• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It would be pretty funny to get more Pirahna Plant esque characters.
I totally agree. My most wanted Kirby character is Bugzzy and my most wanted Mario character is a Goomba. I think basic enemies often have very fun designs that can lend well to really unique Smash characters.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
At this point to me Dee is more of a question of when than if. Honestly he’s got a lot of momentum as a fan pick and his relevance only keeps rising. He’s head and shoulders the next unique Kirby rep.

The only first party I’m more convinced is gonna show up in the next Smash is the Octolings. It’s just such an easy slam dunk no matter what avenue you take. Echo fighter or semi clone? Easy as pie to do with Inkling in the game. Unique character? Sure, we have plenty of new things from Splatoon 2 and 3 you could use when making a moveset. Splatoon also is massive and keeps doing well, it’s almost certainly getting at least one more new character. I know some people might push Octavio or one of the idol groups, but I think Octolings just translate easier into Smash than both. It also helps that Splatoon fans love Octolings. I remember the reactions to the Octo expansion, they were ecstatic. I genuinely can’t see a scenario where they don’t get a strong look for the next game.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I said this before but the only characters I’m expecting for the next Smash first-party-wise are Bandana Dee, Octoling, and a XB3 character.

People say Xenoblade 3 could “rotate out of relevancy” but like it’s a pretty big deal? It’s sold almost 2m copies in less than a year and was nominated for Game of the Year in addition to a ton of other accolades. I personally feel like whether it’s Noah, Mio, or both in some way, we’re garenteed to get something from that game on the roster.

The other two I don’t really think I need to explain much and with all due respect TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom explained Octoling very well.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Yeah, Dedede is, like, the Bowser of the Kirby series.
I don't really think so. He only really plays the main antagonist in Dream Land 1, Adventure, and various remakes and spinoffs. Aside from that, he's usually a world boss or a puppet for the games big bad or whatever. Closer to the role Bowser Jr tends to play, in my opinion. Meta Knight is barely even a villain, only being the main antagonist in one mode in Super Star, a minor bad guy role in two games (Adventure and Squeak), and is either brainwashed or good or both everywhere else (it would be like calling Wario a Mario villain because of Land 2). Kirby doesn't have a consistent main antagonist, unless you want to count the various Dark Matter aligned characters as one but that's not very accurate.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
People talk about how Sakurai bias is going to be a major hindrance for Bandana Dee but to be honest I don’t really see it. Should he be highly requested enough, and he definitely has a good chance if being so, I doubt Sakurai would deny the chance to fulfil that fan request.
(Then again that sort of argument isn’t as nearly flawed as the one I remember sometime ago where another forum member talked about how there were people hoping to see Sakurai replaced with a younger person because it would apparently increase roster diversity in terms of LGBT characters and such).

People say Xenoblade 3 could “rotate out of relevancy” but like it’s a pretty big deal? It’s sold almost 2m copies in less than a year and was nominated for Game of the Year in addition to a ton of other accolades. I personally feel like whether it’s Noah, Mio, or both in some way, we’re garenteed to get something from that game on the roster.
Well to be honest timing is the key. Sakurai himself admitted that if Awakening was released 6 months later, Robin might not have made it in to Smash 4.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Anyone still who still believes Meta Knight and Dedede are still villians haven't seen Kirby since the first game.

Meta Knight and Dedede still started as villains and had villain roles even after their debuts. Not to mention Meta Knight was used with Kirby for the villains bit for King K. Rool and it was based on Kirby fighting Meta Knight in Revenge of Meta Knight in Super Star.

Unless you want to say Wolf doesn't count as a villain since he had allied roles in Assault and Command.
They started as antagonistic rivals, not villains. Dedede over food and superiority and Meta Knight over wanting challenge Kirby and wanting him to prove himself.

I'm not going to say they suddenly became buddy-buddy as it was an ongoing process for them to become true allies. Both characters butt heads with Kirby occasionally but they were never outright villianous like Marx, Magolor, Sectonia etc.

Wolf was a villian working for Andross so that comparison doesn't hold. A better comparison would be more Zero/Knuckles/Wario type deal than anything

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The key difference with Kirby is that Dedede (and to a lesser degree Meta Knight) are occasional antagonists that aren't actual villains. For most Nintendo franchises the roles are one one in the same, but with Kirby someone like Dedede is more of an egocentric screw up that goes against Kirby for petty reasons at times, but is now more defined by working with him to take down big threats. Its on a spectrm really:

Villains acting as the direct antagonists (Ridley, Ganon, K Rool)
Largely villainous but with depth and a willingness to work with the heroes on occasion (Wolf, Bowser)
Antagonists that are barely qualify as villains given their characterization and motivations (Meta Knight, Dedede)

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
I said this before but the only characters I’m expecting for the next Smash first-party-wise are Bandana Dee, Octoling, and a XB3 character.

