• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The loving tea is from an OC version of MetalTyrannomon X that I don't think I really brought up on this site before today. So it won't help much. XD

Yeah, Penguinmon have a more specific thing would be neat. Honestly, a lot of Digimon could have a somewhat more stand-out line.
oh. I’m still going to have an image of him having a tea party with Layton in my head for a while

well at least the franchise is still going so we’ve got chances for any of them to get one

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
oh. I’m still going to have an image of him having a tea party with Layton in my head for a while

well at least the franchise is still going so we’ve got chances for any of them to get one
If it helps, I'm going to make an art of him later. And I love it.

I just hope we get something Digmon next time. There's so much they can do with characters it's unbelievable~

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
You know

what if we were to see more dual Boss and AT characters like Rathalos? Who else would fit both roles?

or even someone who’s both an AT and in a final smash, like Riki?
I was thinking about Dr. Eggman and DJ Octavio as potential new AT/Boss combos, but i would prefer them to be playable at this point.
If Sans is playable in the base game of the next smash entry, maybe Undyne could fit the bill as a new AT/Boss combo.
A Dark Souls boss could also get the AT/Boss combo treatement.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
On the subject of bosses, how would you feel if the overall boss lineup was:
  • Master Hand*
  • Crazy Hand*
  • Master Core*
  • Galeem (WoL only)
  • Dharkon (WoL only)
  • Giga Bowser
  • Ganon
  • Galleom
  • Duon
  • Mega Rayquaza
  • Marx
  • Grunty (assuming Banjo was in the base game)
  • Dracula
  • Rathalos
  • Magician Type-0
*There are other factors I’m considering
  • Master Hand, Crazy Hand and Master Core would appear in WoL, but outside of that and a boss battle mode, you could only fight them in a different Classic Mode that’s closer to 3DS’s Classic Mode
  • The Classic Mode in SSBU would be renamed to Story Mode and none of the former three would be the end boss of each character’s route
  • Master Core’s three forms would also be exclusive to WoL, being fought in the Final Battle area
  • Galeem and Dharkon would be WoL-only, and every other boss would be fought in Story Mode and WoL

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
It would be cool to see the pioneer of the action-rpg genere in Smash Bros. for sure!
I'm also surprised Nihon Falcom didn't get anything in Ultimate, not even spirits, specially when Ys IX came out in September 2019, they could've added spirits from Ys IX, but oh well.
This is not related to Adol, but i think a Guilty Gear rep is also up there, specially with how popular Arc Sys is right now.
Yeah, I think a Guilty Gear rep has a good chance too. ASW has been thriving with their biggest IPs lately. It's also why I think that if a Guilty Gear rep (like Sol Badguy) does get in, they might not be the only rep, as there's a good chance either River City or Double Dragon or both, could also get a rep along with them.

toonito

Smash Ace
I liked some characters such as Link, Simon, and Cloud who had their canon bosses as their final battles in Classic Mode. IMO it was disappointing to see Master/Crazy hand as the final battles for many characters. I know its not feasible but i'd like to see every character with their canon boss fight (Sonic gets Eggman, Bowser gets Mario, Ryu gets Bison, etc.)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I liked some characters such as Link, Simon, and Cloud who had their canon bosses as their final battles in Classic Mode. IMO it was disappointing to see Master/Crazy hand as the final battles for many characters. I know its not feasible but i'd like to see every character with their canon boss fight (Sonic gets Eggman, Bowser gets Mario, Ryu gets Bison, etc.)
I had this weird idea that Akuma should be like a second echo fighter for Ryu, since he, Ryu and Ken share the same fighting style, but we would also have the stronger form Shin Akuma as a classic mode boss.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On the subject of bosses, how would you feel if the overall boss lineup was:
  • Master Hand*
  • Crazy Hand*
  • Master Core*
  • Galeem (WoL only)
  • Dharkon (WoL only)
  • Giga Bowser
  • Ganon
  • Galleom
  • Duon
  • Mega Rayquaza
  • Marx
  • Grunty (assuming Banjo was in the base game)
  • Dracula
  • Rathalos
  • Magician Type-0
*There are other factors I’m considering
  • Master Hand, Crazy Hand and Master Core would appear in WoL, but outside of that and a boss battle mode, you could only fight them in a different Classic Mode that’s closer to 3DS’s Classic Mode
  • The Classic Mode in SSBU would be renamed to Story Mode and none of the former three would be the end boss of each character’s route
  • Master Core’s three forms would also be exclusive to WoL, being fought in the Final Battle area
  • Galeem and Dharkon would be WoL-only, and every other boss would be fought in Story Mode and WoL
nah, not for me. but I would like to list the bosses I’d have bar the hands
  • Fury Bowser
  • Calamity Ganon
  • Eternamax Eternatus
  • Death Egg Robo
  • World of Nothing
  • Mother Brain
  • Void Termina
  • Titan Dweevil

