• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So here's a question for ya'll.

Which Nintendo franchises do you expect to get bigger in the future? Smaller? Stay the same?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Which Nintendo franchises do you expect to get bigger in the future? Smaller? Stay the same?
Metroid's looking like it's having a Renaissance era, plus Prime 4 from Retro hopefully goes swimmingly. All that's missing is Nintendo putting two brain cells together and rereleasing the Prime Trilogy, and by that point, you'd expand Metroid back into the big mainstream.

Splatoon's also growing, but I don't know how long the series is intended to go on. I suck at FPS's so I have no interest in Splatoon and that's why I don't know anything about it lol.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

-Metroid seems like an obvious answer for "getting bigger"
-Maybe Kirby's first foray into 3D will really do the kirby franchise some favors?
-Xenoblade 2 put Xenoblade in a favorable position, if the next game can carry that momentum then maybe Xenoblade
-Splatoon has already become a very big franchise. I think Splatoon 3 will only grow it assuming it doesn't fall flat on its face.
-There's also IPs like Golden Sun or F-Zero where releasing a game at all and having it do well will pretty much put it on the map and put it in a substancially better spot

Outside of these, I think most other IPs will stay about the same? I don't know if anything will really get smaller...

SirCamp

Smash Ace
If you had to choose 5 RPG characters and 5 fighting game characters and 5 platformer characters to have them playable in smash who would you choose?
RPG:
1. Isaac (Golden Sun)
2. Lloyd (Tales)
3. Farmer Pete (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons) You may not count this as an RPG, but frankly it does have some RPG elements just not in a traditional way. And damnit I want to include one of my most wanted lmao.
4. Crono
5. Nahobino or Demifiend
Bonus: if you kinda sorta consider Zelda and RPG, Impa lol

Platformer:
1. Captain Syrup
2. Spyro
3. Dixie Kong
4. Bomberman
5. Goemon (Mystical Ninja)
Bonus: Second Banjo character or Conker

Fighting:
1. Nightmare
2. Sol Badguy
3. Morrigan
4. Nakoruru
5. Rivals of Aether character (Orcane?)

This made me realize how many of the characters I want fall under platformers. I'd love to include more Nintendo characters like Ashley or Bandana Dee, or an indie like Shantae or Shovel Knight, or classics like Rayman or Crash, or even lesser known Nintendo characters like the adorable Mallo. Alas there is only so much room =,(

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If you had to choose 5 RPG characters and 5 fighting game characters and 5 platformer characters to have them playable in smash who would you choose?
I have to mention mine
RPG:
1. Geno (Super Mario RPG)
2. Isaac (Golden Sun)
3. Ninten (Mother)
4. Grovyle (Pokémon)
5. Boshi (Super Mario RPG)

Fighting:
1. Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
2. Harry (Teleroboxer)
3. Hsien-Ko (Darkstalkers)
4. Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
5. Gill (Street fighters)

Platformers:
1. Alex Kidd
2. Rayman
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Hakkun (Sutte Hakkun)
5. Captain Syrup (Wario Land)

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Metroid's looking like it's having a Renaissance era, plus Prime 4 from Retro hopefully goes swimmingly. All that's missing is Nintendo putting two brain cells together and rereleasing the Prime Trilogy, and by that point, you'd expand Metroid back into the big mainstream.

Splatoon's also growing, but I don't know how long the series is intended to go on. I suck at FPS's so I have no interest in Splatoon and that's why I don't know anything about it lol.
Splatoon's not an FPS though, but that does bring up an interesting angle to your first point.

Imagine a Metroid Prime Hunters style competitive AAA Metroid multiplayer game with Nintendo's budget for promotion. Splatoon fills the 3rd-person shooter niche, and it has turned into Nintendo's newest A-lister because of the community that was built out of the great online experience. We'd hear about Metroid constantly for YEARS if Nintendo went that direction.

(Obviously they shouldn't neglect the singleplayer Metroid Prime experiences because that's where the games shine like nothing else. But Metroid Prime already had multiplayer and a really good one at that, so it's possible.)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Splatoon's not an FPS though
You shoot the people in a team to win, that's all I need to know to know it's not a game I will be good at and don't need to play.

