• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Guys look who is back!!!
It’s Earthworm jim!!!
It’s good to know that he isn’t dead forever but I hope one day he manages to make to smash in some form
As far as I know Doug TenNapel is not involved with this one. That alone is a plus from me.

Voice is ok and the animation seems to be good so far, trailer got a chuckle out of me. I will be cautiously optimistic

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So here's a question for ya'll.

Which Nintendo franchises do you expect to get bigger in the future? Smaller? Stay the same?
This... is actually an interesting question.

Xenoblade is clearly a growing franchise. Nintendo seems to be intent on growing it to be their JRPG juggernaut. And with every game it seems to be getting more prominent. This won't last forever of course, but I don't think it has reached it's peak yet.

Metroid - Bigger

Metroid is a weird one in that it is classic and everyone knows it. But I think, given the atmosphere around it currently with Dread and the upcoming Prime 4 and supposed Prime Trilogy on the horizon, Metroid is seeing a renaissance and will likely continue to rise in popularity such that it's sales more closely match its renown.

Kirby - Bigger

So I think Kirby will actually get bigger. Mostly because of the new 3D game coming out. Which is not to say that 2D games can't be big (we just had Dread of course), but Kirby is another one of those franchises that everyone knows, but sales are comparatively modest. They aren't bad games obviously, but they often aren't must buys either. Kirby and the Forgotten land shows, if nothing else, that the team is willing to experiment. But also, they have talked about how it is their most ambitious title yet. And so I'm hoping it will push Kirby's popularity to new levels in a way that Star Allies failed to do.

Donkey Kong - Bigger

Frankly Donkey Kong, while again another classic well known series, is not the biggest right now. So assuming that we get a game at all, I expect it will get bigger. Particularly because, any series like DK that hasn't had a release in quite a while is bound to get a huge boost with a game on a system with as large of an install base as the Switch. And a game is in fact, heavily rumored. So here's hoping I guess.

Wars - Bigger

The wars series is getting a game in 2021. Need I say more? It doesn't even need to be all that successful. It's getting bigger regardless lol.

Golden Sun - Bigger

This is more wishful thinking on my part than anything else, but IF we get a new game (or remake), much like the Wars series, this franchise will get better. Who knows if it will reach high heights (I think it would) but it has no where to go but up currently. So it's either grow or stay the same, depending on whether a game gets made.

Kid Icarus - Bigger

Same as the previous two I just talked about. If we get a game, it'll grow. I don't know how big, but I can't really see it do anything but grow at this point.

Pikmin - Bigger

So we just got 3 remade. And if we get 4 ever I again think Pikmin will grow as a franchise. I don't think it will ever reach great heights or anything as it is always going to be a relatively niche game, but I think there is room for growth and that now would be the time.

Fire Emblem - Same

I think FE will stay relatively steady. Three Houses was a landmark title for the series and was very popular. With another big release I don't really see how it could attract more players to the series that would have passed up on Three Houses. I don't think it's gonna get any smaller, but the series is already quite large, especially for a tactics game which are not known to be blockbuster sellers. I could maybe see a remake of one of the originals reeling in some players who are intimidated by the series large history. So who knows, I could certainly be wrong here.

Splatoon - Same

Splatoon is, or at least has been, a growing franchise so this might seem a little weird. But like FE I don't really see where it goes from here. It seems like those people who are interested would have played it by now? Like Splatoon 3 is coming out and I have no doubt that it will be wildly successful, because the series is already wildly successful, but what about it will bring in new players that aren't already on the Splatoon train with Splatoon 2? Then again, we don't know a ton about it, so who knows, maybe I'm wildly off base here.

