• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
There's some countdown thing on noa about amiibos and smash it prolly been discussed but I stopped paying attention:p

So imagine at some level Geno is to thing (Mario franchise or se franchise or just whatever) as Lucas is to Mother.

Huh? Well not precisely obv but by means of obscurity in the "West." Maybe... No?

At any rate IF we're to suspend this argument and just say "okay why bring it up?" Well, because Lucas isn't exactly hated, one but to my knowledge barely got in so Geno as much as I think he should be playable by now (along with Waluigi) and he's not maybe he's in what Lucas' boat could have been but missed the boat entirely and just hasn't been revisited until maybe now since the remake coming?

Ivander

Smash Legend
It seems like more and more Smash fans are finally recognizing Lyn's popularity within the FE fandom. Love to see it.
Really? Though then again, I don't look much at what fans from outside this site talk about and while Lyn's popularity is acknowledged here, I don't see her mentioned a whole lot, especially with Alear or a new FE game often taking most of the speculation.

Or did a bunch of big Smash Youtubers mention her and made a mention of her popularity within the FE fandom?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Really? Though then again, I don't look much at what fans from outside this site talk about and while Lyn's popularity is acknowledged here, I don't see her mentioned a whole lot, especially with Alear or a new FE game often taking most of the speculation.

Or did a bunch of big Smash Youtubers mention her and made a mention of her popularity within the FE fandom?
I mean, she's still very underrecognized in the Smash fandom relative to her status in the FE fandom. But around here I do see her getting mentioned more than previously; again still not commensurate with her actual FE fandom popularity but more than previously is all.

Noipoi

Howdy!
At this time of 1 AM (EST) where I'm still awake even though I have school and work this week, I propose to thee a question.

We all know that characters from both the Pokemon and Fire Emblem series are chosen based on promoting the newest games in their respective franchises. Whether you like it or not, we all know this to be true. But what if that wasn't the case?

The next Smash is picking only one (1) character from both franchise based on factors like legacy, popularity, fan-demand, and series prominence. Who do you think they'd be?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
At this time of 1 AM (EST) where I'm still awake even though I have school and work this week, I propose to thee a question.

We all know that characters from both the Pokemon and Fire Emblem series are chosen based on promoting the newest games in their respective franchises. Whether you like it or not, we all know this to be true. But what if that wasn't the case?

The next Smash is picking only one (1) character from both franchise based on factors like legacy, popularity, fan-demand, and series prominence. Who do you think they'd be?
Blaziken and Lyn.

Lyn is self explanitory and Blaziken is a really popular Pokemon from an underrepresented era of the brand in smash.

Plus you could very easily build Blaziken off of Captain Falcon's moveset.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Chrom. :cool: He already fits all these criteria, including being chosen over the newest game, due to Fire Emblem Echoes: Valentia being out in 2016 when Chrom got in Ultimate.

Pokemon is trickier because of the shifting flag poles, especially on legacy and prominence. I think Mimikyu is pretty close though.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Locking certain franchises to adverchar newcomers only is an absolute trash move. Especially ones like FE and PKMN with evergreen options that are always popular and marketable.

For FE my choice is obviously Lyn. For PKMN it is hard to choose just one since there are multiple candidates I view as similarly qualified. So somewhat arbitrarily I will mention Garchomp because he hasn't been brought up here recently.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Eevee.

If Pokemon isn't getting a character from a new generation, it will be Eevee.

Gengar and Gardevoir are close, but Eevee towers over everyone that isn't Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Bulbasaur and Squirtle.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Eevee is indeed a giant, especially if you pool the popularities of all its evolutions. Gengar feels stronger than ever. Gardevoir, yeah, also feels stronger than ever.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Granted, I don't think Eevee can actually work well as a fighter. I believe Sakurai could make a moveset for it, but would it be worth the hassle? He may just choose something else that's easier to design. Pokemon isn't starving for options.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Eevee.

If Pokemon isn't getting a character from a new generation, it will be Eevee.

Gengar and Gardevoir are close, but Eevee towers over everyone that isn't Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Bulbasaur and Squirtle.
I would say Gengar is quite possibly much closer to Eevee. In that one Pokemon poll across all regions' Pokemon popularity, Gengar was the 2nd most popular Pokemon behind Charizard in front of Bulbasaur, Pikachu and Eevee. Gengar was also added to Pokken Tournament when Namco did a poll for Pokken and Gengar won(2nd place, since they couldn't do Magnamite, the true 1st place winner, for some reason or because it was memed or botted to 1st. But they made Magnamite the camera holders watching the Pokemon fighting).
And plus, Gengar must be quite popular if it's not just one of 4 Pokemon to have both a Mega Evolution and a Gigantamax form, but it got it's Gigantamax form alongside Charizard before Venusaur AND Blastoise. The latter 2 did not have a Gigantamax form until the DLC whereas the former 2 had theirs in the main game.

Edit: In case some are wondering about the Region poll, here it is.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

idk about what they would pick but I'd want Gengar

Gengar84

Smash Hero
idk about what they would pick but I'd want Gengar
Good choice :094:. Gengar is my first favorite Pokémon ever and is still about tied for first with Cofagrigus Golisopod. I love a lot of the Eevelutions but was always a bit indifferent to Eevee itself. Unless they stretch the idea a bit and incorporate the Eeveelutions into its moveset, I don’t see it being as interesting as Gengar moveset wise either.

Beyond Gengar, I feel like (Hisuian) Zoroark might have a decent shot. Zoroark has always been pretty popular and its Hisuian variant even got its own series of short anime episodes. I think they could incorporate elements from both forms into its moveset and have them both as alts.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Hot take, but i'd prefer Frederick over Lyn, at least moveset-wise, i know Lyn is way more popular than Frederick, but the horse gimmick could be very interesting in Smash.
And about Pokemon, i think Chandelure would make a really interesting fighter, and he's pretty popular, unfortunately the lack of hands, arms or anything similar might make it dificult to work since he has to be able to grab ledges (unless they start adding characters that are unable to grab ledges or something. which is possible i guess....), which is the interestingly same "point aganist" i have with Oatchi, but not as much since he could grab the legdes with his mouth or even legs like Spongebob does in NASB lol.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Hot take, but i'd prefer Frederick over Lyn, at least moveset-wise, i know Lyn is way more popular than Frederick, but the horse gimmick could be very interesting in Smash.
And about Pokemon, i think Chandelure would make a really interesting fighter, and he's pretty popular, unfortunately the lack of hands, arms or anything similar might make it dificult to work since he has to be able to grab ledges (unless they start adding characters that are unable to grab ledges or something. which is possible i guess....), which is the interestingly same "point aganist" i have with Oatchi, but not as much since he could grab the legdes with his mouth or even legs like Spongebob does in NASB lol.
I kind of agree that having a character on a horse could be fun gimmick, but we already have 3 Awakening rep, I don't think Frederick of all thing is really need. If anything I think Sigurd could work for that role, he's not the most popular character of the franchise by any mean but at least he would rep a new game (there's also many rumors that Genealogy of the holy war could get a remake so that would help his case a lot).

Having a flying mount could be pretty fun too. I guess Seteth could fit that role if you don't mind a second Three houses rep. Not sure about other iconic flying mount units (I guess if you want a Engage rep it would be Chloe but there's literally no reason to make her playable unless they REALLY want a flying units for Smash).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And about Pokemon, i think Chandelure would make a really interesting fighter, and he's pretty popular, unfortunately the lack of hands, arms or anything similar might make it dificult to work since he has to be able to grab ledges (unless they start adding characters that are unable to grab ledges or something. which is possible i guess....)
he's got arms

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Assuming the one character is a newcomer and not a vet (because, let's face it, Pikachu and Marth would be those characters respectively), I'd put my money on Eevee and Sigurd.

