• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Warning Issued
Local Smash fan when not everyone in the world worships the same game with them:

View attachment 341398
Alright if you want to be a sensitive little baby about it then go ahead. I tried to explain myself as properly respectful as I possibly could but clearly you weren't worth it troll.

Regarding the sentiment of your stupid meme (which is just your pathetic attempt at a thought-ending-cliche in the context as a reply to my thoughtful post) it is kind of messed up how accommodating the west is to Japanese games/products and how hostile Japanese companies/customers are in to western games/products in stark contrast in return. Maybe they should get over themselves some? Kind of like you should too.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Local Smash fan when not everyone in the world worships the same game with them:

View attachment 341398
Alright if you want to be a sensitive little baby about it then go ahead. I tried to explain myself as properly respectful as I possibly could but clearly you weren't worth it troll.

Regarding the sentiment of your stupid meme (which is just your pathetic attempt at a thought-ending-cliche in the context as a reply to my thoughtful post) it is kind of messed up how accommodating the west is to Japanese games/products and how hostile Japanese companies/customers are in to western games/products in stark contrast in return. Maybe they should get over themselves some? Kind of like you should too.
Best to drop this discussion. Thank you.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Who do you think is the most realistic newcomer to make base roster in the next game? I'm thinking a retro rep like Mach Rider or Frogger is likely. Also does anyone know who the sword fighter was considered but replaced with Kazuya. I heard Takamaru was considered but I think that was much earlier.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Who do you think is the most realistic newcomer to make base roster in the next game? I'm thinking a retro rep like Mach Rider or Frogger is likely. Also does anyone know who the sword fighter was considered but replaced with Kazuya. I heard Takamaru was considered but I think that was much earlier.
My money is on Octoling and Ring Fit Trainer for the next game. Another Pokémon from the next Gen is a pretty safe bet as well.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
First, Boxing games don't have 2D perspective, but Fighting Games yes.
So...Tekken isn't a fighting game then?

4. Pro wrestling is very obscure game and a lot of people forgot that s*** existed. Some people even recognized Sukapon before his Smash debut.
Pro Wrestling was actually popular back when it was new. Joy Mech Fight was never even released outside of Japan.

Has anyone here modded their Switch, Specifically Smash?
No. I'd be afraid to brick something.

According to my thoughts, you're the one guy who remembers Pro Wrestling and didn't knew about Sukapon.
Pretty much anyone who's that age, and wasn't from Japan.

There's a reason it's an entire level of Abobo's Big Adventure.

I have been saying for a while people have been sleeping on it.
Including Square...

If they make any new Chrono content then I'd say Crono is a lock for the next game. Of course that first thing is a lot easier to dream about than to actually manifest...
At the very least, Spirits. As practically every Square game released on Switch got a spirit event. :p

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
So...Tekken isn't a fighting game then?

Pro Wrestling was actually popular back when it was new. Joy Mech Fight was never even released outside of Japan.

No. I'd be afraid to brick something.

Pretty much anyone who's that age, and wasn't from Japan.

There's a reason it's an entire level of Abobo's Big Adventure.

Including Square...

At the very least, Spirits. As practically every Square game released on Switch got a spirit event. :p
I recognized Sukapon. I played a pirated version of Joy Mech Fight on the Dreamcast. (Don't know how he got it on there) But it was my favorite game on there. But I don't think he's iconic at all. A lot of people don't know who he is.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Ring Fit Trainee is the closest thing we have an Inkling level of lock.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It's absolutely too early to say for me specifically because my answer is "protagonist of a game released between now and new Smash"

What game? I dunno because I'm no time traveler.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Reminder that there have been three absolutes since Melee:

• New Pokemon
  • New Fire Emblem
  • New "surprise" fighter
And also the occasional wildly successful new EAD/EPD property, like Splatoon and probably Ring Fit Adventure next time around.

