• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm curious when this attempt was made.

It couldn't have been between Smash 4 and Ultimate. That was one continuous development cycle.

I highly doubt it was between 64 and Melee.

So that leaves Melee to Brawl, and Brawl to Smash 4.

Nintendo was going to go and just release Melee with wifi if Sakurai wasn't available to make Brawl. Could that have been the time? Maybe Sakurai hated the idea of just an updated release at that time.
I think it was more likely to be around the Smash 4 era, and my hunch is that it might be right after the base game released when only Mewtwo was revealed as DLC and the idea of the Ballot didn't exist. Sakurai said in an interview after Smash 4 released that it may be his last in the series, and then he lamented that it's hard for him to picture someone else taking his place.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I have consulted with a robot to determine what the next game must do

This is a list of things Super Smash Brothers 6 must do to be good.

1) Cut Toon Link
2) Add Master Chief from Halo
3) add a New Mode called “Hate”
4) Add Rush, Tumble, Bowling or Fruit Ninja to Ranking or Score mode.
5) Add a new set of Alts for most characters, weed them for seasoning.
6) Crush every ice tray in “Little Masters”
7) Develop a Female Amiibo with long legs
8) Have 7 Fire Sprinklers atop the stage with live hearts surrounding them, similar to Cuphead
9) Make Capcom style skeletal enemies
10) Add a fully customizable Sakai mode
11) Swear on Live Stream (Must do)
12) Break and enter E3
13) Fall in love with 5 people at once
14) Develop a Costume that gives Sora's shoelaces a mind of their own
15) Feature Mii Golf
16) Lingerie making Emoji
17) Build your own new art character.
18) Resurrect the Knight
19) Return Ikumi from Skyward Sword
20) Produce more OP character for female gamers
21) Save Little Masters Mode from extinction
22) Add the Bloodborne man
23) Give Luffy a quest to completely remove Japan from EVERYTHING
24) Ship Luffy with every GameBoy
25) Knock Alucard into the Icy Waste of Isla De Seleta
26) Create a Tombstones Subculture
27) Sell tons of Wave Caps to Zoro and R.O.B.
28) Sell 20,000 cartridge boxes for 4D World as soon as it comes out
29) Clone Rukia Kuchiki from Death Note
30) Transplant Sarah from Persona 4 in as Senator Rosen

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think it was more likely to be around the Smash 4 era, and my hunch is that it might be right after the base game released when only Mewtwo was revealed as DLC and the idea of the Ballot didn't exist. Sakurai said in an interview after Smash 4 released that it may be his last in the series, and then he lamented that it's hard for him to picture someone else taking his place.
Experimenting with the idea during a DLC Cycle makes sense. You don't want to hold up the Development of Base game after all, and DLC is extra dev cycle that isn't as important as Base game. I'm going to assume the experiment didn't last too long though, as I'm sure Sakurai probably did need to be more hands on than he wanted too with the DLC.

Considering what Sakurai said about only Making few games more, I'm gonna say he has only 1 New Smash game in him perhaps. I Don't think it would be the Full reboot yet, but I do think he's gonna have to make Sacrifices yes. I think they might wait a long while for either something innovative that happens in Gaming or in Nintendo for Sakurai and Nintendo to come to a on what the Next Smash game looks like, but that's the discussion for Both Nintendo and Sakurai to have to make. Beyond Sakurai, I think that's when the Reboot time is gonna come, either by focusing solely on Nintendo Crossover again, or doing just One Company crossover (Perhaps handing Development to Specfic Companies like Capcom, Bandai Namco, Arc Systems, etc)

Now, this might be too Optimistic, but I don't think this counts out the idea of an Ultimate Expansion game, as that might not be considered a Full Sequel in the eyes of Nintendo and Sakurai. Nintendo was thinking of making Melee for the Wii with Online if Sakurai didn't want to make a Full New Smash game for the Wii, and I think with all praise and Success Smash Ultimate got, along with all the Companies really paying attention to Smash both upfront and in potential rumors, I think Nintendo might be thinking the same thing here.

The difference might be that Sakurai might actually be on board with just Expanding the game now instead of making a Full Sequel. There are Opportunities and potential Additions Ultimate left on the table that might not be available in any other Circumstance, and I think now would be the chance to take it.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The reason Sora is in Smash is that Sakurai has selected Nomura as his successor.

