• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think Crash has the same issues as other Activision/Blizzard characters if they want to try to distance from the company’s internal issues. Master Chief has the aforementioned complete lack of presence on Nintendo hardware besides a skin in Minecraft. Killer Instinct isn’t as big as Mortal Kombat but it at least doesn’t have the potential issue with the franchise’s history of gore and resulting lack of presence in Japan. DOOM has a similar gore hurdle to Mortal Kombat to a lesser extent. There’s also Battletoads which could represent a new genre to Smash in Beat em Ups. The toads would probably fall more towards a surprise retro slot than a huge big name addition but I don’t think they’re impossible in that scenario. Not likely by any means, but not impossible.

Again, I think I agree that the big three are probably still the most likely but each have their own hurdles potentially holding them back that I don’t think any are really shoo ins. I think it’s good to keep an open mind and not focus too narrowly on just a few possibilities while discounting other options.
Funny thing is Killer Instinct has had something similar to Fatalities, though much less dark. Albeit, they're not much different from the original's trilogy's, just slightly less gruesome. That said, it also wasn't released everywhere worldwide either. MK has a minor presence in Japan at best. KI has less due to not being sold there as is. Ironic, isn't it?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He was before he got stuck with a vacuum, clearly.
Okay but how?

You brought up SMB2/USA, but how is he any cooler than Mario there? The whole group has zero characterization in that game (I love it though.) He just has slightly different gameplay which someone may or may not prefer. I for one don't like the slippery physics he has.

. I actually have no idea how to respond to the second sentence you wrote regarding Wario. But Wario's overall get up in Wario Ware is atrocious.
Wario's design isn't related to the narrative. Thankfully Smash let's the player choose which one they prefer (I like them both about evenly, though the biker version has better alts).

You all just lack actual critical thinking skills of some caliber, honestly. And cater to the devs confusing way of belief.
I don't think that's the issue. I don't even think your opinion is the issue. I think your opinion was just explained very poorly. They way you described your issue baffled the entire thread.
It's comparable to misreading a letter due to handwriting. You can't fail a student on a test if the instructions were unclear.

Try explaining your viewpoint one more time. Consider rephrasing it. Even if the rest of the thread doesn't listen, I will.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
While we're briefly talking Wario designs, is it weird that I'd kinda like if they added his cowboy hat look from Mario Golf Super Rush for the standard Wario and Move It's new vacation style Wario for the biker outfit?

Man's been all over the new outfits lately.

UserKev

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post.
Yeah. There's a clear difference when you distinguish Wario Land Wario.
1701481710640.png

1701481744647.png

1701481823681.png

WarioWare Wario
1701481945804.png

1701482035803.png

1701482463036.png

Yeah. There's a clear difference. Wario Ware is no way classic Wario. Your all just honestly really dumb. I'm not wasting my time on this debate anymore.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
View attachment 381210
View attachment 381211
View attachment 381213

WarioWare Wario
View attachment 381215
View attachment 381216
View attachment 381223
Yeah. There's a clear difference. Wario Ware is no way classic Wario. Your all just honestly really dumb. I'm not wasting my time on this debate anymore.
Okay but you didn't even say anything about his design until JUST NOW. All you had said before this point was that WarioWare made Wario too narrative-centric. So there was never really a debate about that, just mentions that WarioWare is not narrative-centric.

You can't just call people dumb when your point is completely different from what you said.

Like are you saying that Wario controls the plot too much in WarioWare? Are you saying that Classic Wario is better despite both characters being pretty identical in personality? Are you just talking about his outfits? The art style? There's a lot of different directions here, and narrative-centric when talking about a game series will usually make people analyze the plots.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
View attachment 381210
View attachment 381211
View attachment 381213

WarioWare Wario
View attachment 381215
View attachment 381216
View attachment 381223
You have switched to a new argument though. I'm honestly not trying to be snarky anymore. I'm trying to understand.

The initial statements were about narrative. Now we're talking about design. Are we talking about implied narrative? Are we talking characterization? You could have a point here, but you aren't explaining what you mean.

