• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
what the part about sakurai not rejecting things that came after his games? to which i replied the stages and assist trophies are all from his era?
That doesn't change anything i've said. I didn't agree there was hint of bias but isn't purposely leaving them out. Modern Kirby has representation regardless from Final Smash, Music and Spirits.

Oh, cool. So they must not be bosses in basically every Kirby game that comes out then?

Wait, what's that? They ARE? In every single Kirby game they find an excuse to be trying to kill Kirby again? Weird. It's almost like the way the series is designed, it's villains become friends at the end, but constantly go back to being villains.

Great news for Bowser. I'll let him know he's not a villain because he goes go-karting in between bouts of kidnapping.

You're not writing a college dissertation here. That's a semantic argument when discussing cartoon video game characters.

Two of those go on to become Star Allies. So by the above argument, they aren't villains anymore.
I think you must have been playing Keeby instead of Kirby because if you actually played the latter you would know that Dedede and Meta Knight have not once actively tried to Kill Kirby nor has been their main goal at all in any of the games.

How does Kirby being a "cartoon video game characters" somehow make accurate descriptions "semantic"?

Also Bowser is actually portrayed as Villain more times than not so once again False Equivalence.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That doesn't change anything i've said. I didn't agree there was hint of bias but isn't purposely leaving them out. Modern Kirby has representation regardless from Final Smash, Music and Spirits.
I’d call rejecting one stage in favour of the other is purposefully leaving it out

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I'm curious, what third party characters do you think will return from Ultimate as well as series past? I'm curious to know what the forum thinks
Anyone that isn't Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu, Ken, Pac-Man, Banjo, Bayo and Steve are 80% getting cut.

Looking at you Square.

Is Kirby even part of the Scrimbo spectrum?
I say so. His design is quite orthodox, cartoony and has that mascot appeal. Still don't get how that somehow nullifies moral alignments but i seen weird arguments before.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With Kirby honestly I suspect its a case of both Sakurai and Nintendo simply not having strong interest in including that many later elements from Kirby. Not from dislike or even a sense that they don't have appeal, just that other franchises simply have more of their attention. Its a bit like the dynamic with Sonic in that way; no active dislike of it, but no real drive to incorporate characters/stages/songs/etc beyond what they already have.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
With Kirby honestly I suspect its a case of both Sakurai and Nintendo simply not having strong interest in including that many later elements from Kirby. Not from dislike or even a sense that they don't have appeal, just that other franchises simply have more of their attention. Its a bit like the dynamic with Sonic in that way; no active dislike of it, but no real drive to incorporate characters/stages/songs/etc beyond what they already have.
when I say sakurais bias I don’t mean he’s dislikes things. I mean he’s playing favourites

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm not sure Xenoblade 3 is seen as a huge stepping stone for the franchise.

There's been in upward trend in terms of sales and recognition, but I don't think any of them have received an "Awakening" style moment yet.
I don't think it need a "Awakening moment" to have a new character. Xenoblade 3 has reached huge critical acclaim to the point of being nominated goty for the Game awards, and imo this alone make it worthy of a Smash character. To be honest if Xeno 2 could get a character, I don't see why 3 couldn't.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I think it's fair for Xenoblade to get one new character per Smash game if it maintains it's release pace
well my most wanted character is infamous for his series poor timing so what do I know lol

Aligo

Smash Ace
which countryside?
To be honest every countryside though the one in particular is a random bit of the UK. Had to wait two and a half hours for that bus.

Also one day I hope more series are represented. I don't think much of XC3 because the most prominent options don't have much to offer in contrast to characters from the rest of the series, XCX included, and have already lost plot relevance with the shift in focus of the DLC story.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think it need a "Awakening moment" to have a new character. Xenoblade 3 has reached huge critical acclaim to the point of being nominated goty for the Game awards, and imo this alone make it worthy of a Smash character. To be honest if Xeno 2 could get a character, I don't see why 3 couldn't.
Oh I agree. I just don't think 3's reception was that much better than 2's.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm not a Xenoblade player so this is all coming from an outsider, but it felt like the series was gradually gaining acceptance with each release.

