• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Advance Wars for example didn't get to be realistically discussed for Smash since Brawl, but if the upcoming revival is a success we'll have a different attitude towards this franchise for the next Smash game.
That's gonna take more than Re-Boot Camp succeeding, unfortunately. Nintendo's gonna also have to announce a Japanese release, and try to actually market said JP release.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
That's gonna take more than Re-Boot Camp succeeding, unfortunately. Nintendo's gonna also have to announce a Japanese release, and try to actually market said JP release.
Have they not yet? That's weird, I figured they would've announced a Japanese release eventually.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hot take: Without the same element of surprise as Wii Fit Trainer, Ring Fit Trainer/any other RFA rep isn't exactly the biggest lock for Smash 6. RFA might still get a fighter regardless, but Sakurai's gonna have to choose them for reasons other than "nobody expects them".
Honestly I never thought the odds of the Ring Fit Trainee hinged on being a surprise. Rather, I figured their biggest boon was how much of an unexpected hit the game was, considering for the longest time they didn't have enough copies to meet demand.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I've been on a minor Golden Sun kick today, and while I don't have much experience with the series's gameplay, I've caught sight of the "unleash djinn" mechanic. The idea of being able to unleash a single really powerful attack at the cost of temporarily lowered stats afterwards seems like an interesting idea (assuming it isn't overcomplicated by including a "djinn select" or something like that).

Thoughts on this idea? Not just for Isaac, but as a concept in general?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
And speaking of Boss in Smash based on Star Fox, I'll prefer General Scales or Aparoid Queen as Boss in Story Mode due to their limited status.
That's exactly why they SHOULDN'T be Bosses.

The list of Bosses in Smash(at least, the non-OC ones) are all more iconic, bigger characters than a lot of the characters on the actual roster.

They aren't going to waste all those dev resources turning those nobodies into boss fights.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
So I've got to a certain point in Dread (to precise how far, I saw the lore dump that revealed the name of the antagonist), and I must say that I'm in total aww. The game is just amazing so far, and I can't help but to reccomant it to anyone still on the fence about it. And honestly, I'm already all in for said antagonist in the next Smash. The game is just that great, and funily enough, I'm pretty sure that SMTV will take my GOTY spot, so yeah, it's going to end up as a pretty amazing year for me playing games.

Last edited:

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
In Smash 6, Banjo's Wonderwing gauge should be shown above his percentage at all times. This way you don't have to remember how many feathers he has left.

D

Deleted member

Time for a new poll:

:ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultken:

If you have to choose two, and only two, Echo Fighters to promote as unique (or at least semi-clone) characters, who would you pick?

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Considering Sakurai clearly stated that Lloyd, Dragonborn, Dante and Shantae were greatly requested fighters, I'm positive that is not the case.
Yes, Lloyd will most definitely be promoted into a Fighter in the game after his Mii costume debu.... oh, wait.

Time for a new poll:

If you have to choose two, and only two, Echo Fighters to promote as unique (or at least semi-clone) characters, who would you pick?
Technically, shouldn't it be Simon that gets de-cloned rather than Richter?

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I hope the next game brings everyone back one last time and adds 11 new characters to round it out at 100 characters. The characters I would pick would be:
  1. Waluigi
  2. Master Chief
  3. New Nintendo character (probably someome who doesn't exist yet like a new FE character, new Xenoblade character or a new IP character)
  4. Lloyd
  5. Dixie Kong
  6. Geno
  7. Isaac
  8. Tails
  9. Rayman
  10. Phoenix Wright
  11. Decidueye (pipe dream character)
There are other characters I think would be awesome inclusions, such as Raven Beak from Metroid Dread but I decided to limit it to 100.

Of course, realistically speaking, I don't think this will happen. I think we'll likely get a much smaller roster with tons of cuts, and many of my mains are unfortunately in danger. I hope at least Greninja, Ness, and K. Rool make it back. It's hard for me to think of new characters when the roster is guaranteed to take such big hits, so there's a good chance I'll just stick to Ultimate even when the next game rolls around

That's exactly why they SHOULDN'T be Bosses.

The list of Bosses in Smash(at least, the non-OC ones) are all more iconic, bigger characters than a lot of the characters on the actual roster.