The other two I don’t really think I need to explain much and with all due respect TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom explained Octoling very well.
For XC3 it would be more due to the release timing of the game, so far away from a new smash, though there are other factors as well.
One of those is the lack of overall story importance of XC3s cast due to the self-contained nature of the game.
Another factor is the similarity between Noah/Mio and previous, often more popular characters in the series, meaning that their main argument for inclusion is based on recency, which will be mostly irrelevant by the time a smash sequel is released.

Octoling for smash deluxe/sequel is a obvious pick as inkling was for ultimate. Would not be surprised to see them in the reveal trailer for the game.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
^^^^^.

This exactly. They are rivals

People talk about how Sakurai bias is going to be a major hindrance for Bandana Dee but to be honest I don’t really see it. Should he be highly requested enough, and he definitely has a good chance if being so, I doubt Sakurai would deny the chance to fulfil that fan request.
I feel like fans over-exaggerate that bias thing. Sure Sakurai is going to have closer connection to the parts he made and would be easier to his stuff in but isn't going out of his way outright reject anything that came afterwards. If Bandana Dee is given that opportunity, he will show up with the rep that comes with it.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like fans over-exaggerate that bias thing. Sure Sakurai is going to have closer connection to the parts he made and would be easier to his stuff in but isn't going out of his way outright reject anything that came afterwards. If Bandana Dee is given that opportunity, he will show up with the rep that comes with it.
tell that to the stage selection and the assist trophies

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
cough cough rex cough cough
Obviously it’s because he’s not a cute anime girl! :troll:

I feel this sentiment is because all the original, non-ported Kirby content in Ultimate is from the games Sakurai made. Because of this, I can slightly understand the concerns that Bandana Dee may be passed over because he became prominent in games Sakurai didn’t direct but I still think this fear is a bit exaggerated (still, there are worse arguments about Sakurai than that and I think you might remember one of them)

Ridley shows that Sakurai is willing to make concessions in favour of fan demand so that is good for Bandana Dee.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's ridiculous to suggest that Dedede and Meta Knight aren't Kirby villains.
Yeah, it's ridiculous that people would deny the villainy of...two characters who've explicitly been on the side of good for more than two decades of their three decade existences.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Well to be honest timing is the key. Sakurai himself admitted that if Awakening was released 6 months later, Robin might not have made it in to Smash 4.
Honestly… Not a bad point. And yeah Awakening basically had a similar impact on it’s series that XB3 did since they were both the turning points that made the franchises become more mainstream.

I still think the next Xenoblade is probably far off though, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens though.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's ridiculous that people would deny the villainy of...two characters who've explicitly been on the side of good for more than two decades of their three decade existences.
Oh, cool. So they must not be bosses in basically every Kirby game that comes out then?

Wait, what's that? They ARE? In every single Kirby game they find an excuse to be trying to kill Kirby again? Weird. It's almost like the way the series is designed, it's villains become friends at the end, but constantly go back to being villains.

Great news for Bowser. I'll let him know he's not a villain because he goes go-karting in between bouts of kidnapping.

They started as antagonistic rivals, not villains.
You're not writing a college dissertation here. That's a semantic argument when discussing cartoon video game characters.

I'm not going to say they suddenly became buddy-buddy as it was an ongoing process for them to become true allies. Both characters butt heads with Kirby occasionally but they were never outright villianous like Marx, Magolor, Sectonia etc.
Two of those go on to become Star Allies. So by the above argument, they aren't villains anymore.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Oh, cool. So they must not be bosses in basically every Kirby game that comes out then?

Wait, what's that? They ARE? In every single Kirby game they find an excuse to be trying to kill Kirby again? Weird. It's almost like the way the series is designed, it's villains become friends at the end, but constantly go back to being villains.

Great news for Bowser. I'll let him know he's not a villain because he goes go-karting in between bouts of kidnapping.
The worst thing Dedede even does is steal food and Meta Knight was only an antagonist in one Kirby Super Star sub-game with debatable canonicity and otherwise is Kirby’s sworn ally. All of the Dedede fights in recent games are because he’s been mind controlled and Meta Knight always fights Kirby as a test of strength. I don’t think they’re really villains dude.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm going to be honest I can't really recall a single Kirby game in the last 20 years where Meta Knight or Dedede tried to kill Kirby that wasn't them being mind controlled by the real villain or battling him in a non-lethal context like the Arena. Revenge of the King in Super Star Ultra is the closest I can think of, and even then him getting revenge is rather ambiguously described. And that's a bonus sub game in a remake of an even older title to boot.