Kojima will obviously be contracted to storyboard the 20 hours of cutscenes in Super Smash Bros: Subspace Emissary 2.
Smash 6's story will be about how all the problems within the Smashverse were all actually caused by nano darknesses this whole time, the horros of gaming characters warring against eachother and beating eachother up for entertainment, and we will learn that every character is either a "Mario" or a "Tabuu"

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I appreciate that y'all are honest about not having impulse control but I genuinely don't think I'd go beyond the characters I listed on my dream roster
If Smash 6 were up to me, I'd start with another Smash Ballot.

Then I'd alternate newcomers between ballot winners, and my own wishlist.

Also, this thread suddenly shifted onto "What if I designed Smash 6"?
Hell yeah!
-Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset based on Hyrule Warriors Trident Ganondorf. Make Black Shadow Captain Falcon's echo and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
-Replace Mario's FLUDD with Cappy.
-Make each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon a separate Fighter, give every Pokemon except Mewtwo a trainer.
-Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his Echo. Make Roy Marth's Echo.
-Make Mythra into Pyra’s Echo.
-Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.
-Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
-Expand the definition of Echo to include Dr. Mario and Pichu.
-Rollback netcode.
-Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
-Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
-Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive play.
-Boss Rush mode.
-Bring back the Smash Run map as a Battle Royal. (64 players teleport in. Players run around killing creeps and collecting upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 surviving players have a Smash match.)

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Not only that, but what actually gets butterflied away is all of Brawl's content. No newcomers, SSE or other stuff like the pretty-underrated Coin Launcher - not at least for a while.
I liked the Coin Launcher myself. You know, as lacking in innovation as it may sound, I do feel that an upgraded Ultimate just becoming even more of a compilation of all the Smash content that came before it can only be a good thing when you consider that those games have been out of print for years with seemingly no sign of getting a true re-release (especially with Nintendo seemingly abandoning Virtual Console).

Most people tend to take Sakurai's incredible credentials for granted. The fact is that there's, well, no one we can really think of who's sincerely played every game out there like Sakurai has, let alone while also being a good game director.

Anyone can go around the internet and easily find people offer all sorts of recommendations of how each franchise's representation in Smash could be improved...but the thing is, that's the recommendations of hundreds of different fans from different backgrounds, who can only really focus on the franchises they love the most. You couldn't pick any one of them to direct the entirety of Smash, even if they have some really good improvements in mind, because it becomes inevitable that they neglect the games that they aren't as familiar with. (This is as easy to prove as looking up any decently-long Smash fanfiction and seeing which franchises get focused and which ones get neglected.)

That's the real problem with trying to make "Smash" as Sakurai has characterized it—you need either a lone director who can both appreciate any game thrown at them while knowing how to design a simple yet deep game, or a collective committee that could cover all your corners, yet might make the process of making the game so much more complicated without a single director to watch it all. Frankly, we've got plenty examples in the modern day of how games directed by anyone less turn out.
Indeed. As much as I want certain characters and concepts in Smash, there's no way in hell I could take up directorial duties given my general lack of involvement in competitive fighting games (though I do dabble in the online, I appreciate Smash more for its single-player aspects than anything else).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I am probably going to take a break from speculation hard after this post, but I figured I would share this with you all.

Originally, during the final day of RTC, I was going to try and post one last time to let everyone know the final tally, but instead we just dumped the info in the RTC discord. That being said, I figured I would show it off today. Thanks again to Sari Sari for helping me with this.

For RTC's final day, we asked people to predict front runners for the next game, and try to guess either what would get in or what would become the hot topics of speculation, while putting a ban on Next Pokemon and Next Fire Emblem for obvious reasons. Here are the results.

First Party.PNG

For first party, the amount of picks people really brought up was pretty consistent for the most part. You had a few people mentioning Animal Crossing and Tom Nook post New Horizons, but the vast majority of speculation was guessed to be on these six. In my opinion, these six all make a lot of sense. Splatoon has ballooned to be pretty big, Ring Fit and Astral Chain both were huge successes on the switch, and id say that the last three (Waluigi, Isaac, and Dee), are probably the last three truly massive smash requests in terms of first party.

third party part 1.PNG
third party part 2.PNG

In terms of third parties, there was actually as you can see a lot more variety in who people highlighted and chose to focus on. Sakurai saying Lloyd and Dante were fan favorites seems to have made people more hopeful of them getting in in a potential next smash, whenever that may be. Crash still seems to have his fan demand intact, and still is seen as a super huge front runner for next time. Hayabusa support also seems to be less of a flash in the pan, hopefully he will be the Simon of the next gmae inf that makes sense. Capcom support seems to have people guessing that despite MH, RE, Chun Li, and Phoenix Wright all making sense, Dante seems to be king after that mii costume comment. People were divided on whether Chief, Doomguy, or Dragonborn would be the next Microsoft rep. Sol Badguy doing as well as he did surprised me, but to be fair if we do get another fighting game character, Guilty Gear seems like a solid place to turn to. Undertale/Deltarune seem to be the picks if we do get another indie character; with how popular they are globally I think it is a safe bet.

