• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So what do you guys think about Pokemon Trainer's chances of returning?

They're a difficult character and it's technically three characters, but now that they work, they're super popular. They stand out as there's nothing like it on the roster. It's also worth noting that Pokemon Trainer is the main character of the Pokemon franchise.

So what do you think?

And please don't derail the conversation to talk about other potential trainers that just won't happen.
i think his odds of returning are good. apart from anything else he has got three of the most frequent pokemon in the franchise

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Halo and Doom. Why go to war? Why not both?
If two pink puffballs and... four? blue-haired swordsmen can coexist, why can't two green space marines?

I'm team Doom

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm just realizing now that Microsoft could currently do a Doom/Halo crossover game if they wanted to. The two possess somewhat different philosophies as FPS titles, but with enough creative thinking on the design, it might work.

Pupp135

Smash Lord

They're a difficult character and it's technically three characters, but now that they work, they're super popular. They stand out as there's nothing like it on the roster. It's also worth noting that Pokemon Trainer is the main character of the Pokemon franchise.

So what do you think?

And please don't derail the conversation to talk about other potential trainers that just won't happen.
Assuming that there are no more severe technical hurdles like the 3DS, I actually think that (s)he is a high priority character, given that Charizard is presumably a high priority character (I assume one of the three safest pokemon along with Pikachu and Lucario), and I feel like the developers would work on maintaining the gimmick first before resorting to solo Charizard like how Zelda and Sheik were always planned as a pair before the 3DS forced their split.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m hoping that with the Microsoft acquisition of Activision/Blizzard, they’re able to address all the internal issues the company has with the way they treat their employees and other things. Seeing Bobby Kotick leaving is a step in the right direction at least.

That being said, if they can manage to turn the place around, I would love a Blizzard character in Smash. I was a pretty big fan of WarCraft 3 and StarCraft as a teenager and I’ve always loved the characters and worlds of both games. Two of my most wanted characters for Smash are Illidan Stormrage and Sarah Kerrigan but pretty much anyone from either game would be awesome. I’ve always loved the character design in most Blizzard games. I’ve made full movesets and support threads for both Illidan and Kerrigan if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Diablo would be another fun choice. I haven’t played any game in that franchise besides Diablo 3 but I had a blast playing it with my brother and friend. I’m not terribly interested in Tracer because I don’t have that same personal connection to Overwatch but it does look fun. I wouldn’t be opposed to an Overwatch character but they would drive me to the same levels of hype.

As far as general Microsoft characters go, Illidan and Kerrigan are just behind the Battletoads and Fulgore but all are in my top 10 most wanted. As much as I loved WarCraft 3 and StarCraft, I have an even stronger connection to Battletoads and Killer Instinct. Being RARE properties, they also have much stronger ties to Nintendo’s own history compared to Blizzard’s games. I personally believe that RARE is more closely related to Nintendo than DOOM or Halo.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I’m hoping that with the Microsoft acquisition of Activision/Blizzard, they’re able to address all the internal issues the company has with the way they treat their employees and other things. Seeing Bobby Kotick leaving is a step in the right direction at least.

That being said, if they can manage to turn the place around, I would love a Blizzard character in Smash. I was a pretty big fan of WarCraft 3 and StarCraft as a teenager and I’ve always loved the characters and worlds of both games. Two of my most wanted characters for Smash are Illidan Stormrage and Sarah Kerrigan but pretty much anyone from either game would be awesome. I’ve always loved the character design in most Blizzard games. I’ve made full movesets and support threads for both Illidan and Kerrigan if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Diablo would be another fun choice. I haven’t played any game in that franchise besides Diablo 3 but I had a blast playing it with my brother and friend. I’m not terribly interested in Tracer because I don’t have that same personal connection to Overwatch but it does look fun. I wouldn’t be opposed to an Overwatch character but they would drive me to the same levels of hype.

