• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Here's a little challenge/poll I did elsewhere to spice things up a bit:

:ultganondorf: gets his trident next Smash but he's limited to 3 moves involving it, concurrently to his 3 smash attacks involving his sword. Which would you choose to update?

(And his down taunt gets updated to make him alternate between his trident and sword when he pulls them out.)
Well only being able to change 3 moves would just make Ganondorf more incohesive than he already is. His kit should really change to reflect his trident wielding instead of being surface level new random attacks. That's personally why I feel the sword smash attacks have actually been rather poor in their attempts to change Ganondorf.

That said, change his ****ing up tilt and neutral special. They are both so terrible and the fact that it is THESE specific moves that Sakurai refuses to change and not his already decent smash attacks baffles me. I guess for the 3rd attack put it on up throw since no one really uses that.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

:ultganondorf: gets his trident next Smash but he's limited to 3 moves involving it, concurrently to his 3 smash attacks involving his sword. Which would you choose to update?

(And his down taunt gets updated to make him alternate between his trident and sword when he pulls them out.)
Three moves you say... I'll go with:
  • Neutral Special: Trident Boomerang (Throws it which comes back spinning)
  • One of the tilts where he jabs at the fighter
  • Down Smash: Spins it around

D

Deleted member

Three moves you say... I'll go with:
  • Neutral Special: Trident Boomerang (Throws it which comes back spinning)
  • One of the tilts where he jabs at the fighter
  • Down Smash: Spins it around
But you have to put the sword on a new third slot then. :v

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So here's an honest question for you all.

Did hype culture negatively affect Smash Ultimate's speculation period?
Yes. And leaks did too. And hype around leaks, clout around leaks, hype trains being based on leaks, 3rd party newcomers being esteemed more hype than 1st party owned characters...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yes. And leaks did too. And hype around leaks, clout around leaks, hype trains being based on leaks, 3rd party newcomers being esteemed more hype than 1st party owned characters...
To be fair by Smash 4 it really felt like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for Nintendo owned characters imo.
At this point pretty much every relevant Nintendo character has been in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To be fair by Smash 4 it really felt like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for Nintendo owned characters imo.
At this point pretty much every relevant Nintendo character has been in the game.
That's entirely your opinion.

There are many first party characters with enough star power that never been included in Smash. Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Toad, Captain Toad, Impa, any of the BotW Champions, Skull Kid, Midna, Slippy Toad, Krystal, Bandana Dee, Marx, Blastoise, Raichu, Meowth, Blaziken, any of the starter Pokemon of Sword / Shield, Isaac from Golden Sun, Octolings, Ring Fit Trainer... Just naming a few.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

There are many first party characters with enough star power that never been included in Smash. Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Toad, Captain Toad, Impa, any of the BotW Champions, Skull Kid, Midna, Slippy Toad, Krystal, Bandana Dee, Marx, Blastoise, Raichu, Meowth, Blaziken, any of the starter Pokemon of Sword / Shield, Isaac from Golden Sun, Octolings, Ring Fit Trainer... Just naming a few.
I’m still not giving up on Elma either

and Officer Howard. They’d have been perfect had they not been far too late for the DLC plan (singlular they referring to Howard, as their gender can be customized. Elma’s game came out in 2015, I am aware)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's the kind of mindset those who dislike "hype culture" are against. They don't just want random nobodies Nintendo owns in the game, they also want characters that at least have as many fans as the small third-parties that supposedly are now on the table.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I wouldnt exactly say Toad and a Waddle dee have star power...

As much as i would like Isaac to show up ive come to terms with the fact that his only notoriety is as "That character that toally should have been in Brawl but somehow Sakurai didnt see a moveset at the time and now he's doomed to assist trophy hell"

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Most Wanted Characters for next smash game

Ahri __ ( League of Legends ) via Riot Games & Tencent

Matoi / other mage __ ( Phantasy Star Online 2 ) via Sega

Master Chief __ ( Halo ) via 343 Industries & Microsoft

Esmeralda __ ( Mobile Legends ) via Moonton

New Final Fantasy Rep __ via Square Enix

Leon Wesker__ ( Resident Evil ) via Capcom

New Tales of Rep __ ( Tales of ?? ) via Bandai Namco

Impa__( Legend Of Zelda )__ Age of Calamity __style via Nintendo

Tabuu __( Super Smash Bros. ) via HAL & Nintendo

Chozo Warrior __ ( Metroid ) via Nintendo

Characters i don't want in Next SSB game are all the current third party characters in SSBU except Sora

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I really disagree with this take. Smash 4's first party newcomers didn't feel like scraping the bottom of the barrel at all. Out of the first party additions, we had:

Villager - the face of one of the single biggest Nintendo franchises which, at that point, only had a stage.

