• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Yeah, it is quite cute. I also want Rayman.

EDIT: 100 pages!
Are there any characters you'd want simply for the longing of the fanbase and deserve to make it in even though you don't have a personal connection?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Are there any characters you'd want simply for the longing of the fanbase and deserve to make it in even though you don't have a personal connection?
Not sure about that, though I had no connection to Banjo and Kazooie, but I always wanted to play their games and did want them in Smash.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I know about Joy Mech Fight mostly because of Brawl/slightly-post-Brawl-era speculation and trying out a lot of NES games around that time. Sukapon would be alright.

Chrono Trigger is probably one of the last important JRPGs to add, as far as I can tell, but I don’t really want Crono without his party members somewhat involved. I’ve seen a moveset written out that pulled it off pretty well.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
100 pages? Um...

I don't want any Sony reps until they start treating Japan with respect again. Their Japanese IPs are all 10x better than all the generic cinematic stuff they've been putting out recently.

We're... supposed to be sharing our hot takes, right?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I know about Joy Mech Fight mostly because of Brawl/slightly-post-Brawl-era speculation and trying out a lot of NES games around that time. Sukapon would be alright.

Chrono Trigger is probably one of the last important JRPGs to add, as far as I can tell, but I don’t really want Crono without his party members somewhat involved. I’ve seen a moveset written out that pulled it off pretty well.
Yeah, Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time but Crono himself is my least favorite character from his game. A moveset that incorporates his dual techs with party members would be awesome if he made it.

My personal preference is Magus over Crono but I doubt that would go over well with most people. Crono is definitely more likely but Magus has one advantage over any other character. I’m not sure how many here are aware of this but he was originally planned to also be playable in Chrono Cross as Guile. That idea had to be scrapped due to time constraints and Guile became his own separate character. However, in the DS port of Chrono Trigger, one of the endings hint that the two may in fact be the same character after all. Because of this, I think Magus would be a great character to represent both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

All that sounds nice but the main reason I want Magus over Crono is just because he’s my favorite character and I had to justify the choice somehow lol.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I dont think lloyd irving is likely as i dont think hes really that iconic nor i feel like he is particularly unique

I also doubt that we will recieve another character from a 3d fighting game unless it is jin kazama as they already had a lot of diffuculties of trying to implement tekkens movement into smash with kazuyas devil gene being the reason why a tekken rep was in and i dont think any 3d fighting game character has something similiar to that

So in terms namco reps i think that agumon or chosen undead are the most likeliest

osby

Smash Obsessed
I dont think lloyd irving is likely as i dont think hes really that iconic nor i feel like he is particularly unique

I also doubt that we will recieve another character from a 3d fighting game unless it is jin kazama as they already had a lot of diffuculties of trying to implement tekkens movement into smash with kazuyas devil gene being the reason why a tekken rep was in and i dont think any 3d fighting game character has something similiar to that

So in terms namco reps i think that agumon or chosen undead are the most likeliest
I don't really care about Lloyd but if he was a newcomer in Ultimate, he'd neither be the least iconic nor least unique character among third parties.

I also disagree that we won't be getting anymore 3D fighters. There have been instances where Sakurai figured out how to implement characters between games and we don't even know what he thinks about games other than Tekken on that regard.

Finally, Bandai-Namco has more likely series than those four imo, but that's neither here or there.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Reall
I don't really care about Lloyd but if he was a newcomer in Ultimate, he'd neither be the least iconic nor least unique character among third parties.

I also disagree that we won't be getting anymore 3D fighters. There have been instances where Sakurai figured out how to implement characters between games and we don't even know what he thinks about games other than Tekken on that regard.

Finally, Bandai-Namco has more likely series than those four imo, but that's neither here or there.
Really?like what?
Because i feel like those 4 have the highest chances

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Who do you think is the most realistic newcomer to make base roster in the next game?
Hard to say, really, as nothing is 100% guaranteed. I guess Ring Fit and Astral Chain are notable as new IPs, though it's hard to tell if they'll develop into a proper series or fall by the wayside with time (granted, the latter didn't keep ARMS from eventually getting a rep). However, if Inkling and Villager* are any indication, a new Nintendo IP (or in Villager's case, a long-standing IP that just never had a playable up until that point) could be the headliner to cap off the new Smash game's announcement.

*And MAYBE Wario's WarioWare costume in Brawl. Though that's a big MAYBE, considering Wario was part of a collective of other reveals, which were immediately overshadowed by the actual major announcement of Snake (though, the same could also be said of Villager arguably being upstaged by Mega Man). At any rate, Brawl came about at a time where Smash still had yet to make major spectacles over each individual character reveal (with some of the roster still being unknown until after the game released), so it's easy to dismiss Brawl as simply being a different beast from the Smash4 and Ultimate announcement periods.

