• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hmm, so supposedly this is an insider from two years ago in regards to Metroid Prime Remastered and Metroid Prime 4.

-So Retro was doing something after Tropical Freeze before it got cancelled and Nintendo asked them to remake the Metroid Prime Trilogy from the ground up.
-Eventually, Nintendo of Japan became concerned about Namco's work on Prime 4, and in particular the level design for Prime 4 and had some of the art team from Retro Studios to go and help the Namco team with Prime 4. During this time, Retro still had enough team to continue on the Prime Trilogy remake.
-After the Retro Studios artists apparently nailed it out of the park with their designs for both Metroid Prime 4 and the Metroid Trilogy remake, NoJ became convinced Retro Studios should absolutely be the one to work on Metroid Prime 4 and cancelled the stuff from Namco to reboot the project with Retro and Tanabe working together again.
-As a result, with Retro focusing on both Prime 4 and Prime Trilogy remake, Retro could only have enough people to work on Prime 1 Remastered while the rest were working with Prime 4. So the idea appears to be that Retro would finish up with the first Prime Remaster and Nintendo would outsource Prime 2 and 3 to one or two other studios using Prime 1 Remaster as the establishment in visuals and style for them to emulate.

It's not so much a leak as it's more what the guy heard what happened with Retro, NoJ and Namco regarding Prime Trilogy Remake and Metroid Prime 4 with a bit of his own speculation near the end(like thinking it will be full price when this turned out not to be the case), but that said, it does provide a base on what Retro had possibly been doing since Tropical Freeze. In a summary, Tropical Freeze -> Project that got cancelled -> Metroid Prime Trilogy Remake -> Metroid Prime 4 and only enough to focus on remastering Metroid Prime 1.
I'm legitimately curious what that cancelled project was. There's been a few rumors around it, but I don't think it's really been talked about and I'd like to know what it was and what happened to it.

As for the insider, it's believable based on what we know, and considering they brought on Iron Galaxy to help with MP1 remaster I wouldn't be surprised if they're the ones that got tapped for future MP2 and MP3 remasters. If they're as good as what I'm hearing on with MP1 then they're in for a solid set of remasters.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Do you think spore rep in smash could work?
I can't imagine a general Spore creature, however Spore does actually have an important character, or well antagonists, that are important to the original game. That being The Grox. I can't imagine fully how The Grox would work but I think using general aggressive attacks that creatures use + attacks that their spaceships can do on a smaller scale could work pretty decently, final Smash could be the Galactic Core

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
DCCC33F2-2202-459F-8F4E-A390C44D82E0.jpeg

I think we can safely say at this point Riko, our new protagonist for the anime, is starting with Sprigatito. I’d say buy stock in Meowscarada for our Gen 9 rep.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hmm, so supposedly this is an insider from two years ago in regards to Metroid Prime Remastered and Metroid Prime 4.

-So Retro was doing something after Tropical Freeze before it got cancelled and Nintendo asked them to remake the Metroid Prime Trilogy from the ground up.
-Eventually, Nintendo of Japan became concerned about Namco's work on Prime 4, and in particular the level design for Prime 4 and had some of the art team from Retro Studios to go and help the Namco team with Prime 4. During this time, Retro still had enough team to continue on the Prime Trilogy remake.
-After the Retro Studios artists apparently nailed it out of the park with their designs for both Metroid Prime 4 and the Metroid Trilogy remake, NoJ became convinced Retro Studios should absolutely be the one to work on Metroid Prime 4 and cancelled the stuff from Namco to reboot the project with Retro and Tanabe working together again.
-As a result, with Retro focusing on both Prime 4 and Prime Trilogy remake, Retro could only have enough people to work on Prime 1 Remastered while the rest were working with Prime 4. So the idea appears to be that Retro would finish up with the first Prime Remaster and Nintendo would outsource Prime 2 and 3 to one or two other studios using Prime 1 Remaster as the establishment in visuals and style for them to emulate.