(Obviously they shouldn't neglect the singleplayer Metroid Prime experiences because that's where the games shine like nothing else. But Metroid Prime already had multiplayer and a really good one at that, so it's possible.)
Prime Hunters 2 would be cool, but I want to see how Retro does 4 before anything. The past few years haven't been looking very kind to them. AFAIK they still haven't released anything after Tropical Freeze. And Tropical Freeze again with Funky Kong.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
RPG:
  1. Decidueye (Pokémon)
  2. Isaac (Golden Sun)
  3. Geno (Super Mario RPG)
  4. Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia)
  5. Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends With You)
Fighting:
  1. Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
  2. Iori Yagami (King of Fighters)
  3. Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
  4. Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
  5. Nakoruru (Samurai Showdown)
Platformers:
  1. Tails (Sonic)
  2. Rayman
  3. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
  4. Raven Beak (Metroid)
  5. Shovel Knight
Tbh the only category that only has characters I want is platformers. RPGs mostly has characters I wanted and then Neku and Lloyd are thrown in threre because they're both from games on my backlog and for Fighting games I just picked whoever I thought looks cool because I don't play fighting games.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord

I

i expect the Luigi mansion franchise to get bigger. Lm3’s already at 10 mill (probably even more) so going forward I’d expect the Next lot off games in the franchise to be around those sales or just a tad less. It’ll grow bigger

as for a franchise that goes Smaller it’s hard to say. If I had to say one I’d say Kirby. Kirby isn’t big these days and will probably drop off more and more over upcoming time.

could see the warioware franchise starting to get smaller and smaller if I’m honest

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I've actually got some posts I need to make for responses to people, I'll try to get to them today, but firstly I'm genuinely curious

I always seem to pop into this thread at the weirdest times. Anyway, back to actually discussing the next Smash game.

RPG
Ichiban Kasuga from Yakuza 7 Like a Dragon
Mallow from Super Mario RPG
Tifa Lockhart from Final Fantasy 7
Yu Narukami from Persona 4
Frisk/Chara from Undertale

Fighting game
Chun li from Street Fighter
Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters
Twintelle from ARMS
Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers
Fishbunjin 3000 from Slap City

Platformer
Crash Bandicoot from Crash Bandicoot
Rayman from Rayman
Klonoa from Klonoa
Conker the squirrel from Conker's Bad Fur Day
Hat Kid from A hat in Time
JRPG
1. Cless (Tales of Phantasia)
2. Primrose (Octopath Traveler)
3. Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei)
4. Mallow (Super Mario RPG)
5. Deoxys (Pokemon)
Fighting Game
1. Ragna (Blazblue)
2. Glacius (Kilelr Instinct)
3. B.B. Hood (Darkstalkers)
4. Shao Khan (Mortal Kombat)
5. Wolverine (Marvel vs. Capcom)
Platformer
1. Bonk (Bonk's Adventure)
2. Joe & mac (Cavemen Ninja)
3. Alex Kidd (Alex Kidd in Mirage World)
4. Madeline (Celeste)
5. Scrooge McDuck (Ducktales)
I'm a big SMRPG, and I love all the characters, but I love Geno much more than Mallow overall and want him in Smash more than Mallow.

So I'm curious what makes someone pick Mallow over Geno. I would expect to see either Geno or no SMRPG characters at all, so as a fan I'm just curious as to why you want Mallow more. My first thoughts are either you genuinely like Mallow more (which is understandable, he's a great fluffy lil' boy and he gets a lot more spotlight and development than Geno) or that people are overreacting to what happened in the Geno Thread and thus either to avoid criticism or merhaps even out of spite they are rooting for a different character from the same game.

Obviously it could be any number reasons, those are just the ones that come to my mind first, so I'm genuinely curious to know if you choose to elaborate.

Also, LET'S GOOOOO B.B. HOOOOOOOOOD~!

"GRANDMA WAAAEEEEEEAAAAAEHHHHHH~~~!"