So indulge us idiots. Tell it to us like we can barely read a coloring book. Are we talking about narrative, or design?

Ivander

Smash Legend
While we're briefly talking Wario designs, is it weird that I'd kinda like if they added his cowboy hat look from Mario Golf Super Rush for the standard Wario and Move It's new vacation style Wario for the biker outfit?

More alternate outfits in general for Smash would be nice.

Laniv

Smash Champion

You know, considering that the human ladies in Mario Kart get new outfits for riding a motorbike, I'm surprised they never tried to let Wario wear (haha) his own biker outfit once. Not even as an alt in Mario Kart Tour?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just thought I’d throw my two cents in here. I personally preferred the characterizations of the Super Mario Bros. cast from the Super Mario Bros. Super Show cartoon than what we’ve seen since in the games. There’s nothing wrong with their current portrayals but I think their cartoon versions were great. It’s true the characters didn’t have much personality in the early video games but their cartoon counterparts had a ton of personality. When UserKev refers to Mama Luigi, he’s talking about his cartoon incarnation, in particular from the Super Mario World cartoon. Luigi was awesome in the cartoon and the games seems to exaggerate his cowardly personality and overall weirdness, particularly in Smash.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Real quick before I go to bed: the closest I can think of to WarioWare being "narratively-driven" is that roughly every game introduces a new member of the gang, some of whom had appeared in an earlier title prior to officially joining (i.e. 5-Volt and Lulu). That's... the closest I could get.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I remember when Warioware lore and narrative became as complex as MGS after a few titles. Gold referencing the "Wah, Jimmy, do you think gold can bloom on the battlefield?" was such a highlight for that game.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I remember when Warioware lore and narrative became as complex as MGS after a few titles. Gold referencing the "Wah, Jimmy, do you think gold can bloom on the battlefield?" was such a highlight for that game.
Wait till those people hear about Donkey Kong's Genealogy Hierarchy, and the long-standing quarrel of what's Donkey Kong Jr. TRUE family status.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
"Wario has changed.

It's no longer about treasure hunting, shoulder bashing or throwing enemies. It's an endless series of party games played by fake fans.

Wario-- and his consumption of garlic-- has become a mini game machine.

Wario has changed.

WarioWare fans carry WarioWare joycons, use WarioWare gear. Microgames inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities.

Gameplay control, narrative control, art direction control... everything is monitored and kept under control.

Wario has changed.

The age of Wario Land has become the age of WarioWare, all in the name of ruining the character and franchise.

Wario has changed.

When Wario is under total control, Ware becomes routine."

- UserKev as :ultsnake:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
And on the Bandai side of Bandainamco there's Digimon, .Hack and SRWOG.

Which unfortunately don't overlap with the companies other properties that often.
Out of curiosity, where does Tamagotchi and Taiko no Tastujin fall under (in regards to Mametchi and Don)?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
"Wario has changed.

It's no longer about treasure hunting, shoulder bashing or throwing enemies. It's an endless series of party games played by fake fans.

Wario-- and his consumption of garlic-- has become a mini game machine.

Wario has changed.

WarioWare fans carry WarioWare joycons, use WarioWare gear. Microgames inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities.

Gameplay control, narrative control, art direction control... everything is monitored and kept under control.

Wario has changed.

The age of Wario Land has become the age of WarioWare, all in the name of ruining the character and franchise.

Wario has changed.

When Wario is under total control, Ware becomes routine."

- UserKev as :ultsnake:
Isn't their a microgame where Wario does use the shoulder bash.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
View attachment 381210
View attachment 381211
View attachment 381213

WarioWare Wario
View attachment 381215
View attachment 381216
View attachment 381223
Aka you have no real argument or point and instead of putting to construct one, why just project your failure on us? Much easier that way.

Like seriously, what is the point here? These are similar expressions between both especially the last 3 for both.

I just thought I’d throw my two cents in here. I personally preferred the characterizations of the Super Mario Bros. cast from the Super Mario Bros. Super Show cartoon than what we’ve seen since in the games. There’s nothing wrong with their current portrayals but I think their cartoon versions were great. It’s true the characters didn’t have much personality in the early video games but their cartoon counterparts had a ton of personality. When UserKev refers to Mama Luigi, he’s talking about his cartoon incarnation, in particular from the Super Mario World cartoon. Luigi was awesome in the cartoon and the games seems to exaggerate his cowardly personality and overall weirdness, particularly in Smash.