What was interesting though is how some characters have taken a tumble in terms of how likely people thought they are. Rayman, Shantae, and Geno for instance underpreformed what I expected of them.

Obviously, the entire question of the next smash is meaningless until there is a next smash. Hell, the most likely outcome according to that last Sakurai famitsu poll seems to be we might just get an ultimate port, where we would be lucky to get any new content save for better online. But it is interesting to have a bit of a baseline for what people are expecting. Thoughts?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee's been viewed as a likely newcomer since Sm4sh lol

You'd think they'd take the hint by now

Trevenant

Smash Lord
New Boss predictions for Smash 6:
Donkey Kong: Lord Fredrik
Metroid: Mother Brain
Star Fox: Aparoid Queen or Andross (depends on how Andross has Moveset Potential)
Fire Emblem: Grima
Splatoon: DJ Octavio
TBH Literally any character has moveset potential tbh lmao. I've seen some pretty weird sets in smash. There was one GFaqs crap poster who made one for the Brawl main theme lol. And it was actually not a complete s***post set lol as it made some level of sense. Whether Sakurai will fulfill the request of making Brawl Main Theme a character in it's waveform form is up in the air, but I'm pretty sure every character has moveset potential that ties into some kind of playstyle that makes sense for them and is unique. Even characters who are literally against fighting and have no combat prowess could probably be turned into some kind of turtle camper.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
So part of Sakurai's last Famitsu column leaked.

He says he's currently not thinking about the next game, but he does say that "I can't say this is the last Smash Bros." Goes on to add "I don't see how Smash Bros. can be produced without me at the moment. To be honest, I'd rather leave it to someone else, and I've tried, but it hasn't worked out. If we're going to continue with the series, we need to have a dialogue between me and Nintendo and discuss how we can make it work, so it's an issue we need to think about seriously."
I've been saying just the same for the last 6 months (after it became crystal clear that FP3 wasn't a thing). I'm glad Sakurai has seemingly rolled out the red carpet for this take I have!

I've been a tad intimated to be so presumptuous as to what Sakurai should do with HIS life but seemingly what I took away from the Harada interview is indeed the case in that first Sakurai isn't done with Smash and if he takes a break he'll only do so for at most a year tops.

Okay that all being said here's MY solution to this dilemma he's facing. Again I don't mean to be so presumptuous about the way somebody else decides fits best for THEIR life. I understand and accept the idea of Sakurai just leaving the whole thing entirely and just living HIS life the way HE wants to. I'd rather he dedicate his life to Smash but that's not his obligation to me or anything.

Sora (his company) is pretty much set up to facilitate Sakurai and his wife's freelanced labor. What if that changed slightly? I'm going to take a note from one of his friends Kojima. Kojima visited the studio "Media Molecule" one day and found their company culture inspiring to himself personally. Media Molecule has a 100 employee cap they haven't even reached but when they do their plan is to cap it at that in order to retain the familiarized and intimate culture around the office. Kojima liked this so much that he modeled "Kojima Productions" after Media Molecule insisting on a 100 employee cap for his studio as well.

Sakurai should do the same with Sora. Turn it into a medium-size studio at the absolute most. Sora though should be dedicated to Sakurai's own games that he wants to make outside of Smash. These can be anywhere from small indie sized games to new Kirby titles or a brand new IP. Sakurai helms this studio with his wife and all is good for Sakurai's creativity outside of Smash. I imagine Nintendo turns this into a 2nd Party studio of sorts.

Smash though needs something bigger than 100 employees. An entire division at Bamco (with financial backing from Nintendo of course) should suffice. A legitimate AAA staffed division dedicated to Smash and only Smash. Sakurai also helms this division but begins the process of grooming a TEAM of successors not just 1 individual. This allows for Sakurai to widen his net of expectations for a successor and also more thoroughly delegate duties in the here and now.

Preparations are made to keep Sakurai's workload reasonable as can be after which this is ideally the best of both worlds. The potential heirs to Smash would be handling things while Sakurai was either taking a break or working on games not Smash when at Sora. When Sakurai is busy with Smash either his wife or somebody else helms Sora.

