• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

MAN, does it feel nice to be excited for Level-5's future. Not just in regards to Smash, but in general: I was genuinely concerned they were on their last legs...

(Also, they confirmed a few weeks ago that they're already working on the "next big thing" for Yo-kai Watch, so there's also that to look forward to: still hoping for YK4 English release.)
Pretty crazy that barely a months ago I made a big post here explaining how a Level 5 character in the next Smash was impossible because at the time I highly doubt Level 5 would make big budget console games again, let alone release game outside of Japan. So glad I was totally wrong on that one because everything showed here looks very promising. I'm especially excited for Decapolice, it looks very unique. Never played a Inazuma eleven games and I'm not super interested to play it, but the fact that the game looks that polished and is looking to be on track to release this year after 5 years of delay just makes me happy for fan of the franchise.

At the very least, I hope Layton will be more seriously considered for Smash 6 speculation. He was a bit discussed for Smash 4 dlc, but with Level 5 state he was very rarely mentionned with the Ultimate era. Hopefully games quality will be there and Level 5 might finally have some contents in the next Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Pretty crazy that barely a months ago I made a big post here explaining how a Level 5 character in the next Smash was impossible because at the time I highly doubt Level 5 would make big budget console games again, let alone release game outside of Japan. So glad I was totally wrong on that one because everything showed here looks very promising. I'm especially excited for Decapolice, it looks very unique. Never played a Inazuma eleven games and I'm not super interested to play it, but the fact that the game looks that polished and is looking to be on track to release this year after 5 years of delay just makes me happy for fan of the franchise.

At the very least, I hope Layton will be more seriously considered for Smash 6 speculation. He was a bit discussed for Smash 4 dlc, but with Level 5 state he was very rarely mentionned with the Ultimate era. Hopefully games quality will be there and Level 5 might finally have some contents in the next Smash.
From what Hino seemingly implied, the game seems to be a lot more open and explorable than previous titles, opening up further the more puzzles you solve. I'm curious to see how the gameplay will look this time.

Deca Police also piqued my interest the more I saw of it. I think Level-5 themselves expected Layton fans to be interested in it since they themselves compared it to that franchise.

But yeah I agree, hopefully all these games do well and mark a renaissance for L5 and in turn be a bit more seriously considered for the next Smash, if not playable characters, at least some side content like spirits/trophies, mii costumes etc, it was a shame seeing them be left out completely from Ultimate, including not even being acknowledged anywhere for :ulthero2:'s inclusion.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Most major franchises don't have breaks in their development cycles though. Putting aside the stereotypical examples like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and the various licensed sports games that see annual releases, most studios move on to the next game or DLC in a tentpole franchise right after completing an entry. Game Freak, Intelligent Systems, and HAL are basically always working on something in the Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Kirby franchises, even when the next entry is years out. Companies, especially publishers selling AAA games, don't like risk and relying on proven IPs is one of the safest moves you can choose. The idea that Nintendo would want a new Smash project in development ASAP isn't weird. If anything, the idea that Nintendo wouldn't want a new Smash game in development is pretty weird given contemporary market trends.
Smash doesn't do annual releases where they pump releases each year. It is conservative to the point there is one per syste,ms so those comparisons with C&D, AC, Pokemon are mute.

Why would Nintendo would be so desperate that they need Smash ASAP? Especially when they have a lineup of big hitters, some bigger than Smash itself, under its belt they could first and that mostly likely already on it's way.

For Better or worse, Nintendo doesn't let market trends govern most of their decisions so that means nothing either.

Also, Smash doesn't need Bandai Namco or Sakurai's successor in order to exist. Namco is a very talented development studio, but a lot of studios are talented and could handle releasing a Smash game. Even if Nintendo really wanted a studio with experience making fighting games, Capcom, SNK, and Arc System Works are all available.
Yeah traditional fighting games but "fighting" games like Smash? Not really or at all. Even then there is a strong asterisk on that as Smash isn't even considered a fighting game by Nintendo themselves either so highly doubtful Nintendo are even looking at those companies.

Namco is much likely due experience they have already with Smash. The reason why they even came back to Ultimate in the first place.

Regarding Sakurai's successor, Nintendo is a business at the end of day and they will find someone to direct the next Smash, regardless of whether or not Sakurai handpicked this person. A multi-billion dollar franchise isn't going to grind to halt because a single person is concerned about its artistic integrity. If Sakurai doesn't find someone by the end of the year, does that mean Smash will miss your proposed 2026 release date? If Sakurai never finds someone, does that mean that Smash is just done?
I feel like you're reading to something that wasn't there. Nowhere in my comment did i highlight "artistic ingerity", "Smash being done" or even Sakurai "handpick" anybody as main issues

"if Sakurai truly is done for good then(Nintendo) finding a successor will take time." Contrary to popular belief, games especially Smash take time to make and Nintendo needs director to lead the project regardless if it's Sakurai or not and it can't just being hand to anybody either and Nintendo themselves no that. It isn't a easy task like most fans like to claim