Arguably there's also "New Mario character" but that one's a bit shakey considering Brawl didn't exactly have a new Mario rep in the traditional sense. The closest thing was Wario, who is Mario adjacent despite having his own series. I guess you can say the same thing with Diddy.

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
It's absolutely too early to say for me specifically because my answer is "protagonist of a game released between now and new Smash"

What game? I dunno because I'm no time traveler.
I can't wait for what the future holds. Smash has been making me want to try every game out there, but there is nothing like finding that one game that you just go to and makes you want nothing else. Ever since smash 3ds it was Smash. Before that it was Skyrim and Minecraft. I'm sure there will be something new I can love as much as smash but it hasn't hit yet. I can't wait to see what the future has in store.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Who do you think is the most realistic newcomer to make base roster in the next game?
If we're going with characters that actually exist at the moment (so no then-recent Pokemon or then-recent Fire Emblem protagonist), Octoling from Splatoon seems extremely likely.

Aside from being popular enough to get their own DLC in Splatoon 2 (and promoted to being available from the start in Splatoon 3, from what I recall of the footage we've seen), it's an easy inclusion for an extremely popular series. (it seems like Octoling would be a clone of Inkling, with different weapons of the same types to justify any differences in attack properties)

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
If the swordie was swapped by Kazuya I assume it was supposed to be a Bandai Namco character because they're working on Smash and wanted another character. So I think it's either Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia or a Soul Calibur character. Don't know between the two, I don't know much about their series but I assume Lloyd would've had priority as he's a Mii costume and Soul Calibur doesn't have those from what I remember.

My most realistic newcomer that isn't something obvious like "a new Pokemon" is Isaac. I know he didn't get in but I think those games are justifiable, Golden Sun was only 92 days in existence before Melee released, Sakurai thought it would be cool for just an AT in Brawl, Sakurai had no idea Isaac was extremely popular so he missed 4, and the room was way too full to include him in Ultimate (I think him being included as an AT was a great sign, it shows Sakurai listened but he couldn't add him as playable in the time schedule). Now, Sakurai knows fans want him, he'd be unique, be a good retro rep, I admit I don't know what the next Smash game is but I feel that's the time Isaac would get his chance
Tl;dr: It probably was either Lloyd or a Soul Calibur character considered but replaced by Kazuya; Not including the way too obvious picks like a new Pokémon character, I have good faith this is when Isaac from Golden Sun becomes playable.

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
This one I feel is a bit shakey because we wouldn't have gotten Chrom in base game without Echo Fighters.

And Byleth shouldn't count because being DLC means they weren't originally planned.
People who want another fire emblem character in smash are an oppressed minority. They are probably hated by at least 80% of the community and at least 50% of people who know nothing about smash except that we hate fire emblem fans.

I can't hate on anyone's most wanted. That's someone's dream fighter.

I remember when I first saw super smash bros. It was brawl I probably had the same reaction that most people had when they played Mario Odyssey, "WTF Mario with regular people?" So that's why Fire Emblem characters stand out to me.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If the swordie was swapped by Kazuya I assume it was supposed to be a Bandai Namco character because they're working on Smash and wanted another character. So I think it's either Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia or a Soul Calibur character. Don't know between the two, I don't know much about their series but I assume Lloyd would've had priority as he's a Mii costume and Soul Calibur doesn't have those from what I remember.

My most realistic newcomer that isn't something obvious like "a new Pokemon" is Isaac. I know he didn't get in but I think those games are justifiable, Golden Sun was only 92 days in existence before Melee released, Sakurai thought it would be cool for just an AT in Brawl, Sakurai had no idea Isaac was extremely popular so he missed 4, and the room was way too full to include him in Ultimate (I think him being included as an AT was a great sign, it shows Sakurai listened but he couldn't add him as playable in the time schedule). Now, Sakurai knows fans want him, he'd be unique, be a good retro rep, I admit I don't know what the next Smash game is but I feel that's the time Isaac would get his chance
Tl;dr: It probably was either Lloyd or a Soul Calibur character considered but replaced by Kazuya; Not including the way too obvious picks like a new Pokémon character, I have good faith this is when Isaac from Golden Sun becomes playable.
I'm a simple man.

I see Nightmare acknowledgement, I like.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So do you think we're gonna make page 100 by New Years? :nifty:

Who do you think is the most realistic newcomer to make base roster in the next game?
Define "realistic" lol. Do you just mean based on who barely didn't make it this game or just based on the process of elimination?

Anyone who can be an Echo is easy pickings. Octoling, Dixie Kong, Shadow, actually making Alph a real character, etc. For real fleshed out newcomers? Eh... couldn't tell you first-party-wise. Really I'd bet on someone like Travis Touchdown.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hold up what’s this about a swordfighter being scrapped and choosing Kazuya instead? Where was this?

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144

Define "realistic" lol. Do you just mean based on who barely didn't make it this game or just based on the process of elimination?
I want to hear it all. Give me your list.

KillerCage

Smash Master

needed text

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I want to hear it all. Give me your list.
Anyone who can be an Echo is easy pickings. Octoling, Dixie Kong, Shadow, actually making Alph a real character, etc. For real fleshed out newcomers? Eh... couldn't tell you first-party-wise. Really I'd bet on someone like Travis Touchdown.
Already did.

needed text
I was thinking this too but it'd be sad if Smashboards can't put literally 24 posts in this thread in 24 hours.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

i'm doing my part to hit page 100. don't thank me.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Is it just me, or are non-human, anthropomorphic and cartoony characters in Smash games more likely to be included in the base game of a Smash game rather than DLC? There are some exceptions, like Banjo-Kazooie, but characters like Ridley and K. Rool did not make it in Smash 4 as DLC and ended up in the base game for Ultimate. Also, almost all the DLC characters for Ultimate were human or humanoid.

Maybe it is just me, but I just needed to get something off my chest.

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Is it just me, or are non-human, anthropomorphic and cartoony characters in Smash games more likely to be included in the base game of a Smash game rather than DLC? There are some exceptions, like Banjo-Kazooie, but characters like Ridley and K. Rool did not make it in Smash 4 as DLC and ended up in the base game for Ultimate. Also, almost all the DLC characters for Ultimate were human or humanoid.

Maybe it is just me, but I just needed to get something off my chest.
You got a point. Maybe Sakurai thought humans were more badass or something, but I think it's a coincidence.

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
If you ask me, even if they do take more work or something, I prefer the cartoony and non-human, anthropomorphic characters a lot more.
Between my 3 most wanteds. I'm right down the middle. And if you look at polls a lot of people are right down the middle.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I understand. There are some realistic and human characters I want, but I find the non-human and cartoony ones more interesting personally, for some reason.
I don't care so much. I just want my oldest memories immortalized in the form of a smash bros character.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't care so much. I just want my oldest memories immortalized in the form of a smash bros character.
So, with that said, basically my most wanteds left to appear are Geno, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro (even with the horrid stuff the latter two's company have done), Bandana Dee, Dante from Devil May Cry, Master Chief, among others.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
So, with that said, basically my most wanteds left to appear are Geno, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro (even with the horrid stuff the latter two's company have done), Bandana Dee, Dante from Devil May Cry, Master Chief, among others.
Marina Liteyears, Khameleon (cheat code unlockable in Mortal Kombat), Sandbag, Lightning (Final Fantasy 13), and literally any Killer Instinct rep, but honestly if I get Marina I'll stop asking for stuff. I just want everyone to be happy. I'll be content no matter what but please make as many people happy as possible.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Marina Liteyears, Khameleon (cheat code unlockable in Mortal Kombat), Sandbag, Lightning (Final Fantasy 13), and literally any Killer Instinct rep, but honestly if I get Marina I'll stop asking for stuff. I just want everyone to be happy. I'll be content no matter what but please make as many people happy as possible.
Oh, Marina is a wanted of mine too! I forgot about her! I'd love to see her in Smash!

Top Bottom