This is all I can imagine in regards to Sakurai keeping Smash within his wheelhouse while also allowing for him to branch outside of his work on the series. I think with the appropriate funding (seriously Nintendo, seriously) to keep both these hypothetical organizations well stocked and staffed then this could potentially work out great so long as Sakurai and team could actually get legitimate time off as well.

Oh well that's pretty much my suggestion that nobody relevant to the discussions will ever know about. I hope they can reach something that'll work that'll specifically give Smash the biggest budget and more staff!

Last edited:
TBH Literally any character has moveset potential tbh lmao. I've seen some pretty weird sets in smash. There was one GFaqs crap poster who made one for the Brawl main theme lol. And it was actually not a complete s***post set lol as it made some level of sense. Whether Sakurai will fulfill the request of making Brawl Main Theme a character in it's waveform form is up in the air, but I'm pretty sure every character has moveset potential that ties into some kind of playstyle that makes sense for them and is unique. Even characters who are literally against fighting and have no combat prowess could probably be turned into some kind of turtle camper.
Ha, I knew that Andross can be Playable.
I am really smart here.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Ha, I knew that Andross can be Playable.
I am really smart here.
It's definitely not a thing going in favor of Andross lol. It really only raises the amount of characters who should get in before him. It just shows that anyone can have a moveset made for them.

Andross himself, is from a series that has a very uncertain future, and is a character who I've never seen persistently mentioned by anyone but yourself. His assist trophy also gives us an idea of how the smash team would interpret him, which seems to be the giant tile firing head from the first SF game, which, suffice to say is hardly an ideal version but his other form just isn't iconic. A series with 3 semi-clone builds suddenly getting what seems like an arbitrary pick is way less likely than it just not getting one, unless its Krystal IMO.

Even if SF did somehow get another character, Krystal was incredibly popular and has even more potential as a character than Andross who seems better fit as a boss. Even then, the 3 spacies seems like more than enough to me. Andross just seems arbitrary and tacky imo, no real need to have him there unless they were drawing characters out of a hat.

If he was really necessary, I'd imagine people would at least throw around the idea more than what they have, which is almost non-existent

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I am probably going to take a break from speculation hard after this post, but I figured I would share this with you all.

Originally, during the final day of RTC, I was going to try and post one last time to let everyone know the final tally, but instead we just dumped the info in the RTC discord. That being said, I figured I would show it off today. Thanks again to Sari Sari for helping me with this.

For RTC's final day, we asked people to predict front runners for the next game, and try to guess either what would get in or what would become the hot topics of speculation, while putting a ban on Next Pokemon and Next Fire Emblem for obvious reasons. Here are the results.

View attachment 336528

For first party, the amount of picks people really brought up was pretty consistent for the most part. You had a few people mentioning Animal Crossing and Tom Nook post New Horizons, but the vast majority of speculation was guessed to be on these six. In my opinion, these six all make a lot of sense. Splatoon has ballooned to be pretty big, Ring Fit and Astral Chain both were huge successes on the switch, and id say that the last three (Waluigi, Isaac, and Dee), are probably the last three truly massive smash requests in terms of first party.

View attachment 336529View attachment 336530

In terms of third parties, there was actually as you can see a lot more variety in who people highlighted and chose to focus on. Sakurai saying Lloyd and Dante were fan favorites seems to have made people more hopeful of them getting in in a potential next smash, whenever that may be. Crash still seems to have his fan demand intact, and still is seen as a super huge front runner for next time. Hayabusa support also seems to be less of a flash in the pan, hopefully he will be the Simon of the next gmae inf that makes sense. Capcom support seems to have people guessing that despite MH, RE, Chun Li, and Phoenix Wright all making sense, Dante seems to be king after that mii costume comment. People were divided on whether Chief, Doomguy, or Dragonborn would be the next Microsoft rep. Sol Badguy doing as well as he did surprised me, but to be fair if we do get another fighting game character, Guilty Gear seems like a solid place to turn to. Undertale/Deltarune seem to be the picks if we do get another indie character; with how popular they are globally I think it is a safe bet.

What was interesting though is how some characters have taken a tumble in terms of how likely people thought they are. Rayman, Shantae, and Geno for instance underpreformed what I expected of them.

