• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm a bit late on the topic, but regarding Dee being considered or not to be part of the roster based in how playable or important he is in games and how many of them... I instantly think it is silly to even analyze it in such way, when we get a freaking random mario enemy over someone like Waluigi or anyone else in the franchise who you can actually play as in games and have actually have fans behind them.

So in conclusion... I doubt we can really tell the logic (or lack of it) behind a character getting in based off such things (off topic, relevance as a factor also died the moment banjo and king k rool joined), when we have the nonsense of PP happening over any other more important/relevant/whatever mario character, lol.

At this point i think it's a combination of fan demand and 50/50 luck on whatever nintendo goes with.
I think Piranha Plant is more of an exception or an anomaly to the arguments. Obviously it was meant to be that “surprise character” Sakurai always talks about so in that way it makes sense.

Let’s not forget the most popular Mario Smash Request at the time, Bowser Jr., and another incredibly popular Mario character, Rosalina, made it into the last game.

Piranha Plant is definitely an oddball and is not necessarily symbolic of any specific mind-set being debunked.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Until we actually see Sylux in action and get some more info on them, Raven Beak is certainly the better rep.
  • For one, Metroid Dread definitely deserves some content due to being the long awaited Metroid 5 that was released, received very positively and is the best selling Metroid since Metroid Prime.
  • Besides being the main villain of Metroid Dread, Raven Beak's actions were the catalyst to the main Metroid series' story, with his refusal to destroy SR388 and the Metroids on it resulting in Mother Brain's attempt in capturing and forcefully creating more Metroids and in Samus' task in destroying the Metroids on SR388, which would result in her meeting the baby Metroid and allow the X to rise up in numbers.
  • He's a Chozo, probably the most important race in Metroid lore and to Samus herself. He himself also has a connection to Samus through his Mawkin Chozo DNA being given to her.
  • A lot of move potential from his battle in Dread, between his own Power Suit with armored claws and talons, wings for flying, shockwaves, black homing spheres, summoning a giant sun-like orb that releases it's own waves of energy and firing and using his Power Laser like a sword.
I think it makes alot of sense why Raven Beak is decently popular and why quite a bunch voiced their want for him to appear in Smash Bros. after Metroid Dread had come out.
You forgot the most important part, the slick bird straight up looks like omnimon! :grin:

1687821483845.png
omnimon.png

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I think Piranha Plant is more of an exception or an anomaly to the arguments. Obviously it was meant to be that “surprise character” Sakurai always talks about so in that way it makes sense.

Let’s not forget the most popular Mario Smash Request at the time, Bowser Jr., and another incredibly popular Mario character, Rosalina, made it into the last game.

Piranha Plant is definitely an oddball and is not necessarily symbolic of any specific mind-set being debunked.
I mean, I agree to some degree, but I also believe one odd ball is enough to question any pattern or mind set or logic out there from being consistent enough to follow in every case. My point was, it might not debunk how we think characters get in, but we gotta take in consideration what nintendo is capable of doing simply because they can, specifically with 1st party characters. I think Dee's chances are as good as any, and I'm not even a supporter of the character myself.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That reminded me of a time during the Brawl days that I told a friend that I would love to see Cloud Strife in Smash Bros someday, little did I know during the Wii-U/3DS era, it finally happened.
Deadass the day when Joker was announced for Ultimate i was having a conversation with a friend of mine and he mentioned "I'd like to see Persona stuff in smash at some point." and i responded with "Yeah that'll be the day." and then that night you know the rest.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I can see a whole Direct being themed around DK tbh. A new game, DK Movie, and the new Mario Kart racers being Diddy, Funky and Dixie are a thing I envision quite clearly with this last Direct.

Maybe not a whole Direct though cause obviously I think Tears of the Kingdom will get DLC too, but you know, it could vd saved for all these events being put together.
This seems like the kind of thing Nintendo might do in efforts to really reignite the IP again, which I think they have the intentions of doing.

The only problem is I don't think these things are all going to lineup timeframe-wise for a Direct. The MK racers have to be revealed before the last wave, which means it would have to be this year (I'm assuming this is it for MK8 DLC, which I believe). Also keep in mind there's likely only two racers left.

And the DK game isn't coming out this year. If their plans are a release next H1 on Switch, a reveal this year seems possible, but actually delving into the game like they do in dedicated Directs would only happen closer to release. If H1 on Switch isn't the plan, probably no reveal this year. Similarly with the movie, maybe they give an update later this year, but it seems too early for much past that.

