• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Sora is possibly the hardest character to obtain on the roster.

That said, it's happened already, which is a huge boon, and he's quite literally the winner of the ballot. Nintendo will want him back.
I think this might be a tiny bit overblown tbh.

As far as i can tell Disney licensed product arent THAT hard to grab, they are just mostly particular with how their IP's are repped, they're main demand being that characters be as accurate to the source as possible, which Smash already does.

(This is what ruined Marvel vs capcom since Disney insisted on having the game be completely accurate to the MCU.)

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I decided to try my hand at making a Smash 6 roster:
View attachment 376103

• Yu - Persona's explosion in popularity since the release of 5 and Joker's insane popularity as a character in Ultimate definitely justifies getting a second Persona character. Yu seems like the most obvious edition, being the protagonist of the most popular entry in the series behind 5. Plus, while Joker focused on Persona's dichotomous gameplay system through alternating between a resource-gathering phase and a combat-focused phase, Yu could represent Persona's combat systems by augmenting his attacks through switching through a handful of Persona (probably Izanagi, Jack Frost, and Jack O' Lantern for a electric-ice-fire trio).
  • Makoto was added to represent the three Persona games that Atlus loves to promote and to promote the Persona 3 remake. He would swap Jack O'Latern for Orpheus and Izanagi for Pixie respectively.
3 Persona reps before an SMT rep is equally sad and believable... Mind you, I'd be happy to get Makoto as a playable character at some point.

And for the Disney stuff, I think they probably aren't that hard to negotiate with, but will ask for a lot - that wouldn't be a problem for something like mvc, since they're the only company capcom has to pay for rights (and Sony for spiderman if that was a thing then), meanwhile for smash the budget's already spread so thin on other companies, I can imagine that much money for one character not being that appealing.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
A bit late to the conversation, but on the note of Pokemon if Gen 9 does get skipped over for 10 in terms of a playable character, I at least want it to pull a Gen 5 and get a stage. It has a number of good spots for a stage idea, and Area Zero in particular, like the Unova Pokemon League for Gen 5, is one of the most memorable areas and moments in Pokemon. It would lend so well to a stage in Smash between the scenery, the descent into the lower areas and the lab, and of course the Paradox Pokemon, and it'd be a shame for that potential to be skipped over.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Actually Eevee itself already could fit the bill as a somewhat "surprising" Pokémon pick in that it's a mon that a lot of people probably wouldn't immediately think of as "fighter." And it's got a lot of merit and popularity behind it.
You probably wouldn't be able to work all the evolutions into a moveset but they could be represented with alt costumes (to be clear, just palette swap references not actual separate models) and the Final Smash.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
3 Persona reps before an SMT rep is equally sad and believable... Mind you, I'd be happy to get Makoto as a playable character at some point.

And for the Disney stuff, I think they probably aren't that hard to negotiate with, but will ask for a lot - that wouldn't be a problem for something like mvc, since they're the only company capcom has to pay for rights (and Sony for spiderman if that was a thing then), meanwhile for smash the budget's already spread so thin on other companies, I can imagine that much money for one character not being that appealing.
Yeah, this may be...

The most depressing newcomer list I've seen in my life.

No bias of course.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sora is possibly the hardest character to obtain on the roster.

That said, it's happened already, which is a huge boon, and he's quite literally the winner of the ballot. Nintendo will want him back.
i dunno, steve taking five years to get in would suggest he is

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, if we were counting spirits then we'd also have Kyle Hyde and Ashley Robbins.
I dunno why we wouldn't count Spirits. They're part of the game.

It's "celebration of gaming" not "celebration of gaming as playable characters".

Was Konami just not asked back for 4? Did they refuse? How likely do you think their return is?
As likely as Nintendo's willingness to pay. Konami will license out anything these days.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Actually Eevee itself already could fit the bill as a somewhat "surprising" Pokémon pick in that it's a mon that a lot of people probably wouldn't immediately think of as "fighter." And it's got a lot of merit and popularity behind it.
You probably wouldn't be able to work all the evolutions into a moveset but they could be represented with alt costumes (to be clear, just palette swap references not actual separate models) and the Final Smash.
Not really sold on Eevee as a fighter.

But it is worth mentioning Eevee does have eeveelution themed outfits in Let's Go Eevee you you really want to go out on the alts.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Not really sold on Eevee as a fighter.