Mario - Same

Mario is huge. I don't really see how you get any bigger lol

Zelda - Same/Smaller I dunno

Zelda is a huge series and it has never been bigger. I wanna say, similar to some of the previous franchises I just talked about, it will likely stay the same. Which is to say wildly successful. But, if it can cement itself as an incredible open world game and also marry some more of the original Zelda gameplay themes and mechanics into that experience, perhaps it can attract even more players? I dunno. I just know some Zelda fans who were not pleased with BotW and I'm sorta hoping that the sequel bridges that divide a bit. More likely though, the player who disliked BotW will likely not buy into BotW2 unless it leans heavily into what they wanted and on top of that sequels tend not to do as well. So I expect Zelda will remain relatively steady or decline a bit with BotW2.

On the other hand, if we see a new, original top down Zelda alongside it, perhaps it gets bigger? Or even just WW and/or TP HD? Lol I don't really know on this one. I think it'll be hard to top the heights that BotW has achieved tho certainly

Pokemon - Same

Again, you don't really get bigger than Pokemon. And it certainly isn't going anywhere either. The "boycott" of SwSh proved that

Smash - Same/Smaller

So Smash doesn't really have anywhere to go but down I think. Everyone seems to think it has reached a peak of sorts and I can't say I disagree. I don't see the series going anywhere, it is too successful and too lucrative, but I also don't see how they continue to grow the scene as they have with Ultimate. Whether we see an enhanced port or a reimagining, I think we are bound too lose some popularity in the shift. I don't think Smash is going to fail going forward by any means, but I don't see it getting bigger and frankly a reimagining with a large amount of cuts, would likely alienate some players. Though I do personally see it as a completely reasonable, if not even good, direction for them to go.

Mario Kart - Same

Mario Kart is a juggernaut. I expect that it will continue to be. Nintendo makes a new one, people buy it, rinse repeat. They really don't even need to change much if anything between titles. And unlike Smash, licensing is a nonissue what with no third party characters (and also frankly characters themselves are not AS integral) so roster isn't really as much of an issue either.

Animal Crossing - Smaller

This might be controversial, but I don't really see anywhere for Animal Crossing to go at this point but down. Again, this is not to say that the franchise is dying or will die or anything of the sort. Just that the series has reached such insane heights with New Horizons that it does not seem sustainable to me. Also, I think part of what made NH such a success was a bunch of factors coming together to make for a perfect storm. The pandemic, the overwhelming success of the switch, it being many people's first opportunity to play one as it was AC's first title on a home console. And, while this is great, I also know many people who bought into the hype, bought the game, played for a bit, and realized it isn't for them. Which is fine, but that likely means they won't continue to buy into the series. So I think AC has sort of reached a peak and will level out as we see who sticks around and who doesn't.

Star Fox - Frankly I have no idea

I guess probably just stay the same. But SF had a new game recently enough that I would say, the longer we go without a new game, the worse it gets for the series. I don't think it has reached a nadir yet of course, but it could very well continue to shrink. Having said that, the fanbase is quite fervent despite the series unfortunate treatment by Nintendo, so I could be wrong about that. And also, who knows, maybe they will have learned from SF for Wii U and actually make a new game in line with what people want. In which case, maybe it'll grow. Now would certainly be the time.

Yoshi - Smaller

Yoshi is not the biggest franchise tbh, but crafted world was a fairly disappointing relative to previous entries and frankly I'm not sure if we will see another title on Switch. So, for the time being I expect it to be on the down turn for a while.

WarioLand - Same

WarioLand has nowhere to go but up, but it also needs a game to do that lol and sadly I don't see that happening.

WarioWare - Same

Where WareWare is concerned, I feel like it will continue to sell and remain steady. I don't expect the series will grow due to the most recent game, but it got a release and I imagine fans are happy.

Astral Chain/Arms - Bigger

Nintendo's new series have all had varying degrees of success. Ring Fit obviously blows these two out of the water, but on the flip side, assuming these both get new games I think the seriously have a decent to good chance to continue to grow. I think both have great concepts that con be iterated on and refined and could easily attract new audiences depending on the direction taken.