As far as general Microsoft characters go, Illidan and Kerrigan are just behind the Battletoads and Fulgore but all are in my top 10 most wanted. As much as I loved WarCraft 3 and StarCraft, I have an even stronger connection to Battletoads and Killer Instinct. Being RARE properties, they also have much stronger ties to Nintendo’s own history compared to Blizzard’s games. I personally believe that RARE is more closely related to Nintendo than DOOM or Halo.
Duke of Dorks made a Diablo concept for Smash that sold me on the character, highly recommend giving it a watch.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Duke of Dorks made a Diablo concept for Smash that sold me on the character, highly recommend giving it a watch.
I’ve seen that one before a long time ago but I just watched it again as a refresher. That’s a very interesting moveset that would definitely make Diablo stand out and be a lot of fun to play. It captures the essence of the genre really well too. That’s something I tried to do with my Kerrigan moveset acting as the rep for the RTS genre. While I prefer Diablo’s design from 3, I’d be pretty hyped to see him in any form and I’d likely try to play him regularly with this moveset.

I don’t think Diablo is as impossible or far fetched an idea as the video suggests. They put Ganondorf’s outfit in Diablo 3 and we already have a devil assist trophy so I don’t think that would be much an issue.

1705585114546.jpeg

1705585013385.jpeg

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice
I think that a modern pick for the next smash bros would be the tarnished from elden ring.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think that a modern pick for the next smash bros would be the tarnished from elden ring.
I’ve never played Elden Ring or any of the Souls games because I’m not really that great at video games and they’re supposed to be insanely hard but I am surprised you don’t see more discussion of these in terms of Smash. I think something from one of these games could be fun. I do like the general tone and aesthetic of the games.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
As much as I want Smash to refocus on Nintendo, with Third Parties that match, 12 Million Copies in Two Weeks with close ties/is published internationally by Bandai Namco, you’re closest Third Party Partner by a long shot, along with MULTIPLE Characters that have a ton of potential for an interesting Moveset feels like a perfect combination for Elden Ring to get priority next game, albeit I am fully expecting it as DLC and not Base Games. The Critical Acclaim also helps out a lot too.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

So what do you think?

I'm pretty confident in Pokemon Trainer returning. Squirtle and Charizard are two of the largest pop culture icons on the roster, period, and Ivysaur... well, she represents the evolution mechanic and Bulbasaur is about as popular as the former two, with Ivysaur kind of vicariously representing Bulbasaur. A lot of people bring up the dev time of needing to remake all three Pokemon, but I don't really think it would be that labour-intensive. Ultimate already did a pretty excellent job at modernizing the Trainer, so the whole gang could appear with the exact same moves and animations as in a new entry and I don't think they would stand out much at all. It's kind of like how most of the Wii U/3DS newcomers were effectively copypasted from Wii U to Ultimate with minor functional changes at best.

In terms of Pokemon generally:
  • I think Mewtwo and Lucario are also pretty safe as far as returning vets go. The Pokemon Company views them as evergreen products and constantly gives them promotion, plus Mewtwo was a solid candidate for the most supported character during Smash for's base game speculation.
  • Inversely, Incineroar and Pichu seem to just be of too little priority to make the base roster, although the former definitely has a better shot than the latter.
  • Jigglypuff is a weird one. She's a very arbitrary choice when divorced from her pre-existing roles in Smash and it seems like she made into both Brawl and Smash for by the skin of her teeth, so it's not like she's invincible. On the other hand, she's become a massive series staple, a lot of people are passionate about making sure the original 12 are always present, and she seems relatively easy to develop. I'm leaning towards her inclusion, but I wouldn't be shocked if she was cut.
  • Greninja is the ultimate question mark to me. He's an incredibly popular Pokemon and he has a very unique moveset, but he's never quite found his footing among the Smash fanbase and 2020s Pokemon just doesn't seem as interested in promoting him as 2010s Pokemon. Losing the Ash-Greninja form in the mainline games feels like a particularly harsh blow. He's a real toss-up that can go either way.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As much as I want Smash to refocus on Nintendo, with Third Parties that match, 12 Million Copies in Two Weeks with close ties/is published internationally by Bandai Namco, you’re closest Third Party Partner by a long shot, along with MULTIPLE Characters that have a ton of potential for an interesting Moveset feels like a perfect combination for Elden Ring to get priority next game, albeit I am fully expecting it as DLC and not Base Games. The Critical Acclaim also helps out a lot too.
Yeah, I think that makes a lot of sense and would really bring something unique to Smash. My personal most wanted Bandai-Namco characters are Alphen/Shionne, Velvet Crowe, Nightmare, or Astaroth but I think I’d still enjoy an Elden Ring character despite having no experience with the game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I recognize the significance of Elden Ring but I think the Souls games would take precedent. I’m typically not the “muh Nintendo connection” guy anymore but it can’t hurt to recognize Dark Souls is actually on Switch. They’ve also just been around longer, are pretty much just as popular and are the foundation for this subgenre.