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Personally, I like how some characters have final bosses from other series, just as long as they fit. In the end, it still has that crossover element that I always like to see in games like these.

toonito

Smash Ace
I had this weird idea that Akuma should be like a second echo fighter for Ryu, since he, Ryu and Ken share the same fighting style, but we would also have the stronger form Shin Akuma as a classic mode boss.
relating to Bosses for Ryu in particular I had an idea if u complete Classic Mode on 0.0-9.8 difficulty you fight Bison on his SFII stage. However, on Classic Mode 9.9 Akuma throws Bison off stage and you fight Akuma instead ala SFII.

As far as echoes for Ryu Ken is his definitive echo and while Akuma/Evil Ryu would be cool to have in Smash I'm not as crazy about adding another shoto. Oddly enough, if another shoto had to make Smash I'd swap Ken for Sakura. Sakura fighting alongside Ryu in Smash has grown on me over time.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
relating to Bosses for Ryu in particular I had an idea if u complete Classic Mode on 0.0-9.8 difficulty you fight Bison on his SFII stage. However, on Classic Mode 9.9 Akuma throws Bison off stage and you fight Akuma instead ala SFII.

As far as echoes for Ryu Ken is his definitive echo and while Akuma/Evil Ryu would be cool to have in Smash I'm not as crazy about adding another shoto. Oddly enough, if another shoto had to make Smash I'd swap Ken for Sakura. Sakura fighting alongside Ryu in Smash has grown on me over time.
I kinda figured that if you had Akuma as a boss it just made sense to include him on the playable roster as well since they would most likely be building him off of Ryu/Ken anyway.
Maybe just label him as a semi clone ala Young Link and Dr Mario.

As a side note i kinda want to see a Smash mod that adds Sakura to the roster.
I want to see how the differences between her and Ryu would look in smash but i know that would most likely never happen in an actual Smash game.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
It's still baffling how much effort they put into the bosses compared to how little they utilized most of them.

They should have at least had a proper boss rush mode.
The Spirit Rematch feature should’ve been perfect for this, but they didn’t even bother with that.

In fact, you know what? SSBU's single player in general kinda sucks compared to the previous games, so here's my attempt at fixing it.
  • Group
    • Vs. Mode (1-8 players)
    • Squad Strike (1-2 players)
    • Tourney (up to 64 characters in total can be registered, but the game only allows for 1-8 players at a time)
    • Special Smash
      • Smashdown
      • Custom Smash
      • Super Sudden Death
      • Coin Smash
  • Solo
    • Smash Run
    • Arcade
      • Classic Mode (plays more like 3DS; 1 player)
      • Story Mode (each fighter has a predetermined route; 1-2 players)
      • All-Star (opponents are fought by game of debut; 1-2 players)
    • Stadium
      • Home-Run Contest (1-2 players)
      • Volleyball (1-2 players)
      • Mob Smash
        • Century Smash (fight 100 opponents; 1 player)
        • Rival Smash (two players can select different characters and must defeat as many opponents as possible within 3 minutes; 1-2 players)
        • Master Smash (fight enemies as Master Hand and Crazy Hand until you die; 1-2 players, unlocked after beating WoL with every fighter rescued)
        • Cruel Smash (fight an army of disgustingly strong opponents; 1 player)
      • Boss Battles (1-2 players
    • Creative Corner
      • Mode Builder (create your own Target Test/Board the Platforms or Story Mode route and share them online)
      • Stage Builder (create your own stages)
      • Mii Fighters
    • Training
  • Spirits
    • Adventure Mode: World of Light (keeps the overworld and Spirit Battles but throws in platofrming levels with enemies; 1-2 players)
    • Spirit Board (1-2 players)
    • Collection
    • DLC Spirits Boards (1-2 players
    • With Anyone
      • For Fun
      • For Glory
    • With Friends
    • Online Tourney
      • Regular
      • Event
    • Spectate
    • Shared Content
  • Vault
    • Sounds
      • My Music now allows you to create a playlist and play any song in the game on any stage in the game
    • Replays
      • Video Editor
    • Records
      • Stats
      • Milestones
      • Battle Data
      • Smash Tags
      • Past Opponents
    • Challenges
    • Tips
    • Movies
    • Shop
    • amiibo
  • Dashboard
    • Return to Main Menu
    • Collection
    • Local Wireless
    • News
    • Options
    • Help
  • Classic Mode only (outside WoL)
    • Master Hand
    • Crazy Hand
  • Story Mode only (outside WoL)
    • Giga Bowser
    • Galleom
    • Duon
    • Ganon, the Demon King
    • Marx
    • Mega Rayquaza
    • Dracula
    • Magician Type-0
    • Rathalos
    • Gruntilda (assuming Banjo was a base game newcomer)
  • Every boss in World of Light
    • Light Realm
      • Galleom
      • Grunty
      • Mega Rayquaza
      • Rathalos
      • Giga Bowser
      • Master Hand
      • Galeem (WoL only)
    • Dark Realm
      • Duon
      • Ganon, the Demon King
      • Marx
      • Magician Type-0
      • Dracula
      • Crazy Hand
      • Dharkon (WoL only)
    • The Final Battle
      • A re-fight with the other 10 bosses that aren't the Hands, Galeem or Dharkon
      • Master Hand & Crazy Hand
      • Galeem & Dharkon (there are multiple different endings)
        • You can fight Galeem purely for Dharkon's ending, and vice-versa
        • You can fight both of them for one of two endings
          • If you only rescued the mandatory fighters, Galeem and Dharkon reduce the fighters to Spirits with one last attack
          • If you rescue every fighter in the game, Galeem and Dharkon are defeated for good and the worlds and Spirits are restored to their former glory
Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Bonus 1Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Bonus 2Stage 7Final Stage
Stage 3​
Stage 4​
Stage 6​
Stage 7​
Stage 2​
Bonus 1​
Stage 5​
Bonus 2​
Stage 1​
Stage 3​
Stage 4​
Stage 6​
Stage 7​
Final Stage​
Stage 2​
Bonus 1​
Stage 5​
Bonus 2​
Stage 3​
Stage 4​
Stage 6​
Stage 7​

Difficulty settings:
  • Very Easy
  • Easy
  • Normal
  • Hard
  • Very Hard
There are also ranks you can earn on each stage depending on your performance.
  • S Rank: Clear a stage as quickly as possible without taking damage or losing a life
  • A Rank: Clear a stage as quickly as possible without losing a life
  • B Rank: Clear a stage without losing a life
  • C Rank: The participation prize for Classic Mode
The match type is typically random, but the boss of the final stage is always Master Hand. If you make it to the Final Stage within 5 minutes, Crazy Hand joins him. After the Final Stage, your rank will depend on the ranks you earned throughout your run.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As far as bosses from potential new series not yet in Smash, there’s a few I’d love to see.