Eevee is (IMO) pretty self-explanatory. Not only is Eevee itself one of the most popular and iconic Pokemon of all time, but its evolutions are also generally incredibly popular. If you were to build a moveset around summoning the eight Eeveelutions for various attacks at the expense of Eevee itself being a somewhat underpowered fighter, I think it could make a pretty fun and unique inclusion.

Sigurd's inclusion mostly has to do with (fittingly) the legacy of Genealogy of the Holy War, his popularity with the hardcore Fire Emblem fanbase, and the fact he's on horseback. Genealogy is still one of the most acclaimed games in the series and Intelligent Systems seems to go back to it pretty often for inspiration. Three Houses' crest system seems to basically be "What if Holy Blood wasn't completely unbalanced?" from a gameplay perspective and the two systems are pretty similar from a story perspective. Sigurd himself is a pretty memorable character due to his misguided altruism and just how strong he is during gameplay. It's also kind of weird that, after 8 Fire Emblem characters, we haven't had a mounted unit yet given their importance to the series. Plus, it would give Sigurd an immediate way to stand out from his contemporaries in terms of his moveset.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Gengar, let's face it, has become mega popular and is still commonly thrust into the spotlight.

It's also very versatile and I'd be interested to see how they'd implement it. In the mainline games it's traditionally been a mix of harassing opponents with status and all-out offense. It could also have a levitate mechanic.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Gengar, let's face it, has become mega popular and is still commonly thrust into the spotlight.

It's also very versatile and I'd be interested to see how they'd implement it. In the mainline games it's traditionally been a mix of harassing opponents with status and all-out offense. It could also have a levitate mechanic.
Or at least it would, because it lost Levitate as its ability in Sun and Moon in favor of Cursed Body.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Or at least it would, because it lost Levitate as its ability in Sun and Moon in favor of Cursed Body.
Ya I disliked that change. Regardless, for the purposes of Smash tho I think it would still best fit its character to have some kind of levitation going on?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Marginally related but I kind of wish they went ham with FE character alts, like how Olimar has Alph alt.

I would love to have characters like Eliwood or Eirika as alts for Marth and Lucina. Alm could maybe work over Chrom or Ike.

In a future FE I think Alear over Marth would also be really easy. I'm not really a fan of Alear and some people would probably be upset at the lack of the Engage mechanic, but hey.

Of course I don't think this would work for all characters. Lyn uses a more ronin-inspired quickdraw style and it'd be strange to have Celica without her magic (and putting her over Robin instead would open a whole host of issues). And even with the characters I did suggest there'd still be things like Alm lacking his iconic Double Lion combat art. But I still think it'd be a great way to spread the love and pay homage to FE's history without having to actually make more characters.

Okay I'll admit it I mostly just want playable Eirika but know she will never get in on her own merits.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Marginally related but I kind of wish they went ham with FE character alts, like how Olimar has Alph alt.

I would love to have characters like Eliwood or Eirika as alts for Marth and Lucina. Alm could maybe work over Chrom or Ike.

In a future FE I think Alear over Marth would also be really easy. I'm not really a fan of Alear and some people would probably be upset at the lack of the Engage mechanic, but hey.

Of course I don't think this would work for all characters. Lyn uses a more ronin-inspired quickdraw style and it'd be strange to have Celica without her magic (and putting her over Robin instead would open a whole host of issues). And even with the characters I did suggest there'd still be thinks like Alm lacking his iconic Double Lion combat art. But I still think it'd be a great way to spread the love and pay homage to FE's history without having to actually make more characters.