Ring Fit - Smaller

Ring Fit on the other hand is wildly successful. But, with another title, what motivates me to get it if I already have the first? Maybe I'm wildly off base here, but fitness being a big part of the success of the game I feel like is a blessing and a curse, because while it leads to the success of the first game, you don't really need two different fitness games. And if the first one is still working for you I don't really see the motivation to purchase a second entry in the series. I'm sure many would, but I think it would be only a fraction of the original audience.

Mother - Same/Bigger

So like every other dead/dormant series that I haven't talked about already, I expect to either stay the same or, on the off chance that a new release or remaster gets announced, bigger. There really just isn't anywhere else to go. These series need relevancy, if nothing else. Mother in particular tho has an outside chance of getting a reimagining or something at some point if only due to the meme levels of demand. Yes there are a bunch of issues with Mother 3 in the US, but frankly where there is a will there is a way. They could make something work if they want to, and we know that they KNOW there is demand. So while it may not happen, like I said there is an outside chance.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I am hoping they bring back Boogerman and Clayfighters as well at some point in the future they deserve a 2nd chance to live
They really don't.

Things don't deserve a 2nd chance just cause they existed. They should have actually been good in order to deserve that.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
They really don't.

Things don't deserve a 2nd chance just cause they existed. They should have actually been good in order to deserve that.
Not every series gets to be successful on first try for example Shantae first game wasn’t a big hit but it grew on after it was revived which is why giving a 2nd chance isn’t a bad idea

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not every series gets to be successful on first try for example Shantae first game wasn’t a big hit but it grew on after it was revived which is why giving a 2nd chance isn’t a bad idea
I didn't say successful, I said good. Also, Clayfighter had 3 games, and they're all bad.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I didn't say successful, I said good. Also, Clayfighter had 3 games, and they're all bad.
Remember when I said I'm about 50/50 on what you say?

Thus far, this has quickly dropped to 30/70, in favor of against.

Clayfighter and the concept of it evolving into becoming parody of popular things and other fighting games/games in general in definitely something this new era of modern media making mostly uninspired trash and people taking themselves too seriously needs to happen.

Considering they tried to revive it but someone in charge in house stopped it all by being a complete dumpster of a human being and just making everything unnecessarily difficult the whole way, I think it definitely could have a chance in the right hands.

SirCamp SirCamp
So Smash doesn't really have anywhere to go but down I think. Everyone seems to think it has reached a peak of sorts and I can't say I disagree. I don't see the series going anywhere, it is too successful and too lucrative, but I also don't see how they continue to grow the scene as they have with Ultimate. Whether we see an enhanced port or a reimagining, I think we are bound too lose some popularity in the shift. I don't think Smash is going to fail going forward by any means, but I don't see it getting bigger and frankly a reimagining with a large amount of cuts, would likely alienate some players. Though I do personally see it as a completely reasonable, if not even good, direction for them to go.
I'm confused on how you and others still think Smash can afford to downsize in an area where bigger companies are taking the same path.

It's clear we will get an enhanced version of the same game with more of everything, Smash will destroy it's competition yet again, and THEN we might downgrade for the console after our 4K Next-Gen Switch upgrade.

Also, how does an enhanced port lose and substantial amount of support? It would mean bringing back ALL the characters and improving upon them, and just giving more on top of that. I fail to see how doing that will make them suffer a loss worth worrying about.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
With Earthworm jim back I am hoping they bring back Boogerman and Clayfighters as well at some point in the future they deserve a 2nd chance to live
Oh man, that'd be awesome. They're both really cool series.

It's too bad that both N64 Clayfighter games weren't fully finished. Even The Sculptor's Cut doesn't give High Five any Claytalities. Though it's certainly a nice upgrade.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Clayfighter and the concept of it evolving into becoming parody of popular things and other fighting games/games
Uh huh. It's a neat concept. But being a neat concept doesn't automatically translate into being a GOOD GAME. And the Clayfighter games were very much not good fighting games.

Of course, early Mortal Kombat games weren't very good either. But they were wildly popular regardless. Clayfighter was not wildly popular though. In fact, it's kind of baffling that they made 3 of them.