Xenoblade 1 carved out strong niche support after Operation Rainfall, X managed some surprisingly strong hype given the weaker install base of the Wii U, 2 took the series into the stratosphere (albeit with controversy with many critics and fans over it being too fanservicey), 1 remaster won over many XC2 skeptics, and 3 essentially gave it the mix of more universal critical and commercial success it had been shooting for.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm not a Xenoblade player so this is all coming from an outsider, but it felt like the series was gradually gaining acceptance with each release.

Xenoblade 1 carved out strong niche support after Operation Rainfall, X managed some surprisingly strong hype given the weaker install base of the Wii U, 2 took the series into the stratosphere (albeit with controversy with many critics and fans over it being too fanservicey), 1 remaster won over many XC2 skeptics, and 3 essentially gave it the mix of more universal critical and commercial success it had been shooting for.
And to think the series was really niche since it's debut on PS1, it really got places once Nintendo took over.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Dedede and Meta Knight have not once actively tried to Kill Kirby nor has been their main goal at all in any of the games.
What does their "main goal" matter? They're still stabbing him with swords and smashing him with hammers.

They are cartoon villains for 5-year-olds. But villains just the same.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Every gym leader in the Pokémon games battle the player, regardless of their main goal. Thus, every gym leader in the series is a villain. :4pacman:
I knew we couldn't trust Iono.

I mean, look at her.

Pure unrivaled evil!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
By this logic, a lot of the npc trainers are villians too.

Makes sense to me. You can't convince me that Youngster Joey isn't a criminal mastermind.
It makes sense when you think about it.

Youngster Joey wouldn't stop calling because he was trying to distract you from your mission of defeating Team Rocket.

After Team Rocket's fall, he calls you just to ruin your day.

He's a petty monster!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Would you consider **** like Zero Two a villain for 5-years-olds!?
Yep! Sometimes, Nintendo just likes giving kids nightmares. Lookin' at you Giygas!

Every gym leader in the Pokémon games battle the player, regardless of their main goal. Thus, every gym leader in the series is a villain.
I mean, arguably, every Pokemon trainer in the entire franchise is a glorified dogfighter. They're technically all villains.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Also one day I hope more series are represented. I don't think much of XC3 because the most prominent options don't have much to offer in contrast to characters from the rest of the series, XCX included, and have already lost plot relevance with the shift in focus of the DLC story.
so like every jrpg then

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
why would se be cut and not steve?
I'm guessing that, at least for the base game, Square-Enix seems to be difficult to work with. (either that, or a bunch of their properties have unusual legal issues that no other company has to deal with)

From what's been said, "Everyone Is Here" almost didn't happen, and Square-Enix only gave the barest possible minimum for Ultimate's base game (two songs, with neither of them being remixes, and no artwork until DLC), so they're the likely culprit. It wasn't until Sephiroth's DLC that Final Fantasy got more spirits beyond Cloud, artwork for Cloud's spirit, and a bunch of songs that probably should have been in the base game.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm guessing that, at least for the base game, Square-Enix seems to be difficult to work with. (either that, or a bunch of their properties have unusual legal issues that no other company has to deal with)

From what's been said, "Everyone Is Here" almost didn't happen, and Square-Enix only gave the barest possible minimum for Ultimate's base game (two songs, with neither of them being remixes, and no artwork until DLC), so they're the likely culprit. It wasn't until Sephiroth's DLC that Final Fantasy got more spirits beyond Cloud, artwork for Cloud's spirit, and a bunch of songs that probably should have been in the base game.
i think it’s more likely that they were using the same license for both 4 and ultimate. by the time cloud was added into 4 the had already began planning ultimate so odds are they licensed him for two games hence why there was no extra stuff. Steve meanwhile took five years to get into smash. he’s definitely a licensing nightmare

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think they'll at least try to get Cloud and Hero back, both are just to huge to ignore. If they can only get one, I think Hero is the most likely to come back.

In term of third party cuts, I think that Snake could be cut because Metal gear is probably not going to get any new game anytime soon and Snake being cut in Smash 4 kind of prove that he's not considered that important for Sakurai.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

From my understanding it's definitely the latter.

Dragon quest for example seems pretty easyto license aside from the music which was historically the hardest part of the IP to get a hold of. That's why the music list is so small.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i think it’s more likely that they were using the same license for both 4 and ultimate. by the time cloud was added into 4 the had already began planning ultimate so odds are they licensed him for two games hence why there was no extra stuff. Steve meanwhile took five years to get into smash. he’s definitely a licensing nightmare
is it licensing nightmare for Steve or coding nightmare and concept though?
as far as i remember Microsoft were open with having their characters in smash and its how we got Banjo but for sure implementing Steve is pretty much complicated

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
is it licensing nightmare for Steve or coding nightmare and concept though?
as far as i remember Microsoft were open with having their characters in smash and its how we got Banjo but for sure implementing Steve is pretty much complicated
five years is still the amount of time it took. be it licensing or coding steve was a difficult character to include

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I don't remember seeing genuine hate for a 4th Kirby rep. I agree that Bandana dee was more "controversial" because some people see him as too generic, but Marx, Magolor and to some extent Adeleine were always fairly popular.
Yeah i guess but there were some voices who said that kirby is fine as it is...
While wishing for even more Mario Chars and Pokemon!

Who you could personally picks?
Costumes are written after the character:
Kirby (Fighters Shadow Kirby)
Dedede (King D Mind)
Meta Knight (Morpho Knight)
Bandana Waddle Dee (Waddle Dee and Waddle Doo)
Magolor
Traitor Magolor
Dark Matter

Last edited by a moderator:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

They literally explained this in Sephiroth’s presentation. The big reason FFVII had lacking content was the fact FFVII has Byzantine ownership rights in regards to its music. We also know Sephiroth was being planned at least since 2017, well before there was any useable content from the remake. It’s likely they just decided at that point to hold over the content like Spirits for Sephiroth’s pack. Heck, Nintendo is the company that chose Hero and Sephiroth. If square was truly that hard to work with, I doubt square would have been on their shortlist twice. Would I have liked it if FFVII had more than two songs and spirits in the bass game? Absolutely, but the image of square being some miserly company that almost held Cloud back is just super outdated.
——————
To be honest, I think third party cuts in general are just unlikely. We have only had it happen once with Snake. Early 2010s Konami was in a rough spot and likely had negotiations break down. Cuts in general are super rare to begin with, and this is the only time it’s happened to a third party. Almost all of the cuts we have seen were low priority vets that were planned at some point or cut due to technical issues with the 3DS. Third parties would not be low priority due to how their licensing works, so you would need a breakdown in relations like what happened with Konami.

Nintendo themselves seem to really like the idea of third parties in Smash. They had executive control over Ultimate’s DLC. Out of our 12 downloadable characters (lumping in Aegis since it was one pack), 2/3 were third party. Nintendo seems very invested in the idea that Smash is gamings greatest celebration. Sakurai has had that mentality as well for a while. Unless both of them have a fundamental shift in philosophy, we won’t see that many third party cuts. Smash rarely cuts characters, and Nintendo likes third parties. They know they sell. Even if they have to license everything, it’s easier to license these characters now than before. They already have contracts with all those companies for these character licenses. Sure, licensing everyone is expensive, but smash prints money and all these companies want in on that gravy train. I doubt Nintendo will be looking towards cutting third parties.

I also doubt any of these companies would outright want to leave Smash at this point. Smash prints money and they know they are licensing their characters to a trustworthy handler. Ultimate was the best selling fighting game ever. It would take Nintendo either not wanting to work with them or a breakdown of relations for cuts to happen for a normal next Smash. If the roster is hard rebooted and we see a thanos snap sure, but that is highly unlikely with modern Nintendo.