That said, next year seems possible for a DK Direct, minus the MK8 stuff. Who knows, there are rumors the next MK is more of a crossover type deal, maybe they can showcase an even bigger DK presence than MK8 would get. And we'd be closer to the DK expansion of the theme park being showable. Maybe, if we're lucky, we could even get DK64 and DKR on the NSO.

I had thought of something with the new Donkey Kong game, they could put enemies inspired by Australian animals that are a mercenary faction and their leader is a Tasmanian devil. I was also inspired by this thought when I remembered the Mortal Kombat Legends: Snow Blind movie where Kano was the main villain who is also Australian like the main Mortal Kombat games have him. Although I would like King K. Rool to return.
Funny, considering that whole cancelled DK game that Vicarious Visions was making.

You know, I saw someone say on Discord think that Sakurai may not do another Smash because Ultimate would be hard to top, something along those lines. I understand Sakurai perhaps not wanting to do another Smash, but for that reason?

I know he said "Everyone is here" probably won't happen again, but still, would that be a reason for him to not do another Smash Bros. game? I personally think that is not why he would not make another Smash Bros. game.
Ultimate would be a good place for Sakurai to step back in terms of hands-on development, but he's going to remain involved to some extent. Now, it's possible nothing changes in his role, but at this point a gradual recession into a supervisory position that guides development and helps negotiate with the different parties and broker cooperation seems more likely than in the past.

I agree that Sakurai wouldn't make a sequel for that reason, but I also distinctly recall that one of the big reasons for him making Ultimate was because it was the last request he ever got from Satoru Iwata before he passed. I may be recalling a bit of info wrong, but it always painted a picture in my mind that it was that wish that made Sakurai go as hard as he did to put some sort of final nail in the series.
I've heard this suggested, but I think Ultimate ended up as it did because using Smash 4 and bringing back the veterans for base would allow for the game to be out sooner, which was the goal given how they wanted the Switch on the market, with the AAA IPs, asap.

Maybe Sakurai saw fulfilling Iwata's wish as further motivation, but I think the finished product would be similar regardless.

Not to downplay the bond between Sakurai and Iwata, because that's both the only reason Smash exists, and the main reason it didn't end after Melee (ports aside), but I think Sakurai went as hard as he did for Ultimate first and foremost just because he's Sakurai, and by his nature he goes so much harder than he ever has to. The man exercises while gaming and watching tv, and gives himself an IV drip while playing multiple characters at once. He's insane.

I think Sakurai's complete love and dedication for Smash (and the skill therein) is the main reason it's so hard for competitors to make a dent. Though, to be fair, Smash is only as unbelievable as it is, in terms of who and how much it adds, because of the significant budget Nintendo grants Sakurai, because of the faith they have in his ability and vision. And that started with Iwata.

I'm a bit late on the topic, but regarding Dee being considered or not to be part of the roster based in how playable or important he is in games and how many of them... I instantly think it is silly to even analyze it in such way, when we get a freaking random mario enemy over someone like Waluigi or anyone else in the franchise who you can actually play as in games and have actually have fans behind them.

So in conclusion... I doubt we can really tell the logic (or lack of it) behind a character getting in based off such things (off topic, relevance as a factor also died the moment banjo and king k rool joined), when we have the nonsense of PP happening over any other more important/relevant/whatever mario character, lol.
While I disagree with the idea that BWD isn't playable/important enough, I also don't think PP is license to throw away those kind of ideas. It reinforces Smash's unpredictability, but it doesn't totally invalidate factors that do generally matter. If they didn't, PP wouldn't be such an exception.

It's not black and white, where a factor either prevents everyone or doesn't exist. If importance within a series didn't matter, character representation wouldn't regularly take the most important characters in the series. Exceptions exist occasionally, but if they were routine, they wouldn't be exceptions.

Like, irrelevance didn't die the moment Banjo and K. Rool joined. Not being current absolutely hurts characters' chances (first-parties, at least), it's just sometimes characters have enough other things in their favor to overcome that hurdle. It took K. Rool probably being the most popular first-party newcomer on the Smash ballot to get himself included. Not being current did make it harder for him, he just had enough demand to surmount the hindrance.

K. Rool getting in doesn't mean suddenly the fact that Golden Sun hasn't had a game in thirteen years no longer works against Isaac's favor.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
When the best argument that can be mustered against Bandana Waddle Dee is "It's weird that he's not in yet, so Sakurai may not like him", that says how strong of a position he's in.

He's the most popular First Party after Waluigi worldwide. He's the most popular First Party period in Japan. He has continued to grow in prominence in his home series for over a decade now, being solidified as Kirby's number 2 for the second entry in a row now. His home series has recently reached a new height in terms of critical and commercial success. He's effectively got a prepackaged moveset that is perfect for Smash. He wears a bandana.

He's the only newcomer outside of Waluigi and Octoling that I am 100% confident will be in the next Smash.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
When the best argument that can be mustered against Bandana Waddle Dee is "It's weird that he's not in yet, so Sakurai may not like him", that says how strong of a position he's in.

He's the most popular First Party after Waluigi worldwide. He's the most popular First Party period in Japan. He has continued to grow in prominence in his home series for over a decade now, being solidified as Kirby's number 2 for the second entry in a row now. His home series has recently reached a new height in terms of critical and commercial success. He's effectively got a prepackaged moveset that is perfect for Smash. He wears a bandana.

He's the only newcomer outside of Waluigi and Octoling that I am 100% confident will be in the next Smash.
If Bandana Dee is really all that guaranteed, how come we haven't used his eventual inclusion as a means to predict what else could be added with him? He's in a similar position to Toad, and people aren't shy of branching away for other Mario candidates. Yet I feel like people are using Dee's chances as a means to diminish any other type of Kirby newcomer discussion. Again, that's not healthy.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Ehh I would argue Isaac from Golden Sun is just as high up there as well. His fan demand since Brawl hasn't weakened at all, it even was the biggest thread here aside from Geno and Shantae during Ultimate's speculation cycle, he even got a mii costume and was the only old AT to get updated moves. Nevermind the fact it is among the top 20 best selling GBA games. I could go on, but he is undoubtedly, easily, in the top 5 most wanted first party characters. Just saying, let's not forget that one, lol

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
That's backwards.

First, I don't think it's weird he's not in yet, even without factoring Sakurai in at all. Smash 4 was too early to be realistic, and Ultimate had four slots for an original first-party newcomer (with one reserved by Pokemandate). Inkling, Ridley and K. Rool getting in over BWD makes total sense.

But, it's not because "he's not in, therefore Sakurai may not like him". It's that Sakurai has a clear bias for his own games, which drastically limits content we get from the others. In the case of major content (character/stage/boss/AT/item) we have nothing, other than a few moveset references.

And BWD falls under the not-Sakurai portion of the Kirby franchise (well, technically he doesn't, but for all intents and purposes, he does). There has been no indication that Sakurai cares about the success of anything in the other games, including, so far, BWD. All homie has to show for his resume and ballot performance is an upgraded spirit. Even Krystal got the AT.

You would expect FL to buck precedent. We'll have to see. But also, representing that game doesn't inherently mean an increase to the character count.

He's the most popular First Party after Waluigi worldwide. He's the most popular First Party period in Japan.
So... in a previous post I said it's not weird he's not in yet, Sakurai-aside. In a previous post I said he does have a shot to get in, but that shot is through fan demand. So... yeah, he's popular, that's his opportunity. That's... what I said.

Godspeed

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Ah, Raven Beak. Do we think he has any chance of having some presence in Prime 4?
It wouldn't make sense for Samus to directly encounter RB in Prime 4, as the beginning of Dread is presumably her first (to her memory) encounter with him. But I was thinking about nods to Raven Beak in the background/foreshadowing.

Anyway I was just thinking about ways Raven Beak could continue to appear despite being, well, ya know...
And that led me to thinking about Prime being earlier than Dread in the timeline.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ah, Raven Beak. Do we think he has any chance of having some presence in Prime 4?
It wouldn't make sense for Samus to directly encounter RB in Prime 4, as the beginning of Dread is presumably her first (to her memory) encounter with him. But I was thinking about nods to Raven Beak in the background/foreshadowing.

Anyway I was just thinking about ways Raven Beak could continue to appear despite being, well, ya know...
And that led me to thinking about Prime being earlier than Dread in the timeline.
Last time I checked, Prime takes place between the first Metroid game and Samus Returns, so likely no. Mostly because of Dread being Samus' first time meeting Raven Beak in a long time to the point where she didn't even know him even after Quiet Robe naming him. Not until he revealed to her being one of the blood doners for her Chozo DNA.

