities from Metroid Dread(Including Her Final Smash) similar to how SSBU! Link is based off of Breath Of The Wild

2. Raven Beak being added as a new fighter

3. Ring Fit Trainee as a Playable Fighter

4. Cinderace as a playable fighter
I can see all of these besides Cinderace. I think Gen 9 will likely come out before the next Smash (if there is one). I would imagine they would go with a Pokémon from those games over a Gen 8 rep. There’s also the possibility of adding a Pokémon from an older generation.

I am pretty confident we’ll get a second Splatoon character, whether that be Octoling or someone else. I think that series is getting too big to pass over in the next game.

Hopefully we get a second Astral Chain game by then and we see Akira Howard or someone else from it. I’d love Jena Anderson but I don’t see them adding her before Akira unless there are technical issues with the Legion mechanic preventing Akira frommaking it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom