• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t think it’s fair to judge a character based on the actions of a vocal minority of their fanbase. I do believe you that K. Rool fans have probably done some terrible things but the character doesn’t have anything to do with that. There can be toxic people in any fan base. I also believe that the large majority of the Smash fanbase and people in general are good deep down. The toxic just tend to get a lot of attention, whether that’s fanbases of certain characters or the whole scenario with the Smash competitive scene.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don’t think it’s fair to judge a character based on the actions of a vocal minority of their fanbase. I do believe you that K. Rool fans have probably done some terrible things but the character doesn’t have anything to do with that. There can be toxic people in any fan base. I also believe that the large majority of the Smash fanbase and people in general are good deep down. The toxic just tend to get a lot of attention, whether that’s fanbases of certain characters or the whole scenario with the Smash competitive scene.
Yeah, that was what I was kind of trying to say earlier about K. Rool fans, in terms of them being good people deep down. Still, even with the toxic minority, I can still imagine that there is a lot of bad stuff going on, even though I can't say that those toxic members are really bad, but still...

I do agree that it is not fair to judge a character on the actions of a part of any fanbase. Still, I think were talking of those parts of the fanbase more rather than the actual character, were we? (Maybe because of me, of course)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Man you’re acting like any of us was saying that. Did you even read the page through? That’s the whole ****ing point because K. Rool was a counterargument.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man you’re acting like any of us was saying that. Did you even read the page through?
Ah, good point. Despite what I said, reading the pages should have been done on Gengar's part.

I know this was not in response to me, but I did respond to Gengar84, so I thought I'd say something just in case if that is okay.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Let's face it, if Nintendo were to disqualify every character that had a fanbase where some members behaved like an asshole from being in Smash, literally every single character in the game would be cut and we would get no newcomers.

Except X from the iconic 1993 Super Nintendo classic Mega Man X. We're saints.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Let's face it, if Nintendo were to disqualify every character that had a fanbase where some members behaved like an asshole from being in Smash, literally every single character in the game would be cut.

Except X from the iconic 1993 Super Nintendo classic Mega Man X. We're saints.
O RLY? :troll:

But yeah, it is a good thing Nintendo does not do that with such characters.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
So to sum up the main points if this convo for anyone who doesn't have time to read through all that:
  • Statistically speaking, you probably want the same character in Smash as a terminally-online child and that's just something you have to accept
  • Sakurai thankfully has the common sense to not decide if he should include or exclude the character based on the angry child ranting on the internet

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of what we're talking about, a bit unrelated, but I also do not think it is fair to disqualify characters based on the staff members behind their games and their creators. I mean, I still want Earthworm Jim, despite his creator (I hope what I just said does not lead to havoc and us going nuts here). Also, Minecraft's creator was said to be bad (this was before the creator of said game sold the series to Microsoft), and Five Nights at Freddy's creator, too. I can safely say that just like fans, creators should not be listed as a means to disqualify characters as well.

Any statement to the contrary is Maverick talk and should not be listened to.
I was just kidding around, you know.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
There was some recent news of Sakurai announcing that he will not acknowledge or act on any requests for Bubsy the Bobcat.

Not for how any of the supporters have acted, but because they're actually unironic fans of Bubsy.
If I could upload pics from my phone, I have that ".....who are they?" reaction from Sakurai saved.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I was responding to Golden’s point about dropping support of K. Rool because of the actions of his fan base. I don’t know what you guys were all reading. I’ve been following just fine.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I was responding to Golden’s point about dropping support of K. Rool because of the actions of his fan base. I don’t know what you guys were all reading. I’ve been following just fine.
Ah, that's good. But yeah, not everyone is the same, and there has got to be a lot of good in many of them, the people who are K. Rool's fans, and any fanbase in particular.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Well if we can't get Arthur or Sparkster to fill that quota, there's always Wonder Boy:

I wanted to name Zero as a Sword User Scrimblo, but then I remember that he's on an anime trapped in a platformer. Oops

Edit: and now I look like a doofus for not mentioning Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Speaking of what we're talking about, a bit unrelated, but I also do not think it is fair to disqualify characters based on the staff members behind their games and their creators. I mean, I still want Earthworm Jim, despite his creator (I hope what I just said does not lead to havoc and us going nuts here). Also, Minecraft's creator was said to be bad (this was before the creator of said game sold the series to Microsoft), and Five Nights at Freddy's creator, too. I can safely say that just like fans, creators should not be listed as a means to disqualify characters as well.

I was just kidding around, you know.
As was I. X is definitely not an exception to this trend lol. Mega Man X is pretty popular on /v/, which basically guarantees some **** has been thrown over it.

There was some recent news of Sakurai announcing that he will not acknowledge or act on any requests for Bubsy the Bobcat.

Not for how any of the supporters have acted, but because they're actual unironic fans of Bubsy.
Knowing how deep Sakurai's gaming knowledge goes and the fact that Bubsy 1 did receive a pretty extensive Super Famicom localization, my guess is that he has at least a passing familiarity with Bubsy.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Knowing how deep Sakurai's gaming knowledge goes and the fact that Bubsy 1 did receive a pretty extensive Super Famicom localization, my guess is that he has at least a passing familiarity with Bubsy.
Super Smash Bros. Kerfuffle x Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind

What do you mean it's Bubsy 3D that's the reason why he still has any sort of ironic or unironic or post-ironic fanbase?

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Ashley vs. K. Rool feels like picking random characters from the speculation-sphere to pit against each other. Like that's just a one-of-the-other situation (unlike banjo v Steve, where at least an argument was put forth at the time as to why only one could get in during the game's lifespan. That assumption proved false but still) for the sake of it.

Remembers that the majority of that fighting was on The Imageboard That Shall Remain Nameless

Of course, those nimrods are famous for fighting for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ashley vs. K. Rool feels like picking random characters from the speculation-sphere to pit against each other.
Not as random as Chun Li vs. Springtrap. No seriously, that was a thing.

I think the context for Ashley vs. K. Rool was that one was confirmed to still be an AT in the same presentation the other was revealed as a fighter. As for the one I previously mentioned...uh....uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ashley vs. K. Rool feels like picking random characters from the speculation-sphere to pit against each other. Like that's just a one-of-the-other situation (unlike banjo v Steve, where at least an argument was put forth at the time as to why only one could get in during the game's lifespan. That assumption proved false but still) for the sake of it.

Remembers that the majority of that fighting was on The Imageboard That Shall Remain Nameless

Of course, those nimrods are famous for fighting for the sake of it.
Ashley’s AT reveal and K. Rool being confirmed happened on the same stream. You underestimate how fast the internet can act within a span of thirty minutes.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
But the argument has never been Nintendo wouldn't be able to get Geno if they wanted him. Not from me, at least. If they want him, I assume they could probable get him.

It's the complicated, somewhat questionable business choice behind choosing him over others. It's whether they would want him, over other options.
I guess we pretty much agree, then. I don't get how the other Square characters factor in this decision, though. If anything, when choosing between fan requested characters, Geno's "competition" were more Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Simon and the likes. And for these characters, relevance and wether or not their company owns more mainstream stuff don't seem to have ever been much of a consideration, so I can't see why that would be the case for Geno.

But yeah I think he has a chance now, mostly because most of the historically requested characters who are also more generally popular are already in, and then of course there's the remake.
People rarely bring this up in relation to Geno, but in Europe he was only known to the hardcorest of hardcore gamers, since the original Mario RPG never released there. You had to be into emulators, to have purchased the game on the Virtual Console many years after the fact, or to be deep into Smash speculation to even know who he was. That alone automatically put him behind a ton of other characters imo, and it's something the Mario RPG remake has fixed.
Will it be enough? Who knows...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No, a hybrid of her own moves and Peach's. The gimmick being the Crown appears in matches Toadette is present and if she gets it, she becomes Peachette while someone else grabbing it just makes it disappear and she has to wait until it spawns again.
That just sounds like a transformation mechanic with extra steps. You took an already bad mechanic and made it worse.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Not as random as Chun Li vs. Springtrap. No seriously, that was a thing.
All I ever saw of that was some anon Chun-Li fan on /v/ trying to pass off the "rivarly" as the "next Banjo vs. Steve" in spite of no common ground whatsoever. Was there really anything more than just that one overzealous anon?

.....would be #TeamSpringtrap though even if was impossible

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I’m playing through Skyrim for the millionth time. I’m really just watching YouTube and living it vicariously

Why do I want the Dragonborn in Smash more than Doom Slayer right now? :4pacman:

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You know, I think the fans being negative, toxic and picking on other fanbases is not a thing that will be changed anytime soon, nor will it change easily. I think some people have not learned good manners and how to interact with each other well enough, or sadly do not wish to apply such good behaviors online, among other things, and that leads to bad discussion I know it might be human nature, but I think this can be human nature upped by 500 times more.

Whatever the case is, there are people who could have improved and not be negative and mean, even though they did not in the end.

Ivander

Smash Legend
All I ever saw of that was some anon Chun-Li fan on /v/ trying to pass off the "rivarly" as the "next Banjo vs. Steve" in spite of no common ground whatsoever. Was there really anything more than just that one overzealous anon?
Still quite amazing where that wild ride went throughout the span of 4 years. From no Banjo & Steve to Banjo beating Steve(with the help of Dragon Quest's Hero) to the punch to Banjo and Steve are in Smash Bros. together.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
And now since the topic of Springtrap came up and I mentioned Nemesis earlier, it's time for another one of Golden's ramblings no one asked for. :V

-clear throat-

I strongly believe that the best way to represent a horror series is to feature the killer or the monster or what have you whenever possible and plausible. You know, the actual horror element.

Think of it this way. If you were to be representing Nightmare on Elm Street, would you opt for anyone but Freddy Krueger?
If you were representing Halloween, would you pick anyone but Michael Meyers?
If Friday the 13th, Jason Voorhees, or any of his victims?
Even if Ripley was available as an option, would you not go for the Xenomorph for Alien?

Even in a gaming sense, who else would you realistically pick for Silent Hill other than Pyramid Head?
Would you really try to have Mike Schmidt instead of the titular Freddy or Springtrap if representing Five Nights at Freddy's?

This is why for example, the likes of Nemesis or Wesker are far more appealing to me for Resident Evil than Chris, Leon, Jill, etc.
Sure they could work, but when the alternative is a tall freak of nature with a rocket launcher and tentacles or a mutant Agent Smith, they just aren't as inspiring.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
And now since the topic of Springtrap came up and I mentioned Nemesis earlier, it's time for another one of Golden's ramblings no one asked for. :V

-clear throat-

I strongly believe that the best way to represent a horror series is to feature the killer or the monster or what have you whenever possible and plausible. You know, the actual horror element.

Think of it this way. If you were to be representing Nightmare on Elm Street, would you opt for anyone but Freddy Krueger?
If you were representing Halloween, would you pick anyone but Michael Meyers?
If Friday the 13th, Jason Voorhees, or any of his victims?
Even if Ripley was available as an option, would you not go for the Xenomorph for Alien?

Even in a gaming sense, who else would you realistically pick for Silent Hill other than Pyramid Head?
Would you really try to have Mike Schmidt instead of the titular Freddy or Springtrap if representing Five Nights at Freddy's?

This is why for example, the likes of Nemesis or Wesker are far more appealing to me for Resident Evil than Chris, Leon, Jill, etc.
Sure they could work, but when the alternative is a tall freak of nature with a rocket launcher and tentacles or a mutant Agent Smith, they just aren't as inspiring.
If you don't mind me asking, how would you approach stuff like Eternal Darkness, Geist, and Fatal Frame?

For the record, I know Geist is in the same boat as stuff like StarTropics and Gumshoe and thus has a snowball's chance in heck of ever getting into Smash Bros. in any meaningful way, but I'd still like to know, if you don't mind.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it was meant to be a parody of Banjo vs. Steve at best. It doesn't work when Scott Cawthon doesn't work for Capcom.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
If you don't mind me asking, how would you approach stuff like Eternal Darkness, Geist, and Fatal Frame?

For the record, I know Geist is in the same boat as stuff like StarTropics and Gumshoe and thus has a snowball's chance in heck of ever getting into Smash Bros. in any meaningful way, but I'd still like to know, if you don't mind.
That's why I said whenever possible and plausible. Not everything can "work".

Though using Geist as an example since I played a bit of it, you ARE the horror element there as an inversion.

Can't speak for Fatal Frame or Eternal Darkness but I assume there isn't that much viable to work with in that regard except maybe that Augustus Pious guy from the latter if I got that name right.
In which case the protagonists that have to REACT to the horror would have to be by default.

I think it was meant to be a parody of Banjo vs. Steve at best. It doesn't work when Scott Cawthon doesn't work for Capcom.
Yeah, I get that, but what I'm wanting to know is if it was a thing outside that one /v/ anon, and if so, where did it come from.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Speaking of Horror Characters

I've been playing through the Remedyverse (Alan Wake, Control, Alan Wake II) and I think these games have some great options for a Platform fighter

Bright Falls and The Oldest House could be some really fun stages, Alan Wake could be an assist in the same vein as Yuri Kozukata. and Jesse Faden could be a really fun character to play as.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Still quite amazing where that wild ride went throughout the span of 4 years. From no Banjo & Steve to Banjo beating Steve(with the help of Dragon Quest's Hero) to the punch to Banjo and Steve are in Smash Bros. together.
And now, thankfully, the Microsoft wars are over...

Top Bottom