And, I mean, the WORLD has already spoken on this. They TRIED to kickstart a new Boogerman, and it failed.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
If you had to choose 5 RPG characters and 5 fighting game characters and 5 platformer characters to have them playable in smash who would you choose?
Alright, my turn I suppose

Arrr Pea Gee!
  1. Geno (SMRPG)
  2. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
  3. Lyn (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade)
  4. Any party member from Final Fantasy X, no preference.
  5. Isaac, for the homies (Golden Sun).
Best Genre This Side of Souls-likes, Fight Me! (Ha, get it? Also, no, Smash is not one of these.)
  1. Any character from Skull Girls (Big Band/Peacock are my preferences).
  2. Nightmare/Siegfried (Soul Calibur).
  3. Sabrewulf (Killer Instinct)
  4. Nakoruru (Samurai Showdown)
  5. Faust or Goldlewis (Guilty Gear)
Will The Community Ever Grow Up Past Scrimblo Bimblo Memes And Just Not Hate People's Choices? (Hint: No.)
  1. Spyro the Dragon
  2. Shovel Knight, for the homies who earned it.
  3. Bandanna Dee, for the homies (I would prefer Adeleine or Rick, Kine and Coo as one character).
  4. Shantae, also for the homies who pushed her this hard.
  5. Rayman. Let Ubisoft catch a break Sakurai.

Note that this is as personal of a list as I could make, but if the choices were strictly professional then a lot of them would change. For example, Crash would be the top of the Platformer list, Lyn wouldn't be on that list unless FE cut other characters first, and I would put Sol Badguy and Haohmaru since they are the faces of their series.

Also, I think Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei was asking about what series will get bigger, and the answer is simple.

If Nintendo makes a game in a series on Switch, their biggest console that is close to outselling the mf-ing Wii in units, that series will grow big time.

If they don't, it will stay the same or shrink.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Guys, I think Clayfighter rep is unlikely to smash, ìn fact that they're very unpopular in Japan and it makes them harder to join.
But if we had Fulgore, then Rare and Killer Instinct is popular in Japan, so Fulgore can join the battle.
Fulgore is one of my most wanted. I’d love any Killer Instinct character for Smash since pretty much all of them are really cool. The music is among the best in all of video games as well. Finally, I feel like Rare could use a few more characters based on their history with Nintendo. If the rumors about a new KI in development are true then I feel like it really helps it’s chances.

Fulgore is one of my most wanted. I’d love any Killer Instinct character for Smash since pretty much all of them are really cool. The music is among the best in all of video games as well. Finally, I feel like Rare could use a few more characters based on their history with Nintendo. If the rumors about a new KI in development are true then I feel like it really helps it’s chances.
Yeah, Fulgore could be good addition for the roster.
And it had big history with Nintendo and like you said earlier that the new KI game is in development and it can make the Dream come true for Fighter.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If you had to choose 5 RPG characters and 5 fighting game characters and 5 platformer characters to have them playable in smash who would you choose?
RPG
  • Adol
  • Neku
  • Isaac
  • Alis Landale
  • Lloyd
Platformer
  • Crash
  • Spyro
  • Dr. Eggman
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Rayman
Fighting Game
  • Sol Badguy
  • Scorpion
  • Fulgore
  • Nightmare
  • Morrigan

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So the list of MW by virtue of asking during the last week of speculation in the Ultimate DLC speculation thread.

Is long.

If you dare.... Rank them! Or some or none or add your own... The top 5 should have character support threads.. Or 19....we'll see.

