• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as the Direct, I'm a bit ambivalent. The one last September was kind of revelatory in regards to what Nintendo was choosing to promote (and arguably work on in general), and has solidified a sense in to strongly keep expectations in check and hope I can can get one or two updates that might look intriguing. The kind of franchise revivals/sequels I'm interested in don't appear to be a priority and I'm not keen on once again getting my hopes up about finally getting that one Switch reveal that I'm been waiting on. If there's cool stuff great, but I don't think strong hype is coming back for me until the next console, though I do hope others are able to keep their excitement up.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Direct expectations tempered somewhat since we already know so many items that are likely to be there, including TOTK, Pikmin, Kirby RTD, Advance Wars, and various DLCs that will probably eat up those 40 mins quite fast. We already know a lot of the first half of 2023, and for whatever they're worth there are those rumors about a slower second half.
Still, I am pretty excited to see what's there and maybe there's room for one or two truly stunning announcements. Holding out hope and rooting strongly as usual for the litter of series I'd like to see back, including Golden Sun, DK, Star Fox, and more.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don't have any expectations really but I'm going to be surprised if we don't have at least Zelda. I'm still not sure about Advance Wars.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Fighters Pass 3 or I sleep.

The only Direct prediction I have is that the new Piranha Plant Cove course being added to Mario Lart Tour tomorrow is announced to be coming to 8 Deluxe.
Bit early for that. The next Booster Pass drop probably isn't till March/April.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Wait, twice? I knew about the one due to Ukraine... WTF lol. Poor game, never gonna catch a break!
9/11 was a factor for the first game to be deyaled in Europe to Early 2002, and ironically cancelling the Japanese release. At least it got bundled with the sequel just a few days after the DS was released.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I love F-Zero, but to be fair, it had a lot of chances. It got a game every gen for three gens, three GBA games, a Smash character and an anime.

It's not so much that it was unlucky, it's just that after the first game... it didn't sell that well.

And no, I don't think Nagoshi's claim over GX's sales is accurate considering that number can't be corroborated by Nintendo's own records.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Lol y'all are confusing me. To set things straight:
AW Reboot Camp has had two delays but only one was due to world events. The AW series as a whole has also had two games get delayed, both due to world events.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I remember playing Advance Wars on the DS, but didn't stay since I did not understand turn-based combat and mechanics at the time.
For Reboot Camp being delayed twice due to recent global war events, it is understandable and frustrating to see a masterpiece be held back.
Screenshot_20221129-174304_YouTube.jpg

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm personally hoping for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 4.

I loved UA3 and I'd love to see how they expand the roster for the next game especially with the new additions they've had to the MCU with the Multiverse (More Black Panther characters, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, and classic X-Men would be really nice)

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm personally hoping for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 4.

I loved UA3 and I'd love to see how they expand the roster for the next game especially with the new additions they've had to the MCU with the Multiverse (More Black Panther characters, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, and classic X-Men would be really nice)
Between live service Avengers losing money, and the likes of Guardians of the Galaxy/Midnight Suns underperforming, it would be nice for a Marvel team up game to actually be a hit again.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
What i want in this direct, is a fakeout trailer where you think that is something new about Smash, but instead you get something with a disappointing shock factor.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Have to give kudos to the Direct for having much better variety than the last one, even if most of the games didn't do much for me. Illusion Island looks great, the Yoshi's Island course is really cool, and while I'm still not entirely sold on Tears of a Kingdom, there is promise there.

Decent variety for RPG fans if nothing else, and I'm happy Advance Wars is out of limbo.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So can I just mention how much of a trip down memory lane this Nintendo Direct felt like? I mean, look at the old games getting remasters or new games.
-Metroid Prime
-Baten Kaitos 1 and 2
-Samba de Amigo
-Ghost Trick
-Professor Layton
-Fantasy Life
-Katamari Demacy
-Etrian Odyssey
-Power Pros

And even the titles we knew about already really added to it.
-Advance Wars
-Megaman Battle Network
-Xenoblade showing off Shulk and Rex
-Mario Kart 8 bringing Birdo and the new Yoshi's Island track.
-Splatoon 3 returning to Inkopolis from Splatoon 1
-Tales of Symphonia Remastered

And then the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance coming to Nintendo Switch Online. Like, this honestly felt like a trip down memory lane with past game series being shown and DLC having content from old games deal.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
ahem

To all those who said in the past that Layton had no future and that his franchise was dead...

Look who's back!

I'm so happy my boy is finally back!
Level-5 as a whole is back! A new IP that honestly looks pretty neat, Fantasy Life getting a sequal, PROFESSOR LAYTON COMING BACK, the only thing missing is that Yo-kai Watch 4 English release.

Yeah, I know, that's probably dead, but LET ME DREAM, HAROLD!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Level-5 as a whole is back! A new IP that honestly looks pretty neat, Fantasy Life getting a sequal, PROFESSOR LAYTON COMING BACK, the only thing missing is that Yo-kai Watch 4 English release.

Yeah, I know, that's probably dead, but LET ME DREAM, HAROLD!
The way they slowly build up was quite something, first that detective game that looked like a Level-5 game, only to find out it actually was a Level-5 game, then the reveal of a new Fantasy Life, then a teaser for the next Layton game.

Level-5 wanted to make a comeback to the west, and they certainly did so as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully we'll hear about the western release of yo-Kai Watch 4 and Inazuma Eleven soon too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom