• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Well this is also true for stuff like Digimon and Yokai watch which are also multi media series.

But that simply doesnt matter when it comes to smash because Pokemon. And within the realm of third parties, Megaman, Street fighter and Final fantasy.

Megaman has Battle network and Star force content which are multi media projects from Capcom, Street fighter has a spirit from a manga and half of FF's representation comes from a theatrical film.
So would you say that that multi-media series can count of videogame "origin" then? since they technically were planed as videogames from the start.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m just saying if you don’t want Kiryu in the game for the pure fact that he’s an amazing character from an incredible game franchise then… consider the music please.
Sega has a lot of great franchises don’t get me wrong but o personally believe that Yakuza/Like a Dragon/Judgment is their most special. It has so much love and beautiful characters in it that it deserves to be in the pantheon of Video Games Characters that are present in Smash.

For your consideration: Kazuma Kiryu

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’m just saying if you don’t want Kiryu in the game for the pure fact that he’s an amazing character from an incredible game franchise then… consider the music please.
Sega has a lot of great franchises don’t get me wrong but o personally believe that Yakuza/Like a Dragon/Judgment is their most special. It has so much love and beautiful characters in it that it deserves to be in the pantheon of Video Games Characters that are present in Smash.

ive considered and i'm going to have to politely decline

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
So how do you guys are feeling about a Genshin Impact rep? I think it would fit well in Smash and it's very popular.
Altrough, i know people generally are not a fan of online games begin represented with a playable character in Smash. But i think live services and mmorpgs are a part of gaming, so i would be fine with having one or two reps of those type of games.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
This makes me want to get a new remix of this song in a Smash game (or at least the Sonic Mania remix of it)

This is just Final of Puyo Puyo 😭

Kiryu would be neat and probably stands the best chance but I'd personally really want a character from one of their more "classic" series', unlikely as it may be

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So how do you guys are feeling about a Genshin Impact rep? I think it would fit well in Smash and it's very popular.
Altrough, i know people generally are not a fan of online games begin represented with a playable character in Smash. But i think live services and mmorpgs are a part of gaming, so i would be fine with having one or two reps of those type of games.
again I must politely decline

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
No thanks lol. I feel like the cast is fairly generic, and I can't think of any smash characters who aren't visually distinct. I have no issue with the game itself (It really isn't my thing, but that doesn't mean it's bad), but there are so many games I would be far happier to see represented (pretty much everything other than Overwatch actually). Also lots of its fans are pretty annoying from my experience (Although so are SMT & Persona fans (and lots of Smash fans for that matter), so I can't really say anything). I'd love to see representation from FFXIV or something though (or even, like, Club Penguin), I have nothing against MMOs, I just really have no desire to see Genshin specifically. If anyone does, fair enough, I'll be happy for you if it gets representation, but I won't be celebrating personally (I won't be upset either, because it's just a character in a game lol).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure how this will affect Nintendo (or Smash specifically), but given how these strikes have been going on for quite awhile now, I figured I'd share this just in case.
there is an influencer detail too, like if the strike goes trhough you can't stream it

and im a streamer too so... "this stinks" is an understatement

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
there is an influencer detail too, like if the strike goes trhough you can't stream it

and im a streamer too so... "this stinks" is an understatement
Honestly, not being allowed to stream a game always sucks. I mean, one thing is not being allowed to stream a playtest copy(at all or till the NDA date is up, but there's a final version to get anyway), but a released game? I mean, sure, there's also a case where it needs to be labeled properly(I.E. mature audiences, or use a different streaming platform if it's an Adult Only game in many cases). Differences is these are actually logical, not dumb like this. :/

-------------

That said, I don't really mind what franchise gets put in. If it's not one I personally prefer, I just shrug. I just don't see a problem with any franchise ultimately showing up. I understand why some are unlikely or impossible, but a problem is a different thing.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Genshin would be an attractive prospect if they opted for someone outside of the bland as **** avatar character.
But with how Smash typically operates, it would be the avatar character

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think I'd be more inclined towards Genshin if the developer actually put their game on Switch as was announced years ago.

As is, it getting into Smash would feel a bit underwhelming.
if the Switch 2 really is in development and they're moving Genshin to the Switch 2, it would make sense for a Switch 2 Smash installment at least

Ivander

Smash Legend
Genshin would be an attractive prospect if they opted for someone outside of the bland as **** avatar character.
I mean, Robin was chosen instead of Chrom because of Chrom being too similar to Marth and Ike.