Heck, they were just going to port Melee with Online on the Wii if Sakurai didn't bother with Brawl, no negotiation.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Captain Price / Soap / Ghost

Price’s Final Smash = Predator Missile ?
Price’s Shield & special = Care Package
Price‘s Neutral Special = Desert Eagle
Price’s side Special = Semtex
Price’s down Special = I.M.S.
Price’s up Special = Commando

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Assuming that Nintendo have a next geno console planned for next years, they must, at the very least, think about the next Smash bros. They know it's one of their system seller. That being said, I really don't think we'll see a Smash near the launch of said consoles. My guess is that a new Mario 3d, new Pokémon, new Splatoon and new Mario kart will be the big "must have exclusives" for the first year or 2 (The Mario 3d team did nothing since Bowser's fury so I'm speculating that they're next game is going to be huge and it should be fairly near completion).

The big question for Smash is: who's even going to develop it? A new game by Namco would be very cool because Namco is huge and they have lots of experiences with fighting games. That being said, Namco is a third party and they're working on Tekken 8 (which is planned for 2024, but will most likely have post launch content) and also the new DBZ tenkaichi, so they might not have a team left to work on Smash. Maybe Hal laboratory could develop a new Smash? I'm really not sure if that's still possible to be honest. And looking at the other Nintendo team I really don't see who could even work on Smash. So my guess is that, assuming that Namco is not available, it will be made in-house by a Nintendo EPD team (and I think the best choice would be either EPD 5 which is Animal crossing and Splatoon teams or EPD 9 which is Mario kart and Arms team). But giving Smash to those teams would either mean breaking the team in half (which would mean slower development time for both project) or waiting that their first games is finished before moving on to Smash (so waiting afiter Splatoon 4 or Mario kart 9).

Tl;dr: Smash 6 is not coming soon.
I feel like, if anything, Smash will likely go the direction of Mario Kart 8 for the next console. I feel like Sakurai isn’t coming back otherwise so Smash losing its Director and Vision for the first time will cause Smash to potentially skip the next console altogether. Nintendo probably wants to avoid this at all costs, so the easiest way to do that is to pull a Mario Kart 8 and go from there. Sakurai or not, I feel like the next Console will probably have a Port of Ultimate or nothin at all.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like, if anything, Smash will likely go the direction of Mario Kart 8 for the next console. I feel like Sakurai isn’t coming back otherwise so Smash losing its Director and Vision for the first time will cause Smash to potentially skip the next console altogether. Nintendo probably wants to avoid this at all costs, so the easiest way to do that is to pull a Mario Kart 8 and go from there. Sakurai or not, I feel like the next Console will probably have a Port of Ultimate or nothin at all.
Smash is quite literally a console seller. Like it is one of few shining beacons in the night that give everyone universally a reason to buy the game and an entire console(and this is very VERY important for stockholders and investors).

They are making a new one.

In general, I am very VERY sick of this "they can't top smash so they won't even bother" reasoning. Come on people, smash doesn't exist as a conceptual art piece. It's a product in the real world.

Next Smash isn't gonna be a ****in port either

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Smash is quite literally a console seller. Like it is one of few shining beacons in the night that give everyone universally a reason to buy the game and an entire console(and this is very VERY important for stockholders and investors).

They are making a new one.

In general, I am very VERY sick of this "they can't top smash so they won't even bother" reasoning. Come on people, smash doesn't exist as a conceptual art piece. It's a product in the real world.

Next Smash isn't gonna be a ****in port either
I could replace every single word in your post with Mario Kart going into the switch. Mario Kart is just as if not more of a system seller than Smash. Despite what people claimed, there was room for innovation after 8. Surely to push their new system, Nintendo would not just recycle 8

It’s fine to not want a port or a deluxe/directors cut. It’s a somewhat divisive topic here for a reason. But given how Nintendo has handled Mario Kart we could easily see Smash Ultimate directors cut in 2025 or so. A directors cut or enhanced port built off of Ultimate’s skeleton with at most a dozen (maybe more like 6-10) unique characters, enhanced online support, and a decent enough sprinkle of new content would still sell exceptionally well. It’s smash, it’s a system seller.

I don’t even think a deluxe port is the most likely outcome. I think a new game built off of Ultimate’s skeleton is more likely. Probably coming out around 2026 or so. But tossing it out entirely is super disingenuous.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I could replace every single word in your post with Mario Kart going into the switch. Mario Kart is just as if not more of a system seller than Smash. Despite what people claimed, there was room for innovation after 8. Surely to push their new system, Nintendo would not just recycle 8

It’s fine to not want a port or a deluxe/directors cut. It’s a somewhat divisive topic here for a reason. But given how Nintendo has handled Mario Kart we could easily see Smash Ultimate directors cut in 2025 or so. A directors cut or enhanced port built off of Ultimate’s skeleton with at most a dozen (maybe more like 6-10) unique characters, enhanced online support, and a decent enough sprinkle of new content would still sell exceptionally well. It’s smash, it’s a system seller.

I don’t even think a deluxe port is the most likely outcome. I think a new game built off of Ultimate’s skeleton is more likely. Probably coming out around 2026 or so. But tossing it out entirely is super disingenuous.
The case of Mario kart 8/deluxe is very different
1. Because of the Wii U poor sales, Mario kart 8 underperformed, so a port was new for a lot of people. This wouldn't be the case for Smash.
2. The Switch was not backward compatible because it was an all new concept. If the next console is pretty much a Switch 2, a port would be obsolete.
3. With the Switch, Nintendo wanted to avoid doing the same mistakes as the Wii U, which was releasing exclusives way too late (after almost 2 years). Mario kart 8 deluxe was an easy way to have a flagship franchise in the first few months of the Switch. As long as Nintendo is planning their schedule correctly, they wouldn't necessarly need a Smash in the first few months (assuming that they have a 3d Mario, a new Mario kart, a new Monolith soft project and a new Pokémon in the first year or so they wouldn't need to rely on Smash imo)

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I know Smash like to break its own patterns regularly, but the fact they did that for DLC and not for any base game characters in Ultimate just sucks.

It would work really well to have OoT/TP Zelda as an alt for current Zelda without making a whole echo. Admittedly, I don't know anyone else it would work for.
In general having this stuff for zelda characters would be great i mean imagine a smash with:
OOT Adult Link
Tp Link
BOTW Link
OOT Zelda
TP Zelda
ALTTP Zelda
OOT GAnondorf
TP GAnondorf
Shiek
OOT Impa
Toon link
And Toon OOT Young link
and then guess how many Roster slots that might take yeah 5!
And you would have more or less all smash incarnations of all zelda chars in there!
Like i dont get why there are barely any zelda costumes?
Obviously younger links and zeldas cant be costumes but other than that most is fair game!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's an interesting video I just watched that ties into the Switch 2 discussion we're having.

Tldr; it's very possible that the Switch 2 won't be fully backwards compatible.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here's an interesting video I just watched that ties into the Switch 2 discussion we're having.

I’d prefer backwards compatibility but I’m probably going to have to keep my Switch hooked up thanks to Ultimate mods. Even if the game gets ported or the console is backwards compatible, I don’t know whether the mods could carry over. I assume they couldn’t, at least not easily.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I would assume not every game will be backwards compatible because the other consoles in the industry aren't fully backwards compatible either, it's an industry thing.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Since we're talking about COD, the most recent bit with the ActiBlizz buyout had Playstation essentially telling the UK to either block the deal, or force Microsoft to sell off the IP. I'll admit, I'm not sure which is more likely to happen, but it would DEFINETLY affect COD's chances for Smash depending on how it goes, I feel...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Since we're talking about COD, the most recent bit with the ActiBlizz buyout had Playstation essentially telling the UK to either block the deal, or force Microsoft to sell off the IP. I'll admit, I'm not sure which is more likely to happen, but it would DEFINETLY affect COD's chances for Smash depending on how it goes, I feel...
what was the uk supposed to do?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
what was the uk supposed to do?
I believe the UK's anti-trust competitive... whatever ut's called over there (the group in charge of making sure monopolies don't happen) are the only ones left who are still outright against the buyout (I'm not sure about the US, but apparently Microsoft's recent deals with Nintendo and Nvidia were enough to win over the EU), so what they decide will determine how things go from here.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I believe the UK's anti-trust competitive... whatever ut's called over there (the group in charge of making sure monopolies don't happen) are the only ones left who are still outright against the buyout (I'm not sure about the US, but apparently Microsoft's recent deals with Nintendo and Nvidia were enough to win over the EU), so what they decide will determine how things go from here.
I don’t think we have one of those. If we do then the tories will have severely reduced its power

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Intellectually I'm against the acquisition because too many companies are too big already and a large majority of game publishing only coming from a few companies isn't healthy.

Emotionally I couldn't care less as I have no interest in Call of Duty and the only things I'm remotely interested in from Activision are Crash and Spyro releases anyway.

As far as the UK blocking the deal, it really go either way. If Sony looks dubious enough to the public/reps in previous deals for exclusivity that may play a factor in how it goes.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Speaking of acquisition, why Electronic Arts still hasn't sell their exclusive video game rights to The Simpsons yet. So any big name VG company can pay the rights to make games of "The Yellow One" (PMatGA Reference btw). Still baffled by their abscence on the crossover card game. Wait is Tapped Out still reciving updates to this day? Darn it, dream broken. :4pacman:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I don't think so. i think Sony will basically be getting a similar deal to Nintendo.

Top Bottom