Okay I'll admit it I mostly just want playable Eirika but know she will never get in on her own merits.
I think aside from the obvious avatars, you could only really make this work with Chrom and Lucina.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I kind of agree that having a character on a horse could be fun gimmick, but we already have 3 Awakening rep, I don't think Frederick of all thing is really need. If anything I think Sigurd could work for that role, he's not the most popular character of the franchise by any mean but at least he would rep a new game (there's also many rumors that Genealogy of the holy war could get a remake so that would help his case a lot).

Having a flying mount could be pretty fun too. I guess Seteth could fit that role if you don't mind a second Three houses rep. Not sure about other iconic flying mount units (I guess if you want a Engage rep it would be Chloe but there's literally no reason to make her playable unless they REALLY want a flying units for Smash).
I would take Sigurd too, i persnally don't know much about FE, i only played Awakening like 10 years ago.

he's got arms
Well i guess he could use the flames he has for "arms", might look a bit weird too, but we already have weird looking stuff in smash anyways, so maybe it doesn't really matter.

I think Frederick could have a really cool projectile attack!

But seriously ignoring the question of if a horsemen could even work, you picked Frederick for the role?
I think it could work, he could fall of the horse when he's taken enough damage for example, maybe the Horse could move around the stage when Fredrick has fallen off of it or something, like it's panicking, but that action doesnt deal damage or anything.

About Gengar, i think Cursed Body could be his down b, if a character hits gengar with a special move when he's using the ability, that move will be disabled for a few seconds, i know abilities are pasive, but smash has changed the way some attacks function before.
Shadow Punch could be his side b, he throws a ghostly punch proyectile forward, that has little to no start up or endlag, of course, this attack would not be able to K.O opponents and would not deal much damage.
Down B could be Dark Pulse, Gengar creates a dark circular wave around him, that stuns enemies, this move would have high start up but low end lag, and not much attack power either.
I'm no competitive player mind you, so there's probably some unbalanced/janky stuff there in my ideas xD.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well i guess he could use the flames he has for "arms", might look a bit weird too, but we already have weird looking stuff in smash anyways, so maybe it doesn't really matter.
it’s the branches at his side that are the arms. he’s been shown using them before

Pupp135

Smash Champion

For Pokemon, Eevee is the most prominent/promoted one, but I could see something else that’s popular like Gengar, Mew, Gardevoir, or Mimickyu being added if they catch the next game’s developer’s interest more kind of like with Zelda/Sheik in Melee or Rosalina and Robin in For. Mew‘s my favorite pokemon, but it would be cool to see ghost type pokemon on the roster. Also, how would everyone feel about Deoxys joining as it was speculated during the Brawl era?

For Fire Emblem, Lyn would probably be the first choice as she was only behind Ike in the first Choose Your Legends poll, but I do think that Edie, Dimitri, and Claude are still popular four years after Three Houses released. For older protagonists, Celica, Ephraim, Hector, and Micaiah would be cool to see even if they’re less probable.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Also, yeah, just about everything about Three Houses screamed to me "yeah we're thinking about going back to Genealogy soon."

I mean, come on, the Crest lore, more mature/serious tone compared to most FEs, battles with a heightened sense of scale, a major timeskip.

For Smash, though, I don't really see Sigurd on the top of the stack of FE reps, even with a remake. Though his popularity is commendable given that he is fighting an uphill battle with his original game remaining JP-only.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I think the problem with Eevee is that it will probably be four characters into one type of deal, rather than it not working, which would take lots of development time.
I can easily see Eevee having a down b move that allows him to evolove to Jolteon, Flareon and Vaporeon using a stone, twist is that Eevee can't reverse the transformation until Eevee loses a stock, so he would be stuck with the evolution for the whole stock.
So this is why i think they'll probably go with Gengar or someone else.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Status moves are a potentially underexplored area for Smash movesets.

Gengar in particular is pretty famous for using moves like Disable, Confuse Ray, Hypnosis, and Will-O-Wisp. With move-disabling, though, it might be problematic that there's no clear way to telegraph to the players which move is disabled. Confuse Ray and Hypnosis would probably have to be made very difficult to hit with in order to not be broken (just like in the games, ha). Will-O-Wisp could be fun with a temporary effect of reducing their damage/knockback with direct contact moves.