But it is worth mentioning Eevee does have eeveelution themed outfits in Let's Go Eevee you you really want to go out on the alts.
I imagine Eevee's fighting style as "playfully messing with its opponent."

Pestering them with Swift projectiles and Sand Attacks, taking them off-guard with its Baby-Doll Eyes (which could act like a brief stun move or something). I'm sure people can come up with creative ways to incorporate stuff like Baton Pass or Tail Whip. Not sure if there is a way to do a luring move like Charm, Fake Tears, or Facade. Last Resort would probably be incorporated in some way.
More generic things like Quick Attack, Take Down, or Double-Edge give it plenty of lateral rushing and mobility options. It has a several moves like Rest, Dig, Skull Bash, Hyper Voice, Double Team, Substitute, and Rage that may not be necessary to its kit but are options nonetheless.
I've seen lots of movesets focused around the Let's Go partner-exclusive moves if that's your fancy.
And of course you can also fill out the moveset with some made-up moves that still fit the theme of playful pestering and general cuteness, as Eevee has plenty of personality to pull from.

This is obviously not a full-on moveset concept or anything, just a back-of-the-napkin listing of several of its move options.

Also it's a quadruped if you're into that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I dunno why we wouldn't count Spirits. They're part of the game.

It's "celebration of gaming" not "celebration of gaming as playable characters".

As likely as Nintendo's willingness to pay. Konami will license out anything these days.
And in general I agree! I was just responding to the post in the way they wrote it, ie what's missing "major"/interactive content.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah this was my point, spirits are cool and all but most people dont really pay attention to them compared to main games stages or characters or even a piece of music
God can you imagine the riot if we ONLY got Castlevania music? Unless it was all from SotN then ok.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I think Pokemon is dealing with the growing pains it has had and is looking at solutions for keeping the games up to standard. Combine that with them probably wanting a game for their 30th anniversary, I could see us getting Gen X then.
The question is, how will they go about fixing the issue? Will they just hire more people and hope for the best? Get help from another studio like ILCA? Will they be desperate enough to actually, gasp, give Game Freak more time?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The question is, how will they go about fixing the issue? Will they just hire more people and hope for the best? Get help from another studio like ILCA? Will they be desperate enough to actually, gasp, give Game Freak more time?
"But if we hire more people we will go beyond 151 people in the building!! We cant have that!!"
-Gamefreak probably.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, what do you guys think of the Persona's status in Smash? It's rather well represented, even if it could fit P2 somewhere in there. There isn't any issue with the content there, it just needs more. I'm not sure what a good Persona AT would be though. If Joker stays a character, would it be a P5 character? Would they use the opportunity to represent another Persona game?

And perhaps the elephant in the room... Even though Joker is a really popular inclusion, I think Persona is one of the third parties most at risk of being cut in the next game. Joker's inclusion, while earth shaking, relied more on timing then most inclusions. It's almost like the Smash team took advantage of Persona 5's huge momentum. Now that Persona 5's momentum has slowed down, can Persona and Joker stay on their own merits? The franchise is major enough to be included for sure, and its not like Persona stopped being popular or successful. But its not an industry mainstay like Sonic, Street Fighter or Final Fantasy. It doesn't have ties to Nintendo like Mega Man, Banjo Kazooie or Bayonetta. I'm also not sure how easy Atlus is to work with. They didn't approve literally everything like SNK did and their relationship with Nintendo isn't obvious. Being owned by Sega helps, as Sega seems in it for the long haul.

:ultjokeralt:I just can't shake the feeling that Joker might be in trouble. :ultjoker:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, what do you guys think of the Persona's status in Smash? It's rather well represented, even if it could fit P2 somewhere in there. There isn't any issue with the content there, it just needs more. I'm not sure what a good Persona AT would be though. If Joker stays a character, would it be a P5 character? Would they use the opportunity to represent another Persona game?
I think the most obvious inclusion would be Spirits from previous games, as well as more music. I think we can at least get more tracks from spin-offs and the first three games, although I'm not sure how they'd handle the look of Mementos if they do that.

A good Persona AT might be Futaba, as she's the only Phantom Thief who doesn't appear in Mementos. If they want to represent other games, Elizabeth, Aigis, Yu or Teddie would be good choices, among others.

