• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
that’s exactly what it is
Yeah, he’s kind of a hybrid between his design in the young Link and adult Link timelines in Ocarina of Time. He’s got the shorter hair from the past and the red cape from the future. HW Ganondorf looks to be largely based on his Twilight Princess design. His armor is very similar with added details like fur and red cape around his waist (not sure the exact name for those). The biggest difference is his long hair rather than TP’s shorter braided hair.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, he’s kind of a hybrid between his design in the young Link and adult Link timelines in Ocarina of Time. He’s got the shorter hair from the past and the red cape from the future. HW Ganondorf looks to be largely based on his Twilight Princess design. His armor is very similar with added details like fur and red cape around his waist (not sure the exact name for those). The biggest difference is his long hair rather than TP’s shorter braided hair.
i thought you meant his smash design

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i thought you meant his smash design
Sorry for being a bit vague. What I was trying to say was that his Smash Ultimate design combines elements from his two designs in Ocarina of Time (the hairstyle from young Link’s timeline and cape from adult Link’s timeline). So he doesn’t ever have this exact appearance at any point in OoT since it merges the two.

My point on Hyrule Warriors was a separate but somewhat related subject where he is basically a modified Twilight Princess design with added detail to the armor and a different hairstyle. Similarly, Impa from HW looks to be a modified design from her Skyward Sword appearance. Hope that made more sense.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sorry for being a bit vague. What I was trying to say was that his Smash Ultimate design combines elements from his two designs in Ocarina of Time (the hairstyle from young Link’s timeline and cape from adult Link’s timeline). So he doesn’t ever have this exact appearance at any point in OoT since it merges the two.

My point on Hyrule Warriors was a separate but somewhat related subject where he is basically a modified Twilight Princess design with added detail to the armor and a different hairstyle. Similarly, Impa from HW looks to be a modified design from her Skyward Sword appearance. Hope that made more sense.
i always took impa as a combo between Oot and SS as she looks like the SS design but with the colours of the Oot design. well maybe not exactly. as for ganondorf the idea i got was they were trying to connect to demise more, hence the hair

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i always took impa as a combo between Oot and SS as she looks like the SS design but with the colours of the Oot design. well maybe not exactly. as for ganondorf the idea i got was they were trying to connect to demise more, hence the hair
Yeah, that’s possible. I never made that connection to Demise. I just thought they just went with that hairstyle because it looked cool. It does have some resemblance to Demise but also a longer version of Ganondorf’s long hair in the adult Link timeline in OoT.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Interestingly, Demon King Ganondorf in TotK pretty much looks like HW Ganondorf, only without the armor.

Honestly, I think my favorite Ganondorf is actually TP Ganondorf. He just looks like a king in control and it's great.
With a big ol' glowing hole in his chest as a reminder of how not a king in control he is...

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
A recurring NPC (based on Stephen Hawking) in SMT, who developed the Demon Summoning Program and appears in most mainline games in varying levels of importance.

I likened him to Anna because while he has more appearances under his belt than any singular protagonist, nobody would try to argue that he's a mascot character or should be prioritized over them in crossovers.
he is my wanted SMT rep for smash just the thought of fighting with someone on a wheel chair has rarely ever been done in a fighting game lol
Yeah i really love what they did with Zelda in Ultimate where each character is puled from a different part of the franchise's history, though personally i would have prefered they keep Ganondorf's Twilight princess look, because Sheik already reps Ocarina of time so its weird to have two reps from that game.
honestly I am pretty disappointed that Ganondorf and Zelda lost their TP there was no reason to not keep them as alt skin just like how we have 2 version of Ike with different voices

Ivander

Smash Legend
honestly I am pretty disappointed that Ganondorf and Zelda lost their TP there was no reason to not keep them as alt skin just like how we have 2 version of Ike with different voices
As far as we know, both of their issues are likely height issues for why they don't have their TP Alts, especially in Zelda's case as TP Zelda is one of the tallest Zeldas. Ganondorf might not be, but part of why he may be taller is because of his posture being more straightened compared to TP Ganondorf.