It's not so much a leak as it's more what the guy heard what happened with Retro, NoJ and Namco regarding Prime Trilogy Remake and Metroid Prime 4 with a bit of his own speculation near the end(like thinking it will be full price when this turned out not to be the case), but that said, it does provide a base on what Retro had possibly been doing since Tropical Freeze. In a summary, Tropical Freeze -> Project that got cancelled -> Metroid Prime Trilogy Remake -> Metroid Prime 4 and only enough to focus on remastering Metroid Prime 1.
FWIW, this also happened at one point:

Though it is nice that we're finally getting an idea as to what happened to Retro between Tropical Freeze and Prime 4...

Troykv

Smash Master
View attachment 367884

I think we can safely say at this point Riko, our new protagonist for the anime, is starting with Sprigatito. I’d say buy stock in Meowscarada for our Gen 9 rep.
I can see it happening depending how fast things move in the franchise, considering how this games are moving so fast.

BTW, what happened with your poll? I have been a bit unactive in Smashboards, so I maybe I lose track of when the next one starts.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I can see it happening depending how fast things move in the franchise, considering how this games are moving so fast.

BTW, what happened with your poll? I have been a bit unactive in Smashboards, so I maybe I lose track of when the next one starts.
Next part should be out soon, had to rewrite some parts to make it flow better. Expect it this month. Pokémon should be out sooner afterwords.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Funny thing is, I remember "Style Savvy 5" being reported as initially developed for 3DS, and later having its development move to the Switch. I wonder if halfway through, syn Sophia was told Nintendo didn't want to continue...
It’s funny because the Style Savvy games were huge on DS given that system had a large female install-base, on 3DS they didn’t do as well but that’s in part because Nintendo of America didn’t bother giving them physical releases and there was less games targeted towards a female audience on the console.

With the Switch’s install-base, you’d think a Style Savvy game would sell like hotcakes, especially since it’s been 15 years since the original game (this year is the anniversary as a matter of fact) people would have nostalgia for the original games.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Speaking of Pokémon, I realized something based on what we know of development timeframes and how long it takes to create a newcomer from scratch:

Even if Smash 6 doesn't happen until a short ways into Gen 10, we may still see only a Gen 9 newcomer in the base game.

We know it takes roughly six months to finish a new fighter, that Smash waits to pull the trigger on brand new characters until their debut games are almost ready lest the source material change in ways they can't adjust to (which is why Byleth couldn't have been earlier in Ultimate DLC than the #5 slot), and that Pokémon holds true to this despite having placeholder spots for the base roster nowadays (one of Sakurai's videos revealed that Ultimate's project plan was revised for the last time on November 1st of 2016, a mere two and a half weeks before Sun and Moon came out). If Smash 6's launch date is too soon after Gen 10's, there simply wouldn't be enough time to develop a Gen 10 newcomer from start to finish--they'd need more breathing room, like how Smash 4 came out a year after Gen 6 started. Gen 10 would be an easy frontrunner for the first round of DLC, but that's neither here nor there.

Maybe they'd have a Gen 9 pick penciled in, then wait a little while to break ground on it until they had a clearer idea of when the release window for Smash and Gen 10 would be? But they'd have to commit before long, especially if Smash 6 is in development right now which I bet it is.

No, Corrin wasn't an exception to the timing thing. Fire Emblem Fates released in Japan in June 2015, roughly 7 1/2 months before Corrin was added to Smash 4. Fates just took unusually long to come out worldwide even by standards of the day,

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of Pokémon, I realized something based on what we know of development timeframes and how long it takes to create a newcomer from scratch:

Even if Smash 6 doesn't happen until a short ways into Gen 10, we may still see only a Gen 9 newcomer in the base game.