Honestly the only real way I think we would see third party cuts besides a breakdown in relations is through buyouts. Depending on who buys a company or could hurt relations going forward. If Sony bought Konami, we wouldn’t see Snake or the Belmonts most likely for example. Speculation on the corporate politics of companies and potential bailouts though is just a waste of time. We won’t know who or what is a buyout target unless the signs are super obvious.

Even if we did not get EiH 2.0, I doubt Smash would see a thanos snap for third parties. We would probably see cuts for similar reasons to why we saw them in Brawl or 4: some characters just aren’t as much of a priority. Some people might want Smash to go back to a “Nintendo All Stars game”, but that is just not going to happen. For starters, that era never really existed, even as far back as the Melee era third parties in Smash were considered. Even if that era did exist, it’s long gone by now. The genie has been out of the bottle for years now. This first party elitism is very rare outside of Smashboards. Smashboards attracts a hyper niche audience and is far from a representative sample. Most of the community in the wild like Ultimate and like third parties. I doubt that with how Nintendo, Sakurai, and the current third parties are right now third party cuts are even that likely. More likely than not, the lions share of our third parties will return.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
You know, coming to think of it, it's very strange that Lololo & Lalala didn't even get spirits in Ultimate. What's up with that?

I think they'll at least try to get Cloud and Hero back, both are just to huge to ignore. If they can only get one, I think Hero is the most likely to come back.

In term of third party cuts, I think that Snake could be cut because Metal gear is probably not going to get any new game anytime soon and Snake being cut in Smash 4 kind of prove that he's not considered that important for Sakurai.
If that was the case, they wouldn't have bothered bringing him back for Ultimate.

In the end, I don't think it matters whether or not a series get a new game anytime soon. It's obvious that Snake is well-liked among the Smash Bros fanbase. Plus, I'm sure Sakurai's friend, Kojima, would love to see Snake return to Smash.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
... Snake being cut in Smash 4 kind of prove that he's not considered that important for Sakurai.
Not really. It just proves that a 3rd party character isn't a lock just because they were in a previous game. Technically, Sakurai could have fought tooth and nail to get him in 4 and couldn't for whatever reason (like Konami saying no, or Nintendo saying no, etc.)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If that was the case, they wouldn't have bothered bringing him back for Ultimate.

In the end, I don't think it matters whether or not a series get a new game anytime soon. It's obvious that Snake is well-liked among the Smash Bros fanbase. Plus, I'm sure Sakurai's friend, Kojima, would love to see Snake return to Smash.
Well Ultimate had the Everyone is here concept so they didn't have a choice to bring him. It's also the same reason why we have 3 Link in the game. Besides, Kojima is not at Konami anymore so I doubt he has anything to say about Snake in Smash.

Not really. It just proves that a 3rd party character isn't a lock just because they were in a previous game. Technically, Sakurai could have fought tooth and nail to get him in 4 and couldn't for whatever reason (like Konami saying no, or Nintendo saying no, etc.)
Well Kojima wanted him according to a Twitch interview so my guess is that Sakurai just didn't approach him at all to bring him back for Smash 4.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Well Ultimate had the Everyone is here concept so they didn't have a choice to bring him. It's also the same reason why we have 3 Link in the game. Besides, Kojima is not at Konami anymore so I doubt he has anything to say about Snake in Smash.
They definitely had a choice. They could have very well pass up on characters like Snake again if they felt that he wasn't relevant enough for them anymore and therefore, not go with the whole "Everyone is here" concept.

But like I said, he's a popular character among the Smash fanbase, and he's an iconic video game character, having popularized the stealth genre. So whatever reason they didn't get Snake in Smash 4, it's highly doubtful that it's because they didn't think he was important to them anymore. A character from a series of that kind of status is always important.

Also, it's not a matter of Kojima being with Konami. Snake is still his creation and he was the one who personally requested for him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom