• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
i don't care if we have to break his moveset, i want olimar to get those ice pikmin
I mean that new protag has a strong chance to at least be another alt costume, but they could hypothetically expand them into a semiclone type of thing with Ice Pikmin and possibly some other stuff.
Let's see how the game does; maybe it can break 2mil sales.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Layton of all IPs was definitely not on my mind when thinking on who will make a comeback! It's a really pleasant surprise.

I look forward to it and the not-danganronpa detective game.

It truly sucks that TotK is $70 for no explisible reason, it dampers a bit of my excitement even though I'm really excited for the game regardless and especially with Ganondorf finally making a return to a mainline Zelda game since Twilight Princess.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Why do they need three more months for AW? Hasn't that been done for like a year now?

Ghost Trick is super hype though. Been hoping for that for a while now. Also need to get around to playing Layton soon, too.

And Gameboy line on NSO ****ing finally. Little underwhlemed by the opening line-up but the promise of Pokemon TCG and Golden Sun are pretty hype. Also never in a million years expected Kururuin to get acknowledged again that's kinda neat.

0/10 no rhythm heaven /s

SPEN18

Smash Champion
It was pretty good for what it was. Just pretty on-script.
Probably was even more exciting for folks who don't regularly follow the rumors/leaks and internet talk.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Thoughts;

Nintendo Direct was decent. Nothing really shined for me personally but then again, I have become more jaded with Modern Gaming. 7/10

Also $70 gaming is aids.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
My purchasing decision of Tears of a Kingdom is entirely dependent on early reviews at this point. Nothing about it screams a release day buy yet, especially at $70.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
My purchasing decision of Tears of a Kingdom is entirely dependent on early reviews at this point. Nothing about it screams a release day buy yet, especially at $70.
Don't buy it regardless. Just gives Nintendo incentive to get away with such practices. Buy it used or even go the seven seas

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it looks bad, but after six years and a more expensive price, I need a bit more to hype me than a few vehicles and some stuff in the sky.

Majora's Mask used the same assets, but its entire premise got me immediately interested. At present (and I'm sure there's all kinds of stuff Nintendo has yet to reveal) it just feels kinda there. Give me a big revelation like playable Zelda and maybe that'll change.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Level-5 as a whole is back! A new IP that honestly looks pretty neat, Fantasy Life getting a sequal, PROFESSOR LAYTON COMING BACK, the only thing missing is that Yo-kai Watch 4 English release.

Yeah, I know, that's probably dead, but LET ME DREAM, HAROLD!
I hope we also get a western release of Megaton Musashi sometime soon.
I liked the anime that came out for that game and the game itself looks fun.

Pls Level 5 i want my cool robot battle game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm going to wait for TOTK to have a sale or is used. I'm not paying 70 in that case. I might do so for a super old and hard to get game, but I try to cap at 50 even then. At least nowadays.

Looks really cool, though.

Also, Ice Pikmin. Finally, some new ones. I really hope we get a new Pikmin & Captain character in Smash. That might not even be the only new Pikmin itself.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Now that was a very meh direct. Save for Prime, the GB/GBA stuff, and maybe one or two other things, it reminded me of a Wii U Direct. Just going over games we've already seen and an underwhelming showing from the third-parties (overall - there were a few neat things).

And even with Prime, while the game expectedly looks good, and a shadowdrop is cool on the day... if it was releasing this soon into 2023, it would've been nice to get it revealed in the Direct last fall, let people hype over it. Though that may be because Nintendo was still trying to figure out the Metroid series release schedule.

And in general, though the Direct wasn't that great, I get it, and I wasn't expecting a whole lot more. Maybe one or two more old ports, but whatever. The Switch isn't Nintendo's focus anymore. It's clearly in its twilight years, and the priority has mostly moved to what's next.

And if Layton is making a return hopefully his popularity does as well, since he'd be an interesting inclusion in Smash.

Oh and I think it's funny they revealed and released a Prime game and didn't even acknowledge the one they had already announced.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Also that Bandai-Namco 3D action game is still MIA. I'm kinda 40/40/20 between it being Kid Icarus / Star Fox / something else.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'll post the idea for a character moveset for Smash if you all don't mind.

Foreman Spike

Coming from Wrecking Crew, Foreman Spike joins the battle. A heavy fighter like Wario (he appears like he did in Mobile Golf), Foreman actually has strong attacks, but is not too slow like other heavyweight characters. He does use weapons from Wrecking Crew itself. He has a fairly big hitbox, and he falls slow, and has a medium jump. His special moves are...

B: Hammer Swing: Foreman Spike swings his hammer, which deals strong damage if it hits. He sometimes summons the Golden Hammer, which deals a few stronger and faster hits.

B Side: Enemy Summoning: Like Duck Hunt's use of the gunmen, Foreman Spike sends out enemies like Gotchawrench, Eggplant Man and Fireball at his opponents. These enemies appear randomly, with fireball being the least likely, but doing the most damage.

B Down: Drum Drop: With this, a Drum is made by Foreman Spike to appear above. When an enemy gets under it, the drum will drop, covering and trapping the foreman's foe should the drum land on them. There can only be two drums out at a time.

B Up: Breaking Floor: A piece of floor appears under Foreman Spike, which he then hammers for a jump boost up high. Sometimes, dynamite will appear under the floor, allowing for a higher jump boost.

Final Smash: Wrecking Crane: Foreman Spike charges at an opponent. If the opponent is hit, a cutscene will happen where the foreman sits and operates a crane and attacks the opponent with it. After several hits, the opponent is sent flying into a building, which then detonates and collapses, which then sends the player flying.