They aren't going to waste all those dev resources turning those nobodies into boss fights.
Or how about this.
What if Andross will become Playable if you defeat Andross in Boss Form like if you kill Giga Bowser to get Bowser?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly if they were to make only two echoes fully unique, I'd say Chrom and Dark Samus. Even leaving my bias for Chrom aside, the fact that those were the two echoes explicitly picked from the ballot should give them a bit more priority.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Time for a new poll:

Dark Samus easily, out of all the echoes she's the one that I'm most bittersweet about since she has so much more potential for a unique moveset.

As for the second one.....I'm not sure, maybe Daisy.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ken and ryu are different enough in both origin game and in smash I don't consider them echos.

Lucina and Marth are identical except for the tipper mechanic (and doesn't her falchion have a shorter graphic?) it always seems like her sword is shorter than marths...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Time for a new poll:

I think I would go with Dark Samus for sure. The other one is more difficult but I’m leaning towards Daisy.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Time for a new poll:

Lucina and Dark Pit. Out of all the other ones, I only really have an affinity for Dark Samus, and I think being a Samus echo works well enough for her. For Dark Pit meanwhile, there's enough "leftover" weapons (like claws) in Uprising that didn't make it into Smash and that I'd love to see adapted somehow. Lucina on the other hand can easily fill out her moveset with lances and spears from her Great Lord class.

Honestly if they were to make only two echoes fully unique, I'd say Chrom and Dark Samus. Even leaving my bias for Chrom aside, the fact that those were the two echoes explicitly picked from the ballot should give them a bit more priority.
Uh, pretty sure that Lucina is still a good bit more popular than Chrom. Either way though, if it's her or him getting decloned, then they should become Echoes of each other, rather than Marth/Roy, I'd say.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lucina and Dark Pit. Out of all the other ones, I only really have an affinity for Dark Samus, and I think being a Samus echo works well enough for her. For Dark Pit meanwhile, there's enough "leftover" weapons (like claws) in Uprising that didn't make it into Smash and that I'd love to see adapted somehow. Lucina on the other hand can easily fill out her moveset with lances and spears from her Great Lord class.

Uh, pretty sure that Lucina is still a good bit more popular than Chrom. Either way though, if it's her or him getting decloned, then they should become Echoes of each other, rather than Marth/Roy, I'd say.
I didn't bring up Lucina because I was talking about the ballot. Chrom and Dark Samus were the only two echoes explicitly picked from the ballot (especially since, well, Lucina was added before the ballot was a thing). Lucina is more popular in a general sense, but Chrom was always the one that had more support for Smash.

That being said, yeah, making the shared movesets be Marth/Roy and Chrom/Lucina would've made them much truer to their canon selves lmao. It says something when the echo fits the base's moveset more than it does for the base itself, as is the case with Chrom and Roy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
now that Lloyd’s Mii is mentioned I got two questions

1. For Ultimate, was the Kosuke Fujishima (Tales character designer) copyright removed? I feel like it was, and kinda wonder why.
2. I wonder how many ballot votes he got. Not that it really matters since he went back to Mii Jail for Ultimate

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Time for a new poll:

I'd make Chrom unique, and then make Lucina into Chrom's Echo.

Then, at least, we'd have 2 Marths, and 2 Chroms. Instead of 4 Marths.

Ken and ryu are different enough in both origin game and in smash I don't consider them echos.
Yeah, well, Dr. Mario, Pichu and Young Link are derivative enough that I consider them Echoes. But...here we are.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My choice would be Richter and Daisy. Dark Samus has electricity for a fair chunk of her moves instead of other elements, so she's slightly more unique than those two. Richter only has one unique move(which rarely helps), and Daisy has only slightly different hurtboxes.

All the other Echoes otherwise have enough differences in this case. Though yeah, changing more would be good(only Ken massively feels unique).

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Time for a new poll:

Dark Pit and Dark Samus.

Dark Pit’s unique weapon justifies getting its own move set. In Uprising, he uses a staff rather than a bow, but it was relegated to his Final Smash, which feels like a wasted opportunity. That and I’m desperate for Pit changes of any kind. The same goes for Samus/Dark Samus- the characters feel like relics and I will take any chance to change them up.

If we’re being honest, Daisy has even less business being a clone, but I’ve never actually cared about her.

Richter doesn’t make sense to de-echo because he’s the original practitioner of many of the Belmont’s moves and an extremely faithful representation of the character.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Time for a new poll:

Okay, my thoughts on this are complex (not least since Echoes exist on the grace of being easy to add):

Ken's completely fine, and so are Chrom and Lucina. My motto when it comes to echoes is "Is there a gameplay-related reason to pick the Echo or the original? Or does it practically not matter?" since all Echoes have a personality-based reason to pick one over the orignal. That said, it'd make a lot of sense why Chrom and Dark Samus did well on the ballot, and decloning them further could be beneficial.