Wii Fit Trainer - a representative of one of Nintendo's best selling properties. An unorthodox pick in and of herself, but the surprise factor was also a key reason for her inclusion.

Rosalina and Luma - a dark horse fan favorite from Nintendo's flagship franchise. Also gave Smash its first and so far only Puppet Fighter.

Little Mac - a massive fan request from an important and historic Nintendo franchise that got a successful revival three years prior to the project plan finalization.

Greninja - the Obligatory New Pokémon. We would've gotten Greninja no matter how shallow or deep the barrel was, but even still, Greninja turned out to be a good call due to its high popularity.

Palutena - a massive fan request from a successful series revival. Palutena's Mirror is literally what Kid Icarus is titled in Japan.

Robin - one of the main characters from, at the time, the single most successful Fire Emblem game, and the one that kept the franchise from literally dying.

Shulk - the main protagonist from a then-new Nintendo IP, and also a popular fan request.

Bowser Jr. - a popular fan request from Nintendo's flagship franchise. Also brings along the Koopalings, popular characters who originated in one of the most beloved Mario games of all time.

Duck Hunt - the token retro surprise character, who just so happens to hail from one of the best selling NES games due to Duck Hunt being packaged with Super Mario Bros. in the US.

Mii Fighters - Miis are some of Nintendo's most iconic and emblematic characters, especially during the Wii era. Wii Sports and the Mii Maker were cultural phenomenons that even inspired copycats with the Xbox Avatars.

Lucina and Dark Pit - last minute bonus clones who were, themselves, popular characters among their game's fanbases.

Corrin - main character of a recently released/then-upcoming title. Picked mostly because of timing and corporate synergy.

With the exceptions of Wii Fit Trainer (who was purposely picked as a surprise), and Greninja/Corrin (who were picked to tie in with recent releases, but in Greninja's case ended up being super popular anyway), I really don't see how Smash 4's first party roster could be considered bottom of the barrel by any stretch.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Up smash: he sweeps upwards in front of him like a between the legs golf swing with arc damage in front and a bright flash when it reaches directly above him pointing straight... The flash is red and shaped like the triforce of power.

Forward smash: he thrusts the trident straight out in front of him with a similar flash to above

Down smash: like a baseball swing he sweeps in front and spins to the back and then faces forward again. No flash. This moves trips when not charged.

During the flash if A is kept held down the triforce emits a power orb which tracks the player thus giving him a limited projectile.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Lately, I've been thinking about Bubbles from Clu Clu Land being the next NES retro character. I think she has potential and she was also one of the characters Sakurai considered for Melee before going with the Ice Climbers.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
More Cloud ideas. Here's my moveset changes just in case you might have missed it! I think it'd give Cloud some a more realized moveset!

Here's my "give Cloud more stuff" ideas.

Basically think of everything on Ultimate Cloud right now. Most of it remains the same but I'm going to change a few things.

Shield-Special: Limit-Charge

Cloud can either only do Limit-Charges on the ground now or a special system could be devised where if Cloud Limit-Charges in the air he has sacrificed his air-dodge for that aerial Limit-Charge. I think the latter would be just fine and objectively the best solution for this shuffling of inputs. Shield-Special will also get a Limit-Charged variant but I will discuss that further below.

Now to address the opening in his Down-Special!

Down-Special: Materia Menu

Cloud's Down Special is Materia Menu! Cloud gets 100 MP (keeps it simple) and a new shiny Materia Menu! Bonus points if you can change the color of it to your preference! It'll function just like Hero's magic menu but instead of RNG spells Cloud's will be more casual friendly and limited to 4 of the most recognizable materia options from his game. His Materia taunt will be repurposed into the casting animation for these Materia spells. Spells are Fire, Blizzard, Lightning and Cure. Fire, Blizzard and Lightning all cost 50 MP and Cure costs 100 MP. Cure will heal for the same as Hero's. Just like Hero Cloud gets MP from landing attacks. Though whereas Hero's MP slowly regenerates over time Cloud's won't. He'll only gain MP through landing attacks.