Yeah but the point is these interpretations were never who the characters actually were. This was just American localization filling the blank due to the limited information at time.

If you prefer said intepretations, fine but just the leave that and not falsely construct it as something bigger with misinformation saying the Devs of games misunderstood the characters that they created just because the traits given didn't line up with some unofficial cartoon.

And blaming Smash Bros for portraying Luigi who he actually instead of said intepretation frankly, pretty stupid. Even in the earlier titles, this "cooler" Mario was just myth.

Last edited:

SS2000

Smash Apprentice

Imagines a world where Wapeach is made playable in Smash Bros. before Waluigi

Every time I see a scrapped Mario character concept, I can't help but feel a bit like I've been robbed (a testament to the endless fun and crativity of the series). lol It was quite unexpected and fun to see the character concept out of the blue after so many years of speculation about it. Maybe Wapeach could be a concept that gets used again in the future. (I'd personally find things like that to be more interesting than things like Pink Gold Peach and more baby variants. lol)

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering what the general consensus is here about what you want/expect from Smash 6 roster-wise?

The main scenarios I see discussed are:

1. Add on to Ultimate with tweeks.
2. Keep majority of the roster, but make cuts similar to Brawl/4.
3. Full reboot with lots of cuts, and more of a focus on mechanics/modes.
4. Something I haven't considered?

For me it's:

Want: Add on to Ultimate
Expect: Brawl/4 style sequel

I think Sakurai is going to shrink the roster like he said, but I also think he'll want to make as few cuts as possible. I'm really anxious for the future regardless...
I would personally expect a roster that retains around 40-50 of Ultimate’s cast, with room for new characters that aren’t pipe dream picks like Ultimate was. And more leaning towards modern and timeless characters instead of classic retro icons.
Even Smash 64 characters won’t be safe from cuts.

My veteran roster would look like this.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultolimar:
:ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultinkling::ultshulk:(:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:)
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultrobin::ultbyleth::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultfox::ultpit::ultrob:
:ultgnw::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ulthero::ultkazuya:
(And Miis too)

I would also expect around 9 newcomers, bringing this roster to 55 characters (+Random too).

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
The difference is that all of these are developed internally at Nintendo and Kirby is not. Not that "second-party" characters couldn't ever make it, but it's a bit of a different situation
The first party Nintendo series you’d be ideally looking at would be Pikmin, Metroid, and Xenoblade.

Monolithsoft & Retro Studios are owned fully by Nintendo, and Pikmin is developed internally anyway.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Aka you have no real argument or point and instead of putting to construct one, why just project your failure on us? Much easier that way.

Like seriously, what is the point here? These are similar expressions between both especially the last 3 for both.

Yeah but the point is these interpretations were never who the characters actually were. This was just American localization filling the blank due to the limited information at time.

If you prefer said intepretations, fine but just the leave that and not falsely construct it as something bigger with misinformation saying the Devs of games misunderstood the characters that they created just because the traits given didn't line up with some unofficial cartoon.

And blaming Smash Bros for portraying Luigi who he actually instead of said intepretation frankly, pretty stupid. Even in the earlier titles, this "cooler" Mario was just myth.
I’m not really blaming Smash on anything. Like I said, I don’t really have a problem with any Mario character’s current portrayal, I just personally prefer their cartoon personalities. Luigi definitely does act more weird in Smash than he does in other games though with his odd taunts and mannerisms. Not that it’s necessarily a bad thing, just weird. I was mostly trying to clarify what UserKev was talking about when he was referring to Mama Luigi and his personality before Luigi’s Mansion.

FazDude

Smash Master
I feel like a lot of detractors of Wario's portrayal in WarioWare/Smash base their belief off the idea that Wario's always been 100% macho... which isn't really the case when you look at how Japan-specific material plays it up. Even pre-Ware, Wario's been seen picking his nose a lot more than even I expected.