Obviously, the entire question of the next smash is meaningless until there is a next smash. Hell, the most likely outcome according to that last Sakurai famitsu poll seems to be we might just get an ultimate port, where we would be lucky to get any new content save for better online. But it is interesting to have a bit of a baseline for what people are expecting. Thoughts?
Look it’s me I’m the sole Elma vote cuz I’m not giving up on her, Xenoblade 3 be damned

but nice to see Octoling among the top Nintendo characters

and yeah, the Famitsu comment does make me think well just get an ultimate port at least until Sakurai can find a suitable successor

Ivander

Smash Legend
As much as an Ultimate Port/Deluxe would be a common assumption to make, especially when Sakurai seems undecided for a successor, I am remembering that Sakurai doesn't necessarily like making a game very same-y, since that was his reasoning for making Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U have different modes and whatnot from each other. Honestly, there's no telling what's going to happen, but personally, I don't think Ultimate Deluxe will happen, despite it being what some people really hope for. Or if it does, I'm not sure about some of the stuff like Spirits/World of Light staying. And who knows what could replace them if they don't stay.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As much as an Ultimate Port/Deluxe would be a common assumption to make, especially when Sakurai seems undecided for a successor, I am remembering that Sakurai doesn't necessarily like making a game very same-y, since that was his reasoning for making Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U have different modes and whatnot from each other. Honestly, there's no telling what's going to happen, but personally, I don't think Ultimate Deluxe will happen, despite it being what some people really hope for. Or if it does, I'm not sure about some of the stuff like Spirits/World of Light staying. And who knows what could replace them if they don't stay.
They could tweak WoL a bit like rearranging some spirit layouts, adding more bosses, maybe another platform segment

goes without saying replace Min Min and Mythra’s spirit battles on WoL with the characters awakening battles (the latter including Pyra obvi) and doing the same for any new characters who were WoL map spirits in OG Ultimate (like if we get OE Octoling playable, replace the Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy spirit battle in the Dark Realm with their awakening battle)

and add lore blurbs to spirits since they’re supposed to be the successor to trophies

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Its possible next smash game is heavily focused on switch first party titles (2019-2022/23 for sure) for fighters, stages, music, veteran alts, Assists, items, spirits, mii costumes, etc.

Games like Luigi’s Mansion 3, Astral Chain, Pokémon Sword/Shield, Ring Fit Adventure, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Paper Mario Origami King, Mario Golf Super Rush, Metroid Dread, Pokémon Legends, Splatoon 3, Zelda BOTW2, Bayonetta 3, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Xenoblade 3, next Mario 3D or Mario Kart….

There is a good amount of stuff they can pull new content.

Then add some new third party collaborations.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a game.

Give every franchise with a playable character one more stage.

The catch? It has to be from a newer title from that franchise. Prioritize newer entries.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Here's a game.

The catch? It has to be from a newer title from that franchise. Prioritize newer entries.
looks at Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Three Houses and Xenoblade 2 which got stages

"Should they though?"

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here's a game.

AKA: "Choose a bunch of things you don't like."

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

View attachment 336528

View attachment 336529View attachment 336530

Glad to see Ryu Hayabusa that high up in 3rd. I figured he'd be getting a lot more support now.

For the next Microsoft rep, Doomguy is my number one pick. I'm really happy that he got in Ultimate as a Mii costume and would love if he got upgraded to a playable character.

But the lack of any Double Dragon or Contra characters is just strange to me. Maybe it's because they haven't been part of people's speculations but they're being really overlooked. Kind of unfairly. Maybe if fans bring more attention to the idea, other people will start supporting them more.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But the lack of any Double Dragon or Contra characters is just strange to me.
Not to me.

The Retronaut crowd really only focuses on one character at a time. First it was Mega Man. Then it was Simon. Now it's Hayabusa.

After we get Hayabusa, focus will shift to Rizer.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Not to me.

The Retronaut crowd really only focuses on one character at a time. First it was Mega Man. Then it was Simon. Now it's Hayabusa.

After we get Hayabusa, focus will shift to Rizer.
Yeah but I'd rather that change now. Of course, Hayabusa will still get the most focus but I really don't want him to be the only one that gets it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well that's just how it works.

Right now, Hayabusa is the army at the Black Gate of Mordor. And Rizer is Frodo sneaking around in the back.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Well that's just how it works.

Right now, Hayabusa is the army at the Black Gate of Mordor. And Rizer is Frodo sneaking around in the back.
What about the other NES/retro characters?
(Probably some of the army who got ignored.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Time for a new little game:

You're in charge of an Echo Fighters Pass consisting of 4 new Echo Fighters.

Here're the rules for each Echo you suggest:
  • Which original fighter they are derived from?
  • How they fit their original fighter's body type?
  • Which gameplay difference(s) would they have?

Top Bottom