And while Raven Beak and the X that possessed him was destroyed, Samus still has his Mawkin DNA, since I don't think she suddenly lost it from getting the Metroid Suit or Quiet Robe's Thoha DNA. While I don't see her DNA suddenly being taken and making a new Raven Beak(if anything, it'd be more likely that if a copy of Samus happened, whether through cloning or another X/Dark Samus scenario, that aside from Samus' DNA, it also copies Raven Beak's DNA and the copy ends up getting part of Raven Beak's personality), Raven Beak could always come to Samus' mind as a kind of "ghost"-like being or connection to her, reminding her of her inheritance, nature, etc.
While we might not see Raven Beak again, we could still see remnants of the Mawkin, since there was that ship that disappeared during Samus' escape from the planet.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Doesn't mean that's when Prime 4 is taking place.
But we don't know when Prime 4 is taking place. :p
Other than that it's taking place after 3 and Federation Force, assuming the plans with Sylux for Prime 4 are still intact.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
When you think about it, it's kinda depressing how every Smash game except probably Brawl fits this to a T. Makes you wonder what is the point of a crossover in the first place?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
When you think about it, it's kinda depressing how every Smash game except probably Brawl fits this to a T. Makes you wonder what is the point of a crossover in the first place?

I've long been of the opinion that the lack of actual character interaction is Smash's biggest failing as a crossover.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
This is an unpopular opinion but I don’t mind the lack of interaction between characters in Smash. I kind of see the series as a gameplay-first kind of thing.

That being said, I do second this:
Even the smallest nods like Terry and Ken's unique intro interaction in Capcom vs SNK would've done a whole lot to sell the crossover aspect of Smash

Dukefire

Smash Master

That post is just salt bait. Truthfully, I don't care about it much. Besides, Sakurai did leave the players mostly up to our imagination on how it can play out.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion

To see the characters together and, in the case of Smash, duke it out.

Even the smallest nods like Terry and Ken's unique intro interaction in Capcom vs SNK would've done a whole lot to sell the crossover aspect of Smash

That's kind of exaggerating. People don't play Smash for stuff like that. Seeing characters from all these different games and in all these different stages from these games is enough to sell Smash. Aside from characters like Mario, Sonic, Ryu, Pac-Man, and Cloud, you got Joker, Steve, Sephiroth, Snake, Sora, and even Duck Hunt, all in a fighting game where they can demonstrate the best of their abilities.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I've long been of the opinion that the lack of actual character interaction is Smash's biggest failing as a crossover.
For as... severely lacking as MvC:I was in pretty much every other aspect outside of the actual gameplay, at least it had fun character interactions.
Ryu being a scientist is dumb but it also meant we got him and Hulk teaming up against a creature from Monster Hunter
The core conceit of Ultron and Sigma interacting and fusing, whilst undercut by the utterly stupid decision that the latter be a DLC character, is perfect.
Thanos discovering and using the Satsui-no-Hado is perfect even if it ended on a cliffhanger that will never get followed up. Just saying that if MvC4 ever happens, Shin Thanos needs to be a thing.
Spider-Man sneaking into a zombie/symbiote lab alongside Chris Redfield and Frank West is fun
Even just seeing X and Zero do their fist bump/handshake type thing is more than you can say Smash Ultimate has.

Smash comparatively only has Brawl to show for it and there's a damn good reason people like Subspace in spite of the uninspired generic levels.
Meta Knight, Marth and Ike teaming up was really cool with Meta Knight moving on to rescue Lucas and PT and then leaving everyone to climb a mountain with the Ice Climbers following just for him to duel Lucario at the peak before both move on to the Halberd whilst the ICs fall off is cool. Then he and Lucario discover Snake and eventually meet up with Peach and Sheik.
Lucas being utterly traumatised by Wario turning Ness into a trophy and cackling was a cool moment.
Ness and Luigi teaming up with and defending Dedede when Wario attacks was funny.
Everything with Fox, Falco and Diddy was excellent before they go their separate ways to deal with the Halberd/Rescue DK and team up with Captain Falcon and Olimar who have fun interactions too like Olimar being utterly scared for his life as Falcon holds him as they jump down to the Falcon Flyer.
Even the act of fighting Meta Ridley atop the Falcon Flyer as you escape an exploding base is awesome.
There's loads of character dynamics that go between franchises and it's what makes Subspace so cool.