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
RPG:
-Terra Branford, Final Fantasy VI
-Geno, Super Mario RPG
-Paper Mario, Paper Mario
-Isaac, Golden Sun
-Frisk, Undertale

Fighting:
-Scorpion, Mortal Kombat
-Bad Mr. Frosty, Clayfighter
-Chun-Li, Street Fighter
-Fulgore, Killer Instinct
-Geese Howard, Fatal Fury

Platformer:
-Ryu Hayabusa, Ninja Gaiden
-Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot
-Bandana Dee, Kirby
-Toad, Super Mario
-Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I've actually got some posts I need to make for responses to people, I'll try to get to them today, but firstly I'm genuinely curious

I'm a big SMRPG, and I love all the characters, but I love Geno much more than Mallow overall and want him in Smash more than Mallow.

So I'm curious what makes someone pick Mallow over Geno. I would expect to see either Geno or no SMRPG characters at all, so as a fan I'm just curious as to why you want Mallow more. My first thoughts are either you genuinely like Mallow more (which is understandable, he's a great fluffy lil' boy and he gets a lot more spotlight and development than Geno) or that people are overreacting to what happened in the Geno Thread and thus either to avoid criticism or merhaps even out of spite they are rooting for a different character from the same game.

Obviously it could be any number reasons, those are just the ones that come to my mind first, so I'm genuinely curious to know if you choose to elaborate.

Also, LET'S GOOOOO B.B. HOOOOOOOOOD~!

"GRANDMA WAAAEEEEEEAAAAAEHHHHHH~~~!"
I’m a big fan of Super Mario RPG as well and I’ve loved it since it came out on the SNES. It was actually my first JRPG ever so I didn’t understand the concept of leveling up when I played it and ran away from most enemies. Years later, I picked it back up and finally beat it. That said, I’ve always preferred Mallow to Geno, partially due to his design but I also just found him to be a more endearing character overall. If I’m being completely honest, Geno’s popularity makes me want to root for Mallow more since I tend to cheer more for underdog characters. Not that there’s anything wrong with wanting a popular request but for some reason it usually lessens how much I want said character.

Even so, I barely used either of them and stuck with Mario, Peach, and Bowser. Mario was mandatory to be in your party and Peach’s healing made her basically mandatory for me as well. That just left me with one character I could choose for myself and the idea of actually playing as Bowser in a story based game was too cool to pass up. Because of that, I never really had the same attachment to Geno that a lot of people do. I can definitely relate to wanting a secondary character in Smash because Zegram and Magus are my top two most wanted. Magus is in exactly the same situation as Geno being a popular side character from a Squaresoft SNES JRPG.

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
RPG:
1. Agumon
2. Laharl
3. Neku
4. Demi-fiend
5. Jibanyan
Fighting game:
1. Sol Badguy
2. Ragna
3. Hyde
4. M. Bison
5. K'
Platformers:
1. Conker
2. Arthur
3. Firebrand
4. Rayman
5. Klonoa

Lyncario

Smash Ace
5 rpg, 5 platformers, and 5 fighting game characters. Alright.

RPG Galore
  1. Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne)
  2. 2B (Nier: Automata)
  3. Lyn (Fire Emblem 7)
  4. Bisharp (Pokemon BW)
  5. Adol Christin (Ys)
It's time to Jump up in the air!
  1. Rayman
  2. Marx (Kirby)
  3. Bandana Dee (Kirby, again)
  4. Crash Bandicoot
  5. Earthworm Jim
THAT IS BULL**** BLAZING!
  2. Kyo Kusanagi (King of Fighters)
  3. Ragna the Bloodedge (Blazeblue)
  4. Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
  5. Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Some though to give on it, the fgc character section was by far the easiest one for me to pinpoint the characters, in fact I even had some extras, I just had to order them, honorable to Fulgore from Killer Instinct, Heihachi Mishima and Jin Kazama from Tekken, Chun-Li from Street Fighters, and Iori Yagami from King of Fighters. Add them in that order to the 5 fgc characters I listed, and you have my top 10 fgc characters for Smash, and even then there's a lot of sick choices left. In comparaison, platformers and rpgs are both way more filled in a good way, outside of some stuff missing. And yes, I put 2 Kirby characters for the platformers because I really want both Marx and Bandana Dee, many Kirby characters have incredibly potential to be super fun in Smash and I will hold that opinion.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
RPGs:
1. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
2. Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends With You)
3. A Falcom character (Adol Christin, Estelle Bright or Rean Schwarzer)
4. KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
5. Shionne (Tales of Arise)

Platformers:
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. The Knight (Hollow Knight)
3. Gunvolt (Gunvolt series)
4. Dr. Ivo “Eggman” Robotnik (Sonic the Hedgehog)
5. Rayman I guess

Fighting Games:
2. Soul Calibur rep (preferred Sophitia or Cassandra)
3. Jin Kazama (Tekken)
4. Kyo Kusanagi (King of Fighters)
5. Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

I feel any Nintendo Franchise with a Switch installment (not remake or port but original title forgiving end of wiiU cross releases if any) should be expected to have a positive growth effect on their popularity and this momentum should carry well into the next console generation. However, I don't play many franchises so I don't profess to know much outside of the normal headlines. Some examples that come to mind are...

Mario can always get bigger as can Pokemon, Animal Crossing...Metroid! Splatoon...

Bayonetta may stay the same.

ARMS may shrink? Haha call it STUBS.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Well then. That certainly seems to have an infinitely higher budget than Nick All-Star.
Yeah, but we haven't really seen anything about the deeper mechanics of the game when there are still signs that could signify possibly predatory actions, and I would argue some things about the game look less polished than NASB. Looks like the gameplay may be relatively slow at this first glance, which is something that could have NASB win out or at least stay relevant.

I'm wary because WB practiced some very uncool stuff at the launch of MK11, and this still reeks to me like a setup up for quick cash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
this blows NASB out of the water
In terms of budget and...nothing else. Smaller roster with every character being a basic choice except Arya and a ****ing OC, it being F2P means there's going to be tons of bull**** to make up for the fact that most people aren't paying for the game, and the 2v2 focus is going to be off-putting for people who prefer FFAs or 1v1.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Well then. That certainly seems to have an infinitely higher budget than Nick All-Star.
While I've seen Multiversus get a lot of praise, it just doesn't do it for me. It has an actualy good budget and voice acting, which are good signs, but everything else is just a massive red flag for me, especialy how they made Shaggy UI Shaggy rather than actual Shaggy.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

ZelDan

Smash Master
While I've seen Multiversus get a lot of praise, it just doesn't do it for me. It has an actualy good budget and voice acting, which are good signs, but everything else is just a massive red flag for me, especialy how they made Shaggy UI Shaggy rather than actual Shaggy.
Yeah them using UI Shaggy over the actual Shaggy just kind of misses the point of a crossover like this, which is supposed to be have character people grew up with clash with eachother, not random internet memes that popped up in recent times or whatever.

It'd be like if Smash bros went with Weegee over Luigi or if they added Waluigi, they added the Brawl in the Family incarnation of him, or if a Capcom fighting game went with bad boxart Megam-wait...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Yeah them using UI Shaggy over the actual Shaggy just kind of misses the point of a crossover like this, which is supposed to be have character people grew up with clash with eachother, not random internet memes that popped up in recent times or whatever.

It'd be like if Smash bros went with Weegee over Luigi or if they added Waluigi, they added the Brawl in the Family incarnation of him, or if a Capcom fighting game went with bad boxart Megam-wait...
At least BBAMM is something Capcom themselves created. The devs didn't even intend for the backlash to happen.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

To the defense... well not really defense, just a justification, the director of SFvsT wanted to put actual Megaman in the game, but the highers ups at Capcom said no, that they did not want any of the I think Japanese versions of Megaman in the roster (reminder, it was back when Capcom did many, many mistakes trying to guess what their fans wanted) so he instead opted for BBAMegaman, who was aproved because his design was made for the US boxart of Megaman. If it's better than him not being in at all, I do not know, but it at least shows that the director of the game (who was also the director for Street Fighter at the time and for SF4 and 5) cared about him, he even said to Sakurai that he wouldn't let Smash have Ryu if Megaman wasn't in first.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Bigger for sure? Donkey Kong. It's gonna happen, and we all know it. A full revival is due, any time soon. Might finally be a very strong Nintendo franchise, even topping Zelda.

Splatoon is another obvious choice, for obvious reasons. I'd say the same about Animal Crossing.

Fire Emblem is another franchise I can see growing, Three Houses has been the most successful game to date, and caught a bigger audience as usual. The formula is also real solid, and we're bound to get remakes of very popular titles as Path of Radiance.

I think Zelda will stay the same, more or less. BotW2 is gonna be huge, but afterwards I guess it's back to remakes for the most part. I also think the new direction might alienate old fans, but attract new ones.