So, what do you all think of this?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Direct:
Ghost Trick HD - Instant buy!
GBA games Expansion Pack only - Booo! When Mother 3?
New Drivers in MK8 Booster Pass - Yay! When Pauline?

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Hi, style savvy is dead, that is why this has been the worst direct for, and at the same time been the best direct since everything else was amazing, so it is a 5/10 for me, what I want , at the greatest cost.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Level-5 wanted to make a comeback to the west, and they certainly did so as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully we'll hear about the western release of yo-Kai Watch 4 and Inazuma Eleven soon too.
Just when I gave up on the idea of a english translation of YKW 4 this had to happen and get me all excited again.

I wish for next Smash we could get either FC Shulk or this new older one. as costumes for Shulk.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Just when I gave up on the idea of a english translation of YKW 4 this had to happen and get me all excited again.

I wish for next Smash we could get either FC Shulk or this new older one. as costumes for Shulk.
I'll be waiting for when the next Smash comes around and people ask for Rex, but the XB3 version instead of XB2 Rex unironically. It was rather funny seeing some people's view on him change after the picture of him in Xenoblade 3. popped up. :smirk:

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Ya seems like they still care about Magolor. He had some votes on the ballot I know, and this'll also help him out some. Tbh I would've preferred it if they had decided to push him and Marx in the Kirby series as the next pair of "villains who become recurring friends" instead of pushing BWD so much, but it is what it is.

And ya ngl beard boy Rex looks pretty cool dual-wielding the Aegises.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I'll post the idea for a character moveset for Smash if you all don't mind.

Foreman Spike

Coming from Wrecking Crew, Foreman Spike joins the battle. A heavy fighter like Wario (he appears like he did in Mobile Golf), Foreman actually has strong attacks, but is not too slow like other heavyweight characters. He does use weapons from Wrecking Crew itself. He has a fairly big hitbox, and he falls slow, and has a medium jump. His special moves are...

B: Hammer Swing: Foreman Spike swings his hammer, which deals strong damage if it hits. He sometimes summons the Golden Hammer, which deals a few stronger and faster hits.

B Side: Enemy Summoning: Like Duck Hunt's use of the gunmen, Foreman Spike sends out enemies like Gotchawrench, Eggplant Man and Fireball at his opponents. These enemies appear randomly, with fireball being the least likely, but doing the most damage.

B Down: Drum Drop: With this, a Drum is made by Foreman Spike to appear above. When an enemy gets under it, the drum will drop, covering and trapping the foreman's foe should the drum land on them. There can only be two drums out at a time.

B Up: Breaking Floor: A piece of floor appears under Foreman Spike, which he then hammers for a jump boost up high. Sometimes, dynamite will appear under the floor, allowing for a higher jump boost.

Final Smash: Wrecking Crane: Foreman Spike charges at an opponent. If the opponent is hit, a cutscene will happen where the foreman sits and operates a crane and attacks the opponent with it. After several hits, the opponent is sent flying into a building, which then detonates and collapses, which then sends the player flying.

So, what do you all think of this?
I like the way you think. It's that retro deep cut but at the same time will be relevant again in the near future.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
I think somehow Ice Pikmin will for sure be represented in the next Smash. The element of ice already exists in Smash which makes it more easier to implement than finding a use for Rock Pikmin. Idk if it'll be through Olimar, or a possible echo? It depends on the direction, and if Olimar makes a return in Pikmin 4 or not and how major of a role he'd have.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’d love to see Olimar implement the ice Pikmin into his moveset. I also miss when he had five Pikmin in Brawl rather than the three he currently has. I found him more fun to play back then personally.

Speaking of ice in Smash, how do you think they’d handle Sub-Zero’s freezing ability if he somehow made it into Smash? The way freezing works in Mortal Kombat is completely different than Smash. In MK, it completely freezes you in place for a short time while Smash sends you flying off in a chunk of ice. I imagine that using Smash’s freezing mechanics would fundamentally change how Sub-Zero plays. Do you think they’d stick to Smash’s freeze mechanics or make an exception for Sub-Zero and make it closer to how it works in MK?

Ice is my favorite element in gaming characters and I’d love to see more characters with an affinity for ice in general. Arthas and Glacius would also be a ton of fun.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of ice in Smash, how do you think they’d handle Sub-Zero’s freezing ability if he somehow made it into Smash? The way freezing works in Mortal Kombat is completely different than Smash. In MK, it completely freezes you in place for a short time while Smash sends you flying off in a chunk of ice. I imagine that using Smash’s freezing mechanics would fundamentally change how Sub-Zero plays. Do you think they’d stick to Smash’s freeze mechanics or make an exception for Sub-Zero and make it closer to how it works in MK?
They'd probably stick to Smash's ice mechanics as putting Sub-Zero in Smash will already fundamentally change how he plays.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You know, with people discussing the new Ice Pikmin, how come I've yet to see one suggest Alph(or the new character) becoming an Echo and getting Rock and Ice Pikmin? I'm seeing more add onto Olimar's moveset posts compared to trying to make Alph an Echo Fighter like he was originally going to be.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
My biggest worry about implementing a MK character would be their up-b... I wouldn't want a bad recovery like Chrom or Little Mac, but going strictly by source material I don't see many of the MK cast having a smash styled recovery. Scorpion could at least tether the ledge with his harpoon... Ermac and others could teleport like Zelda (ugh)...

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, with people discussing the new Ice Pikmin, how come I've yet to see one suggest Alph(or the new character) becoming an Echo and getting Rock and Ice Pikmin? I'm seeing more add onto Olimar's moveset posts compared to trying to make Alph an Echo Fighter like he was originally going to be.
We don't even know if Alph is going to be in Pikmin 4, though.

Sure, they could take some artistic liberty but at that point, adding the new MC is also an option.

Top Bottom