Limit-Charged Shield-Special: Meteorain: https://youtu.be/KG0-4WC-LYo?t=31

Cloud will finally get his last (I consider Braver to be referenced in his Forward-Aerial) Limit-Break! Hooray. This also kind of compensates for the lack of Earth Materia spells I think! Cloud leaps into the air and hurls Meteorites below. This could be a decent enough edge-guarding tool. Yay.

Limit-Charged Down-Special is still Finishing Touch which means you're essentially locked out of your Materia Menu when in the Limit-Charge. That's somewhat by design by forcing the player to prioritize attacking with your Limit-Break specials when in the charged state.

Also give Cloud slightly bigger hitboxes when in the Limit-Charged state. Not anything close to his Smash 4 ones but a fair enough little step towards that.

So I actually got the idea for this playing with my normie FF7 friend offline. He's actually the one to lament Cloud not having any Materia options and I theorized this in response to that. With Sora demonstrating a new design philosophy around Square's trademark magic use I think this makes all the more sense now. Cloud with these changes would fall somewhere in the middle between Sora's implementation of magic and Hero's.

Give him his Kingdom Hearts drip and one slight recolor of his Kingdom Hearts drip or 4.

kingdomheartscloud.png

Finally let him change his sword at the select screen using the Y-Button (selects between Pokemon Trainer Pokemon, Stacked Echoes and Pyra/Mythra currently) in any of his costumes to both the classic and redesign of his Ultima weapon! The costume-specific swords remain costume-specific but any of his costumes can wield either of his Ultima Weapons! Visual reference will be provided! Hitboxes remain the same and the blue variant would have to be shrunken a tad but it'd be sooooooo cooooool!

ultimaweapon.png

Then just go ahead and give him everything by improving his Grab speed lol. I mean other than getting his English voice acting into the game but of course that's never happening.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I really disagree with this take. Smash 4's first party newcomers didn't feel like scraping the bottom of the barrel at all. Out of the first party additions, we had:

Villager - the face of one of the single biggest Nintendo franchises which, at that point, only had a stage.

Wii Fit Trainer - a representative of one of Nintendo's best selling properties. An unorthodox pick in and of herself, but the surprise factor was also a key reason for her inclusion.

Rosalina and Luma - a dark horse fan favorite from Nintendo's flagship franchise. Also gave Smash its first and so far only Puppet Fighter.

Little Mac - a massive fan request from an important and historic Nintendo franchise that got a successful revival three years prior to the project plan finalization.

Greninja - the Obligatory New Pokémon. We would've gotten Greninja no matter how shallow or deep the barrel was, but even still, Greninja turned out to be a good call due to its high popularity.

Palutena - a massive fan request from a successful series revival. Palutena's Mirror is literally what Kid Icarus is titled in Japan.

Robin - one of the main characters from, at the time, the single most successful Fire Emblem game, and the one that kept the franchise from literally dying.

Shulk - the main protagonist from a then-new Nintendo IP, and also a popular fan request.

Bowser Jr. - a popular fan request from Nintendo's flagship franchise. Also brings along the Koopalings, popular characters who originated in one of the most beloved Mario games of all time.

Duck Hunt - the token retro surprise character, who just so happens to hail from one of the best selling NES games due to Duck Hunt being packaged with Super Mario Bros. in the US.

Mii Fighters - Miis are some of Nintendo's most iconic and emblematic characters, especially during the Wii era. Wii Sports and the Mii Maker were cultural phenomenons that even inspired copycats with the Xbox Avatars.

Lucina and Dark Pit - last minute bonus clones who were, themselves, popular characters among their game's fanbases.

Corrin - main character of a recently released/then-upcoming title. Picked mostly because of timing and corporate synergy.

With the exceptions of Wii Fit Trainer (who was purposely picked as a surprise), and Greninja/Corrin (who were picked to tie in with recent releases, but in Greninja's case ended up being super popular anyway), I really don't see how Smash 4's first party roster could be considered bottom of the barrel by any stretch.
Aye, that's the thing. We never actually reach the "bottom of the barrel" for first party characters because the "barrel" fills back up over time. Newer characters get downplayed because they weren't formative to people's childhoods in the same way, but to claim characters like Villager or Rosalina or Greninja don't matter is shortsighted as hell.

And we'll probably see the same remarks made next time toward characters like Ring Fit Trainee or Xenoblade 3's protagonist or several Pokémon from Gen 9 or 10 or whichever is going on at the time, without a shred of self-awareness.

Make sure to point out the fallacy in such arguments when you see them.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Aye, that's the thing. We never actually reach the "bottom of the barrel" for first party characters because the "barrel" fills back up over time. Newer characters get downplayed because they weren't formative to people's childhoods in the same way, but to claim characters like Villager or Rosalina or Greninja don't matter is shortsighted as hell.