Not wanting to do a Subspace like mode again because someone will put the cutscenes on YouTube is perhaps one of the silliest things Sakurai has ever said and done behind only his awful take on Smash Online.

And you don't even need a story mode to have it, entrance lines, maybe taunt lines, KO lines, victory screens and even team victory screens are another angle to let characters interact. As it is we only have Slippy and Alucard intruding upon Snake's Codec and Pit's Guidance respectively with some characters only interacting with others in the same franchise as them like Robin, Lucina and the Star Fox crew. There's a huge ocean's worth of potential that's utterly squandered by remaining in the $10 paddling pool.

It feels less like a crossover and more like a very impressive collection. Yes there's still merit to having characters throw Poke Balls and use Super Stars and fight on Shadow Moses or in Drac's Castle or in Brinstar but it's just smashing figures together with different accessories and playsets at the end of the day but with absolutely none of the child-like imagination that actually completes it.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Man I forgot about Raven Beak, he would be a dope character. Smash needs more terrible father figures

Deja vu topic; they had potential with World of Light. I remember everybody popping off in the initial trailer reveal when Fox spoke. Hopefully we get more next game.

Ivander

Smash Legend
As much as the interaction parts are on the weak side, I didn't mind it much. Probably because I enjoyed all of the images that Sakurai gave us on Miiverse and Twitter and letting the players make their own interpretations of it. Not to mention some memes, moments or even ships wouldn't have existed without them.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
As much as the interaction parts are on the weak side, I didn't mind it much. Probably because I enjoyed all of the images that Sakurai gave us on Miiverse and Twitter and letting the players make their own interpretations of it. Not to mention some memes, moments or even ships wouldn't have existed without them.
I still remember the buzz about the Golden Sun "hint"...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This is an unpopular opinion but I don’t mind the lack of interaction between characters in Smash. I kind of see the series as a gameplay-first kind of thing.
I get the exact amount of character interaction I want out of this series from Ultimate's character reveal trailers.

Subspace Emissary veered a little too close to Kingdom Hearts-esque cringeyness.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
My problem with Subspace is that it clearly took time away from making sure the gameplay was polished.
As I've said before, I think Smash is better off as a game museum in party game format than as an actual Kingdom Hearts type crossover.
And that's what always appealed to me about Smash Bros. It's all different kinds of video game contents put together.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve always loved SSE but I acknowledge it could be improved in a lot of ways. It’s sad that they dropped any kind of story driven co-op and single player in later games. Part of why l liked SSE was the character interaction as mentioned above. I feel like Smash lacks quite a bit in that area as well. Another is that I loved having something for my brother and friends to play cooperatively if we don’t want to have Vs matches all the time. Finally, I just enjoyed the gameplay of exploring environments and platforming. Without something like that, I feel like Smash isn’t quite living up to the platforming aspect of its genre, especially with all of Ultimate’s Battlefield-sequel stages.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
As I’ve said before, I think a decent compromise for WoL would be to keep the Spirit battles and the overworld but also work in SSE-esque levels and have some sub-areas act as a hybrid between the two gameplay styles.

I’d also add a “neutral ending” where all the fighters turn into Spirits despite the defeat of Galeem and Dharkon; this would be an incentive to rescue every fighter for the true ending, but you’d still get the ability to change menu music and unlock a true Boss Battles Mode after getting the neutral ending.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Man I forgot about Raven Beak, he would be a dope character. Smash needs more terrible father figures
It is time

Deja vu topic; they had potential with World of Light. I remember everybody popping off in the initial trailer reveal when Fox spoke. Hopefully we get more next game.
They baited us with a cool intro and then we got a glorified event mode without the fun flavour text and way less unique fights and circumstances.
WoL sucks

My problem with Subspace is that it clearly took time away from making sure the gameplay was polished.
As I've said before, I think Smash is better off as a game museum in party game format than as an actual Kingdom Hearts type crossover.
Subspace didn't impact the "polish" of the gameplay because the gameplay works as it was intended, it's just that the intent for Brawl's gameplay was to be as aggressively casual as possible in response to Melee accidentally allowing the growth of a hyper competitive scene.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
One big sore point about the interactions for me is that we do get some in the victory screens, but they're extremely limited and half baked. Offhand it's just the Star Fox, KI, and FE characters that have them, and not even all of them get it so you have cases like Chrom or Robin talking to Lucina but she doesn't say a single thing back. If they're going to do it, it should be more fleshed out and yet we only get the bare minimum if even that.

Top Bottom