Like I get that Avatar characters can be quite bland because of often their lack of personality to allow for easier self-inserting, but gameplay-wise, Avatar characters are definitely capable of being just as unique, sometimes if not more, than the average characters' moveset. And it is a nice treat when we get those Avatar characters with much more personality than being a blank slate, like if they have the character reference one of their more expressive moments.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just the fact they already talked to Nintendo is all they need. The game could come out before or after the character is planned for Smash and it wouldn't really matter. Why? Because the company clearly wanted to work with Nintendo to release game. Nothing else matters beyond the companies willing to work together.

That said, it's not impossible for the character to be licensed for but the game cancelled. They're ultimately different products at the end of the day and the character being chosen as playable does not actually hinge on them getting the game on a Nintendo console. Of course, both talks could happen at once and the game could be cancelled which also could lead to the specific deal for a GI character falling through. It's just a matter of context and timing. Once the next Smash is already in development, with everything licensed, it'll be at a point that the GI game itself is more of a separate entity(if the licensing was even connected at all. They could be just as independent of each other as they are connected).

Now, that said, with the game being intended as ported over, it means Nintendo already has an investment in GI, which means they clearly would have an easier time going with the idea since there's already a good blood between them. Likewise, it could just as well never even be in the talks at any point or even a consideration. We don't know who the new director will be or what their thoughts are. We don't know how much Nintendo would directly involve themselves with the base roster, or the inevitable DLC. Etc.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
there's a character in Genshin who's voiced by the actor for Greg in the Wimpy Kid movies
Ah ok. That's less funny than having like a 5 star Greg in gacha pulls, but still fun.

Also, I wonder how likely it is that they'd announce a Sora amiibo during/after the "Amiibo and me" tournament they're doing at Nintendo Live right now.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
don't worry they'll put diary of a wimpy kid in fortnite instead
Honestly every day I'm more tempted to try fortnite with how many crossovers it has. I played it once shortly after the battle royale became popular, and I preferred PUBG so never played any more, but it looks pretty cool now.

Also, the Amiibo tourney just ended, and as far as I can tell no Sora amiibo was announced.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly every day I'm more tempted to try fortnite with how many crossovers it has. I played it once shortly after the battle royale became popular, and I preferred PUBG so never played any more, but it looks pretty cool now.

Also, the Amiibo tourney just ended, and as far as I can tell no Sora amiibo was announced.
amiibo being announced at a tourney never seemed that plausible anyway.

It'd more likely be in a September Direct, as it's kind of a big deal. Like, he's the number 1 voted character of the ballot itself. The amiibo tourney is a bit too small end. I wouldn't have really expected it there.

Of course, it's possible they couldn't get one(which would suck), but I don't remember them announcing no more Smash amiibo for Ultimate would be coming. If one isn't while they attempted to, they may just give a quick explanation(so a very minor statement that has no real details to avoid any possible issues with Disney. There's a reason most developers say extremely little. Don't want to accidentally burn a bridge, you know?). Though I could also see them not saying anything about Smash amiibo being over with... since a new game will eventually come with more amiibo most likely. It's kind of a pointless statement by then. Could go either way. Let's hope we find out.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Honestly in addition to the Sora amiibo I'd love to see some extra Player 2 versions for characters with alternate looks, updated designs, or alt characters.

Path of Radiance Ike
Ocarina of Time Ganondorf
A Link Between Worlds Zelda
Female Villager
Male Wii Fit Trainer
Female Robin
Female Byleth
Alph
Dragon Quest III Hero
Dragon Quest IV Hero
Dragon Quest VIII Hero
Leaf

I could go either way for the Koopalings personally but I'd be down for them

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Honestly in addition to the Sora amiibo I'd love to see some extra Player 2 versions for characters with alternate looks, updated designs, or alt characters.

Path of Radiance Ike
Ocarina of Time Ganondorf
A Link Between Worlds Zelda
Female Villager
Male Wii Fit Trainer
Female Robin
Female Byleth
Alph
Dragon Quest III Hero
Dragon Quest IV Hero
Dragon Quest VIII Hero
Leaf

I could go either way for the Koopalings personally but I'd be down for them
I hope F!Robin, M!Wii Fit and F!Villager have their Smash 4 poses, so it will not be jarring.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I mean, Robin was chosen instead of Chrom because of Chrom being too similar to Marth and Ike.