And we'll probably see the same remarks made next time toward characters like Ring Fit Trainee or Xenoblade 3's protagonist or several Pokémon from Gen 9 or 10 or whichever is going on at the time, without a shred of self-awareness.

Make sure to point out the fallacy in such arguments when you see them.
Adding on to this, I remember once someone pointed out that SSBU was released with much life time after the previous game - Only about 3-4 years after SSB4, rather than the usual 6 years. I think one of the reasons it feels like it at "the bottom of the barrel" is that we just ended what's effectively one extra-length speculation cycle, seeing as 4 and Ult's developments were linked. As a result, the barrel-refilling squad hasn't come down yet to do their job.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Adding on to this, I remember once someone pointed out that SSBU was released with much life time after the previous game - Only about 3-4 years after SSB4, rather than the usual 6 years. I think one of the reasons it feels like it at "the bottom of the barrel" is that we just ended what's effectively one extra-length speculation cycle, seeing as 4 and Ult's developments were linked. As a result, the barrel-refilling squad hasn't come down yet to do their job.
It's particularly telling in that even with Ultimate done we already have a few characters many are asking for such as the Astral Chain protagonists and Ring Fit Trainers. By around six years time there's definitely going to be enough of a backlog of newer characters that people will want to see like Inklings or Shulk, we just have to let time give them a chance to grow.

ZelDan

Smash Master
My issue with the term "bottom of the barrel" is that people seem to think its synonymous with being obscure/niche or something that is old or dormant, which I don't think is the case at all. When I think of "bottom of the barrel" things I think of things that are unwanted or avoided, or so bad that no one touches them, resulting in them eventually dropping to the very bottom of the proverbial barrel.

Like, something like Golden Sun to me honestly doesn't really seem like bottom of the barrel. Yes, the series hasn't had a game in a long time and is a smaller series, but Golden Sun not being big or being dormant isn't a result of it being unwanted. On the contrary, the first 2 Golden Sun games on GBA were quite successful reception-wise and sales-wise for being a brand new JRPG franchise in the early 2000's, and to this day we still see demand for the return of Golden Sun, and this demand has translated to Isaac being up there as one of the most requested first party characters 3 Smash games later.

I could also use something like the Chrono series. Like Golden Sun, the Chrono series hasn't had a new game in a long time, an even longer time than GS even, and I think between Trigger and Cross they garnered 4-5 million sales (based on what I read on the wikipedias of both games if its accurate) which isn't THAT much in the grand scheme of things in the gaming industry, and yet I don't think many would call the Chrono series "bottom of the barrel" when Chrono Trigger is probably one of the most beloved JRPGs of all time and considered by many one of the best, if not THEE best JRPGS of all time, and when Cross itself has managed to have its fair share of fans too

SirCamp

Smash Ace
And having Asuka Senran Kagura as an assist trophy.

Only if both parties (Them and Natsume) agreed to use both name.

How about Project x Zone 3, but with a twist: All the anime-looking humanoid characters from the first two games are vanished out of existence of their universe and the next generation are an overload of Scrimblo Bimblos of Nintendo, Bamco, Sega and Capcom.
Not really? Natsume only owns the name Harvest Moon, but they would just call the series Story of Seasons, as that's what it's called now. Natsume doesn't own anything with respect to the actual games.

Guys, If we had a Villain Rep from Nintendo 1st Party, it would be Andross from Star Fox.
Why:
  • Because we never had a new Star Fox rep since Brawl.
  • Would have unique moveset.
  • Has Full body that can turn into Giant Head in some attacks.
  • Unique Villain Rep
  • First Star Fox character in Smash to have a special Gimmick/mechanic.
  • Can be another Scaled Down-character after Ridley.
  • His Inclusion in Smash would spice up his popularity.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Guys, If we had a Villain Rep from Nintendo 1st Party, it would be Andross from Star Fox.
Why:
  • Because we never had a new Star Fox rep since Brawl.
  • Would have unique moveset.
  • Has Full body that can turn into Giant Head in some attacks.
  • Unique Villain Rep
  • First Star Fox character in Smash to have a special Gimmick/mechanic.
  • Can be another Scaled Down-character after Ridley.
  • His Inclusion in Smash would spice up his popularity.