But yeah, I do think some FromSoft collaboration is being slept on. When contemplating the most important games from 2010 onward, Minecraft may be the first to mention but Dark Souls is truly not far behind, it was pretty revolutionary. I think we need to take some of these modern successes into account, since it’s pretty easy to fall into the trap of going for all long standing legacy characters. We got Steve and Joker, and I think they see it valuable to add characters like that. Particularly in a case where they’ve been around for a fraction of the time, but already have such an influence and reputation.

My choice was always Solaire over Chosen Undead, since it allows Smash to be just a bit goofier with it and work with more of a defined character. But truth be told, a stoic realistic knight character would stand out all the same. Remember when Artorias was being rumored too? Fun times.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As far as connection to Nintendo goes, I think it should be one factor in deciding who is chosen but a lack of Nintendo presence shouldn’t disqualify a character. Essentially, I see it as a bonus that can give some characters an edge rather than a barrier for those without it. I would personally prefer that connection to have a little stronger impact as a general rule but I’m also totally open to characters outside of that with little to no history with Nintendo. I still want Illidan from WarCraft despite the series never appearing on a Nintendo console.

About what?!

If it's about mistaking the post for a list. It's not a big deal dude.
Swamp Sensei, you know what happens when you post something that someone mistakes for a list? You just made the List!

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
swamp,i just want to ask you a quenstion if you want to follow me?,but i can assure im not begging you,if you don't want to follow me,that is OK.
Two things.

1. You are begging. Let's be honest here.
2. I haven't followed anyone in a long time. It's kind of a pointless feature.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As far as connection to Nintendo goes, I think it should be one factor in deciding who is chosen but a lack of Nintendo presence shouldn’t disqualify a character. Essentially, I see it as a bonus that can give some characters an edge rather than a barrier for those without it.
Sure, although that's just one of several reasons I would humor someone from Dark Souls over Elden Ring. Dark Souls has quickly become a legacy franchise whose role in gaming history has been well established. Elden Ring will not soon be forgotten, but it wouldn't be here without those games. I guess the best case you can make is for Elden Ring to be FromSoft's "FF7" and for that to be the definitive game of its genre, or the Joker to Souls' SMT, although to my understanding the Dark Souls games have comparable sales figures and are similarly acclaimed.

It's worth contemplating, but I think adding Chosen Undead or Solaire would achieve something similar to the Tarnished and just have a little more weight and buildup behind it than simply going for the new guy. I suppose content from either game may still be able to appear if they chose to represent one over the other though. Maybe this is me valuing longterm prestige a bit too much but I just think it'd almost be selling Dark Souls short to skip it outright. Those are the games that really got this whole movement in motion.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ah smashboards, always here when I need a good chuckle.

I was just asking you a question,i also wish i could be friends with you.
Hey brother welcome to the Forum. Couple tips, use private messaging feature of our forum for these types of requests please. Also when replying to a post using the reply button type your reply after the quote tag or it will nest your reply in the quote and cause confusion. If you're unsure how the Forum works check out our meet and greet section for commonly asked questions. Thanks and happy posting!

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I love Dark Souls more than most other games, it's the best single player experience I've had on Switch, but I wouldn't mind the Elden Ring dude getting in over the Dark Souls dude. Haven't played Elden Ring yet but they're basically the same character anyways, no? An undead knight who uses pyromancy and miracles in an also undead world.

Of course I'm more partial to Dark Souls since it's the one I've played.
Make Artorias a boss!

Last edited:

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice
Sure, although that's just one of several reasons I would humor someone from Dark Souls over Elden Ring. Dark Souls has quickly become a legacy franchise whose role in gaming history has been well established. Elden Ring will not soon be forgotten, but it wouldn't be here without those games. I guess the best case you can make is for Elden Ring to be FromSoft's "FF7" and for that to be the definitive game of its genre, or the Joker to Souls' SMT, although to my understanding the Dark Souls games have comparable sales figures and are similarly acclaimed.

It's worth contemplating, but I think adding Chosen Undead or Solaire would achieve something similar to the Tarnished and just have a little more weight and buildup behind it than simply going for the new guy. I suppose content from either game may still be able to appear if they chose to represent one over the other though. Maybe this is me valuing longterm prestige a bit too much but I just think it'd almost be selling Dark Souls short to skip it outright. Those are the games that really got this whole movement in motion.
Oh yeah, i forgot about chosen undead. I think that the next third party characters for smash 6 could be monster hunter, ryu hayabusa, sol badguy, arle nadja and chosen undead. Honorable metions to crash bandicoot, jonesy and lloyd Irving.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Two things.

1. You are begging. Let's be honest here.
2. I haven't followed anyone in a long time. It's kind of a pointless feature.
Nah man, I think you got it twisted. This guy is 16 from France, he may be using a translator. Or, a different idea of how the website works compared to whatever French forums he’s been to before.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I love Dark Souls like not many other games, it's the best single player experience I've had on Switch, but I wouldn't mind the Elden Ring dude getting in over the Dark Souls dude. Haven't played Elden Ring yet but they're basically the same character anyways, no? An undead knight who uses pyromancy and miracles in an also undead world.
I think the Tarnished is not undead, but a once banished warrior that has been beckoned to return by the Erdtree.

That said, besides the Tarnished, I think it's quite possible for Malenia to be playable, being one of the most immensely popular bosses. Also helps that compared to most of the other bosses who are almost always twice the size or more of the player character, Malenia is only slightly taller than the Tarnished, so her being close to the size of the taller characters in Smash wouldn't be off-putting.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The best way to become a friend on the forum is to join in the conversation. But these things take time. We barely know each other as of now. It's best to play it slow and see which users you mesh with. And that takes a fair bit of time.

EDIT: That was supposed to be quoting Clem.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Sometimes I wish I wasn’t so terrible at games so I could try some of these Souls games or Elden Ring that everyone keeps taking about lol. With my luck, I’d get about an hour in, get stuck, and stop playing.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
On the flip side I went on X and discovered... V tubing. Wow. Hahaha ah. This is making me very nostalgic for my gamefaqs days back in 01. But yeah this here is a message board and they've stayed pretty much the same since their peak in the 2000s.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
On the flip side I went on X and discovered... V tubing. Wow. Hahaha ah. This is making me very nostalgic for my gamefaqs days back in 01. But yeah this here is a message board and they've stayed pretty much the same since their peak in the 2000s.
I still use GameFAQs on occasion. I don’t really engage in any other social media besides that place and here. Sometimes I pop in Reddit just to read things but I’ve never posted anything there. I’m pretty out of touch when in comes to that kind of thing lol. This is the first I’ve ever heard of V tubing.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Nah, the Chosen Undead goes first if we’re talking reps from FromSoftware
It should be Sekiro. At least he knows how to climb up ledges!