We know it takes roughly six months to finish a new fighter, that Smash waits to pull the trigger on brand new characters until their debut games are almost ready lest the source material change in ways they can't adjust to (which is why Byleth couldn't have been earlier in Ultimate DLC than the #5 slot), and that Pokémon holds true to this despite having placeholder spots for the base roster nowadays (one of Sakurai's videos revealed that Ultimate's project plan was revised for the last time on November 1st of 2016, a mere two and a half weeks before Sun and Moon came out). If Smash 6's launch date is too soon after Gen 10's, there simply wouldn't be enough time to develop a Gen 10 newcomer from start to finish--they'd need more breathing room, like how Smash 4 came out a year after Gen 6 started. Gen 10 would be an easy frontrunner for the first round of DLC, but that's neither here nor there.

Maybe they'd have a Gen 9 pick penciled in, then wait a little while to break ground on it until they had a clearer idea of when the release window for Smash and Gen 10 would be? But they'd have to commit before long, especially if Smash 6 is in development right now which I bet it is.

No, Corrin wasn't an exception to the timing thing. Fire Emblem Fates released in Japan in June 2015, roughly 7 1/2 months before Corrin was added to Smash 4. Fates just took unusually long to come out worldwide even by standards of the day,
That’s a good point and it’s definitely possible. I think Sakurai does get advanced information about Pokémon before the game actually releases. I believe he said something to the effect with Greninja but I may be misremembering. If so, and he begins working on a Gen 10 Pokémon before release, I would think that increases its chances. If Gen 10 comes out several months before Smash, I would think that could be a feasible option, not that Gen 9 is off the table either. I’d personally love it if we didn’t have to be limited to just the newest game for our options. There’s a certain ghost Pokémon I’d be extremely hyped for who also happens to be among the most popular overall.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Maybe with Dry Bowser, you could take Bowser's Melee moveset...but make Dry Bowser himself light and faster (since he's a skeleton) and give him an alternate Final Smash where his disembodied head floats around, shoots blue fireballs, and chomps on opponents (based on King Boo's boss battle from the first Luigi's Mansion)? Honestly, along with Alph and Shadow, Dry Bowser's one of those Echo Fighters that was a missed opportunity. It'll at least save people from the feces of his Spirit Battle, anyway.
Speaking of...
Know what? Decidueye is overrated. I would've taken Rowlet alongside Incineroar just for how dang cute the former is.
Decided to make movesets for both characters.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Apparently there wasn’t anything that was hard cancelled by Retro but a bunch of pitches that didn’t quite get Nintendo on board. There’s a whole lot of rumors floating around as to what else they worked on but it’s pretty apparent that whatever they were pitching just didn’t pan out.

There was rumors of a major cancellation on multiple occasions and that may have been true but it happened so early on it didn’t make it far.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Apparently Retro made the new Prime remake.

So that explains a couple years.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Apparently there wasn’t anything that was hard cancelled by Retro but a bunch of pitches that didn’t quite get Nintendo on board. There’s a whole lot of rumors floating around as to what else they worked on but it’s pretty apparent that whatever they were pitching just didn’t pan out.

There was rumors of a major cancellation on multiple occasions and that may have been true but it happened so early on it didn’t make it far.
On the other hand there's the rumor that whatever Retro was working on between DKCTF and Prime 1 (which preceded Prime 4) was supposed to be shown at E32015, but Nintendo scrapped it from the show because they felt it wasn't ready.

Which is also compounded, circumstantially, by this tweet, a week before the show, that amounted to nothing

There was also this, by the guy who, retrospectively, accurately had all that Prime remake info from a couple years ago:
The only thing that was accurate was the rumor about the project they'd been working on since Tropical Freeze released was canceled. That was true.
It was an adventure game that started out as existing IP then morphed into new IP but just ultimately didn't work out. Hopefully someday someone who's better acquainted with it can fill us in on more.

So... I think there was a project that made it... decently far, that ended up scrapped. Certainly past the pitching stage.

I mean if Retro never got past the pitching stage between 2014 and 2018 (when they allegedly went back to Metroid)... then they were even worse shape than we believed. I can't imagine that was the case, that would've left much of the staff without anything to do. For four years? And yet they were still hiring?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Retro seems to have a bad track record of finishing what they start. Their early history is infamously rough (it's a miracle the studio survived long enough to make Prime 1), we just found out about a ton of scrapped DS/Wii era games, and everything between about 2014 and 2019 is a mystery.

I'm seeing a lot of myself in them. I don't know if you can diagnose a game studio with ADHD but I think it's worth a shot

dream1ng

Smash Lord
To be fair, a lot of the games you hear about were pitches that never progressed to real development, and that's not a rarity in game development.

All those different Zelda and Metroid games? The Star Fox game? Those were just pitches. Of course pitches usually come with concept art and maybe a prototype, but keep in mind that the number of pitches far outweigh the number of games that actually get made from basically any developer.

Just think how many ideas have simply been pitched inside EPD, let alone had some tentative work done, let alone progressed a bit but ultimately never completed. You're just likelier to hear about Retro's failed ideas because they're western.

Though yeah, in Retro's early days they were all over the place, but that was before Nintendo took tighter control of them and they became a full subsidiary.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
View attachment 367936
made a tier list ranking what I expect to be upgraded from Assists in whatever the next game is
You're overrating Lyn and Alucard if you're putting them any higher than maybe.

Also, if 'have factors but time has passed' is a category, then Skull Kid, Midna, Krystal, and Spring-Man should be in that category. And, quite frankly, you can make a strong argument that that is where Lyn belongs, given the FE promo machine doesn't look backwards. And if Zero and Shovel Knight aren't in 'maybe', they should at least be in that category, especially if Alucard is up there.

Also if that category just refers to any character who had factors at one point but has been timed out, then Starfy, Goroh, and Ghirahim were at one time fairly popular and had decent resumes, though that was a while back and they're not getting in any time soon.

Though time passing isn't the factor keeping Ashley or Takamaru out, so I'm a little confused. It all looks a bit like playing favorites, since there are characters in the big pool who have very similar situations to some of the ones you've rated highly.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 367936
made a tier list ranking what I expect to be upgraded from Assists in whatever the next game is
The Alucard mod for Ultimate is absolutely lovely, but...I am not sure how he'd be likely at all? Castlevania having 2 reps is a miracle considering the state the franchise has been in for quite some time. Alucard totally belongs in "have factors but time has passed" but I'm curious as to why Alucard was chosen for the top category. Also, Ashley always continues to be relevant enough as long as Wario Ware continues as a franchise, which it still does, so time hasn't exactly passed for her. I'd put Black Knight, Skull Kid, Spring Man, Midna, and Krystal in the "have factors but time has passed" category.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Lmao I guess some explanations are in order cause I can tell y’all don’t really know what to think of this.

For the top three, pretty simple stuff.

Waluigi- Top fan request
Lyn- Massive breakout character
Alucard- Considered for Ultimate

All these are factors on why I think these three would be next in line to be playable. Don’t think I really need to explain more.

I also dunno why some of you think Isaac and Bomberman aren’t high enough? I think both have factors in their favor I just mainly see their evidence as circumstantial, Isaac I think probably would need a new release to be considered because not only is the character dormant but so is the IP, and for Bomberman just if they see incentive on upgrading him since he was purposefully negotiated as an Assist trophy, I do think he’s a significant enough character but it really just depends on what the team thinks.

For Ashley and Takamaru, look, I think both are deserving of being in Smash, but I also feel like Ultimate was the perfect opportunity to add both and they were passed on. Both of them had Mii Costumes in Smash 4 which they could’ve used to gauge interest, it feels to me like a conscious decision not to include them but that’s just speculation on my part.

And for the characters in “Everyone else” guys I’mma be honest I can’t really see any of them for a variety of factors, Krystal and Star Fox is currently largely dormant, I feel other indies would be added over Shovel Knight, Knuckles has the issue of Sonic not being a popular IP in Japan, Spring Man I just can’t see with Min-Min, like guys I just can’t see a lot of these being added I gotta be real here.

I will take constructive criticism though, I could move some of those characters to “Time has passed” and maybe move Ashley and Takamaru to “maybe”, so if I make another version of this I will consider that. I also mayve rated Alucard higher than I should’ve in hindsight, I stand by Lyn though. I’m never afraid to admit when I could do better in areas so I appreciate feedback.