However - for those aformentioned gameplay reasons, I'm leaning towards Dark Samus and Dark Pit. The gameplay related reasons for each of the four remaining echoes are minor but I feel a little miffed by the fact that they didn't go further (I have to assume time constraints, but still):

:ultdarksamus: has a faster roll but it leaves it vurnerable due to the lack of Morph Ball, its Smash attacks and projectiles hit lower, the missiles' start up animations are more ambigous compared to Samus, it has different hurtboxes when moving around and fire's replaced by electricity etc. All of these combined don't amount to a different character though (outside of really specific interactions like an uncharged shot hitting a crouching :ultpichu: where Samus' would not). And none of those give off the impression of the ruthless monster from the Prime games either. So yeah, make her a bit more reminiscient of her dangerous Phazon form pls.

:ultdarkpit: ... the different arrows do make a good case for one or the other: Pit's are more maneuverable, can cover loads more angles (it takes practice though) and can tack on damage / snipe more easily off stage, Pittoo's are faster, with stronger knockback and thus kill more easily. Upperdasher / Electroshock? They do the same thing, just kill off the top / side respectively (although its reflection property could use a fix, wtf why did they design the reflection property to follow weird angles: )

And yes I know they have Guardian Orbitars to take care of that, but it's still ridicolous.​

And the arrows are the only meaningful gameplay-related reason to pick one or the other. It's a missed opportunity, especially since Pittoo's been in two games now.

While both Pits have some weird inconsistencies in their movesets (one of which being N-Air's weirdly small hitbox and I'm not entirely pleased with that - :ultbanjokazooie: inherited that too just to make me question things even more) I honestly feel that Dark Pit could benefit from utilizing Uprising's different weapons more thorougly. Not least since Pit does represent the standard weapons pretty well.

Also, for Daisy / Richter? Numbers changes can do a lot of work, even if I'd prefer some moveset changes for them both (give Richter Hydro Storm as final smash pls). Yeah, animation changes would also help but that might inch towards decloning, and I'm keeping my choices to the Dark counterparts. Daisy could benefit from more ground centric stats and stronger attacks compared to Peach in exchange for weakening the float so that she approximates the Mario Sports games more, while Richter could benefit from having the moves that originates in his games be stronger in comparision to Simon and Simon be stronger with the moves he debuted with.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Bring back Megaman's greatness from Smash 4 by designing him around it!

Here's how I'd do it to avoid all the problems reintroducing custom moves would yield.

Shield-Special: Weapon Wheel
A weapon wheel appears around Megaman similar to Shulk's Monado arts. A choice between his default Neutral-B (Metal Blade) and 5 other attacks! When an attack is chosen it is then swapped into the Neutral-Special input from his Metal Blade into whatever the player chose!

These attacks are:
1. Hyper Bomb : https://youtu.be/gkN51-a4ba8
2. Shadow Blade : https://youtu.be/gkN51-a4ba8?t=7
3. Ice Slasher : https://youtu.be/gkN51-a4ba8?t=14
4. Danger Wrap : https://youtu.be/gkN51-a4ba8?t=21
5. Tornado Hold : https://youtu.be/gkN51-a4ba8?t=31

Visual reference for each.

Down-Special: Skull Barrier: https://youtu.be/gkN51-a4ba8?t=44
His better Down-Special from Smash 4. Instead of leaves there are skulls and the barrier reflects projectiles. It can't be thrown like the leaves.

Passive-Float: Beat: https://youtu.be/gkN51-a4ba8?t=38
Instead of having this be a recovery make it so that it doesn't provide Megaman any vertical momentum. In fact inputting this option halts vertical momentum just like Peach and Daisy's float does. Just press and hold the jump button and Megaman will summon Beat to help him float in place for a short period of time.

It's crazy how all of this exists in the game already. Would just need the Weapon Wheel programmed to bring it all home.

I basically feel the same way about Palutena's custom moves. She'd just need a stance switch (3 stances) Shield-Special system to bring that stuff back snd I'd be all for it.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Time for a new poll:

Dark Samus easily. It has enough moves and attacks in the Prime games to at least make them into a semi-clone.

I'm leaning toward Lucina since she has access to lances which can allow her to explore attack options that Byleth doesn't perform with their own spear.

Top Bottom