Like I get that Avatar characters can be quite bland because of often their lack of personality to allow for easier self-inserting, but gameplay-wise, Avatar characters are definitely capable of being just as unique, sometimes if not more, than the average characters' moveset. And it is a nice treat when we get those Avatar characters with much more personality than being a blank slate, like if they have the character reference one of their more expressive moments.
Okay.
I'm talking specifically about the Genshin avatar being boring, not spouting some dumb "all avatars are boring" nonsense.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
No thanks lol. I feel like the cast is fairly generic, and I can't think of any smash characters who aren't visually distinct. I have no issue with the game itself (It really isn't my thing, but that doesn't mean it's bad), but there are so many games I would be far happier to see represented (pretty much everything other than Overwatch actually). Also lots of its fans are pretty annoying from my experience (Although so are SMT & Persona fans (and lots of Smash fans for that matter), so I can't really say anything). I'd love to see representation from FFXIV or something though (or even, like, Club Penguin), I have nothing against MMOs, I just really have no desire to see Genshin specifically. If anyone does, fair enough, I'll be happy for you if it gets representation, but I won't be celebrating personally (I won't be upset either, because it's just a character in a game lol).
I'm actually not a Genshin player, i saw a Genshin video and the though of what if it was in Smash came out in my head.
I thought a MMO rep would be interesting and since Genshin is pretty popular then i picked that one.

Maybe they could go for that Amber girl instead? She seems to be the mascot in a way.

I think I'd be more inclined towards Genshin if the developer actually put their game on Switch as was announced years ago.

As is, it getting into Smash would feel a bit underwhelming.
That's fair.
I honestly kind of believe in the "It has to have at least one apareance in a nintendo console" rule, i forgot Genshin wasn't on switch.

God know what 3rd parties will get in the DLC of the next game tho, with how crazy the DLC of this game was, maybe they add League of Legends or Angry Birds lol.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Since it's been a while (and I know FE is a hot topic), here's my chart from my thread in greater detail:
CharacterMarthLynIkeAwakening RepAzuraByleth
:chrom::lucina::ultrobin:
(I'd go for either Robin or Chrom with Lucina as an alt)​
First Appearance
Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (1990)​
The Blazing Blade (2003)​
Path of Radiance (2005)​
Awakening (2013)​
Fates (2015)​
Three Houses (2019)​
Smash Appearences
  • 64​
  • Melee​
  • Brawl​
  • Sm4sh​
  • Ultimate​
  • Brawl​
  • Smash 3DS​
  • Ultimate​
  • Brawl​
  • Smash Wii U​
  • Ultimate​
  • Sm4sh (base game)​
  • Ultimate​
  • Sm4sh (DLC)​
  • Ultimate​
Ultimate (DLC)​
Class / Weapon
Lord (Falchion)​
Blade Lord (Mani Katti / Sol Katti / Mulagir)​
Lord (Ragnell / Urvan)​
Either Lord (Falchion / Gradivus / Javelin) or Tactician (Tomes)​
Songstress (Lance)​
Professor (Sword of the Creator / Amyr / Areadbhar / Failnaught)​
Playstyle
Force and Finesse​
Fragile Speedster​
Mighty Glacier​
Depends on the character​
Glass Cannon​
Multi-Melee Tactical Master​
Reason
Was considered for 64 alongside Bowser, King Dedede and Mewtwo, so I figured all four of them should get in with more dev time​
Was the first Lord to be introduced in Blazing Blade, the first FE game to be released internationally​
Mostly due to his popularity on his own; his moveset would remain mostly unchanged, but he'd also wield his father's axe in his Smash attacks​
Awakening was the game that saved the franchise, but since I only wanted to do one Awakening rep, take your pick out of the three I listed​
Mostly to promote Fates, but I went with Azura due to the higher moveset potential with her lance, singing and water bending​
Mostly to promote Three Houses, but he would be in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and Steve would be moved to Vol. 1​

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly kind of believe in the "It has to have at least one apareance in a nintendo console" rule, i forgot Genshin wasn't on switch.
It's not an actual rule. It's Sakurai wasn't sure how he would've reacted if Cloud wasn't on a Nintendo console first. People took that quite a bit out of context.

The actual answer is "it's unclear".

It definitely does not apply to the character themselves, at least. The franchise and/or company may matter(if the company never worked with Nintendo, getting a proper deal is kind of... difficult), but we can't say for sure. I do lean towards that part mattering, but not the character specifically. So if MiHoYo is working with Nintendo at all, I'd say they have a potential chance. I spoke earlier a bit above of how things are actually complicated enough that even if we didn't succeed in getting the game, a character is not actually off the charts. But there's too much behind the scenes to say how it would go to any clear enough degree.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
IMO, Genshin Impact is one of those series that needs a little more time to prove its legacy and staying power before a Smash rep should be seriously considered. The series is only three years old, after all. There's no telling if Genshin Impact will continue to be incredibly popular or whether it will ultimately be something of a fad that falls off in popularity. If Genshin Impact is still going strong in three to five years, I think there's a better case to be made for the series joining Smash.

Top Bottom