And yes, I know Smash Bros. isn't exactly accurate with heights, with Ridley being in(even when he's hunched over and can be argued he's closer to his NES Metroid size) and with Chrom's case where he is supposed to be noticeably taller than Lucina, but it shouldn't be a standard to ignore height in favor of getting more characters/alternate costumes in.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
he is my wanted SMT rep for smash just the thought of fighting with someone on a wheel chair has rarely ever been done in a fighting game lol

I agree they should all be alts. I personally preferred Zelda’s and Shiek’s Brawl design (TP/TP concept art), Ganondorf’s Ultimate design and Link’s Melee design (both OoT). I think the best way to let everyone play with their favorite versions of the characters is to give them all alts based on their appearance in each game.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
The actual reason Stephen should be in Smash is that he'd come with one of the best final boss themes in gaming:

And for the zelda costume stuff, I feel like ultimate did it pretty much perfectly, representing loads of different eras and styles of the series. The music on the other hand...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The actual reason Stephen should be in Smash is that he'd come with one of the best final boss themes in gaming:

And for the zelda costume stuff, I feel like ultimate did it pretty much perfectly, representing loads of different eras and styles of the series. The music on the other hand...
Yeah, I can agree that this was a great approach in general if we were only getting one incarnation at a time. I did get my favorite version of Ganondorf so I can’t really complain. I agree about the music though. It’s a real shame we didn’t get anything from Hyrule Warriors. That game had a killer soundtrack.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
FYI , Adult Link is not real. There has never been an adult Link. There is young child link & teenage Link. He has never been 18 years or older,

Yeah, that’s possible. I never made that connection to Demise. I just thought they just went with that hairstyle because it looked cool. It does have some resemblance to Demise but also a longer version of Ganondorf’s long hair in the adult Link timeline in OoT.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

for me its more than that like Stephen is one of the strongest character in fiction and the fact he travel many universes and end up reaching smash universe would be interesting because he wants to be entertained and be tested by the best fighters in smash just like he did in SMT4 by bringing protagnist from multiple universes he can be both boss and playable

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
for me its more than that like Stephen is one of the strongest character in fiction and the fact he travel many universes and end up reaching smash universe would be interesting because he wants to be entertained and be tested by the best fighters in smash just like he did in SMT4 by bringing protagnist from multiple universes he can be both boss and playable
I mean, I can't really see him working in Smash? When I played the dlc it was more that he was interested in your strength than actually wanting to be entertained. And having an SMT rep that doesn't summon demons in combat (even though he probably could) would just be wrong. And then he has basically no moveset potential beyond generic almighty magic, and nothing physical.

Ironically, the Demi-Fiend seems to have that role in most games now, since he's a superboss in DDS, Imagine and V, and in V is pretty clearly just testing the protagonist.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
FYI , Adult Link is not real. There has never been an adult Link. There is young child link & teenage Link. He has never been 18 years or older,
This is actually wrong now as of TotK. Even ignoring the 1000 year stasis, Link is 17 in BotW, and TotK takes place between two and five years after (the exact amount relies on theory but it's at the very least two years). So he's at the very least 19 (1019 if you want to be funny) in TotK.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly a middle aged or old man Link interacting with a young version would be interesting. The aforementioned example is cool but an extended interaction with between an experienced and tired Hero of Time vs an energetic one could make for a fascinating dynamic.

Laniv

Smash Champion
This is actually wrong now as of TotK. Even ignoring the 1000 year stasis, Link is 17 in BotW, and TotK takes place between two and five years after (the exact amount relies on theory but it's at the very least two years). So he's at the very least 19 (1019 if you want to be funny) in TotK.
Sorry if this is splitting hairs, but wasn't his little nap in BotW 100 years?

Also are we only counting main Zelda games, cause I'm pretty sure HW Link was over 17. Could be wrong about that, though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Also are we only counting main Zelda games, cause I'm pretty sure HW Link was over 17. Could be wrong about that, though.
Lmao yeah that's my mistake. Something made me think it was 1000 for a minute instead of 100.