I'm pretty confident in Pokemon Trainer returning.
I'd like to see them get separated into 3 separate Fighters, and Squirtle and Ivysaur get evolved up into Blastoise and Venusaur.

Blastoise has been getting so many cool animations in Pokemon games lately...

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I wish I wasn’t so terrible at games so I could try some of these Souls games or Elden Ring that everyone keeps taking about lol. With my luck, I’d get about an hour in, get stuck, and stop playing.
Depends on just how terrible you are. I feel like the difficulty of these games gets a little oversold sometimes. At least Dark Souls 1 is more old school than anything, sure you die a lot and memorization is a big part of the game, but aside from a couple of sections it's a pretty fair game. Once you know how to move around a place it's done. It's an adventure game but it can also have a sort of arcade-y feel, you repeat a section over and over until you master it. Like, dying isn't necessarily failure as much as it is a natural part of learning the game.
Plus it's something of an RPG, you can always grind your stats up of you're just desperate.
I'd say it's about as difficult as the first few hours in Breath of the Wild? Just for the whole game.

In my case, I never really learned how to parry and my build was apparently nonsense, yet I arrived to the finish line just fine. Or, well, mostly fine... I had to grind at one point. Couldn't manage to get past one boss.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This is the first I’ve ever heard of V tubing.
Dude it's insane these people buy "riggs" that motion capture you and real time animate their avatar as they navigate an actual 3d game space. They also stream let's plays and it's HUGE community and these folks get paid it's their side job and for some truly dedicated it's a living but like there's also massive fraud and massive begging lol I just follow the artwork cause some of it is quite beautiful. Artwork itself has transformed into amazing new territory with all this tech and it also has infused a strong dynamic of "purism" due to AI being seen as a crutch or cheating... fascinating stuff. I need to read up more on what the Smash artists' setup is like because obviously Smash some amazing visuals of its own.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I still use GameFAQs on occasion. I don’t really engage in any other social media besides that place and here. Sometimes I pop in Reddit just to read things but I’ve never posted anything there. I’m pretty out of touch when in comes to that kind of thing lol. This is the first I’ve ever heard of V tubing.
VTubing is essentially people streaming using a Virtual Avatar. The most notable being Kizuna Ai, Korone, and Mori Calliope. They are Virtual YouTubers and essentially Idols without the In-Person Appearances. Hope this helps. Also to keep this tangentially on topic, did you know that the Japanese Version of Sonic Frontiers had Free DLC that gave Sonic Korone Themed Stuff, including Sound Effects? No? Well here’s proof that’s a thing.
IMG_2726.jpeg

Yes, this is real, Korone even got an Official Sonic Outfit too.
IMG_2727.jpeg

Gengar84

Smash Hero
VTubing is essentially people streaming using a Virtual Avatar. The most notable being Kizuna Ai, Korone, and Mori Calliope. They are Virtual YouTubers and essentially Idols without the In-Person Appearances. Hope this helps. Also to keep this tangentially on topic, did you know that the Japanese Version of Sonic Frontiers had Free DLC that gave Sonic Korone Themed Stuff, including Sound Effects? No? Well here’s proof that’s a thing.
View attachment 383181
Yes, this is real, Korone even got an Official Sonic Outfit too.
View attachment 383182
Oh yeah I’m aware of that, just blanked on the name. So that’s basically what Arlo is. I think Iono from Pokemon might fit that as well. Nidothing from the Horizons anime too. My brother used to watch some anime shark girl that played games on YouTube on and off (I can’t remember her name off the top of my head).

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
this brings to mind the real future of Smash Bros. that nobody saw coming - the transition from platfighters into gacha titles that have increasingly bizarre crossovers

2030 smashboards will point and laugh at the "no fourth parties" "rule" as we eagerly await the addition of the newest booster pack, containing meta knight, a playable msx system, hideo kojima himself, the entire cast of cyborg 009, and shrek (due to his "high presence" on the smash ballot)

Last edited:
Top Bottom