I think this stems from WarioWare not showing Wario in-action nearly as much as the Land series or Mario spinoffs - The gross elements are more pronounced since Wario isn't getting into as many situations where he can show his "macho" traits. I get not liking this approach in terms of both Ware and Smash, but saying WarioWare Wario is an entirely different character than Wario Land Wario is a bit of an exaggeration.

As for Luigi, I don't get how the Poltergust is really hampering his character. Sure, he uses it for a grab and Final Smash in the Smash games, as well as a few times in spinoff material, but it's not really as defining to his character. Heck, he's been portrayed as cowardly pre-Mansion in things like the Super Show (which isn't canon, I'm aware, but as long as we're citing Mama Luigi...), so I don't see how him getting a relatively scarcely used weapon changes anything, and I don't really get how he was the "cooler" Mario at any point.

I really like Ivander's interpretation of the movie's take on Luigi:
when he's with Mario, he becomes alot more confident, but when Mario's not around, he becomes more worried.
This is something I feel is a concept that can be applied to Luigi across the whole series.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Out of curiosity, where does Tamagotchi and Taiko no Tastujin fall under (in regards to Mametchi and Don)?
Tamagotchi and Digimon are both virtual pet toys which Sakurai counts as videogames.

I thought Taiko was Namco, not bandai, i think Don would make a neat assist trophy.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I would personally expect a roster that retains around 40-50 of Ultimate’s cast, with room for new characters that aren’t pipe dream picks like Ultimate was. And more leaning towards modern and timeless characters instead of classic retro icons.
Even Smash 64 characters won’t be safe from cuts.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultolimar:
:ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultinkling::ultshulk:(:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:)
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultrobin::ultbyleth::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultfox::ultpit::ultrob:
:ultgnw::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ulthero::ultkazuya:
(And Miis too)

I would also expect around 9 newcomers, bringing this roster to 55 characters (+Random too).
I'm surprised you didn't keep Captain Falcon or Ness, especially considering how popular they are among Smash fans (and especially outside of Smash in Ness's case.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like a lot of detractors of Wario's portrayal in WarioWare/Smash base their belief off the idea that Wario's always been 100% macho... which isn't really the case when you look at how Japan-specific material plays it up. Even pre-Ware, Wario's been seen picking his nose a lot more than even I expected.

I think this stems from WarioWare not showing Wario in-action nearly as much as the Land series or Mario spinoffs - The gross elements are more pronounced since Wario isn't getting into as many situations where he can show his "macho" traits. I get not liking this approach in terms of both Ware and Smash, but saying WarioWare Wario is an entirely different character than Wario Land Wario is a bit of an exaggeration.

As for Luigi, I don't get how the Poltergust is really hampering his character. Sure, he uses it for a grab and Final Smash in the Smash games, as well as a few times in spinoff material, but it's not really as defining to his character. Heck, he's been portrayed as cowardly pre-Mansion in things like the Super Show (which isn't canon, I'm aware, but as long as we're citing Mama Luigi...), so I don't see how him getting a relatively scarcely used weapon changes anything, and I don't really get how he was the "cooler" Mario at any point.

I really like Ivander's interpretation of the movie's take on Luigi:

This is something I feel is a concept that can be applied to Luigi across the whole series.
wario was macho?

Tamagotchi and Digimon are both virtual pet toys which Sakurai counts as videogames.
has that been confirmed?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm surprised you didn't keep Captain Falcon or Ness, especially considering how popular they are among Smash fans (and especially outside of Smash in Ness's case.)
What is Ness doing to be so popular? :073: I’m not disagreeing, I think he should be kept in the games roster, but I don’t really remember people being hype for Ness instead of EarthBound or Mother as a series. If Mother 3 did end up releasing in the West, people would probably like Lucas a lot more because he has character development.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What is Ness doing to be so popular? :073: I’m not disagreeing, I think he should be kept in the games roster, but I don’t really remember people being hype for Ness instead of EarthBound or Mother as a series. If Mother 3 did end up releasing in the West, people would probably like Lucas a lot more because he has character development.
It was because of Smash itself that Ness became popular. He was essentially for most people the main gateway to Earthbound when he was first added in Smash 64, with him being the game's most shocking inclusion. Him being the hardest fighter to unlock in Smash 64 also helped in this regard. It's because of him being in Smash that Earthbound even became what it is today, a cult classic RPG that sold like hotcakes on the Wii U VC and was one of the front and center games for the SNES Mini.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Imagines a world where Wapeach is made playable in Smash Bros. before Waluigi