Still!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
am I the only one who doesn’t like how food item were introduced in smash?
Like they just took picture of irl food instead of making it based video game kind of food
I mean, I can't really see him working in Smash? When I played the dlc it was more that he was interested in your strength than actually wanting to be entertained. And having an SMT rep that doesn't summon demons in combat (even though he probably could) would just be wrong. And then he has basically no moveset potential beyond generic almighty magic, and nothing physical.

Ironically, the Demi-Fiend seems to have that role in most games now, since he's a superboss in DDS, Imagine and V, and in V is pretty clearly just testing the protagonist.
Stephen isn’t likely the first choice for SMT rep probably since no demons stuff which is the main theme of SMT but generally seeing someone who fight in a wheelchair would be entertaining

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
am I the only one who doesn’t like how food item were introduced in smash?
Like they just took picture of irl food instead of making it based video game kind of food
600px-UltimateFood.png

FoodTrophyWiiU.png

VariousFood.jpg

Food_Melee_Trophy.png

I mean they're not exactly real looking anymore than any number of other games that have food items, especially considering Kirby also has food...

Kirby64Food.png

Hmm now I'm hungry

images (12).jpeg

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

alright you lot, time to listen to the king of the fans. now link's actually age is rarely given. HH says the link from the original game is 10 and in the adventure of link is 16. OoT he is 9 and 16 respectively. i believe in an interview anouma said the TP incarnation was 17. beyond that we have no confirmation so any of his older counter parts could be over 20 as the only thing we have to go on is appearance, not a good indicator in this style, and random bits of info like it saying you had to be at least 17 to climb one of the mountains. we don't even know if he's the same ages as zelda most of the time

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I agree they should all be alts. I personally preferred Zelda’s and Shiek’s Brawl design (TP/TP concept art), Ganondorf’s Ultimate design and Link’s Melee design (both OoT). I think the best way to let everyone play with their favorite versions of the characters is to give them all alts based on their appearance in each game.
Basically this:
1691489716577.jpeg

I really have to do something like this for Toon link too!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I agree, Brawl's selection of first party newcomers was the last time in this series where i felt this was a gathering of Nintendo's biggest names.

After that point in smash 4 and Ultimate the Nintendo characters we got felt kinda... lower key? Not sure how else to put it, the first three Smash games felt like they were filling out the roster with the "Mainstay" Nintendo icons but by the time 4 and Ultimate roll around it feels like were running low on those.
I really hope Nintendo doesn't ignore their 'less-popular' 1st parties going forward. I've more than made peace with 3rd parties for some time now, but I really hope they don't totally overshadow them to the point that Nintendo just doesn't care about their own content in Smash anymore.

Granted, I'm that weird one that far-and-away gets hyped for the most obscure of Nintendo's catalogue, so...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Basically this:
View attachment 375770
I really have to do something like this for Toon link too!
Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. I think that would be the best way to do it. The only slight potential issue is the fact that three of them wear green tunics so you’d be missing out on his other colors. What I’d love to see is a color editor along side this where you can change the colors of each outfit and basically make your own palate swaps. There would likely be some limitations with third party characters but I could accept that. Like Pac-Man, for example, we might only be able to change the colors of his boots and arm bands like his actual alts do rather than change his body to a different color.

I really hope Nintendo doesn't ignore their 'less-popular' 1st parties going forward. I've more than made peace with 3rd parties for some time now, but I really hope they don't totally overshadow them to the point that Nintendo just doesn't care about their own content in Smash anymore.

Granted, I'm that weird one that far-and-away gets hyped for the most obscure of Nintendo's catalogue, so...
Yeah, I think it would be best to get a mix of a bunch of different kinds of characters and it shouldn’t be solely based on sales. Some of Nintendo’s niche characters like Mach Rider or the Amazon could be a lot of fun. I’d like to see the same with third parties and get a few smaller IP’s with a history with Nintendo along with a few heavy hitters. As long as the character has a cool design and/or looks fun to play, I’ll be happy even if I’m not overly familiar with them personally.

Last edited:
Top Bottom