Dedede is probably closest to a DK (specficially from the Mario vs. DK line of games) analogue, an antagonist that's not really an actual villain in the grand scheme.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
All of the Dedede fights in recent games are because he’s been mind controlled and Meta Knight always fights Kirby as a test of strength.
And...does Kirby want that? Or is Meta Knight just some guy that keeps trying to murder him with a sword to show off how strong he is?

or battling him in a non-lethal context like the Arena.
How is the Arena non-lethal? Kirby dies when he loses there the exact same way he dies in the main game.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

You're not writing a college dissertation here. That's a semantic argument when discussing cartoon video game characters.
You mean those boss appearances where Dedede is clearly possessed, Meta Knight is explicitly performing a sparring match to test if Kirby is ready for the next fight, or are otherwise the results of misunderstandings?

King Dedede has legitimately been more of a damsel in distress in recent years than an actual antagonist.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The worst thing Dedede even does is steal food and Meta Knight was only an antagonist in one Kirby Super Star sub-game with debatable canonicity and otherwise is Kirby’s sworn ally.
A reminder that Dedede stole the Star Rod from the Fountain of Dreams without mind-control. If you didn't know Dedede was doing it to prevent Nightmare from rising, you could certainly argue it was one of the worse-r things he did compared to him stealing food.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
A reminder that Dedede stole the Star Rod from the Fountain of Dreams without mind-control. If you didn't know Dedede was doing it to prevent Nightmare from rising, you could certainly argue it was one of the worse-r things he did compared to him stealing food.
Yeah but like you said, he did it because he was trying to prevent Nightmare from rising, it was a simple misunderstanding and not something I really see as “villainous”.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Two of those go on to become Star Allies. So by the above argument, they aren't villains anymore.
Isn't Dedede possessed in most of those? Whether it's being taken over by Dark Matter, used as a literal puppet, or being controlled by some other eldritch abomination, he's not in control of his actions. (The past few games that come to mind have been Swole Dedede and Wild Dedede - he was in control of himself in Kirby Fighters 2, but that was more of a rivalry/competition scenario, rather than Dedede doing anything evil)

Meanwhile, Meta Knight's only been outright villainous in Kirby Super Star; maybe Kirby's Adventure, but it's been a while, so I can't recall how he was portrayed there, but he generally tests Kirby's strength to make sure that he's prepared for what's to come.

Last edited:

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
It's almost like the way the series is designed, it's villains become friends at the end, but constantly go back to being villains.
Are you sure? I thought the Kirby formula was that the villain is an eldritch demon and Kirby kills them. Or at least that's what happens in the two Kirby games I've played.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
To me the Kirby series in general has always been the antithesis of what's expected in terms of adventure gaming. It's a platformer but the difficulty is toned down, the "enemies" are just as cute as everyone else, and storytelling is centered around cooperating and friendship and other themes of togetherness. So while from a dev standpoint including roles such as antagonist is still included, they're far from typical in their execution.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I don't really think so. He only really plays the main antagonist in Dream Land 1, Adventure, and various remakes and spinoffs. Aside from that, he's usually a world boss or a puppet for the games big bad or whatever. Closer to the role Bowser Jr tends to play, in my opinion. Meta Knight is barely even a villain, only being the main antagonist in one mode in Super Star, a minor bad guy role in two games (Adventure and Squeak), and is either brainwashed or good or both everywhere else (it would be like calling Wario a Mario villain because of Land 2). Kirby doesn't have a consistent main antagonist, unless you want to count the various Dark Matter aligned characters as one but that's not very accurate.
Dedede is primarily the main nemesis of Kirby just like how Bowser is for Mario. It's why he's the main antagonist or boss in the first place. His roles in the games don't have to be identical to Bowser's but it's pretty clear that Dedede's antagonistic role directly opposes Kirby's protagonist role.

As for Meta Knight, I guess he's more...neutral?

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I mean tbf it doesn't really matter whether we classify Meta Knight and Dedede as "villains" or not. I don't call them that but like, I don't think it's really relevant for speculation in the first place. Mainly because when people ask for a "Kirby villain" they're generally not asking for those two. Are Dedede and Meta Knight's past roles going to be what blocks Dark Matter, Void, Magolor or whomever else somebody asks for? Is there a cap on how many baddies we're allowed to have? I'm pretty sure there the answer is no to both of those, so I don't see why it would matter. The things I can see getting in the way for those kinds of requests are more like:

1. Sakurai is still director and has a severe allergic reaction to Kirby content he didn't make
2. A new director isn't interested at all in said request
3. Other characters simply get prioritized before them as is the case with like 99% of characters anyway

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Imma be honest, outside of maybe Magolor, I feel like adding another Kirby character outside of Dee would just be adding another for the sake of it.

I love the series but outside of Dee and Magolor I can’t think of a reason to justify including more Kirby characters since none of them are prominent enough to warrant justifying an inclusion (Sorry Adeline)

Top Bottom