And perhaps the elephant in the room... Even though Joker is a really popular inclusion, I think Persona is one of the third parties most at risk of being cut in the next game. Joker's inclusion, while earth shaking, relied more on timing then most inclusions. It's almost like the Smash team took advantage of Persona 5's huge momentum. Now that Persona 5's momentum has slowed down, can Persona and Joker stay on their own merits? The franchise is major enough to be included for sure, and its not like Persona stopped being popular or successful. But its not an industry mainstay like Sonic, Street Fighter or Final Fantasy. It doesn't have ties to Nintendo like Mega Man, Banjo Kazooie or Bayonetta. I'm also not sure how easy Atlus is to work with. They didn't approve literally everything like SNK did and their relationship with Nintendo isn't obvious. Being owned by Sega helps, as Sega seems in it for the long haul.

:ultjokeralt:I just can't shake the feeling that Joker might be in trouble. :ultjoker:
It can go both ways.

Joker is definitely smaller than most other third parties in Smash and if the next game has a smaller cast, there's a good chance he might be left behind. However, I'm not worried about ATLUS. If anything, they're more than happy to lend the Persona license to other companies, as seen by the number of crossover appearances Joker alone made and how many Persona spin-offs are actually collaboration projects with other companies. They also seem to have a good relationship with Nintendo as evidenced by how many Persona games are coming to Switch lately and how SMT V is straight-up published by the Big N in PAL regions.

One might make a case for P6 overshadowing P5, hence making Joker seem redundant in hindsight but it's too early to make that kind of claim.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If Sakurai stays as head of smash,
Which he will because of course he will,
Joker stays for the rest of every smash ever.

He is insanely in love with that game, even moreso than his babies Kirby and KIU, and I think he will only ever change his stance on it MAYBE if he likes P6 more... and even then I think he'd rather put multiple persona protags in than kill his fav.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If Sakurai stays as head of smash,
Which he will because of course he will,
Joker stays for the rest of every smash ever.

He is insanely in love with that game, even moreso than his babies Kirby and KIU, and I think he will only ever change his stance on it MAYBE if he likes P6 more... and even then I think he'd rather put multiple persona protags in than kill his fav.
I was going to ask how SMT fans are handling Joker's inclusion in Smash 5 years later but I think I got my answer.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

ATLUS and Nintendo have a great relationship, so I'd be surprised if they weren't represented in the next game, and P5's so popular I can't see them cutting Joker in favour of anyone.

For the assist trophy I've thought for a while it should be Igor summoning persona using either tarot cards or the bone phone. Although if we got an SMT character (I can dream), that'd have to be their gimmick, so I'm not sure. If SMT wasn't represented with a character Jack Frost (or the jack bros doing their P3 fusion spell) would be nice.

Beyond that, it not having anything from 1&2 (Igor uses his P5 art and Aria of the Soul is based on its P3 version) is my biggest issue, but there being nothing from 3FES/Portable, or any spinoffs (other than 1 spirit) feels off.

If Joker returns I'd expect some stuff from P5S and P3Re at least though.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m really happy that Joker made it into Smash but his moveset isn’t really what I was hoping to see. I really wanted him to be a summoner type character that used various different Personas for his specials. What they ended up going for instead works too but is a bit less exciting. I’m not nearly as familiar with SMT as I am Persona but maybe an SMT character could go with that. I know both series use the same monsters so that could work. I still need to get around to trying SMT V. It looks good but I have such a big backlog already that I’m not sure when I’ll find the time.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I think they put themselves into a corner by making the logo for Persona specifically a P5 related symbol instead of something generic like with Final fantasy.

Because now it would look awkward if we ever got Yu in smash, which would make perfect sense for a second Persona rep if they ever did that, since Persona 4 is considered one of the greatest RPG's of all time.

I think them being a Sega character and Sega being a main part of Smash at this point helps for Persona to come back.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think they put themselves into a corner by making the logo for Persona specifically a P5 related symbol instead of something generic like with Final fantasy.

Because now it would look awkward if we ever got Yu in smash, which would make perfect sense for a second Persona rep if they ever did that, since Persona 4 is considered one of the greatest RPG's of all time.