Pokemon I feel might also stay the same. That's cause the fan base is loyal as ****, and don't want nothing else but it.

Metroid might get a new boost, but who knows for how long till it falls into obscurity again? Am honestly not too convinced that Mercury Streams is gonna stick with this franchise forever. Retro Studios neither. It's a franchise that attract a certain elitist gamers, so for sure they'll try their best to let Metroid stick around.

Xenoblade probably is gonna keep getting great titles, or at least I hope so. It's a franchise I personally really enjoy.

Kirby I expect to stay more or less the same, they always got a steady stream of games , but nothing ever too breathtaking. They should try and gather more to the hardcore Nintendo fans at times.

Am also frankly not expecting anything major happening for Mario soon. I don't know why honestly. It's the top dog that's hard to challenge, sure, but all the latest projects have been suprisingly conservative.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
5 RPG characters:

1: Isaac from Golden Sun
Doesn't need much explanation, one of the remaining big names of Nintendo. Golden Sun got a lot of content in Ultimate too for a game that has no playable characters. His moveset potential is off the charts.

2: Dimitri, Fire Emblem Three Houses
In my mind, Byleth should be reworked to use the Sword of the Creator most, and maybe some brawling and magic. If we make Byleth the mage swordsman of Fire Emblem, Robin can go, and Dimitri takes a spot as the lancer.

3: Paper Mario
Sigh I was such a fan of this idea untill I couldn't care about the franchise anymore. Please, just, try and keep him based around very basic abilities. Like folding himself into a paper plane, using the hammer, and spring jumps, maybe some items.. wouldn't mind some attacks being borrowed from regular Mario either.

4: Blastoise.
Cause Blastoise vs Charizard, that's why.

5: Monster Hunter.
Technically, not a RPG, but comes closer to RPG than the other genres. Plus, Rise has a lot of RPG elements.

5 fighting game characters (not my expertise)

1: Chun-Li
2: Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
3: Sol Badguy
4: Yoshimitsu
5: Scorpion or Sub Zero, doesn't matter

5 platformer characters:

1: Dixie Kong !
By far my most missed character.

2: Knuckles
I just like the idea. Am not a Sonic fan, but a new character from this franchise is probably long overdue. Been expecting new Sonic characters since Smash 4.

3: Cranky Kong
Cause this is MY LIST, that's why.

4: Conker
The Diddy Kong Racing roster must reunite.

5: Ori.
Adorable and has way too many cool abilities.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Smaller roster
I mean, that's definitely not the entire roster.

That image that leaked last month that was very obviously from the character select of this game had most of these characters(including the OC) also had, like, Gandalf and Rick from Rick & Morty.

And I'll be really surprised if this game doesn't have any Matrix or Harry Potter in it.

Basically, if it was in Space Jam 2, it's probably going to end up here.

In fact...this game shoulda been called Space Jam FighterZ!

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Guys look who is back!!!
It’s Earthworm jim!!!
It’s good to know that he isn’t dead forever but I hope one day he manages to make to smash in some form

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman

Wasn't expecting to be quoted for a list I wrote up and forgot about an hour after posting it, especially for a character that's probably the least controversial on that list, in my humble opinion. Alright, I'll bite I pretty much explained my reasoning in this post over here in the speculation thread. I'd be fine with both but if people like me don't root for the little guy, then nobody will. It's not even me reacting to the Geno thread, in particular (though that place is hilarious for its own reasons) it's a reaction to the closed minded nature of the speculation scene. A user that's now deleted basically replied to that post with "Mallow crybaby, Geno chad", which is honesty a valid argument. I can understand why people want Geno and only Geno but I personally prefer Mallow.

Here's the plot twist: I have as much emotional attachment to Geno and Mallow as I do to the individual party members from the Paper Mario games. That is to say, almost none at all. Infact, just like Gengar84 Gengar84 ,I'm pretty sure I ran the all Mario character squad on my first playthrough. If we could get a SMRPG stage and music without the characters I'd be more than content because as far as I'm concerned we are already got the best party members from that game in Smash. :ultbowser::ultmario::ultpeach:

Not much to say other than I hope it becomes a pattern as opposed to a one off thing.

Now what's really interesting is this tweet!

Top Bottom