Also, this isn’t what I want lmao, this is merely what I expect to happen as I prefaced in the original post, hope that clarifies things.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Lmao I guess some explanations are in order cause I can tell y’all don’t really know what to think of this.

For the top three, pretty simple stuff.

Waluigi- Top fan request
Lyn- Massive breakout character
Alucard- Considered for Ultimate

All these are factors on why I think these three would be next in line to be playable. Don’t think I really need to explain more.

I also dunno why some of you think Isaac and Bomberman aren’t high enough? I think both have factors in their favor I just mainly see their evidence as circumstantial, Isaac I think probably would need a new release to be considered because not only is the character dormant but so is the IP, and for Bomberman just if they see incentive on upgrading him since he was purposefully negotiated as an Assist trophy, I do think he’s a significant enough character but it really just depends on what the team thinks.

For Ashley and Takamaru, look, I think both are deserving of being in Smash, but I also feel like Ultimate was the perfect opportunity to add both and they were passed on. Both of them had Mii Costumes in Smash 4 which they could’ve used to gauge interest, it feels to me like a conscious decision not to include them but that’s just speculation on my part.

And for the characters in “Everyone else” guys I’mma be honest I can’t really see any of them for a variety of factors, Krystal and Star Fox is currently largely dormant, I feel other indies would be added over Shovel Knight, Knuckles has the issue of Sonic not being a popular IP in Japan, Spring Man I just can’t see with Min-Min, like guys I just can’t see a lot of these being added I gotta be real here.

I will take constructive criticism though, I could move some of those characters to “Time has passed” and maybe move Ashley and Takamaru to “maybe”, so if I make another version of this I will consider that. I also mayve rated Alucard higher than I should’ve in hindsight, I stand by Lyn though. I’m never afraid to admit when I could do better in areas so I appreciate feedback.

Also, this isn’t what I want lmao, this is merely what I expect to happen as I prefaced in the original post, hope that clarifies things.
Part of me wants to joke about Dr. Kawashima being too low, but honestly I think you've gotten too much backlash as is, so I'll leave it out.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Anyways, lemme do a write-up on factors that make me see Lyn for the next game.
C1A0342C-BBF8-4554-8116-25DAFF401E34.jpeg

First thing’s first she won CYL1 in the woman’s bracket.
5284FED2-9E9F-4A5F-892B-D308C0DFE1B9.jpeg

And if you look at the votes she got she actually won by a landslide, it wasn’t even a competition really (unless you count Ike having two variants but I digress)
603B5FBD-1FD2-416F-A4D8-7E3B745FB473.jpeg

Then you have the fact that after the fact she became a recurring character, starting with Fire Emblem Warriors which outside of Celica, she was the only character in the game that did not come from one of the main three represented.
B05D21A7-EB97-4F47-9806-6B3F6AB8DA6F.jpeg

She also was the Emblem chosen for Blazing Blade in Engage‘s base game, and halfway through the game plays a very big role in the story along with Lucina.
8855D894-AA06-4EE6-AF00-888B2FF2D4F1.jpeg

Then there is the matter of her alts, she currently has the most alts of any character in all of Fire Emblem Heroes, only tied with Camilla.
6E31F7FA-2B28-4432-A7E8-99B2BDDAE025.jpeg

That image wasn’t even all of them.
BAC884DF-8EB7-4CEB-AA80-7408F54536E1.jpeg

Lastly there is the matter of her statue, many Fire Emblem characters have gotten statues but I think it speaks volume that she was able to get one despite not being a recent character herself, designed by her original artist nonetheless.