Spoilers for Chrono Trigger, Contra, and Astral Chain:

1. Lavos (Chrono Trigger)

Whether we get Crono, Magus, or someone else, Lavos would be the perfect boss choice. For those who haven’t played the game, Lavos shifts the battlefield between time periods during the boss fight in his first form. This could be represented by stage morphing between different stages in Smash that represent eras (for example, they could go with Hyrule Temple for the antiquity era, Castle Siege for the middle ages, and Frigate Orpheon for future.) Lavos’ attacks would change depending on what stage (era) is active.

2. Goneramos King (Contra)

This one mimics the final boss in the original Contra on the NES. The boss itself is a giant heart that doesn’t actually attack directly. Instead it sends waves of enemies from the eggs on the ceiling and floor. These are pretty much exactly face huggers from Alien. The face huggers on the ceiling drop down to attack as they approach your character.

3. Jenna Anderson (Astral Chain)

This one starts out as a pretty normal one on one fight with a normal fighter sized boss. After defeating her first form, Jenna transforms into a flying monster outs form and gets slightly bigger. Jenna’s final form is the size of an entire stage and is even more monstrous. The battlefield changes to reflect that. Jenna herself becomes the stage and you fight your way across her to attack her weak point at her core.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Since we're throwing ideas for boss battles:
Here's a bit of a curveball for a boss battle idea: (Curveball in the sense that the most likely Dragon Quest bosses to be included are Dragonlord from I or Zoma from III).

Dholmagus from Dragon Quest VIII.

At the start of the battle, he would summon two clones of himself, like in the original game.
Those clones will have less HP than Dholmagus and will deal less damage, but they will be an annoyance if you ignore them and focus on the real Dholmagus.
He would also have several moves he has from the original game, like summoning thorns from his scepter or trowing derbis to the player character or putting your character into deep sleep.
Maybe he could even have Multiheal, a move were he heals himself and his clones for a like of HP, not too much, so it's not broken, but annoying enough since there's 3 Dholmaguses.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I've mentioned it before, but on the topic of bosses I like the idea of a Melee-esque adventure mode. I'll go off of the context of Perkilator's structure since I like it a lot, but with this mode being there.

The final battle of this Adventure Mode is Master Hand & Crazy Hand, the latter only appearing on higher difficulties. Master Core, appearing elsewhere, does not emerge under any circumstances. Instead, on Very Hard, and if you reached the hands within a certain amount of time (such that it might take a bit of practice to make the time consistently, but nothing too crazy) then the fight against the hands ends prematurely halfway through, Master Hand drawing a hole into the background with his finger and peeling it off to reveal a wormhole.

Master Hand suddenly gets torn wide open by who emerges, and that same individual blasts Crazy Hand before he can react. FD's background warps into a reddish-pink dimensional spiral and the true final fight begins with the strongest warrior in the galaxy.

Galacta Knight appears significantly larger than Meta Knight, in reference to how he appears as Aeon Hero in Super Kirby Clash - around Ganondorf's height while being about as wide, seeing as he's a sphere. He's extremely mobile and hits extremely hard and even has combo strings, which Smash bosses almost never do. He has perpetual super armor, too, but strong attacks will break said armor for long enough to get some good hits in yourself, provided you properly parry his continued rushdown. He can jump as many times as he wants and always is treated as though he's at 0%, to prevent any cheese (like other bosses, he has a health bar.) On the other hand, he's an extreme fast-faller and so if you can manage to get him in hitstun - no easy feat - you'll get some good reward.