Octoling

Elma

Sora

Doomguy

Crash

Cinderace

Sgt Cortez

Master Chief

Chozo Dude

Neku

Frisk

Rayman

Dr. Eggman

Battletoads

Decidueye

Nahobino

Waluigi

Isaac

Phoenix Wright

Fulgore

Ezio

Tracer

Kratos

Gordon Freeman

King Boo

Scorpion

Reimu

Bill Rizer

Lu Bu

Off The Hook

Saber

Estelle Bright

Zero

Mega Man X

Ryu Hayabusa

Bandana Waddle Dee

Sol Badguy

Chun-Li

Impa

Jill Valentine

Leon Kennedy

Pauline

Arle

Mona

Monokuma

Asuka

<---->

I'll update you on the tally if anyone votes but the results will be kept offline to avoid clutter.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If you dare.... Rank them! Or some or none or add your own... The top 5 should have character support threads.. Or 19....we'll see.
All characters should get character support threads. But...

1. Ryu Hayabusa
2. Bill Rizer
3. Jill Valentine
4. Phoenix Wright
5. Battletoads
6. Estelle Bright
7. Zero
8. Master Chief
9. Doom Slayer
10. Sol Badguy
11. Gordon Freeman
12. Kratos
13. Ezio
14. Chun-Li
15. Fulgore
16. Scorpion
17. Rayman
18. Impa
19. Bandana Waddle Dee
20. Sgt. Cortez

**** the rest.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
All characters should get character support threads. But...

1. Ryu Hayabusa
2. Bill Rizer
3. Jill Valentine
4. Phoenix Wright
5. Battletoads
6. Estelle Bright
7. Zero
8. Master Chief
9. Doom Slayer
10. Sol Badguy
11. Gordon Freeman
12. Kratos
13. Ezio
14. Chun-Li
15. Fulgore
16. Scorpion
17. Rayman
18. Impa
19. Bandana Waddle Dee
20. Sgt. Cortez

**** the rest.
So voted.

I think the top 5 will at least have fans ready to helm one if it doesn't already exist. I agree every character should have one.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So the list of MW by virtue of asking during the last week of speculation in the Ultimate DLC speculation thread.

Is long.

Octoling

Elma

Sora

Doomguy

Crash

Cinderace

Sgt Cortez

Master Chief

Chozo Dude

Neku

Frisk

Rayman

Dr. Eggman

Battletoads

Decidueye

Nahobino

Waluigi

Isaac

Phoenix Wright

Fulgore

Ezio

Tracer

Kratos

Gordon Freeman

King Boo

Scorpion

Reimu

Bill Rizer

Lu Bu

Off The Hook

Saber

Estelle Bright

Zero

Mega Man X

Ryu Hayabusa

Bandana Waddle Dee

Sol Badguy

Chun-Li

Impa

Jill Valentine

Leon Kennedy

Pauline

Arle

Mona

Monokuma

Asuka

<---->

I'll update you on the tally if anyone votes but the results will be kept offline to avoid clutter.
I am of the opinion that making support threads already is super hasty and will only make smash speculation much much more cliquey before the next game is even announced. I think just having a general containment thread for now is better, because then you open up pandora's box. Why should I get my most wanted's support thread open right now but someone else has to wait. I don't think its really a great idea to already bring about the support threads yet.

That being said, I would love to have a Crash support thread again if this does happen, but right now I think its better to just have the social thread exist as it does now.

If I have to vote
Crash
Eggman
Hayabusa
Neku
Chief
Waluigi
Isaac
Bandana Dee

Once again, I strongly think that we should wait a while longer before we even table support threads. It has only been one month since Smash Ultimate speculation ended and I think doing them even now would be a hasty call.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Is long.

1. Reimu
  2. Nahobino/General SMT character
  3. Phoenix Wright
  4. Rayman
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Sol Badguy
  7. Zero
  8. Neku
  9. Megaman X
  10. Fulgore
  11. Chun-Li
  12. Impa
  13. Crash
  14. Elma
  15. Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy
  16. Chozo Dude with an amazing boss fight
  17. Estelle Bright
  18. Lu Bu
  19. Arle
  20. Monokuma
  21. Bill Rizer
  22. Kratos
  23. Asuka
  24. Octoling
  25. Ezio
  26. Decidueye
  27. Ryu Hayabusa
  28. Saber
  29. Cinderace
  30. King Boo
  31. Dr Eggman
  32. Pauline
  33. Off the Hook
  34. Frisk
  35. Doomguy
  36. Sgt Cortez
  37. Master Chief
  38. Battletoads
  39. Isaac
  40. Gordon Freeman
  41. Mona
  42. Tracer
  43. Scorpion
  44. Waluigi
Some placements are probably not fully accurate, but I feel that it is mostly accurate anyway, especialy at the topc and bottom. Well not really bottom, most of it is really mostly characters I don't care about put into semi-random placements, and then Waluigi.