Well, actually, I think Sylux could be the best bet. With a big role in Metroid Prime 4, and potentially even more games after, he could be not only the next logical Metroid rep, but also might become one of the most requested Nintendo characters. There's also this fan theory that he's Samus' brother, which while cliche, would be kind of interesting depending on how they do it.

Star Fox is also kind of dead, unfortunately, but Andross could definitely be a cool boss at least.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, actually, I think Sylux could be the best bet. With a big role in Metroid Prime 4, and potentially even more games after, he could be not only the next logical Metroid rep, but also might become one of the most requested Nintendo characters. There's also this fan theory that he's Samus' brother, which while cliche, would be kind of interesting depending on how they do it.
Sylux's popularity all but vanished after we got Ridley and Dark Samus, and people already moved on to the next Metroid characters with Dread.

I feel like people are satisfied with the amount of Metroid characters we have now. If next Smash cuts one of them, fans will probably root for them rather than Sylux, who, let's be honest was mostly saw any support because people thought he was the next best thing if they couldn't get Ridley.

Just like Black Shadow, there's very little genuine support for him, so it's really up in the air what his popularity will be like in the future. It's hard to say because he was always a character that depended on maybes. Maybe he'll finally become an interesting character in Prime 4. Maybe he'll not have much competition. Maybe he'll be a request that has anything going for him other than being a potentially relevant character.

Until then, I wouldn't call him a safe bet.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Sylux's popularity all but vanished after we got Ridley and Dark Samus, and people already moved on to the next Metroid characters with Dread.

I feel like people are satisfied with the amount of Metroid characters we have now. If next Smash cuts one of them, fans will probably root for them rather than Sylux, who, let's be honest was mostly saw any support because people thought he was the next best thing if they couldn't get Ridley.

Just like Black Shadow, there's very little genuine support for him, so it's really up in the air what his popularity will be like in the future. It's hard to say because he was always a character that depended on maybes. Maybe he'll finally become an interesting character in Prime 4. Maybe he'll not have much competition. Maybe he'll be a request that has anything going for him other than being a potentially relevant character.

Until then, I wouldn't call him a safe bet.
Fair points. I'm just predicting that his role might be big in MP4. And if so, I could see him becoming more requested. We obviously don't know for sure.

The main Nintendo characters I see as potentially likely are:
  • Waluigi
  • Sylux (if given a big role in Metroid Prime 4 and beyond)
  • Officer Howard / Akira Howard
  • Ring Fit Trainee
  • Octoling (probably an Echo Fighter)
  • A new Pokemon character
  • A new Fire Emblem character
  • A new Xenoblade character
  • The new Monolith Soft IP protagonist (assuming it comes out)
Ring Fit Trainee is probably the most likely Nintendo character at the moment. Considering how well Ring Fit Adventure sold.

Last edited:

Star Fox is also kind of dead, unfortunately, but Andross could definitely be a cool boss at least.
Ehh, whatever. Star Fox will make a Comeback and you won't think that Star Fox franchise is Dead.
And Andross as a Boss, he should better as Fighter since we never had a Star Fox Character, who has Gimmick and Andross has one: Robot Andross, which he becomes after he will get 100% Damage and his Face breaks along with his, revealing Robot Andross and his Wire Primate Body and he could get Super Armor and he will give 10% less Damage, but he becomes heavier.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Ehh, whatever. Star Fox will make a Comeback and you won't think that Star Fox franchise is Dead.
And Andross as a Boss, he should better as Fighter since we never had a Star Fox Character, who has Gimmick and Andross has one: Robot Andross, which he becomes after he will get 100% Damage and his Face breaks along with his, revealing Robot Andross and his Wire Primate Body and he could get Super Armor and he will give 10% less Damage, but he becomes heavier.
I hope it makes a comeback. It deserves it. I just hope we don't just get another Star Fox 1/64 remake. Also, bring back the Star Fox 2 characters. Especially Miyu, she has a cool design.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Dash attack: For the first time in Smash, :ultganondorf:'s dash attack would consist of 2 hits, starting with a bash, followed by a trident swipe attack by pressing the attack button subsequently.
  2. Neutral special: It gets a different animation, with :ultganondorf: holding his trident in his right hand. If the special attack button is pressed normally, he feigns his animation and executes his classic Warlock Punch. But if the button is hold longer, he uses his trident in a similar manner to his Warlock Blade custom special from Smash For.
  3. Down special: Wizard's Dropkick from Smash For but reskinned to make :ultganondorf: thrusting his trident instead of giving a kick.

These are the kind of new moves I had in mind.

Top Bottom