Lyn became a breakout character in 2017, this was two years after Ultimate finished planning. I don’t think they were remotely aware of just how popular she was at the time. However another Smash game could be a chance to rectify that, as I think her popularity and recurring status bodes well for her chances.
1676127728532.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
View attachment 367950
Then there is the matter of her alts, she currently has the most alts of any character in all of Fire Emblem Heroes.
View attachment 367951
Technically, it's Camilla who does, as one of the Lyns is an alternate costume for the original Lyn while Camilla does have 9 units technically, but one is part of a Duo/Shared Unit with Hinoka who is the lead unit. But whether you don't count the backpack units from Duos or you do count the Resplendent/Alternate costumes, both Lyn and Camilla are tied.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Technically, it's Camilla who does, as one of the Lyns is an alternate costume for the original Lyn while Camilla does have 9 units technically, but one is part of a Duo/Shared Unit with Hinoka who is the lead unit. But whether you don't count the backpack units from Duos or you do count the Resplendent/Alternate costumes, both Lyn and Camilla are tied.
Yeah I was counting alternate costumes, I completely forgot she was tied with Camilla though so I’ll add that to the original post.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 367936
Honestly I don't take issue with the top five like many others do. My issue is more so like...the rest lol. Especially when more than a few in the bottom tier would and should feasibly be in Time Has Passed with Takamaru and Ashley.

Skull Kid, Spring Man, Starfy, Shovel Knight, Samurai Goroh, Midna, Krystal, Knuckles, Ghirahim, and Dillon all had notable demand and pretty good résumés, much like Ashley and Takamaru, but time likewise hasn't been as kind to them (though in the case of Knuckles specifically it has more to do with Eggman and Tails existing lol).

Spring Man especially stands out in this regard. He's the clear next in line for a game that had a successful first outing, is likely to get a sequel down the road, and still has a vocal amount of people asking for him. There's absolutely no reason for him to be in the same tier of likelihood as Flies and Hand.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Honestly I don't take issue with the top five like many others do. My issue is more so like...the rest lol. Especially when more than a few in the bottom tier would and should feasibly be in Time Has Passed with Takamaru and Ashley.

Skull Kid, Spring Man, Starfy, Shovel Knight, Samurai Goroh, Midna, Krystal, Knuckles, Ghirahim, and Dillon all had notable demand and pretty good résumés, much like Ashley and Takamaru, but time likewise hasn't been as kind to them (though in the case of Knuckles specifically it has more to do with Eggman and Tails existing lol).

Spring Man especially stands out in this regard. He's the clear next in line for a game that had a successful first outing, is likely to get a sequel down the road, and still has a vocal amount of people asking for him. There's absolutely no reason for him to be in the same tier of likelihood as Flies and Hand.
Yeah I agree with you I could move them to that tier, you’re absolutely right.

If I make another version of this I’ll definitely do that cause I do think that’s more appropriate for them especially considering like you said some of the assists there feasibly cannot work.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
View attachment 367958
decided to go ahead and make a new version of the list, I appreciate all of your feedback on the original it was helpful.
I think this is more comprehensive, and that's definitely a strength, though Lyn and Alucard are still overrated here, but they're your favorites, so it's probably not changing.

I know you called Lyn a 'breakout character', but she's not a recent breakout character. It didn't happen in 2017, that's just when your results start. She's a character that had high popularity since appearing, twenty years ago, which has proved insufficient to prompt FE looking backward in the face of current characters for the last two games, in which time her Smash demand has declined, in no small part due to how much other content FE has received, to levels that won't prompt addition.

Frankly, time has passed on Lyn, unless she leads a future game, or they completely reevaluate phased out characters. Though there's no reason to believe they would that would justify seeing her as 'highly likely'. 'Maybe' for Lyn seems more than fair to me.

Pokemon has a **** ton of popular old characters, but it doesn't matter, because promotion marches on.

And Alucard was considered for Ultimate as the Castlevania character. A spot that went to the other two. Decidueye was also considered for Ultimate in the spot that went to Incineroar. By this logic, Bartz and Terra and Cecil should be in 'high probability', because they were also considered for the spot that went to Cloud, when Sakurai was thinking which FF character he'd add. I know Alucard is more popular than they are, but the reasoning you give is actually a closed door, because it was an allocated spot, so now Alucard would have to get in on his own merits, as a second original Castlevania character.