I think them being a Sega character and Sega being a main part of Smash at this point helps for Persona to come back.
they could change the symbol

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was going to ask how SMT fans are handling Joker's inclusion in Smash 5 years later but I think I got my answer.
Not sure what exactly this has to do with Persona's likelihood in Smash but I would appreciate less backhanded statements like this, thanks.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
saw AT idea talk earlier and i may be late but... who'd you prefer as an Assist Trophy for Tekken and FF7?

I'd say maybe Alisa Bosconovitch or Kuma for Tekken, and Cait Sith with Slots and the possibility for Joker Death which insta KO's everybody on field Aerith for FF7 with Healing Wind. bonus points for the lulz - ONLY Sephiroth can KO her :secretkpop:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
saw AT idea talk earlier and i may be late but... who'd you prefer as an Assist Trophy for Tekken and FF7?

I'd say maybe Alisa Bosconovitch or Kuma for Tekken, and Cait Sith with Slots and the possibility for Joker Death which insta KO's everybody on field Aerith for FF7 with Healing Wind. bonus points for the lulz - ONLY Sephiroth can KO her :secretkpop:
This reply is assuming they were added to Ultimate’s base game.

For Tekken, I’d say Heihachi; for FF7, Tifa.

osby

Smash Obsessed

If I had to pick the most fitting characters for the role: Xiaoyu and Tifa.

Lili and Barret, if we're going from pure bias.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I’m really happy that Joker made it into Smash but his moveset isn’t really what I was hoping to see. I really wanted him to be a summoner type character that used various different Personas for his specials. What they ended up going for instead works too but is a bit less exciting. I’m not nearly as familiar with SMT as I am Persona but maybe an SMT character could go with that. I know both series use the same monsters so that could work. I still need to get around to trying SMT V. It looks good but I have such a big backlog already that I’m not sure when I’ll find the time.
I've said this before but I think Joker's moveset really does not require this type of summoning. That type of combat is associated with indirect combat users and while it it is somewhat accurate to how fights play out in Persona, it does not represent the "fantasy" or "feeling" of the character- being a fast thief that slips around people.

Moreover, using just his personal Persona solidies his unique identity, having it perform exclusively for him and with his own custom elemental effects as opposed to Joker using designs from decades before his time.

If I could perhaps change anything about his moveset, it would be giving Arsene more autonomy instead of tying it to his back, but I can see why they went with this.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I don’t know a lot of Tekken characters but I’ve always been a fan of Eddie Gordo. He could be fun with his capoeira fighting style. My favorite Final Fantasy VII character after Sephiroth is Vincent Valentine. He’s got a lot of interesting abilities that could make for a good assist trophy but I think pretty much any of the cast could work really well.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Speaking of the symbols in this series, i wonder if Kingdom hearts's symbol is a result of them not being able to use any other symbols from the series.

The crown on Sora's necklace isnt exactly the icon i think of when i think of Kingdom hearts, i would think the heart on the franchise's logo would have made more sense.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of the symbols in this series, i wonder if Kingdom hearts's symbol is a result of them not being able to use any other symbols from the series.

The crown on Sora's necklace isnt exactly the icon i think of when i think of Kingdom hearts, i would think the heart on the franchise's logo would have made more sense.
yes I would have thought they’d go with that as well. but I don’t think they wouldn’t have been allowed

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Mega Man’s Smash logo is a bit odd as well. I would have thought his helmet would have made more sense than a gear.

Something like this from evilwaluigi on Deviantart:

1692202898596.png

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Ehhhhhh, I think the crown symbol works well enough for Kingdom Hearts. It's the necklace that Sora wears, and the Kingdom Key's teeth, and the fade-in symbol for Hollow Bastion in KH2. It works fine, honestly a little better than the curled heart.

Mega Man's symbol really should have been the helmet though.

Also, relevant jan misali video:

1692203813487.png

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Smash Wiki tells me that it's mostly a symbol associated with Mega Man in Japan:

View attachment 376211
Interesting. I wasn’t really aware of that. Thanks for the info.

Another series that has kind of a disappointing icon is Final Fantasy. I feel like a crystal would have been more interesting than just the letters FF.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Interesting. I wasn’t really aware of that. Thanks for the info.

Another series that has kind of a disappointing icon is Final Fantasy. I feel like a crystal would have been more interesting than just the letters FF.
Well, you know how SE can be with their FFs...

Top Bottom