Obviously, he's not a character you'd be able to play as, but strictly a boss fighter.
Though maybe you could play as him via a button combination, but only after beating him as a boss, and ONLY in offline Smash mode and online in friend-only arenas. Never in any serious contexts. Common sense suggests he'd also be banned from IRL tournaments too.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It'd be very non-Nintendo but I'd enjoy a round against Shao Kahn from MK2 complete with "You Suck!" Taunts.
"It's official! You suck!"

One of the best. Hell, just having him as an Assist Trophy that spends half the time taunting that he does kicking ass is worth it alone.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just want an Outrealm stage with Shao Kahn doing quotes when something notable happens.

Evil laughter every time a fighter loses a stock would make it entirely worth it.
Maybe if by the time the fighter starts their last stock, Shao Khan will say, “You will never win!”.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Well, since we're on the topic, here's a list of bosses I'd like to see:

• Petey Piranha (acts like he did in Brawl)
  • Fury Bowser (Giga Bowser 2: Return of Bowser)
  • Calamity Ganon
  • Void Termina
  • Rayquaza (functions as in Brawl, Mega Evolves at half HP)
  • Necrozma
  • Mother Brain (becomes bipedal at half HP)
  • Giygas (possibly with Porky assisting him?)
  • Plasm Wraith
  • Metal Face
  • DJ Octavio
  • Wily Machine 7 (from Mega Man 7, uses the capsule from his assist trophy at half HP)
  • Metal Madness (transforms into Metal Overlord at half HP)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Boss Wishlist:

Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]

what if we were to see more dual Boss and AT characters like Rathalos? Who else would fit both roles?
I don't know of any Boss that wouldn't fit that role. It's an AT, so it's not like it has to be balanced. Things like Mother Brain, Nightmare and the Moon are ATs so pretty much anything can be.

Or at the very least the ability to fight any boss with any character without having to take them all on
Can't you pretty much do that in WoL?

Characters that can work as Fighters shouldn't be Bosses.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Nintendo has announced Charles Martinet will no longer be the voice of Mario, with him now being Mario Ambassador.

I am curious if the recast voice would make its way to future Smash titles… or if they continue using Mario’s Brawl performance (also applies to Luigi, Wario, Dr. Mario, and Waluigi)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Nintendo has announced Charles Martinet will no longer be the voice of Mario, with him now being Mario Ambassador.

I am curious if the recast voice would make its way to future Smash titles… or if they continue using Mario’s Brawl performance (also applies to Luigi, Wario, Dr. Mario, and Waluigi)

A rare case of conspiracy theorists being right. They probably decided to get ahead of the speculation for whenever we get more news on Wonder (likely in a September Direct). Still, at least they did something special for him. He deserves it.

DynamicSmasher

Smash Cadet

If the next game is an Ultimate Deluxe, then maybe. They might not see it as worth it to go back and change all of his voice files. If it's a new game from the ground up, then almost certainly. It would be something of a "New Era" thing like how Link became BOTW Link instead of having his traditional fit. I just wonder if he's going to be in Wonder.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Everyone has their time and moment. Charles has voiced Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi and possibly other characters for years since Mario 64 ( June 23, 1996 ). It is sad for him to retire, but his age is starting to show on his performance.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Some believe or hope that a Nintendo Cinematic Universe is possible while others believe it is impossible and the latter is about some characters like Mario looking too cartoonish while others like Link are for a more mature audience. But if we take as an example the Kingdom Hearts series which is a collaboration between Square Enix and The Walt Disney Company where characters such as Mickey Mouse, Donald and Goofy who are cartoons meet characters from the Final Fantasy franchise, The World Ends With You, and Einhänder which are more mature, I would then say that a Nintendo Cinematic Universe is not too impossible to happen.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Yeah, it’s a shame but I hope he can enjoy his well deserved retirement. I mentioned this rumor months ago after the Nintendo direct that reviled Super Mario Wonder. Arlo brought up that Mario and other characters voiced by Martinet sounded very different and were likely new actors. I’m glad to hear that nothing bad happened to him and he just wanted to retire.

Top Bottom