So again, I think 'maybe' is very fair for Alucard.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyways, lemme do a write-up on factors that make me see Lyn for the next game.
View attachment 367945
First thing’s first she won CYL1 in the woman’s bracket.
View attachment 367947
And if you look at the votes she got she actually won by a landslide, it wasn’t even a competition really (unless you count Ike having two variants but I digress)View attachment 367943
Then you have the fact that after the fact she became a recurring character, starting with Fire Emblem Warriors which outside of Celica, she was the only character in the game that did not come from one of the main three represented.
View attachment 367949
She also was the Emblem chosen for Blazing Blade in Engage‘s base game, and halfway through the game plays a very big role in the story along with Lucina.
View attachment 367950
Then there is the matter of her alts, she currently has the most alts of any character in all of Fire Emblem Heroes, only tied with Camilla.
View attachment 367951
View attachment 367952
Lastly there is the matter of her statue, many Fire Emblem characters have gotten statues but I think it speaks volume that she was able to get one despite not being a recent character herself, designed by her original artist nonetheless.

Lyn became a breakout character in 2017, this was two years after Ultimate finished planning. I don’t think they were remotely aware of just how popular she was at the time. However another Smash game could be a chance to rectify that, as I think her popularity and recurring status bodes well for her chances.
View attachment 367953
Yes.

Engage basically made sure all the popular and relevant characters from Smash will stay relevant. Also advertisement for probable remakes of FE4 / 5 in one potential game, which could / should lead to remakes of FE 6 + 7 and quite probably FE 9 + 10.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think this is more comprehensive, and that's definitely a strength, though Lyn and Alucard are still overrated here, but they're your favorites, so it's probably not changing.

I know you called Lyn a 'breakout character', but she's not a recent breakout character. It didn't happen in 2017, that's just when your results start. She's a character that had high popularity since appearing, twenty years ago, which has proved insufficient to prompt FE looking backward in the face of current characters for the last two games, in which time her Smash demand has declined, in no small part due to how much other content FE has received, to levels that won't prompt addition.

Frankly, time has passed on Lyn, unless she leads a future game, or they completely reevaluate phased out characters. Though there's no reason to believe they would that would justify seeing her as 'highly likely'. 'Maybe' for Lyn seems more than fair to me.

Pokemon has a **** ton of popular old characters, but it doesn't matter, because promotion marches on.

And Alucard was considered for Ultimate as the Castlevania character. A spot that went to the other two. Decidueye was also considered for Ultimate in the spot that went to Incineroar. By this logic, Bartz and Terra and Cecil should be in 'high probability', because they were also considered for the spot that went to Cloud, when Sakurai was thinking which FF character he'd add. I know Alucard is more popular than they are, but the reasoning you give is actually a closed door, because it was an allocated spot, so now Alucard would have to get in on his own merits, as a second original Castlevania character.

So again, I think 'maybe' is very fair for Alucard.
Honestly this is a very fair jurisdiction, I can definitely see the case for them being in ‘maybe’ you make a lot of good points. Not to get defensive but I didn’t put either though cause I was picking favorites, I just legitimately see the merit for both of them being in. But what you said is perfectly sound, they’re a bit more of a gamble then someone like Waluigi. I’m perfectly content with considering them maybes. At the very least we can agree on Waluigi.
Yes.

Engage basically made sure all the popular and relevant characters from Smash will stay relevant. Also advertisement for probable remakes of FE4 / 5 in one potential game, which could / should lead to remakes of FE 6 + 7 and quite probably FE 9 + 10.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking, since Engage brought back every protagonist I feel like they’re all on the table, I brought this up on Discord but I’m not sure about Alear because of a similar reason Rex was dropped, that Pyra was in the background and he thought fans wouldn’t like that, it made me think Emblems might be the same thing so they might just wanna use a protag instead, or even another character from Engage altogether.

At the same time it might not even be Lyn they choose, I could see Sigurd too especially with the rumored FE4 remake, but they’d have to figure out how he’d work considering he rides on horseback.

Last edited:
Top Bottom