This is a list of how much we care about them, right?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I am of the opinion that making support threads already is super hasty and will only make smash speculation much much more cliquey before the next game is even announced. I think just having a general containment thread for now is better, because then you open up pandora's box. Why should I get my most wanted's support thread open right now but someone else has to wait. I don't think its really a great idea to already bring about the support threads yet.

That being said, I would love to have a Crash support thread again if this does happen, but right now I think its better to just have the social thread exist as it does now.

If I have to vote
Crash
Eggman
Hayabusa
Neku
Chief
Waluigi
Isaac
Bandana Dee

Once again, I strongly think that we should wait a while longer before we even table support threads. It has only been one month since Smash Ultimate speculation ended and I think doing them even now would be a hasty call.
Loool no it's nothing official just a conversation starter in the form of raw data. I run similar stats in the Ultimate Online forum.

1. Reimu
  2. Nahobino/General SMT character
  3. Phoenix Wright
  4. Rayman
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Sol Badguy
  7. Zero
  8. Neku
  9. Megaman X
  10. Fulgore
  11. Chun-Li
  12. Impa
  13. Crash
  14. Elma
  15. Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy
  16. Chozo Dude with an amazing boss fight
  17. Estelle Bright
  18. Lu Bu
  19. Arle
  20. Monokuma
  21. Bill Rizer
  22. Kratos
  23. Asuka
  24. Octoling
  25. Ezio
  26. Decidueye
  27. Ryu Hayabusa
  28. Saber
  29. Cinderace
  30. King Boo
  31. Dr Eggman
  32. Pauline
  33. Off the Hook
  34. Frisk
  35. Doomguy
  36. Sgt Cortez
  37. Master Chief
  38. Battletoads
  39. Isaac
  40. Gordon Freeman
  41. Mona
  42. Tracer
  43. Scorpion
  44. Waluigi
Some placements are probably not fully accurate, but I feel that it is mostly accurate anyway, especialy at the topc and bottom. Well not really bottom, most of it is really mostly characters I don't care about put into semi-random placements, and then Waluigi.

This is a list of how much we care about them, right?
Just a list! At the time the data was collected no one knew who the last fighter was. When it was Sora all the others became next Smash character hopefuls. I hope they all remain as requested characters and for us to explore characters that weren't named.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
SirCamp SirCamp

I'm confused on how you and others still think Smash can afford to downsize in an area where bigger companies are taking the same path.

It's clear we will get an enhanced version of the same game with more of everything, Smash will destroy it's competition yet again, and THEN we might downgrade for the console after our 4K Next-Gen Switch upgrade.

Also, how does an enhanced port lose and substantial amount of support? It would mean bringing back ALL the characters and improving upon them, and just giving more on top of that. I fail to see how doing that will make them suffer a loss worth worrying about.
So I didn't communicate my point super well here as it was late and I was rambling tbh. But, note that my header for Smash said same or smaller. What I meant was that I don't really see it getting BIGGER at this point. I mean how can it? I think things would largely stay the same with an enhanced port, but also that there is a chance at a (slight) decline if they go the route of reinvention/reimagination. I don't think it is a given that an enhanced port is going to happen, but I do agree that it is a very real possibility. Regardless of what actually happens though I think the people predicting doom and gloom for the future of Smash are being ridiculous. I don't mean to imply that Smash doesn't have a future, simply that it is hard to imagine the series continuing to grow in the way that we've become accustomed to. Much like Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon, I believe Smash is here to stay regardless of the direction Nintendo takes with it going forward.

Is long.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not certain I understand what you are asking us to do here?

Rank the listed characters? Rank whomever we want? Is this somehow different than simply a most wanted list? Or are you asking for us to rank our most wanted alongside the most wanted of the rest of the board members to see how they stack up relative to each other?

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think multiversus might impact scorpions chances positively or negatively when the next smash game comes around if he makes it in

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do you guys think multiversus might impact scorpions chances positively or negatively when the next smash game comes around if he makes it in
I don't think it really affects anything. There's nothing suggesting that being in another fighting game makes a character more or less appealing for Nintendo.

Though, if he shows up in Multiverse, that would be conclusive evidence in favor of him being able to fight in a family-friendly game.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Negatively. MK characters are gonna be in MV and WB isn't going to want them in competing games.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So I didn't communicate my point super well here as it was late and I was rambling tbh. But, note that my header for Smash said same or smaller. What I meant was that I don't really see it getting BIGGER at this point. I mean how can it? I think things would largely stay the same with an enhanced port, but also that there is a chance at a (slight) decline if they go the route of reinvention/reimagination. I don't think it is a given that an enhanced port is going to happen, but I do agree that it is a very real possibility. Regardless of what actually happens though I think the people predicting doom and gloom for the future of Smash are being ridiculous. I don't mean to imply that Smash doesn't have a future, simply that it is hard to imagine the series continuing to grow in the way that we've become accustomed to. Much like Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon, I believe Smash is here to stay regardless of the direction Nintendo takes with it going forward.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not certain I understand what you are asking us to do here?

Rank the listed characters? Rank whomever we want? Is this somehow different than simply a most wanted list? Or are you asking for us to rank our most wanted alongside the most wanted of the rest of the board members to see how they stack up relative to each other?
Rank any characters from most whatever to least whatever. No criteria. It's just a list of the last thread member's MW.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Is long.

Octoling

Elma

Sora

Doomguy

Crash

Cinderace

Sgt Cortez

Master Chief

Chozo Dude

Neku

Frisk

Rayman

Dr. Eggman

Battletoads

Decidueye

Nahobino

Waluigi

Isaac

Phoenix Wright

Fulgore

Ezio

Tracer

Kratos

Gordon Freeman

King Boo

Scorpion

Reimu

Bill Rizer

Lu Bu

Off The Hook

Saber

Estelle Bright

Zero

Mega Man X

Ryu Hayabusa

Bandana Waddle Dee

Sol Badguy

Chun-Li

Impa

Jill Valentine

Leon Kennedy

Pauline

Arle

Mona

Monokuma

Asuka

<---->

Wow, several of these are actually among my most wanted characters. There are obviously a lot more characters I want not listed here but I'd be happy with a good deal of these. Let's see if I can come up with a ranking for myself among these:

1) Battletoads
2) Fulgore
3) Lu Bu
4) Bill Rizer
5) Zero
6) Scorpion
7) Impa (Specifically OG Hyrule Warriors)
8) Mega Man X
9) Elma
10) King Boo
11) Chozo Dude (I assume this means Raven Beak)
12) Doomguy
13) Ryu Hyabusa
14) Dr. Eggman
15) Leon Kennedy
16) Sol Badguy
17) Nahobino
18) Jill Valentine
19) Kratos
20) Master Chief
21) Isaac
22) Crash
23) Estelle Bright
24) Neku
25) Chun-Li
26) Ezio
27) Tracer
28) Bandana Waddle Dee
29) Decidueye
30) Waluigi
31) Octoling
32) Off the Hook
33) Sgt. Cortez
34) Phoenix Wright
35) Asuka
36) Pauline
37) Mona
38) Frisk
39) Gordan Freeman
40) Rayman
41) Cinderace
42) Reimu
43) Monokuma

That was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be lol. It was pretty fun so I'll add 25 of my own most wanted characters not on this list:

1) Zegram Ghart
2) Magus
3) Xemnas
4) Illidan Stormrage
5) Sarah Kerrigan
6) Shionne
7) Velvet Crowe
8) Gengar
9) Golisopod
10) Goomba
11) Sub-Zero
12) Pharaoh Man
13) Princess Garnet Til Alexandrios
14) Dixie Kong (with animal buddies)
15) Jena Anderson
16) Etna
17) Raziel
18) H'aanit
19) Bugzzy
20) Death (Darksiders)
21) Kha'Zix
22) Kotaro Fuuma (Samurai Warriors)
23) Bugzzy
24) Gaige
25) Medusa

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
RPG
Isaac
Crono
Black Mage
Lloyd
Neku

Fighting Game
Scorpion
Sol Badguy
Fulgore
Nightmare
Blanka

Platformer
Ryu Hayabusa
Tails/Eggman
Crash Bandicoot
Shovel Knight

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Better to wait until the next Smash gets announced, by which time the roster will have already been decided, making them pointless?
Support threads are not going to shift the needle in 2021 onward. Smashboards is just a tiny fraction of the smash fan base, so just having a dedicated support thread in here is not going to make a difference in the long run. All making support threads now would do is clutter up this sub form and make smash speculation on here right now, which already is tiny, super divided.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

An End of Era. I owe quite a lot of PapaGenos. He's is reason why I was invested into Smash Speculation as I am ever since October 2019 with CacoMallow leak. I was a bit hesitant at first because his channel seems like those leakbait channels like BlockedContent. So glad I was wrong, it more like Sonictoast's vids on Smash but more in depth.

It's a shame that it's truly over. I'll watch the video in full for Monday's breakfast.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Smashboards is just a tiny fraction of the smash fan base
It's still a place that generates discussion that can trickle out into the larger community via plugged in youtubers and the like.

All making support threads now would do is clutter up this sub form
Which is why it should be its own subforum.

That was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be lol. It was pretty fun so I'll add 25 of my own most wanted characters not on this list:
Here's my top 25:
  1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
  2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
  3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
  4. Kunio/Riki [River City]
  5. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
  6. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
  7. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
  8. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
  9. Nightmare [Soul Calibur]
  10. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
  11. Shantae [Shantae]
  12. Amaterasu [Okami]
  13. Dante [Devil May Cry]
  14. Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
  15. Goemon/Ebisumaru [Legend of the Mystical Ninja]
  16. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
  17. Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
  18. Bomberman [Bomberman]
  19. Estelle Bright [Legend of Heroes]
  20. Captain Toad/Toadette [Treasure Tracker]
  21. King Hippo [Punch-Out]
  22. Firebrand [Gargoyle’s Quest]
  23. Zero [Mega Man X]
  24. Alucard [Castlevania]
  25. Raiden [Metal Gear]

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Not gonna lie, Synergy Attacks are my favorite part of PTE XL. I kinda wish Smash did something similar.

The way I'd handle it, though, is thus:
  • Bring back the ball that healed you team in the last two games but rename it to "Summon Sphere"
  • Certain fighters would perform a combination attack with a certain Assist Trophy
  • For the sake of balance, this item would be rare

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Doom Slayer
(If they tone down the violent stuff and no glory kills.)
Doom Slayer.

Doom is considered the father of FPS and not only has a much bigger impact on its genre but also in video games in general. Plus, Doom Slayer has become a popular pick for Smash over the years.
Doom Slayer seems most likely due to his historical Impact on the gaming industry and being heavily requested
I still see historical impact being raised around like a plus point despite it hardly being the deciding point for many of the playable characters chosen (poor smt, virtual fighter and the pre-7 final fantasy. At least DQ got in but not before ff7 in the end).

It's gonna be dragonborn because that game is actually recognizable in japan, clearly showed by its greater than 10k sales over there. If we even get one to begin with.

Top Bottom