Maybe there is even some strange way to do Destiny Bond, but...I can't think of how they'd do that without it being too cheap/broken...maybe it only works if the attacker is at high enough percent?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Maybe there is even some strange way to do Destiny Bond, but...I can't think of how they'd do that without it being too cheap/broken...maybe it only works if the attacker is at high enough percent?
If both fighters are over 100%, when Gengar gets KO'd the other fighter instantly explodes. The Bond is mitigated if the opponent heals to below 100%, or loses a stock themselves before Gengar.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
decided to browse r/gamingleaksandrumours on a whim, found this that it was posted two days ago. the Famiboards thread didn't mention this part I don't think
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/1681flx likely a nothing burger or simple future proofing, but I think we'll at least see something about the new console next direct

...yes I am desperate for the next direct why do you ask? 😭

SPEN18

Smash Champion
If both fighters are over 100%, when Gengar gets KO'd the other fighter instantly explodes. The Bond is mitigated if the opponent heals to below 100%, or loses a stock themselves before Gengar.
In addition I think the effect would have to wear off after a very short time frame. So you'd have to time the move right before the opponent hits you.
Give it some end lag, too, so they can punish you for not executing properly.

I still don't know if a mechanic like this would be actually fun or just frustratingly gimmicky.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
decided to browse r/gamingleaksandrumours on a whim, found this that it was posted two days ago. the Famiboards thread didn't mention this part I don't think
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/1681flx likely a nothing burger or simple future proofing, but I think we'll at least see something about the new console next direct

...yes I am desperate for the next direct why do you ask? 😭
I could also see Nintendo shadow-dropping an announcement for the next piece of hardware in the fall outside of a Direct, similar to what happened with the Switch in 2016.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think realistically we're likely getting a direct on 9/12-9/13 (maybe 9/19-9/20) and then getting the big next hardware announcement some time in the first half of 2024. Nintendo is going to push Mario Wonder and stuff like Mario Kart bundles very hard and there's no reason to give casual customers a reason to think a new console is coming before the big holiday sales happen.

Especially when you look at the absolute domination of Nintendo in places like Japan, there's so much more of that market to squeaze out before the transition into the Switch 2 kicks off.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think realistically we're likely getting a direct on 9/12-9/13 (maybe 9/19-9/20) and then getting the big next hardware announcement some time in the first half of 2024. Nintendo is going to push Mario Wonder and stuff like Mario Kart bundles very hard and there's no reason to give casual customers a reason to think a new console is coming before the big holiday sales happen.
it'd usually be before TGS which starts the 21st this year.

idk if you guys are familiar with Pyoro (Pyoro_X) on Twitter, they've leaked/accurately predicted most of the stuff in the June direct, including the name of Mario Wonder. everything except the Star Ocean 2 remaster and MGS collection iirc. they seem to be hinting it'll be the 13th as they liked someone's tweet saying essentially "is the 13th a good ballpark date"? basically (and much to my boredom-induced frustration and the fact I'll be starting a certification boot camp next week so I won't be able to live react to it) so I wouldn't expect it this week

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
it'd usually be before TGS which starts the 21st this year.

idk if you guys are familiar with Pyoro (Pyoro_X) on Twitter, they've leaked/accurately predicted most of the stuff in the June direct, including the name of Mario Wonder. everything except the Star Ocean 2 remaster and MGS collection iirc. they seem to be hinting it'll be the 13th as they liked someone's tweet saying essentially "is the 13th a good ballpark date"? basically (and much to my boredom-induced frustration and the fact I'll be starting a certification boot camp next week so I won't be able to live react to it) so I wouldn't expect it this week
The 13th of September has been a popular date for previous fall directs so it would completely make sense.

Top Bottom