I have been forced to eat my hat before in assuming that Sakurai shouldn't listen to the parts of the fanbase who are only being the loudest voices. That said, Crash and Geno seem like possibilities, as well as Waluigi. Though speaking of Waluigi, I feel like a lot of people in this thread are sleeping on the fact that Assist Trophies are on the table again. Of them, Bomberman seems like one of those characters who simply missed the boat this time around (maybe because Konami was more dedicated to getting Castlevania in Smash? I dunno), and the eventual reveal of a Mii costume further gives me the impression that he was still on the Smash team's minds. This is just my speculation, but maybe they settled on that costume because there was no backing out of the fact that they already made him an Assist in the base game, thus he couldn't become DLC.

100 pages? Um...

I don't want any Sony reps until they start treating Japan with respect again. Their Japanese IPs are all 10x better than all the generic cinematic stuff they've been putting out recently.

We're... supposed to be sharing our hot takes, right?
Look at it this way: if Sony keeps crapping on Japan, they'll eventually go broke. They go the way of Sega, and that frees up all their IPs to eventually appear on Nintendo systems (in fact, they already seem to be going that route now that they're porting their first-party games to PC).

Reall

Really?like what?
Because i feel like those 4 have the highest chances
I'm still hoping for Xenosaga. And given its connection to Monolith, it only seems the more relevant. Though, Namco also has many other major and classic IPs, particularly ones represented in Pac-Man's taunt (notable contenders being Taiko no Tatsujin, Katamari Damacy, Tower of Druaga, Dig-Dug, Valkyrie, and maybe Mappy).

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Who do you think is the most realistic newcomer to make base roster in the next game?.
Eggman and/or Shadow. The Sonic series is long overdue for a second fighter, and Smash has been making up for the lack of villains as of late. I really hope to see one of these two! I think it depends on whether they take the completely original character route (Eggman) or echo/semi-clone route (Shadow). Or maybe they'll even do both, both is good.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, but...Sakurai did make sure most of the explicitly Disney stuff in KH was scrubbed entirely, leaving only the Mickey Mouse keychain. If he made the KH content focus solely on characters, locations, and music created for it, Mario ain't punching Mickey any time soon.
Yep, especially considering that for Sora's FS they didn't go for the obvious choice of the Trinity (which involves Donald and Goofy) and instead they made his FS Sealing the Keyhole, which is something he can do on his own, without any Disney characters.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Who do you think is the most realistic newcomer to make base roster in the next game?
-I would say Ring Fit trainer and Octolings are currently above everyone due to being very successful new Nintendo IP and still going.
-Also probably we would get new Pokémon and Fire emblem rep and I guess it’s part of the smash tradition.
-As for others I would say Waluigi and Geno for being very heavily supported for so many years could cause them to be included alongside :ultkrool::ultridley::ultsora::ultbanjokazooie:
-Some other I could see Monster Hunter and Bomberman being part of the base game.
-New company with their character would likely be represented and we might see it being Rayman or Ryu Hayabusa or Tetromino.
-As for the highly Japanese community supported characters I would assume Dante and Lloyd possibly could come in but I would guess DLC would be the most likely scenario.
-I would also expect a retro rep Takamaru or Sukapon or Lip or Harry or Mach Rider or Foreman Spike i think at least one of them could receive the special surprise pick.
-As for Isaac, Andy, Ayumi the possibilities are still there but not sure if by the time smash 6 happens Nintendo would want to promote their series.
-A Nintendo villain is likely to get in the base game it might be Skull Kid or Porky or Black Shadow or Black Knight or King Boo remember we got many villains during this time :ultkrool::ultpiranha::ultridley::ultdarksamus:
-there would probably little space left in the base roster and these would probably be for echoes such as Ms. Pac-man, Shadow, Ninten, Jin, Funky Kong and even possibly :ultzombie: :ultalph:

Last edited:
I would say Ring Fit trainer and Octolings are currently above everyone due to being very successful new Nintendo IP and still going.
Also probably we would get new Pokémon and Fire emblem rep and I guess it’s part of the smash tradition.
As for others I would say Waluigi and Geno for being very heavily supported for so many years could cause them to be included alongside :ultkrool::ultridley::ultsora::ultbanjokazooie:
Some other I could see Monster Hunter and Bomberman being part of the base game.
New company with their character would likely be represented and we might see it being Rayman or Ryu Hayabusa or Tetromino.
As for the highly Japanese community supported characters I would assume Dante and Lloyd possibly could come in but I would guess DLC would be the most likely scenario.
I would also expect a retro rep Takamaru or Sukapon or Lip or Harry or Mach Rider or Foreman Spike i think at least one of them could receive the special surprise pick.
As for Isaac, Andy, Ayumi the possibilities are still there but not sure if by the time smash 6 happens Nintendo would want to promote their series.
1. Yeah, I hope so we get Octoling as Echo, since Splatoon is very popular franchise.

2. Maybe we get FE, but it should be Tiki since she doesn't have a sword.

3. Yeah, Totally Geno and Waluigi should get in smash 6.

4. Bomberman and Monster Hunter could be cool reps in Smash.

5. Definitely Dante should join the Roster, since people want him like Sora.

6. Retro Reps, well I think that ExciteBiker is the closest Retro Rep be in Smash due to being more requested than Mach Rider or Lip.

7. Possibly, since we could revive Dead IPs like Chibi-Robo.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hard to say, really, as nothing is 100% guaranteed. I guess Ring Fit and Astral Chain are notable as new IPs, though it's hard to tell if they'll develop into a proper series or fall by the wayside with time (granted, the latter didn't keep ARMS from eventually getting a rep). However, if Inkling and Villager* are any indication, a new Nintendo IP (or in Villager's case, a long-standing IP that just never had a playable up until that point) could be the headliner to cap off the new Smash game's announcement.

*And MAYBE Wario's WarioWare costume in Brawl. Though that's a big MAYBE, considering Wario was part of a collective of other reveals, which were immediately overshadowed by the actual major announcement of Snake (though, the same could also be said of Villager arguably being upstaged by Mega Man). At any rate, Brawl came about at a time where Smash still had yet to make major spectacles over each individual character reveal (with some of the roster still being unknown until after the game released), so it's easy to dismiss Brawl as simply being a different beast from the Smash4 and Ultimate announcement periods.

I have been forced to eat my hat before in assuming that Sakurai shouldn't listen to the parts of the fanbase who are only being the loudest voices. That said, Crash and Geno seem like possibilities, as well as Waluigi. Though speaking of Waluigi, I feel like a lot of people in this thread are sleeping on the fact that Assist Trophies are on the table again. Of them, Bomberman seems like one of those characters who simply missed the boat this time around (maybe because Konami was more dedicated to getting Castlevania in Smash? I dunno), and the eventual reveal of a Mii costume further gives me the impression that he was still on the Smash team's minds. This is just my speculation, but maybe they settled on that costume because there was no backing out of the fact that they already made him an Assist in the base game, thus he couldn't become DLC.

Look at it this way: if Sony keeps crapping on Japan, they'll eventually go broke. They go the way of Sega, and that frees up all their IPs to eventually appear on Nintendo systems (in fact, they already seem to be going that route now that they're porting their first-party games to PC).

I'm still hoping for Xenosaga. And given its connection to Monolith, it only seems the more relevant. Though, Namco also has many other major and classic IPs, particularly ones represented in Pac-Man's taunt (notable contenders being Taiko no Tatsujin, Katamari Damacy, Tower of Druaga, Dig-Dug, Valkyrie, and maybe Mappy).
Wait, are you saying there's a (admittedly rather small) chance I might eventually be able to play games like Ape Escape, Gravity Rush, and even Sly Cooper without having to buy a Playstation console?

Wait, are you saying there's a (admittedly rather small) chance I might eventually be able to play games like Ape Escape, Gravity Rush, and even Sly Cooper without having to buy a Playstation console?
Bro, if Master Chief is one of Most wanted characters in Smash since he XBOX exclusive character, then Kratos should be in Smash due to being Iconic game character.
Also, we need a Sony rep in Smash!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simnm

Smash Journeyman

I dunno since we already have two xenobalde characters and xenosaga isnt that relevant
I dont think that kos mos is particularly likely

I feel like the other characters arent as iconic or relevant as chosen undead or agumon or even jin or maybe a soul calibur rep

Dinoman96

Smash Master
My gut feeling is that the next Smash's lineup will be more like Smash 4, focusing on characters from newer contemporary Nintendo games, with a few guest fighters.

With the exception of Sakurai's wacky surprise fighters like Duck Hunt, I think the best bet for any older Nintendo characters is to remain being relevant by the time the next game hits. I suppose guys like Waluigi and Bandana Dee won't have that problem because they'll continue to have a guranteed existence but besides them, I don't see characters like Isaac happening until/unless they're given a proper revival. Like how Little Mac and Palutena got in Smash 4 because of Punch-Out!! 2009 and Kid Icarus Uprising.

:ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters::ultmegaman::ultpacman:

We should probably use this as a baseline for future Smash games. Instead of Wii/early 3DS games released around Spring 2012, just imagine characters from Switch/early insert Switch successor name here games.

And then the DLC will likely be a third party slam fest, along with more contemporary Nintendo characters that missed the boat for the base game and veterans if there are cuts.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It already seems like a possibility - games like God Of War and Uncharted are being released on Steam, so other Sony titles could potentially show up there as well.

Last edited:
My gut feeling is that the next Smash's lineup will be more like Smash 4, focusing on characters from newer contemporary Nintendo games, with a few guest fighters.

With the exception of Sakurai's wacky surprise fighters like Duck Hunt, I think the best bet for any older Nintendo characters is to remain being relevant by the time the next game hits. I suppose guys like Waluigi and Bandana Dee won't have that problem because they'll continue to have a guranteed existence but besides them, I don't see characters like Isaac happening until/unless they're given a proper revival. Like how Little Mac and Palutena got in Smash 4 because of Punch-Out!! 2009 and Kid Icarus Uprising.

:ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters::ultmegaman::ultpacman:

We should probably use this as a baseline for future Smash games. Instead of Wii/early 3DS games released around Spring 2012, just imagine characters from Switch/early insert Switch successor name here games.

And then the DLC will likely be a third party slam fest, along with more contemporary Nintendo characters that missed the boat for the base game and veterans if there are cuts.
Yeah, that would be cool.
If we had suprise Pick, I'll go with Virtual Boy, since we never had a new hardware rep in game for so long (not counting Duck Hunt Duo).

Geno Boost

Smash Master

I kinda feel thats likely to be the case however I would say more echoes and the smash ballot high suggestion should be one of the focus as probably not all top 10 worldwide made it in yet

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I kinda feel thats likely to be the case however I would say more echoes and the smash ballot high suggestion should be one of the focus as probably not all top 10 worldwide made it in yet
I mean i dont think they are not gonna focus on the ballot too much since the ballot would have been almost a decade old once the new smash rolls around

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean i dont think they are not gonna focus on the ballot too much since the ballot would have been almost a decade old once the new smash rolls around
Yeah I'm pretty sure Sakurai has already stated that the ballot was just for Ultimate and he's not going to do another.

Which is why I think that unless they're miraculously revived in-between now and then, Ultimate marks the end of the road for most of these old Brawl era requests. I would of felt the same way with Banjo and K. Rool if they didn't make it into Ultimate.

I'm pretty sure all of the Top 10 of the ballot made it in, anyways. It was more than likely a combination of Banjo, Sora, K. Rool, Ridley and the cut veterans like Snake and Wolf.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm pretty sure Sakurai has already stated that the ballot was just for Ultimate and he's not going to do another.

Which is why I think that unless they're miraculously revived in-between now and then, Ultimate marks the end of the road for most of these old Brawl era requests. I would of felt the same way with Banjo and K. Rool if they didn't make it into Ultimate.

I'm pretty sure all of the Top 10 of the ballot made it in, anyways. It was more than likely a combination of Banjo, Sora, K. Rool, Ridley and the cut veterans like Snake and Wolf.
I wonder if this means that fan demand will be a nonfactor for a characters inclusion
Unless there are other ways to measure fan demand

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I wonder if this means that fan demand will be a nonfactor for a characters inclusion
Unless there are other ways to measure fan demand
Well, it's been stated that characters like Wolf, Sonic and Mega Man got in Brawl and Smash 4 because of fan demand. Cloud got in because there were also tons of requests for a Final Fantasy character in Smash and Cloud was the overall most popular pick, though it's unknown if the ballot had anything to do with that.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

i highly doubt all the top 10 worldwide made it in
i could see these character being in top 10 worldwide
:ultbayonetta::ultkrool::ultsora::ultwolf::ultridley::ultsnake::ulticeclimbers::ultbanjokazooie:
but however there are still probably few more left on the top 10 worldwide
i do remember the characters that were in high demand during the smash 4 era

Last edited:
:ultbayonetta::ultkrool::ultsora::ultsteve::ultwolf::ultridley::ultsnake::ulticeclimbers:
but however there are still probably few more left on the top 10 worldwide
i do remember the characters that were in high demand during the smash 4 era
Imagine if Smash Ultimate had fighter ballot.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
:ultbayonetta::ultkrool::ultsora::ultsteve::ultwolf::ultridley::ultsnake::ulticeclimbers:
Replace Steve with Banjo-Kazooie (Sakurai literally said they were right up there with Sora) and yeah, that was probably the Top 10 right there. Steve didn't really take off as a candidate until Minecraft on Wii U was announced, and that was way after the ballot ended.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yes, a new Smash Ballot would basically be a third party fiesta, with Waluigi making a guest appearance. I guess that's what happens when you went ahead and added the two most requested first party newcomers (K. Ridley) left at that point.

Last edited:
Oh, believe me. I actually would love to see Andross! I even made some moves in a moveset for him once!
Same.
Andross could be better Star Fox rep than Krystal, since he's not most annoyingly requested character, but less.
Since Sakurai or New Director could implement him due to being more important character in Star Fox lore.
Only real Gigachads want Andross as Playable.

Top Bottom