Every time I see a scrapped Mario character concept, I can't help but feel a bit like I've been robbed (a testament to the endless fun and crativity of the series). lol It was quite unexpected and fun to see the character concept out of the blue after so many years of speculation about it. Maybe Wapeach could be a concept that gets used again in the future. (I'd personally find things like that to be more interesting than things like Pink Gold Peach and more baby variants. lol)
While the concept and details regarding WaPeach is certainly a more interesting concept than simply being Peach mixed with Doronjo(although ironically, she's somewhat similar to Devilotte, who was also inspired by Doronjo), I still think getting in characters from Wario's games into the main/spin-off games should be the higher priority. The characters from them are very underrated and I'd be sad if they still got ignored.
But it is rather funny how the most popular scrapped content from Mario involve Peach in some capacity. looks at a certain Koopa princess who was almost a reality in Mario Odyssey That aside, I'm certainly okay with WaPeach if they stick to the young bratty princess with a scary side that isn't quite taken seriously by the main cast concept. It is a concept that works in both Mario and in Wario Land & Wario Ware.

Edit: Actually, if there's something very ironic about WaPeach's reveal, it's that before, the only character of reference we had for what her design could've been like was thinking Doronjo-like, and when WaPeach was revealed, she doesn't look much like the Doronjo people think about and is actually much younger. Years after WaPeach's concept design, Tatsunoko would make an anime that revolves around a much younger Doronjo and gang. It's actually hilarious how the Doronjo comparison unknowingly went full circle.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
(And Miis too)
I'm surprised about the lack of Falcon and Ness (and Puff, now that I'm looking a bit closer), but as someone's already gone over that, I'll bring up another thing I'm curious about. Why go for Roy over Ike? I would think Marth/Ike/Robin/Byleth would be a pretty well-rounded FE cast with all pretty different movesets to work with, plus Ike is just generally really popular within FE itself.

No shade, I have nothing against Roy, just curious mainly.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In respect to the existing roster though, back to the western third parties conversation, how does everyone feel about Microsoft's situation for next game? Will both Banjo and Steve return, do you think Microsoft will cooperate for base game?

Personally I think :ultbanjokazooie: is an extremely easy get and obvious crowd-pleaser. Not one of the more technically complex characters either so can't be that hard to develop, one of the top picks from the ballot, Microsoft has been eager to toss Rare content at Nintendo for NSO instead of just reselling it themselves. I went on a tangent about that last point the other day but I think it's emblematic of how productive this relationship has been. Relevance aside I really don't think this is a character we will lose if they can help it.

As for :ultsteve:, I think it's valuable to have a more contemporary third party mainstay to counteract the more classic feel of many of the others. Minecraft is also one of those series big enough for children playing Smash for the first time to immediately identify and gravitate toward. The potential complications are a higher price tag and the sheer complexity of Steve's development, but he may just be a character worth the struggle. So I have a hard time justifying cutting Steve all the same, and accommodations can be made to make the work flow easier - as incredible as it is, programming unique materials to every stage is a bit superfluous for example.

So personally, similarly to how I feel about :ultmegaman::ultryu:, I think Banjo and Steve are kind of the perfect dichotomy. One to please nostalgic fans and to celebrate Nintendo history, and another who is more widely relevant and profitable for the company in question. In Steve's case, counteracting a skewed appeal toward older gamers with a strong appeal toward new ones. Personally, I believe both of these roles are valuable and I believe Sakurai and Nintendo agree. The biggest catch I forsee with Microsoft is just a Square Enix scenario of upselling them with DLC later, which is fair and they've got plenty more to work with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom